Liveblog: Another lead blown, but a Shootout W

MarkovBack

MORNING SKATE AUDIO: Andrei Markov | Josh Gorges | Randy Cunneyworth

Two leads, actually.
1-0 and 2-1.
It’s that kind of season.

Shootout

Max-Pac: Save

Michalek: Sprawling stick save

DD: Backhand goal

Spezza: Save

Markov: Save

Alfredsson: SAVE!!

1. Adidess says:

@ L Elle
    Think about the loss you need, not the win they’ll get. Tanking is not for the faint hearted, I tell ya. You have to want it!

2. L Elle says:

Sorry fellow Tankommentariat, Ottawa is probably my least favourite team. Can’t bring myself to hope to lose THREE times to them.

I’d need therapy after. ;)

3. nellis13 says:

What if Gomez got amnesia and for got that he sucks….

• ZepFan2 says:

If he does, the mgmt better tell him his name is Wayne Gretzky.

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

4. Propwash says:

HAA! Cool, Kabs named his son the same as mine, spelled the same way as well.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

5. Adidess says:

Agreeing with the spirits on here right now…

A few weeks ago, a lot of us including me, were feeling too dignified to want a loss when we watch the team play. I am not there anymore.

I still jumped up when DD scored that tying goal late against Buffalo, before I slapped myself back to reason.

6. Propwash says:

@ Mondou, “Slacka for Faksa”???

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

7. Bertuzzi says:

Anyways, why does he have his rings in his ears? That doesn’t make sense.

8. Propwash says:

Gotta pick up Mamabear at work, so Ill be hearing the 1st on the radio.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

9. Bripro says:

Time to bail! Off to the other musketeers’ for beer, nuts (no, not the exclamation type after a bad game), recliners and big screen for a good game! Guinness anyone?

10. Bripro says:

Wow, that’s a pretty nasty stat that Boone just posted about the goals for/against in the 3rd. Ottawa look pretty nasty in the 3rd.
    Nasty I tell ya, Nasty!

11. Habitoba says:

Probably the brewskies starting to kick in before the game but I gotta say it’s nice to see some many of my fellow Habs brethren and sisteren (?) root for the Jets like that. I’ve been to many-a-Jets-game this season and can now only imagine how it’s like at the Bell Centre with an extra 6k wild (not Minnesota) fans.

However, whoever is in charge for all the pre-gamr celebrations in Mtl to talk to our guys. Ours suck. We had a 10 minute tribute to the first water used to make the ice at the MTS centre to brew some Budweiser. Then, on a red carpet, two ceo execs drank that beer. No speech, no thank yous, not even a special beer price for the game. Just two rich fatcats drinking beer in front of us schmucks.

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

Markov’s first home game in a long time, I expect the Bell Centre to be rocking & the home team to dish out a butt kicking against the Sens.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Mavid says:

.04% chance not zero..not yet…

14. Mavid says:

@fansincebirth..I feel your pain..me too..worse fans bar none..yes even leaf fans…

15. Fansincebirth says:

Questions on here about who to cheer for in the playoffs and I can tell you that 100% I will never cheer for the Sens. I live in Ottawa and I have to deal with the pompous, arrogant, no-mind fans on a regular basis and my hatred of the Sens stems from them.

16. Jdub1985 says:

wait … hockey season is still going on?

17. L Elle says:

Does this 3 game series with Ottawa make it a 12-pointer?

EVERY TIME THERE IS A CONCUSSION< SUCH AS GOMEZ< I WANT TO PUT THIS UP!

After concussion, severe depression and it can kill.!

What is a concussion?, as comprehended and explained by myself.
    I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university. I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium. And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept. from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study and offering some of my former findings from my own autopsy's So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject pertaining to concussion, but I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void. Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage. Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage as the calcium solidifies upon second impact. Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.
    These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death. This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing. Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.
    Ian Cobb

19. Mavid says:

@dulljerk..your name is appropriate..I am late with the response as I needed to down some chow so I am prepared for the game at 7 as far as taking Neil in a minute..never..not in any minutes/hours/days/or years..he is a slug..with a giant cement head..there have I been clear enough for you?

I squirm in my chair on every shift hoping for the best play for our guys. I want to win every shift, but I also want a shot at a 1st over all draft pick for just once.

• ZepFan2 says:

That’s how I feel, Ian. If they win, great. If they lose, oh well.

If they’re going to lose, lose proud. Don’t roll over for any team.

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

21. Mavid says:

cheer for the senaturds..never..the jets..maybe the rangers..I like what torts has done with them..an original six..but I will see who makes it and go from there..the Jets would be really nice..I could get behind them 100%

22. Hobie Hansen says:

@Burlington

When Desharnais was jumping up and down after scoring that late goal in Buffalo it was a clear signal that the majority of players on this team are still busting their buts and hungry to win.

Subban, Cole and others were super excited and busting their asses trying to tie that game.

So while management might make subtle lineup adjustments that they wouldn’t in an important game it is impressive to see the majority of players trying to win every game.

New coach, healthy squad and 82 games next year there is no way this team doesn’t make the playoffs.

• Mondou6 says:

That’s true, but I want to contend for the Cup, not scrape for the 8th seed again.

If we hit a superstar player in the lottery next year, we could contend for a Cup.

If not, we could make the playoffs, and a likely early exit.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The cards will fall as they will. No GM, coach or team ahead of us are purposely trying to lose either.

I think with zero changes next year we make the playoffs, if healthy. The following season a little better and so on…

Serious Question to those that want the Habs to lose remaining games. I am fully in agreement that the better our draft position this season the better it is for our teams future. Having said that, to want a team to lose is to say I want the players on the Habs to play like crap, I want them to intentionally lose. But do any you actually cheer for a loss?

Our team is going to finish where it finishes, the last thing I would want to find out is that players on this squad were so comfortable in their position on this team that they felt losing to gain a better player was in their best interests.

I don’t think many people actually cheer for a loss, but are rather given a silver lining when the game is over and we have lost the game. But part of this team improving is learning every shift and every game how to work better with each other and improve their weaknesses.

I speak for myself only, but i cannot watch a shift or a game and hope the other team keeps scoring and we play like crap. I will say that this team is what it is, and because of that, we will lose more than we win from here on out.

• mdp2011 says:

I am the same way, I actually did a few fist pumps when DD scored to tie the game on Monday. I know the season is toast and I want the Habs to get the highest possible draft pick, but I still get excited when the score or play a good game. On the other hand, if the Habs keep winning, the Loafs might end up with a higher draft pick than the Habs, and we can’t have that.

• Mondou6 says:

Yeah, it’s hard because I’m rooting for the players to play well, to reach goal and points milestones, etc.

But intellectually, we desperately need a good player in the draft. Winning a bunch of games and ending up with a mediocre pick does not help us at all for next year.

So I’m torn…I cheer when we score, like the last second one in Buffalo. But then when the game is over, and I see us moving closer to losing out on a good pick, I get kind of bummed out.

I wish we were as bad as Columbus, and had the pick sewn up, so I could just root for us to win with no regrets later.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is they will play like crap no matter what.

Against Buffalo we just sucked. Somehow we managed to get a consolation point.

But the point doesn’t help.

And it isn’t like we can feel good about the team after that performance.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habitoba says:

Yeah, I just want to see them keep trying. If they lose, they lose. Hurray better draft. If they win, even better. Maybe they can end the season on a (slight) positive and string a few wins in a row and carry that attitude along with a clean slate mentality and get ‘er goin’ next year.

• Bripro says:

I think everyone’s unanimous.
      Give us some good entertainment, but lose just enough that a high draft pick is a given.

• Cal says:

I hate watching the Habs lose. I hate even hearing about them having a losing season. I really hate those taking joy in it with their “Fail for Nail” or other a-hole slogans like that. I agree with Viggo- the Habs will be back with a vengeance next season!

Side Bar Question. Cheering for the senators in the play offs or not.

I will answer after i know who else makes the play offs.
    1st pick this year will probably be Winterpeg! I am just happy that those folks have a team again.

25. kholdstare says:

Hello all what is new? I see the terrible poll questions continue. I must say I am slightly relieved it’s about the lesser of two evils.

26. Mondou6 says:

I’m still laughing at “Stinko for Grinko”, “Upchuck for Galneychuk”, and “Hit an Iceberg for Forsberg” from the previous thread.

I think we’re covered.

27. AK_PK_Usay says:

Duno about you guys, but Im worried we beat Ottawa both games.

Ottawa plays soft, Habs play at their best VS non physical teams, look at Vancouver…

Montreal has NOTHING to lose, Id say that takes a load off your shoulders.

Price is more rested than usual and he was excellent in Vancouver.

On a side note, Cole seems to have some sort of injury, why not let him heal it and save him for next year… Would like a top 5 pick and even that looks iffy.

How in god’s name is Columbus and Edmonton so sucky!!!??? does the coach put sleeping pills in their gatorade!?

28. Price07 says:

The habs really have to stop winning, the leafs, oilers and islanders are sucking too much lately..i hope the sens sweep this series

29. FlyingFrenchie says:

Kaberle has looked like he was expecting a baby for most of the season. Perhaps his play will improve once he give’s birth.

30. HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t mind losing those three games to the Sens. It would help them gain home ice advantage over the Bruins, it would help us get a better draft position, and in a small way it hurts the Leafs.

it’s the old win-win-win.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Wow just read the old threads, that is really a shame that Markov is no longer an NHL player, so glad some were patient enough to give a guy 2 whole games back after missing essentially 2 years to make their judgements. I think I personally will enjoy watching him slowly get back back up to speed and then really enjoy watching him play as an all star next year. Too bad some people won’t get to enjoy that. Should be great.

• punkster says:

How was your game? Where did you play?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Had a good front 9 then suffered on the back, stupid tall cans of beer playing at a course with no kitchen open! Weather was fantastic! Greens were rough. But I just ordered all new woods, I am sure once I get the new Taylor made rocket ballz woods I will finally become a scratch golfer!
        Edit:@Punkster, played a local course Burlington Springs, nothing special but they give me some leeway, I played 23 holes in 4 hours 20 minutes, was sooo good to be back out again. Hope you guys get the weather soon!

• Bripro says:

I don’t know how many times I scratch my balls, but it doesn’t help my handicap one bit. I’m still mental!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I like your style, I replaced my Dr, 3w, 3–4 hibrid, 5-LW and I assume I will become a scratch golfer.

Things new clubs didn’t correct: Duck hook, low hook, dead pull. I should have paid for lessons instead!

• Bripro says:

C’mon Gerry… you know how it works by now. You’ve been at this longer than me. There has to be someone to complain about, otherwise their lives aren’t complete!
      I’m surprised I haven’t read a post yet where Gomez, upon being concussed the other night, should have been shipped to a penal colony for theft and grand larceny instead of to the hospital.

• twilighthours says:

We can cheer the guy and hope he does well but still wish the money were spent elsewhere, sir.

32. joeybarrie says:

@Mavid
    My advice is to ditch your husband tonight and go watch the game at a bar. Get some guys to buy you a few drinks and consider it compensation for all the charity work you do. (as in marrying a Sens fan)
    Then when you get home make sure he knows how happy you are that we beat the Sens tonignt and there is more to come before the season is over.
    Make sure to get the phone numbers of the guys who bought you the drinks and leave them on the kitchen table. You will most likely not have a problem with only one TV going forward.

• fastfreddy says:

I hope that as soon as the regular season is over, Mr.Molson fires Gauthier. We’ll need a new GM and coach heading to Draft day.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Bripro says:

This is true, since she’ll more than likely have her own place to watch it from.
      Sound advice Joey.
      I’m going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you’re either still single, or recently divorced.

33. Mavid says:

no worries HH I am not the sensitive type…

34. Bripro says:

Wow, this place is dead.
    Come the end of the year, we’ll see the tumble weeds rolling by….

• ZepFan2 says:

Hello…hello…hello…is there anybody out there?

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

Weird seeing a Zep fan reference Floyd, but still a good post.

• ZepFan2 says:

Zep isn’t the only band I like. They’re just my favourite.

Besides, who doesn’t like Floyd?

———————————————————————-
          “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• Bripro says:

Over the hills….comfortable numb… hmmm which one.
            It’s so difficult to decide which goes better with BC bud.

Love Floyd! Name of my next Bernese Mountain Dog will be Floyd, I am running out of Germanic based names.

@bri, check with Boone it should be fresh in his memory!

• Bripro says:

My first concert was Floyd at the old Autostad in ’75, where the plane crashed behind the stage.
            It was the best concert I’ve ever experienced, and I’ve seen them as well as other several times since. But there was nothing like it.

EDIT: LOL on your Boone comment.

• ZepFan2 says:

“Over the hills….comfortably numb… hmmm which one.”

Why not both?

———————————————————————-
            “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• ZepFan2 says:

@bri

I was at that concert as well. Was just a kid and got in free after the guards were basically forced to open the gates.

First ever concert…Alice Cooper.

———————————————————————-
            “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• db says:

I’m a Ledhed too :) I was lucky enough to see Page n Plant twice… once at the Montreal Forum in 1995 and once in Ontario place in 98. The outdoor Ontario Place show was intimate, there were only 2000 of us but there was limited Zep, it was the Walking into Clarksdale tour. The Forum show in Montreal was FANTASTIC. The Tea Party opened for a great set and then Page and Plant got the led out for over 3 hours!! I’m 32 now.. and was JUST lucky enough to get to see ‘em twice!

First concert: I was 16, Pink Floyd and a week later Rolling Stones, both at the Big O… and then I worked at the Bell Centre and got spoiled silly :)

• ZepFan2 says:

@DB

Saw Zep in ’75 and was going to see them (with backstage passes) in ’80. But of course we all know what happened.

You work at the Bell? Do you know a cop that works there named Nadia?

———————————————————————-
            “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

35. Mavid says:

TSN..really…well its the lesser of two evils..especially now that McGuire is gone…good..Mike Johnson is decent..maybe I will get lucky and he will be on..here on Bell there is a TSN Montreal channel..

• savethepuck says:

I am on Rogers in the Maritimes. It is not on Sportsnet East, West or Pacific but it is on TSN ( and I don’t get the Bell channel that shows all the games )

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

36. tom13 says:

When will they find a new gm and coach

37. DorvalTony says:

Time to see White Darche Moen Staubitz Blunden Cunneyworth Ladouceur talk to Bourque. Like him but he’s got too much Pouliot in him. Wake up baby.

Thank you Bob Gainey. Thank you Pierre Gauthier.

• db says:

It would help if he actually wanted to play for Montreal. A couple of years ago he was checking into a hotel in the Rockies. My friend was the front desk guy that greeted him, in French. After Rene said that he didn’t understand, my friend asked if he would ever consider Montreal (this was before Bourque signed his current deal). He said he would not, ever. Too crazy a place to play. I’m sure things have changed and he’ll never admit to it but it was said. I like him, but I don’t really care about whether he stays or goes. A new GM is all I want to see.

38. DorvalTony says:

Nice to see Chara as a spokesperson for “You Can Play.”

Because after all he really is all about respect.

39. Mavid says:

yes online..with headphones on..thanks…

re..Chara vs Neil..not sure which fight you were watching, but I was at the game just a few rows up..Chara just played with him..and Chara lost his footing..Neil never took him down..listen I hate Chara just as much as anyone..but keep it real..if Chara wanted to he could have pounded Neil in to no mans land..I have no doubt Staubitz can handle Neil..no problem..

i guess the Viggo would confuse some folks..however I am 100% female..I just happen to love hockey..more than just about anything..and I love my habs..I am after all a habaholic…i always think I am talking to or listening to Kirk Muller

• HardHabits says:

I love Viggo too but that avatar’s look always made me think you were a pompous man. And I didn’t like the competition. :-) So my apologies for any rudeness I used against you.

• savethepuck says:

I am pretty sure the game is on TSN and not being broadcast on SportsNet at all. So even though the TSN guys are not great, you don’t have to deal with Brown and Potvin.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• habstrinifan says:

It may be my post re Chara/Neil that you are replying to. I was not ‘at’ the game but watched it as much as I could stand on TV. It was the first game back in Ottawa for Chara with Boston (not the recent fight). And Neil did have Chara on his knees at hi smercy ad ad a punched cock ready to be delivered… but he held back. Chara patted Neil on the thighs as he rose. It was not ‘a slip’ in the tussle Chara went to ice and was at Neil’s mercy.

I remember the ‘respect’ shown between the two but Neil could have done real damage.

Aside: HH is right your avatar can scare the sh##@# . Cool!

40. alwayssunny says:

Pretty excited to see St. Denis. We can never have too many good little defensemen.

41. ogilthorpe says:

It would be right up there with Price snubbing Chara at the AllStar picks!!!

• 24moreCups says:

Price didn’t really snub Chara, he already had his back turned to him walking up the stairs when Chara went to shake his hand.

Even though I would have enjoy it.

42. ogilthorpe says:

Just a thought… If Paks DOES win the Masterton he should dedicate it to Chara when accepting…. Can you imagine the reactions???? ESPECIALLY from the broadstreet Bullies!!!!

43. Buzz Lightbeer says:

kaberle has a baby 9 months -1 day of winning stanley cup. hmmm, lucky twice on the same day.

44. joedacrabb33 says:

Staubitz vs Lucic or Thornton

who wins?

• shiram says:

No one wins, when fighting with your playmates.

• krob1000 says:

one wins one day the other wins another…..those guys are all tough as nails …any one of them can win on any given day….

• matt jordan says:

In a classic game of one on one shinny (Gord Bombay style, first to three posts) between Staubitz and Lucic i have to go with Lucic, seeing how Staubitz has zero goals this year. Same result with Thornton, but a closer game.

• Bill says:

LOL, Lucik wouldn’t fight Staubitz. He only fights small guys.

And anyway, the Code™ does exist to a certain extent: goons don’t expect real players to fight them. They know they’re supposed to fight each other.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• DorvalTony says:

Staubitz wouldn’t get hurt but he’d take too many to win. Seems to be reluctant to throw unless it’s a KO attempt. Good with uppercuts though and ambidextrous. But not big enough to do well against either.

Thank you Bob Gainey. Thank you Pierre Gauthier.

45. habstrinifan says:

I have a question to any hio poster who live in Mtl.

How involved is Gauthier with functions etc in Montreal. Does he make appearances in behalf of the team. I know he lives in Vermont!

46. Mavid says:

well here is my delema…we only have one TV as we are having our hardwood floors re done..my husband is a Sens fan..and will insist on watching those horrible homers including Potvin…someone may get hurt tonight…what should I do..I need some advise

if we are going to win anymore games for the rest of the season it MUST be these two…and I hope Staubitz pounds Neil into the ice.pretty please.

47. The Jackal says:

Bill – maybe that’s where their confidence issues come from?

48. shiram says:

Are Leafs really complaining about Phaneuf? He does not seem to play so differently then he did last season.

• Bill says:

Their complaining is based on their belief earlier this season that he was going to win the Norris trophy. Now that the team has come back to earth and everyone is playing normally, they’re disappointed all over again.

Full Breezer 4 Life

49. Hobie Hansen says:

OK the “Fail for Nail” campaign is on hold for one game folks. I have 3 separate $5 bets with co-workers that the Habs will be victorious against the Sens tonight. Since there’s no playoffs I had to do something to make a Habs game interesting.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah my buddy bet a case of beer and he’s a big time Sens fan, I couldn’t turn it down, so here’s hoping the Habs come to play tonight.

50. Danno says:

Check this out:

Jacques Martin “head coach” of the Montreal Canadiens is holding a hockey school this summer:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

51. timothy13 says:

That is it completely right, the Montreal Canadiens are playing for pride tonight against the Ottawa Senators. Wow, surprising victories over Edmon & Van and a last second surge to force OT against Buff. Buff did have more @ stake but the Habs have shown glimpses of a spark but it is not great strength but still the team, management and the GM need changes as they are all a work in progress. GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. otter649 says:

Saw Stamkos 50th goal on Turco it looked like the 80s revisited……lol

53. I’ve got an extra ticket (white, row 3, section 323) for tonight. Anyone interested? I’m selling under face value.

54. habfan53 says:

Probably discussed yesterday if so sorry.
    RE: Radulov. If he was under contract and skipped he should not have to go thru waivers HOWEVER he should not be able to play this year.
    If Columbus had him signed and HE decided to play in the KHL then why should any other team have a claim on him??

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• db says:

I honestly think it’s on the team. He’s still under contract with them for his last year.. and he can get that completed by playing the last couple of games, then RFA status.. a win-win for the player and team.

Of course other GMs aren’t happy, but mainly because they don’t have a great player in the KHL. But, I don’t see much wrong with it. So what if player bails on a team and bolts to the KHL and is then invited back? I’m not going to bother with the team or player involved, that’s not the point. He was under contract, left, was invited back and will complete that contract.

Yes, he has a chance to make some big coin in the off season. And for the Preds, it shows to their pending UFA and RFA players that they are serious about this cup run and their future. Radulov, as an asset, is way better in the NHL. Win-win for both sides.

55. Mondou6 says:

The two-line offsides and “ringette” discussion seems to come down to either people wanting to see 100 foot passes up and down the ice, or, people wanting to see players forced to skate the puck up and down the ice.

Personally, I’d rather see players advancing the puck by skating, rather than whacking it back and forth the length of the ice.

The game now is often a defenseman slapping the puck out of his own end, toward a teammate stationed at the red line on the boards, that player either lets it go through, or assists the puck along by dumping down into the corner, and then the chase for the puck begins.

Although that is a “faster” game, I much rather see end to end rushes, and having players who can actually carry the puck around other players.

• Stev.R says:

I think reintroducing will not solve the problem to head hits in the neutral zone.

Lets face it, most of those hits come from suicide passes that dmen jump up and nail a vulnerable player. The red line will literally give the dman the exact spot the player is going to be when he gets the pass or at least limit the area the dman has to be concerned about.

Here’s a question, and I know it will sound crazy at first, but really think about it: What if they got rid of offsides?

This would completely open the ice up, change strategy, allow forwards a chance to get away from those big hits, and add more speed to the game.

• boing007 says:

… end to end rushes, and players who can actually carry the puck around other players…

Love to see some of that one of these days.

Richard R

56. Stev.R says:

What are the odds of Toronto giving up a ton to get Nash this summer?

57. Canus says:

Completely non-hockey related, and maybe even inappropriate, but, good on Huntingdon!

58. jon514 says:

Pierre Gauthier and Bryan Murray have a bet going tonight:

If the habs win (in the offseason): Mark Stone to the habs for a 2nd round pick.

If Ottawa wins (in the offseason): Mark Stone to the habs for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

Either way the habs win. Please?

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

Mike Boone might want to brush up on this guy because he’ll be in the line-up for Ottawa tonight.

Never heard of him? Get in line!

60. Bripro says:

So they’ve called up St-Denis.
    So that’s it for call ups, then.
    4 out of the allowed 4.
    I hope the entire team doesn’t get the flu.
    Of there’ll be a small bench to work from.

61. Mattyleg says:

Okay, time for Installment Three of:

March 1, 2011
    (with apologies to W.H. Auden)

Faces lit by online forums
    Cling to their average day:
    The server must never crash,
    The videos must always play,
    All the conventions conspire
    To make this site assume
    The furniture of the home-team;
    Lest we should see where we are,
    Lost in a troll-filled wood,
    Posters afraid of the night
    And a team that’s not been happy or good.

The windiest militant trash
    Important Posters shout
    Is not so crude as our wish:
    What mad Boone wrote
    About Gomez
    Is true of the normal heart;
    Oh the error bred in BG’s deal
    Now each Tanker and each fan
    Craves what it cannot have,
    Not AHL for G-Love
    But a playoff run’s zeal.

**More to come!!**

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

62. ZimHabwe says:

Now I see where all the Montreal Canadiens’ productivity went – To the bedroom. We’ve got a bunch of fertile men playing in this team. At least we’re good at something.

• Bill says:

Haha, now if our men are “fertile”, then we may have identified the larger problem: they must be women :)

Then again, there are not many Habs who deserve to be called potent, in my view.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HabFanSince72 says:

Given the number of nights they are away from home I would not presume that the rash of pregnancies is explainable only by the players’ fertility.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

63. aemarchand11 says:

Kaberles Wife: “We can have a baby if you win the Stanley Cup” (As if!.. muhahahahah!)
    *Kaberle Traded to Boston*

64. smiler2729 says:

Is the NHL getting stupider?

Winnipeg staying in the Southeast Division next year, sheer brilliance!
    A ringuette line???
    Keeping the trapezoid?
    Hybrid what????

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Chuck says:

They missed the boat on enlarging the ice surface, so I’d like to see some radical thinking to open things up: take out ALL of the lines.

___________________________________________________

• DorvalTony says:

Don’t agree with eliminating lines but enlarging the ice surface is 10 yrs overdue. The players get bigger every year. Except here that is.

“The ’76 and ’86 teams partied way more than ’08-’09.” – Mitch Melnick
        “Yeah but they WON!” – McLean

• Bripro says:

You can blame Donald Fehr and the NHLPA for that.
      The owners had a re-alignment planned, but the players put the kibosh to it.

• GrimJim says:

Re-alignment’s okay but the revised playoff format is flawed.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Agreed, but the NHLPA had time to voice their complaints and try for a compromise (Conference winners are seeded 1-4, 5-16 seeds awarded for points overall regardless of conference. Would have solved the different sized conferences and allowed any two teams to play for the Cup).

Instead they waited till the last second and vetoed it.

• GrimJim says:

Yes, but I suspect that it will be included in the new CBA. I’m sure the NHLPA will try to up the cap ceiling by 2-3% in return for re-alignment.

• boing007 says:

Why did the NHLPA hire a baseball guy to do their negotiating?

Richard R

• Chuck says:

Have you seen what some MLB players make?!

___________________________________________________

• mr dave says:

i think the players should have no say in the matter of realignment,to my knowledge the owners own teams not the players

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

65. smiler2729 says:

Congrats on the new addition, Tomas! We’ll rag on you some other day.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

There is no such thing as a clean hit to the head

The NHL should treat head shots the way the IIHF does. Any hit to the head, whether intentional or accidental is illegal. According to the IIHF there are No clean hits to the head.

This is how things should be dealt with at the NHL level. The NHL is a bush league run by hypocrites and lawyers. Sorry for the redundancy there.

Fighting as well should be abolished. No instigator penalty. Just give game misconducts to the fighters.

• Chuck says:

The NHL already goes this route with high sticks, so why can’t they also apply it to contact with the head?

___________________________________________________

• Malreg says:

I disagree with that statement.

There are some hits, that while they do make contact with the head, are perfectly clean hits. See most of Kronwall’s hits, like the one on Voracek.

If a winger received a pass and starts to skate up ice with his head down, the defenseman should have every right to lay him out. If a player steps into another player, and does not throw an elbow, or leave his feet, does not target the head and hits him square, it should be a legal hit.

• VintageFan says:

So if you are lost in thought and step off the curb without looking, that somehow makes it OK if I run you over?

• Malreg says:

If I’m carrying the puck on a hockey rink, then yes.

But nice comparable though.

• TINMAN17 says:

I don’t think “OK” is appropriate here. The driver should not be at fault if you are moronic enough to haphazardly step into traffic. That’s what signals and crosswalks are for. Boston – the land of Jaywalkers.
          Head down = crushing hit. Head in the clouds = crushing hit.
          Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Cal says:

The idea is to separate the player from the puck, not to separate the player’s head from his body. Rick Green was expert at gauging exactly how to do this and then executing it.
        The “his head was down” excuse is ignorant. As Carbonneau rightly pointed out a couple seasons ago, (I am para-phrasing here) “Players need to know where the puck is in relation to where they are on the ice. The puck is on ice 99% of the time. The players are looking at it. In other words, their heads are down 99% of the time.”

• Malreg says:

Carbo’s comment applies to everyone who does not have the puck… If you do not have the puck, you shouldn’t be hit.

• Malreg says:

Yes, the main goal of contact hockey is supposed to be to separate the player from the puck, but if you’ve ever played competitive hockey, you know that it goes much beyond that.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Let’s forget cleanliness and think about brain safety.

Any hit to the head can cause brain damage.

therefore …

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• DorvalTony says:

Hypocrites AND lawyers? LOL

“The ’76 and ’86 teams partied way more than ’08-’09.” – Mitch Melnick
      “Yeah but they WON!” – McLean

• punkster says:

Waaaaay better than the Markov troll on the other thread…and as you know I agree with your head hit statement. It would help if the idiots who officiate the games and those they report to would actually apply the rules as is, for a start. Next, ramp up the penalties, suspensions and fines until the message gets through to the players. And modify the equipment to make accidental hits less severe, if possible.

As for the fighting comment I believe it’s a separate discussion, far more complex and goes to the roots of the game. Another day.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

I agree about the fighting comment. Too complex an issue.

However the head shot one is clear cut. As Chuck states, “The NHL already goes this route with high sticks…”

Same for the puck over the glass.

NHL is impotent in the face of doing the right thing.

As for Markov, the issue is not settled. He looks shaky at best and a shadow of his former self. I know it’s early but I have serious doubts about his ever being a top pairing D man again.

• Bill says:

Both of these ideas make too much sense for the NHL.

Also, if they were adopted,, then we’d see Shanahan doing videos explaining how he’s not really sure Lucik’s elbow actually hit the players head, or just his upper shoulder (video inconclusive).

Full Breezer 4 Life

67. Captain aHab says:

OK so I’m just coming back from a week in Punta Cana (Majestic Colonial….very very nice…but I digress) and I come back to see Markov playing. Can someone rationalize for me the need to play him this year when he’s already on contract for next year?? If he gets injured: STOOPID. If he doesn’t get injured, it doesn’t mean he won’t be getting injured next year.

My pet theory is that the Habs are hoping that the team will get a bump in wins from Markov so they can claim that injuries did them in this year. I think they are doing this because they have no plans to fire Gauthier and this would give them a reason not to.

Walk me off the ledge please.

—————-
    **DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a real pirate despite having been blown ashore many times.**

• shiram says:

It’s simple, Habs management has to know how well Markov can perform, to make good decisions this summer with the free agent market. There’s also Markov’s desire to play.
      As for your theory, well I’d say it’s more speculation than anything.

• Captain aHab says:

Markov is trying to get up to game shape playing against guys already there – I think he has a higher chance of injury because of that and what he does this year won’t tell the team anything in my opinion. Look at his last game where he apparently had difficulty. Is this due to his injury or due to the fact that he isn’t in game shape?

—————-

• shiram says:

He has to play now, I think if he has to get injured, might as well be now in a meaningless season.
          If he plays well this year, that says the Habs don’t need to look for a replacement, if he cannot play well, they have a great issue on D they need to resolve.
          I think his issue is not so much game shape, as it is getting reaccustomed to the speed and intensity of the game, compared to the practices he has been doing for so long now.

• Captain aHab says:

But what tells you that he won’t get a knee injury in the first game next year, even if he doesn’t get injured this year?

—————-

• shiram says:

Nothing, but that’s the same for any player, may as well not play Pac, Cole, Price and Subban in case they get hurt!

• Captain aHab says:

But that is my point: it doesn’t tell them anything about how he’ll perform next year so that reason to play him is stupid when he hasn’t reached game speed/shape yet. If he starts next year, he’ll be playing against guys who aren’t there either after training camp so less risk of injury to me. If it takes him 7-8 games to get in shape, they’ll have a 4 game sample to see what he can do…..not much of a sample size.

—————-

• shiram says:

Ok, I don’t think you are getting what I’m saying but that’s fine, I’ll shelve that argument.
            Markov wants to play, he is a hockey player, he got the clearance from the doctors to play, so he gets to play.
            Simple as that.

• Captain aHab says:

He’ll be ready to play next year too. And guys won’t have a game speed advantage on him after pre-season.

—————-

• Mattyleg says:

Ahab, I think that ‘ready’ means ‘ready’.
            If, as HH pointed out incorrectly, he is one shift away from a career ending injury (paraphrase), then shoudn’t we get that shift over and done with before we have to look at signing players over the summer?
            If Markov is ready now, he won’t be ‘more’ ready in October.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
            —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

Never said he was one shift away from a career-ending injury myself…my entire point is that playing him this year accomplishes nothing (because you’re unlikely to be really able to base decisions on what he does or doesn’t do over a small sample of games) and that playing him now simply puts him at more of a risk than if he started right out of the gate playing against a bunch of guys not a game speed either.

—————-

• Cal says:

Markov has to try it out when he’s ready. Guess what?

• DorvalTony says:

Who IS Habs management now? or June 1?

“The ’76 and ’86 teams partied way more than ’08-’09.” – Mitch Melnick
        “Yeah but they WON!” – McLean

• GenerationYHabs says:

Or maybe they just want to evaluate his play and see if he has anything left in him? If not they may have to deal with him in the off season.

• Captain aHab says:

They may have to buy out Gomez next year. Do you think Molson will want to buy out Markov too if he has trouble? How about Kaberle?

If he weren’t under contract, I could totally see them do it to try to get some sense of what he could do. But in the present situation, I don’t see the use and absolutely think it puts him more at risk of injury.

—————-

• GenerationYHabs says:

Let`s say Markov either get hurt again and is put permanently on IR list or it turns out that he`s not able to play effective minutes as a top line defenseman anymore. Whoever the gm of the team is at that point will see a big glaring hole in our lineup and will need to adress it. He can then have a better view of how to manage the huge amount of money that gets freed up from having Gomez off the roster.

• Captain aHab says:

But if he struggles with few sample games he plays this year, will it be due to the injury or to the simple fact that he hasn’t reached game speed yet?

—————-

• Propwash says:

It’s not like they rushed him back in or anything…..

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Captain aHab says:

Not saying they did but why play him now when it means nothing?

—————-

• Propwash says:

Because he is ready to go.
          There is no point in sidelining him either, he is a hockey player, that is his bread and butter. Keeping him out of the lineup for the remainder of the season is a huge slap in the face to him from the organization.

_____________________________
          Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Captain aHab says:

A slap in the face from an organization that’s been paying him to rehab for most of the last two years? Is he going to forego the rest of his contract if he gets reinjured out of respect for the organization? If they allow him to play for Russia, I’ll be livid.

—————-

• ont fan says:

I really believe Markov wants to find out for himself how it feels in game conditions, so he doesn’t have to think about it all summer.

68. Propwash says:

Congrats Kabs!

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

69. Habshire says:

Tomas having a baby exactly 9 months after the Stanley Cup.

This certainly was the season for new babies.

70. habfan01 says:

Congrats to BFA St Albans Vt- John Leclair’s old high school- on winning the Div 1 stae champioship last night. Their 16th championship in 39 years. The Montreal Canadiens of Vt hockey.

71. Axeman says:

Let’s hope that Tomas Giveaway takes full paternity leave … I don’t want to see him on the ice with a CH jersey again!

• Cal says:

Better stop watching the Habs for 2 more years then.

• Strummer says:

Kab ranks 6th on the team for most giveaways with just one more than the great Josh Gorges.
      Subban leads with almost double the amount of Kaberle.
      Don’t let facts spoil your drive-by smear.

____________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabsFanInOttawa says:

Subban also plays twice as many even strength + short-handed minutes as Kaberle does, and against tougher competition.

• Strummer says:

Subban’s gvieaways are as bad proportionally.
          My point was Kaberle’s giveaway offenses are no worse than lots of others.
          Why the smear?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

72. Born in a Bad Year says:

If you need to know why Shanny doled out the punishment to Myers, look at the standings in the east. If his best friend gets into the playoffs, they have to pass Buffalo to do it.

73. shiram says:

I think it might be a good idea to play Leblanc wil Plekanec, in White’s place, Leblanc has more scoring talent, and could benefit more from playing with a player of Plekanec’s skill.
    Hope St-Denis gets a chance to play, I liked what I saw from him in training camp.

• Marcusman says:

From what I’ve seen of White, he’s pretty fast and certainly not afraid to battle in the corners. he may turn out to be a decent 3-4th liner

74. Kimberly2u says:

Can’t wait to see the game either…..half a day to work and then beer and hockey time :)

75. JIMVINNY says:

Nothing would make me happier tonight than seeing Karlsson try to go on one of his rushes up the left wing and end up getting absolutely demolished by a PK hit. Brad Marchand style.

• ProHabs says:

Why??? Karlsson is a great clean player that bring excitement to the game. I want PK to save those hits for Marchand again, any other Bruin, Mike Richards, Lupul, or Zach Bogosian.

76. 24moreCups says:

How much is he paying you?

77. Danno says:

I sure hope they don’t rush Scotty’s return.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

78. habs1966 says:

Like they should wait at-least 2 years.

79. Danno says:

Oh at least. Minimum. Better safe than sorry etc…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

80. RGM says:

We all have our gripes with Gomez as a player, but one need not be on his payroll to wish him a quick recovery from this concussion.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

I am thinking you meant to post this somewhere else?

82. Bill says:

We should all make a better effort to make honest, fair critiques instead of ignorant invective. For my part, I will stop “hating” on Gomez and Bourque :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

Now all of a sudden you want World Peace, fine…..

84. slychard says:

Gomez has a concussion, didn’t realize he had a brain until that…ahhhhh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

85. Bill says:

He has been, err, less than ideally effective since coming to Montreal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

86. Muckbringer says:

not hating but think about your comment a second time.

ahhhh I get it, sorry context is tough for me sometimes. Yes I agree with you!

88. HabFanSince72 says:

You probably never saw Dale Hunter play …

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

89. Bill says:

Well, in my mind, it hasn’t been sporting to dump on Gomez since the second-last injury. It’s just gotten sad, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

90. Muckbringer says:

4 feet from your net yes. not off someone walking in over the line. that puck has too many places to go, the open space between the posts and the goalie are not one, not from there.

as for getting in the face, sure, it happens. rarely. even if it does, they still come back after a couple of shifts or next game at the least.

91. Mr. Biter says:

Price now 5-7 in shoot outs. i think he’s won his last 3 s/o’s. I think DD has scored in all 3 or in 2 of the 3.
    Wonder if Dude will crawl out from under the bridge later tonight?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

92. Cal says:

Awwwwwww, Habs won. Quel dommage!

93. Stev.R says:

We’re going to get a good prospect regardless!