Liveblog: Coyotes beat Kings 2-0 in elimination game

Smith

Los Angeles hadn’t lost since Game 4 of the Kings’ opening series against Vancouver.
Shane Doan scored twice and Mike Smith made 36 saves to hang a goose egg on the Kings in their own building.
It was Smith’s third shutout of the postseason.
The Coyotes have been outshot in 13 of the 15 playoff games they’ve played.
But the Western Conference final is going back to the desert.

The Kings had not been shutout in these playoffs.

L.A.’s punchless power play went 0-for-6.

Feature on Jarred Tinordi

1. commandant says:

Jarrod Maidens, first round talent who is likely to slip in the draft due to questions about a major concussion he suffered in November.

How far will he fall? A really intriguing guy (and maybe worth a gamble since we have 4 picks in the top 63) because he’s the exact type of prospect the Habs really need.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

commandant, you have to stop. All these kids you profile seem so good, I want to have them all on my team. Nice job.

As far as this kid, the Erik Cole clone, yes please. I can imagine this song playing at the New Forum when he goes on a rampage down the wing.

———————————
      In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• commandant says:

The thing to remember is that none of these guys are “clones” of who I compare them too, but rather that is the ceiling I put on their potential.

Not many prospects actually reach their ceiling, and many will bust before that. Just look at Andrei Kostitsyn for an example. The sky was the limit on his ceiling when he was drafted, but while he’s a good player, he never reached the lofty heights we hoped he could.

As for Maidens, the first issue he’s gonna have to contend with is that nasty concussion. After that he’ll need to get past the lost year of development, and put some weight on that frame, but if he can do those things (and continue to grow as a player) someone will get a good player. Its the what ifs, and the risks, that will force him down the draft board, and keep him out of the first round.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Stev.R says:

I want Skjei, Matteau or Matheson. A goalie with our third pick, and Bussieres with our 3rd rounder.

I think we need to start drafting guys that will be bottom 9 forwards. We tend to draft top 6 players who don’t have the scoring ability to play in the top 6 so we then throw them on the 3rd and 4th line, where they aren’t effective because they aren’t shutdown players. They don’t know how to play that role. Bussieres is a solid 3rd line prospect. Skjei is a solid bottom 3 prospect. Good guys to go after.

2. Adidess says:

@UCE,
    I think you’re being too hard on yourself on this count. Whether the Head Scout is allowed to speak for the organization in the media isn’t right or wrong. It’s a matter of leadership/communications style for a team front office person. I prefer a more open structure where everyone is allowed to deploy their wings in their own capacity, but there isn’t one best way for organizations to be successful anymore. If you think the GM should be the voice of the organization and be the one who speaks officially on its behalf, one may disagree with the approach, but it’s nothing to apologize for. It’s not like you said ‘Pierre Gauthier was the most successful GM in the history of the NHL’. That would have been somewhat factually incorrect -), and you’d be expected to apologize for it. This one was a view on whether it was acceptable for a GM to monopolize the spotlight since he is the one ultimately accountable for decisions. Many organizations (not the least of them) are run this way, so it’s not technically wrong. Changing your mind about this is also no big deal.

Now since you’re in a good mood, maybe I can get you to admit that François Gagnon’ article ‘Échanger Subban: pourquoi pas’ was actually about trading Subban and what benefits the Habs could get from doing it …!? (cheap smile)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Adidess. Please be sure that my tongue is firmly planted in cheek when I flagellate myself thus, so I’m not being that hard on myself after all.

I still think that both communications strategies have value, but what the posters decried last June, and they were proven right, was that Mr. Gauthier was micro-managing, behaving in an imperious manner, and was clipping the wings of those in what should have been his entourage. In this they were proven right. Since he was let go, we were told the Ottawa cookie story, the fact that his players feared/detested him, the Mike Cammalleri game-worn jersey story, the knee-jerk quality to some of his decisions, instead of a committee approach… I defended his management style as nothing to worry about, as an accepted business practice. The detractors were proven right that this behaviour was symptomatic of something fundamentally wrong with his management style and his persona. I wanted to come forward and admit that.

As far as the François Gagnon article, I agree that’s what it was about. I thought Mr. Gagnon brought forward a cogent argument that trading P.K. Subban might be the only feasible way to obtain that big #1 centre everyone was clamouring for. I also still think that, as I advocated last winter, packaging P.K. and Andrei Kostitsyn to try to pry Shea Weber out of Nashville would have been a good move.

I like P.K. as a person, love the videos of him hanging with his family and his YouTube workouts, love the athleticism and work ethic, love the flashes he shows, but I’m not convinced as so many other fans that he’s a surefire Olympic Team defenceman/Norris Trophy winner/Hall of Famer. He has huge potential, but some big red flags too, just as his scouting report coming out of junior described.

We’ve had guys like that before, like Andrei or Pierre Larouche, guys with lots of talent and promise but maybe not the mental makeup to achieve greatness. P.K. can get there, he can be our generational #1 D, like Larry Robinson or Chris Chelios were, but he’s no slam-dunk. If we flipped him for Shea Weber, that guy is a slam dunk, he’s there already, he’ll play 25 minutes a game, PP, PK, dominate both ends of the ice, show toughness, leadership. That’s why I argued that we should look into trading him. I still kind of do, although at the end of the season I saw dramatic improvement, and am no longer at my wit’s end about him. I hope he settles down and delivers on what we all dream he can.

3. habstrinifan says:

Am I a sour puss for not seeing the humour re the Tie Domi cracks. I think Tie Domi was an honest blue collar-worker type in the league. If you were on his team, you knew you could count on him having your back.

Having played team sport at the national level, albeit 3rd world country, I never put down people who play like Domi did. Although in the heat of a game I would cuss at him as a fan or as a player.

• commandant says:

If Domi was a hab we would love him. Very much like Chris Nilan who we do love.

Its cause he was a Leaf that we mock him.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris Nilan and Tie Domi, apples and oranges. The first was a noble warrior and decent hockey player who didn’t look out of place next to Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey. The latter was an irredeemable goon who polluted the NHL for far too long. Completely different players. One wore a beautiful bleu-blanc-rouge, the other a lifeless blue jersey. Can’t believe you’d equate the two.

• commandant says:

Tie started as a pure goon, nothing more, who couldn’t play the game, but he was a guy who really worked hard to improve his skills.

He eventually got to the point where he had three seasons of double digits in goals, including 15 goals in 2002-03, and finished his career with over 100 career goals.

I know we hate him because of the jersey, and what it represents, but if he played his career in Montreal he’d be a beloved figure here instead. He’s the type of guy you hate on an opponent, but you love if he’s on your team.

As for his kid, he’s got way more natural talent than the old man ever had, and I’d take him as a Hab if the draft falls that way next year.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• habstrinifan says:

I have to say I am surprised at the black and white (or should I say red and blue) nature of yor evaluation. I find your posts to be usually very balanced but you absolutely deny Tie Domi any credit for his career.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I do deny him any credit trinifan, I’m constitutionally unable to recognize Tie Domi for anything except mindless goonery. I did though try to joke about it and poked fun at myself, hinting at commandant’s suspicion that if he had been wearing the right jersey things might be different.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sorry trinifan, but Tie Domi, along with Darcy Tucker and Wade Belak, represented all that is wrong with hockey when he played. I hated the amount of press he got compared to his contribution to the sport we love. I hated when he got a thankfully short-lived analyst job at TSN, I was one of the cranks who deluged them with emails stating I’d stop watching if he was on the air. I already avoid Sportsnet because of Nick Kypreos.

So I get what you’re saying, but it’s hard for me not to dislike him personally.

• shootdapuck says:

As far as being “one of the cranks” you were not alone.

Reckon I sent as many complaints to TSN re Domi as I have to the CBC for their blatant homerism wrt. the LAFFS and of course Milbury, Maclean, Cherry and Cole!

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

4. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, so relatively recently, I stepped forward, in the name of HIO poster accountability, whereby one’s opinions are attached to oneself and one must defend them or repudiate them when they are demonstrated to be false, and admitted to having offered an opinion on this forum that was not as bang-on as practically everyone of my other posts. It was a trifling matter, not a big deal at all, I’ve held my personal glasnost on this matter, everyone else was allowed to Air their Grievances, we’ve moved on since then, and we’re all better friends for it.

I am now moved to attend to another matter. After last year’s draft, many posters decried Pierre Gauthier’s organizational decision that he would speak to the media about the draft, not Trevor Timmins. These posters stated that this was Mr. Timmins’ one opportunity to shine each year, and he was the most well equipped to speak on the prospects that were chosen by the Canadiens, so that to prevent him from doing so was a disservice to him and the team.

I took the opposite view. I have worked in many organizations where the policy is that only the President or his designates or the person ultimately responsible on scene is allowed to speak to the media. This ensures that the organization can shape its message and that it speaks with a united voice. Right or wrong, this practice is familiar to me, so it didn’t faze me that Mr. Gauthier would decree that the Canadiens would function that way. I argued that his head was on the chopping block if these decisions don’t pan out, so he should be the one to speak for the organization. It made sense to me at the time.

I now officially retract that statement, and concur with the others that Mr. Timmins should be allowed to speak on matters of the draft and the team’s prospects. Marc Bergevin’s way of doing business, of decentralizing decision-making and of allowing subordinates to spread their wings is a much preferable climate than Mr. Gauthier’s now-revealed Reign of Terror.

So I was wrong on that count. That’s two that I’ll admit to. I kind of forget what was the first one, maybe I’ve blocked it out. We do what we can to preserve our self-image.

As far as the love for Mr. Timmins tonight, I agree that he’s shown a good eye for talent, but what has me even more excited is the statement by Mr. Bergevin that he will beef up the scouting team, and Mr. Molson’s assertion that the team will not spare any effort or resources to win. Taken together, this is a very positive development.

We sometimes pine for the days of Sam Pollock, for a wizard who would routinely pull a rabbit out of a hat, and would outfox other organizations. Those days are over, we won’t be able to fool other teams as we have in the past, there is too much available info out there for us to rely on that to succeed. What we can do is build a solid organization, with strong teams in the scouting and player development areas. We can have young lieutenants getting their feet wet and being groomed to take over if the next Guy Boucher or Julien Brisebois is cherry-picked by another organization. With these strong management teams, what we can do is outwork the other teams, and ensure that we get the best prospects possible and then give them all the advantages they need to reach the NHL and contribute to our next great dynasty.

• commandant says:

Agreed, great post.

This is why I love the Bergevin hire, and Rick Dudley too. Its been said before, other GMs and AGMs may be able to match these two, but no one will out work them. No one will get to more arenas and watch more hockey games than these guys. And thats a great thing to have, and add to Trevor Timmins who does such a great job.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shootdapuck says:

Say Hey on those thoughts!

Bergevin and Dudley will indeed outwork their rivals hopefully with immediate effect in the late rounds of the amateur draft!

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

5. habstrinifan says:

Great seeing the HABS prospects in the Memorial Cup.

In my humble non-expert opinion I see the following re near readiness.

1) Bournival seems most ready for the NHL. He makes good plays, has size, impacts the game every second he is on the ice. If you watch him I think he is better than say Louis LeBlanc already.

2) Tinordi .. tonight he was less conspicuous. He has grown a lot this year in confidence .

3) Ellis … very difficult to rate right now because of the complexity of his game.

4)Beaulieu… fast and exciting but very far away regardless of what the Francois Gagnons think.

As far as team needs and therefore best chance to make the ream.. my pick is Tinordi.

But if Bournival comes to camp and shows the same type of readiness in his game… I wont be surprised.

Wasnt Bournival an injured absentee from last year’s camp?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the recap. I haven’t been able to watch the games, somehow Sportsnet promised a livestream but I’m not able to find it.

Anyone else out there have any luck with a feed?

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hmm… so I’m not the only one who wasn’t able to find it. The webpage itself indicates that this feed should be present somewhere on the page, but maybe it’s locked to certain regions or something.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, out here on the West Coast there was no link to click on, no mention of it, contrary to their earlier press release. Wonder if it’s a rights issue or technical problem.

6. habstrinifan says:

WOW! I sign on kinda bored and two clips on Timmins. Thanks to L. Elle and Commandmant.

Glad you posted the links.

Man it feels so good being a habs fan now.

7. FanCritic says:

if Bergervin makes the mistake of hiring the wrong coach,the Habs will be doomed from the get go. it won’t matter what player moves they make. the coach is the main man. we’ve seen this movie before.

• habstrinifan says:

The season may be doomed but I think the HABS rejuvenation will still be on right track. But YES YES YES…. he needs to hire the right coach or combination of coach/assistant coaches.

8. commandant says:

For Timmins physique, just remember he’s a guy who has done some amateur bodybuilding.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

9. habsfanforever7631 says:

Cats win 6-2 in a wild finish!

10. frontenac1 says:

London Knights on the bench punching a guy on the ice! Naughty Boys!

11. habsfanforever7631 says:

holy deyem!

12. Stev.R says:

This is probably the most important video of Timmins on the internet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1FCb1qRxHM

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Great link. I have seen people do those firemen drills at the Y. They are killers.

Timmins looks tough. Maybe Gomez should stick picture of Timmins on his wall.. in his bounce back attempt.

Imagine walking into Timmis office and saying “you’re fired”. Could be dangerous if he flies off the handle.

13. habsfanforever7631 says:

@L Elle
    Thanks for the linnk man.
    Waw I never herd an interview with Timmins.
    He seems like a smart and funny guy!
    Times are changing with MB!

14. frontenac1 says:

Catararactes up 5-2. Nice for hometown crowd!

15. habsfanforever7631 says:

Man, Gormley is real good!
    they always give him the puck on the PP!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Coyotes will have a very good backend in the future with Ekmund-Larsson and Yandle already. I think they also got a guy named Rundblad from the Senators who is supposed to be a good D prospect.

16. frontenac1 says:

Wow!Great Tilt! I love the bell ring before they start swinging!!

17. habsfanforever7631 says:

So who is more of the defensive coach, Hartley or crawford?

18. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Timmins is very good at evaluating talent. His track record speaks for it self. I wouldn’t want to lose him..

19. habsfanforever7631 says:

In addition to Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, lets also not forget Dietz and Pateryn, they might be long shots but still, are dmen in the future are looking great!

20. L Elle says:

Timmins free of PG at last.

• jols101 says:

Thanks for that link, it was a great listen.
      Funny how what you think a person will be and what that person is can be so far off.
      Been a huge Habs fan for 30 years but have never saw or heard Timmins speak. Not sure why but i was expecting a balding, hat wearing, over weight, cigar smoking 65 year old man.
      Obviously Timmins is none of those things…seems like a great guy with a keen sense for picking great prospects. Tx again for the link…

• Boomer says:

Awesome link L elle!!!
      Cheers
      I’m happy Timmins has the green light to do interviews

21. naweed235 says:

I pisses me off so much when I see the french media, specifically RDS and Antichambre talk about the next coach being either of Hartley, Roy, Therrien or Carboneau… What makes them so sure of the fact that man will be a francophone? Did MB say specifically that he will be french? Because as far as I recall all he said was he will find the best man for the job and French only would be a factor if the 2 best candidates are equally qualified…
    This whole language stupidity might be one of the major causes of having some less than average coaches in MTL in the last 15 years or so…

• HFX-HabFan says:

Ken Dryden said it best, does the team want to win, or just be French

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s clear to everyone that the next coach will speak French. The team have made it clear.

And, although I personally don’t think it matters, why would the team put itself thought the Cunnyworth debacle again?

Your point about language leading to us appointing poor coaches is difficult to support. Look at francophone Habs coaches since Bowman. Lemaire, Perron and Demers have their name on the trophy. Pat Burns was one of the best coaches of the last 20 years. Therrien, Vigneault, and Julien all made it to a game 7 of the finals. That leaves Carbo, Martin and Tremblay. We don’t know what the future holds for Guy, and Tremblay sucked independently of language. Martin was a legit hire at the time.

In short, the language issue has not led the Habs to appoint poor coaches, with the sole exception of Tremblay.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

You are only half right.

You are not admitting that WITHOUT the language requirement the POOL from which was made those qualified choices that you identified would have been BIGGER. And thus those ‘qualified choices’ may have been superseded in a ‘larger pool’.
        And thus language did limit the ‘quality’ of choices.

To argue otherwise is, dare I say, being dishonest.

“Quite on the contrary, the Habs have been a veritable coaching stable for the rest of the league. I don’t think another team has developed this much coaching talent since 1980.”

This statement could be used to present the argument that we take coaches with potential and train them so therefore at the time of hire they are ‘under qualified’.

• habstrinifan says:

You are walking with blindfolds if you dont think the coach will be French speaking. You may want to discount all the media reports which are the reason why all the names you mentioned are constantly appearing as ‘the coach’. But I bet you in the end it’s one of those guys… including Crawford and maybe Vigneault(if he isnt really resigned with Vanc.)

We are stuck with the language requirement. And I dont use the word ‘stuck’ negatively. What we should hope for is that Bergevin has accepted the french requirement as a fact and not a hindrance.. and starting from there he is evaluating the best person who can speak French and has also great credentials for the JOB AS IT STANDS NOW.

Crawford for instance may be the perfect fit NOW and Roy NOT…or the other way around. So Bergevin’s task is to define the type of coach the organization needs NOW and pick from that limied field of candidates who speak French. Period!

His biggest impact as a GM therefore is answering the question’ “what type of coaching staff best suits the HABS NOW”. The question “does he speak French” is already answered affirmatively.

Maybe he has a candidate we havent heard of .. but that person WILL speak French.

22. msourtzinos says:

The one thing i am upset about is that we lost a very good defenseman in Ryan McDonaugh because of Gainey and Pierre Gauthier for Scott Gomez it is such a shame. I hope they get rid of him as soon as possible just so the team can get the respect they had and learn in the future.

23. JIMVINNY says:

So of the four Habs prospects at the tourney, 2 are captains of their teams, one is an assistant, and the other was the captain of his former team. Says a lot about the character of the guys Timmins has gone after.

24. habsfanforever7631 says:

2 quick goals, Cats score short handed, then London scores on the PP, 3-2.

25. JIMVINNY says:

So Bergevin is at the Memorial Cup. So is Bob Hartley. Wonder if we’ll be getting an announcement in a few days?

26. frontenac1 says:

LOL! The Domi”s and Evolution! The Missing Link?

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Max Domi looks human. Put Tie and him next to each other and they will look like one of those funny pictorial representations of evolution.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Now Ellis is defending on the 5 on 3. Doing well too.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

Ellis is our most consistently underrated prospect. This kid is only slightly below the level of Tinordi/Beaulieu IMO. He’s gonna make the NHL and be a good one too.

He looks like an absolute steal.

I think between Tinordi, Ellis, and Gallagher, we are gonna look at the 2010 draft as some of Timmins’ best work. (plus the trade for Bournival just a few months later).

And lets not count out MacMillan yet either, nice Freshman year at UND for him.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

29. jols101 says:

Tinordi was a Beast on that 5 on 3 Penalty Kill. He will be Hal Gill with much better mobility and a mean streak. I love this guy. Hope we don’t have to waite too long to see him with the big club…

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Tinordi played 2 min on the 5 on 3. Looking good.

Cats scored after the pen expired and a London player sucker punched Bournival. No pen.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

31. jedimyrmidon says:

Nice shot by Gormley.

32. JIMVINNY says:

Shawinigan 5 on 3; 3 habs prospects on the ice at the same time.

33. Stev.R says:

I don’t watch jr hockey often, but isn’t cataractes an eye infection?

• boing007 says:

It is if you drop the e.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• HabFanSince72 says:

. Clouding of the lens. Still not desirable for a hokey team.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

En français, a ‘cataracte’ is a whitewater stretch of river, some swift rapids. They adopted this as the team name in recognition of the importance of logging and hydro-electricity in the town’s history.

34. Stev.R says:

I have never been a big fan of Doan, but he looks like a guy who could make a difference. Like Cole.

Since any team that needs a winger will probably be going after Parise or Semin, I think we should go after Doan to play with Pleks and Gio. If we could get him for 3 years I think we should. We got a lot of youth that could use time in the minors and having Doan would take pressure off them.

I’m sure PHO will go hard to resign him.

35. chemic says:

is there any other live stream for the memorial cup out there instead of sportsnet.ca? quality is fine but the ankle is a bit curious for an tv coverage..

36. solomio says:

I heard on the radio 4 names being mentioned as being the front runners for the coaching job.
    They were Michel Therrien, Patrick Roy, Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley(?)
    Boy o boy talk about slim pickins!
    Lets face it Therrien – no way.
    Patrick Roy…is only in it for himself ( not the team ). No NHL experience as a coach etc., etc.,
    Leaves Hartley and Crawford…. yuk.
    Tell you the truth I’d rather see Carbo back than those guys with Cunneyworth and Larry Robinson behind the bench with him.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

37. shootdapuck says:

Did Brown, Stoll or King play today?

38. frontenac1 says:

I like the”Chipmunk on Benzedrine”analogy better.

39. Lizardking89 says:

lol
    “Psychological analysis from P.J. OK, time to shut this sucker down.”

• shootdapuck says:

“Watching PJ try to talk psychology is like watching a chimp trying to do calculus.”

A wild chimp not one of the city store bought ones!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

40. frontenac1 says:

Way to go Yotes!!Congrats to Homeboy Smitty!(The Pride of Verona)! ARRooooooooooo!

I am hoping the Kings win this series but I am glad they didn’t sweep it.

42. Lizardking89 says:

Well apparently all the talking heads were wrong and the Yotes have life.

• shootdapuck says:

Again!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

43. shootdapuck says:

Is that a kid or a female pensioner from Pasadena screaming “go Kings Go” on the PA?

44. Psycho29 says:

Happy 72nd Birthday Stan Mikita!

• habstrinifan says:

Best man on man hitting game I saw with no cheap hits and no fighting was a game where Gainey and Mikita kept leveling each other with some huge hits. Neither asked nor gave an inch.. and no cheap shot from either.

45. shootdapuck says:

Commandant, it was Ice Edge, Mathew Hulsizer and Reinsdorf.

• commandant says:

Thanks.

Tough to keep track of all the “prospective buyers”

I think even if they do get a buyer, he’ll have a sweetheart deal with the arena, and the ability to break the lease and move within 5 years. Hockey in Glendale just doesn’t work.

They were selling tickets to game 2 for $25 each.

Bulldogs Regular Season tickets are more expensive than that.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shootdapuck says:

Where? I tried to get anything and all that was available was nosebleeds at 58 per.

Stubhub or scalpers dumping tickets online no more is relevant than buying from a scalper 10 minutes after the opening faceoff outside the Bell Center for 50 bucks.

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• commandant says:

I’m not sure where they were looking but that was the radio reports I was hearing on my way home from work.

They were saying they were a last minute reduction on the tickets that hadn’t sold.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shootdapuck says:

More ill informed propaganda ex TSN/RDS.

=================================================
            The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
            “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

46. HabsFanMTL says:

i sure hope we don’t hire carbo again , i remember one of his last after loss conferences where when asked what he plans on doing now after the losing streak, Guy looked around at everyone blinking and saying ” i really don’t know ” , he looked rattled and had no answer to give . I’d rather go for either Vigneault or i’d bring back Michel Therrien

• The Cat says:

I like honesty more than a ‘must-give-answer-politician-style’. When youve tried everything, what can you do? Kinda like when Boudreault got asked after getting Halaked in game 6 -what could he do to get more ready for game 7?

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Roy and Radulov? I’m in board baby!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shootdapuck says:

Figures!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• The Cat says:

Id say yes as well, just for the explosive drama. Itll take the habs soap opera to a whole other level!

48. twilighthours says:

Man I hate “good goal.”

Give me an example of a bad goal.

49. joeybarrie says:

Brooks talking about Radulov.
    Taking the 3rd draft pick, and signing Radulov would drastically change our outlook for next season.
    While the kid may be a bust, what’s the worst that can happen taking a gamble on him? How much can he possibly sign for?

50. twilighthours says:

Bob cole called that one right away

• shootdapuck says:

One out of how many misses!

Boob is way off reality!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

51. Psycho29 says:

Lanny McDonald was offside!!!

52. JIMVINNY says:

When LA slashes Smith, the refs sends them to the box, along with the phoenix defender for roughing for defending his goalie. When Doan goes after a loose puck, they call it slashing, and don’t send an LA player for retaliating, even though Doan was getting mugged. WTF?

• shootdapuck says:

LA has been granted the “bruins status” for this years playoffs by the NHL.
      They have free run in the crease with no downside and are allowed all cheapshots they want in the scrums.

And Chris F Lee and Kevin F Pollock have been deemed competent enough to call the conference finals.

Strange how the two most useless officials are getting pumped up!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

53. shootdapuck says:

Boone, any martinis wrapped around those olives?

54. shootdapuck says:

Normand,

Let’s hope like hell that Larry Brooks is totally wrong on both counts!

Radulov in Montreal? Thought that the floaters were being cleaned out not reacquired!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I was just posting what I was reading which might have been of interest to the HIO community. It wasn’t an endorsement on my part of signing Alex Radulov. I am on record though that Patrick Roy should be our next coach, and based on the other candidates bandied about, this opinion is only getting more firm.

55. shootdapuck says:

What the hell happened to the vaunted HNIC technical group?

Did not see much of the end of the period but saw a few seconds of the Russians getting medals!

56. Psycho29 says:

I thought somebody was changing channels on me

57. ZepFan2 says:

“My CBC video fee went briefly berserk”

Did yours switch over to IIHF final? It was as if my TV was being taken over.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

58. Boomer says:

Emelin is bringing a gold medal back home with him :)

59. shootdapuck says:

Boob Cole almost missed that goal!

60. JIMVINNY says:

Bob Cole is a complete moron.

61. frontenac1 says:

Hey,go easy on Boone! The poor guy is inside,doing his job so we can be outside following on our wireless devices.I for one give him Two Thumbs Up! I appreciate it Boone! Cheers and Hola!!

62. shootdapuck says:

Careful Normand, the chance of getting a non-biased report on anything to do with the Coyotes from any source in Canada is unlikely!

The media have all jumped on the same bandwagon and recirculate the same half truths.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just providing some context to the conversation shootdapuck. I do bow before your local knowledge though as pertains to all matters Phoenix Coyotes and Glendale Arena. I just know, or rather think I know, what I read.

• shootdapuck says:

Normand, nobody wants to shoot the messenger!

Especially the articulate one!

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

63. Un Canadien errant says:

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks, John Tortorella’s favourite reporter:

“If Patrick Roy becomes coach of the Canadiens, Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin likely would inquire about Alexander Radulov, the Nashville winger who is an impending restricted free agent, and who won the Memorial Cup playing for Roy’s QMJHL Quebec Ramparts in 2005-06.

Radulov, who does not fit the model as designed by Predators’ coach Barry Trotz, recorded 152 points (61 goals, 91 assists) playing for Roy in what was the Montreal legend’s first year behind the bench.”

64. Un Canadien errant says:

Good writeup on Jared Tinordi, and also on other players in the Memorial Cup who have fathers who played in the NHL.

65. shootdapuck says:

Oh boy Mr “pinwheel” is back!

And Boob Cole too !

What a Sunday!

66. commandant says:

Is this the last game for the NHL owned Coyotes? Will there be a new owner for next year? Or is the latest rumor just another mirage (there have been a few of those)?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

67. HabFanSince72 says:

A little game for a Sunday.

List something that annoys you slightly more than the fact that there is a live blog today.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

68. Boomer says:

Congrats to PLeks on his bronze medal at the worlds

69. Kristopher7 says:

PrimeTime, get a life. I barely have enough time in the day to wake up, go to work, get home, make dinner, do all the usual things arOund the house, then, watch some hockey and pass out.

If you really have such “empty days”, don’t dump on Mr. Boone and HIO. Go pick up a hobby you whining malcontent.

70. rhino514 says:

O.k. my first comment on the whole coaching situation; there is no one I am in love with but I do think Vigneault is the most qualified for the position of coach of the montreal canadiens, probably by far. I Have no idea if he is staying in Vancouver, though.
    I also kind of like Carbo, I think his heart is really with this team and alot more experience, but I think has virtually no chance to captain this same ship again.
    I feel that, most of all, the team needs someone who commands respect, someone whom the team won´t bail on after the first couple of slumps. Someone who can keep the player´s respect for more than a season or two.
    It´s easy to ride a good team for a year (see Carbo) but ultimately RESPECT is what keeps the players breaking their necks for you every season. I don´t see anyone out there who strikes me, as far as this goes. But I do have a feeling Bergevin and the organization are doing everything possible to find this person.
    Let´s hope that a couple of years down the road we are pleasantly surprised.

71. habsfanforever7631 says:

Tinordi, Bournival, Ellis, its gonna be great!
    Lol yestorday there was more comments on the Memorial cup then the Rangers game!

72. PrimeTime says:

Really?? Another Live Blog? Because yesterdays was such a success? From what I saw last night there were more comments about the Knights game long after the 50 comments about the NYR win. HIO getting a little desperate?? Give it a rest already! Or at least give the news starved Hab fans a little TMZ work…….should be good for more speculation and rumours to enjoy their empty days. I love how MB is leaving everyone in the dark!

• ZepFan2 says:

Why do you care if there’s a blog or not? It seems to piss you off to no end and it confuses me as to why.

If it pisses you off so much, just ignore it and do your thing.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re acting as if the Liveblog is an imposition on you, that you have to participate. Consider it an item on the vast array that is the HIO menu that you choose not to sample.

Kudos to Mike Boone for spending another afternoon in his Batcave for our edification. And boo to the NHL for their weekend scheduling.

Bring on the Memorial Cup game.

• Lizardking89 says:

Stop pissing and moaning. Ty Boone for all the hard work you do. This guy is definitely in the minority and needs to get a F’ing life. Go Bitch and moan someplace else.

73. commandant says:

Shawinigan vs London tonight.

I’m more excited about that game than watching LA destroy Phoenix again.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

74. durocher says:

This explains it, Gainey was drunk:

“I was at a sports banquet in New York and ended up sitting beside (former Habs GM Bob Gainey) and asked if he was looking for a centreman. I knew he was,” said Rangers GM Glen Sather, who didn’t think Gomez’s whopping contract, which he signed as a free agent, was an impediment.

“Everybody is moveable in this business. You just have to find the right partner. Not everybody sees players the same way.”

75. ZepFan2 says:

First and soon to be last.

It’s a good day for a sweep!

———————————————————————-