Liveblog: Three in a row

Tomas-Plekanec-Bruins

Losses, that is.
Playing without Milan Lucic, Boston beat the Canadiens 3-2.
Now it’s on to Chicago.
So Jacques Martin was the problem, right?

1. JayBee says:

We were done a long time ago. I told people here and on another board (where I was banned for saying the same thing)… The Habs won’t do anything with PG and JM at the helm. They won’t do anything with the same stupid vision. They won’t do anything with the same management team who has no clue how to build a team. The team is a mess. An entire mess and there’s no light at the end of the tunnel.

This will get far worse. We actually need a real rebuild. None of this retool crap. We need to strip this thing to the bone and start over. We’ll only move forward if we get people in here who know wtf they’re doing and have a vision.

2. Vid says:

I say just hire a translator for the press meetings. That’s what they do in Soccer. The rest of the time the translator can be Randy’s French tutor. If the habs can’t find the money, maybe they can ask Gomez really nice to borrow some change. Or just bring in whoever does the French press releases on the Habs’ website.

Learning French is not that easy. It takes effort. It’s like learning to play guitar. At first playing an A minor to C major chord is difficult but then you get it. That’s the equivalent of saying, “Bonjour.” Easy enough. But being able to answer questions in French would be like being able to play Ferdinand Sor’s studies by comparison.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was thinking about that today, how would Mr. Cunneyworth best go about this over the summer? The best I could come up with was to have him coach at youth hockey camps in Lac St-Jean, where nobody speaks English, it’s total French immersion. Set him up with a translator, then let him get to it, it’s an area where he feels comfortable and knowledgeable, and he’d learn all the hockey-related terms really quickly.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@habsfan0 – good question. In this instance I think the debate lies in whether speaking french is a skill required for the job (which you, fairly, think it is not.) But I think you can make a strong argument that a large portion of the job is communications and it isn’t so unreasonable to make french a prerequisite. It’s a required skill for many jobs in Quebec – as it should be – because people deserve the right to be communicated to in their own language.

More to your point, an example in my mind would be an anglophone who could speak passable french (the definition of which is probably another minefield) being denied the job.

Hope I didn’t come across as combative – try to avoid that junk on here – just thought I should voice my concern on that comparison. Go Habs!!

5. Propwash says:

I’m fed up of a frigging hockey team being used as a political tool. You wonder why the cream of the crop snubs the franchise.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

6. doogie says:

One more thing, they’re going to have to start throwing Budaj into the nets soon. Carey cant play 75 games!

7. PrimeTime says:

A mess on the ice and off the ice. Language once again rears it’s ugly head! What an embarassment for the fans, the city, and the country.

8. Bim says:

Would somebody on this team please get mad? Unbelievable? No passion at all!!! Canadiens are the easiest team to play against in the entire league. I believe it will be seven or eight games before Cunneyworth finally tastes victory. Disgusting for a franchise that has 24 stanley up wins. I think I’m going to be sick.

9. habsgod says:

we are done for this year! i think on this 6 game road trip we only beat ottawa and winnipeg and lose the rest and officially putting an end to our season and the gauthier era,let’s hope he only trades away a few players like a.kostitsyn for a 1st r.d pick,gill for a 3rd r.d pick .moen for a 2nd or 3rd pick and let the new g.m. make our lottery pick selection as i think we’ll land a top 5 this year! but all is not bad and the future is bright with gallagher,bournival,bealieu and other picks coming. sorry my fellow habs fans it really hurts me to say this stuff and i’m very pissed off and a passionate as you guys are eventhough i live in regina i love this team and my heart is breaking and i don’t like losing,and i’ve watched this team for 40 yrs! but it’s inevitable it’s over for us this year.

• G-Man says:

I think Winnipeg will win that one. It’s looking as bleak as a 4-0 deficit after the first 20 minutes.
      Happy Holidays, everyone!

• gmur says:

I think we’re done too. Time for Gauthier to get rid of some Gainey mistakes. Buy out Gomez, so someone can pay him 3.5 million per year hoping he can find the magic again. Trade Cammi and a defenceman for draft picks. Give young players a chance. Draft higher as a result.

• HardHabits says:

Gomez, Scott Limited NTC
        Cammalleri, Mike Limited NTC
        Gionta, Brian NTC
        Markov, Andrei Modified NTC

The good news being that Jaroslav Spacek also had a limited NTC

10. MannyR says:

As much as I hate the Leafs they put on a far better show than our beloved Habs.

11. vic says:

Give the coach some time.Already the french press complaining about him and paches and suban.
    My advise to any player who gets the chance to move to take it.

12. doogie says:

We’re all frustrated because of the passion that we have for this team. It reminds me of the year that Tom Brady ripped up his knee in week 1 of the season ( reference to Markov issue ) and the Pats had a miserable season, even though they were still a good team.

I don’t think anyone has gotten past that disappointment of starting without AM79 and, with a multitude of injuries, the bottom has completely fallen out of this team.

Time, patience and a new direction based on new GM and Coach. Gainey went in the wrong direction and now we’re paying for it. Look at the standings in the Eastern Conference and truly ask yourself as you name the teams ahead of Canadiens, “are they better than our team” and the answer 9, 10 times is absolutely “yes!”

So be patient and let’s see what Randy Cunneyworth can do to at least entertain us for the next 4 months.

13. ed lopaz says:

“so jacques martin was the problem, right?”

I GUARANTEE IT!!

The Bruins just finished pasting the Flyers 6-0.

We played them quite well tonight.

And yes, we made mistakes, but overall, our game is better already.

The English media is hilarious.

The only tough question asked by an English journalist was asked by the young lady who wanted to know why Cole was not on the power play.

Martin was an old school dinosaur who thought 1995 tactics would work in 2011.

I like what I see from the new guy.

He is bright, he knows his stuff, and he will bring the Habs back from the dead.

Was Jacques Martin the problem??

Absolutely.

• G-Man says:

0-2 and still sliding. But the Habs played better, right? Sure they did. You can see it in the score.

• Indiansrugby says:

They did, in fact. You can already see subtle differences. Two white jerseys inside the blue line when the opposing D had the puck. That’s a big change, and was effective.

This was a 2-1 game but for Moen’s brain cramp. They still pull the goalie. Do they score? Dunno.

A lot more hits given by the Canadiens, largely because Martin’s ’90s era 3-line team is hopefully a thing of the past.

4th lines are valuable and have an incredible impact. Putting them on with 1:45 left lead directly to the 2nd goal.

We’ll see. On to Chicago.

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@habsfan0 – asking that someone respect a people and culture by taking the time to learn its language is hardly xenophobic.

Criticize the need for a hockey coach to do so all you like – it’s a point I’m undecided upon – but equating it to xenophobia or racism is erroneous.

15. terrier92 says:

How about a trade – PK Subban for Tyler Seguin. I would consider it.

Go Bruins

16. JohnBellyful says:

Where does it say a coach has to answer reporters’ questions promptly? What’s wrong with RC flipping through a French-English dictionary to answer questions in French? (The francophone media would soon learn to ask the questions in English or they’d never make their deadline.)

17. --Habs-- says:

Pauline Marois for GM. Rule 1: players can’t speak English on the Bench. Rule 2: her police will fine anyone who looks English on the bench. Rule 3: No player can drink Molson because the name can’t be translated into French. Rule 4: She will test every player on the bench. Rule 5: If a player fails he must be given a 7 million contract be fore being released as a punishment to Molson Breweries for allowing this mess to happen.

18. JohnBellyful says:

Call me a wild-eyed optimist but I’m sticking by the Canadiens. I still think the shot glass is half-full.

What these franco-centrists need to take a closer look at is all those coaches who got their start in Montreal, Julien, Vigneault, Therrien, Boucher and Muller, all got away. Should the Habs let another coach developed in their system get away? Even if he is unilingual.

I never knew that the Habs were the NHL’s Hiring Agency for the QMJHL.

20. The Dude says:

I’d say the fact a No Name Anglophone took the Head coach duty instead of a Bi-lingual or Francophone is the cause of this language issue…If Gauthier hired Babcock and his track record it’s a non issue.

• Bill says:

I seriously doubt it. No one in the media is arguing that speaking French helps the hockey team win games. We’re hearing the social argument: as Francois said on l’Antichambre a few minutes ago, the Canadiens are a “Quebecois institution”, and that’s why the coach needs to be French. If Babcock is unilngual (I don’t know if he is or not), they’d feel the same way.

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. neumann103 says:

On the bright side… On TSN’s WJHC pre-tournament coverage Ray Ferraro singled out Gallagher and Bournival as having good first periods

“Et le but!”

22. SmartDog says:

Some of you guys on here make me look like a total optimist.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Damphousse tearing Francois Gagnon a new one.

24. JF says:

Something I liked was the number of times we intercepted a pass or stole the puck off a Bruin’s stick. I don’t remember seeing that before.

25. twilighthours says:

Just read molson’s press release. Gotta feel sorry for RC. Basically gets told “You’re gone unless you learn French by June.”

—————————————————————–

• SmartDog says:

I’d learn French if it meant getting to coach the Habs.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SmartDog says:

Good point.

But he doesnt’ need to learn the whole language by June. If he learned enough to have a very basic conversation, but showed he’s on the path to learning, he’d be okay. Assuming like you say he can get the team to play better. I hope that still matters too. :)

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HardHabits says:

Learning French is not that easy. It takes effort.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

RC deserves a fair shot at this & at least finish the season. All this talk about the tradition of having a french speaking coach to deal with the media is fine and PG should’ve known that before naming RC interim coach. If this issue continues to be a major issue during this season then Gauthier should get canned because it’s totally unfair to put RC through this crap and that falls totally on PG.

“Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

26. habs001 says:

While price has played well ,in matchups vs the top goalies in the league, he has not made the saves that we cant blame him for going in but the oppostion goalies have..right now i would not feel comfortable in a deciding olympic game tied in the third with price in the nets…plus hos poor s/o record may cost him a spot on the team..

27. JohnBellyful says:

So now the band wagon’s headed to Chicago and Winnipeg. Hope everyone purchased a return ticket.

28. showey47 says:

If cunneyworth doesn’t learn french,he should at least learn how to rip a door of its hinges.Maybe then he will get the respect of some of the french media.

29. G-Man says:

Yet again, the weak-ass scoring comes through with flying colours. The “at least they tried hard” crowd is pleased that JM is gone. Yet the results are the same. Price out-dueled again. On to the windy city where the Habs will be blown away. Figuratively, of course. They might actually be in it for a period.

• gmur says:

I agree about Price. Like it or not, he is not outplaying opposing goalies enough. He was weak on the Marchand goal. Unless he wins more games pretty much on his own, April will be the cruellest month…

• habsfan0 says:

Habs will beat the Hawks on Wednesday, or my name isn’t Curly Howard.

• JF says:

I agree about Price, but I think he’s playing too many games. Budaj was brought in with the idea that Price would play fewer games than last year, but right now he’s on pace to play more. Cunneyworth had better give Budaj a couple of starts if he expects the team to start winning. Price is not playing badly, but he’s not making the big saves he needs to.

• Chuck says:

What makes you think that Budaj will stop shots that Price hasn’t been able to get to?

It’s defensive brainfarts that have put pucks in the back of the net. Look at what the what the Bruins do for Thomas: a minimum of prime scoring chances off of turnovers, with most rebounds cleared before we get a chance at them.

To have successful goaltending you need him to stop all of the shots that he SHOULD save, and stop putting him in the position of having to save ones that the rubber dude from the Fantastic Four would have a tough time with.

• JF says:

I don’t necessarily think Budaj will stop shots Price hasn’t been able to. I just think Price would be sharper if he had a bit of rest. If he plays every game, I think we’ll lose most of them – the defence breaks down and he’s unable to bail them out. With a bit of rest, he might be able to steal a game or two, which I don’t think he’s done this year. If we’re going to win any games, he’ll have to be sharper – that’s how bad I think we are.

• Man Dingga says:

Dude, the D is a terrible mess. Emilin in the press box is comical. Pricey can handle the playing time don’t you worry. We are going to loss games get use to that, Price atleast gives us a chance. You haters make me laugh, mark my words if the Habs don’t sign Price before seasons end offers will be made from other teams for him. The Habs will be spending big cash on him my friends…book it!

30. gmur says:

One difference I’ve noticed between Martin and Cunneyworth: The defencemen seem to have the green light to skate deep into the offensive zone carrying the puck; they pinch a bit more too. I’ve seen it quite a few times since the firing and can’t remember it happening so often under Martin. Anyone agree?

31. habs001 says:

most nights this team is a 2 goal a game team…we are loaded with forwards that on most nights we cannot expect them to score…right now eller and leblanc are not goal scorers…nokia,blunden and darche never will be…dd is not a goal scorer..moen has scored this year but we pretty well know that his non scoring status will retun….so that is 7 forwards out of 12 in the lineup that will not score on most nights…add couple of our scorers who are struggling all year there is no way this team will score without a decent pp..

32. JF says:

I thought the Habs played well. They showed a lot of hustle, didn’t quit, made it close. Defensive mistakes, as usual, cost us a chance to win. But at least we got a late one, something we’ve only done once all season. Too bad we needed two. Man, this is getting depressing. Guess I’d better just stop hoping we’ll win.

• deuce6 says:

This post just proves what I am trying to say..STOP ACCEPTING LOSING!! lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• JF says:

You think I’m accepting it? It totally sucks. But the reality is that the team is not very good. I hate not having a good team, I hate losing, I hate the Bruins – but what’s the point in deluding ourselves??

33. habs4life25 says:

Bench Cammalleri and Subban. Please……….

34. deuce6 says:

I think its pretty sad that the fans of the Montreal Canadiens are accepting losses and pretty much shrugging their shoulders…

IDK about anyone else, but the end result is all that matters to me and, at this moment, my team is not winning hockey games..Unacceptable..

Stop sugar coating losses and come into reality..This team stinks..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• pmaraw says:

its basically a microcosm of whats happening all over the world. money bags make all the decisions, populous takes it up the derrier(sp)

• bajd says:

Where have you been the last 16yrs? Aside from one season, this is what the team is–a vehicle that has somehow managed to defy reality and spin its muddy wheels in perfect unison so that it’ll never plunge off the cliff to lottery status but unfortunately, never gain enough traction to propel it to elite status either. It’s really quite a feat

35. jimmyb001 says:

The guy I feel for is Cunneyworth. He could win all remaning games and the french press would still nail him. The french press are brutal and care more about language then job credentials.

Looks real good on La Belle province, the ONLY uniligual province in Canada. No wonder over the years free agents have not wanted to come to Montreal.

billy jackson

• deuce6 says:

Well, losing his 1st 2 games out of the gate isn’t much of a promotion on his resume..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Youll have trouble convincing me that Saskatchewan is bilingual…

there was actually some good stats published here in the Gazette not long ago… without Québec, canada’s percentage of individuals who know more than one language is similar to the US. They are, in practice, the only thing close to a bilingual province you have in Canada.

• jimmyb001 says:

I am talking government policy here when the lanaguage is FRENCH ONLY whereby the policy of Canadian government is bilingual. It’s not the people in quebec that have an issue here it is the French press and government. Same old same old in Quebec and lived there for 25 years.

billy jackson

• Duracell3 says:

ROFL

Let me know when I can go to Saskatchewan and do ANYTHING only in French and we’ll have a discussion.

• SteverenO says:

Duracell: get off the floor and stop laughing,. You are makng a fool of yourself!

There are over 750,000 tax paying citizens in Quebec that have English as their mother tongue.
            Saskatchewan has less than 4, 000 “French” speakers.

So if you want to ANYTHING at all in French in Saskatchewan you will most probably be doing it alone.

If all the habs fan in Quebec are denied a winning hockey team because idiots like you that want to do something in French in Saskatchewan, I have a suggestion for you.

Why don`t you go to Saskatchewan and “trouver” which ONE among the 4, 000 French speaking citizens “est” capable of coaching the Habs.

You best be careful though, the rest of the teams in the NHL will be looking at over 900,000 potential English speaking coaching candidates in the same Province of Saskatchewan where you are searching .

Geez, I wonder who will find the better coach.

regards.

Steve O.

• Bill says:

New Brunswick?? Hello/bonjour!

Pretty sure we are the only bilingual province.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• G-Man says:

Let’s see him win one first, eh? He is 0-2.

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@habsfan0 – that isn’t even in the same ballpark. You can’t change the colour of your skin, but you can take the time to learn a language.

Why do people thimk this is such a monumental task? You live in Montreal – learn the bloody language!! It’s not bloody rocket science

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

i hate when this debate gets compared to racism. its insulting to anyone who has been the victim of any for of discrimination.

• Prairienewf says:

It was ’86 my first year of french immersion in Quebec……”Je voudrais une Big mac and une frites avec une coke grande” I said to the lady for the 3rd time at the Mcdonald’s on Ste cath I believe. Out comes a guy from the back. I repeat myself again proudly in my new ‘second language’. In perfect anglais the guy says “I think he wants a Big Mac and a fries”

I dunno

• habsfan0 says:

The point I’m trying to make is that the best QUALIFIED candidate should always get the job,regardless of the language he/she speaks or the colour of his/her skin. Xenophobia has no place in sports or in life.

• jimmyb001 says:

absolutely and when a team limits the qualified candidates to french speaking I would suggest the candidate field is limited and may not include the most qualified.

billy jackson

37. twilighthours says:

Is anyone actually taking moral victories out of this one? Just like after last year’s game 7, I suppose.

“but we could have won.”

Don’t you guys see that it’s nearing the point of no return? If the team doesn’t start winning – winning pretty, winning ugly, winning by buying the ref – there will be no playoffs.

As for me, I think it is too late already.

—————————————————————–

• Prairienewf says:

Pk and Moen were sick but still played. I guess it was contagious because their ‘cough ups’ made me sick to my stomach.

• HardHabits says:

I am paying close attention to how they spin this.

• JF says:

Of course there will be no playoffs. We have won all of 13 games this year – fourth fewest of any team in the NHL. We are on pace for about 81 points. Anyone who still thinks this team will make the playoffs is deluding himself. I’m just hoping Gauthier doesn’t trade away any picks or prospects to try and make the post-season. There could be nothing more futile.

38. Prairienewf says:

I thought we played our very very best. And……Thats why I’m getting very depressed and trying not to puke right now.

I know its pathetic to say this but I’m gonna anyway, First two stars for the Bruins PK amd Moen. I’m not kidding enough already with the bonehead turnovers. Oops (Puking). 3rd star Price or Cole.

Bright spot? Habs played hard in sperts and controlled play when they did. Maybe they keep working hard and some good habits form, maybe a few bounces here and there and we’re clicking like in…..in……in………times past?

Can we trade with KHL for Kovalev?

Gaston Therrien exposing PK Subban’s errors and nonchalant play that led to two goals.

Michel Therrien agrees.

Jose Therrien just called in to discuss.

40. habsfan0 says:

Actually, i don’t think Habs are that far off from being very competitive. They are in ALL their games,never getting blown out. Once they get Markov back(hopefully) and Cunneyworth has a chance to fully implement his system,I think they’ll do quite well.

As far as language issue is concerned re: Habs coach..if Quebec was predominantly black,and Habs hired a white coach…with the black dominated media demanding a black coach for the team…I think we all know what we’d call that.

Besides, there has been a francophone coach guiding this team for the last 18 years. How many Cups have the Habs won during that time? Perhaps it’s time to give the best qualified candidate an opportunity, regardless of language.

• kholdstare says:

You should probably edit that second last paragraph with the backspace button, I don’t know what you are trying to say there but I dont think the analogy or whatever it is, is working.

• adam76 says:

maybe next year – game under .500 this late, no playoffs.

• G-Man says:

Get rid of the word “don’t” and then “that” and “off” from your first sentence and you’ve got it.
      AucunValeur™ played under Martin for years. The system is the same with the D moving up occasionally, creating a mad scramble for the forward to get back.

41. gmur says:

Subban is too cute with his passes in his own end. Junior hockey is long gone…

42. Chuck says:

Missed coverage on a faceoff, and two huge giveaways leading to the three Bruin goals. The Habs are their own worst enemy. Get rid of the brain farts, and they’ll win more than their fair share of games.

43. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Neudy – Blake and Bowman both bilingual. Asking someone to learn French ain’t a big deal. It’s just a language, doesn’t take a superior intellect or anything

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Agree, nor is it ‘discriminatory’ to ask someone to have a certain job skill.

And as I said below, Toe Blake WAS French, though I keep seeing his name thrown around here as an anglophone by our resident Hab historians.

• Bill says:

They won’t be satisfied with bilingual, that’s a smokescreen. Has to be a Francophone.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

C’mon, thats not fair. No bilingual coach has caught flack in the past.

• Bill says:

Then why did Francois Gagnon say the Habs had a social responsibility to hire a French coach?

And who was the last bilingual Anglo coach? Burns? Things have gotten a fair bit nastier since then, and I guarantee you there were people who complained about him.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Well there will always be some complaining about anything anywhere. Most people, French and Anglo alike, would not have a problem with a bilingual.

If Layton were coach (and alive) they’d love him!

• HardHabits says:

The minority and vocal language hawks might hold that view but that isn’t the case across the board and any person who can communicate in French will get his defenders on that side. Even Damphousse was defending Cunneyworth.

Living in Quebec I realized my next big career move will be perfecting my French. Basically raising my level of communication and articulation to the level that I am capable of achieving in English.

Even this interim tag and the fact that the world hasn’t ended is already a difficult pill to swallow for some but a breath of fresh air for others.

• Neudy says:

Blake was not French, he was anglophone who was fluent in French because his mother was French. My problem is not whether they speak French or not, I just can’t stand the outcries from fans who demand a coach who already speaks French (and preferably one from Quebec) rather than one who will put the effort in to learn the language and at least produce some wins for the club.

44. gmur says:

Cammalleri wants a trade. He’s playing like he wants out of Montreal.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Well, hopefully he privately makes this known to our GM.

He can go be the captain of some other miserable team.

• gmur says:

I’ve been watching him for a six or seven games now. He is playing without intensity. One hand on his stick around the puck in his own end, not forechecking when there’s a real chance to get the puck, not skating in his own end when the other team is pressing… He seems to be in a snit about something. Too much ice time for younger players who ARE playing with intensity? Not scoring, so letting up in other areas? Who knows, but he is playing without heart… Martin or Cunneyworth… no difference to me…

45. Propwash says:

Win or lose, I’m supporting my Habs.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

46. habs001 says:

This team has no chance if it cannot fix the pp…for the 3rd year in a row we will be a low scoring team somewhere 20-25th in the nhl..

47. deuce6 says:

I just can’t get enough of watching our guys banging the puck off the goalie’s pads when getting a premium scoring chance. That is awesome.

Praise Thomas all you want. I seen a team too soft to get any kind of rebound that Thomas was coughing up left and right. Not to mention another coach that doesn’t have a damn clue. Tell me why the Darche line was out there, for what it seems like, all damn night? I can see rolling all 4 lines when you are even or up a goal, but to not shorten your bench after being down a goal or 2 is just stupid…Cunneyworth is making me miss Martin and that is a bad thing because I was one of the biggest supporters of the firing of Martin….

This team can’t score and we need to go out and get rid of our under achieving contracts and bring in a player that has any kind of finish..

Another year with a team that has one line that can score…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• NCRhabsfan says:

The fourth line was out because they were playing well. They generated many of the chances. It’s refreshing to see a coach putting lines on the ice that are having a good night instead of giving huge ice time to guys that have taken the night off.

• deuce6 says:

Yea, did wonders for us losing a 3rd in a row, eh? Sometimes you have to go with your horses…Say what you want, but for a team that lacks fire power, playing guys that have hands like cinder blocks is just a recipe for disaster..Face it, if our 4th line is our biggest threat, we suck..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

48. Neudy says:

You can pin it on the coaching as much as you want, but there is clearly something more to this than the man behind the bench. Although it is cliche, you don’t fix what isn’t broken…for the Habs, that is clearly not the case. The Canadiens aren’t winning any games because for the most part, the most positive aspect of their last few games has been their 3rd and 4th lines.

The Plekanec-Cammalleri experiment is an epic failure that is past the point of repairing. Cammalleri is not only a futile tool on the ice, but his presence has actually been a detriment to the team. He skates away from battles for the puck, choosing to stay on the backbench and crosscheck players ever so gently in the back rather than at least pretending to look as if he cares. And in case he was not already aware, goals (especially on the powerplay) are not scored from the goal line at the side of the net. Plekanec has lost his effectiveness on the ice as well, epitomizing the Canadiens’ infatuation with continuing to push things that clearly do not work.

Finally, perhaps the biggest disappointment thus far is P.K. Subban. He’s young, he’s immature, but we are consistently told that this is the makeup of the entire team; nonetheless, I would trade him in an instant for a solid young forward. There is this terrible environment in Montreal where “star” players are continually not held responsible for the recurring poor plays they make. Lars Eller and Alexei Emelin are two of the most surprising players this year, emerging as substantial assets to a team that is lacking both their physical and energetic presence. Yet, while their significantly higher paid counterparts receive little to no repercussions for their poor play, these too draw the short end of every stick.

It’s not a coaching change, a GM change, or even a new owner that will solve the issues in Montreal. What is needed is a culture shock – an intervention by some person(s) who dramatically alters the pre-existing culture within the Canadiens dressing room. Until then, it seems as though fans of the Canadiens will stand on strike in support of finding the latest bilingual coach and savior of the Habs (because Scotty Bowman and Toe Blake’s glory days with the team were just pure luck)

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

They both spoke French.

• gumper says:

I thought Pleks and Cammi had a little chemistry going tonight, but in general, I agree with you that Cammi is way to soft and completely ineffective without the puck. It’s gotten to the point that I see not reason not to bench him for a few games and give someone like Palushaj a go. Would this qualify as an intervention in your opinion?

• Neudy says:

Absolutely agree with you on that. The players need to be held accountable for their actions, and benching them for a few games would send the right message. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later, because otherwise I have a feeling we will be loosing a lot of players in the off-season for nothing as has happened in the recent past.

P.S. Let me clarify – both coaches were French-speaking Anglophones.

49. gumper says:

If they can play like this on the road trip, they might actually come home with 7 or 8 points.

50. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Cammy for Hemsky anyone?

51. kerrgte says:

so, who can they beat?

maybe a girls ringette team?

i’m sick of this. Politics this, injuries that, young players, etc.
    MY foot, clean house !! And bloody start with Gauthier !!

52. tony d says:

Oye, and next is Chicago. heaven help them. I never see them learn from their mistakes, it’s always same ol same ol with PK at the top of the naughty list.

Wanted, bilingual coach, experience not necessary, will train.
    Contact: wingnprayer@canadiens.com

53. Wops says:

I think Carey Price’s stats are going to miss Jacques Martin

54. WindsorHab-10 says:

So Jaques Martin was the problem Boone? Damn right he was. Yes we lost but I saw a different team out there tonight. With a new coach, new philosophy it will be like baby steps. We will get better & start winning.

m”Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

• HabCez says:

if Cunneyworth makes the same Dmen choices as JM did..
      (bench Emelin who plays well against the B’s)

and implements the same system..
      we will go no where fast..
      it should have been a house cleaning..

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
      – HabCez

• Roger Rabbit says:

Exactly. It’s baby steps. You can’t expect the new coach to get 10 wins in a row, to start out, although that would be nice, lol.

It looks like the people who work hard are getting ice time and that will be motivating for the players.

55. RiverviewCanadien says:

Emelin sits, and PK plays like he has the sh__s…again.

Responsible for the 1st two BOS goals.

My Christmas wish this year, is Subban in a block buster deal for Iginla and the iron man Bouwmeester.

Now that would kick ass.

• twilighthours says:

pK had nothing to do with 1st bos goal.

—————————————————————–

• Wops says:

Agreed. Blown coverage by gorges big time.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Gorges is a machine, if PK could play an ounce of the passion and smarts in Josh’s pinky toe…

Ahhh, no point in arguin’ on this one, I will be flogged for it no matter.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Go watch it. He had everything to do with it. Completely stood there watching the face off win and made no move for the puck. OK, well at least no effort. Dumb with the puck, can never make a fast pass.

Play Emelin more, physical game, was getting used to playing in an offensive role…IMO the kid has a great skill set to offer, more so than Subban

I see you never argued the 2nd goal…

• CranbrookEd says:

PK is young and will come around – it takes longer to develop a defense than a forward . . . cut him some slack, consider who was coaching him!

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Emelin has more to offer

• Bill says:

Emelin has more to offer than PK Subban? This statement has “future crow eating” written all over it!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Bill, keep the crow in the freezer this time buddy…

I was wrong about Gomez this year (f’n injuries). But I am not wrong about Emelin. He will be a great defenseman. He is getting rest right now. He has proven to the Canadiens he has the passion for the ‘game’. They don’t want to wear him out right now.

Mark it down, he is a very important building block to this team. I know I will be razzed, name-called, spit upon for saying this. But I think he is more important to this team than PK.

It is my opinion, and I will drink my Half & Half in my basement with no remorse for saying it. Emelin will play for the Canadiens longer than PK Subban.

L’antichambre already crucifying Cunneyworth. Francois Gagnon saying that the team is playing the same as under Martin.

17 shots in the 3rd and a 4th line of significance is not the same as rolling 3 sometimes 2 lines and falling into a shell in the 3rd.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Exactly, hats off to Randy, it was 9-1 for shots at one point in the 3rd.
      But no goal scorers early on.

Cunneyworth et all are feeling out the players, a trade will happen.

• showey47 says:

I feel bad for RC. Certain members of the media are going to go out of their way to make life as miserable as possible for the cunneyworth.

• Roger Rabbit says:

Agreed. Anyways, I always laugh at these “professionals” that analayze games. What makes their opinion any better than any other fans? Nothing.

I like how Cunneyworth is on the bench, as well. He’s active and involved. If I was a player, I would appreciate it. (Much better than the previous zombie coach)

• Bill says:

They won’t stop. They’re a loathsome bunch of racist hacks. I can’t think of a nastier way to put it or I would. They’re a nauseating rabble of language Nazi bloodsuckers? Pathetic gaggle of little cry babies?

Full Breezer 4 Life

57. Roger Rabbit says:

Yes, Boone, the problem was Jacques Martin.

This was a very good game. The Habs played for 3 whole periods and I like Cunneyworth’s utilization of his bench.

Even though they lost, you can see that they are doing things that will lead to victories later on. They may lose to Chicago, but after that, watch out! lol

58. solomio says:

What;s the matter with you schmucks.? ( Happy Hanukah by the way ) Did you watch the freaking game.?? Or you just don’t know what the heck is going on? Habs played a good game tonight. They didn;t quit. The played hard. 4th line with Blunden played a heck of a game.
    Difference in this game was Thomas. Best goaltender in the league. If it wasn’t for him Habs win.
    Yeah they lost but they are starting to show something better than before.
    You heard it here first… Habs beat the Blackhawks.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

59. Big Ted says:

So tired of all the cheap shots from the french media… Alain Crete complaining about how Koivu being named captain led to a downward spiral in accepting English. And now on Anti-Chambre, Stephane Langlois saying, “we’ll have Cunneyworth’s press conference coming up soon, which of course, we’ll have to translate for you.” You’re supposed to be a professional, grow up already.

60. jo_maka says:

Pernell was bad tonight. Love the guy but, just a bad game. He looks snakebit somewhat. Like almost afraid to make a play and sometimes gets a brain fart like he’s not comfortable on the ice. Growing pains ? Maybe. But good heavens is it awful to witness. I still think the kid is a keeper.

I don’t understand how could we let Emelin out tonight. Beats me…..

You could see that Eller is really taking advantage of the coach change. Maybe JM didn’t like the fact he was imposed on him last year to justify PG’s trade and made him feel it. But the kid looks happy and is gettin more and more confident.

We’re gettin there people ! We’re gettin there. Skeptical about this bunch gettin to the playoffs. But the progressive hustle just ups the value of our expendables so we can finally be sellers and not buyers come deadline. I don’t see it happening this year. But next year’s looking better and better. I will never advocate tanking. But going down fighting just give us better bargaining chips to make the right move come summer.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

61. t1tan5 says:

All three goals were directly the result of a blatant defensive mistakes. Fix three things and we win this game 2-0.

62. Bill says:

Good game! Habs hung in there and were competitive to the end with the defending champs AND the hottest team in the league. The difference was goaltending, and that’s not a slam on Price, because Thomas is the best there is.

I liked the way the Habs traded chances with a team that, on paper, is infinitely superior, and came up just short. They fought to the end, and what more can you ask from this undermanned squad?

You may not agree, but I’ve been seeing good things the last two games. Give Cunneyworth a chance to actually work with this crew, and the results are going to improve: sorry lottery pick voyeurs!

Full Breezer 4 Life

63. SmartDog says:

I’m tired of hearing “this team is so close!”. I’ll tell you what they’re close to – dropping out of the playoff race. Could be the best thing if PG has the skills to trade some older guys and build for the future.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

64. The Dude says:

And they pull out Therien at RDS….WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO SAY?

65. t1tan5 says:

Those who want us to tank: don’t bitch when we lose. That’s hypocritical by definition.

66. HotHabs says:

Moen sucks – the creativity of a sloth.

Campoli sucks, so does Diaz

PK has been sucking a lot this season.

Cammi. sucks – zero drive and avoids all contact.

I realize the B’s are playing well, but the Habs suck. More power to you, Mr. Cunneyworth. Hopefully, management can do something to give you a few more solid horses in your stable – not holding my breath. in that.

And, Boone – really going back to the “innocence” of JM? Come on, man. Martin molded the game and mind set of this team over 2+ years and u think he wasn’t part of the problem? You suck, too.

67. HabsFanMTL says:

yeah put Emelin back in but put him on the Gill side………thats where he was busting……..

68. ludwig44 says:

It’s cold in the cellar………….

69. Hali_Hab says:

This team will win when we he a top 3 draft pick

70. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

They’ll get better… but it may be too late by then. Good thing more than half this conference is mediocre at best.

71. Sharks9 says:

Still 2 points out of a playoff spot. Seasons not even halfway done.

25 before 14

72. rogieshan says:

Remember how poorly the team played in the pre-season and so few here thought much of it?

73. gumper says:

Positives:
    1. We continue to give the Bruins all they can handle.
    2. We didn’t lose 6-0
    3. RC has a “get right back on the horse” philosophy (This will do wonders for the players’ self-confidence)
    4. The punitive benchings have ended
    5. Price continues to play well
    6. Rolling four lines is having some positive effects
    7. The team shows signs of going in the same direction again

74. Hali_Hab says:

Tank please!!! Just so we can get a top 3 pick!!!