Liveblog: Canadiens will draft third

Three

Nothing changed for the Canadiens.
They finished third from the bottom in the final NHL standings, and the draft lottery draw left the Canadiens picking third when the draft is held in Pittsburgh on June 22
Edmonton moved up a notch into the first spot, bumping poor Columbus to second.

•  •  •

When CBC Radio’s beautiful and talented Andie Bennett asked Andrei Markov about the progress of P.K. Subban, the defenceman gruffly ansered “Next question.”

When pressed, Markov declined comment.

What to make of this?

In his RDS column, Renaud Lavoie sugests Markov was expressing a negative attitude toward Subban that is prevalent in the Canadiens’ room.

I don’t buy it.

As François Gagnon said onL’Antichambre Monday, this was more a case of being Markov being Markov: Self-consciously inscrutable, indifferent to his responsibilities as a leader in the room.

Look, P.K. is not everyone’s cup of tea.

He’s a hot dog, which for me is not entirely a negative. Bell Centre fans appreciate players with panache, and Subban is their man.

He’s a 22-year-old work in progress. And P.K. matured as the season progressed.

P.K. led the team in ToI, averaging more than 24 minutes per game. Playing in all situations and matched, with Josh Gorges, against the opponents’ best forwards, P.K. was plus-9 on a last-place team.

He made $875,000.

Markov’s salery was $5.75 million. He averaged 18 minutes in 13 games and was minus-4.

Next question.

• Good reading: Mitch Melnick’s year-end summary. My favourite part is Melnick’s demolition of  the know-nothings who knock Carey Price.

• I can’t believe Chris F. Lee is working the playoffs

1. I feel soooo bad for Columbus HAHAHAHAHAHAH

2. Mark C says:

Look at that loser grin. How does he still have a GM job?

3. slapshot777 says:

The Oilers must have something on the NHL. Three years in a row picking first. I guess this will be the “Edmonton Model” everyone will be looking at now.

4. Marc10 says:

Yakupov is going to look great in Edmonton.

That opens things up for us nicely. Big Center or dominant D?

5. Psycho29 says:

The only thing better than us getting 3rd is Toronto getting 5th

6. mb says:

Edmonton again?? C’mon.

7. jo_maka says:

Aaaaah f*($&)(&%(&*(“&&/(“/K !!!!!!!!!!!.

OK, if we can get either Grigo or Gally, I’m cool.

There should be a rule preventing teams to be in the lottery five years in a row, this is gettin outta hand. EDM can’t play for crap and get all the goods every single year…..smh….
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

8. Adidess says:

Tanking is too easy. My gosh, these Edmonton guys will never stop!

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Bloody Oilers!

That could have been our choice!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

10. gmd says:

I can’t believe how lucky the Oilers are in this draft lottery

11. Mattyleg says:

Jesus Christ.
    Hilarious.
    Poor Shitty Columbus.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Boomer says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get galchenyuk

• jo_maka says:

I second that motion. Here’s hoping Burkie ain’t gonna sell the farm to EDM to get that 1st pick
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

13. HabFanSince72 says:

OK I’ll take it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

14. Adidess says:

Ah shucks!

15. manu07 says:

Leafs suck. Hahaha and will still suck

16. Mattyleg says:

This is hilarious.
    Such a fix.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. EricInStL says:

100 years ago today the Titanic sunk

18. kempie says:

Are they seriously going to milk a whole hour out of this?

19. nickster13 says:

Yakupov may be small, but he hits, plays big, and just. scores. goals.
    No problem!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

20. Un Canadien errant says:

Ken Morrow looks thoughtful and lucid. Wow. Back in the day when he was playing, with that crazy beard of his, I always thought that he could literally get away with murder. No jury would ever convict him, I was certain, judging by the empty eyes and the frozen expression.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

21. punkster says:

Boone…wasn’t it “Night on Bald Mountain” by Mussorgsky?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

22. manu07 says:

Must suck to know in the back of your head you might be going to Columbus. Feel bad for Nail!

23. longbow says:

I’m freaking out at the possibility of the laffs getting first.Fingers and toes crossed !

“A constant smirk upon the face, and a whiffing activity of the body, are strong indications of futility.” Lord Chesterfield

24. McKanadiens says:

Please don’t let the Leafs take 1st overall. I wanna have a good night. Scratch that. A good summer.

25. Mike D says:

C’mon lottery! We didn’t have the worst season in 70-some years to not get 1st overall. At the very least, don’t knock us down a notch.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

26. boing007 says:

“My legs is my bread” says Nail … and Kate Upton.

You forgot Cyd Charisse and Betty Grable.

Richard R

27. Mattyleg says:

I have a feeling that this might be anticlimactic: Columbus with first pick, and everything else just kinda falls into place like it should.

Anybody else think that?

I’d like to get the #1, but…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chuck says:

___________________________________________________

28. Tharsis says:

RDS stream
    ———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

29. HabFanSince72 says:

The loosened tie takes your attention away from his man boobs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

30. Natty-Dread says:

Forsberg or Galchenyuk?? Havn’t had a great swede on the habs since Naslund. Except for Sundstrom….

31. Kimberly2u says:

What’s funny is our little guys taking out goalies…Gionta took out Reimer and DD injured another goalie….Ours…lol….who says we need size???

32. Adidess says:

The word truculence sounds so funny coming out of Burkie’s mouth, I can never resist to laugh when he says it. Am the only one who laughs when this happens? -)

33. slapshot777 says:

If the Habs get the first overall pick, do they draft Nail, or skip over him?

34. The HonestFan says:

Could we not have sent a waitress from mclean’s pub to represent !!

35. NHL is saying watch live on TSN
    AND TSN IS DOING A FACKING LIVE BLOG
    F OFF TSN

36. gmd says:

Sick of Burke and his truculance crap.

• Chuck says:

I love it… means they’ll continue to be misguided and not get any better.

___________________________________________________

37. manu07 says:

Why does Burke even wear a tie!

38. jo_maka says:

I don’t know about nixonian, but I’d say he looks like a consigliere from the demi monde up there
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

39. temekuhabs says:

Doesn’t Burke ever pull up his tie???

40. The HonestFan says:

Burke looks humble/ beaten !!

41. Mattyleg says:

Man, that tie is just hanging in there, Burkie…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. MikeMcLaren says:

Brian Burke looks like he’s saddled up at a bar. There is a top-button on that shirt, y’know!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

43. Lap4Cap says:

Anyone have a link? No tsn at work!

Hello, I’m Jordan and I hate Julie…

44. EricInStL says:

They should have sent Guy Lafleur to be at the lottery

45. FineHab says:

In Brazil Airport got wifi had to find out… Thanks Boone!

46. Natty-Dread says:

Montreal should trade up to have a second 1st round pick

47. Stev.R says:

I’ve got a good feeling about this.

48. Are they showing it on RDS as well?

49. HabFanSince72 says:

“The Mute button was invented for Jennifer Hedger”

If only this wasn’t a family blog …

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

50. Mondou6 says:

Anyone have an internet feed of this?

51. The HonestFan says:

Go! Moose heads !!!

52. HabFanSince72 says:

“Bill Daly is running it for the NHL”

The fix is in.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

53. English is not a Crime says:

From Below:
    HabFanSince72
    April 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    How good is this Murray fellow? He didn’t have a very good WJC.
    —————————————————————

Well he scored a hat trick in the semi finals (Canada vs Russia). Unfortunately all three goals were into his own net. Not his best game we’ll say.

54. Mattyleg says:

I’m glad RDS is covering the Preds – Wings series. That’s going to be awesome.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing about the Hockey 360 set, Boone!
    Bit of a pre-lottery cuddle I guess.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. darcy1 says:

i refuse to watch on TSN, but will read your blog Boone!!!!
    Thanks for all the entertainment throughout a terrible year!

——————-
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”
    - Jean Beliveau

56. habsfanforever7631 says:

Tony Marinaro has this qmjhl and ohl scout on tsn990.
    He asked him that since the Habs have Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, so it’s probably unlikely that the Habs pick Dumba.
    The guy said that that the habs will probably draft Galchenyuk but they should give concideration do Dumba. He also when on to say that maybe Dumba is better then all 3 Habs dmen. Also that Dumba will probably be a future number 1 dmen.

57. VancouverHab says:

Just watched Burke ‘s interview on TSN: he was a diabolical blowhard here in Vancouver and he is a an even more diabolical blowhard in TO.

– blames Brian Gionta for his goalkeeping problems? And calls it a “blindside hit”? What a cretin.

– says he’s more upset than the fans? Hey, moron: you get to make the decisions — and have for four years — while the fans have to merely live with the crap you dish out. Crybaby.

– swears when asked why he doesn’t follow the Pens’ model, and says it was just a lottery pick. Then why trade away first round picks, bonehead.

I could go on. But now the bile’s excreted I’m fine again ;–)

• darcy1 says:

he does trade away 1st round lottery picks (see: Kessel, Phil)

——————-
      - Jean Beliveau

• matt jordan says:

James Reimer became the first player in the NHL to suffer an injury to a Brian Gionta hit.

58. nickster13 says:

ANY LIVE FEEDS!???? IMPORTANT!!!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

59. Mattyleg says:

Wow!!
    I just realized, this is the Tankers’ MOMENT OF TRUTH.
    This is what all their nonsense and BS all season has been about!
    This is the Tankers’ Stanley Cup!!

Kinda sad, really.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. habstrinifan says:

Boone:
    “Chris F. Lee in the playoffs? What, Stevie Wonder is touring?”

That is briliiantly funny Boone. I mean it. How the F did Stevie Wonder pop into your mind like that.

Wicked!

61. Mondou6 says:

Boone, don’t goof on us for following the lottery! We suffered through 82 games this year for this moment. :)

I’m nervous about it. If we get 3rd I’ll be happy. If we get 4th, I’ll be pissed.

Also, with all due respect to Melnick, anyone who puts Price over Cole as Hab player of the year can’t be taken seriously. How many games would Cole have to score to overtake Price? 60? Good lord, give me a break.

62. MICP says:

The video, Is that Boones date?

63. Mattyleg says:

Holy Eff.
    Is TSN actually doing a hockey pool live?
    What a goddamn yawn-fest!
    Jaysus…
    RDS all the way.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. Marc10 says:

Oh we have better things to do Mike… we just choose not to do them.

It’s a brisk Wednesday morning in Sydney Australia. For a minute on my ride into work I thought it was going to snow. I’ll take that as a sign of good things to come.

65. joeybarrie says:

I almost knocked over Marc Crawford on Saturday coming out of the Sheraton. I told him, relax, take your time…. The game is meaningless. Why rush???
    he laughed along with the 3 people he was with. I said good luck and walked off, I was in a rush to get a drink.

• Mattyleg says:

Who? Name witheld to protect him and his family?
      [edit - aha. Took a while with the name. Thought it was someone of substance. ;)]

—Hope Springs Eternal—

66. habs001 says:

Right now unless markov comes back to some form of his old self we have only pk that provides any offense from the d…you cannot win with no offense from your d…

67. The HonestFan says:

Christopher,
    The only heavyweight available is John Scott out of NYR/ CHI. Big 6’7 an excellent fighter. Stick with Staubitz. Has proven he’ll stick up for his mates.

68. EricInStL says:

If I remember correctly, there was a Lotto administrator who said, if you ever wanted to fix the result of a lottery the best way to do it would be with a ping pong ball system…

Good luck Toronto…. ;7)

69. Cal says:

This is the time when all Hab fans should cross their fingers and hope to win the lottery. I have no doubt the player drafted will be at the very least a highly-rated prospect.
    Is it time to dig out the Yak horn?

70. Un Canadien errant says:

Watching the Top Ten plays of the regular season on TSN, and once I was over the fact that #10 and #9 were two ex-Canadiens who left the team with no tangible return, I really enjoyed the spectacular plays. Breathtaking save by Ondrej Pavelec, dazzling stickhandling, both Penguins supernovastars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin contributing….

One thing I didn’t see in the Top Ten was a goalmouth scramble. A goal scored from a ‘dirty area’. A player ‘taking his man’ at the faceoff. A player being responsible without the puck. Truculence.

Yet in today’s wrap-up in both Toronto and Winnipeg, both GM’s spoke about getting bigger. Unequivocally. As if more size is an unalloyed boon.

No one spoke about needing more skill or skating or putting on a better show for the fans who cough up more than $100 per seat. No one said we need talent on this team. Once Brian Burke was done blaming Brian Gionta for the underwhelming performance by his un-pedigreed, flash-in-the-pan out-of-nowhere goalie, he explained that his team wasn’t big enough to play the way he wanted it to. Again, not lacking in talent or scoring or defence or goaltending, but merely size.

I fear for the children.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• PeterD says:

Burke is about to sign a couple of free agent Orcs and one troll out of Mordor to add some size…they may not have good skating skills but they will have truculence.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Good news.

Looks like the NHL have found a buyer for the Yotes – who will keep the team in Phoenix.

Peladeau, Labeaume, ‘Diques fans: You still have no team. HA HA.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

You know what would have been hilarious?

Phoenix wins the Stanley Cup this year and moves to Quebec in the fall.

Sort of bookends their dumb luck from 15+ years ago when the Nords moved to Denver and won the Cup in their very first year…

As for somebody buying the ‘yotes and keeping ‘em in Phoenix, I’ll believe it when I see it and furthermore you gotta be an idiot to want ‘em and keep ‘em there…

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      Brian Burke, re-branding crap in Laff Nation for 4 years now.
      Jaroslav Halak is Brian FREAKIN’ Elliott’s backup in St. Louis.

• HabFanSince72 says:

My understanding is that the city of Glendale has an agreement with the league that the team won’t move. This is why they are paying $25M/yr to the league.

Of course, an agreement with Gary Bettman is probably as good as an agreement with Tony Montana or Mom Boucher.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Jim Treliving (CBC Dragon’s Den) broadly hinted that he might be involved in a deal for the Coyotes, refusing to deny it when George Strombolopoulos asked him about it directly, just smiling and staying silent. Not sure what anyone would be interested in with this franchise, unless they got a very favourable agreement from the League if it had to relocate. The city isn’t chipping in any more money, they’d be on the hook for huge losses every year.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• steve17 says:

Are you serious. That would be coincidental since the city is now asking for their money back

Habfan17

72. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s not so bad if we fall one position.

#1 team picks the Yak.

Edm picks Murray.

The other team in the top 3 picks Grigs or Galchenyuk.

Means we are almost certain to get one of Grigs and Galchenyuk.

And if we win we get the Yak.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• PeterD says:

Unless …
      1) Columbus picks – Yak
      2) Edmonton picks Grigorenko
      3) picks Galenchyuk
      4) Habs pick ?

Sure seems like everyone figures Edmonton will pick Murray becasue they need D…but who doesn’t need big Centres?

I gues Forsberg wouldn’t be too bad as a highly competitive guy at Wing.

73. habitunts1 says:

Would love to get thru a trade in the offseason an enforcer one who could tangle with Lucic and Thorton from the Ruins and not get there ass kicked. Anyone available ?

christopher

• HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is that – by definition – any fighter who could beat Lucic will not get to fight Lucic.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

How about the Habs trade for Lucic?

HAhahahahahahahahahahaha! I’m just kiddin’, I wouldn’t want that orangutang here.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      Brian Burke, re-branding crap in Laff Nation for 4 years now.
      Jaroslav Halak is Brian FREAKIN’ Elliott’s backup in St. Louis.

• AH says:

John Erskine – Washington…not sure of his status, but check out his fight with Lucic on youtube…that’s the guy I want. If we had him and Staubitz, look out!