Liveblog: Canadiens lose 3-2 to Panthers in shootout

Cole

Mikael Samuelsson scores the only goal of the third period to erase a 2-1 lead and send the game into overtime.

Canadiens had the best of the OT, four shots to Florida’s one.
On to the shootout.

DD: Outside of the post

Wolski: Goal

Plekanec: Save

Samuelsson: Save

Leblanc: Save

1. szthecatman says:

Rene Bourque is ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!

I had high hopes when we got him cuz hes a big guy and had 27 goals each of the last 2 seasons but… Wow… Was i ever wrong!

DD plays much bigger than him, Bourque doesnt even hit!

Another useless player with a contract we will be stuck with… What a shame…

2. L Elle says:

Only 5 more torture sessions left. ‘night all!

3. Bim says:

Can’t wait till season’s over to view the house cleaning. Anyone want to weigh in on whose left after this mess is over?

On L’antichambre… they are saying that between Geoffrion, Palushaj, Staubitz, White, Blunden, etc… they have 240 games and 7 goals. I don’t know if the stat is accurate but probably pretty close.

5. H.Upmann says:

@Habsolutely: If STL win the cup, PG should hope to be fired.

6. Stev.R says:

I made a $20 bet that Price would have more wins than Reimer at the beginning of the year.

7. Aybara says:

Jonathan Quick,
    Ryan Miller,
    Pekka Rinne,
    Martin Brodeur,
    Jaroslav Halak,
    Henrik Lundqvist,

Note: These are only the big names who have played a reasonable number of games. There are some outliers both up and down who rarely get a shot in the SO but have crazy numbers.

8. magictom says:

I’m watching lantichanbre what a moron stock is. I mean really. Does he really have anything intelligent or even anything of relevance to say. Idiot

9. H.Upmann says:

Im not necessarily a Halakite. But good for STL!!! Sitting atop pretty

10. HabFanSince72 says:

Wild lose in regulation.

Nobody said it would be easy.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

11. Nina76 says:

The only thing that is going to be interesting,changes, can’t wait till we are done to see what Molson is going to do with the BIG HEADS……………Gauthier,Gainey, & who will be the coach. It is the only thing that will draw Habs attention now that we are done. Boone will have alot of reporting to do something has got to be done

12. neumann103 says:

So i got off the ice off my playoff game just in time to hear the shootout on tsn radio

At least my team won …. with no loser point

“Et le but!”

13. magictom says:

I’m happy that we continue to win or go into overtime bcuz it’s all over soon and we still manage to stay in last place but shouldn’t cole get a shot in the shoot out? Maybe I’m crazy but he is our leading scorer, the example that others should emulate , and the guy that Martin said shouldn’t be on the pp. what does he have to do?

14. Bim says:

Ever notice how other teams just push Habs around. Its easy! They only do it because they know they can. That was quite sickening the other night in Philly. Please no more Russians or Europeans!

15. marino00 says:

Pacs has 10 shots during the game and they choose Pleks over him in the SO?!!?!

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…WE WON !!!!
    …Yeah !
    …great come from behind win !

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. Yay! I mean awww… I don’t know how to behave at the end of this season… Didn’t need the point for sure… ‘night all.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

I don’t know if it’s like stating the obvious but this team sucks in absolutely every possible aspect of the game.

19. joeybarrie says:

And again Carey Price loses the game for us by not scoring. I can only imagine the Price bashing that will be going on.
    Can’t win if we can’t score.
    But let the price blaming begin.

20. ffenliv says:

As ‘pleased’ as I am at not getting 2 points, if this team can’t figure out the shootout for next year, might as well not even bother.

If they’re a 9th place team next year with a brutal shootout record,t hey could be a 6th place team if they could even go 50/50.

21. 69HABS says:

WTF does RC have against Cole in the shootout?

I will dance a jig when RC is fired!

22. Nina76 says:

Did you hear thw crowd shouting”FIRE GAUTHIER” “FIRE GAUTHIER” Right on!!!!

23. Kimberly2u says:

Man I hate this stupid shoot out

24. habsfaninboston says:

How many times have we seen this movie?

At least they’re consistent.

26. Mondou6 says:

lol…what was Plekanec even aiming for?

He fired it square into the middle of the pad.

I don’t understand why we can’t win shootouts when we don’t score! Time for a new goalie, must be the answer!

28. Bim says:

Come on Panthers! One point is enough. Don’t blow a good draft. A whole season is quite enough. Habs sure suck though. Even Carey price looks uninspired tonight. The rest of the team must be rubbing off.

Is there a goalie that is easier to score on in SO than Price?

30. L Elle says:

If DD doesn’t score, we’re DOOOOOOOOOMED

31. Kim, you are prescient! The Gimmick begins…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

HIO Lexicon 101

pi·qué [pi-key, pee-; Fr. pee-key, P.K.]
    adjective
    noun
    1. a Hab hit that’s caught on, with spin around and silky smooth moves, weaving lengthwise with raised fans from their seats.
    2. Hockey: a move in which the skater steps onto the tip of the toe without bending the knee.
    3. ornamentation by means of punctuated and stippled patterns, sometimes inlaid with hard hits and telegraphed slap shots

Is it just me or is Marc Crawford being extremely kind in his views of the of Habs the last week or so. Hmmmm wonder if he wants back in coaching and sees an opportunity.

34. immortalhab says:

The shoot out … I bet that makes goalies want to kill their teams.

35. Mattyleg says:

Bleh. The gimmick.
    Dumb dumbness.
    I’d actually love to see the final game of the season go to shootouts.
    A meaningless game ended with a meaningless thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Bill says:

Some weird ice-time numbers tonight:

Louis Leblanc: 16:33
    Frederic St. Denis: 17:36
    Chris Campoli: 18:00
    Rene Bourque: 20:24

The first two are interesting because it almost looks like Cunneyworth is auditioning these players for next year or something … when he knows he won’t be back and has no reason to audition anyone for anything.

Campoli I just don’t get.

And Bourque … why in the hell is Bourque playing these minutes???

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Les Canayens says:

Showcasing him for the draft day trade.

• Bigdawg says:

I think it is actually the opposite -They are showcasing him to the coach, GM and Molsons to give him as much playing time as possible to find his grove on the CH before draft day or possibly beginning of next season. If he can’t then we will show him the door (via trade)

• Mattyleg says:

I think they said before the game that these last few games would be an opportunity to give the youngsters extra ice-time.

And recently-traded-for players who have to prove to everyone that they actually know how to play.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. immortalhab says:

Is Cole playing hurt?

pi·qué [pi-key, pee-; Fr. pee-key, P.K.]
    adjective
    noun

39. man, PK is exciting! Who were those ninkompoops that wanted him traded? Who, yeah who…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

40. H.Upmann says:

I don’t know why anyone would want to say that we should have kept JM just to make the playoffs. Do we know for sure we’d make the playoffs? I’d rather go for the draft pick. We can’t keep squeezing in only to lose to Boston or Philly. Time to build up for those kind of battles.

I think I now understand why Mike Johnson last night on the Jet Chanfeed coverage said between whistles, “Why did TSN pick up the Montreal Florida game. Montreal is last place in East and Florida is Florida. That was his quote.

• Mattyleg says:

Really?
      Ha!!
      That’s great. I guess they had to book their games at the beginning of the season, and the Habs are almost always a good bet in the Spring.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

No that was the funny part, he said they added this game last minute and he couldn’t understand why. Have to give a shoutout to Hab in Surrey for providing the feed. It was picking up all the commercial break chatter that normally never makes the air.

42. Ugh! One point for sure. At least the fans that paid ig money at the Bell Center get a little extra for their money, in time, if not quality. Kim… some people like the Gimmick

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

43. immortalhab says:

My greatest desire this year is that the Boo-Hooins don’t win the cup again. I welcome comments that reflect why they won’t.

44. HabFab says:

SCINTILLATING stop on Weiss

Yeah Danny Boone!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Mattyleg says:

Every. Single. Night. I Want. To Go. To Bed. Early.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. Kimberly2u says:

Please not another shoot out

47. Habbu says:

I like to think Julien Brisebois is watching…………….with notebook in hand.

48. L Elle says:

3P 4:10 SCINTILLATING stop on Weiss
    by Mike Boone 9:53 PM

Do I detect a note of some sarcastic hyperbole? lol

49. L Elle says:

That was off-side. The refs are helping The Tank.

50. Kimberly2u says:

I was hoping I’d be wrong tonight and we actually keep our lead

51. immortalhab says:

I like Ryan White but doesn’t he look crazy – with that grin and ghetto hair? A real back alley man!

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…2-2 ? …good ! …we’re making a comeback :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

53. Sorry to see that you were right Kim. Those third periods have been brutal fro the Habs this year!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

54. HabFanSince72 says:

St.Louis taking the Preds seriously – they started their #1 goalie tonight.

And Elliott isn’t letting them down: 20 saves on 20 shots so far.

What a great find.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habsfan0 says:

I wonder who Hitchcock will start in net to start the playoffs, Elliott or Halak? It’ll probably depend on who the Blues’ opponent is, and what each goalie’s record was against that team during the regular season.

55. SOrry, the season has been long and painful and I’d at least like to see a high pick for all the lack of effort and skill

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

56. Peter Young says:

And in the “olden days,” the Stanley Cup final series would be just getting underway about this date.

57. Bill says:

Thank god/oh no, I was happy/afraid we were going to win/lose this game/boring tv event. Now I can relax/rend my garment.

Full Breezer 4 Life

58. JIMVINNY says:

Pricey’s on the tank wagon…

59. Mark C says:

What a shot!

60. Phew… Panthers score and preserve our top five pick! I mean, aw damn… Price was thinking about a cocktail after the game…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

61. habsfaninboston says:

That was re-directed.

62. alwayssunny says:

God himself wouldn’t have saved that one.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabInBurlington

…Gerald, I read it, and I think that’s what I meant when I said “(very) above average solid NHLer”
    …but, You must admit a notch below Savard’s and Murphy’s careers
    …really a shame of what happened with he and Keith Magnuson, wasn’t it ?

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

64. immortalhab says:

Imagine what Leblanc will do with decent linemates.

65. Peter Young says:

That Sun Life advertisement on the boards behind the Florida net reminds me of the “olden days” when I wrote away at the start of every season to NHL headquarters in the Sun Life Building in Montreal for the new NHL schedule. The NHL sent it out free by return mail–all 210 games listed– a 70-game season with six teams: 3 x 70 = 210. Today it’s an 82-game season with 30 teams: 15 x 82 = 1230 games, almost six times as many.

66. Some bright spots for next year. Hope we can fill the center hole, defensive hole and the forechecking hole. Oh and the PP hole (yes it’s better, but only 27th so far)… Hmmm… what else did I miss?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

67. Mattyleg says:

Looks like the Troll Hunter finally arrived.
    Thank heavens, and not a moment too soon.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Tampa tie it at 2-2 midway through the third.

On their tenth shot of the game!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

69. Nice, LL has some push back. He’ll be good. What to say about Subban? He’ll be exceptional. Skating around everyone to establish the point again.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

70. Wayne says:

PK’s puck protection skills are some of the best I’ve ever seen.

71. HabFab says:

I see Arnold has arrived with his “eraser”.

72. Habitant in Surrey says:

Mikhail Grigorenko; NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=623059

“Patrick always helps me on the ice,” said Grigorenko. “He knows what I have to do. … He’s a great person. He’s always talking to the guys, he’s funny off the ice. On the ice, he’s really tough and a really good coach. He gives help to everyone. Now I think we have a really good team. And it’s just because of Patrick.”

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

73. Mark C says:

Price is too good tonight, Cunny needs to pull him. How is this dreadful Panther team in the playoff picture?

74. Wayne says:

You’e right, Mike. I’ve noticed that Staubitz really does have some skills but, the Habs have enough trouble developing legit skilled players than spend time on Brad.

While I’m at it here. It concerns me that the Habs, with no playoff in the picture here, are compounding the bad habits that plagued them all year. Not surprising with a Lame Duck coach and half the team not caring about cohesion because they may or not be there next year. Nonetheless, it doesn’t bode well for next year’s crop, no matter what system they play.