Liveblog: Devils 2 – Kings 1, final goes back to L.A.

Marty

We’ve got a series.
L.A. finally loses a road game in the playoffs.
And game 6 goes Monday night at the Staples Centre.

The great Martin Brodeur made 25 saves – nine in the third period as L.A. poured on the pressure. The kings hit the post three times.

The Devils have beaten L.A. as often as Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix combined.

Jonathan Quick had not lost two in a row since March 26.

Has a seed of doubt been planted in the minds of the erstwhile playoff juggernaut?

• Good reading: A nice piece by Bill Simmons on his daughter’s love affair with the Kings

1. Sir.Plekers says:

Go ukraine tommorow. NUFF SAID

SIR PLEKERS

2. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS via tweeter; Taylor Stevens will be behind Devils bench again. Deboer: “We won last time she was there. I’ll buy her a ticket if we can do that again.”

3. habstrinifan says:

Anyone knows the track record of Hockeyy Insiderr on Twitter. Note the spelling.

This is his introduction to himself on Twitter:

Worked for 4 NHL teams. Many contacts within the league. Collaborateur sur Vestiaire.ca Remain anonymous. Trade breaker.
    Montreal

This is what he’s been tweeting:

Hockeyy Insiderr‏@HockeyyInsiderr

Une source me mentionne que Subban est plus disponible que jamais! Si la BONNE offre se presente, il pourrait changer d’addresse. #Canadiens

1h Hockeyy Insiderr‏@HockeyyInsiderr

#Habs fans: As of right now, Subban is as AVAILABLE as he will EVER be. IF the right deal comes along, he could be moved! #Canadiens

Hockeyy Insiderr‏@HockeyyInsiderr

Bergevin aurait offert Subban aux #Oilers pour le 1er choix au repechage. EDM accepte pas, mais les negos se poursuivent #HABS #Canadiens

4. commandant says:

Hockeyinsiderrrr, Creasy, El_Cloun, etc… these guys are all frauds. You are best to block them on twitter and not bother reading and reposting their crap.

They are all teenage kids living in their parent’s basement.

If it doesn’t come from someone like Bob McKenzie, or another legit proven source, its not worth listening to.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

5. Dryden_29 says:

Twitter rumour from ‘Hockey Insidder’…Subban to Edmonton for 1st pick this year…negotions ongoing….just a rumour though at this time.

6. youngwun says:

Anyone here about subban being available? Just heard this.

• Hali_Hab says:

I have heard that for the past year. and i call b.s. .. i cant see why they habs would give up on a potential top 2 d man when he is only 21 or 22.. makes no sense

• punkster says:

Well, he is single and I suppose if you’re interested…hey, to each his own I say.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFanSince72 says:

This would be in the trading Chris Chelios or John Leclair range of risk.

A new GM would be insane to do that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

What if some of the reflections of posters here that Subban is gonna find it hard under MT is also the perception of Subban and his ‘advisors’. And what if, despite the nicey nicey things he is saying re MT, Subban ha stold his agent that he would ‘prefer’ not to resign here with this regime.

And what if MB and MT have decided that they better cut bait and trade him…. make him available.

a) who would be ‘upset’ at Subban.
      b) not a totally improbable scenario.. ha shappened before.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…t’was thinkin’ similar Trini

_________________________________________________________
        Michel Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
        _________________________________________________________
        HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
        _________________________________________________________
        What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFanSince72 says:

So Subban at 21, a lifelong Habs fan, who is on his way to being a star in this city, decides without knowing him that he doesn’t want to play for Therrien.

So he says to his agent “get me outta there”. Anywhere. Even Edmonton.

yes, very plausible.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m having a little trouble accepting MT right now HFS72 …bear with Me while I adapt :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFanSince72 says:

But did you call your agent?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

Re: Don Cherry and the Metric System being a Commie Conspiracy
    …I think most of mine and his generation will agree :)

• HardHabits says:

People like Don Cherry piss me off. He tries to give communism a good name.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…haha yup
        …but how bored We would be without he tweaking Our sensibilities ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Joe Juneau graduated as an aeronautical engineer
    …is anyOne here aware whether He has used that degree in that field ?

• HabFab says:

Apparently he likes to fly himself around. Does that count?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…it was the Corsi/Fenwick Frank
        …if anything spoils the innocent pure joy of hockey, it’s Corsi/Fenwick :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFab says:

Not a fan myself but just trying to be fair.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…actually, it’s mostly ‘the messenger’ rather than ‘the message’ :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabFab
    …your Sunday humor is rather extreme :)

10. frontenac1 says:

If you get a chance,read his book,”My Life In And Out Of The Rough”John Daly. An amazing human story.Very Honest.There is also a new biography on him out Called”Let The Big Dogs Eat”it is next on my list of summer reads.

11. HabFab says:

I’m not sure if it was mentioned here or not but Perry Pearn has been released as a pro scout by the Habs.

12. HabFab says:

For the Corsi fans, there is an article on how Pittsburgh performed under MT over at EOTP.

13. Hali_Hab says:

Does anyone think that Paul Gaustad would be a good fit for the habs on the FA market? I mean he certainly has size. Maybe putting him with some more talented wingers could produce a nice effect ?

Thoughts.

14. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,John Daly ,finished at plus 3 today.Love the guy!

15. JohnBellyful says:

And now for something completely different.
    Warning: This has nothing to do with hockey, but I did find it interesting. It’s a sci-fi movie waiting to be written.

16. Les Habitants says:

I don’t know if this link will work but here goes…

Check out the pic about half way down of Ron Maclean face when Cherry calls the metric system “Commie stuff”. Priceless, lol.

17. habstrinifan says:

Per TSN.CA:

The San Jose Sharks acquired defenceman Brad Stuart from the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday in exchange for forward Andrew Murray and a conditional draft selection in the 2014 NHL Draft

18. That's-Hockey says:

I’m not sold on Eller just yet – I know he’s only 23 and maybe if he was given more ice time he would prove me wrong – right now he’s averaging 24 points a season – I don’t know if it’s ice time or that’s all he can offer in any case not impressive stats 3rd line at best….

• chelseafan says:

unless we move dd and pleks- eller is a third line guy and that is where he belongs as long as he continues to develop his defence. with bourque and leblanc it could be a good line (therrien should get bourque going). We need a lw for pleks and gionta- i would love nash or ryan. forsberg could be a fit but i am not sure who should be taken at #3.

• JayK-47 says:

Averaging half the ice time but playing with linemates worse than (well, less score-y) DD and Pleks? And playing, a cumulative 5 minutes on the PP?

Whatever.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

You can put Lars Eller on a checking line with wingers like Travis Moen and Mathieu Darche (maybe a younger faster version of Darche) and you’ve got a really good checking. Dirty cheap too! Eller’s Physical skills are amazing. I imagine he looks like the best player on the team everyday in practice.
        In terms of “offensive-creativity” I see Lars Eller as a “poor-man’s-scott-gomez-before-the-whole-league-figured-out-his-one-move”

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
        - Sean Bonjovi

• pmaraw says:

the thing i like about eller, is he does everything that gomez tries to do, skates the puck down the ice, gets in the zone, handles the puck well, creative passer and works down low. and hes a fraction of the cost of gomez and way more efficient at it.

19. habstrinifan says:

Ok here goes!

Would you trade our 1st rnd pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan; Sheldon Brookbank AND their 2nd rnd pick.

I think I would. Then we sign Brookbank (should be relatively easy) and lots of good players still available in 2nd rnd.

And presto we have improved our D; gotten an impact forward NOW, and still can draft a prospct in 2nd rnd where Timmins kicks ass.

• twilighthours says:

Of course. Would Anaheim? Of course not.

• habstrinifan says:

Anaheim has 6 UFA/1 RFA and 7 ufa’s and 2 rfa’s to deal with this yr and next yr respectively. And they are not fringe players.

I would be knocking on their door. And there is always the cachet of a team drafting two frist rnd picks to sell to fans.

I would be knocking.

• ont fan says:

No, I’m not trading the 3rd pick period. No matter what unbelievable scenario you come up with.Actually, after watching some of the playoffs I believe no one can score anymore. I look at Richards and Carter, with their big contracts and frankly don’t get it. They are the 2nd line, can you believe that, and are supposed to score. It seems to come down to a very good goalie, 3 offensive and 3 big defensive defenseman and 2 goals a game to win. You had better have 4 lines that are fairly big that can play.So no, I’m not trading Price or Subban either.

• That's-Hockey says:

trini – I would do that but I think they would want a lot more than a 1st round pick coming their way. they’d probably want pleks included in that deal…

• habstrinifan says:

Ok so if they ask for Pleks, would you do it. Remember I am insisting on their 2nd rnd pick. So we essentially get a first rdn pick… Ryan.. and Brookbank and a 2nd rnd pick for Pleks and our 1st rnd.

I still think I would.

20. frontenac1 says:

Go Habs ,Go Matty, Go Daly,and Go Strippers!!Hola!

21. The Dude says:

If the Habs are to rebuild thier dynasty it’s got to be through a youth movement that puts a overwhelming emphasis on size “6’4-220 lbs”and all else will follow .Yes there will still be a few smaller players “2 or 3″,but that should be all…The idea is to win the Cup and you do it by taking it! And I ‘m not talking about a team of Blundens….it’s got to be big boys who got big skill !

22. That's-Hockey says:

Mason Raymond, great speed hands of stone. averages 15 goals a season. maybe fit in with Eller and Bourque on the 3rd line, we’d have Moen on the 4th and whom ever they decide for the other two.

23. frontenac1 says:

England plays hockey?

24. HabsRepresente says:

Apparently Habs seriously interesting in Mason Raymond

Thoughts?

go habs go

25. issie74 says:

NHL Live Panel … Darren Pang,Mike Johnson,Kevin Weeks,Doug Weight why would anyone watch CBC ?

Go Devils!!!

NorthTOHab

26. naweed235 says:

What’s with all this Crosby to MTL talk lately in the media? First I heard it was R. Lavoie on RDS just throwing his thoughts out there with Pat Brisson being Syd’s agent and a close friend of MB and Crosby loving to play for Therrien and also being a Hab’s fan growing up…he said there is a good chance that Crosby considers MTL if he hits UFA… But now in the last 2 days I heard them talk about it on TSN 990…
    Does anybody actually think there is a remote possiblity of Pits. not resigning him?
    It’s a very sticky situation with him… Is he worth a long term $9M contract knowing that he could potentially be one hit away from retiring?

27. Ton says:

Can someone be kind enough to explain to me how Canadiens will be structured in regards to positions>whom will report to whom. With talk of Brisbois being hired its confusing. Who will report to who> is Timmins still the boss of player development, its seems they go from thin to now being overstaffed!

• Shane1313 says:

I have no idea, but you gotta know that they have a sense of what they’re doing. I’m sure they’ll clear it up. Brisebois definetely would be under, considering it’s his first job

28. Strummer says:

Who to cheer for on Monday?

England!! Of course!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Shane1313 says:

Nice to see a big fan!!
      Can’t wait for the England game!

• HabsRepresente says:

I’m still an England fan but i have given up on them winning anything at all at this point, they never seem to play well together.

go habs go

• Strummer says:

It’s much the same way we feel about the Habs (this past season anyway).
          Probably won’t win but we cheer because we’re fans.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

From Twitter:

Roy Hodgson has finally kept his promise of taking Liverpool to Europe.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

29. HabFab says:

Has anyone heard that BGL is contemplating a come back?
    Feels there is not enough offense and goal scoring anymore would be my guess as to his motivation.

• Strummer says:

Lack of offence and goal scoring is his specialty.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

30. RobertAlanFord says:

Does Audette even have any coaching experience? Hell, while they’re at it why not give Joe Juneau a call.

31. frontenac1 says:

Hey! I coached minor hockey for 7 years! Three years at the midget level! Gimme a call Mike!

32. frontenac1 says:

Donny O! That’s the ticket! Just read that he has been coaching minor hockey since retiring.That’s what we need! Go Strippers!!!

Help!

Lat week someone posted McKeens final mock draft for the first round. Now I can’t find it in my mailbox.

Any chance someone could re-post it?

34. frontenac1 says:

Donny Audet,Really?!! The last time I saw him ,he was leaving the Bell Centre with his bag over his shoulder,heading to Hamilton because he sucked! C”mon Mike ,call Killer!

35. That's-Hockey says:

I’m hoping NJ wins the cup for Brodeur could very well be his last one and he could retire. he’s a great goalie and the devils deserve a lot of credit after been down 3-0 if they can pull off one more I have a feeling the cup will be theirs…

36. frontenac1 says:

Protesters protesting against strippers?That’s it ,they lost me! Screw the protesters! Go Strippers!!!

No idea who this author is but there’s nothing else to talk about this morning. Here’s the latest mock draft.

Faska at #5, Dumba at 14? Forsberg is a centre? Wow.

Not sure I understand the bloggers comment on how Edmonton and Columbus have a gentlemans agreement where Edmonton won’t take Galchenyuk. Why would Tambellini do such a thing?

• HabFab says:

Hates the Habs?

Seriously though remember that Howson (?) comes from the Oiler organization.

I had forgotten that Frank, okay brings some validity to such a rumour/story. But if I am Edmonton, I don’t give out an agreement like that without getting something in return.

• Clay says:

Regarding your (semi-rude) reply to me on the last page, here is my reply.
            :roll:
            FFS Gerald…I will say it again: “denying a truth does not make it any less true.”
            Pointing out a fact dies not equal attacking or dumping on someone. Marty has a pathetic playoff OT record. It is merely a fact. Get a grip on reality please.

__________________________
            ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• HabFab says:

And what about me?
            I called you a commie ;)
            Always a bridesmaid but never a bride!
            What does a guy have to do to get some respect around here?
            “sigh”

• Bripro says:

I respect you Frank. Anyone who offers me free food is worthy. ;)

• HabFab says:

And you wouldn’t need any special trip to the beer store either!!

• Clay says:

@Habfab:
            But I am a ‘commie’, so that’s hardly rude to point out.

__________________________

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not content with sucking in Edmonton, the Oilers are exporting their suck.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• FishOutOfWater says:

u dont like faksa?

• 24 Cups says:

Faska is a fine prospect but I have never seen him rated in the top five. I also find it interesting that he hasn’t moved up the charts during the year. I don’t think it’s a knock against him but rather a relfection of other players advancing.

I would think that Dumba has to be a top three Dman.

• ed lopaz says:

Faksa is playing center now, but his size vs speed will force him to the wing in the pros.

I watched him on several occasions and I like him a lot.

I like everything about him, including the fact that he will carry 220 + lbs as an NHL left winger.

Someone is going to get a highly motivated, highly skilled, power forward in this draft who is “disguised” as a center in the OHL.

• FishOutOfWater says:

couldnt have said it better myself. i live in Kitchener, Go Rangers Go, the dood is a beast

So playing in a ball tournament all this weekend, and bunch of my buddies (Leaf Fans) have gotten all excited cuz Burkie said he is going to get both Russians (Galchenyuk and Yakupov), I reminded them that Burke also said he would get both Sedins a couple years back and failed, also reminded them of when Burke said he was going to get Tavares and failed.

Will be interesting to see just what Burke does do, like him or not, he has in the past pulled off some big trades (some good for his team some bad).

39. habstrinifan says:

A visit to the link, http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/05/31/last-word-nhl-draft-headquarters-directory/, nicely provided by Commandant, shows that the top six are as follows

1- Nail Yakupov
    #2- Mikhail Grigorenko
    #3- Ryan Murray
    #4- Alex Galchenyuk
    #5- Matt Dumba
    #6- Filip Forsberg

I think this sets up beautifully for some astute management wheeling and dealing by our management team which is reputedly above par in their ability to evaluate talent. Marc Bergevin/Rick Dudley/Mellanby/ and Trevor Timmins.

I say they should sit still and let pick # 1 and number #2 be made. I dont see either Yakupov or Grigorenko as being indisputably enough a ‘superstar’ to fret about missing out on them. And if the #1 and #2 teams pick differently and they fall lower that’s ok too.

So we will be sitting 3rd with at he very ‘least’ Murray; Galchenkuk; Dumba and Forsberg available. And it’s at that time that teams 4 to 10 are debating their own needs and which of 3 to 6 best fills those needs. Great position for our “braintrust” to smile and play the room and ‘seem to be on the phone’ to make some sort of a deal which could still land them any one of the players ranked 3 to 6 (or even 1 to 6) along wih a current roster player who will fill one of our ‘secondary but urgent needs’. Like a steady D or a gritty type checker.

I say sit still, let pick one and two be made, and then go to work. I hope this is the plan being hatched by Bergevin et al.

• 24 Cups says:

I think any move like that would be done well ahead of the draft based on ‘what if’ scenarios.

For me, it’s quite simple. Edmonton decides on Murray or Yakupov. If they go with Murray then we are golden. If they choose Yakupov then it comes down to Columbus and Murray/Galchenyuk. If they choose Galchenyuk then the Habs must decide between Murray or Forsberg and will probably go with Forsberg. Forsberg plays another year (or two) in Sweden and then we have a ready made forward to play top six minutes.

I can’t see Grigerenko being part of any top three scenarios.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree that the HABS must/should have already explored the what if scenarios. My main points are that they are sitting rather ideally to have mnay ‘what-ifs’ come true and to hold-up proceedings long enough to raise eyebrows and make other GM’s get up outta their seats and come a chatting. Bottom line do nothing to move up … holding pattern at position 3 for now.

Personally I like the scenario where two of Murray; Galchenyuk and Forsberg are available. And some team really wants Murray or Galchenyuk and we can wrangle a player from that team to pass on either and we end up with player and one of ranks 3 to 6.

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed.

I hate to keep harping on about our 2nd round pick but I feel it’s going to be quite valuable. I think it’s great that the Habs get to dwell on it overnight so that they only have to make a list of three for their choice. Basically the same situation as we have now for the first round pick.

Anyone from the projected #25-35 could be in the mix. One of Sammelsson, Thrower, Matheson or Matteau would be fine by me.

• habstrinifan says:

Totally agree! As the day gets closer I think the one wrong move would be to trade up by giving away one of our good young players thinking that Nail, for instance, is a home run.

40. boing007 says:

My girlfriend from Lac St Jean some thirty years ago married, then divorced, her classcially trained trumpet playing husband (Jean). He joined Scientology. Several months later I took over his best friend’s apartment in Park Extension. He too joined the Scientologists. Jean threw his beautiful trumpet in the garbage, along with all his music manuscripts. Jean used to drop by at least once a week to visit Anne and myself. Friendly visits that soon turned sour because Jean wanted to convert Anne and Anne wasn’t interested. No more visits from Jean.
    Ain’t Scientology wonderful? And it’s no different with any other cult, Christianity, Judaism, Islam-you name it-included.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

41. RGM says:

Let’s play fun counterfactual history: The more I think about it, the more I think that if the Habs hired Roy he would have tried to do a sell job on Bergevin to take a chance on Radulov. You need only look at his incredible junior numbers to see that Roy clearly knew how to motivate and get the best out of this player. Discuss.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habstrinifan says:

The intriguing questions re Roy are as

a)Were there discussions between Molson and Roy (as rumoured) long before Savard came on board or PG was even canned.

b)Was Molson turning to Savard a case of ‘second thought’ and “I better get help before I give away all power”.

c)Roy’s metamorphis into a humble like personality re NHL prospects after the Ramparts last game.

d)Why did rumours persist re Roy’s re-emergence into the picture late in the process… apparently late interviews in Florida…. to be followed by

e)Roy’s last press conference, where he again appeared rather ‘humbled’ but also saw fit to hold the presser and stated that there indeed had never been any serious show of interest by the HABS… to the point that he, Roy, felt that he was at any time close to having to make the decision of leaving the Ramparts etc. And he did sound like he wanted that opportunity and had in fact pondered on it.

History will reveal all I hope.

42. nickster13 says:

Man its June and there is hockey. Most people minus the die hards dont care anymore. I vote that the NHL season gets pushed forward a month, from the beginning of october, to the beginning of september. In line with most other fall things, and then it can end by Mid may at the latest, so then people can focus on Summer things.
    Does this not make more sense?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

43. boing007 says:

Boone: MacLean quoting Shakespeare. Have I mentioned lately what a colossal dick he is?

Was it ‘life is a tale told by an idiot’ or ‘to be or not to be’?

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

A good read with lots of info.

In this year’s playoffs, the Devils were 4-8 in Games 1 through 3 of their four series and 10-1 in Games 4 through 6. A point to ponder.

• habstrinifan says:

I had just finished studiously reading the articles re ETOP on Berkshire’s site. Then returned here and saw your link. It is a good read with a wide variety of sub-links leading to quite interesting and at times detailed inspection of topics.

I could not help but feel a little like Don Cherry though. Sort of like a dinosaur. I guess one has to be careful in using the term ‘armchair quarterback/critic’ at fans these days.

Nothing armchair about the observations of the ‘bloggers’ in those sites. As for the definitive value of their conclusions that’s a whole other discussion.

45. Thomas Le Fan says:

Hmmmm, my prediction of Devils in 7 is starting to look a little better. I’m hockey fan as well as a Habs fan but it’s hard to really care about any of this, however.

46. smiler2729 says:

Let’s just end this thing already! I’ve never cared less about an NHL Final… even last season I was hoping Vancouver would shut the chowdaheads up but this year, there’s no drama, no storyline, no interest and it’s freakin’ JUNE – baseball, golf, swimming pools, BBQs, NOT hockey. WTF Bettman?

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

47. The Cat says:

I heard a guy on tv talking about how Kovalchuk has elevated his game. The guy must be drinking the same water Cunneyworth used to drink when assessing the habs performances in the press conferences.

“Chu tu fou moé, est-ce que chu en train de virer fou?”

48. commandant says:

A Montreal Native, Dillon Fournier of the Rouyn-Norenda Huskies

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• FishOutOfWater says:

very cool love this kinda stuff

• ed lopaz says:

as many have, I have seen fournier play in west island hockey, for the lions, and now in the Q

I don’t want to be unfair to the young man, but there is no way he should have been #1 in the Q entry draft.

I had virtually everyone else in the top 10 ahead of him, and Matheson didn’t include himself, or he would have been #1.

I would be very happy for the young man if he makes the NHL.

He has always played small, and his offensive skills do not translate well out of Quebec.

Your analysis that he has top 4 potential is frankly way off.

I would change that to, either he develops his offensive skills such that he becomes the “go to” power play guy, or he will play in Europe.

Matheson is an extraordinary talent and if everything falls his way he might develop into a top 4 d-man.

Fournier is not an extraordinary talent.

Matheson played U18 Canada last year, Fournier was not invited to the try outs.

Other QMJHL d-men have raised their offensive games in the Q as the NHL draft was approaching.

But if you took the vast majority of them, with the exception of the Kris Letangs (who captained the U20 Canada team), they would not be offensive threats in the OHL or WHL leagues.

Moreover, the other Canadian Junior leagues are producing forwards who skate and bang and run over d-men at 165 lbs.

The Q is busy drafting Donald Audettes son at 5’7 with the #1 pick overall. (and Olivier Archambault a few years ago as well).

So when you point out that Fournier is having some difficulty defending the front of his net and winning the physical battles in the softest league in Canada, how does that possibly end with a “top 4″ NHL prospect conclusion??

He is an excellent skater, however, and no doubt that will keep his career afloat.

Sorry to be so frank, but just my opinion.

• HabFab says:

Heh!, please leave frank out of this.

• ed lopaz says:

I watched a stand up routine by Robin Williams last night on the Comedy Network – and belly laughed the whole way through.

The man is a Living Legend (sorry Red, but there is more than 1).

Figured I would mention that because you seem to enjoy a good joke.

What did you think of Johnathan Drouin out in Halifax this past year?

He came from the Lions in the West Island (like Fournier and Matheson, but he’s 1 year behind as a 1995, and graduated with Anthony Duclair).

I think Drouin’s ceiling is extremely high. He seemed to jump right into the Q and dominate.

Duclair has all the tools, including attitude and work ethic, to become a star.

What was your take on Drouin?

• FishOutOfWater says:

sorry i missed the joke ;)

• HabFab says:

When I joined HIO I was living in Halifax but have not for a couple of years. I still travel to there frequently but only saw 1 game in which he played. And I was more focused on Frk, McKinnon and Ellis in that game along with Brunelle (whom the Habs had looked at as an unsigned junior). Did see Duclair play 3 times and was impressed with him particularly in one game where he was head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates.

• commandant says:

Matheson is no doubt the better player…. Maybe thats why he’s at 28 and Fournier is in the 60s in our ranks.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

49. jedimyrmidon says:

Was at LA Live today watching the game with Kings fans. I was probably the only one there secretly hoping that NJ would extend the series. The whole time I was wondering how many of the fans had been fans for longer than two months.

• boing007 says:

True, but when you started watching hockey after the first two months you too had only been a fan after the first two months.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

50. Marc10 says:

Holy pressure Batman! It’s going to get dialed up a notch after tonight.

51. commandant says:

What a senile old coot.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

The Crack Spider’s Bitch video is a humorous take on an actual experiment conducted in 1948 by a German zoologist.

I remember reading about this in a high school library Time-Life book. The thing that struck me about the experiment was that the spider built the most symmetrically perfect spider web under the influence of LSD.

Here are some pics from the experiment. Unfortunately, the images are low resolution.

It is very difficult to see the smaller threads that make up the mesh in the web built on acid but if you look closely enough you can infer what I saw in the original hi-resolution colour pictures from the book way back when, and that is that the strands are practically flawless.

53. otter649 says:

Will Taylor Stevens be leaning on glass behind The Devils Bench for game 6 ?

54. DMAN says:

I think the point of always putting Hrudey and Stock together is to make Hrudey look a little brighter by the absolute stupidity of Stock.
    Did you hear him make a comment and then saying I know that doesn’t make sense but…..

Happy to see Jersey win, we have a series and I am sure Bettman is getting nervous.

56. habstrinifan says:

Emerging pattern which is not good for LA. NJD establishing their ‘one-man’ cycle game while rest of forwards either go to the net or block lanes to the puck carrier. They did this amazingly well against NYR… I didnt think they could do it against bigger Kings.

57. Peter Young says:

I want the Kings to win–L.A. has been my hometown since 1968, the Kings’ second season–but every time I see Larry Robinson’s face behind the Devils’ bench, my heart wavers.

58. The Dude says:

Cherry just called the metric system “commie”,Oh lordy lordy!

• Clay says:

He’ll be dead soon…

__________________________

• The Dude says:

Too funny….and I’m sure he voted for Stephen Harper”who doesn’t believe in Global Warming,lol”. But hey,when there’s still flat-earthers and they have a society then wtf.

• habstrinifan says:

Or he may be around long after the ‘last Commie’ has moved on. Who is the last commie anyways? .. Putin? NO! Theres a holdover somewhere whose name escapes me.

• Peter Young says:

That’s funny. Just before I emigrated from England to Canada as a nine-year-old in 1953, my grandfather told me I would have to learn the metric system in my new country, which frightened the hell out of me (although why any schoolchild who had learned to multiply and divide pounds, shillings and pence–12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound–should be frightened by the metric system is now beyond me). At any rate, I was relieved on arrival in Canada to find out grandad did not know what he was talking about, and now I know he was trying to spread Commie propaganda.

59. Psycho29 says:

WOW…..Cherry about kilometres vs miles……”Don’t give me that Commie stuff”

……are we back in the 50′s????

60. Psycho29 says:

Rad-Can reporting Donald Audette has an interview with the Habs next Thursday for an assistant coach position…

61. kempie says:

That was a fun game. I’ll bet some collars are starting to feel a little tighter now in the City of Angles.

• Mark says:

So would that city be Right, Obtuse, Straight, Complementary, Reflex Supplementary, Complementary, Vertical, Adjacent, Congruent, Full, Interior, Exterior, or Acute? This “City of Angles” you speak of?

62. AceMagnum says:

It’ll be better when we win it at home anyway….and yes, I’m going back to Staples Centre for Monday night.

….with my Brodeur voodoo doll in tow…

63. commandant says:

We’ve got a Series

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

64. Habsolutely says:

Back to La La Land.

65. Habsolutely says:

Marty has been super sharp ce soir.

• Clay says:

…as long as it doesn’t go to OT (did you catch his playoff OT record? Not good…)

__________________________

• L Elle says:

You mean the teams’ record in OT, don’t you? ;)

• Clay says:

No, I mean his personal record over his career, with a lot of different players on the team.

__________________________

• L Elle says:

I’m not going to defend Marty, who cares, but he has been better than Quick the last 2 games.

• Clay says:

Woah there L Elle – I’m not dumping on Marty at all. I’m a big fan, and I think he’s played great here and over his entire career. It’s just that denying a truth does not make it any less true. I’m simply stating a truth. I’m a big fan of the scientific method.

*Edit*
            Which begs the question – why does Marty (or, by extension any player) need ‘defending’ from the facts?
            __________________________

• L Elle says:

Oy Clay, it’s just a discussion, not even about our beloved Habs.

And, I’m not a fan of science anyway. :)

Clay, you say you aren’t dumping on Marty but say he becomes a worse goalie when OT starts. Perhaps in many of those games his team had no business getting to OT without him. True his “teams” record isn’t good, but he has proven for far too long how good he is to suggest he becomes worse in OT.

• Dust says:

You’d think he was playing at the bell centre with how good he has been

66. Chuck says:

Hard to believe that this could be their first road loss of the playoffs.

___________________________________________________

67. Clay says:

Given that Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez did great together with the Devils, and seeing how well young Gionta has done lately, I would speculate the Devils might be wondering if Gomez has a younger brother to pair up with him.
    If he doesn’t, maybe we could offer them our Gomez? I know it would be hard to part with a player of such quality, but surely for the right offer this move could be made.

__________________________
    ☞ Johnny was a chemist’s son, but Johnny is no more;
    What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4.☜

68. Dust says:

This has been by far the best game of the finals

69. Habsolutely says:

Hope mini-Gio gets the clincher.

How can this be? The LA Kings have a better Fenwick/Corsi rating this game.

71. Kimberly2u says:

Someone finally put Richards in his place

72. Habsolutely says:

Good action.

73. Clay says:

I can hear crickets chirping it’s so quiet at HIO – this must be what it’s like to attend a Michael Bolton Concert…

__________________________
    ☞ Johnny was a chemist’s son, but Johnny is no more;
    What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4.☜

74. JayK-47 says:

I think an awesome thing that could happen this summer is: the Kings lose the next 3 games, their power play going 0-13 in that time. During the draft, MB’s phone rings, it’s LA, they need a PP specialist and ask “Is Kaberle available?”

“Using a quote of your own as your signature looks kinda dumb.” – JayK-47