Liveblog: Kings win 2-1 in OT, draw first blood

KingsCelebrate

Eight minutes into overtime, Anze Kopitar scores a spectacular breakaway goal to give Los Angeles a hard-earned win.
The Kings are a mind-boggling 9-0 on the road in the playoffs.

Colin Fraser and Anton Volchenkov had scored during regulation time.

The game was not a classic.

Each team went through long periods of not being able to generate a shot on goal.

Kopitar’s winner – a brilliant individual effort – was the consequence of errors by defencemen Marek Zidlicky and Bruce Salvador, both of whom were caught up ice by the Jason Williams pass that sprung Kopitar.

L.A. outshot the home team 25-18.

Hits outnumbered shots and were 44-35 in favour of New Jersey.

1. Habsolutely says:

Holy crap, they have a suspect in the body parts thing in Ottawa and Montreal. That should be interesting.

2. Habsolutely says:

Nice hustle by Parise to get the puck to the front of the net and there was nobody there to capitalize.

3. Habsolutely says:

Gettin a little sloppy with 4 minutes left. Probably both squads tired out.

4. Habsolutely says:

Marty is just sick. Love the double pad stack.

5. Kimberly2u says:

I wish Healey would just shut up

6. filincal says:

*Edit…CAN’T

7. filincal says:

HEALY!!!! I can believe this clown gets a paycheque…what’s worse is I think I contribute to his pay.

8. commandant says:

Too Early to say, next goal wins?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

9. Habsolutely says:

Jimi Hendrix on the PA. Never a bad thing IMO.

10. ProHabs says:

Interesting story. I didn’t know this. But I do remember one of Bob Gainey’s first moves as a GM.

11. habsfan0 says:

PK Subban & bro on George S. show tonite!

A triumvirate of Habs fans in TO.

When the mute feature was invented, the inventor clearly had PJ Stock in mind.

13. Habsolutely says:

PJ Stock makes my ears bleed.

14. L Elle says:

I guess the plan is to put Quick to sleep. Worked in the 2nd. ;)

15. frontenac1 says:

LOL!Healey making excuses for the kings on last goal!

16. Habsolutely says:

Woo-Hoo!!! Contrary to popular belief, the Kings aren’t perfect. Awesome of the Devils to jump over that mistake.

17. frontenac1 says:

Elias!Yes!

18. ProHabs says:

Does Nathan Beaulieu remind anyone else of a defenceman by the name of Patrice Brisbois that used to play for the Habs.

• Bill says:

Probably not.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ProHabs says:

I hope you are right Bill but there is something about him that reminds me ALOT of Brisbois. Patrice played over 1000 games and had over 400 points but I hope Beaulieu is alot better than Brisbois ever was.

• Bill says:

Beaulieu is quite a bit more physical. Whenever the Dogs play the Wildcats he’s always shoving people around and he had more than a few fights too. Offensively he has similar skills I’d say.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Ponikorovsky penalty killing and appearing to be useful at it, something never seen when he wore Maple Leaf colours.

20. frontenac1 says:

Ok Heals,enough of the Kings cheerleading!We know you hate the Devils for how they screwed with you when you were a Ranger but enough already!

21. punkster says:

Reminds me of a Habs PP.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

22. Habsolutely says:

Nice shot of Clarkson getting in Penner’s face.

23. Habsolutely says:

Zubrus using his body. Don’t remember him doing that in Montreal.

• smiler2729 says:

Apparently all he used in Montreal was his cellphone…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

24. habsfan0 says:

“Very lame Coach’s Corner. Boring.”

At least Cherry’s wearing a half decent suit tonight.

Usually, when I look at Cherry’s attire, it’s like gazing straight into the sun.

25. Habsolutely says:

Don is sporting the zoot suit. I wonder if he was around for the St. Valentine’s day massacre?

26. habsfan0 says:

I know Don Cherry sits on a phone book to make him seem as tall as MacLean.

What I can’t figure out is if it’s the white or yellow pages.

27. Habsolutely says:

Oh lord, here comes Cherry. Kill me now. On 2nd thought, maybe I’ll just go mix a drink.

28. Mavid says:

Go Devils Go…off to NJ tomorrow not for hockey but for drag races….lets see if they represent at all…I am going to wear a Habs T just for fun…

29. ont fan says:

I heard an interview with Mellanby. His job for the next month is evaluating the players in Hamilton and the players in Montreal.

30. ZepFan2 says:

“Why was I hearing Doc Emrick?”

Acid flashback?

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…why do My eyes mist when I see Larry behind the Satan’s bench ?
    …the definition of malapropos

32. habsfan0 says:

What’s with the CBC/NBC crosstalk?

33. commandant says:

Anybody else getting both the NBC and CBC commentary at the same time?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

34. habsfan0 says:

If Hartley winds up in Calgary, does that mean Patrick Roy is a virtual shoo in to be the Habs next coach?

35. smiler2729 says:

lol
    If Los Angeles wins the Cup, that would make one more team that has won since the Laffs haven’t.

Part of The Original 12…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

36. Habsolutely says:

Damn, close one for Jersey.

37. Habsolutely says:

4th liners showing their worth in these playoffs.

38. Malreg says:

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Trevor Timmins ne sera plus directeur du développement des joueurs du CH. Il se concentre sur le repêchage. Trop de boulot pour un 1 homme.

39. boing007 says:

Just checked NBC’s coverage of the Finals and they’re showing what happened at least six seconds after what the CBC is showing.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

40. Bozo McBozo says:

Get a good look at their stick blades boys!

41. Habsolutely says:

Zubrus not taking any guff from Brown.

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Brodeur and Robinson
    …the hope We find way to make Parise un Canadien
    …and intense jealousy Lou Lamourella has not been Our GM these past 20 or so years
    …yeah, I guess I’m saying …GO !!! o Evil Ones …Go !!!

43. Bozo McBozo says:

Best Playoff Beard: Easy, Steven Gionta. It’s half his body weight!

44. Habsolutely says:

I almost got carjacked in Newark once. Crazy place.

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…another brilliant intro by the HNIC video artistes

46. Kimberly2u says:

Richards and Carter are a disgrace to have their name on Stanley…with that being said go Devils

47. Psycho29 says:

A little off topic here but was anyone listening to that blowhard Marinaro on TSN990 arguing with Russ Anber about the Lucien Bute fight on the weekend? Marinaro embarrassed himself, trying to explain the boxing business with Anber who was livid. At the end of the call Marinaro invited Anber to come back in studio, and Anber said no problem, but Marinaro should bring someone who knows boxing. Marinaro replied, “No problem, why don’t you do the same.” It was brutal….

48. frontenac1 says:

My son and I drove up to Ottawa last March to catch the Devils vs Sens game. What struck me the most was how well the Devils played without the puck.Talent,speed and well coached.that you don’t really catch on tv. It was also great watching Robinson behind the bench.Always talking to his D,telling them where to be and what to watch for.He always would pat them on the back when they came off if the they did what he said.The players would really listen.You could just see the respect given both ways.Man, I would love to see Big Bird behind our bench for the next few years!

49. Lizardking89 says:

Kings in 6 they deserve to win the cup.

• JohnBellyful says:

Ditto

• Habsolutely says:

No such thing as “deserving” the cup. The team that wins 16 games in the playoffs “deserves” the cup. Mike Richards deserves a punch in the face, not to have his name engraved on the holy grail of sports trophies.

• JohnBellyful says:

Deserving in the sense that a team whose fans have waited so long for a hockey championship is now in a position to reward them for their years of patience and suffering. Deserving in the sense the team made the right moves at the right time to salvage a season and put together a strong contender. I would hope Montreal sees in Los Angeles a worthy model to emulate next season (apart from picking up a player like Richards who is an idiot, but I don’t see his presence on the team as sufficient reason to not cheer for the Kings).

• Habsolutely says:

So by your logic Toronto “deserves” the cup because their mangement has sucked for 40+ years? Sorry, dissagree. As I said, the team that can string together 16 wins in the playoffs deserves the cup IMHO. The Devils made a Ballsy move to bring in Kovy which was highly critisized, they “deserve’ it just as much as anyone else.

• JohnBellyful says:

Exactly what right moves has Toronto made recently?
            Of course a team needs to win 16 games to claim the Cup, but LA has shown mettle as the eighth seed in the West knocking off the top three teams in that conference.
            Let me rephrase, then, before this exchange becomes bogged down over what was intended to be an expression of support, and nothing more, for a team that has never won the Cup. I think, and it’s just an opinion unsupported by a welter of statistics, that the Kings, as an underdog at the outset of the playoffs, deserve to be rewarded for having come this far. It’s not to take away anything that the Devils have accomplished to date, but I’ve seen that show before, where they win a Cup. I just want a script with a different ending that’s all.

• Habsolutely says:

No worries dude. I’m just rooting for Satans team. I understand where you’re coming from. LA has a very good squad, and they are definately the favorites to win it. I guess maybe that’s one of the reasons I like the Devils, I always root for the underdog. Cheers.

50. Strummer says:

Does anyon in this series look more like a country singer than Drew Doughty?
    by Mike Boone5/30/2012 11:45:51 PM 7:45 PM

How about Carey Price at the final home game this season?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

51. Strummer says:

Let’s Go Devils!

Do it for Big Bird- he has 9 rings – needs one more for every finger and thumb.

Do it for David Puddy-

“We are the Devils, the Devils- Bwaaaahahaha!

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

52. neumann103 says:

New Jersey in 7

After a rugged back and forth series in which Quick’s mobility and Brodeur’s puck handling skills are put on display, the Devils go ahead for keeps on a Patrik Elias goal early in the third period of game 7, capped off by an empty net goal by ….

Martin F Brodeur

who announces his intention to return for another season.

“Et le but!”

53. Lizardking89 says:

PJ Stock annoys the hell out of me.

54. RGM says:

Only on Hockey Night in Canada–ONLY on Hockey Night in Canada – would you have them round up a bunch of Devils fans and plunk some idiot in a Leafs jersey RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the group for the pre-game of the Stanley Cup Finals. A place that the Leafs have not seen since 1967. Good grief.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

55. frontenac1 says:

Before the playoffs ,I picked Devils to win East and Blues to win West.Man I should have put my money where my mouth was.It would have been sick odds on the Devils!…Sigh

56. JohnBellyful says:

Although Gretzky’s suggestion to rename the Conn Smythe Trophy in honour of Jean Beliveau is commendable, I won’t argue the point made by others that tradition needs to be upheld (although the award formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson Award now bears the name of Ted Lindsay, a contemporary of Mr. Beliveau).
    Jean deserves his own trophy, in any event, especially when I look at someone like Mark Messier, who has had one bearing his name for several years.
    From nhl.com: “The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone has been awarded since 2006-07 and is awarded “to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice during the regular season.”
    Perhaps a new trophy named after Le Gros Bill could be established, using the same criteria, but based on players’ careers, including regular seasons and playoffs, and in roles including coaching and managing. It would be akin to lifetime achievement awards the Academy Awards and the American Film Institute hand out.
    Candidates that quickly come to mind are Nick Lidstrom, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Steve Yzerman …
    Fans, clubs and NHL personnel nominate players for Messier’s award but it’s Messier himself who decides the winner.
    The other NHL awards are voted upon by professional hockey writers (Hart, Norris, Calder, Selke, Lady Byng, Masterton), general managers (Vezina), broadcasters (Adams), and the players’ association (Lindsay).
    Perhaps a committee comprising representatives from all four groups could be established to choose the annual recipient of the Jean Beliveau Award.

57. HabFab says:

@ed lopez
    This turns out to be the kid from Quebec invited to the Combine that I asked you if you knew anything about.

60) Kevin Roy, Centre, Stars de Lincoln
    Un Québécois qui a choisi de jouer aux États-Unis, il a fait sensation à l’âge de 13 ans lorsqu’un montage de ses feintes en lancers de pénalité a été diffusé sur YouTube. Il excelle lorsqu’il a possession de la rondelle mais doit faire un bien meilleur effort défensivement.
    Montage YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HoedHDZER7k

Kid totally dominated the USHL as a rookie this season; http://www.ushl.com/news.php?news_id=1049

58. savethepuck says:

Just noticed at the bottom of the article that Beaulieu was signed to a 3 year contract. Seems early considering he is likely to play another year of junior and our 1st rounder from the previous year (Tinordi) wasn’t signed until well into last season. Can anything be read into this?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

59. RealtorRichg says:

I was wondering if Bergevin would change team policy regarding player contract terms and conditions…no such luck!
    “…Beaulieu signed…As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.”

Why don’t we hear more from Ken Dryden, one of the smartest and most thoughtful man in hockey history???

60. secretdragonfly says:

TSN is reporting that Detroit will be holding a news conference tomorrow at which time Nicklas Lidstrom is expected to announce his retirement. What a great player and an impressive career. Can you say Hall of Famer?

• Chris says:

Most shameful thing about Lidstrom’s career: the best player of his generation didn’t finish as a finalist ONCE for the Hart Trophy.

That staggers the imagination…I can understand him not winning (there is a bias against goaltenders and defencemen for that award, as they have their own award), but to not even be a finalist? Crazy. This is one area where the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association that vote on that award really dropped the ball.

• Bripro says:

I never knew that. Pretty hard to believe.

• secretdragonfly says:

I was not aware of that fact – I knew about all the Norris wins but not being nominated for the Hart is pretty shabby. I guess being a defensive workhorse means being overshadowed by the glitzy offensive players. Very unfair but he does have four Stanley Cup rings to console him.

• Chris says:

Seven Norris Trophy wins, four Stanley Cups, 1 Conn Smythe Trophy…he’s got a full trophy case.

It is also interesting that he has never won a Lady Byng Trophy as the “player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability”. I have a hard time picturing a player in the league that better personifies the spirit of that award. He was nominated six times during his career, but that particular award also harbours a distinct bias against defencemen, with no defenceman winning the award since Red Kelly 58 (!!!) years ago.

61. Chris says:

Regarding Gretzky’s comments about renaming the Conn Smythe Trophy the Jean Beliveau Trophy.

I absolutely disagree with any such notion.

The Toronto Maple Leafs organization donated that trophy in honour of their Hall of Fame former owner, general manager and coach, a man who had his name on the Stanley Cup eight times while building the Leafs into one of the best franchises in the league. Not only this, but he was also a man who cared about the league’s health, encouraging the then-owner of the Montreal Canadiens (Tommy Gorman) to hire Dick Irvin as a coach to help resuscitate a floundering franchise.

If we’re going down that route, we should rename the Rocket Richard Trophy in honour of Wayne Gretzky, because he clearly is the best goal scorer in NHL history, not Richard.

We should rename the James Norris Trophy into the Bobby Orr Trophy.

The Vezina Trophy should be the Domink Hasek Trophy, as Hasek has won the award the most times in its current format of recognizing the league’s top individual goaltender. (All seven of Jacques Plante’s record 7 Vezina Trophy wins came when the trophy was awarded to the goalie with the best goals against average…all of Ken Dryden’s wins were also under these conditions).

Heck, why not rename the Stanley Cup? Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby never played a hockey game in his life…why do we name the sports greatest trophy after him?

Why not add more awards if people feel that there is a need? The Wayne Gretzky Trophy could be given to the player with the most assists each season. The Bobby Orr Trophy could be given to the top offensive defenceman.

The NHL should embrace its rich history, not always look to dismantle it.

• shiram says:

I get what you are saying, but there is some sense in giving a player’s name to a Trophy awarded to players.

Also, JS Giguère has got to be the saddest Conn Smythe winner ever.

Need a new Head Coach? Why not Bykov?

• Chris says:

Why does it matter if the trophy is named after a former player or not. Most people have no idea who Georges Vézina actually was, they just know that the Vezina Trophy recognizes the top goaltender.

The problem with this idea is that it opens up the idea of renaming the trophies every generation or two. Montreal fans revere Jean Beliveau and Maurice Richard today, but Aurel Joliat and Howie Morenz and Joe Malone and Newsy Lalonde are slowly fading into history.

Rename the Conn Smythe Trophy this season to Jean Beliveau, and in 30 years you might have somebody else who wants to rename it the Sidney Crosby Trophy or the Nathan MacKinnon Trophy in honour of a contemporary superstar player whose career has just ended and Beliveau will be more of a distant memory.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“… building the Leafs into one of the best franchises in the league.”

What sport is this?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

NHL hockey in the 1940′s, when the Leafs won the Stanley Cup in 1942, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, and 1951. That was one heckuva run they were on. They also made the Finals in all but two seasons during Dick Irvin’s 9 year tenure in the 1930′s, but only won one Stanley Cup.

Its not his fault that his son screwed everything up by giving Harold Ballard enough control to eventually take over the franchise and subsequently drive it straight into the ground. Smythe was always against that.

• chilli says:

I completely disagree with you. When you tune into the NHL network for games, do they do a piece on Conn Smythe to educate new fans about the history of the game…. no, they do one on Jean Beliveau.

Instead of non hockey fans asking who was Conn Smyth? and no one within hearing distance being able to answer, it should be called Jean Beliveau, someone known to be one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.

Also, it would be nice for Jean to know he has a significant award named after him for all he’s done for hockey.

They should recognize people when they are still alive.

Tre

• Chris says:

Right, and in 50 years, Jean Beliveau will probably be an afterthought as well.

I intend no disrespect to Jean Beliveau, who is the best ambassador that the National Hockey League could ever hope to have.

When was the last time the NHL did a piece on Newsy Lalonde? Joe Malone? Milt Schmidt? Charlie Conacher? Babe Dye? These were all legendary players in their own era, but many have sadly faded into obscurity for most hockey fans.

While it pains me to say this, the same will one day be true of many of our heroes. Time marches on, and hundreds of new heroes will fill their place.

Is Jean Beliveau any more deserving of such an honour than Bobby Orr? Gordie Howe? Wayne Gretzky? Nicklas Lidstrom? These are all tremendous athletes who played the game the right way and don’t have awards named after them.

This does not diminish their greatness. Perhaps one way to fix this issue is to rename the NHL divisions after these great players. Norris, Smythe, Adams and Patrick are already represented by trophies and had their names removed from the divisions. So why not have an Orr, Howe, Gretzky and Hull division?

There are other ways to honour past greats than by dishonouring the names of greats from forgotten eras.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

The problem with renaming trophies is that you disconnect the past and subvert tradition. Most of us revere the history and stories of the NHL and its predecessors and we want new fans and new players to feel the same. Renaming a trophy, even if Conn Smythe was an a-hole and I don’t know that first hand, smacks of selling out. I love Le Gros Bill as much as the next Habs fan and would love to see him honoured but truncating the history and past would not sit well with Le Gros Bill.

I applaud Gretzky’s sentiment but do not support his method.

62. commandant says:

While the kings are a good team, not enough credit is being given to the devils ability to forecheck and create goals too IMO.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t know. Don’t care.

(I know, I suck.)

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Devils because Stanley Cup parades should be in a parking lot.

65. commandant says:

I’m gonna be the contrarian and say Devils win this in 6.

66. temekuhabs says:

Kings have ran over everybody, Devils have forechecked teams to death, If Marty F plays like Marty F then Devils will win. Kings will be a big test for the Devils

67. habsfan0 says:

Kings in 4 straight.

..or my name ain’t Curley.

68. Thurston says:

I will also say Kings in 6.

69. 123456 says:

given that LA seems to be the favorite i’ll have to pick NJ… it’s not like anything else that has been predicted has come true

70. Max says:

Kings in 6 I’m thinking.Brodeur and the Devils have won enough cups over the last 15 years or so,plus he is a constant thorn in the side of the habs. Go Kings:)

71. Newf_Habster says:

LA Kings a.k.a. Philadelphia Flyers II in 6 games!

What about your prediction?

72. Bripro says:

Irony will be front and centre if the Kings can’t control Marty’s puck control, given his age and his ever-present urge for another cup.
    For me, all hinges in how he plays. If he finds that magic of years-gone-by, the Devils in 7. If not, the Kings in 6.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Bri. I’ve seen dozens of Devils games this year and on some nights Marty did not look like Marry. If that happens in this series it will spell big trouble for New Jersey.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

I haven’t seen too many of their games Jim, so correct me if I’m wrong, but he seemed to get better as the year wore on. Like a fine wine…

• Habfan10912 says:

That he did. He had some injury issues which limited his games played. Might have been a blessing.

———————————–

• JF says:

Agree. It wouldn’t suprise me if Brodeur were to get into the kind of mental space where he can do almost nothing wrong. He has so much playoff experience, and he must know this is almost certainly his last chance. On the other hand, if he is only ordinary, I think the Kings will take it.

73. twilighthours says:

I don’t mind cheering for Richards. We’d love to have him. I think I might be for LA. We’ll see come pick drop though.

74. punkster says:

Devils.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

How does that phrase go, you make your own luck?

76. Habsolutely says:

“You gotta be good to be lucky.”

I also like:

“Haters gonna hate”

77. Habsolutely says:

I don’t believe in luck.
    Luck = Skill, determination, and a few bucks to pay off the refs. :-)

78. Habsolutely says:

“gotta support the team!!”