Liveblog: Canadiens beat Lightning 5-2

ColeLightning

Playing his 700th NHL game, Erik Cole scored twice to raise his career-best total to 34.
He is living proof that hard work is rewarded.
Linemate max Pacioretty, playing his 200th game, scored twice, his 31st and 32nd.
Tampa Bay is a terrible road team and really sucked.

• Fun reading: Down Goes Brown has the application form for the Canadiens’ general manager job.

1. Staubitz can skate too! Wow, love this guy if just for the fun of it on the fourth line.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• neumann103 says:

I posted this a couple of days ago but I was at the last three games in Buffalo, the latter two in really good seats and one of the very first “things you don’t notice on TV” moments was how good a skater Staubitz is.

Honestly he has some tools that make him not a waste of a roster spot

“Et le but!”

2. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Seven Francophone names in the lineup tonight!!

3. Phil C says:

Cole is hitting everything, even Campoli.

4. Do we see a lot of empty seats or are the dads taking the kids out?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

5. Doooie86 says:

John Liu looks like a complete idiot with that tie

6. Love how fast Staubitz jumped in. Hope he stays.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

7. L Elle says:

I’m sure Stamkos is a really sweet guy off the ice, but he can score his 60th elsewhere.

8. Adidess says:

Oh forgot to mention. This will surprise those of you who were unaware. One friend joked I could do a better job than Gauthier as GM of the Habs, after he got fired.

After carefully thinking about it, I’ve called Geoff Molson to make clear that my family is my #1 priority at the moment. I’d appreciate that he doesn’t offer me the job.

I thank my joking friend for his confidence in my talent and his overwhelming support.

9. SlimDiggity says:

Damn! Now there’s a guy who knows how to tank! Give Budaj an extension!!!

10. jols101 says:

As a huge Price supporter and a reluctant Tank supporter I was always hoping for a 1-0 loss so Price would still have good numbers.

Now that he is out I really would like to see a good old fashion barn burner…9-8 Tampa in regualtion…

11. Adidess says:

I know we’re tanking, but Budaj could be a little less obvious about it

12. Kimberly2u says:

With a guy named Dumba he likely will be a Hab. Lol

13. jedimyrmidon says:

Is it bad that I’m not really bothered by Budaj’s gift to the Lightning?

14. Bourque is often in the right place, but he just can’t seem to connect. Does he need contact lenses?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

15. habsfaninboston says:

Bourque misses another gift.

16. Nakasuga says:

O’Byrne and Budaj-teammates in Colorado right?!

17. ont fan says:

Mackenzie big on Dumba and Murray as 2nd and 3rd choices in draft.

18. matt jordan says:

The Canadiens made Price unavailable just so they can tank like everyone else. Look at the goalies playing in the NHL for bottom
    feeders right now.
    Allen York?
    Petr Budaj? (never saw Halak do that)
    Sebastien Caron?
    Jussi Rynnas?
    Ben Scrivens?
    And if i’m not mistaken the Leafs also had a beer league goalie as a backup the other night.

19. Clay says:

I think Budaj has embraced the tank. After the pass, I could have sworn I saw him say: “Too subtle?”

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

20. Mondou6 says:

That was possibly the most hilarious goal of this entire season.

If Budaj had tried to assist on his own empty net goal, he couldn’t have made a more perfect pass.

21. I just logged on to see how the Canadiens would be set for next year and that is what I see? Oy! Guess he was paid extra to help the pick stay within the top three.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

22. slapshot777 says:

What a f..king brain cramp by Budaj.

23. L Elle says:

LMAO…what else?

24. Bill says:

Habs’ Tank™ Mode a tad too obvious there lol.

Be more subtle, Budaj.

Full Breezer 4 Life

25. JIMVINNY says:

I guess Budaj has his marching orders; push the Tank!!!!

26. jedimyrmidon says:

That was… brutal…

27. Captain aHab says:

Budaj taking tanking up to a new level! Way to go boy!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

28. Why do goaltenders come out of the net?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

29. habsfaninboston says:

Nice assist Budaj.

30. Phil C says:

I saw on TSN that Stamkos trains with Gary Roberts in the summer. It’s very intense, they even send them home with prepared meals to make sure the nutrition is perfect. Roberts even imports the water. I would love to see Leblanc and Eller train like that this summer.

31. Stev.R says:

Could any team be expected to win when they have 6 guys in the line up that started the season in the AHL, two guys (Emelin and DD) playing in their first full NHL season, and three players (MaxPac, Subban, Eller) in their 2nd full season?

32. Mondou6 says:

HabinBurlington: What’s the hockey scene like in upper VT? Many Habs fans? Bruins fans? No one cares?

33. Mr. Biter says:

Mike, wouldn’t it be Emelin and Malone?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

34. Captain aHab says:

OMG we scored a goal against an unknown goalie with a francophone name at the Bell.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Don’t know why, but going out to watch the game. CHeers everyone.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

Wow. Nice setup by Desharnais on the end of a long shift.

37. Clay says:

Nice goal…but is it too little, too late ;)

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

38. habsfaninboston says:

Nice Emmy!

39. Habfan10912 says:

St Louis vs. Detroit on big screen and Habs vs. Bolts on the small picture in picture. Does this make me less of a fan? Feeling a bit guilty.

40. Adidess says:

Been a long time since there was a game we could afford to win with the tankorama. We’re going to finish 28/29 regardless. Go BullHabs Go!

41. Kimberly2u says:

Here we go.

42. HabFab says:

So five confirmed as being asked to interview for GM so far.
    So how many more get asked and who?

43. habsfanforever7631 says:

So is Dumont playing today?

44. punkster says:

Max? No goals in 11 games?

Trade him now while his value is high.

DO IT JOHN BELLYFUL!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

45. zorro says:

Remember when Milbury tried to run the Habs goalie, I think it was Roy and then Robinson cleaned his clock. Ha Ha Ha, its a must see.

46. Kimberly2u says:

Here we all are waiting for game # 80….go Habs go

47. Captain aHab says:

I just called Geoff Molson to let him know I’m not available to tbe GM.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

48. punkster says:

Fact Master Boone…always with the interesting tidbits prior to puck drop.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

49. JohnBellyful says:

Just to be clear, I’ve also withdrawn my name for consideration as the next Habs GM.

50. SmartDog says:

Wow. Milan Lucic’s girlfriend is one cooky chicken. What a hosebag.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

51. Mike D says:

Courtesy of Chris Nilan on TSN990, just moments ago”

“If there was anybody in the NHL who wore a skirt when he played, it was Mike Milbury.”

Knuckles is still the man!

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

52. slapshot777 says:

I guess you didn’t notice the “lol” at the end there. I guess you wouldn’t know a hint of sarcasm if it bit you.

53. JohnBellyful says:

So why am I watching this game again?
    — To offer informed opinion on the Canadiens’ execrable play after the game?
    — To find out the panel’s choice for the team’s next general manager?
    — Because Modern Family’s a rerun?
    — In for a penny, in for a pound?
    — Wanna see how many shots Gorges blocks tonight?
    Okay, I’ll do it, but I expect a thank you letter from the team if I watch the whole game. A star for attendance, at the very least.

54. slapshot777 says:

I see that Vincent Damphousse has withdrawn his name for consideration for the vacant GM position.

Likewise I see that Pat Brisson and Marc Bergevin has been spoken to by the Habs about the GM job.

Let’s see if Toronto will grant Montreal permission to speak to Claude Loiselle. Burke will probably deny the request with a bonus for Loiselle and a promise to be a coach for the US team at the Olympics. Lol.

55. Captain aHab says:

So the CBC has to make big cuts and I see a bunch of people hail this as the end of Don Cherry….do these people really think that Cherry won’t be snapped up by TSN? I doubt the blowhard will have a single day of unemployment….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Keener_7 says:

Wouldn’t hurt to let him go. I have been reading that he is the highest paid government employee in Canada, making between $800,000 and $1 000, 000. I’m sure those tax dollars could be put to some better use.

56. LafleurGuy says:

With a nod to Dr. Seuss:

The Puck Stops Here

“The One who stayed is overplayed
    And now must rest his head.
    The One sent away will continue to play,
    While our team is playoff dead.”

“Some detest the price, say it wasn’t nice,
    To send away their Jaro.
    ‘He’s not all that, look at his stats,
    Why are minds so narrow?”

“But when all is done, and the Cup is won,
    This truth they will surmise.
    Jaro reigned supreme in that playoff dream,
    But the Blues employ two guys!”

“May you live in interesting times.”

57. Captain aHab says:

I’d like to see DD beat up St Louis tonight…midget fight.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

58. frontenac1 says:

Who cares about Spacek?He’s done! Big part of the Bruin beatdown last year.

59. frontenac1 says:

Kempie, I would also love to see Allen in a Habs jersey but I don’t think Kirk would let him to walk. Amherstview Jets are a suburb of Kingston.

60. otter649 says:

Sign seen at the local Speedy Muffler Shop –

Free Brakes during Maple Leafs play off season……..

61. mark_ID says:

is Mario Lemieux’s #66 the only number other then Gretzky’s #99 that player’s won’t wear in the entire league out of respect?

I’m trying to think, can’t think of anyone else who has wore #66 in the league since Lemieux retired. Gretzky’s number was retired throughout the league……don’t think they did the same for Lemieux tho right??

“Step off George”

62. Propwash says:

So, Desharnais was the one who layed out Price, I wonder what the chit chat prior to that was ……

Price – “Hey, David! Do ya know why I practice rodeo during the offseason?”

Desharnais – “Umm, no…why?”

Price – “For your MOM!”

Desharnais – “Carey, you’re so dead, ‘sti!”

63. frontenac1 says:

Kempie, I like Allen too, but I go to the gym where Erskine used to work out in the off season. A real character guy with no inflated ego. Check out his last fight with Bolton on youtube and tell me if he doesn’t bring back memories of Larry Robinson! He has one more year with the Caps at 1.5 mill I believe. Habs should do a deal and get him.

64. habsfan0 says:

What is the Habs’ magic number to clinch 2nd pick at draft lottery?

• HabFanSince72 says:

three (combination of Montreal losses and Oiler wins).

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Nevermind, read up on the lottery, learned only the first draft spot is lottery-ed up

• GrimJim says:

what do you mean “lottery-ed up”?

• shiram says:

I was wrong, HFS72 got it explained below.

• GrimJim says:

@shiram
            I think you are misinformed. Every non-playoff team is entered in the lottery and can win, but the winner can only move up 4 places. Last year Devils finished in 23rd place but won the draft lottery so they got to pick 4th.
            EDIT: I type way too slow

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not quite. The lottery is a bit weird. The team that wins it moves up 4 spots (or fewer if they were ranked 3rd or higher). Every team they jump over moves down one.

Make sense?

Foe example, last year NJ were in 8th spot (8th worst record).

They won the lottery (only one team wins it).

So they picked 4th instead of 8th.

Teams ranked 1-3 were unaffected. Teams ranked 4-7 all went down one spot.

The year before the Oilers were ranked #1 and they won the lottery. The draft order was unaffected.

So if we finish say at #6 there are only three possible spots we can pick: 2nd, 6th or 7th.

If we finish at #4 from bottom we can only pick first, 4th or 5th.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• christophor says:

Forgive the pickiness, but…

OTL’s aside, any possible combination of numbers equaling three means Montreal finishes 28th.

(3, 0), (1, 2), and (2, 1) are the possible combinations. In all three, MTL and EDM are tied in points but MTL has more regulation wins and so finishes 28th.

However, in the first and third scenarios, if EDM has more OTL in their last two games than MTL in their last three, MTL finishes 29th. The second scenario is hopeless.

Edit: Of course, if MTL wins and EDM losses are also variables, then we’re talking a real possibility of MTL finishing 29th. It’s just funny you picked the two variables (under the condition that they add up to 3) leading to no hope for MTL.

There’s my useless post for the day.

65. kempie says:

Wow. I go out for an hour and I come back to this? Just when I thought it was boring in here, timothy13 slam-dunks the post of the year in a cloud of flax. Nice.

66. frontenac1 says:

Get some Kingston D in the off season!John Erskine and Bryan Allen!

67. habaholic68NJ says:

What I want to see tonight:
    -Staubitz cracking Malone
    -Lots of goals, by both teams
    -A regulation loss, ensuring a top 3 pick

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

68. Mattyleg says:

I’ll be at the game tonight!!
    With no voice!
    Shhhheeeeeeeiiitt!!!!
    So annoying.

No flax, please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Are Stabby, White and Blunden dressed tonight in order to tune up Melone?

“A cup of coffee before I go, to the valley below”. (Bob Dyllan)

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/stats (click on Gabriel Dumont)

• Strummer says:

Zimmerman also sang “The times they are a changin'”

He was from northern Minnesota.
      Do you think he was a hockey fan?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• sprague cleghorn says:

He claims to have played centre as kid. Really. Although I don’t think his song “Walls of Red Wing” has anything to do with Joe Louis Arena.

71. Captain aHab says:

Our entire first line needs to get the flu now.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Canadiens’ munchkins strike again. Was it Weber that always used to nail people with his off target slappers at practice?

73. habstrinifan says:

Shut him down and monitor rehab-recovery process during off-season. This means no rodeo activities Carey!!!

74. shiram says:

White’s concussed, or you know dizzy and headachy.

75. Mattyleg says:

See previous thread for symptoms.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

76. Mattyleg says:

I’d prefer to see them do it one after another.
    Like, standing in line, polishing their knuckles.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

77. jon514 says:

I don’t know what’s sadder, the fact that the league in strong-arming a city into paying for it’s mistakes, or that an elected official gave 20 million of taxpayer money to an escrow account without doing the due diligence.

She should resign in my opinion. She failed miserably in her job there and now she’s blame-shifting.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

78. Bill says:

Embarrassing. City officials say they were misled about how close a sale was by Bettman/Daly (easy to believe) and talking about the NHL like it were some shady fly-by-night organization. I’ve never heard anyone say stuff like that about MLB or the NFL. Nice league you’ve built there, Gary.

Of course, my sympathy for these politicians is limited. They made a stupid decision and now they’re spreading the blame around.

Full Breezer 4 Life

79. matt jordan says:

It’s so weird how everyone except Gary Bettman and his cronies can see that hockey is a poor choice of sport in the desert.

Imagine being a taxpayer in Glendale? SHeesh.

Oh well, move the team to Quebec where no one will complain about publicly funding an NHL team.

80. Captain aHab says:

There’s going to be significant cuts to sports….not sure they’ll be able to keep hockey. Maybe the only thing they won’t cut is HNIC.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

81. GrimJim says:

I think the biggest mistake CBC ever made was not setting up an all-sports network when they set up their all news network. CBC lost CFL coverage when TSN promised to broadcast every game. They lost the Briar when they couldn’t put every game on the air in basic cable like TSN promised and they lost the 2010 Olympics because CTVMedia promised to air every event using CTV and TSN together. All three are money-makers and the CBC could have offered competitive bids if they had their own sports network.

82. Mr. Biter says:

Hockey and Cherry are the only thing that brings any form of revenue to CBC. Everything else on CBC sucks and costs us the tax payers plenty.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

83. Mr. Biter says:

Yeah, Flyers calling Crosby one of the dirtiest Pens. The kettle calling the pot black.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

I have a “doctor friend” who would be glad to discuss this proposition with you.

85. Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know if I would give any body parts but he would look great in a Hab uniform huh?

86. Captain aHab says:

But are you available to be the next Habs GM?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

87. JohnBellyful says:

Man, you got stones!

88. Habfan10912 says:

Dr. Nick from the Simpson’s?

Pretty much :)

90. Captain aHab says:

LMAO

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

91. Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t that the NY Met right fielder? Oh no. That’s Lucas Duda.

92. JohnBellyful says:

Maybe Letterman can introduce them: “Dumba, Duda. Duda, Dumba.”

93. Habfan10912 says:

Tremendous. :)

I am just glad the Habs aren’t getting pushed around, mugged and mauled any more. After watching the Penguins and Flyers have their little war of attrition last game they played against each other I am confident in saying that the team can only carry 1 or 2 smurfs at a time and needs a heavy weight or two on top of having a few gritty middle weights.

Even factoring fighting out of the equation there is still hitting and checking not to mention battles along the boards that factor into the size and grit debate.

95. mrhabby says:

What a nasty game that was..did use see the bruins and pens game last night..a cage match.