Liveblog: Bruins stay alive with OT win

Krejci

Tyler Seguin scores in overtime to secure a 4-3 wiun and send the series back to Boston for Game 7.
Washington fans may have seen their last game of the season, but it was a good one.

Earlier on Sunday afternoon:

First shift of the game: Claude Giroux belts Sidney Crosby.
Thirty-two seconds in, Giroux scores.
The Flyers never looked back.
Ilya Bryzgalov was solid, and Marc-André Fleury was weak.
The Flyers blocked 39 shots – six each by Matt Carle, Andreas Lilja and Braydon Coburn.
They’re going to be a tough out in the Eastern Conference.

The Stanley Cup champions (pause while 90 per cent of the Commentariat expectorate) face elimination in Washington in Game 6, beginning at 3 (CBC).

The tripleheader concludes in Vancouver, where the Canucks and Kings play Game 5 at 8 (CBC).

1. 69HABS says:

Lucky Timmy, two posts this period!

2. Bob_Sacamano says:

Nice, the real Ovechkin and the real Thomas in one play!

3. Adidess says:

Thomas leaking

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

4. habsfan0 says:

If this goes to a Game 7, Boston has ALL the experience in that area,as we all know. The Caps better win it today.

5. habsfanforever7631 says:

Yaaaaaaaa!

6. punkster says:

FINALLY!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. commandant says:

OVY OVY OVY!

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

8. 69HABS says:

Good ole Timmy Softie

9. Propwash says:

OV!!!!!!!!!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

10. ZepFan2 says:

YESSSSSS!!!

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

11. 69HABS says:

That goal looks like many that were scored on Montreal this season …

12. punkster says:

So…many…chances…missed.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

13. hansolo says:

Tough to blame that on Semin. His shot was blocked, he came back and took care of his man. It was his team-mate who didn’t keep up with Andrew F. Ference.

Uh oh, don’t like the Caps chance back in Boston.

15. Propwash says:

Damn…

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

16. Stormin says:

From Boone’s Blog
    Such a tense game I love it
    so many guys are due
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

17. punkster says:

How many chances is Ovi gonna miss?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. Stormin says:

Pouliot’s flapjack dumb… penalty alarm just went off again,
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

19. hansolo says:

“Caps have three brilliant offensive talents and all the team does is dump, chase and grind.”

Remind anyone of a Habs coach? I guess grinders know how to coach grind, but not always skill.

20. 69HABS says:

I see somethings never change. – Tim Thomas is still lucker that great!

21. H.Upmann says:

If the Bruins lose, their post game shower will undoubtedly involve shower caps and Semin

22. The Jackal says:

I can’t stand the Bruins, I hope Caps win it today, it would ruin my exam tomorrow if the Bruins win today :*(

23. Stormin says:

Seems Boone’s keyboard is sticking

______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

What does it say about the Bruins depth with Horton gone that to open the period with 4 on 3 they are playing Methusala Rolston on their powerplay.

25. Stormin says:

Timmy Thomas complains to the Ref about Semin in his crease

Chara over hears complaint and says no worries Timmy i will take care of that Semin in your crease.
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

26. HabFab says:

For all those joking about Semin, be warned this could be you!!!!

27. Stormin says:

Saint John rolls on 5-2 win over Chicoutimi, Lead Conference final 2-0,
    10-0 overall in QMJHL playoffs this year
    Nathan Beaulieu 1 assist and a plus 2

______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

Oh love how Mclean mentions over and over how he wears the same Tblade skate. Get over it bud you are and never were an NHL player and you ref amateur hockey. The guy is so full of himself.

Sorry but I have a real problem with that egotistical lap handler for Cherry.

• Habfan10912 says:

Us war loving Americans get Milbury. :)

———————————–

Guessing you saw my response earlier Jim. Yah not sure you are any better off with that shoe swinging lunatic.

At least you aren’t having to fight your remote control today. :)

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes saw your response. Thanks. Believe me, I understand why some feel about the US. If I ever meet the man I’ll shake his hand and buy him a drink. Very kind of you to defend though. You get two drinks! And a hug!

———————————–

Nope, I owe you still, you were too kind on your last visit my way my friend. I am already looking forward to the next Summit!

• HabFab says:

We have Don Cherry, so can’t say much up here buddy!

• Rob D says:

I hate Maclean because he lets Cherry walk all over him and then shows he actually has an ability to debate with the likes of Bettman (although I don’t think he fares all that well against the NY lawyer but at least tries)

Then it’s the endless pimping for Crosby, Brad Richards and whomever is getting hot for the Leafs that week. But that’s just CBC policy and he’s nothing if not a good follower.

• RGM says:

No apologies required. Given Cherry’s increasing senility I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he writes Don’s scripts.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

29. Habsolutely says:

Looks like PJ needs his depends changed, he’s throwing a tantrum.

• RGM says:

Bahaha I just posted this on Twitter a couple minutes ago:
      “@hockeynight Can someone tell PJ Stock to change his Depends? If this were Smell-o-Vision I’d be able to smell the pissy pants though the TV”

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

30. ZepFan2 says:

I see Peverly and Marchand are trying out for the Olympic diving team.

So far, so good.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

31. Propwash says:

Gonna be an interesting 3rd.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

32. RGM says:

Is there a bigger maggot than Marchand?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

33. boing007 says:

Now I remember who Marchand reminds me of: Rat Fink.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

34. Adidess says:

Ridiculous call. the player is in the process of falling down before the stick gets near him

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

35. commandant says:

Marchand stayed down trying to draw a penalty, and it helped cost his team a goal.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

36. gK_HabsFan says:

Dont get the Ovi hate. Everytime he is on the ice he is facing Chara and Seidenburg. Plus he’s getting like 16 minutes of ice per game.

I’m not saying he’s been amazing, but you have to look at it in persepctive.

Also, I think he’s learning to play a more team game, and he’s accepted.

37. NLhabsfan says:

What an f… Joke!!!!!

38. otter649 says:

Marchand must know by now the pool is frozen that’s why he got a little boo boo on his lip after his dive….lol

39. Propwash says:

Nice dive there Brad

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

40. Adidess says:

What a dish by Backstrom!

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

41. ZepFan2 says:

A 10 for that Marchand dive.

Excellent spin motion and head cradle afterwards. Splendid!

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

42. NLhabsfan says:

Wow what third we have coming up!!!!

43. Stormin says:

yes right after a splendid Marchand dive
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

44. Hey Gerald.

Very busy, the business took off the last three months, and when the Canadiens became sellers I said I have more important things to do (family and work).

Hoping to get see you a few you this summer. I’m working my way to PEI in Juy. Packing the kids up as soon as school is out and spending the summer at the family resort.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

45. Adidess says:

This one is too easy. Semin involved in a too many men.

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

46. Stormin says:

Overheard Hunter yelling behind Capital’s bench
    Ovechkin Laich Semen

______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

47. ZepFan2 says:

Semin splattered along the boards.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

48. The Jackal says:

The NHL scheduling is so ridiculous – a back-to-back in the playoffs…. Wtf?

49. Rob D says:

One thing this series has shown for me…the Bruins aren’t winning the Cup. So that’s really cool. With the Penguins out, that leaves only the need for the Canucks to lose and I’ll be happy.Can’t stand any of those (very talented) teams.

50. frontenac1 says:

Mike Weir Blah Blah Blah! Stick a fork in him,He’s Done!

Great point, all he did was win as many PGA tour events as any other Canadian and was the first Canadian born player to win a major.

I have no doubts his best playing days are behind him, but certainly don’t understand you trivializing his career as such.

Perhaps you haven’t broken 100 in eighteen holes yet yourself.

• Habsolutely says:

Same way I feel about Phil and Greg Norman. I think it’s ignorant to trivialize their great careers by calling them chokers.

Greg should have more than 2 majors to his name given how great a player he was. I loved Greg as a player, but i am not sure his focus was always on golf. Phil has made up for alot, but should have 1 or 2 US Opens under his belt by now.

Phil is as talented a golfer as there has ever been, I don’t mind the guy, but with some better shot selection he could of been right with Tiger.

Just my opinion is all.

• Habsolutely says:

Phil is ranked third on the “all-time money list”of tournament prize money won. I’d say he’s done pretty good for himself. I used to be a Weir fan, he was young, talented, Canadian, I had high hopes for him. Like I said, I just got fed up watching him choke all the time.

Anybody else notice the lady behind Ovechkin in the penalty box when he went in eating at the food trough? Classic video of a “slender” lady enjoying the buffet.

• punkster says:

It’s come to this, has it? More interesting action in the stands than on the ice?

Just out of interest, how many more times will Ovi try that one man team rush today with nothing to show for it?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

It is amazing how less effective Ovi has become. Pavel Bure even with his bad knee still seemed effective until he had to retire. Ovechkin seems like a shell of his old self already. Has to be disconcerting to Ted Leonsis.

• Considering the organization traded all their talent and finshed next to dead last for OV , you’d think the Caps would have 5 Cups by now :lol:

Tanking is for losers! (never gets old) :lol:

They Call Me Shane
          “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
          Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

Hey man, long time no see! How you doing Shane? I see your weather has been up and down lately. How did the kids hockey season end?

52. Adidess says:

Boone giving kudos to Semin. Has he done jack so far?

53. boing007 says:

Have you forgotten, Boone? Galchenyuk was Born in the U.S.A.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Details details, let the stereotyping continue….

Good point Boing007

• Habfan10912 says:

God knows, us Americans aren’t lazy or nothing. :)

———————————–

Yah no doubt we North Americans have proven there is no lazy in us…. I noticed that at the beach in Mexico last week, no Canadians or Americans ever spent too much time at the buffet!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ummm buffets. But you have to get up and get the food yourself, right? That’s not lazy. lol

———————————–

• Mr. Biter says:

Exactually. At any all enclusive resort I have never seen Canadians or Americans are ever eating or drinking to excess. Might be that my eyes are not seeing so well after numerous mid morning, afternoon and evening Libations.
            BTW anyone want to trade Price for Fluery now?

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Cape Breton says:

No, not lazy, but all yas do is start wars.

If you knew Jim whom you are responding to, you would know he would never be starting a war. I don’t think that is a fair comment on your part Cape Breton. I hate to get political here, but you can have your issue with U.S. gov’t policies, but don’t paint all the citizens with the same brush.

54. Cape Breton says:

I hate the f***** Bruins with a f***** passion. And, sadly, another hateful bunch, the f***** Flyers are goin’ all the way. Unless, maybe, St.Louis ????

55. The Jackal says:

PJ Stock’s most famous theory lately is that you gotta be prepared for anything at all times, especially the event of a surprise sphincter release.

56. RGM says:

Re: “For discussion: Should Ovechkin and Semin scare the Canadiens off Grigorenko and Galchenyuk?”

I think that Grigorenko’s playoffs disappearing act should do much more to concern the Habs than anything Ovy & Semin do or do not do in the coming days and weeks.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

57. boing007 says:

Anne Elk (Miss) had a theory as well:

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

58. The Jackal says:

I think Washington wins this one, sure they are down by a goal, but they will come out hard. Ovi is due for a goal and they are only better than yesterday with Backstrom back.

59. frontenac1 says:

Dale Hunter sort of reminds me of Columbo from the seventies.”Looks like an unmade bed” Kinda cool.

60. Adidess says:

Semin is responsible for that second one by Boston. Should stay away from the box.

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

61. boing007 says:

This is who I think of whenever I see Ron McLean.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

62. The Jackal says:

In what way is Ovi comparable to Giroux, is Giroux frustrating too? I haven’t had the chance to watch my games so I don’t know.

63. otter649 says:

Pens last three playoff seasons – 2010 & 2011 blow 3-1 series lead and lose game 7 on home ice. This year not sure what to say but it was entertaining but screwed up mine & others hockey pools due to a bunch of Pittsburg picks……

64. frontenac1 says:

Dale Hunter! Gota hand it to him,he’s got his boys playing!

65. HNS says:

Fleury is like Greg Norman where an epic choke is inevitable.

• punkster says:

Phil you mean.
      Edit…though Norman is a close second ;)
      ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habsolutely says:

neither are as bad a choker as Mike Weir.

• punkster says:

Mike has a long way to go to meet those two for choke.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habsolutely says:

Mike Weir is the ultimate choke artist. Phil and Greg’s careers speak for themselves.

• punkster says:

Please. Weir’s career couldn’t hold a candle to either Greg or Phil. He never had the opportunities to blow as many leads as those two because he was half the golfer they were.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• otter649 says:

If Weir wasn’t Canadian his name would not have been brought up as a choker……

@habsolutely, when was Mike Weir ever considered on the world stage to win majors? No doubt he has gone south, but a choker? In golf to be a choker you have to be considered world elite talent with a choke mentality, I never recall anyone saying Weirs talents should have gotten more out of his career, if anything the opposite.

Sorry bud, but I disagree.

• Habsolutely says:

If I had a nickel for everytime I’ve watched Weir choke and miss the cut, I’d be rich. And the only reason I brought up Weir is because someone is trying to tell me Greg Norman and Mickelson are chokers. Looking at the great careers of Greg and Phil, choke is not what I see, but to each his own.

• Mr. Biter says:

I actually fel sorry for Weir. But for choking don’t agree t all. In 2003 he won the Masters andOver $5M and was ranked 5 th. in the wolrd.In 2008 he was 56th and won over $3M and 2009 he was 26th and won over $2M and then he lost his stroke or got the “Yipes” on the green and been on a downward slide sine then. I don’t see choking as he also did win 8 PGA events in his career and unfortunatly all athlete’s as they get older lose part of their game.
            And as everyone knows I’m a true red white and blue Habs fan but if you want a defination of choking see Habs in 2011-12 shoot-outs.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

66. Stormin says:

Way to go Boone I think you woke up Green , he actually is looking active and engaged in the game so far.
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

67. 123456 says:

So in my hockey pool @ work I had Pittsburgh beating Detroit for the Cup. And here I thought I knew something about hockey.

68. Adidess says:

Love it when Thomas gets beat…

I just told my friend: Washington will come from behind, they will be strong on their sticks, and Semin will be huge!

69. The Jackal says:

Haha I love Boone’s way of bloggin’ – Green is terrible
    Wait… like I said, he’s great!

70. HNS says:

Good riddance. Too much of Cindy crying with Malkin there to change the diapers

71. Stormin says:

There is still plenty of room to enroll your kids in Marc Andre Fleury’s summer goaltending school
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

72. FanCritic says:

Fleury hasn’t been that good in the playoffs – neither has the guys in front of him – lots of skill not tough enough – thats where the flyers beat them – just as skilled and a whole lot tougher – as for goaltending – they’re about even – skill and toughness will always have the edge in winning – this series just proved it – weak goaltending from both teams….

73. frontenac1 says:

Go easy on Tortz! He has anger management issues and wets his pants whenever asked about his father.

74. habs001 says:

Everyone likes gorges for his shot blocking and dedication and emelin showed signs he will be an important part of the habs but the reality is if emelin and gorges are your 3 and 4 d on the team it is just not good enough to be a cup contender…they would be great 5 and 6 d man