Liveblog: Another home-ice stinkeroo

Wideman

If the Super Bowl is this boring …
Impossible.
Nothing could be as boring as the Caps-Canadiens matinee.

How bad was it?

The Capital had TWO penalty shots … and cashed one of them.

Scott Gomez didn’t score, so he’s made it a calendar year since his last one.

1. vander10 says:

Well hope is gone we can all now hope for some dramatic changes need to go for broke it takes balls to make these trades and if it takes eating so salary oh well all can say is Gomez. That word is like a swear word one of the biggest busts in the history of the NHL. Now turning a rough season into hope not the fans say but Cole George’s Are reference for the heart Montreal needs to build on now we wait and see. If we the fans will have hope stayed tuned all

2. Frank2468 says:

Remember those old style hockey games we had as kids? Where you controlled the men on steel rodes, and by pulling or pushing on the rods made the player either rush or come back and turning the rods they shot either left or right? Well I think thats what needs to be done with Habs so this way Cunneyworth has total control of the team and game decisions. This way PK doesn’t make an untimely decision to pinch like he did today. LOL

3. vic says:

This team is a disgrace they have no pride whatsoever.
    I have been a Canadian fan since the forties and get as sick watching these spoiled millonairs not trying to earn the money they are paid.
    How They play is an insult to our intellegence.
    If I hear one more ( we have to play 60 mins) again.
    Ah forget it

4. The Juice says:

Here’s some dreamy draft math:

Habs currently looking good to finish 2nd last overall, which would give them an 18.8% chance at the 1st pick, a 37.3% chance at the 2nd pick, and a 43.9% chance at the 3rd pick.

Not bad…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• With a 56.1% chance of getting a top 2 pick, I am more than happy!! Tank! Sell! woooo

• podbay says:

Regarding the Habs potentially winning the first, second or even the third pick, this is my fear: Gauthier, or whoever is chosen to replace him if he’s fired, will pick someone who will need to spend 2-4 years in the minors before he can play in the NHL. Or they’ll pick a kid who then commits to spend his next four years in college before committing to an NHL contract. Wouldn’t it be a modern miracle if the Habs draft a kid who makes the team that fall? Or is that too much too expect?

5. EricInStL says:

GoalTV has a great finish to FC Barcelona vs Real Sociedad

6. Mr.Bell says:

Is that not what Interim means though?

7. What’s worse – this team’s incapability of scoring or this website’s server?

8. EricInStL says:

Name the Montreal Canadien who would or could do this….

9. Frank2468 says:

Well on a positive note Toronto is in 9th cause the Caps won. Lets hope the Sens kill the Leafs tonight. I’m hoping the Habs totally collapse and we get a high draft choice. I’m also pulling for Jersey, Caps, and Jets not necessarily in that order as long as one of them derail the Leafs. Then the season isn’t a total lose we get a high draft choice and the Leafs are out again. So then we can say to Leaf fans 8 going on 9.

10. solomio says:

Here is a list of who has to go:
    Mathieu Darche,Brian Gionta,Scott Gomez, Andrei Kostitsyn,Petteri Nokelainen,Chris Campoli,Hal Gill,Yannick Weber.

Here’s whose left

Mike Blunden, Rene Bourque, Erik Cole, David Desharnais, Lars Eller , Louis Leblanc, Travis Moen, , Max Pacioretty, , Tomas Plekanec, Ryan White, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, , Josh Gorges, Tomas Kaberle, Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban,

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• What about Price and Budaj?????

Price stays – need to sign him up long term.
      Budaj goes.

I would keep Gionta, but who the hell would trade for Gomez?

• solomio says:

Yes I left the goalies out. Price stays and as far as back ups go unless you wanna get Brodeur, Budaj is as good as any. Gionta should go only because he is not Captain material , is a samller center, getting older and perhaps becoming more injury prone. Habs will have to move in a different direction.
        Gomez has to go no matter how it gets done.

• Brodeur in a Habs jersey??? WOW. This would be a awesome move.

I like this. Veteran Martin Brodeur in his last year helps out a young Carey Price to even become a better goalie.

Only draw back, Brodeur has said he would like to end his career with one team – NJ.

• otter649 says:

Budaj is signed for two years….

• remi_10069 says:

i would put plek on the “go” list

pipes

• solomio says:

Yes I thought about getting rid of Pleks but you know what…bottom line is he is a very very useful player in a variety of situations, talented and most of the time works at it and I don;t think for what he can do, you’ll get any better.

• vivsterjuve88 says:

there aren’t many other players who can do everything he does, but there’s a number of players who can do more for us at 5mill/yr than he can. He’s an amazing defensive fwd/2nd to 3rd line center, but u don’t pay 5mill. for that, it’s the salary cap era

• solomio says:

The fact is Pleks is signed and that is his salary. Personally I think he is a second line center and with his PK,PP and 5 on 5 abilities plus the fact that he is a vet yet still young he has had an off year but there’s plenty in the tank for next year.

• powdered toastmann says:

don’t forget Gainey and the Goat on the “to go” list

• solomio says:

Gainey really has to be removed from the Habs picture. He is the black cloud. And yes Mr Gauthier had his chances but failed, in the end. A new hockey mind is required.One with a more pro fan presonality too.

• mrhabby says:

if you really want a massive cleansing,,include cole. he would bring alot…

• solomio says:

No. Cole is exactly what this team needs and the other players need to see that.

• mrhabby says:

i agree ..was thinking of a complete overhaul. not possible to get rid of all players.

• powdered toastmann says:

Good Point…I was with the “get what we can for Cole now while his value is at a high”group. But, you’re right…there are so few who could actually be a good mentor to the younger players while leading by example. Cole would definately fit this mould. Hopefully he can sustain his level of play for the duration of his contract.

11. Cam_1 says:

……….and where ? where ? where ? Is the Batman ? I’m sorry I mean the Molson-man ? How much longer to we have to wait ?

CAN GAINEY/GAUTHIER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. HabsFansince49 says:

Don’t worry about having to live through the rest of this season. What about the years to come? We’ll know how Leafs fans felt. I see absolutely no evidence that G. Molson will act substantially to change things. To do so means purging the organization of the Gainey – Gauthier regime.
    There are a 1000 reasons why Gauthier should be fired – here’s just one: Kaberle.
    There are a 1000 reasons Gainey should not be allowed near the Bell Centre. Here’s just one – Gomez.

G. Molson, for God’s sake, rid us of this plague!!!

13. AceMagnum says:

BUDAJ MOVIE!!

A Few Good Men

14. gumper says:

Just a few random comments, mainly because you folks are the only ones tolerant enough and interested enough to listen, and let’s face it, we all need to vent a little.

1. Today the Habs didn’t really generate any offence at all against a team that allows between two and three goals per game. Despite our gradual increase in size, we are still by and large playing a perimeter game. The vast majority of our non-threatening shots (which was pretty much all of them) came from the boards about a half an hour after Vokoun was set up.

2. I don’t discern a big-league game plan here. The philosophy of “just get pucks to the net and hope for a bounce” was the one I employed when coaching house league hockey for my son’s team. That was partly because the kids couldn’t handle much else, and partly because I wan’t much of a coach. Since the Canadiens seemed to be able to handle a more sophisticated game plan from Jacques, that only leaves one possible conclusion. Sorry Randy.

3. I’ve been saying all year long that this isn’t an NHL calibre defence, but now I must admit that our defence is closer to NHL calibre than our offence, even though player for player, the defence has far less experience.

4. The players definitely do not believe that the game plan is going to lead to success. In my opinion, they are working hard out there, but they do not believe that what they are doing will lead to goals. They have given up. They’re trying hard not to, but they’re just going through the motions.

5. Based on what I’ve seen lately, if someone said you can protect a half dozen players, and the rest are on the market here are the six I’d take, assuming it will be 3-5 years before we can compete again. Price, Yemelin, Subban, Eller and Pacioretty. Yeah, I know that’s only five, but given the 3-5 year time frame, and the current play of everybody else, it would be hard to make an argument for not offering the rest for good return. I’m assuming Louis would go back to Hamilton.

6. For God’s sake, will somebody please show Randy some video on how to break out, break in and set up when on the power play. You would have to be deliberately trying to make it look this embarrassingly bad, wouldn’t you?

Anyway, thanks for listening, those who bothered to read through this list of whining. Remember, keep your stick on the ice.

15. Raise your hand if you all think that RC is coming back next season?

• Da Hema says:

It’s moot. Molson already explicitly and clearly stated Cunneyworth after this season will be gone a mere two days after promoting him in the first place.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Do YOU believe Randy Cunneyworth SHOULD be offered a contract extension, as head coach?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• vivsterjuve88 says:

Clearly isn’t gonna be the head coach next year but I’m really hoping he gets an assistant spot back, he’s definitely an asset in that role, great with the young guys

16. Twitter:
    GMolsonCHC Geoff Molson
    Your tweets are tough at times but I love your passion for our Team…j’adore votre passion pour le CH…merci et #ghg

OKAY! Then start the blow up of the team already!!

17. EricInStL says:

So Florida has a chance to go far in these playoffs, I think the Canadiens should help them.

So Gill + Moen + Pleks for Jonathan Huberdeau + 2nd rounder

18. Booyacaja says:

Cunneyworth needs to point the finger at the players

Watching LAN and RC’s press conference. Man, hockey people are stupid.

What in the world are we going to do for the rest of the hockey year?
    Can you imagine trying to get rid of your season tickets at half price if you are lucky!

OK, I think my second pick of a team to follow for the rest of the year will be= in the east ? and in the west ?
    WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO
    Very difficult to watch this stuff until the end. But I probably will.

21. Hate82 says:

gotta give them some credit. They had 30 shots. It’s not their fault they didn’t score. It’s Vokoun’s fault for not letting any go in. Don’t you all hate Vokoun.

• Hali_Hab says:

I could stop 30 shots with from the wing or the blue line with NO traffic in front or second chances.. its not the shot total but the quality of the shots that counts… the habs make tenders look good.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
      Guy Lafleur.

• matt jordan says:

this team really reminds me of Jason Blake and the Leafs a few years, all sorts of shots, zero chances.

And Tomas Kaberle plays for the Habs now to .
      A bunch of brutal untradeable contracts…

Ladies and Gentleman, your 2008 Toronto Maple Leafs

• FlyingFrenchie says:

30 shots from a cannon vs 30 shots from a pop gun.
      You make the call.

22. CF says:

What is the date of the draft? I’m looking forward to it.

It’s been a while since Habs were sellers at the deadline. Not as exciting watching your players traded for third and fourth rounders. I have no faith in PG to get any value for Moen or AK. Especially AK. Nashville must be licking their chops at giving PG a fourth rounder in 2016 for a 210 lbs winger who can score 25 every year, and hit, and skate. Too bad PG is our GM. Too bad.

Too bad it looks like we’ll lose Moen and Gill, and quite possibly AK. Three guys I like. Gill is too slow and probably wouldn’t have been back anyway, but Moen and AK are tough guys we needs. Too bad.

23. twilighthours says:

I’ve been watching since ’86. I believe there is a team in the late 90s / early 00s that is statistically worse than this one, but it doesn’t feel like it. This definitely seems like the worst team of my lifetime. It’s even gotten worse than the pathetic collape of the 2008-09 Koivu/Kovalev Habs.

24. Win or Lose tomorrow, the Habs are done for the year. In order
    to climb up the standings and reach 8th, you need to WIN. In order to WIN, you need to score goals.

With the exception of half a dozen or so players, this team is at best a minor league team. No professionalism, no skills, no heart, no passion.

The next Scott Gomez goal may come in a different uniform.

I would hate being the GM of this Canadiens team. To sort this mess, where do I start.

25. habs001 says:

The way this season has gone would anybody be shocked if they won like 11 of their final 15 to ruin the draft pick..lol

26. The Gonk says:

Scott Gomez. Awesome. Tomas Kaberle. Awesome. Chris Campoli. Awesome. Pierre Gauthier. Well, I expect you to be just as awesome once you make that asinine trade I heard rumored for Jeff Carter. Hopefully you’ll trade Nathan Beaulieu and Lars Eller to make it happen. WORST HABS TEAM I’VE SEEN IN MY LIFE!

27. Stev.R says:

I think the pervading idea is that Montreal will draft Grigorenko or another center come draft day. If Grigorenko is not available, who would you pick? Gaunce? Faksa? Forsberg? Hertl? Or would you take a chance and pick Galchenyuk who is the biggest risk/reward in the draft.

28. habsfan0 says:

And on the 1st anniversary of his last goal, Scott Gomez will undoubtedly,unequivocallly, score a goal tomorrow against the Winnipeg Jets. Guaranteed. Take it to the bank.

29. habs001 says:

Another 3-0 or 3-1 game coming sun..not bad win on proline caps by 2,pitts by one and devils by one…ak46 is okay but we need a better player to replace him..many ak46 supporters would not have traded cole for him last year..

30. EricInStL says:

Chantale from RDS looks like the Quebec version of Madonna

31. It looks like Mike Cammalleri’s words are coming true,…this Habs team are losers.

32. AH says:

No need to worry about tanking…it’s easy to see the players have already decided to tank. What a mess.

33. Hate82 says:

it’s bad when our so called good players can’t score

34. rogieshan says:

So who exactly is the acting captain on this team?

35. MannyR says:

I’ve been watching the Habs play for over 45 years and as much as I love the team, they are not a team at all.
    There is no pride.
    What an embarrassment.
    Fire Gauthier.
    Tank and get a better shot in the lottery.
    Blow the team up.

• slimjim111 says:

Seriously, I’ve never seen such a soulless and pathetic team.

I still don’t understand why people even bother going to the games, send this team a message people: DONT GO TO THE GAMES!

I support the Canadiens, but this team is anything but.

36. AndyF says:

Here’s another Director of Hockey Operations:

Remember, ours is Patrick Boivin.

Hahahahahaha!

37. hablifting says:

15+ years of this crap. We have not had a single competent GM in all those years. Coaches have left to bigger and better things. Nobody has been able to get a top Centre in FIFTEEN BLOODY YEARS. The team is soft, most of the forwards have zero hockey sense. I have never liked the direction of this team under PG and BG and I continue to be painfully reminded of how correct I was.

Fire the entire front office. Get HOCKEY people involved with the team (hockey people realize that this game requires speed skill AND toughness). For the love of all that is good, please trade away every asset of worth for draft picks and prospects. Give us fans some damn hope for a better future.

38. Booyacaja says:

Maybe the ARE tanking? So we can stop asking for it.

39. The Dude says:

Come on you bad fans ,we’re only 2 players away from a broom ball championship!

40. LL says:

Tomorrow’s another day. But it starts in October.

41. remi_10069 says:

wtf is going on? Lose 3 “must win” games in a row and Cole as usual is the only guy really trying. AK needs to go, as does Plek. Campoli is worse than Weber who is worse than me. Can’t wait for AC to hear the crew’s take on this one….

pipes

42. JUST ME says:

Got to give credit to RDS when it is due. I found their one funny joke of the year was yesterday`s at le 5 à 7.

The number one way to convince your girlfriend to let you look at the Superbowl is to promise not to look at the habs in the playoffs…

Man this season is brutal…

43. Da Hema says:

Boone must be nauseous. That’s gotta be the fastest sign-off I have ever seen!

44. manu07 says:

Maybe we can make a run for Crosby? Plec Markov Gomez goo at any other old guys and a pick?

45. Hali_Hab says:

Brendan Gaunce look him up people! For the fact that he is a Canadian prospect we probably won’t draft him. We will draft some euro

46. Bripro says:

216:32 minutes of shutout hockey. Impressive, if you’re a Capitals fan.

47. afik says:

Yeah! I can’t watch these games any more! Its too much!

48. TANK! SE… do I have to repeat myself.

Just finish last place.

You guys see the boots on Chantal? Oy oy oy.

50. PrimeTime says:

Embarassing

51. durocher says:

Depressing. No other way to put it.

52. remi_10069 says:

plek misses another shorty breakaway. That’s a huge shock. Why is still playing for this team?

pipes

53. ooder says:

i feel bad for pleks, DD, pacioretty, gorges, subban, cole, eller, leblanc, emelin and gill.
    the rest of the team is useless and crap
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

54. Bripro says:

What? No penalty shot?
    C’mon ref..you’re losing your touch!

55. Captain aHab says:

Kabs almost iced it with a minute to go but thought twice about it.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

56. EricInStL says:

mmmm they just played shaddapa your face. Wonder to who ????

57. Habbu says:

Today the players have played like they themselves believe that yes indeed this season is done.

58. FlyingFrenchie says:

For anyone foolish enough to spend money on tickets to watch this tripe…
    I have a old vacuum cleaner for sale…It hasn’t worked since 1993.

59. Booyacaja says:

I miss Jacques Martin :(

• boing007 says:

Pierre Gauthier should be removed just for his firing of Jacques Martin and pulling the rug under Randy Cunneyworth all in the space of a few days. Maybe he’s bipolar.

Richard R

60. manu07 says:

What’s molsons email or phone number? I’m done with this team. I officially get anxiety and a great deal of anger watching these games. Of this continues for a few seasons I will be takin Plavex daily for the rest of my life.

61. durocher says:

If we picked up JF Jacques, at least we could see some fights

62. dean roberts says:

been a fan since the 70’s. worst team i’ve ever seen!

63. durocher says:

Poor Gomez. I’m curious to see what he says after the game. I wonder if the Caps are letting him have it.

64. DorvalTony says:

Molson’s like a deer in the headlights. He hasn’t got a clue how to proceed.

Hahahaa… Boone mailed it in already.

66. durocher says:

What a perimeter shift… emblematic of what this team has become.

67. Booyacaja says:

Nice shutout for halak

68. mrhabby says:

when will the habs have a big centre ….this pleks,gomer,dd thing cannot go on forever…frustrating mess.

69. LL says:

So no goalie controversy here folks.

RC is a moron. What’s the point of doubleshifting Cole at this point of the game?

71. The Dude says:

Tomorrow I wear a paper bag for the game eh!

72. twilighthours says:

47 of 102 possible points. 0.460 hockey. Worst team in a decade.

73. AndyF says:

That guy sitting next to Pierre Gauthier is none other than Patrick Boivin, the Habs equivalent of Boston’s Peter Chiarelli. Patrick is the Habs’ Director of Hockey Operations. http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52838

Got that? Patrick Boivin, Director of Hockey Operations.

“Patrick Boivin graduated with a Bachelors of Commerce degree in Finance and International Business from HEC Montreal, during which he took part in a foreign exchange program at Aarhus University in Denmark. ”

Hahahahaha!!!!