Liveblog: It’s Devils vs. Kings for the Stanley Cup

Marty11

Adam Henrique poked a loose puck past Henryk Lundqvist less than two minutes into overtime to secure a 3-2 New Jersey win.
The Rangers, who finished the regular season atop the Eastern Conference, had rallied from a 2-0 deficit to send the game into OT.
On Wednesday night at the Prudential Centre, the great Martin Brodeur will make the 200th start of his playoff career.

Brodeur has not played in the Cup finals in nine years.

Ilya Kovalchuk scored and assisted on the winner to raise his playoff total to 18 … finally overtaking Claude Giroux for the lead.

1. ProHabs says:

Are the Habs interested in bringing Travis Moen back or are they going to let him test the market.

• HabFab says:

Only MiB know ;)

• jols101 says:

I hope they sign him before July1st. He was injured at the trade deadline last year so the Habs couldn’t even entertain offers.
      I really like what Moen brings-Toughness, Penalty Killer, Bang and Crasher, Great in his own end, and can Bang in a handful of goals…
      Burke and the Laffs know they need to get bigger and tougher and with the common history in Aneheim, the Laffs will surely snap him up and we will get nothing. So, Bergevin, sign this guy..3 years…2 million per…

• steve17 says:

Good Question! I suppose it will depend on if they think Geoffrion or one of the other prospects can fill the 3rd line role better and cheaper. It also may depend on if they decide to keep Darche and or Staubitz. These are all 3rd and 4th line left wingers and they need a 2nd line left wing!

Habfan17

2. habstrinifan says:

Did you see? Bruins traded for Bourque today.

No no that Bourque! Nor that Bourque either! But the son of that Bourque! Hamill (former 1st rdn pick) to Wash. for Raymond Bourque’s son.

• HabFab says:

Hamill was the 8th pick that draft and Ryan McDonagh went 12th while MaxPac went 22nd. Just goes to show that the draft is always a bit of a crap shot and every team makes mistakes.

3. HabFab says:

Nashville has the 21st pick in the 2012 draft. So if NJ passes on their 1st pick this season (seeing as it will be 29th or 30th makes sense), we could be drafting;
    3rd
    32nd
    50th
    62nd
    92nd

• chelseafan says:

Me too- I think the second round may be very interesting. As for the prior Kadri vs. Leblanc talk they are probably third line players with Leblanc having the defensive upside and the roots to make him a better fit in Mtl IMO. Can’t wait for the draft. Very confused as to who we should take… Forsberg is my inkling…

I’m not sure if anyone is playing the Sportsnet playoff pool but I found it interesting (and very frustrating) that they didn’t list Salvador as a choice for New Jersey.

5. habstrinifan says:

In a discussion re Andreas Athansiou, another Knight’s name was brought up.. N. Kadri re similar attitude.

I am going to ask… simply ask.. not wish for or talk as a trade. My question goes to how each player’s upside is perceived.

So here goes.

Would you trade Louis Leblanc straight up for Kadri. I am not interested in the ‘homeboy plus’ factor here. Just player for player mainly on perceived upside.

6. shootdapuck says:

” McGuire doesn’t believe Toronto has much hope of landing a Malkin or Staal. He doesn’t believe the Leafs have the prospects Pittsburgh would want. He called the organization “asset poor.”

Pierre McGuire in an interview with Bob Pompeani on the 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh.

Wasn’t McGuire recently praising the LAFFs organization for having great depth in the AHL club?

McGuire speaks with forked tongues!

Maybe just to a Toronto radio station!

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

7. Sir.Plekers says:

should be a good one ;)

SIR PLEKERS

8. frontenac1 says:

Staubitz,Moen,White.There’s your fourth line.Good speed,ample toughness,affordable.They are also capable of scoring,which is not the primary role of the fourth line.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d be happy with that. Hope White bounces back though he looked “off” after returning last year.

• Max says:

I thought White looked fine for a guy that missed most of the season with a serious injury. He never looked out of place and needed time to get it all back.

• 24 Cups says:

White and Leblanc have basically both played RW ever since they joined the Habs.

I wonder if that will hold true for next season.

If so, then we need to sign an UFA centre for the 4th line. Staubitz and Darche could be the 13th and 14th forwards.

• steve17 says:

Moen and Staubitz are left wingers and Moen should be on the 3rd line. Blunden was very solid as the 4th line right wing nd had the 2nd most hits of the forwards in limited action.

Habfan17

9. Lafleurguy says:

The Beelzebubs were nominally the East’s sixth seed but their regular season’s 102 points were equal to second-seed Boston’s total, one behind fourth-seed Philaedelphia, and eight better than third-seed Florida’s 94 points. Kovalchuk, he of the devilishly high-risk contract, is slightly ahead of Martin F., and super-rookie Adam Henrique for Devils in the running for the C.S. trophy. Satanic sidekicks, Travis Zajac, and Zac Parise are all-stars. Luciferian luminaries also include the venerable Patrick Elias, and Petr Sykora. Far from being devilish deadweight are David Clarkson, a jewel of a free agent unearthed by the Lou’s Band of Scouts, and Stephen Gionta, who at age 29 is not a devil-in-diapers, nor does he infernally tower over brother Brian, as he too is 5’7″. This skating Band of Beelzebubian Brothers may ultimately win one of Earth’s most treasured sports prizes!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

You are dead on. Don’t have the game results handy but the Rangers owned the Devils this season prior to this season. I’m guessing that a split of those games may have put the Devils at the top seed. Does anyone have those?

———————————–

10. frontenac1 says:

Don’t like Bob Cole? Try this; Pour a tall Vodka Soda and Lime,Fire up a Rocket and let waves of “The Bob”wash over you.It is surreal and sublime.

11. JUST ME says:

I did predict a win for the Devils in 6 ! Wow ! That`s a first this season !
    Must admit though that the Devils are a much better team than i predicted from line 1 to line 4. A much harder working bunch than the Rangers who tend to wait for their big stars to make the difference wich does not happen every game.

Now for the Kings -Devils final euh…. I go with the Kings in 6 cause position for position the Kings have more talent and fire power. I think the Kings will force the Devils to open the play a bit and take advantage of giveaways and mistakes with speed and talent.

But of course as it has been the case since day 1 of the playoffs, i could be wrong…

Go Cats go !

• Hab it says:

There really can be no question now that Leapin’ Lou belongs in the category of greatest G.M. of all time up there with Pollock and Selke. What he’s done consistently, with a club as frugal as the Devils have always been, is nothing short of remarkable.

• Lafleurguy says:

You’ve made me think about this and I have to agree that Lamoriello has earned a place in the “Pantheon” of GMs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

I was also thinking the reasons why the Devils have been so consistently one of the realistic challengers for the Stanley Cup almost every year for at least the last 15 or so years..or so it seems without checking. Off the top of my head I cant remember when the HABS were ahead of the Devils as true cup contenders) .

You are absolutely right. It’s principally Lou Lamourello. But it seems to me that the Devils organization has been one of the ‘best coached’ organizations over the last 15 or so years. It seems that on any given year, even through the times of abrupt coaching changes by LOU, that NJ has always been one of the more uniformly capably coached team in the league. If any team in the NHL owe their success to good coaching, it has been the Devils.

And coincidentally, HABS alumni have figured prominently in their coaching ranks. And even more telling Larry Robinson has probably been the most common, though not continuously present, denominator.

12. jedimyrmidon says:

So why is the Devil’s 4th line so effective? They contribute on the scoresheet at important moments. Is it their speed, physicality, ability to create turnovers,…?

• christophor says:

they possess the very un-staubitz-like ability to pop in a few.

really, i wish staubitz had a little finishing ability: 5-10 goals a year. he can skate really well for an enforcer and so it’s a shame that speed goes to waste.

since he’s in no way a threat to score from time to time, let him walk.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would rather Staubitz there than zero toughness.

• commandant says:

Staubitz would be my plan E, or plan F…. I’d like a guy who can play like Prust, Asham, or the like.

Re-sign moen… sign another guy like that, sign a defenceman like a Bryan Allen and let Staubitz walk.

Plenty of toughness in Moen, Prust, White, Allen,

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Max says:

Staubitz brings “A” level fighting to the team which they haven’t had in years. He can fight with the best of em’ and the team plays bigger when they know he’s on the ice.He isn’t a heavyweight but isn’t afraid of anyone and can skate really well for a tough guy. Moen and White are physical but they can’t really fight the big guys and are more scrappers and agitators.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Aaron Asham is borderline disgusting. He is right up there with the old Matt Cooke and Raffi Torres. He has zero respect for other players and is pretty much a dumb hick.

Prust is a great grinder but is more of a middle-weight or light heavyweight. Lucic has beaten the tar out of him a couple times. I’d love Prust on our team but I’d like to make sure we also have that legit heavyweight.

Allen would be the most valuable of them all in my opinion for more reasons than fighting and I’d also love him on our team.

Oh and White looked terrible after returning from injury last season. I wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t stick next season.

• adamkennelly says:

Every team in the league is gonna want Prust. I’ll take Staubby- cheaper and he can play well enough for a fighter.

• commandant says:

I don’t buy the argument that a fighter who can fight and win heavyweights makes the team better.

Not in today’s day and age where the instigator rule means that these Heavyweights really only fight each other.

Laraque didn’t scare anyone, and he didn’t stop Lucic from running around like an idiot… all Lucic did was laugh at him and go about his business.

People keep going on about how the Rangers were good because they had the most fights in the league, but the team with the 2nd most fights…. The Blue Jackets.

There is no correlation between fights and wins.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• boing007 says:

Staubitz has a good left hook.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• db says:

It’s the Gionta factor. I say we just go with Gionta-White-Staubitz for our fourth line next year, regardless of coach.

13. FanCritic says:

In todays Hockey gotta build a team that can make the playoffs anything goes from there – just proven 6th and 8th place teams playing for the cup. start of the playoffs no one out there thought that this is the way it would go down, this is a good example for the Habs… build a team that’s in the playoffs at trade deadline and make the necessary changes to have a chance at winning a cup.

14. HabFab says:

The NHL Combine invitees which follows the Memorial Cup;

15. Marcusman says:

So just so it’s said it was #27 RYAN MCDONAGH who didn’t cover the goal scorer in ot last night…watch the replay extremely weak play on his part when his team needed him the most.

16. frontenac1 says:

I prefer L”Antichambre.At least there the guys occationaly question PJ”s sanity.I wish Hrudey would too on CBC.

• Hobie Hansen says:

My god, Stock is beyond horrible!

Every time I hear him speak on HNIC I question how or why in the world CBC is ruining what’s left of their dwindling reputation?

The man can’t put a simple sentence together without fumbling for words or without McLean or Hrudey jumping into bail him out.

I loved Cole and Cherry in their prime but it is time to get rid of both of them and especially Stock and start with a new look next year.

17. ed lopaz says:

ok, I’m going to put my scout hat on now and give you guys a little heads up.

the kid who was discussed below by the commandant,

Andreas Athansiou, of the London Knights

will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, steals of this draft in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

the kid turned sour in London playing for the Hunters, and that crap happens in life.

the “draft” is a chance to steal a few guys.

I believe in talent and coaching.

the talented kid can always be coached.

• HabFab says:

Good point, he was ranked 6th at season start and then 24th at mid season before ending at 40th for North American skaters from CSS. I’m sure with the Canadiens keeping tabs on Tinordi that they would be familiar with him and his situation both pros and cons.

• SlimDiggity says:

Ed, I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you on Athanasiou. I’ve seen this kid play a ton over the last two years against a very weak Erie team and he has been unimpressive (with plenty of icetime). I’m not saying he’s not talented or won’t turn it around, but there’s a reason he’s falling in the rankings.

I knew it was a weak draft year when he was originally projected as a first rounder…

• commandant says:

Tons of talent, but the word that comes to mind when you watch him is “soft”.

He plays like he’s afraid to get hit.

He’s got the talent though, so as Ed said he might be a draft steal.

I called him a BOOM or BUST player….. the talent is there, can he develop the heart? thats the question.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Hab it says:

I live in London. He’s a faster Rob Schremp and his lack of a work ethic killed his career. The kid thinks he should be given ice time instead of earning it. He’s the opposite of former 1st round pick Chris Tierney who is draft eligible and has played very well towards the end of the season because unlike Athanasiu he bought what the Hunters were selling. Kadri failed in London at times because he thought he walked with the Gods and his future is very shaky.

18. frontenac1 says:

Work stoppage?Please No! “She got the goldmine and I got the shaft”….Jerry Reed.

19. HabFab says:

What time do the Habs play today?

20. ed lopaz says:

wonder what the great PJ Stock has to say about the Devils today?

yes, PJ, we all recall your great pearls of wisdom when you tried to explain that the Devils could never advance in these playoffs because they played “soft”.

hockey “experts” like PJ Stock are eating a double portion of humble pie this morning a la mode with crow flavored ice cream.

• HabFab says:

Please Ed, no “pearls of wisdom” comments about PJ when his name now is synonymous with “adult diapers”….

• Habsolutely says:

Anybody with a lick of hockey smarts knows you never count out the Devils. They are, and always have been a team designed for playoff success. IMO, one of the best managed teams over the last decade. They will beat the Kings and Mike Richards will be at the night club in LA crying in his beer.

• Kooch7800 says:

…they have also been one of the most boring teams to watch for eons. I would never pay to see the devils play. If all the NHL was like that I wouldn’t watch NHL hockey.

In saying that, there team this year played a lot more offensive style while still playing smart defensively.

this year they have been more fun to watch but I will never praise the way they have played.

There is a reason hockey is not huge in NJ even with a winning team

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Habsolutely says:

Ya, their style wasn’t very entertaining. I really like what DeBoer has done with them, he opened them up a little offensively while still playing that defensive game. Much more fun to watch.

• boing007 says:

Sitting beside Tom Waits, Jack Nicholson and many other Hollywood celebrities and sports fans.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

21. frontenac1 says:

I stand corrected Commandant!Thanks.

22. ed lopaz says:

you know the riots that take place after the Habs lose (or win).

when we all ask ourselves, who are these thugs?

who are these imbeciles that believe in nothing except their own self taught philosophy that the police, the government, and anyone who is successful is to blame for their “plight”, for their “misery”.

we post here at HIO in a civilized manner trying to speculate on their motives.

why would Habs fans be so stupid, so ignorant, so rude, and so lacking in respect??

when the Habs missed the playoffs this season, what motive could they possibly use to get back onto the streets??

how fortunate that a small minority of students decided to protest!!

now I understand who those so called Habs “fans” really are.

now we should all understand.

• habstrinifan says:

Disagree!

• boing007 says:

The student vote to reject Bill 78 was about ten to one.

My mistake, it was 80 to 1.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• HardHabits says:

I completely disagree.

The current events have nothing to do with the Habs sports riots that started in ’86 and happened again in ’93. Unreal to think how the Habs sucked so much since then to see a first round victory against the Bruins provoke another one in ’04.

But if you want to get to the meat and potatoes of the crux of the matter…

IMO the blocking of BNC employees from work, the blocking of the port and bridges, and the ousting of students from UQAM classes were more than just poorly strategized moves. They were blunders that pushed public support into the hands of the government. I am not including the vandalism and smoke bombs because IMO they were caused by fringe elements that have little to do with the initial protest. I don’t support any of those actions whatsoever. Few people do. Regardless, Bill 78 is 10x more the blunder than those students acts were.

I can also candidly admit that I was against the protests and supported the hikes in tuition at first, even though I thought 75% in 5 years was excessive if not draconian. However, I have been seduced by the pots and pans demos. Google Icelandic financial crisis (protests).

23. frontenac1 says:

Agreed! Give more Local Kids a chance,where possible to make the team.Cherry has been saying the same thing in Leafland for awhile now.

• commandant says:

Cherry isn’t exactly the guy I want to take management advice from.

Besides that Montreal is 2nd in the NHL in the number of players drafted from the Q over the last decade. And that number doesn’t include Louis Leblanc, of course.

It also doesn’t take into account the Desharnais, Masse, Delmas, Lefebvre, Dame-Malka, or other free agents that we’ve signed from the QMJHL.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• boing007 says:

Like the Cataractes Loik Poudrier.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• HabInToronto says:

Yeah I was trying to figure that one out too….

• boing007 says:

Probably the student demos.

P.S.
      I saw Ain’t Misbehavin’ on Broadway in 1978: a celebration of jazz great, Fats Waller. There were no blacks in the audience, just us white folks.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• TomThompson says:

I didn’t see it as racist, just the protests in Montreal seem overwhelmingly white, just as the crowd at the game.

24. issie74 says:

Go Devil’s!!!

NorthTOHab

25. frontenac1 says:

Students being played for chumps! Charest govt needs this “crisis” as smoke screen .Two words…Charbonneau Commission! Starts rolling in sept.Its going to be huge and could do to Que Liberals what Gomery did to Fed Liberals. Always follow the money my friends.

26. issie74 says:

Beaulieu Ellis defensive tandem on the Bulldogs next year.Wow!
    Haven’t seen Greg Patteryn yet … anybody?

Tinordi is a beast … so big.

NorthTOHab

27. novahab says:

Message to Burke we don’t want any of your so called secret information. You suck,your team sucks so why the hell do we want anything you might do. Just listen to Roy, pick the players he wants and we’ll be just fine. Don’t hire Roy or listen to him, and you’ll hear at the end of the year fire the GM again.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

I must admit that I’m pretty surprised that NJ has made it all the way to the finals. Who would have thunk it?

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and NYR were at the top of almost everyone’s’ list to come of the east.

Pretty remarkable when you look at their defense and Marek Zidlicky and Bryce Salvador are their top two defenders.

Also when the teams were lining up to shake hands the size difference between the two clubs was very noticeable. The Devils are a pretty small group.

29. Lafleurguy says:

Hello Rick Dudley!

“May you live in interesting times.”

30. Captain aHab says:

I’m liking what I’m seeing from Morgan Ellis and Tinordi. I think that Beaulieu will need to be coached a bit more but man can he jump into the rush. Not sure about Bournival yet…how will his game translate to the NHL?

I think it’s time to draft more O to go with that D.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• habstrinifan says:

Wow! Our perspectives are so much different.

a) While you mention Beaulieu with a good ‘potential’ tag you are not ‘sure’ re Bournival ever being NHL ready. From what I have seen in the tournament, a case can be made that Bournival seems the ‘most’ ready for the NHL right now. He has been oustanding in this tournament.. as captain and as a tough, high-energy all round performer on the ice. He is always involed in the play and is always in front of the opponent’s net.

I agree that Ellis and Tinordi have performed well. The finals will be a great showcase for them both.. and of course Bournival my favourite right now.

However, I still think that Tinord may be the first to make the jump to the big team… maybe even this season coming. Primarily because of his exceptional size and the uncomplicated type of game he plays and also the team’s needs for two BIG BODY STAY AT HOME D. He may be able to be ‘accelerated’ without much detriment to his career.

But I ask you again to pay close attention to Bournival in the finals. He is not flashy but he is everywhere and does everything without fear.

Bournival has been the most impactful of the 4 habs in the tournament and Beaulieu the weakest. Granted there is no one with smoother skating ability than Beaulieu . Again these observations are only my humble opinion.

• JF says:

I agree that Bournival was very good, but he has a tendency to take bad penalties; and he had an all round bad game against the Sea Dogs on Wednesday. The player who surprised me the most was Morgan Ellis. He was far more impressive than Beaulieu, better positionally, better passes, and a great shot. He looks like being a steal.

In Beaulieu’s defence, he’s the youngest of the four. My main complaint about him is that he seemed intent on doing everything by himself, which got him into a lot of trouble. But he’s already an elite skater with good offensive instincts. He just needs to play more of a team game.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree wholeheartedly with all you said, including Ellis being biggest surprise. Bournival will take more penalties I agree, cause he’s always in the mix-ups fighting for the puck. It would be great show watching them three in the finals.

• boing007 says:

Bournival? Just dandy.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

31. Un Canadien errant says:

You guys remember how good it seemed Illy Kovalchuk was going to be when he broke in with the Trashers? He was on the cusp of being one of the faces of the NHL. Remember the Nike commercial with Markus Naslund and him?

He then seemed to fade, with his contract status and a bad team the prime suspects for the drop-off in performance. Last summer the mammoth contract with the Devils almost turned him into a punchline.

What a difference a strong playoff run makes. He’s finally arrived at where we always thought he would get to.

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• The Cat says:

Hes probably one of the best in the opponents zone.

• ed lopaz says:

in 11 NHL seasons, Kavalchuk has scored 30 goals or more 9 times.

(in his rookie season, as a 19 year old, he scored 29, and in 2009 he scored 10 goals in 27 games.)

it was never his responsibility that he played on some terrible Thrashers teams, and even some bad ones in New Jersey as well.

it’s the pundits, the so-called “experts”, who had written him off.

the same “experts” who wrote off Marty Brodeur as being an over rated, and now washed up goaltender.

some of us “non experts” like to watch the games, and we appreciated Kovalchuk’s immense talent and fantastic scoring ability.

re: Boone’s comment on student demos – seems to me that 3 generations of my family living in Montreal is more than enough. I am encouraging my children to live elsewhere. This Province is being run over by an arrogant, ignorant, spoiled herd of thugs who, after ignoring numerous court injunctions to end their school boycott over $350 per year increase, are now attempting to use the same courts to their advantage. I’ve seen enough to understand that the nuts are now running the asylum. Bonjour La viste.

• Curtis O Habs says:

The only arrogant herd of thugs or nuts running the asylum are the Police and the Politicians. One day soon when the economy completely collapses and you can`t feed your family, hopefully the police won`t smash you in the head with a club while you protest for food.

• ed lopaz says:

ignoring court injunctions has nothing to do with police or politicians and everything to do with anarchy.

there is no justification for this when my tax dollars have subsidized the most affordable university education in Canada.

what a joke!!

beating their breakfast pans to draw attention to their “plight”.

$3500 for a year of university education, appropriate loans and grants readily available for the truly needy,

this action is illegal, its a joke, and it should be stopped before some innocent people get seriously injured.

• boing007 says:

Could you tell us the average amount for loans and bursaries?

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• smiler2729 says:

He’s better than I thought he’d be especially in the intangibles deptartment…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

32. Newf_Habster says:

LA Kings over NJ Devils in 6!

Good night, my dear fellow Habsters! :)

33. Bozo McBozo says:

Did anyone jump higher than Larry Robinson when Henrique potted the winner?

• boing007 says:

Any higher and he would have knocked out a few more light bulbs.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

34. Boomer says:

who would of guessed LA vs NJ final?!?

I haven’t been following student protests in Mtl, but is Boone implying that only white students protest?

36. The Gonk says:

Boy was McDonagh impressive. Too Bad. The better team won and if NJ can win the first game then it will interesting to see how LA will react. So far it is been a cake walk for them and no team should cruise to a cup without facing real adversity.

• Bozo McBozo says:

I like the Devs’ chances. Not much has been made of it, but they have a boatload of hockey knowledge on their bench. God, if bringing back Carbo can get us Larry, do it Jeff! Do it!

37. AceMagnum says:

Stupid Devils!

worst thing that could’ve happened.

Hope the Kings sweep.

38. Max says:

TomNickleback hasn’t chimed in,in hours.I’m worried about the kid!:)

• ProHabs says:

I think he has gone over to Eyes on the Prize to comment. He and Berkshire are in a douzy of a discussion. They both want to get the last word in and they are both always right.

39. Bozo McBozo says:

Not the match-up Bettman or the League wanted, but tickets will be much cheaper at the Rock than at MSG.

40. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Personally, I’m thrilled to see a NJ/LA finals for the mere fact that I have both Brodeur and Quick in my playoff pool.

A 7-game series filled with shutouts will suit me and my wallet just fine thank-you very much.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

41. commandant says:

New Jersey vs Los Angeles should produce an exciting series. I like the matchup stylistically.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

42. jedimyrmidon says:

Glad NJ won over NY (mostly because NY got severely outplayed in the first few games, but their pushback improved in the last two games [and they still lost]).

From the TVA feed (Memorial Cup), Kris Letang called the Rangers the league’s “pretty boys”. Wonder what he means by that… I could think of the Penguins in that sense though I bet NY was the annual league favourite to advance.

• sprague cleghorn says:

That image goes way back. In the sixties, Gordie Howe was asked to evaluate the chances of various teams at the start of a season. He talked about the Habs’ skating, Hawks’ explosive offense, Leafs’ D, Boston’s toughness.

“What about the Rangers?” the reporter asked.

“Pretty uniforms”, replied Gordie.

43. HFX-HabFan says:

That DeBoer-Tortorella handshake was as brief as a pair of Hanes

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Curt yet ciivil. Not unlike some of Torts press conferences.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

44. neumann103 says:

Ron F MacLean just recited Talking Heads lyrics to extro the telecast tonight.

Just give it a rest.

“Et le but!”

45. habsfan0 says:

Henryk Lundqvist: great regular season goaltender, but NOT a money goalie. Where have I heard that before?

46. naweed235 says:

I think it’s now safe to say that with the run that Devils are having, big bird will be nowhere near the Habs bench next year…
    I have to say, as much as I did not want the Rags to go to the finals there was a part of that wanted the devils to get eliminated as soon as possible to increase the chances of having Robinson with us next year…

• habstrinifan says:

I dont think it means that Robinson wont be here. Remember the coach when he is selected can name his assistants when he pleases. Also there may already have been behind the scenes agreement among all involved. Bear in mind that Robinson never comitted long term to NJ.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I cant see Marc Bergevin showing all the wide ranging hires to improve the club and not even ‘reach’ out re Robinson. Bergevin seems too smart.

Can Henrique’s interview be any more cliche?

• twilighthours says:

Classic timo. Bitch for bitching’s sake.

The guy just scored the goal of his life, his head is spinning, he hasn’t had a chance to catch his breath much less formulate an intelligent thought. What did you expect?

I would interested to see your interview after something like that.

• Klondike Habs Fan says:

Timo, your sarcasm is really the most entertaining thing on here in the offseason. And the replys you elicit from others.

48. twilighthours says:

I’d be in favour of selling the farm to get parise.

49. habstrinifan says:

Whoopppeee! Henrique scores, Rangers die, and we escape another two weeks of Ryan MacDonaugh reminders. Only a couple more PG stains to erase.

No discredit to MaDonaugh… that assist on the first Ranger goal was elite level Robinson like defenseman on offense.

What does it mean to be back in SCF?! What kind of idiotic question is that? Nah, it feel awful… means nothing. Just like another day in the office. (rolls eyes)

51. twilighthours says:

Man was mcdonagh flopping around on the winner

52. habstrinifan says:

If it is true that Habs is a class organization then every HAB employee from now has to act with class. And so I hope that Rick Dudley maintains his integrity re the draft and there is not even the smallest reason for Burke to pounce on something and sully the HABS front office after the draft.

Besides we dont need inside information to beat the Leafs at drafting.. we have Timmins and Marc Bergevin.

GO HABS GO!

53. HFX-HabFan says:

Well full credit to Boone- I remember him commenting on one of their games back in like February, saying that the Devils would be a tough opponent come playoff time. Not sure if you saw them going to the Cup final Boone, but you were certainly right in your assessment!

54. frontenac1 says:

Henrique takes a shot in the pills in the 3rd and sores in OT!

55. Un Canadien errant says:

Should the Rangers be concerned about Ryan McDonagh? Can’t win the big games? Chokes in overtime? Maybe they want to send him back?

———————————

56. Mark C says:

McDonagh sure was great on that goal, just sitting there on his butt.

57. gmur says:

#9 against #13 for the cup.

58. frontenac1 says:

Alright Devils!!!

59. gmur says:

devils rule

60. punkster says:

Ha!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. gmur says:

Dainius Zubrus… he has been a very involved player whenever I watch the Devils in this year’s playoffs. He was a real antagonist against Philly… Who knew? Don’t remember him as that type of player when he was with Montreal.

• twilighthours says:

He was a kid then

• gmur says:

Zubrus has more grit than I remember… Didn’t think you could learn to be a gritty pest. You are or you aren’t… Take Lucic… he’s a kid, but he’s a pain to play against. Doubt he’ll be a really different player in 10 years. Zubrus seems really different.

62. HFX-HabFan says:

Also was pulling for the Sea Dogs…had they won, they would have been the first team in Memorial Cup history to repeat as champs following up a previous repeat (Windsor in ’09 and ’10).

63. HFX-HabFan says:

It irks me a bit that Shawinigan is into the final. Call me a purist, but I don’t like the idea that a team that has been sitting around for a few weeks gets a second shot against teams that are more banged up and tired, even though they couldn’t get past the second round of their league’s respective playoffs.

The same thing happened in ’99, Ottawa was bumped in round two of the OHL playoffs by my Belleville Bulls and then (as hosts) beat the Bulls at the Memorial Cup semi (stupid Lance Galbraith), and then went on to win the Cup in OT.

64. habstrinifan says:

I refuse to follow the NYR-NJ game.. well after that amazing assist on Rangers first goal by MacDonaugh. I cant stand the pain. So sorry Boone.. cant read your blog until final result(hopefully NYR loss). Watching Bournival and Ellis was better.

65. shootdapuck says:

Has Tortorella burned out his blue line?

Too many minutes for McDonough and Girardi?

66. habstrinifan says:

So anyone else agrees that Michael Bournival has been the most effective/outstanding habs prospect in the tournament.. second is probably Ellis.

• Hali_Hab says:

That’s a hard call, Tinordi has been pretty steady as well.

• habstrinifan says:

Yes Tinordi has been steady but Bournival while not flashy dictates a lot on the ice. I wont rag on Beaulieu. He looks the youngest among all the prospects and therefore let’s just see how his game develops while not overhyping him becaus eof his superb Lafleur like smoothness.

Being fair to the others Bournival has had more games to show his stuff.

• commandant says:

I’d say Tinordi…. he’s played against everyone else’s best line and the guy just gives up 0 scoring chances 5 on 5.

Bournival was awesome the last 2 nights, but was bad on Wednesday IMO. I like him, but that game kept him out of saying he was “most impressive”.

Ellis has been solid every game… I love that kid as a prospect.

Beaulieu had 2 good games and 1 meh game, and tonight that was AWFUL.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• boing007 says:

More impressed with Ellis than Beaulieu. Bournival looks great.
      How about a shout out for Loik Poudrier?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

67. Hali_Hab says:

How would one go about adding a Pic to their profile?

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
    Guy Lafleur.

68. frontenac1 says:

Henrique gets lumber right in the junk! Ouch!

69. Hali_Hab says:

Ellis looks pretty solid.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
    Guy Lafleur.

70. shootdapuck says:

That crackberry chick is annoying!

A thousand happy face emails!

• Hali_Hab says:

Do you mean the “Digi Tour” chick?

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
      Guy Lafleur.

• neumann103 says:

I call her “1000 emails a day chick”

You should google her. There are many many many others out there sick of seeing that stupid freaking commercial.

Woops, Devils scored.

Damn You Meridith Valiando!!!!!!

“Et le but!”

71. Boomer says:

I’m impressed with ellis’ play so far, not standout but he does the little things very well. And Bournival has great hustle and determination. Tinordi is a defensive beast. And BEaulieu had a good tourney besides the turnover in OT.