Liveblog: Capitals 3 Rangers 2 – series tied

Torts

Mike Green, who’s had a quiet series, blasted one through Henrik Lundqvist on a Washington power play for the only goal of the third period and a 3-2 win.
This really good series heads back to the Apple tied 2-2.
Significant stat: Washington blocked 26 shots to seven for the Rangers.
Jeff Schultz had nine blocks.

Racist Tweets about Joel Ward draw school suspensions

1. otter649 says:

Does Torts need PJ Stock’s Depends ?

2. commandant says:

St. John wins 3-2, to take a 2-0 series lead.

Hoping for 4 Habs prospects in the Memorial Cup.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

So Eric Duhatschek writes an article about the Penguins and includes a trade rumour about Crosby involving Montreal.

Does anyone here actually expect to read an article where Crosby who is still under contract says, “Yah I really hope Pittsburgh trades me there, they have always been my favourite team!”

Don’t forget this is the same Duhatschek who claims people haven’t been talking about Crosby potentially being a UFA next year. ahhh sorry Eric, perhaps you don’t know that Hab fans are smarter than the village idiots you deal with, because we have been talking about his contract expiration for a couple years.

Why would anyone here give any credence to a Calgary based reporter who is clearly just picking hot button topics to write an article?

Sorry, Sid either wants out of Pittsburgh or he doesn’t. If he does want out, I have no doubt he would love to play in Montreal, the kid has done nothing but deal with pressure since he was 13 years old and comparisons to Gretzky began.

None of us will ever know his intention until he wants he it known. I find it intriguing his agent even considered for a minute the GM role here though….

• naweed235 says:

Suppose it actually had some truth to it… that trade could potentially kill the Habs… I am not saying Crosby is anywhere near done, but realistically speaking, the return that Pits. would ask for him is too high risk… I get a feeling he is one solid hit away from hangin’em up for good… it was evident to me that after his collision with Malkin, he wasn’t the same in the Phily series…

4. frontenac1 says:

Used to love going to the Toe Blake Tavern on Ste.Catherine st. All the historic photos on the wall and the Rib Steaks for $2.40.A part of me died when they tore it down for “Les Fobourges”!

• Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like a great memory front. Whats that song from the 70’s? They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

———————————–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I remember @ 11 or 12 years old, on a classic Montreal winter night (in those dayz, April was still winter :) ), after a Sea Cadets meeting in HMCS Donnacona, downtown, walking up Ste. Catherine Street (rue Ste. Catherine ? :) ), during a Weeds/Habs’ Stanley Cup Final game, looking furtively into every store front with a TV, finally reaching The Texan, at the Forum, entering the tavern timidly, amid the clinking draft glasses, sitting at a round table with men 3, 4, 5 or 6, 7 times My age, shrieking with the inebriated older ‘role models’ watching a flickering B & W TV high up on the wall as Boom Boom scored the final goal for Our Habs 4th straight, and 11th overall (?) Stanley Cup
      …can’t do dat anymore ! :)

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• MannyR says:

Had my first beer at Toe Blake’s, then the Stanley, and after the Mansfield!

5. commandant says:

Niagara is up 2-1 on london after the first period.

Jarred Tinordi has the London goal, he’s been on quite the scoring run (for him anyway) in the OHL playoffs. Really surprising.

6. Strummer says:

Vigneault and Quenneville could be avaiable.

Bergevin was Quenneville’s go-to guy when he was having issues with Hawk management.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• neumann103 says:

Yes, these have been my hopes. Vigneault is the only one of the retreads I would really welcome back and Quenneville seems tailor made.

Am I correct that he is Franco Ontarian, and grew up with French spoken in the home but probably has not used it much?

“Et le but!”

• LizardKing12 says:

Yeah that seems to be the story with Quenneville. He can say a few words but can’t hold up a conversation. Growing up in a french household should make it easier for him to pick it up again.

7. Stormin says:

If we could get permission to talk to Toe Blake, he would be my first choice for coach

8. Dr.Rex says:

Has any coaching candidates other then Crawford been confirmed for an interview?

9. aj says:

Speaking of Tortellini, I think this dude should lighten up a bit. What is he trying to prove to the media by dodging lengthy questions anyway?

If he doesn’t want to answer them, then he should just simply say he’s not going to answer any questions, plane and simple. It doesn’t have to be complicated me thinks ;)

• Habfan10912 says:

AJ if I’m not mistaken Torts was employed by TSN before taking the Ranger job. You would think he’d be a tad more sensitive to them, huh?

———————————–

• aj says:

Maybe. But if he would’ve been employed in NBC instead of TSN (at that time), its going to be a different story and I’m sure he ain’t going sensitive to either to Bob Mckenzie nor with Pierre McGuire.

10. aj says:

@ HabFanSince72:

Maybe we could ask Geoff Molson to create his own version of “Crosby’s Tears” drink like what they did down in Philly:

• Habsolutely says:

Why? so we could be pathetic shmucks like Philly fans? You wanna see someone cry? Watch Giroux when he doesn’t get his way.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’ll be happy when they sell Dieu Du Ciel at the Bell Ctr – at market price.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

11. frontenac1 says:

Thought the “Rocket” was a great movie! That Cherry movie, not so much. Maybe because the Rocket was my favourite player of all time! Thought they captured the look and feel of the times in Mtl. really well.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

From that Golbe article on a potential Crosby trade:

“But Crosby wasn’t particularly well treated by fans at the Bell Centre during the Canadiens’ playoff series win over the Penguins in 2010, and his affection for that team has allegedly waned.”

When did we become such a**holes?

Because it’s undeniable. A lot of our fans are a**holes.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

Crosby was booed during that series because he was bitching and whining to the refs every shift. He acted like a brat and the fans treated him like one.

• aj says:

Can’t blame Torts and LaToillet for whining against a whinner like Sid the Kid, lol!

• Habsolutely says:

When you say whining, do you mean like going on the internet and whining about a guy who plays professional hockey? Cause you look like more of a whiner than Sid. You also strike me as about 12 years old.

• otter649 says:

I remember in that series Gill broke Crosby’s stick in a one on one battle near the end of a period – The ref did not see the play and missed it but Crosby complained to the offical & Gill got a pentalty when Crosby showed the broken stick……

• HabFanSince72 says:

I hate booing the other team’s players. Except Bruins.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Are you really being serious about this? Now we have to get on bended knee for opposition best player? Tell me you are being yourself and dicking around on this point.

• Lizardking89 says:

We don’t need Crosby anyway we have Gomez :P

Honestly though he’s damaged goods and one head shot away from retirement. I’d rather have Malkin.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Crosby knows that he would be given the keys to the city if he signs in Mtl. Imagine Crosby Cole and Pacs on the same team… 3 power forwards and NONE taking a night off.

Can u say Stanley.

13. Cal says:

CBC showing “The Rocket” tonight.
    Faked or not, it’s still hockey. ;)

What was the final score in the Team Canada game against the USA???

15. frontenac1 says:

Habs in Burlington, Ata Boy! Proud of ya! They gotta learn,This is Canada!

@frontenac, haha, I don’t blame those guys, they are passionate about the sport they love just as we are passionate about our hockey. Was fun bantering with them.

16. frontenac1 says:

Hey Shane! Did you go to Billings High?I graduated in ’71! Some wild times!

Went to the sports bar this afternoon to watch Canada Game and Washington Rangers game. They had the sound cranked on for the F.A. Cup Final, I used my pull had the sound switched to hockey…. Funny how angry 60 englishmen can get at one Canadian Kraut in the corner of the bar….

What has happened that Club Soccer has become so popular in the bars? Perhaps the fact the Leafs have been irrelevant so long that GTA Bars have lost many hockey fans in general.

• Habsolutely says:

Been awhile since I’ve been to a GTA sports bar. But god help us if the Leafs ever become respectful again, the fans will come out of the woodwork.

One of my best friends owns probably the best sports bar in the area. He is actually a Blackhawk fan, but because of his business he likes the Leafs. The view he has of the Maple Leafs ownership the past 8 years is filled with such anger. Amazing how much money the Leafs sucking has cost various businesses tied to the sport.

The Leaf fans that were at the Bar were making fun of Phaneuf worse than me and other hockey fans. Apathy has started to set in here in Southern Ontario.

• Habsolutely says:

haha, so true. I have quite a few friends from Ontario, and they feel the same. They’re like “show me some results”!!!!
          One of my closest friends from Ontario recently told me he’s sick of the Leafs and is gonna start rooting for the the Flames. I was like”Cool, but, why the Flames?” he said because he likes Iginla.

• otter649 says:

For those with Leaf friends ask them a trivia question concerning their team & see how well they know their team – Who was the last Leaf to score a playoff goal ?

Mats Sundin

Hab Fans – PK

• Strummer says:

This was the FA Cup Final- 89,000 at Wembley.
      As sporting events go this is one of the greatest.
      It was my game of choice this afternoon.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I had no pony in that race so I didn’t care, being completely honest…. I know it was a huge deal to them, but to me the NHL playoffs take precedence. Now stick Bayern Munich on May 19th versus Chelsea in the Champions League Final, and I have a rooting interest. I have never denied I am happy to live by a double standard :)

No hockey on a Saturday Night during 2nd round of Playoffs. Thanks Gary Bettman for not understanding anything to do with hockey.

Sucks!

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Remember when the playoff schedule made sense?

______________________________________________________
      Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

• Habsolutely says:

I’ve been noticing a trend the last few seasons. The sched makers for the NHL are either on LCD or are just stupid.

• Cal says:

LCD? Isn’t that “Too much LDS in the 70s” ? ;)

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

All based around weekend afternoon games on NBC I think.

• Habsolutely says:

nope. I based it on all the back to back games the Habs played all season, and it was cemented after seeing the the way they have scheduled the playoff games. The NHL is a bush league operation that any true fan with an IQ higher than that of a gnat should be ashamed of.

• Lizardking89 says:

No playoff hockey on a saturday night is totally wacko. The NHL caters to the American networks just to attract more Americans to the game. There are great hockey cities in the states but for the most part the NHL isn’t even considered one of the big 4 leagues anymore. It’s behind the NFL, NBA, MLB, college sports and on par with Nascaar, golf and UFC.

On ESPN they don’t show highlights even in the playoffs because they don’t own the rights to games anymore. Hockey is our sport and should always be on HNIC or TSN on a Saturday night.

Yup, and I also remember hockey ending in early May not June.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Too young to remember that, but in a season like this one I don’t think I’d mind it.

Did the ’93 cup end in May though? Has it only been 20 years since it really started to drag on?

• HabFanSince72 says:

He doesn’t care about Canada. When the Habs had that nice run two years ago our Saturday games were often in the afternoon.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• boing007 says:

We’ve been saying this for years and nothing has been done to change it. Which sucks even more.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

19. frontenac1 says:

Remember the Ralph Lockwood morning show? I think he was on CFOX or CKGM.”I used to be coyote ,but I’m alright NOWWWWWWW!”

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I loved Ralph Lockwood. Would listen to his show after I finished delivering the Gazettes. His material was slightly more risque between 6 and & 7 a.m. Did this routine called “Under the Covers’ where he would say a song title they would be playing that morning when the operator would yell “out under the covers”. For example, Ralph would announce “Me and You and a Dog Named Boo…under the covers!” Maybe you had to be there, but for a 12 year old it was hilarious. There was so much hilarity in his voice, hated to turn it off to go to school.

20. Stormin says:

Patron and or Jameson, Cheers and Hola

21. frontenac1 says:

Man, Saturday night and no game! Guess I”ll just have howl at the “Supermoon” tonight.Aoooooo!

22. frontenac1 says:

No Game tonight?!!!!! Uno Mas Tequila Por Vavor!!

23. commandant says:

Ugh, I can’t believe this is the only game today.

I didn’t check the schedule before, I figured we’d get St. Louis/LA or something tonight.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

I get a kick out of Holtby’s mom :)

• punkster says:

Livin’ the dream.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habstrinifan says:

Cool! Love the quick way you obviously posted thaat. Hope some MOMS including yours see it.

• Habsolutely says:

I’d tell you what I think, but the mods here won’t let me. Get back to me when McGuire gets an actual NHL job.

• Mark C says:

I must say, I did get a kick out of the McGuire poster referance.

cool. I aim to please.

• habstrinifan says:

Don’t understand the relationship between your post re MOMS and McGuire. Maybe you feel anger because some of my condemnation hit home on comments you have made on the subject and now you peevishly dont ‘wanna be my friend’ anymore.

That too is cool!

The day I feared speaking out because others would react in that fashion was somewhere around my 2nd year in kindergarten.

So despite your churlishness your obvious sentimental reaction re hockey moms was COOL.

• Habsolutely says:

whatever you say little boy. I actually found your posts quite hilarious. It was good fun watching you cry about your mancrush not getting the job. Little crybabies like you make me laugh. Let me know when you grow up little boy.

25. Clay says:

Very entertaining game! Playoff hockey at it’s finest there.

__________________________
    ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

26. frontenac1 says:

Ok! Saturday chores done,check. Margheritas made check. Fire up Cohiba check. Vive La Revolucion!!!

27. frontenac1 says:

Ville de Lery. 99% French, 1% Irish, Hey, now I know what that Occupy stuff is all about! Uh-Oh!

28. Mark C says:

Nice screen by McDo.

29. commandant says:

Mike Green did something in a playoff game?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

• ZepFan2 says:

Tell that to Hal Gill. :wink:

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Mike Green has become a passable defensive player. That hurts his point total, but I’ve been impressed with him so far in the playoffs. Maybe surprised is a better word than impressed. Mike green is playing awesome defence… by Mike Green standards.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

30. rhino514 says:

Gionta and Cole, along with Markov, are the keys to next season. If they are all healthy most of the year and productive, the team is going to have a real good year. However, that´s 3 IFs…and Markov still scares me. Didn´t Boone say he couldn´t even turn anymore when he came back?

• Habsolutely says:

I think people expected way too much from Markov. You don’t miss that much time and come back as good as new. He needs to get back into game shape. The big question with Marky will be if his knee can take the rigors of an NHL season. Thats why I think it was a mistake to sign him for so long a contract. We play Philly and Toronto and Boston all season, Markovs knee is really gonna be put to the test. But, if it heals properly and he gets back in form, he will be invaluable to the team.

• habstrinifan says:

I think you may want to add as a key some sort of ‘standout defense’ from a pick-up or graduation of a prospect.

There’s gotta be a better defensive effort to correct the 3rd period lossess by one goal.

31. frontenac1 says:

I grew up on the other side of Lac St.Louis, she gives me the gears for being a hick!

• Shane1313 says:

Chategueay?
      The worst is when I talk to my buddy in TMR and he goes, “you gotta drive back to your farm eh”…come on lol, its not that far. Then I meet people from pointe-aux-trembles…and I’ve never heard of that in my life lol

• Stormin says:

Chateauguay to Kingston and beautiful and fun princess street, my brother coached at RMC, so i have spent some time in Kingston love the summer activity in the surrounding area.

32. Sean Bonjovi says:

Hey Stormin!

“One thing many people do not know about this kid , he was projected to be drafted ahead of Nathan MacKinnon in the QMJHL draft.”
    :)! I’m gonna save this quote.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    – Sean Bonjovi

33. Habsolutely says:

Rags dodged a bullet there.

34. commandant says:

Bickel is hooking Knuble and pulling him down.

I don’t think the puck went in though.

35. Strummer says:

Can we maybe finish this in regulation?
    by Mike Boone 2:20 PM

I’m sure NBC is with you Mike.

“Gentlemen- start your horses!”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

36. Shane1313 says:

Man, I love the U.S team

37. ZepFan2 says:

Canada loses in OT. :sad:

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

38. BKAK72 says:

I hope one of the first press conferences of next year’s season begins as follows: “The Montreal Canadiens are committed to winning and will choose to rebuild the roster over the next three years through the NHL draft.” That then is code for ‘tank’ and build up the arsenal with high-end draft picks that compliment our own basement dwelling status.

Why this strategy? Quite frankly the HABS have a core group of good/very good players like PRICE, PK SUBBAN, MARKOV, MAX PAC, COLE and PLEKS with heart of a lion given to DESHARNAIS.

This just isn’t enough.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• Shane1313 says:

In your opinion.
      There is nothing saying that we can’t commit to the long term, draft properly and compete at the same time. The whole re-build is overdone. It’s been forever in Edmonton

• Habsolutely says:

Gionta is a huge part of that core, whether the haters want to admit it or not. The guy has been a great hab. I wonder if Cole has an injury plagued upcoming season will the haters bail on him like they did Gionta? If so, they are truly pathetic.

• Shane1313 says:

Ya whether people like to admit or not Gionta’s consisten 25-30 goals makes a huge difference and he brings much more too.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, losing him for most of the season was a huge blow. You simply don’t replace that many goals especially on a team that doesn’t score all that much. And he gives a solid effort every time he’s out there on the ice like Cole.

• Habsolutely says:

So true. Cole and Gionta are my two favorite current habs. I just love the way they work their butts off and lead by example.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Marc Bergevin already poooh’d pooh’d that idea the idea of a complete rebuild. I know he used the word “rebatir” in french and corrected it to “batir” or is it the other way around… someone with better french could chime in. But essentially he made a point of saying he isnt looking at it as a ‘tank’ and rebuild…. not his words mind you.

Boumeester is softer on the puck than Yannik Weber

40. Strummer says:

Chelsea beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

41. Shane1313 says:

Gotta love Pac on the first line. Pac/Ryan/Stastny – sick
    Phaneuf sucks, still, I feel like no-one ever realized that
    Alright I’m calling Sharp with the OT winner

Does anyone know what the OT rules in round robin games?

43. commandant says:

Duncan Keith… Huge Goal.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Don’t have TSN so can’t watch the game, but… Canada letting in so many goals is rather disappointing. Looking at CAN’s roster, they have more than enough firepower… but the D is horrible and a third of it is composed of over-rated Phaneuf and Schenn, both not known for their skating abilities and members of a historical collapse.

• commandant says:

Thats what you get when Dave Nonis has input on the roster.

You might be able to make a case for Phaneuf. Heck I probably think he deserves to be there even if he’s a hated leaf.

But Luke Schenn? Give me a break. What a self-serving B/S pick.

Ryan Murray also shouldn’t be there. I know he’s a great prospect, but come on, give me a break here. Self serving by Kevin Lowe to take him.

I understand these guys are doing this part-time and are full time for their big clubs, but there needs to be more about putting the best team possible for Canada.

And yes I know some people turned down invites, but I find it hard to believe that Schenn and Murray were the best they could get.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s so much as Team Canada as Team Leafs and Oilers. Not arguing with Brent Sutter’s track record at the junior international level, but it seems like Lowe wants to audition him as coach and get a better look at Murray. The almost automatic inclusion of Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall is also indicative of this (yes, Hall is injured and isn’t on the team, but he would have if he were healthy; and as great as Nugent-Hopkins will be, there were better options for centres available, I think). And, of course, there are the aforementioned Schenn and Phanuef coming off their worst season yet, members of the D of a team that haven’t made the playoffs in 7 years and somehow managed to choke even more this year than any previous year.

• commandant says:

I don’t have a huge problem with Nuge or Eberle. Nuge had 52 pts in 62 games, which is really good and Eberle had 34 goals 76 pts. Both those guys are deserving.

Again, Phaneuf I can’t argue too much with, we don’t know who Turned Canada down.

But there are some guys that stick out like sore thumbs… Schenn and Murray among them.

44. Stormin says:

USA Canada 4-4 great finish

Ward is useless, and whose brilliant idea was it to have Sutter coach team Canada?

• Strummer says:

Kevin Lowe’s I believe

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jedimyrmidon says:

Seems like this team is designed with the Oilers in mind – getting a better look at Murray, and several young players like Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle (no complaints about Eberle as he is clutch and produced well this year), coach is Brent Sutter.

• Strummer says:

Oilers are perennially the first team eliminated from post-season play so it stands to reason.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habsolutely says:

With Ward, Lou, and Fleury stinking it up lately, Price can take his destiny into his own hands and play great this season and play his way ahead of those guys for the Olympics.

Whats with the absolutely terrible camera angle in the Canada game?

• jedimyrmidon says:

If Mike Smith can perform to the same level he has this season or not even as good, but to close to it, he could become Canada’s #1.

Edit: replied to the wrong post.

47. frontenac1 says:

You’re right Shane,my wife says the same thing!

• Stormin says:

If i was to say the only people to come from Pointe Claire are hockey players, swimmers and Brats/Snobs , i would have to assume your wife was a hockey player or a swimmer.

LOL Cheers and Hola

48. Stormin says:

Kane ties it up for Team Canada, Evander that is

49. frontenac1 says:

I agree! Get the best players wherever they are from but if you are going to take a chance on a kid,go local!The team owes it to kids in the community to be given a shot.Funny,Cherry has been saying the samething in Leafland.

50. commandant says:

Caps gotta pick it up. They can’t afford a loss headed back to New York.

Go Caps Go.

One more spot in the draft for Nashville’s pick if the Caps can upset the Rags.

51. habsfanforever7631 says:

Has the HIO pole ever been so 1 sided?

52. otter649 says:

Does Price play like Holtby or does Holtby play like Price – Quite similar in their styles. Both goalies have been taught by ex-Caps goalie Olaf Kolzig as Price played for Kolzig’s junior team during The NHL lockout & Kolzig still involved with Washington…..

53. Stormin says:

Damn Stock had to talk

54. aj says:

My selection for Bergevin to consider as possible candidates for the Head-coaching position:

[a] Patrick Roy
    [b] Bob Hartley
    [c] Marc Crawford

Other than that, I don’t think bringing back either Alain Vigneault, Guy Carbboneau, or Michel Therrien will help the team. They had their time, they did not helped the team bring back the cup and it won’t do any justice at all.

Other than that,
    Interesting Article from the globe and mail:

– I did heard a while back from TSN 990 with Tony Marinaro and Normand Flynn about this topic on the Pittsburgh lineup. I agree with Flynn that if the majority of a better trade to boost up the 2nd line, it would be to trade Tomas Plekanec and/or include the 3 pick at the first round (possibly Grigorenko) in exchange for Jordan Staal. That would be a long shot and Marinaro disagreed with that idea. However, if we’re going to look at the current lineup of the Montreal Canadiens, it really is a donut team.

If the Habs need an elite Centre at the 2nd line, my choices would be Either Jordan Staal or possibly a longshot trade w/ the Senators in exchange for Mark Stone. Although Stone is a RW with the Sens, he’s a natural Centre just by watching him play at the World Juniors last yr.

Sidney Crosby coming here won’t work in my opinion. His career is too volatile and realistically, its too risky for him to be a hockey player (a concussion, a neck injury, a yr break spells ‘liability’ to most teams). Just by watching him play the last 2 games with the flyers in the first round, you can’t tell whether ‘the kid’ is in the zone or just getting dozed from all the bumps and forechecks he received. This guy needs to get his head (and neck) straightened if he wants to survive in the NHL.

Speaking of other trades, I think its also time for the Habs to shop Brian Gionta. If this team is going to get some size, grit, scoring, strong forechecking and defence, they need to have a compromise by waiving both Pleks and Gio’s NTC and pull off some good acquisitions.

• Clay says:

My selection is whoever is best for the job, regardless of language.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Shane1313 says:

Just read that article, very interesting. I’ve always had the upmost respect for Crosby. Do you guys think that what he wrote “since the fans didn’t treat hime nice, Crosby’s affection for the team has waned”….I really doubt that, I think that’s just the writer saying that. I wouldn’t oppose the idea of possibly getting the best player in the world.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Vigneault didn’t win the cup with the Habs it’s true. Check out the roster he was working with. Sergei Zholtok? Martin Rucinsky?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• rhino514 says:

Give Pleks two decent wingers all year long and he will get seventy points, guaranteed.
      Take a look at the stats for this year and let me know how many centres in the league got over seventy points.
      Pleks is as good as most and much better defensively than most.
      There are probably less than half a dozen centres in the league who have elite-like stats, and you don´t need one to win.
      The bruins won last year with Bergeron. A good centre, but can you say he is clearly better than Pleks? Give Pleks decent linemates next season, and then compare them…
      P.S. Bergeron is not a “big” centre either that everyone says you need…he´s under 200lbs and has maybe only 3 or 4 lbs on Pleks

• Shane1313 says:

Definetely true for Pleks..
        And same for Vigneault, the guy has experienced a lot by now, things would be different!

• Strummer says:

i’ve been saying this all season bro’

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Shane1313 says:

You’ve been right all season!
          It’s honestly the people who occasionally watch a game that don’t quite get the brilliance of Pleks. But when you see him crippled with White and Blunden(no offense…love Whitey!) You know that with some better finishers…he’s golden.

• boing007 says:

I liked Carbonneau’s 2007-2008 team play.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

55. frontenac1 says:

Thanks Stormin, He does sound very interesting.I will have to tell my wife as she is a “West Island Brat”from Pointe Claire!We”ll keep an eye on him at the draft.Hola!!

56. frontenac1 says:

Hey Stormin! Re/Matheson,interesting…Not familiar with this lad,do you have any background on him?Hola!

• Stormin says:

Ya I can tell you I have seen him play quite a number of times with many other top prospects from Quebec and Mid West USA throughout the years.

One thing many people do not know about this kid , he was projected to be drafted ahead of Nathan MacKinnon in the QMJHL draft. Matheson chose to go the NCAA route and Boston College. via one year in the USHL where he was coached by former Hab Jim Montgomery,, here is a highlight of him playing with Dubuque in the USHL with Zemgus Girgensons another 1st round pick in this years draft.

His biggest attributes are his skating stride, great skater , great shot from the point, and at 6.2-6.3 200llbs the size is impressive and he has added a physical nature to his game with the that size. He is a from Pointe claire about 20 minutes from Montreal and perfectly bilingual for the politically thinking fans.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Stormin, love the touting you’ve been doing on this guy, I’ll be sorry when he’s snatched up before we get a shot at him.

Just wanted to say that the fact that he’s a bilingual kid is cool, it’s also a good reflection of Québec society and what the new generation of Montrealers are like, they all talk in a mishmash of French and English, and I think it’s really exciting to see how far we’ve come since when I was a kid in the seventies.

How about we don’t look at him being bilingual as not a nod to the “politically thinking fans”, but as a great opportunity to scoop up a local kid who younger boys will identify with, and which will strengthen the bonds between our team and our next generation. It doesn’t need to be looked at in a crassly political or commercial way. The attachment the fans have for their team is a competitive advantage the Canadiens have, we need to encourage that and build on it.

Drafting Mike Matheson or other local kids who are a reflection of who we are is a shrewd move in terms of building the organization. Personally, there were a few years when I didn’t have time or the opportunity to follow hockey as much as I’d like, but I’d catch a game once in a while and see Andrea Dackell and Radek Bonk in a bleu blanc rouge and it wasn’t inspiring. I didn’t recognize my team, didn’t understand why we were recycling rejects from other teams on our roster. In that case, we might as well stock up on the Mike Mathesons and the Mathieu Darches, who will fight and bleed for our team.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

I agree whole heartily,

I just hate when we hear that the Habs need more French players who understand the Montreal Habs History and the fervor the fans feel and cheer for the team. I will be very happy with hearing we need more Quebec born players or Franco Canadians, but let us not forget the English speaking Quebec born players.

I am Bilingual and a proud English/French/Irish Canadian, Quebecois/ USA/ North American etcc….

57. Miltie01 says:

Love this anthem singer……nothing fancy, just sings the damned song…….the way it was meant to be sung.

58. Stormin says:

Oh yeah it is Cinco de Mayo time to break out the Patron,

59. Kristopher7 says:

Getting sick of these damn afternoon games. Being a student and working weekends sucks. Play the games in the evenings! :(

60. punkster says:

2012 draft? I think we should take the dark horse, Robbie Turcotte. Maybe Gomez could help him with his shot.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Clay says:

I think that doesn’t go far enough, so let’s take it a step further – let’s just re-draft Gomez, and sign him to another 5 year deal. You know, kind of like a married couple renewing their vows and reaffirming their commitment to each other.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

61. B says:

Those big advertising stickers on the front of team Canada’s helmets really look cheesy. What’s next, big Imodium stickers across their butts? Yeesh!

62. The Dude says:

I wonder if Kovalev would make a good offensive coach,me thinks so.

63. Stormin says:

As much as we all seem to be on board with selecting Alex Galchenyuk with our number #3 pick, I am not too sure he will be available at that selection after the NHL combines take place and his health can be verified

Some have mentioned Matthew Dumba, or Ryan Murray as a consolation prize, as far as Dumba goes I can tell you from talking with Mike Matheson another top prospect in this years draft . Matheson is extremely impressed with Dumba whom he played with at the Ivan Hlinka in which Team Canada won gold and Dumba was the leader and Captain of the Team.

Matheson told me after playing with Dumba it was one of the reasons he decided to add 20 pounds of muscle to his frame. Dumba is the complete package, especially when it comes to loving the physical part of the game.

That said I still think we should pick Galchenyuk, but I have a little feeling that Alex will be gone when Les Habitants go to select at #3, I think it will be a more active draft day than in past years.

We can all assume Nail Yakupov will be the top pick, to either Edmonton or whoever they trade down with. Even though rumors persist Columbus will take Forsberg at #2 , after the NHL combines and Galchenyuk’s health is given the complete OK, Galchenyuk will most likely go to Columbus at #2, Columbus will be willing to take a chance on this Russian even with their bad history as Galchenyuk is American, born in the great State of Wisconsin. and has all the hard work attributes and heart for whatever reason we seem to mostly attach to North American skaters.

• Habsolutely says:

There’s is no way Dumba gets picked before Grigorenko, no way.

• Stormin says:

You might be very surprised to see how far Grigorenko drops on draft day

• Habsolutely says:

If you think the habs are gonna take a D-man with their pick, then I think you’re the one who’s gonna be surprised.

• Stormin says:

I did not say they were , I was responding to an earlier thread about someone asking about Dumba, I am all in favor of the Habs selecting Galchenyuk if available and then a D man hopefully Mike Matheson with their second pick,,,in my opinion the best skating D man and maybe the steal of the draft at #33 if he falls to us their.

• Habsolutely says:

I’m fine with either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko. I think both will pay dividends. I think Grigorenko is getting a bit of a bad rap. But it will be exciting to see how it unfolds huh? This will be me on draft day.

• ABHabsfan says:

I think you have a pretty accurate view there. But let me throw this out: I think Edm will take Ryan Murray, can’t pass up on that guy for a club with a ton of offensive talent and virtually no decent d-men. Murray helps immediately. CBJ takes Galchenyuk because he is less Russian and a centre; Yak falls to the Habs at 3rd. I don’t think this is very far-fetched but more likely is what you said and Edm trades down, maybe with Isles, and gets extra pick(s) and still gets Murray at 4-6.
      On a different topic; anyone know why T. Sequin is not with Team Canada? I would have thought he would be an easy selection.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Stormin says:

That is a plausible scenario of Yak falling to the Habs, but quite a few things would have to happen for that to take place. Edmonton in particular would have to be so impressed with Murray that they do not want to risk trading down to get him, Yakupov could scare Columbus. the scenarios are endless but make for very interesting debate and chat.

64. Strummer says:

CBC on air personnel who are bad or add nothing to the broadcast:

Bob Cole
    Cassie Campbell Hyphen
    Kevin Weekes
    Ron McLean
    Don Cherry
    Glen Healey
    Mike Milbury (he still there?)
    PJ Stock
    Gary Galley
    Jim Hughson
    The other ex-goalie in the broadcast booth- forget his name

Other than Friedman and Hrudey it doeasn’t leave much

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

65. Marc10 says:

I like Ted Leonis’ blog, Ted’s Take’… Google it and check out his bucket list.

Based on that… Go Caps!

66. frontenac1 says:

I like Emerick too,Cole is amusing however.

67. frontenac1 says:

Me thinks”Ice Hockey”is way down the list of viewing options for the Yanks.

• Stormin says:

From talking with my many American friends they actually find Curling a more attractive viewing sport, but will watch just about anything including bumper shining if it is an Olympic event with an American participant.

68. boing007 says:

Galchenyuk is a big dynamic centre. He’s a very fast skater, has outstanding hands and can stick handle in a phone booth, an excellent wrist shot, good size and grit, and is committed to playing a strong 2 way game. We really can’t say enough about this kid’s hands and stickhandling ability, it is legitimately among the best we’ve ever seen from an 18 year old prospect, his hands are just outstanding. He’s known as a gym rat and is known to show a well above average commitment to his training, and to improving going forward. His dedication will certainly serve him well going forward.

Sounds good to me.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• commandant says:

That sounds familiar. LOL

To go further on this kid’s hands. He can make plays out there I’ve only seen out of a few guys, like Alex Kovalev in his training video. Very special.

Thanks.

• boing007 says:

That’s what I saw as well. Fast hands, quick shot. Not much hesitation because he’s already in the best position to shoot. Imagine a Kovalev clone who plays all out all the time. That would be super.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Dr.Rex says:

Clearly Galchenyuk is the guy for us………..BUt lets not toot his horn too much or he may end up going before our pick.

• Stormin says:

We can all assume Nail Yakupov will be the top pick, to either Edmonton or whoever they trade down with. Even though rumors persist Columbus will take Forsberg at #2 , after the NHL combines and Galchenyuk’s health is given the complete OK, Galchenyuk will most likely go to Columbus at #2, Columbus will be willing to take a chance on this Russian even with their bad history as Galchenyuk is American, born in the great State of Wisconsin. and has all the hard work attributes we mostly seem to attach to North American skaters.

• Captain aHab says:

Great minds think alike! ;-D

The other option is to draft Murray and trade Pleks plus a prospect and a pick for a big C.

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Captain aHab says:

I think this is what will happen:

Edmonton will trade their pick for a solid d-man and whoever gets their pick will draft Yakupov

Columbus will either choose Galchenyuk or trade their pick to a team who will choose him.

We will then be left with picking one of Forsberg, Grigorenko or Ryan Murray. First huge decision for Timmins under the new regime. Murray is likely the safest of the three but we have been drafting d-men out the yazoo. Grigorenko could be a great player or AKoz 2.0 and Forsberg is still not a certain pick by any stretch. Right now, I think that Timmins is hoping that Galchenyuk falls to 3rd. Unless the knee injury scares the crap out of them.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• otter649 says:

Edmonton may take Ryan Murray as Kevin Lowe organizer of Team Canada this spring invited Murray to Sweden/Finland good way to scout him as he deals with the adult competition…….

• Stormin says:

They will not take Ryan Murray with the #1 Pick no way, i should not say no way , they may get so impressed with him they do not want to risk trading down for fear of losing him , so their is a chance, draft day will be very interesting for sure.

• Stormin says:

Captain , i believe like you it will be a very active draft day , if not before, with teams moving up and down in the selection process, Montreal just might be one of those teams looking to move up or down as well.

• ABHabsfan says:

I hope this doesn’t come as a great surprise to anyone here, but I’m not sure GMs around the NHL put a lot of stock in what is posted on HIO. Sorry if I’m being Negative Nelly

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

69. boing007 says:

Is NBC allergic to evening hockey games?

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

70. habstrinifan says:

Haven’t been able to watch much hockey over the last few days … doing my catching up through this board. Thks to Boone etc for the update pictures of Max Pac and Plekanec in the WHC.

Max Pac has started with a tear… goal and 2 assists.

I would love to see Lars Eller excel in this tournament so that he gets a burst of confidence for the 2012-2013 season.

Trini so true
      during the year when I would miss the games going over Boone’s live blog and the msg board was such a great way to recap the game

71. The Dude says:

What’s with all the racism about Russians etc?Y our not going to be to happy with all the new French athletes that will be joining the Habs in the next couple of years if that’s the case,lol. But I think in the end winning the cup with flying frenchmen is way better than ending dead last with an Anglo line -up,eh?Go Habatant tri-colour Go!

• Strummer says:

Russians aren’t a race they’re a nationality.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• ZepFan2 says:

Start naming some of these “French” athletes you talk about. If not, you’re just a mouth flapper.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• The Dude says:

Ask the New G.M. in the next couple of years and watch our team flapper to the top of our division with some home grown Franco power as well as ethnic Quebecois athlete’s in the mix.Whats your issue with this anyways? Did you self deport yourself to Ontario a couple years back and just a bitter fellow? Taberwit,eh!

• ZepFan2 says:

So, as I guessed, you’ve got nothing.

Nothing wrong with some homegrown talent. The problem is, you think the Habs are going to be the Nordiques and even the Nordiques weren’t all Francophone.

My issue is you spouting off crap like you know something. Like me for instance. I live 15 minutes from Centre Bell. Wrong again, eh!

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• boing007 says:

Gee, I didn’t know that home grown Franco power is the ultimate power that a hockey team could hope to have. Guess that’s why the Habs finished last this year.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

72. Strummer says:

No FA Cup blog?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

73. FanCritic says:

I get a kick outta some of you people. you actually think The predators lost because Trotz kept Radulov and Kostitsyn out of the line up two guys that come to play when they feel like it. you’re all wrong. you gotta watch more hockey. the reason the predators lost was because the coyotes kept guys like, Erat, Legwand, Fisher and Hornquist off the scoreboard. give credit where credit is due to the Coyotes and don’t make Kostitsyn and Radulov look so great. Kudo’s to the predators management for the actions they had taken….

• Strummer says:

Doan knocking Skillsie off the puck for the only goal was a MAJOR contributing factor

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

74. commandant says:

Pretty much a must win for Washington.

How many minutes do they give Ovechkin?