Liveblog: Canadiens end season with win over Leafs

RandyCunneyworth.jpg

The usual suspects:
Max Pacioretty scored his 33rd, Erik Cole his 35th.
Brad Staubitz got a 200-foot empty-netter
And Tomas Plekanec got a 3-on-5 shorty.
Peter Budaj was really good.

•  •  •

Before the curtain descends on this horror show of a Habs season, might we spare a few kind words for two guys whose dedication and professionalism transcended the team’s last-place finish:
Josh Gorges and Randy Cunneyworth.

• Gorges leads the NHL in blocked shots. As Don Cherry told Dave Stubbs:

It’s one thing for guys to block shots when you’re on the march to the Stanley Cup, but it’s pretty tough to do it when you know you’re going nowhere,” Cherry said. “Guys usually say, ‘Forget it.’ But Gorges is going right to the end.”

Coming off knee surgery and playing against the opponent’s best forwards night after night, Gorges is plus-13 on a team that has lost 51 games.

Cherry is right: No disrespect to Brian Gionta, but number 26 should be wearing the “C”.

• On Friday night’s edition of L’Antichambre, Michel Bergeron – who usually gives it to the Canadiens pretty good – had high praise for Cunneyworth.

You can criticize strategy and decision like using Tomas Kaberle in a shootout, Bergeron said, but you have to admire Cunneyworth’s grace under pressure.

The coach knows he won’t be back behind the Canadiens’ bench next season. But Cunneyworth has comported himself with dignity, class and good humour.

He is a profoundly decent man, and I hope there’s still a good job for him in hockey.

Bergeron suggests before the Canadiens take the ice for their last game, someone – Gorges is the ideal candidate – should get up in the room and say “Let’s play our asses off and win this thing for Randy.”

There isn’t much else in the way of motivation.

1. durocher says:

Another breakaway for Pleks — the only time he’s really been dangerous this season

Ahhhhhh Plex with the beautiful fanned deke move!!

3. temekuhabs says:

Yessss!!

4. jedimyrmidon says:

YEAHH!!!!!!

5. jedimyrmidon says:

Uh oh…

Crappy start.

7. mb says:

Weren’t they supposed to present the monthly Molson Cup to Cole, also?

8. Stev.R says:

Why the hell does CBC only show Montreal when they play Toronto, but on the last day of the season they force me to watch Winnipeg vs Tbay. Why are they so stupid. Put Winnipeg on any other saturday of the season instead of toronto. But not when MTL finally gets to be on. Holy shit is CBC ever stupid!

9. FanCritic says:

I feel sorry for RC what ever anyone else thinks on this site personally I think someday somewhere with a good team he’ll prove to Molson’s they should have kept him. with this no name team he did very well. coaching a team with good players he’ll win a cup. all the best RC.

10. durocher says:

Easy call, bad play

11. L Elle says:

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

;) :) ;)

12. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Price looked like a rodeo clown with that …wow how embarrassing for the team

13. frontenac1 says:

Would also love to see Randy reatained in some capacity.Perhaps player development?

14. Kimberly2u says:

Not happy with the lack of applause for Josh

15. punkster says:

Carey and his hat.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. JIMVINNY says:

Sweet duds.

Carey should have had his rope with him and lassooed the trophy

18. temekuhabs says:

No way to trade our top pick that C we need will be there!

19. durocher says:

Pretty subdued applause for JG

20. durocher says:

Best anthem singer in professional sports: Ronan Tynan, the Yankees guy

21. frontenac1 says:

Hear Hear Boone!!!Posted the same sentiments about Cunneyworth two days ago!

22. Castor says:

I’m really REALLY not liking this Gionta hate on this site these days. Gorges is fantastic and would make a great Captain but that doesn’t make Gionta any less a great Captain. Wow.

The guy has back to back almost 30 goal years (He missed a month the first year and still almost hit 30) and then he gets hurt most of this year and suddenly he’s a bad Captain? Picked by JM against the players judgment? Come on.

23. Kimberly2u says:

Here we are …Our family all gathered together for our last game

24. Bill says:

More importantly, Kaberle can still contribute, and Komi can’t. If it weren’t for Komi’s NMC, he’d be with the Marlies next year.

25. Adidess says:

Eric Cole, trying in French on RDS. ‘Merci beaucoup pour le support dans cette année’. You have to love that.

Haven’t seen Gionta complete a sentence in French since introducing teammates in French that first year. Strip him of the captaincy quick and pass it to Cole before tonight’s game ! :)

• 69HABS says:

I never liked Gionta as Captain

• Adidess says:

I see what you’re saying, but he’s the captain already…

——————————————–
        I want a top pick. It would really suck to suck this bad and have suckers like the Leafs outsuck us down the stretch and suck away our draft pick.

26. Un Canadien errant says:

Look at Erik, making the effort to speak directly to the fans on RDS, getting a few words out in French. Great going by a great guy, what an awesome acquisition by he who will no longer be named.

Wish that Kirk had made the same effort all the years he was here.

27. durocher says:

Craig Button’s draft prospects ranking has Grigs at #7

28. 69HABS says:

Well Geoff ” lets give our Fans a reason to be excited about next season”…

29. shootdapuck says:

So, which players are we bidding farewell to in 3 hours?

Gomez, Kaberle, Campoli, Nokelainen, Weber, Diaz, Plaushaj……….

Any additions?

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• L Elle says:

Campoli has been very good lately, and Kaberle, with the right D mates, is also good.

Not sure those two will be leaving, unless the new GM finds better.

• shootdapuck says:

Campoli is finishing a one year 1.75 mill deal. Ciao!

Sure he and Kaberle playing well lately, none of the games meant anything a lot less resistance faced.

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t want this to be taken in a negative way, but it would be good if we said farewell to Raphaël Diaz, Louis Leblanc and Blake Geoffrion for a season, have them play regularly in Hamilton instead of minor minutes here. Of course, we don’t have the roster depth to make that possible.

• Bigdawg says:

How true. Hopefully most of them will be back in hammy at the start of next year. It’ll take some free agent spending or trades to get there though..

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s plug some holes with some cheap acquisitions, grit our teeth through next season, as an investment for the future. If we lose a few games more than we would otherwise, so be it.

• Bigdawg says:

as long as we do enough to make the playpoffs next year. I do not want to go through another year like this again.

Some here may think lets suck for 2 years then we can be really good. or 4 years or 5 years or 50 years. Sorry but I don’t think loosing makes you a winner! And that’s just my belief and no one will change it.

• durocher says:

I would add: Diaz and Weber

• neumann103 says:

Goodbye to diaz?????

And weber is signed for another year at peanuts. only reason he goes is if he is part of trade for a forward or prospect

edit… android spell check changed weber to debris

“Et le but!”

30. durocher says:

Boone, you need some pregame stats?

“Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.” – Homer Simpson

31. blacy says:

Thank you, Mike Boone, for the great words ‘dedication and professionalism’ referring to Gorges and Cunneyworth. So sad to be watching our last game tonight, but it wasn’t meant to be this year. BUT GO HABS GO NEXT YEAR!

32. durocher says:

Good pre-game question: do we trade our first round pick? If so, for whom?

• Bigdawg says:

if we can get Yaku, Grig or Galen go with the pick.

As good as the others are none have the same upside as those three. Might consider trading if those three aren’t available. BUT would try to not include plek or DD. If we trade our pick for immeadiate help, we need to keep players that are good now.

33. 24moreCups says:

Most likely the last game Randy will coach as a Hab, you gotta feel for the guy, he seems like a good guy and wish him nothing but the best in the future.

But once again I hate the Leafs and would love to see the boys whoop them tonight!

34. punkster says:

Wow, PJ Stock…Moore’s must have had a suit sale this week.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

35. Strummer says:

Re: the captaincy-
    Isn’t gratifying that there’s more than one guy that pick-up the torch when it’s passed on?
    Gorges is younger and eventually he’l get his turn.
    Having multiple choices can also be problem
    Didn’t Boom-Boom get pissed-off when he was passed over for Beliveau for captain when the Rocket retired?
    And as a result he didn’t mind getting traded when it happened.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I am profoundly appreciative and proud of the fans and players in Winnipeg!
    They are a class act and I wish them well next year! They are a great hockey town and had been without far to long!!

• shootdapuck says:

Ian,

Just goes to show what happens when an entire city gets behind a team!

The management of the Jets will now have to improve the team and show some progress ie. make the playoffs, in order to maintain the support and momentum generated this year.

It’s hard to imagine the amount of Jet merchandise which has been sold this season and on display on a daily basis around town.

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• HabFanSince72 says:

“Just goes to show what happens when an entire city gets behind a team!”

They go on a season ending losing streak to fall out of the playoffs?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shootdapuck says:

Ya and the the team is on solid financial footing.

They can’t win on the road and it was their downfall.

No secrets.

=================================================
          The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
          “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

37. durocher says:

I’m liking what I see out of homeboys Dumont and St-Denis. Dumont has some stones on him, and he’s not afraid to get in the mix. St-Denis seems to remind me of Gorges — not spectacular or flashy, but gets the job done.

Dumont I think needs to refine his game in the A (especially his faceoff taking skills), whereas I would be okay with St-Denis being a #6 or #7 D man for us next season. I’d take him over Diaz or Weber any day, even though they are roughly all the same size.

38. Adidess says:

Bill, very precise diagnostic.

I am not sure it’s always the same people who want one thing and it’s exact opposite, but as a collective we sure are a bipolar group. Props to you!

39. ZepFan2 says:

Impact get first win against Toronto. Omen?

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

40. Bill says:

Loved the article on the other thread about Freud and the Flyers: hilarious and v. accurate.

There’s no shortage of cognitive dissonance on HIO either, however. A few examples:

1. Guys complain about lack of consistency in the line-up preventing players from gelling as a line. Guys also suggest breaking up the only line that has worked all year to make room for the unicorn-like Big Centre.

2. Guys warn not to pick a Russian. Also complain how we don’t have a player like Malkin, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin.

3. Guys complain the Habs have tarnished their image by firing coaches on game day and trading Cammy during a game. Also want to strip Gionta of captaincy for no really good reason.

4. Guys bemoan lack of intelligent posts. Then suggest trading approximately half the team for Getzlaf or Nash.

5. Guys want a total rebuild based on youth. Also advocate trading PK Subban and David Desharnais.

6. Guys have wished for years to have a top three pick. Now want the Habs to bypass Grigorenko and pick Gaunce. NAG!

7. Habs can’t score. Guys here identify lack of fighters as problem. Habs add Blunden, Staubitz, White. Still can’t score. Fan solution? Brian Allen!

8. Guys hate Kaberle for ineffective play and big contract. Suggest trading him for Komisarek, whose play is worse, whose contract is the same but has a no movement clause! This is my fave.

• punkster says:

Hells bells Bill, it’s only April 7. We’ll experience the full duality of man during the run up to July 1.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habstrinifan says:

#6.
      I had wondered aloud re trading down… that way obtaining some current NHL player and their first for our first. Would Guance be too big a step down then. But was just wondering aloud. Not something I am pushing.

The others… their ‘proponen’s would have to answer themselve. Except #7 adding the grit didnt remove the paucity of good forwards.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll take ‘credit’ for #8.

I was floating a trial balloon, figured that nothing can be worse than Tomas Kaberle. The contracts cancel each other out, and I think Mike Komisarek would jump at the opportunity to leave Toronto and return to Montréal.

I can’t claim to be familiar with how Mr. Komisarek has fallen since he left, I never watch the Leafs. I understand he’s been a healthy scratch with Toronto. He does however have a skillset that we are missing, compared to Mr. Kaberle, whose skillset we already have plenty of with Yannick Weber, Raphaël Diaz and Andrei Markov.

• matt jordan says:

I think Mr. UnCErrant, that you are right in that possible trade scenario. I like the idea of trading Kaberle for Komisarek (a bunch of Leaf fans do as well ). You were also right when you blasted the Kaberle trade, every time.

Kaberle does suck, everyone can see it except a few Gauthier Apologists. So does Komisarek.

However, Komisarek and Kaberle both had their best years as a Canadien and Maple Leaf, respectively. Maybe they could recapture that magic. Maybe not.

Either way, the Canadiens have to spend money on a UFA to repair this brutal group of defenseman. Why not bring in a guy who had a few good seasons in Montreal as Andrei Markov’s partner, for a guy who’s remembered for being a joke of a trade under a lame previous regime.

It’s a better solution then keeping Kaberle on the third pairing and pairing him with Weber/Diaz again. That’s a Gauthier type proposition and the exact reason this team is in last place.

Canadiens need size and toughness, some fans can’t accept it for some reason.

41. ZepFan2 says:

@HabFab

I’m glad I could “direct” you to the Beatles. I’m just saddened you only heard of them now.

In the immortal words of Lennon; “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I …. I hope we pass the audition”. :smile:

Enjoy their music, there’s enough of it.

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Strummer says:

I’m a Beatles fan as well.
      There’s a big anniversary coming up ina couple of months.

On June 6, 1962 the Beatles went into the studio with George Martin and cut “Love Me Do”

Martin didin’t like the drummer- Pete Best- and eventually this led to him being replaced by Ringo.

Can’t believe it’s almost 50 effing years!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• ZepFan2 says:

Wow, I would have never thought you liked the Beatles, considering the Clash didn’t look to kindly on “phony Beatlemania”. :razz:

Time flies, eh?!

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Strummer says:

It had bitten the dust.
          Who do think punk rockers listened to growing up in England?
          Sonny & Cher?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• ZepFan2 says:

Haha

I thought you were about to post the lyrics to London Calling with your first line. :lol:

I hear this other band was not too shabby at the time as well. What was their name again? The Rolling Bones?? Something like that. :razz:

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Strummer says:

Even the Beatles were fed up with Beatlemania by ’66 and quit touring and did more experimentation.

Stones were no slouches either in the mid-sixties.

Of course neither were the Habs!

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• ZepFan2 says:

@Strummer

I loved the Beatles in their Beatlemania days, but I was bigger fan in their later days. Abbey Road is probably my fave album by them.

You had to bring up the ’60′s Habs. Now I’m sad.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• neumann103 says:

I think they were okay with real Beatlemania

“Et le but!”

• HabFab says:

Uh? I was listening to the Beatles before your father had any twinkle in his eye :) Well, at least ’63 is the first time I became aware of them. But you did send me off on a Beatles musical Magic Mystery tour today…thanks!

• ZepFan2 says:

“I was listening to the Beatles before your father had any twinkle in his eye”

Hah! I’m not too sure about that.

I was under the illusion you had just heard of the Fab Four. My bad!

“But you did send me off on a Beatles musical Magic Mystery tour today…thanks!”

No problem, I hope it brought back a few memories. :wink:

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• HabFab says:

I’m a rocker since forever but have various tastes. My top bands are Beatles, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and AC/DC.

• ZepFan2 says:

I can’t even list the bands I like, there’s too many.

All your picks are in mine. You forgot one very important band though. Pink Floyd.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• HabFab says:

I have found that Led Zep fans are generally not Pink Floyd or Deep Purple fans. I enjoy their music but love Zeppelin. Go figure!

• ZepFan2 says:

Yet I’m a BIG Zep fan (as I’m sure you’re aware of), but I love Floyd and I like Deep Purple. I am however sick of hearing Smoke on the Water as much as I’m sick of hearing Stairway to Heaven.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• punkster says:

Oh Frank, admit it. You were stuck in a Chubby Checkers rut throughout the 60s.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

42. sampson12 says:

Gionta on twitter:

“Couldn’t be more Happy or Prouder of my younger brother! Scoring his 1st NHL Goal. What a dream come true!!! #hardwork #perseverance.”

Brotherly love is cute.

I like Gionta a lot. He has a lot of great qualities that make him a good captain. He is a class act and you can never accuse him of taking a shift off. He is the definition of leading by example. He doesn’t need to speak up and be loud in order to lead, the younger players on the team take notice of his professionalism and they follow.

The production hasn’t been there lately, but I think if he’s put in the right situation next year and he’s healthy, he can at least get back to the 25-30 goal range as a second line winger.

I am also a huge Josh Gorges fan. We all know who this guy is now. No more calling him unsung. He’s a very hardworking, positionally sound, defenseman who is great on the penalty kill and has a world class attitude. I think he would make a great captain. In fact, I think he will be a great captain when Brian Gionta’s contract expires and Gorges becomes the obvious choice to take the ‘C’.

43. L Elle says:

Daughter’s Birthday.
    Boyfriend buys tickets to tonights’ game as present. Awwwwww.

I’m cheering for our team because I want the “kids” to enjoy themselves.

That’s my excuse, and I’m sticking to it!

44. 24moreCups says:

I hate the Leafs! I just want the Habs to come out tonight, play hard and win this last game so I can end the season with a smile on my face.

It’s going to be a interesting summer and I just can’t wait for next season to start.

45. Price07 says:

1. On the subject of the captaincy, I don`t really have a problem with Gionta, I like him, but I do like Gorges more for captain. I know none of us are in the room but it just seems like this guy is classic leader, he speaks up to guys on the bench (as marc denis has said several times while he is in his spot beside the bench) so I assume he`s one of the more vocal players. He works super hard, you can see that with his shot blocking (remember when he stopped one with his head), and it doesn`t even matter how many shots he blocks he just always works so hard despite the lack of top end talent. But doesn`t really matter to me, Gionta is fine too.

2. For the draft, we definitely need a forward, Yakupov is best but I assume we`re not getting the first pick, so its between the two G`s and Forsberg. I`m not convinced about Forsberg`s goal scoring ability but I`m not a pro scout. Also, other than Yakupov I think the other 3 won`t play next year in the NHL. I wouldn`t want to rush them up and ruin them anyway so I`d stay patient if thats best.

3. Lastly, I don`t understand why Emelin isn`t playing. Its the last game of the season, he`s gonna be back Campoli won`t why are you giving time to someone who will no longer be part of the team next year at the expense of someone who will?

• ABHabsfan says:

There is a middlin’ chance of getting Yak, NJD won the lottery last year from the 8th spot and moved up to 4th.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

46. Habshire says:

Brian Gionta’s younger brother scores for New Jersey to help beat Ottawa. Now Ottawa may wind up in 8th.

47. Chuck says:

Someone needs to start a “We Love Randy” chant at the game tonight.

___________________________________________________

48. habs001 says:

If anaheim,minnesota,carolina lose and leafs win toronto gets 8th pick …if rangers win and blues lose the canucks/oiler game is meaningless for the canucks…while we may wish the habs beat the leafs a lose may not be the worst result…

• ABHabsfan says:

I’d take a win over the Leafs on the last game of the season any day over a loss and the possibility of getting a 5% better chance of drafting a guy who may or may not be an NHL player in 3 years assuming he isn’t offered more money to play in another league.
      I hope the Habs hand ‘em their asses tonight.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

49. Lets be real Gorges isnt a Chara,Weber,Orr. type of defensemen.Sure hes great at blocking shots but ughhhh Hes OK at his other role of stopping forwards.I say we give the Big C to a guy who never complains never wines and is a great teammate a guy like Tomas Plekanec.

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

50. Un Canadien errant says:

Gary Galley needs to understand the difference between turning the puck over and causing or creating a turnover. I can interpret what he’s trying to say, but I shouldn’t have to. He’s getting paid to talk about hockey, he should do so in an intelligible, accessible manner.

How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

No Ryan White or Emelin tonight. Komi is in lineup for Leafs.

52. I listen to all this stuff on Gionta ….. cmon guys he didnt even play this year give the man a break!!!!!

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

53. nellis13 says:

I think it’s 50/50 Gionta gets traded. He’s got enough grit to make up for his size. I’d rather see him stay but I understand the temptation to trade him. He’s not over paid so there should be plenty of teams interested.

54. VancouverHab says:

New Coach, new GM: new captain. No brainer.

• Adidess says:

VancouverHab, it’s a no brainer to you, but I fail to follow the logic.

It’s pretty much the same group of players. Unless the case against Gionta is clearcut, you don’t just strip the captaincy away from him to give to somebody else because that other player has impressed you as one who could be captain.

Your no-brainer logic doesn’t work. Winnipeg Jets changed everything about their team last year (ownership, location, front office, coaches, name, jerseys), but they decided not to change the captain, Andrew Ladd. It seems to have worked for the players. I understanding why naming a new captain would be brought up after a disappointing season, but the guy has been injured for Pete’s sake. Why is changing captain a no brainer?

——————————————–

• Cal says:

Have to say bullsh!t. A captain doesn’t lose the captaincy to injury. That would be a totally classless move. Besides, Cherry’s an effing moron and listening to him and agreeing with him is akin to moronicide. Death by stupidity.

55. VancouverHab says:

Mike Boone using his pregame blogging post to agree with Don Cherry’s two main points on the Habs’ season?

That settles it: this season is entirely upside down.

56. Adidess says:

Realistically, you can’t strip the captaincy away from a player unless they do something unbecoming of their role as captain and completely embarrass the team (a la John Terry who presumably slept with the wife of a teammate on English national team). Or the captain himself agrees to recuse himself and makes way for somebody else (Luongo-Sedin).

The fact that some other player (Gorges or Cole) may have emerged as somebody who could make a good captain is not reason enough to make that change.

In my view, the case should be that Gionta himself has done something to deserve being stripped, not that others have done things to show they could be captains.

• HardHabits says:

Of course you can. Look at Marleau in San Jose. Besides. Who cares if it hasn’t been done or not. Trail blaze baby!

As for Gorges as captain. Meh. I prefer Cole. He’s the veteran in the room and the leader on the ice.

It’s not a question of stripping it from Gionta. IMO it is a case of giving it to the leader.

• Cal says:

Nice to know you have been in the room and know the dynamics there. Oh, yeah. Maybe not, right?

• HardHabits says:

I said veteran in the room. Maybe learn to read. But first take your head out your you know where.

• Cal says:

If you do likewise. From what I read of your posts, your head’s been there for years.

• HardHabits says:

Is that the best you can do? The old I know you are but what am I reply.

BTW. My head is clear in view where the sun shines. In your case, admitting your’s is where there’s no light is the first to step to rehabilitation.

Remeber Cal. I said veteran in the room. Leader on the ice. Nuances. Subtleties. Try focusing on something other than the rumbling of your bowels for a change.

• Cal says:

@HH- See? You prove your head is up your ass over and over. You urinate and defecate all over the team you profess to be a “fan” of. You are not. You’re just another a-hole with stupid opinions.
          Gionta is the captain. Good organizations do not strip their captains of that position because of an injury. Cole has done well this season. If he sucks next season, do we remove it from him, too?

57. The Jackal says:

One thing about Grigorenko or any other player we draft, do they make the team right away or will they be put in the AHL for a bit? Some of these guys are 17. I don’t know how the process works, but I think if they make the team right away we should play them on the third line with LL and Eller to start off, then let them develop from there. I think if we do that and find a winger for Pleks, then we have deeper scoring, and then we sign a Brian Allen type of guy (preferably him) to put with Kaberle or wheover else we have on the 3rd pairing, and I think we are a much better team already. Thoughts people?

58. 69HABS says:

I love the way Tortorella tells it like it is. He has won a Cup & will another one.

That is why the Habs need ROY ….

59. sreuel says:

At what time will Gomez be bought out

60. Strummer says:

What’s the consensus re: Grigorenko or Galchenyuk?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• pmaraw says:

as far as i can tell, there isnt one lol, i think generally grigo before galch

When has there been consensus here about anything?

• jo_maka says:

The knock on Grigs is defensive game (the kid is 17, let’s not go crazy), and work ethics (a.k.a. motivation). Give the kid a good environment, let him build some chemistry with the core. If Roy will be the coach then no other team in the league will be a better fit for him. Skills drip from his ears, big, he even hits. I mean, c’mon. He has to be properly coached is all.

Gally’s a dark horse. Disappeared a whole season, surgery for his ACL, even with all his upside he’s still a high risk. Might have hampered his development, meaning his impact may take a little longer were we to get him.

So, first Grigs. If gone then I guess management will send a very strong message: bold if they pick Gally, cautious if Forsberg, since he appears to have a lower ceiling.
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

61. Adidess says:

I have been a shameless tankster for the last 15 games or so, but losing to the Leafs tonight is not particularly important, in my opinion.

The oilers would have to win in Vancouver (no sure thing) for the loss to mean anything good for us. Let’s just win this one and try not to attract bad karma :)

28th place is bad enough, I think.

Gotta love these comments like, “no disrespect to Gionta, but Gorges should be captain”. So the people that say this poppycock, if last years roles are reversed and going into season Gorges has the C and gets injured as he does. Do all these same people strip him of his C?

I mean the what the HECK did GIonta do beside rip his bicep muscle to deserve being stripped of his captaincy.

Because that is what happens in order to give Gorges the C, you have to first strip it off Gionta. I can’t believe Boone is of the mindset as well that a good veteran like Gionta should be stripped of his manhood because the mancrush on Gorges is just so big.

• pmaraw says:

comparing the captaincy to his manhood? i’m cool with gio still, but thats a little silly

Okay you are right, that was too extreme, I just disagree with the phrase, no disrespect, when in fact it is disrespect, because they are saying Gionta should not be captain.

If indeed it turns out Gionta is a poor Captain, then fine I would hope the team makes a change. But Gorges is much younger than Gionta and will have time to become a Captain. But as far as I can tell Gionta seems like a pretty good choice. He does have 2 cup rings and was an integral part of those Cups.

Thanks for correcting me, I let my emotions go during my post.

• pmaraw says:

dont mention it, i love gio and cant see a captain swap while hes got it, but you never know. he wears that c on his heart, as well as his jersey and it shows in his play.

I think right now its simply an out of sight, out of mind thing going on. Okay, sure Gorges is blocking shots like a madman, in the same breath, Cole is flying both ways down the ice. neither, i feel, is cause to relieve Gio of the captaincy. Did Ottawa make Volchenkov their Captain?

• Cal says:

He blocks shots, you know. Hell, if that makes you a captain, why isn’t it Price, ffs?

• Mark C says:

It stuns me that so many people have such a strong opinion about something they know next to nothing about. How many of us know anything about each player’s leadership ability? How much do we know about how each player is respected by his teammates in the locker room?

63. Chuck says:

So… will Hab fans in attendance at the game tonight boo every Hab goal?

___________________________________________________

64. habs001 says:

The habs have to get more scoring help from their d next year..leafs have about 40 more points from their d…

65. RockinRey says:

Gionta was an okay choice if not the right one.

I was touting Gorges when they went a season without naming one. By most accounts during that time he had the respect of the room . He is an absolute gamer and team guy.

I hope he is around to see the Habs have success again.

and @Habsolutely. Boone never said anything about stripping him of the captaincy. He is simply saying he was the better choice. IN my opinion there are no guarantees anyone on this team comes back save for Cole, Subban and Price, Gorges.The rest are tradeable.

Try rereading what he said. The word strip never came up. It is implied that he was the better choice!!!

66. jo_maka says:

I don’t want us to lose, but I want the Weeds to get the loser point so Anaheim’s ROW will bump them out of lottery.

What do you think of this little nugget ?

_________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

67. Habsolutely says:

Beg to differ Boone. That would be extremely disrespectful to Gio. Put your money where your mouth is and the next time you or Stubbs or Hickey have a mic in front of Josh, ask him how he would feel about the team stripping Gio of the C and giving it to him. As I’ve said here before, something tells me the guys in the room have a lot more respect for their captain than some of you do. So what happens if we go with yours and Dons idea and next season someone on the Habs blocks more shots than Josh? We gonna strip Gorges of the C? It’s patently absurd and I would expect that from Cherry, but expect better from you.

• jols101 says:

Habsolutely, i agree u can’t strip Gio of the C, it would’nt sit well with the players or with Gorges in the room. It would make for unwanted tension in the dressing room.
      Having said that, the best solution is to trade Gionta when healthy. 33 or 34 years old, he still has some value but with each passing year the value diminishes.
      If this year has proven anything is the “smurf” approach does’nt cut it in the NHL. We already have DD and Gallagher is a great prospect. I think the forward core can handle having two 5″7″ guys at most and i think Gionta is the odd man out. Get something for him while he still has value….

Thanks! Agree 100%!!!

68. Price07 says:

Sorry but as a huge habs fan you gotta realize what`s best for the team and that is for us to lose and the oilers to win. Putting us in second to last position and giving us the best chance to improve what we need to improve so badly: our offense. Getting a big time offensive player is too expensive to do via free agency and not worth the price in terms of assets given up when you trade for one. You can always add second, third and fourth liners, stable defensemen via free agency and maybe even trade, but a number one goalie and top offensive players are best had through the draft and this is our big chance to do like we did when we drafted Carey Price, and really add an important blue chip prospect.

69. Ozmodiar says:

There are a lot of people who want to see the Habs draft a big 1st line center. Okay, fine. Makes sense.

Further, just about every time I see a proposed line-up, DD is centering the 2 best wingers – Max and Cole. Great stuff. Why break up our best line, right? Cool.

Here’s the thing to ponder. Long-term, who plays with the 1st line wingers? DD? The much anticipated, big, 1st line center? Do we know that either of these guys will be more effective than Pleks playing a secondary role (2nd line wingers, defensive zone draws, PK)? Is one of our centers moved to make room for the new recruit, and if so, will he be a sure-fire upgrade?

I’m not against drafting a center by any stretch, but it sure muddies the waters.

• Price07 says:

If you draft a center and he turns out to be what you want, that means you have either pleks, eller or desharnais as available trade bait to package in a deal for better wingers. There is no problem with adding another centre. But the bottom line is we need to add a scoring forward, which of the 3 forward position he plays is less of a worry to me.

The habs are a last place team in the east, yet they have the 5th best goals against in the conference. But they have one of the worst goals for in the conference. Clearly you can see where improvement is needed.

70. habs001 says:

the present roster even without injuries would struggle to score next year …cannot have 6-7 forwards that combine to score 12-20 goals

71. HabFanSince72 says:

If we win this one for Randy, the Leafs have a 5% chance at getting Yakupov. If we lose they will pick 7th or 8th.

Sorry Randy but you earned more this season than a nurse does in 20 years of difficult and emotionally demanding work, so I don’t feel bad for you.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Wonder if you received a promotion at your work and then a week later your boss apologized for hiring you, how you would feel. Or does a human beings dignity not count for anything, money cures all does it?

• The Jackal says:

Haha it’s true, I feel bad for players and coaches and GMs sometimes because of all the BS they have to take, but then when you realize what they are making and have a dream job, I don’t really feel bad anymore.

72. matt jordan says:

Cherry was right, ON ALL FRONTS.

Canadiens need more size, Gorges for captain, Price is the Man, and the way the Canadiens treated Cunneyworth is absolutedly pathetic.

• shootdapuck says:

Generally, every dog has its day!

His insight is inspirational!

Duh!

As usual!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

73. jols101 says:

I HATE the Leafs so much, I hope they WIN tonight…..

Worst Nightmare….The Habs get Grigorenko and The Leafs get Galchenyuk. Grigorenko becomes AK47 2.0 and Galchenyuk becomes the franchise, big, dominant number 1 center both teams have wanted forever. These 2 points would knock them out of contention for either guy…(unless they win the Lottery).

Off Topic…Go Freddie Couples…Green Jacket would look great on a 52 year old Legend…Get it done…I’ll be cheering for you

74. disgustedhabsfan says:

Hope we lose so that can possibly finish 9th.

75. Hobie Hansen says:

Let’s Go Blue Jays!

76. ABHabsfan says:

There was talk a week or so ago about whether, as a Hab fan, you would trade Komi for Kaberle. I say yes

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

He sure played a heck of a back 9. That Peter Hanson guy seems like a pretty nice humble guy. Always great watching The Masters.

78. Strummer says:

Hopefully the Tiger media circle-jerk will disperse.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Not sure that day is even close to upon us. But the media love having Phil as their next go to guy.

80. Strummer says:

you’ve obviously been drinking!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

81. punkster says:

Because they know Phil’s a lock for a train wreck at some point tomorrow.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

82. Un Canadien errant says:

That’s a fair point. I’d still strongly consider the trade though.

Also, Mr. Kaberle is untradeable, he might as well have the no movement clause.

83. habs001 says:

Komi has a no skills clause..cannot skate,shoot.terrible in his zone..poor eye hand coordination for a pro

84. 69HABS says:

Not the one from the Greem Mile … LOL …

Yah I remember JM saying that ;-)

86. Un Canadien errant says:

Because Tomas Kaberle is abysmal. I figure Mike can’t be any worse, but he’ll bring some size and toughness that we are missing.

I confess I haven’t seen Mr. Komisarek play much this year or last, but I’ll focus on him for this game. If he’s worse than Tomas Kaberle, I’ll admit it, and stop floating this trial balloon that you guys seem determined to shoot down.

87. punkster says:

Damn, he told me the same thing.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Was funny how during that conversation this was the only tidbit released to the public.

89. matt jordan says:

I am now excited to watch this game, the Kaberle vs. Komisarek matchup, who is worse?

Let’s find out.

90. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s the Klash of the Inept.

91. Un Canadien errant says:

You can sell it to the fans, if you show that you’re not trying to save money, you’re trying to plan for the future. We’re taking a step back to get a better running start.

92. matt jordan says:

It’ll only cost Molson nine million dollars to put Kaberle in the minors!

No wonder Gauthier was fired.

agree.

Road Trip!!!!

Like an Amex card, never leave home without them!

96. Mondou6 says:

I was watching Cassie… ;)

97. Psycho29 says:

I’m on a rotary phone…

98. danhabsfan says:

The way things are right now, the leafs should finish bottom 6th.

99. Duracell3 says:

Anaheim gets it. Leafs can’t even lose right.

100. Bob_Sacamano says:

Unfortunately Toronto, Anaheim has the better (or in this case) the worse goal differential.

101. Bigdawg says:

sure we will -> next period Komi to patches for 3-0!

LMAO! good one.

103. Mondou6 says:

You thought his Gretzky comments made sense?

104. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s psychological warfare. They did it to the Canucks last season, branded them as the most hated team in hockey, because they were talented and a threat. Got the refs and league and hockey world to swallow the big lie, and they were seen as divers and whiners undeserving of drawing penalty calls. They’re trying to do the same thing to the Penguins.

The reason Mr. Crosby and Mr. Malkin slash and crosscheck is that they have to to survive. They can play a clean skating game, but the NHL doesn’t allow them to.

105. Psycho29 says:

I know….they ended up in the wrong spot. I didn’t want to insult the wrong person…;-)

Gretzky’s first 3-4 years in the league he was a huge whiner, saw him many a night in winnipeg. No revisionist there at all.

107. Jdub1985 says:

Tiger Woods destroyed tomorrow’s ratings.

108. mb says:

Well, for my part I don’t watch or play golf, but I watch Alouettes games… But then there’s only one game a week. Looking forward to the draft, at least!

109. 24moreCups says:

I might be one of the few posters on here who can’t stand golf haha, it’s going to be a long summer.

110. Jdub1985 says:

do it in regulation for #2 draft pick

111. Jdub1985 says:

He already has

112. ZepFan2 says:

Hahahaha…Oh you’re serious…HAHAHA

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

113. punkster says:

By that logic we should sell Cole, Max, DD, Pleks, Price and Subban…now!

Do it Mr. Molson!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

114. Un Canadien errant says:

The point is moot anyway. He has a no-trade clause, and his kids love Montréal, so he’s staying.

115. Bigdawg says:

That trade deserves a medal.

Too bad Sh!t doesn’t hang!

116. montreal ace says:

not sure if you offered enough

117. mb says:

Good one! Really! … ‘Cause you were kidding, of course. …Right?

118. Duracell3 says:

Including Gomez would probably kill the deal from Anaheim’s perspective. Also they have no need for a Diaz type player.

119. 24moreCups says:

I’ve never actually played golf yet so I can’t say I actually hate it, I just find it so boring on tv just like Nascar. My uncles and my girlfriends brother in laws who are both hockey players(one in the NHL and one plays in Europe) all love to play golf so I’m always the odd man out.

Either way hope you enjoy it this summer, cheers!

120. twilighthours says:

Lost in 5 in ECF but yeah that’s it. Maybe the 100th anniversary game with all the old players skating around.

121. Duracell3 says:

Conference finals was 5 games; also if this lotto pick is with those, then the Price draft would be as well.

122. habstrinifan says:

Stop posting this please. You made your point.

123. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Moving to the Bell Centre was not a step up, a step to the side and one step back…moved from an arena to an opera house. A great deal was lost.

124. twilighthours says:

But you became a tanker in the end, didn’t you?

125. punkster says:

Pffft…Hanson looks good but I suspect someone from the back of the leaderboard will step up. Phil will try too hard and screw it up.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

126. The Jackal says:

Well lets hope you’re right

127. kempie says:

WTF was Gomez tonight? I guess he was busy. Guy gets outscored by Brad Staubitz. Pfffft. Yeah he’s a warrior.

128. 24moreCups says:

I hope he retires and go to play anywhere but with the Habs, I don’t care if he has a bounce back season or not. The money we’re spending could be put to better use else where.

129. Chuck says:

Uh, no.

___________________________________________________

130. habstrinifan says:

Yes better. For the simple reason that everybody now realizes (except a few stubborn adherents) that just making the play-offs year after year is not enough.

This high draft will not be what changes the Habs culture. Finishing close last is not the wake up call. It is the realization that to build a championship team takes a long term vision. Just scraping by with the hopes that anything can happen once you make the play-offs is not a recipe for winning a championship.

So yes. This is better. For now.

132. 24moreCups says:

I doubt they’re happy to be in last place. They won their last game in a horrible season in front of their home crowd and they have a lot to look forward to next season, I’m sure that’s why they have a smile on their face.

133. Un Canadien errant says:

What I meant is that he has so little value that he practically has a no movement clause. I was being facetious, playing on the fact that he is regarded so poorly in the league that he’s Typhoid Mary, nobody will touch him, clause in his contract or not.

I do understand what a no-trade clause and what a no-movement clause is.

134. Ron says:

Thats staying positive bud, keep plugging you never know what 6 months will bring.

135. boing007 says:

If they slash and crosscheck then they deserve a penalty like any other player. No favoritism, please.

Richard R