Liveblog: Coyotes eliminate Hawks; Rangers stay alive

Smith

The unloved Phoenix Coyotes are going to the Western Conference semi-final and the Chicago Blackhawks are going home..
Goaltender Mike Smith, doing his best Jaroslav Halak impression with a 39-save shutout, kept his team in the game through the first 33 minutes, until Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored on Phoenix’s fourth shot of the game.

Former Canadien Kyle Chipchura scored the final  goal in a 4-0 win that ended Chicago’s season at a stunned United Centre.
They Coyotes won a playoff series for the first time in 14 tries, dating back to their time as the Winnipeg Jets.

They will face Nashville in the Western Conference semi-final.

The other series will match the L.A. Kings and St. Louis Blues.

Earlier on Monday night,  the chorus at ScotiaBank Place in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata was “Refs you suck!”
Henrik Lundqvist would agree.

An emotional Game 6 turned on penalties and ended in a 3-2  win for the
Trailing 1-0, the visitors scored three unanswered goals in the second period to take control.
The desperate Senators narrowed the lead on a late goal that enraged Lundqvist, but 38 seconds wasn’t enough time to get the equalizer.
Game 7 will be at Madison Square Garden on Thursday.

1. TomNickle says:

Final minor penalty total

Senators – 7
    Rangers – 5

The powerplays were actually even at five a piece. And the Senators were awarded a goal that was pretty clearly kicked into the net.

Not exactly a Senators screw job.

• Habsolutely says:

What you are failing to grasp is it’s not the amount of penalties for or against. The refs can subtly affect the outcome of a game by calling or not-calling a penalty at a certain point in time. C’mon dude, you’re a smart guy, it’s not rocket science.

• TomNickle says:

Sure they can. But you’ll have to forgive me for not buying into the vomit being spewed here about the Senators getting a raw deal tonight.

As I pointed out earlier. Gaborik was hooked out of a breakaway with no call when the Rangers trailed by a goal. Foligno made no effort to stop himself from hitting Lundqvist. Is it a borderline to bad call? Yeah, probably. But making no effort to get out of the way is the clincher. Foligno at any point could have dug his edge into the ice to stop himself from going into the goalie and didn’t. I wouldn’t have called it but they’ve called interference for less before.

As for the rest of the game. Ottawa wasn’t screwed at all. I saw you had a problem with the Rangers not getting a delay of game penalty. The replay of that clearly showed a deflection sending the puck out of play.

People want to yell conspiracy this time of year. It just simply wasn’t the case tonight. If it were, the Senators would have had that illegal goal rightfully disallowed.

It’s that simple.

• Habsolutely says:

It’s all good man. I respect and appreciate other peoples opinions. As long as their opinions don’t end up screwing my Habs. :lol:

• TomNickle says:

Just don’t hitch your wagon to the Panthers. ;)

And as for Ottawa, as I said below. Anybody playing Gonchar on their penalty kill is begging to get scored on.

• Habsolutely says:

Too late bro, Panthers are one of the few teams I root for other than the Habs. I kinda took them under my wing when I moved here to SoFla. They’re kinda like that poor pathetic kid in high school that can never get a date. After awhile you just feel sorry for them. Besides, I would rather commit Hari Kari then see the Broons win it again or see Philthydelphia win it.

2. habsfanforever7631 says:

Is it just me, or do anyone else want the Sens to lose?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I want them to lose less than I want the Rangers to lose. The clincher for me was the HNIC love-fest for Ryan Callahan before and during games 1&2. They used music from the motion picture “Dirty Dancing” for one of their video tributes. I thought that was a bit much.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• habs11s says:

worse than the remixed song that featured Crosby a year or so ago?

_____________________________________________________________

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I didn’t see that one, so I can’t say.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• habs11s says:

I’ve included a link in my earlier comment

_____________________________________________________________

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The 10 seconds between the time I clicked on your link and when I stop the video was the worst 10 seconds of my life :)

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
            – Sean Bonjovi

3. Mavid says:

Its the Chris Neil lovefest tonight…ug..no I would not want him on my team for the 1000 time..he is a tool…

4. TomNickle says:

Any team that plays Sergei Gonchar on their penalty kill is begging to get scored on.

5. Pucknut says:

After the Sens bow out, no more Canadian teams… again

6. SuperHabFan says:

Time to pull an all nighter watching yotes and hawks.. Definitely gettin your moneys worth. They’re gonna end up playing two series in one

7. BUY OUT GOMEZ! BUY OUT GOMEZ! BUY OUT GOMEZ!

8. L Elle says:

Well, that was a lot more fun than I expected. Still mourning our Habs’ season though…sigh.

9. Habsolutely says:

Holy Frack Torts, chill dude, you won the game. lol

10. Dr.Rex says:

IF Pierre McGuire became Habs GM what would his first move be:

a) Naming Melnick and Marinaro his Ass GM’s
    b) Trade for Lecavalier and/or Luongo
    c) Holds conference to announce how great he is.
    d) Hire Patrick ROy as HC and then fire him 45 minutes later after they have a ego filled argument.
    e) Reveals he is the real Mr. Peanut
    f) Takes the players out for a orange Julip.

11. TomNickle says:

How do the Refs not call an illegal shot block there?

Totally out to screw the Sens.

12. Stormin says:

bad call but a safe one, hard to see but obviously the top of his skate blade re propelled a stopped puck with a kicking motion

13. shootdapuck says:

Johnny a little dab oduya!

14. SuperHabFan says:

Thats actually a tough call

15. canada4l says:

Don’t worry Toronto will make sure this doesn’t count

Tim Peel and Chris Lee. I can’t wait until they both get the Finals together.

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

Tom, ran out of ‘Reply’ buttons below. You are of course right to be cautious about conspiracy theories, and the best antidote for them is the kind of data you put forward.

Still, if you’re familiar with the notion of logical possibility, you’ll know that conditions are sufficient for such a possibility at least to exist here!

• TomNickle says:

Not in this case.

If you’d like to talk about the draft lottery that saw the most unstable franchise in the league land the most touted prospect it’s ever seen in Sidney Crosby we can talk.

The officiating in this game? No go.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s an opinion.

The straw I’m grabbing at is a logical possibility, which means it can’t be ruled out.

But remember, I’m only looking for an alternative to accepting that refs can make such appalling calls!

3am here – raincheck on the Crosby draft story?

18. Stormin says:

Doesn’t Bob Cole make better sense for a spokesperson for Depends.

Or is that PJ Stock, represents another demographic aimed at lazy people who can not be bothered taking there skates off to make it to the bathroom.

19. TomNickle says:

Dear Mods,

The next time somebody refers to me as TomDickle, feel free to leave it alone without deleting it.

I’ve been called worse before and I’m sure I will be again.

20. slapshot777 says:

Anyone hear any updates on who might be on the Habs radar with regards to the new GM. Anyone else added to the list?

21. Mondou6 says:

I’d love to see Neil concussed.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s stupid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mondou6 says:

Neil’s in a roid-rage on the bench after taking a hit cleaner than the one he made the other night. Guess he can dish it out but not take it.

• canada4l says:

Blindside elbow/shoulder to the head is not clean. Neil’s hit was shoulder to chest.

• Mattyleg says:

a) It’s never pleasing to get hit in the head when you’re not looking, regardless of whether you’ve done it yourself or not
          b) Chris Neil takes steroids, according to you. Interesting.
          c) Your wanting to see a player get concussed says a lot about you as a person, none of which is very complimentary
          d) If Chris Neil played for the Habs, you’d be sending him tweets every five minutes with fan-fiction about man-dates you could go on together

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mondou6 says:

No need to get personal, eh?

• Mattyleg says:

Not getting personal, just saying that making comments like that don’t reflect very well on you.
            And that Chris Neil is the kind of player that every team would want, and if he played for the Habs you’d love him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mondou6 says:

You could say the same thing about Chara. I’d like to see him get concussed too.

I guess that makes me a bad person.

22. slapshot777 says:

I have said before that since Bettman took over this league that there always seem to be a fix in with regards to Canadian teams.

It seems like Bettman knows that the money will always be there with regards to support for the Canadian teams especially Montreal and Toronto.

He cannot be that guaranteed that same money for the American teams other than Rangers, Flyers and maybe Detroit. Past that and the waters get murky.

Bettman without question fixes the hockey and the only way to do it is through the officiating. Remember when the officials in the NBA got caught for betting on the games and helped it out by adding a fix to it.

The players won’t do it or take art in it. So the only way to determine outcomes it to have the referee call a bunch of penalties on one team.

Peel, Lee, are two of the most flagrant officials who seem to be on the take. There was another referee whose name eludes me. He was the official who got into it with Burrows in last years playoffs.

I haven’t seen him this year. Until Bettman gets out of hockey it will be very hard for any Canadian team to win a cup. The Habs who last won the cup was in the very first year Bettman took over. Haven’t seen one since.

23. Mattyleg says:

Hey tout le monde,
    Gots a serious question for you all:

Was thinking about it today in my shower (for some reason, I do my best thinking in the shower. Something about positively-charged ions created by falling water, perhaps…).

Why isn’t the league disciplinarian an ex-referee?
    Doesn’t that make sense? A trifle too much, perhaps?

I’m completely aware of the cynical reasons that this would never happen:
    1) Because referees are notoriously hard to put in your pocket, retired or not;
    2) Because it makes too much sense;
    3) Because it would make conflict-of-interest a thing of the past (and nobody wants that)
    4) Because refs are stupid and blind at the best of times, and don’t need 3 days of slo-mo replays to make the wrong decision…

So with those behind us, do you really think that would be better than an ex-player with no officiating experience and possible conflict-of-interest issues?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Letang-Pietrangelo
    one of Phaneuf/Alzner/Subban/Myers as seventh D

Price
    Fleury
    Ward

25. gmur says:

I know there are other games tonight and I’m off-topic, but please, please, eliminate the Bruins, Washington. If I have to listen to another playoff round of Broon commentators and fans, I think I’ll pack it in for the summer. F***ing Backstrom couldn’t play defence if his life depended on it. What a coaster on two Boston goals the other night…

26. TomNickle says:

The league was definitely out to screw the Senators and push the Rangers along when they suspended Hagelin for three games and Carkner for one.

Sound logic you guys have goin on here.

• Habsolutely says:

There are subtler ways to affect the outcome of a series than suspensions. Either the reffing is fixed, or the reffing in the NHL is the most incompetent in all of sport. Take your pick.

• TomNickle says:

It’s easily the most incompetent in professional sports.

Not even close.

• Habsolutely says:

Don’t mind me, I’m a conspiracy theorist at heart.

• TomNickle says:

If you’d like something to support it turn your attention to the NFL.

The New Orleans Saints have gone six consecutive playoff games and five consecutive regular season games without being called for an offensive holding penalty.

That’s either the best offensive line in the history of the NFL(not even close to the case) or they’ve been getting, ahem, good treatment.

• habsfan0 says:

Why would the league favour the Saints? Look what they just did to their head coach!

• Habsolutely says:

heh heh, I used to be a Cowboys fan till I got sick of watching Romo choke. I’m now a New Orleans fan.

• TomNickle says:

I have no idea why the NFL would favour the Saints or if they are at all.

But how do you think the opposing teams who’ve faced the Saints during this time of inexplicable whistle swallowing feel?

Consider their final game this year against the 49ers. You really think they didn’t have an illegal hold against THAT defense?

• habsfan0 says:

I’m a Bills fan.

Sucker for punishment.

27. Habsolutely says:

Looks like the Rangers are paid up with the right people. The “right people” being Gary Bettman and the corrupt National Hockey League.

28. Stormin says:

Are Chicago and Phoenix in overtime yet

29. canada4l says:

I don’t know what’s worse the refs or Bob Cole’s announcing.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Tough call, but it is hard to “outperform” Bob Cole.

• Mattyleg says:

Bob Cole doesn’t announce anymore.
      He just starts rambling when they drop the puck, they turn down his mic for commercials, then back up again for an anecdote that never finishes, starring players that don’t play anymore from countries that don’t exist anymore.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. habsfan0 says:

Jim Cornelison, the anthem singer at Chicago Blackhawk games isn’t bad,but I much prefer Wayne Messmer, who used to sing the anthems at the Chicago Stadium and Chicago Cubs games.

31. Habsolutely says:

You’d have to be a blind mute not to see the Ref’s are bias in this.

32. Habsolutely says:

Yet another obvious non-call on the Rangers.

33. Lizardking89 says:

Refs just screwed the Sens there

34. Old Bald Bird says:

Not cheering for Ottawa is totally Sens-less.

35. TomNickle says:

Six Senators penalties.

Four Rangers penalties.

Not lopsided officiating.

36. shootdapuck says:

Amazing coincidence that games with officiating “issues” seem to invariably involve the myopic Chris Lee, Tim Peel and Furlan!

Not to foget the regular season contributions of Dave Jackson.

37. Habsolutely says:

Wow, are the refs gonna call anything on the Rags?

38. TomNickle says:

Wow. I pop in and looking at the comments I’d think the Habs were getting screwed out of a playoff berth.

Matt Carkner hooked down Marian Gaborik early in that period and it prevented a clear breakaway for him. No call. Ottawa really isn’t getting a raw deal here.

Time for a cigarette break folks.

39. Pucknut says:

Gary Bettman has a vsion of an NYC vs LA final. So I’m not sure the Sens really have a chance.

40. habsfan0 says:

“Two-goal deficit against King Henrik?
    Over.”

We’ll see how well the Boone reverse jinx works tonite.

41. Dunboyne Mike says:

Who pays the refs? (Rhetorical).

Who would who pays the refs prefer to advance? The Big Apple or a team named after toga-and-sandals-wearing elders from the ancient world?

• TomNickle says:

I take it you didn’t see Matt Carkner hook Marian Gaborik out of a breakaway in the first ten minutes of the period with no call then.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What was the score then, Tom?
        What was the score when the soft penalties started taking over?
        I know, I know – conspiracy theories are juvenile. And I’m not a Sens fan, don’t dislike NY.
        But I hate shite reffing and I hate suspect reffing worse.

• TomNickle says:

The league probably has more to gain from the Senators winning at this point when you consider they’re the last remaining Canadian team.

If the Senators lose a good portion of Canada will turn off the tv. In New York, hockey market is great but they’ll still have the Devils.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Therefore ruling out League intervention with officiating?
            What if the objective isn’t maintaining Canadian figures but increasing American figures (Bettman’s raison d’etre)?

• canada4l says:

The Devils may be out after the next game. Canadian hockey fans are still hockey fans and will still watch even if no Canadian teams are left. If you had 2 Canadian teams playing in the finals you would have very few US fans watching.

• TomNickle says:

Wow.

Pretty hard to scream league mandate when the Sens are getting away with their share of infractions.

• TomNickle says:

And to answer your question the score was 1-0 for Ottawa when Gaborik was hooked down in plain view of the back official and it was 1-0 when Silfverberg took his bad penalty. It was 1-1 when Foligno’s penalty was called if I’m not mistaken.

I’m not sure what your point about the score is.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bah, I’m not sure either.

I’m looking at two scenarios I can’t believe and trying to choose the less unbelievable:
            1) that officials on this stage can be so poor, so inconsistent;
            2) that maybe the League is bringing a bearing on the officiating. Ugly and far-fetched, but, hey, way worse stuff happens. I would have no faith in the League being above such practices. Even just think of the Campbell situation last year.

• TomNickle says:

I think that since the lockout they’ve had tremendous difficulty in deciding what to let go and what to call. It has lead to a bunch of terrible decisions but I don’t think there’s been lopsided officiating in anyone’s favour so far in these playoffs.

• Pucknut says:

Gary does

42. L Elle says:

Neil’s going to have to beat someone else up now. hehe

43. habsfan0 says:

Looks like another Game 7.

I’ll take Washington & Ottawa in those games.

44. joshbenn says:

Hate ottowa and their tough guy attitude

45. joshbenn says:

This game is going more to my liking now

46. Bill says:

Refs completely changed the momentum of this game. Terrible officiating. Not hockey.

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. SuperHabFan says:

Let’s bring this back to NY!!

48. jo_maka says:

I know shot blocking isn’t supposed to be mind blowing, but I just love how Phillips didn’t even flinch when the puck went…..well for lack of a better word, PUCKKK!!! on him during that PK.

He was all like: “That all you got baby ???!!!”
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

49. Lizardking89 says:

Let’s go Rangers!

50. Laramy87 says:

Refs are now deciding this game.

51. Mavid says:

thanks HB…

52. Bill says:

Ha, brutal call on Foligno.

Full Breezer 4 Life

53. Habsolutely says:

Karlsson learning that NHL playoff hockey is a little bit different than playing for Frolunda in the swedish league.

54. L Elle says:

“Honey, sit down, you’re making a fool of yourself”

“I don’t care, that was BULLSH1T, dear.”

55. Stormin says:

refs have to be idiots every game really, let the teams decide the outcome , damn

56. Phil C says:

Spezza’s refusal to shoot the puck is giving my Ottawa-fan wife a brain aneurysm.

57. Stormin says:

Alfie’s Stasche got in the way , or he would have got that past Lundquist as that pass was right in his Garry Galley Pinwheel

Oh man that was an awesome play and even awesomer save.

59. Bill says:

Karlsson was super-weak on that Stepan goal. Campoli-esque.

Full Breezer 4 Life

60. Phil C says:

Momentum shift.

That was an ugly hit on McDonagh

62. Mavid says:

to each his own..I prefer Lapierre..and PK…you can only have so many hated players on your team…I will settle for PK..

63. HFX-HabFan says:

Not that I care for the guy whatsoever, but it’s Healy, not Healey.

64. Mavid says:

yea i read the list…I still don’t want Neil on our team..

65. commandant says:

Could Quenneville become available if the Hawks lose tonight?

I doubt it, I think the blame will go to goaltending, but interesting to think about, and I think he speaks French.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

66. shootdapuck says:

Mavid,

Rather Neil than Yappierre any day!

Yappierre soiled the jersey more than any player in recent history!

Turtleing, diving and that ridiculous Cheshire Cat imitation!

• Stormin says:

ya but Yappierre est un kid locale

______________________________________________
      “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
      Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

67. Stormin says:

Brandon Prust does his best Benny Pouliot imitation
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

68. Habsolutely says:

HaHa, Torts looks like he’s about to freakin explode. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the Rags dressing room.

69. Stormin says:

From Galley

On Craig Anderson direct quote
    Big tall body , erect , straight up

______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

Anderson is playing great hockey, wow what a turnaround from Last season.

• Habsolutely says:

He was awesome when he was here in Florida. I got a good look at him when Vokoun was injured. He’s talented, but he’s a little streaky.

Gaborik shat it out?

72. Phil C says:

Ottawa has a pretty good line-up for $51M.

Looks like Lundqvist took that shot right in his Pinwheel!!