Liveblog: Canadiens beat Lightning 5-2

ColeLightning

Playing his 700th NHL game, Erik Cole scored twice to raise his career-best total to 34.
He is living proof that hard work is rewarded.
Linemate max Pacioretty, playing his 200th game, scored twice, his 31st and 32nd.
Tampa Bay is a terrible road team and really sucked.

• Fun reading: Down Goes Brown has the application form for the Canadiens’ general manager job.

I am getting sick of this token anglophone Pyjama Stock on the AntiChambre. He practically grunts and scoffs as he speaks He talks shit, then after he’s given his pulpit and somebody tries to counter him he cuts them off. Not too mention his French is atrocious.

Although he is right about Price playing too many games in the season.

PJ Stock :: 235 NHL games played. 5 goals scored. 21 assists. 26 points.

2. Mr. Biter says:

Question for the masses. we win tomorrow, leafs lose and come Saturday we play the Leafs. If we win the leafs end up below us or swallow it up and lose to the Leafs to get a higher draft choice.What say you.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• habstrinifan says:

I gotta be real honest. We won 5-2 and it did NOTHING for me. Maybe because it was against Tampa (no hate factor); maybe because it was too easy … Tampa played as if they all wanted to set-up Stamkos; or maybe because was too little too late… sort of.

So I say ‘hold our noses’ and LOSE LOSE!

I can wait till next year to get that ‘winning’ feeling again. Knowing that the LEAFS aint making the playoffs is good enough for me that I will give them a free win this weekend.

3. habstrinifan says:

Haven’t seen any comments re either of the following two players.

LL.. He played a good game I think. Every now and then he shows enough hands and eye for the net that it looks as he may be the next ‘graduate’ like Max Pac and DD and Subban to really become the ‘foundation’ of the team. I hope he blossoms like crazy next year. Although inconsistent, he has ‘something’.

Blake Geoffrion.. Hamilton awaits Blake… you aint gonna make it here lad.

4. habaholic68NJ says:

Nice game boys, even though Tampa took the night off.
    Maybe we can take the night off tomorrow to ensure a top 3 pick and then beat the living crap out of the lafs to finish the year.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

5. Kimberly2u says:

Well see you guys all tomorrow night….Cole gets to reunite with Staal…and clearly he is nothing without Staal. Lol

6. matt jordan says:

timothy13

April 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I hope the new General Manager has a brain and can make sound decisions. I know this will no doubt cause flax but the Price concussion is a blessing because now is the time not to resign sign him. The concussion can be the excuse. Carey Price is an average goalie, no question or argument about his status, please. I miss Halak and hope he takes the Blues far in the playoffs. It is time to completely rebuild the Montreal Canadiens because they have only one line and a few good D men.

7. punkster says:

Great game between Wings and Blues. In a SO now. That’s hockey baby!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

8. naweed235 says:

Victories aren’t the same when the games don’t mean anything… Watching the game I was actually bored and every goal got a “Meh…” reaction from me…
    I was always amazed when I met people that didn’t like hockey. I always thought to myself ” how can you not like one of the most intense and exciting sports that exists?” …. Well, I think for those who don’t religiously follow a team like most of here do, and don’t realize what each point could mean (obviously when a teams playoff hopes are still alive) each hockey game watched is a big “meh…”

9. L Elle says:

Max on RDS. “We need to show our fans there is hope for next year, that we have a good core, and we’re not that far away.”

I love this kid.

• 24moreCups says:

He’s right, the team has shown glimpse’s this season of how good they can be. They’re just missing a few pieces and they should be a playoff team next season.

10. 69HABS says:

Carey would have has a shutout tonight …. LOL …

11. HabFab says:

PK plays 27:17, wow!

12. ProHabs says:

With 5 games left in the season, why would Cunneyworth have the guys do some crashing the net exercises in practice. He said that DD was doing exactly what the drill was designed to do when DD ended up falling onto Prices head. What was the point Randy.

13. Kimberly2u says:

Our family here only have 2 games left to watch together…how sad :(

• mb says:

Yah but just think of all the drama awaiting in the offseason… New coach, new GM, draft day… There will be more material to talk about than last summer for sure!

• HabFab says:

I’m not sure what side of the family the tankers, halakist and mccheezes come from, but I think a DNA test is warranted. Just saying :)

14. jedimyrmidon says:

Would have been cool to see Stamkos hit 60 goals (just not against the Habs)… oh well, hopefully he gets them tomorrow against the Leafs… but the Leafs still win so that they can stay where they are in the standings. That would be nice.

15. Chuck says:

Good for them. I’d much rather have Stamkos pop two against the Leafs.

___________________________________________________

Have we exhausted Budaj jokes for tonight yet?

17. durocher says:

An encouraging game — we dominated, even if it was against Tampa. I’ll take any positive signs I can at this point.

I’m liking what I see out of St-Denis and Dumont. Staubitz continues to play his role effectively. Paloosh, Campoli are on their last legs in my view.

18. ProHabs says:

-That quote by Chris Nilan is awesome about Mike Milbury.
    -Having Staubitz in the lineup does have an effect on the way Ryan Malone plays.
    -It is time to shut Markov down for the year. He should now know that he is OK and his confidence should be back. Now shut him down so he is ready for next year in October when we need him.

19. L Elle says:

Tampa sucks worse than us – :)

I think Habs backup backup should start next two games.

21. Chuck says:

Are the members of Tank Nation having a fit tonight?

___________________________________________________

22. durocher says:

Based on what I’ve seen tonight, I wouldn’t want Boucher coaching Hamilton

23. durocher says:

Too bad we only have one line… where’s Lafleur to complain about the bottom three lines when you need him?

24. Kimberly2u says:

Boone must be hungry…chicken wings????

25. Lightening has the same problem that we do. We have one great line like them and a weak defense. They are playing very loose and enjoying themselves and that is when Max plays best. We need to do that next year against tougher teams, build the D and have at least one other line that can put up 75 goals. I’m sure Tampa knows that too.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

26. mrhabby says:

Funny what happens when there is no pressure.

27. mb says:

MaxPac!!

Hey! Free chicken wings…
    Except La Cage aux Sports all over the province must be empty right now.

cole + pacioretty > stamkos

29. ABHabsfan says:

Man this team needs some righthand shots. 2 phases of PP all Lh shots,

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

30. 24moreCups says:

Another one for Pacs! Looking like a younger Erik Cole, Cole seems the perfect mentor for Pacs.

I am beginning to think that what I called a while back will happen. Last game of the season between the Habs and Leafs for 5th and 6th place over-all.

Argh, you gotta be kidding me.

33. WOWWW
    THIS GUY SNAPPED OR WHAT WOOOOOOO
    PACIORETTYYYYYYY

34. durocher says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. L Elle says:

Free Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Propwash says:

CHICKENWINGS!!!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• L Elle says:

Great minds eh P-wash. LOL

• Propwash says:

LOL, yep! Mind you, I don’t eat at La Cage, got sick eating there a few years ago.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• L Elle says:

haha, I haven’t been there in years either. Prefer to watch games at home.

Remember Peel Pub and their alleged recycled wings? Stopped eating then.

• Propwash says:

Never ate at Peel Pub, well, actually had spaghetti there once, wasn’t horrible. But my memories of Peel Pub are hazy at best….

_____________________________
            “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
            Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• L Elle says:

I know what you mean…memories of … I forget. haha

37. habsfaninboston says:

Patches on fire.

38. jedimyrmidon says:

DD needs to shoot.

I gotta ask – is this win really necessary?
    Budaj started them off so well… it went all downhill from there.

40. A penalty called on Lecavalier?!! What a surprise

41. The Gonk says:

3 points behind the Leaves with this pending win. A loss to Carolina would be nice heading into the tankorama Saturday dinkfest with the charges of Burke the Genius.

• Adidess says:

Yes, you’re right the Gonk. I forgot the game against Carolina, it’s like I don’t even want any more games. Loss to Carolina is absolutely necessary :) I want to enjoy a win against the Leafs with no bad aftertaste in my mouth.

——————————————–
      I want a top pick. It would really suck to suck this bad and have suckers like the Leafs outsuck us down the stretch and suck away our draft pick.

42. durocher says:

Worst player for us tonight, Palushaj?

43. Adidess says:

Le Tank is safe, my friends. The lowest (highest) the Habs can finish is 27th, even if we win the next game against TO as well. I say win on!

44. Kimberly2u says:

I havent noticed Malone tonight

45. slapshot777 says:

Anyone notice that Malone is not so cocky tonight with Staubitz in the lineup.

46. Bourque didn’t shoot again, why bother? RDS is saying he hesitates a little? A little?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• ABHabsfan says:

when he does shoot it is usually high and wide as well

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-