Liveblog: Kings beat Coyotes 4-0, head home with series stranglehold

Doughty

C’mon, did you really think Kyle Chipchura was going to the Stanley Cup final.
The 4-0 L.A. win probably was the last hockey game played in Phoenix this season.
Or maybe forever.
The Kings are 10-1 in the playoffs and have won seven road games in a row.
They have not trailed since the opening game of the St. Louis series, when David Backes’ goal put the Kings down 1-0 … for 7:42.
The Kings have scored 34 playoff goals and allowed 16.
Jeff Carter came to life with a hat trick in Game 2.
Phoenix captain Shane Doan and Martin Hanzal got  game misconducts and could face further discipline.
It was a great run for the NHL’s poor relations this spring, but the Western Conference final smells an awful lot like Over.

Now that their power play has come to life, the eighth-place Kings are excelling in every aspect of the game.

Since the latter part of the regular season, they are 19-3-3.

They are 35-14-11 under Darryl Sutter.

• Puck Daddy on the coaching choice

Stu Hackel on Torts’s greatest hits

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Dumba, for Me, is right there with Yakupov & Galchenyuk for Our pick …I believe 1, 2 and 3 will be Ryan Murray , Edmonton (unless they opt for Dumba) …Galchenyuk, Columbus, and Yakupov or Grigorenko for Our Habs

…If I was Timmins/Bergevin ? …I would select Galcheyuk if still there, but I would be earnestly kicking the tires leading up to the draft with a toss up between Dumba and Yakupov, instead of Grigorenko

…disappointed to see Malcolm Subban being rated now in the Top 10 …as I was hoping We can steal him in the second round

…what really pisses Me off is that da Weeds will be coming away with a decent pick as well …unless Burke pulls ‘a Burke’ :)

• habsfan0 says:

I think the Laffs will draft Subban seeing what their goalie needs are and that Malcolm is from the Toronto area.

• commandant says:

Subban will not be NHL ready for at least 3 years, he does nothing to address their goalie situation right now. And Burke’s never been one to use a high pick on a goalie, he always tries to find the late round goalie, or the undrafted “free wallet”.

Not that it works, but even in his vancouver days he couldn’t find a goalie.

He was lucky in Anaheim that he had Giguere already on the team when he left. A parting gift for both Murray and later Burke from the one and only Pierre Gauthier.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Stev.R says:

Why do you type like that? It looks awful. And don’t believe Button’s rankings. He is usually way out to lunch with his rankings and he moves guys up and down sometimes for no reason.

2. TomNickle says:

Bryce Harper homers on back to back days.

Last guy in his teens to do that?

Ken Griffey Jr.

I’d say the kid is something special.

3. PrimeTime says:

Does this series show that Tippet is a one dimensional Coach? Well at least he has one dimension!

• smiler2729 says:

He is the Dalai Lama of hockey. Free Tipet!

4. habaholic68NJ says:

Since the 2nd game in the series with the Blues, I wished I was a King’s fan.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

5. PrimeTime says:

I would love to see LA win a Cup before Vancouver!

6. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Big is boring and slow

7. PrimeTime says:

Thanks Smiler! Way to ruin the stew I was trying to stir. :)

@ Dude – thanks for never changing!

8. The Dude says:

L.A. Kings prove BIG IS BEAUTIFUL in the N.H.L.

9. PrimeTime says:

How many Quebecers, Euros, or Russians players on LA roster?

10. slapshot777 says:

If Brown gets a diving call on that slash by Smith then Smith should have got a double minor.

I don’t how the referee could call it a dive.

11. BONZOHABS says:

Mike smith pulls a Billy smith on brown. Lol.

12. habsfan0 says:

Has an 8th seed ever won the Stanley Cup? I know a couple of teams have come close.

13. PrimeTime says:

I wonder what the odds are now for LA to win the Cup? I would love to see them beat NYR!!

Good. The sooner Phoenix is out the better.

15. smiler2729 says:

Down goes Brown

16. smiler2729 says:

Now the Coyotes are Shane DONE

17. commandant says:

The Kings are just too good for Phoenix. Men against Boys.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

18. smiler2729 says:

The Whalers did wear great jerseys!!

19. BONZOHABS says:

Wouldn’t that boedker guy look good on a line with Eller? A Denmark line. Lol.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah stick ‘em with Bourque and we can call it the Bakery Line, two Danishes and a Cream Puff

20. smiler2729 says:

“That coyote can never win”
    Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour

21. shootdapuck says:

Is Dustin Brown this years’ Marchand?

Cheapshot free pass?

22. otter649 says:

If LA & Rangers make it to The Stanley Cup Final it will be a re-match of coaches from The Tampa/Calgary SC Final……..

23. habsfan0 says:

So, will the Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings be playing in Montreal next season?

24. habsfan0 says:

Sacha Baron Cohen movie coming out tomorrow. Timo’s got his tickets already.

25. habsfan0 says:

The Kings might just sweep this series too.

26. smiler2729 says:

Alright 2-0.

Yawn.

Why doesn’t the NHL just give LA the Cup now so we don’t have to watch hockey in May and June?

27. Kimberly2u says:

I hate Carter…poor Yotes

28. Sir.Plekers says:

Off tooic but the habs will sadlly take grigerenko just because he plays in quebec :(.I think Gally is the best pick
    SIR PLEKERS

29. frontenac1 says:

The redhead! Aye Chi Wow Wa!

30. shootdapuck says:

Seriously what is the big deal about the weather?

These TSN dimwits are obsessed!

Never heard period by period temperature updates from Edmonton or Winnipeg in mid February!

31. Kimberly2u says:

I have to mute it when that commercial comes on…can’t stand it

32. Trisomy 21 says:

That HTC commercial is annoying
    hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu

33. Boomer says:

There’s some talk about semin. I think our new gm should consider sharpe.

And if we didn’t have 180000000 natural centers in our line up, Stoll from LA would be a good pick up aswell.

34. smiler2729 says:

Nice pic, Boone, the Coyote cleavage cutie

35. ProHabs says:

Est-ce que Ted Nolan parle francais?

36. Mavid says:

junk hunk..I like it..:-)

37. Kimberly2u says:

When the yotes score on Quick we should call him Not-so. Lol

• habsfan0 says:

And when Mike Smith makes a save he should say: “Never fear, Smith is here!”

“Lost in Space” fans will know what I’m talking about.

38. Mavid says:

and then there is that howiling…

39. ProHabs says:

Are Boone and Susan Farley an item now.

40. Mavid says:

can i do a package alert…fair is fair right?

• smiler2729 says:

Junk hunk?

41. shootdapuck says:

On a non game related topic.

How in hell is Kevin F Pollack doing conference finals?

Is the fix in or what?

Are the Kings this years Bruins? Allowed to get away with whatever they want?

42. Kimberly2u says:

I’m cheering for the yotes too

43. shootdapuck says:

You’re not alone cheering for the Yotes!

44. Mavid says:

cleavage alert…really..am I the only one cheering for the Yotes..

45. smiler2729 says:

Good one, Booner. That 1000 emails a day BlackBerry chick commercial is just stupid…

46. frontenac1 says:

Smitty!

47. habaholic68NJ says:

Cleavage alert. Over Tippett’s shoulder.

48. Mavid says:

I miss my Habs…145 days to go..

49. Kimberly2u says:

If Semin became a Hab the jokes in here would be worse although I don’t know how…lol

• smiler2729 says:

I’m all out of Semin jokes. Firing blanks now.

• shootdapuck says:

Happens in old age!

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• aj says:

You never know. The Habs can ask for him to lower his price (4.5m/yr to 5m/yr) if they want him. His lowest production was this season. But I did see this guy play fairly in the playoffs.

• smiler2729 says:

He’ll never stick.

50. frontenac1 says:

I wonder if Edmonton will go for Dumba,since they are loaded wih young forwards,leaving Yakupov and Galchenyuk at 2 and 3

51. Sir.Plekers says:

110 F today in pheonix only reason fans go to the game is to get some quality Air conditioning
    SIR PLEKERS

52. Peter Young says:

Come on Kings, my hometown team for 44 years. Never thought I’d be cheering them on, though. It’s good for hockey in L.A., I suppose, though one of its signs, the equivalent of the Reagans sitting rinkside (as they did at the Inglewood Forum in 1993 for two losses against our Canadiens), is a bit irritating if only because far more worthy fans can’t get tickets.

• otter649 says:

According to Ticket Stub there were tickets available for tonites game starting @ $45.00 & Tickets for the first game in LA starting @ $21.00…….

53. frontenac1 says:

So,according to TSN,latest scout ranking now has Dumba at#2 spot. Hmmm

54. kempie says:

Button is a dink. I saw that today he has Grigorenko ranked at #20! But in his mock draft, he has the Habs picking him at #3! His whole list is way outta wack.

55. frontenac1 says:

Habfan0, Sorry,they were epiceries then! I forgot.You know what the say about the sixties,”If you can remember them,you weren’t there!”

56. frontenac1 says:

One more Gump story.His coach in New York was complaining that they couldn’t win “because their goalie had a beer belly”When a reporter told him this he said”Well that just shows you what a dope he is.I don’t drink beer,I drink whisky!”

57. Les Canayens says:

Even during the World Championship, the Kostitsyn brothers are their same selves: show flashes of brilliance, unmotivated, often on the ice when opponent scores.

58. TomNickle says:

So NBC Sports thinks it would be a good idea to make a “3 in the key penalty” or reduce the size of the attacking zones to create more offense.

This is precisely why media types(no offense Mr. Boone) should not have a say in the direction of the game.

Reducing the size of the attacking zones would eliminate offensive play completely. These morons have no clue. You want more offense? Make the attacking zones bigger, not smaller. The entire concept of playing defense is to take time and space away from the attacking team. Reducing the size of the zones accomplishes that very goal immediately.

As for a three in the key rule, I think that forwards collapsing into their own slot to block shots is punishment enough. This rule would also completely prevent the first forward back from completing his J turn and would essentially eliminate breakouts. It would be chip and chase hockey. A Cunneyworth dream.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with everything.. what is the solution.. Ball hockey rule? or bigger ice surface?

• HardHabits says:

So then rather than eliminate the red line the NHL should eliminate the blue ones. What’s next? Putting the net up on a pole, eliminating the goalie and calling anyone who tries to block the puck goaltending to be punished by a free shot?

59. frontenac1 says:

Oh yeah! Love the Gump! He was one of a kind!

60. frontenac1 says:

I remember reading a story not long after Gumper passed away about his first day at training camp. He was signed out of Verdun by the Rangers. The training camp was on a football field in NY .All the players were doing exercises and lifting weights etc.and the owner of the Rangers shows up and asks a reporter,”So ,where’s this new goalie we signed?”The reporter points across the field and there is the Gumper,walking around the track,by himself,wearing shorts,black knee socks and brogues,smoking a cigarette!

61. Jim Edson says:

The list of so called retread coaches all have one thing in common, since their most recent firing none of them has kept his hat in the game.

Blabbing on TSN/RDS hardly counts!

It seems that nobody wants any of this mob and in a true open market with no affirmative action involved they have no value at all!

Only in Montreal.

That alone speaks very loud!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

62. frontenac1 says:

The Gump was a true character!One summer ,when I was a young lad growing up south of Montreal,I was hanging out at the depanneur with some buddies and a Peers Root Beer truck pulled up and out came the Gumper!Yes back in the sixties the players had summer jobs.He signed autographs for all of us, it was magical!

63. Marc10 says:

On my way to the Great Barrier Reef on a tourist trap boat filled with Chinese. Thought I’d pop in on the free Wi-Fi and see if we had a new coach yet. Guess not eh.

I’m assuming getting an experienced winner is not in the cards. Of the retreads, I’m fine with Carbo or Therrien. We need a passionate arse kicker…

Of the newbies, Roy is a proven junior coach.

Would love Big Bird to guide the kids.

Enjoy the game mates!

64. Stormin says:

Habs have to extend Max Pac this summer, to a similar long term deal like James Van Riemsdyk signed with Philly last year, or they will be looking at a significant raise in 2013.

Max Pac work ethic is second to none in the off season, and he is only going to get better ,,,, scary good,,,, = cap attack,,, extend him Bergster

• aj says:

I think the Habs will resign Patches to a long-term contract. Question is, How much? Possibly at a price of $2.5 million to $3 million a year?

65. frontenac1 says:

Gumper knows best, I like your choices! Who is this Paros lad ? Remember,”My face IS my mask”

66. gumper says:

Thought I’d drop in. It’s been a while. I have two reasons.
    1. Just wanted to distinguish myself from this dude “Gumper Knows Best” and establish my prior claim on the Gumper trademark. (Not that I have any complaints about your commentary, GKB.)
    2. Of all the retread coaches being considered, I think Carbo is the best candidate. First, he was the one who least deserved to be fired. Second, IMO, he’s the one with the highest ceiling for growth potential. And finally, he was able to manufacture a reasonable amount of scoring out of team with no more scoring talent than the current version. Just saying, he’s the best of the retreads.

• shootdapuck says:

Don’t remember any players who shed a tear when Carbo was dumped!

That must say something!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• gumper says:

You may be right, but then I don’t recall players rending their garments over the firing of any of our lengthy string of recent coaches. And besides, player popularity isn’t always the best way to select a coach.

• boing007 says:

Fortunately most of them are gone now.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

67. habsavvy says:

how about Larry Roibinson as coach?
    tho I think he only wants to be an asst coach.

68. H.Upmann says:

Lol @ Stormin hahahA… Semin is a humongous pianist, his finger strokes just has it coming in waves of orgiastic sounds lol … Sorry folks ;)

69. H.Upmann says:

Sorry.. Russians play hockey and music with no heart.. Besides it takes a GERMAN to interpret music by a GERMAN komponist ja? Doch! Jk. ;) .. Looking forward to Draft day….

70. Stormin says:

Ok i Will take a break from playing Baseball and also watching Josh Hamilton’s Triple Crown pursuit,

Although I am really into CHL Memorial Cup and the USHL Clark Cup,,, the Stanley Cup Semis have not grabbed my attention yet, Maybe the dream NY vs LA match up will.

I have not done the research but I wonder if Rangers could be the first team to make finals and play the lowest possible seed in each of their series. 1st round #8 Ottawa, 2nd Round #7 Washington, 3rd round#6 NJ, and maybe Finals #8 LA…

71. Gumper Knows Best says:

Why do y’all panic about a head coach?
    A coach coaches what’s given to him
    He doesn’t choose a team.
    Who knows what RFAs UFAs trades will be signed or made by training camp.

Hire Coco Lemaire for just 1 year.
    He has no one left to hate.
    They are all gone.

Get him Patrick Roy and Denis Savard as his associates and sign them for 3 years with the understanding that someone takes over after 1 year unless…

Get back Robinson or Pointu Guy Lapointe to take care of all the dmen on the Habs and the prospects coming.
    Hire Mario Tremblay just for fun…to open the doors at the end of the bench like he did for Coco in Minny and Jersey.
    That will keep the hounds at bay for at least 7 minutes.

Get a Q coach for Hamilton and 1 for the Habs press box until Coco leaves.

Tell the rest of the old worn out wackos at RDS to go fishing and let them continue to trash anything and everything Habs.
    What a gang of self-promoting garbage bin holders

• shootdapuck says:

Tremblay? Again?

No way, no how, never.

Leave that poison on the shelf!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

72. naweed235 says:

Bergevin needs to sign/acquire a star player to get this team rolling again. Since we all know that this team is going to go through somewhat of a rebuild for the next couple of years at least, just by the nature of the beast which is this city, fans need something to be happy about.
    I’d love to see Bobby Ryan in a Habs uni. I am sure if we dangle that 1st round pick he can be had… He is extremely underrated and can stick handle and shoot with the best of them. not to mention a more than reasonable cap hit of 5.1 till 2015

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Sureeeee
      A proven 25 year old +30 goal scorer on a team that is $20 million below the cap next year and not close to a panic?
      No way Jose naweed

• naweed235 says:

I know it’s a long shot, but everybody has their price. He is been of my my fav. players for the last 3 years and seeing the chemistry he has with MaxPac at the World’s just makes the idea more and more tempting.
        P.S good on Max… He is ranked as the #4 scoring leader after Thoreseen, Malkin and Zetterberg.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Hey I’m with you, but how does GM Murray explain to the Duck fans he traded an American born fan favourite for maybe a Russian that will show up in 2 years. Need more than that

• naweed235 says:

Oh I am sure it would take more than that 1st round pick to get him…I was suggesting it should be in play if we are talking Ryan with the Ducks…

I can’t say that I’m enthused after reading the article about the coaching choices. Same old, same old. No mention of Gallant or Savard. I was under the impression that Crawford lived in Montreal but I guess I must be wrong.

The best candidates are with other clubs so it looks like we’ll have to settle for second best. Tie goes to the guy who can develop the kids the best. That way we will be better positioned for when Bergevin picks his 2nd coach.

• shootdapuck says:

Depressing!

The same as buying car tires in the Soviet Union.

Choices are: one make, one model, all used, no new!

Retreads, take em or leave em!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

74. habsfan0 says:

How was Jack Benny’s..er, I mean Maxim Vengerov fiddle playing?