Liveblog: Finally, a W!

PCL-Scotiabank-Place

If you were outside Scotiabank Place at about 10 p.m., you saw a terrified money running through an Ottawa snowstorm.
It was the one that jumped off Randy Cunneyworth’s back.

1. habs001 says:

its a start but ottawa 29th best d in the nhl…many teams ahead have 2/3 games in hand…ak46 is in his disinterested mode …maxpac not making smart plays…only islanders scoring worse in the conference….the next few games will be very important as the nature of the league is that when bad teams lose 4-5 games they usually win one but go back to losing again…

2. kmachabs27 says:

any body notice PK brush off gorges after his goal and went straight to eller or cole, couldnt really see who it was, but ya pretty funny, at least i thought he did, check er outtt on nhl.com

3. Roger Rabbit says:

Congrats Randy and the Habs!

Great 3rd period! (No sitting on a lead)

We are now going on a roll.

I guarantee it.

4. habstrinifan says:

I posted this morning for a ‘scintillating’ win to stave of ‘judgement day’. Congrats Randy and the team… this falls into that category I think.

Nice lines. Great use recognition of Ellers overall talent and size. And some ‘bum checks’ by Subban …. all good signs.

Now onto Florida.

Sorry but I cant help inject a wish. I wont mind a trade… not a blockbuster… but something for a big forward. Justing watching the game I couldnt help but feel that if Habs could add that player then they may be stronger against teams who will become physical when down 5-2.

No whining here though. Good game and Cammy was good with LL.

Edit… good style RC using some French. Maybe you are the MAN after all… you did it without any fanfare. GOOD!

5. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Very nice win for RC. Ottawa has been very hot and the Habs just took it to them big time. Keep up the good work for two more important wins in Florida and Canadiens are right back in the hunt.

MB’s column which was posted just 22 minutes after the game ended. Not bad, at all.

This hour has 22 minutes:-)

7. jrshabs1 says:

2 thoughts:
    best 3rd period with a lead all season.
    trade P.K. A.S.A.P.

Go Habs Go!!

8. Habsolutely says:

Cunneys next bit of french:

“calme toi tout le monde”

• Canayens says:

Looks like he’ll have the last laugh after all.

“I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.”

9. nova scotia vees says:

What language will le Journal use tomorrow? Latin? Take that Rejean Tremblay.

10. arrow says:

Je suis content aussi! And I live in Ottawa, this win means alot!
    Great effort by all, keep up the good work! Love the goals from Louis Leblanc, Eller, and PK Subban, it will help with their confidence! Solid game for my favorites Josh Gorges and Carey Price! GO HABS GO!

PK

Eller had 19:17 of ice time. Moen led with 19:18.

Eller. From the press box to the top line. Wow. The roller coaster.

I like it. It’s like a jolt of coffee after being steeped on chamomile for so long.

• Just A Guy says:

I was looking forward to see how Eller would look with Cole and Patches mainly because I thought DD was getting insulated by the other 2 while Eller seemed like he just needed a winger that could keep up with him (note that he played well with AK and Leblanc).

I’m…not entirely impressed so far. He seemed a bit nervous/shaky but I’d be willing to watch them give it a few more games.

One thing that was positive though, aside from juggling lines after a powerplay, the lines were stable all game long.

• Malreg says:

Eller also had the most ice time of any forward during Cunneyworth’s first two games.

That benching was really out of left field… Something must have happened behind closed doors. Maybe he missed a meeting or something.

• HardHabits says:

In his interview on RDS he said that PK and Eller were highly skilled players and taking them out of the line-up took that element out of the Habs arsenal, but that those two players were young and needed to limit their mistakes and play the way they did tonight all the time as they were the future of the team.

12. deuce6 says:

So, when do we trade for the next “Larry Robinson”? (Jared Cowen)

You know what else was funny? Potvin blurting out that the Arena was quiet after we scored the 2nd one to take the lead…What kind of crack do they smoke in OTT, anyway? That place had just as many loud Habbers as quiet Sens’ fans..lol

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

13. Mavid says:

i care…i won’t be called a liar..by someone who was not even there…I see someone put up the video…thanks…I will accept an apology any time now….

second place is just the first loser

14. O-ZoneVertigo says:

I think I just saw Boone on TV, probably heating to the dressing room.

15. axxerd says:

Nice to Gorges shake RC’s hand post game. Also, was I setting things, or did I see Price throwing a puck in the crowd like they do in Montreal?

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

16. solomio says:

Realistically we have to chalk this up to a stone cold goalie. What was it 4 goals on 5 or 6 shots.?
    Those get stopped and its a different game. Never the less its about time shite started happening to the opposition. Habs have had their share.
    What was it RC said… Good teams make their own fortune.
    Something like that anyway.
    So be it. 2 points in the bank.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

17. slapshot777 says:

Great win for the Habs, hopefully this will give them some confidence going into Florida. Got two big points in a four point game. Leafs lose as well so a good night all way round.

18. NLhabsfan says:

Can’t be any better than this the LAFFS lose and the HABS WIN:)

19. Propwash says:

So, did the Habs win convincingly enough?

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Ha ha Anderson is signed for four years at $3.2M/year.

21. LL-not the hockey player says:

“Je suis content”…RC Go Randy Go!

22. habaholic68NJ says:

Congrats to RC. Nice job shaking up the lines and getting these guys to play an uptempo aggressive game going after a win rather than trying not to loose. Let’s keep this mindset and we may surprise ourselves at our chance for making the post season.

Final note: Please fire PG.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• HabsPEI31 says:

“lose”

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Le Jadester says:

Yup. I just saw his interview on RDS and he said some good things. I liked the way the team played 2nite and the lines were interestingly pretty good all game long. Not bad for RC especially after the benchings. He looks good for that, I guess. Congrats to him on his first win as a Habs head coach. He still has more to prove moving forward, but again not bad tonight IMO.

Habs, OLE !

PS – Emelin was coming in like a freight train on that one play with 8 minutes and change to go in the 3rd. Woulda been ugly if contact was made by the blue line there?

23. Neutral says:

Now that’s the Habs we wanna watch, Good game guys see if we can do it again and lets give our coach a little praise great job.

24. novahab says:

Message to Cunneyworth I wouldn’t book those french lessons yet .Lets see how they play in Forida , a place they don’t do welll in.

25. WVHabsfan says:

Am I dreaming?? Habs win, Habs win!!! Now a sweep in the sunshine state would be nice! Ole Ole Ole Ole! Congrats RC on your first NHL win!

“And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”–Matthew 24:14

26. showey47 says:

congrats RC

Yay. Randy spoke French!!!!

28. G-Man says:

1 in a row thanks to a horrible night at the office for Anderson. Can’t complain, though, after the Habs pot 6.
    Onwards to Florida, where seasons go to die, or play golf.

29. Habzfan says:

Congrats to the coach! Keep em coming.

30. Habsolutely says:

Congrats on the first win Cunney!!

31. habs-fan-84 says:

That was fun!
    Finally got to see Eller with TWO good wingers….FINALLY! He’s was also on the PP tonight. Again, finally!

Hope to see these lines stick for a while.

Well, on to work tomorrow, boo.
    Cheers all,

32. NLhabsfan says:

I’ll sleep better.. Didn’t except to be this nice with a win over the Sens.Sens announcer is choking on the 6-2 score:)

33. habsfaninboston says:

RC’s 1st win. Woohoo!

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Still not convinced.

• habstrinifan says:

Not a matter of being convinced yet… just encouraged. And hope I am not assuming to say that you were.

What did you think of the huge use of Eller and also the fact that you saw a couple of P.K.’S ‘bum check’ tonight. If P.K is pinning men against the boards with that bum check then he is ‘ON’.

35. Chuck says:

Have me mentioned that Chris Neil is a tool?

36. sheds88 says:

congratulations Randy !
    _______________________________________________________________________
    i don’t know why they keep comparing Carey Price to God………i mean he’s good, but he’s no Carey Price.

37. Mattyleg says:

Well that was nice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. Strummer says:

Habs win!

Leafs lose!

Egg Nog all around!!

O-effing-lay(le)

______________________________________________________
    “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
    -as posted in amusement parks across North America

The last game in Ottawa, although the Habs won, was the game, at least in the 3rd period, where the wheels fell off the Habs season. Maybe this game will be the turning point that sets the wheels back on track.

It’s only 1 game but it is still a statement one.

Luckily the Habs will be going to friendly environs in Florida with both arenas sure to be boasting many partisans in attendance.

First they notice you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. – Mohardass Gandhabits

40. Mavid says:

your right Rad…the only thing close to a goon on the sens is Caulkner…thats it…bring on the goonness…no problem..
    ah 6-2 this is more than I could have hoped for…..

second place is just the first loser

41. LL-not the hockey player says:

With 58 secs left, I guess it’s OK.

ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole

ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole ole

42. HabFanSince72 says:

Neil, Konopka and Carkner on the ice with 50 sec left.

What a joke.

43. habsfaninboston says:

The goons are out for the turds.

44. Mavid says:

screw you…i am not a liar…Moen beat Neil…period..i saw it with my own eyes..as so did 20thousand plus …keep talking

second place is just the first loser

• Mattyleg says:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

Seriously – who cares? It’s like getting into a pissing contest about who’s dad can beat up the other guy’s dad. Useless drivel. Fighting should banned from this sport.

__________________________
      “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

45. Rad says:

Should have had the 4th line on that 2nd PP

46. Bill says:

What an awesome game. Pure pleasure.

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. The Dude says:

Nice goal and now FOR THE GOON SHOW…………………

48. NLhabsfan says:

Beautiful goal nice to see them score 6 against these zeros:)

49. Bill says:

Every time Cole scores on the power-play I can’t help laughing about JM and his moronic “research”.

Full Breezer 4 Life

50. habsfaninboston says:

Cole strikes again.

51. upstrum says:

Classlessness by Ottawa

52. idle says:

P.K was just useful for the second time tonight.

53. Rad says:

Smith is the guy that Emelin just missed on that check against the boards

54. Rad says:

Goon show not happening because this is the Sens, and not the Bruins

55. Strummer says:

Florida Panties ahead of the Leafs!

Habs well out front,

That’s the 2-win version of a trifecta- whatever that is.

______________________________________________________
    “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
    -as posted in amusement parks across North America

56. NLhabsfan says:

Alf trying .. I hate that guy.

57. durocher says:

Love Emelin

58. The Dude says:

Emelin is crazy man!lol

59. NLhabsfan says:

I can imagine PK is under enormous pressure to be the guy he was last year.No wonder he is jittery.

60. The Dude says:

This is one of the better showings this year,nice to see!And with 17 million sitting out too boot………….

61. Bertuzzi says:

How come Montreal isn’t playing the trap?

• Strummer says:

Guy Boucher patented it!

Look where it got him!

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

I don’t understand. The Habs are leading 5-2 and they are pressing for more. Shouldn’t they be hanging back and protecting the lead?

63. JIMVINNY says:

Blunden with 3 hits in 10 seconds, 2 of them on Carkner.

64. Mavid says:

ahhh so happy to be home and watching the game on TSN and my old pal Rod Black…no more of those horrible homers…

second place is just the first loser

65. Mavid says:

actually I do know what i am talking about…went to a Sens vs Habs early last season…three or four rows up right behind the habs bench..saw Moen lay a beatin on Chris Neil…even got a nice shot of Tavis as he hits Neil right in the kisser….Neil needs to be careful or he will be beaten…

second place is just the first loser

66. durocher says:

Cole has some shake and bake

67. Malice says:

Ellen took a nice one for the team

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness was

68. Mattyleg says:

Dunno if anyone’s noticed, but although Eller’s decision-time is quicker than it was last year, he still gets caught in possession a heckuvalot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. habsfaninboston says:

Another P.K. brainfart.

70. Sal says:

Subban is scary with the puck in the D zone…

Sal from the Hammer

71. Rad says:

This is Eller’s coming out party. 1st line, 1st PK pairing

72. habsfaninboston says:

Great PK.

73. Chuck says:

Those point-blank scoring chances that have plagued the team all year are still driving me to drink. Which reminds me… I think that I’ll have another.

74. habsfaninboston says:

How else is he supposed to defend him?