Liveblog: Penguins stay alive with 3-2 win; Nashville eliminates Detroit

Penguins cdlebrate

Three power-play goals in the first period, and a 2-1 Philadelphia lead.
Then playoff hockey broke out.
The Penguins got goals from Jordan Staal to take a second-period lead.
Then Marc-André Fleury – who’d been lousy in this series – made 14 saves in the third period.
Back to Philly for Game 6, at noon on Sunday.

In the other Friday night game, Nashville beat Detroit 2-1 to end the Red Wings’ season. Youth and depth beat pride and experience.

Hal Gill, Frankie the Bull and the Brothers K play on.

And whought the mighty Wings would be the first playoff team to go home?

• Reading: Molson makes amends to Camalleri and Atlantic contributing editor (and major Canadiens fan) Andrew Cohen remembers the Good Friday brawl

• Laughs: Ryan Kesler’s best dives

NHL names Calder Trophy finalists

1. English is not a Crime says:

Almost time for Philly to call up Leighton. Their goalies are BRUTAL! When you can’t even stop these wrist shots from the blueline anymore, it’s time to look into a new profession.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ha, CBC online have photos of The Fonz and Torterella side by side …’cept for Torts’ fuzz, Siamese Twins :)

3. Kimberly2u says:

Kennedy looks like a monkey

4. mrhabby says:

The birds seem to have taken over.

5. mrhabby says:

Next goal bob jumps in.

6. Propwash says:

If Philly gets through this series, they’re liable for an early exit next round.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

7. Stormin says:

Way to make yourself look small Bryzgalov, dont want to get hit by the puck now do ya

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t know if Patrick Roy will be Our Moses or not …but, it will be a long missing hit of adrenaline and excitement for this long suffering’ Habaholic

9. Toe Blake says:

Bryzgolov is just freakin’ awful!

10. H.Upmann says:

Man… Jordan Staal is pretty clutch

11. Habsolutely says:

Boo Yah!!

12. Habsolutely says:

Holy cow Malkin misses the net a lot.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I thought CBC carried the Pens/Phlyers’ game …but I see only Preds/Red Wings out here online on the Wet Coast :(

14. Toe Blake says:

The scary thing is that the Flyers with a Price or a Schneider would have ended this series a game ago.

15. Stormin says:

Sorry but I would be tempted to trade our first pick, and ???? For Stall,

16. Propwash says:

Come on Philly, bury these Pens.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

@TomNickle
    …good taste in hockey players Tom …I cry when I watch Patrice Bergeron in a Bruins’ sweater

18. boing007 says:

Penguins PP needs Kaberle
    by Mike Boone 7:38 PM

Mike Boone for Habs GM!

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

19. JayK-47 says:

and their PK needs Gomez and Bourque

20. Stormin says:

Radulov scores and looks happy to be out of KHL and flying in some safer transportation between games I imagine

21. Kimberly2u says:

Boone is too funny….said the pens need Kaberle. Lol

22. Stormin says:

That is hooking really

23. Habsolutely says:

Finally, Flower makes a save.

24. Habsolutely says:

Nice save by Rinne on Fillpulla.

25. frontenac1 says:

Ditto that Stormin! And don’t miss the Winery tours!Definetly Gods Country!

• Stormin says:

The best thing one tank of gas or less to a beautiful vacation area.

26. Stormin says:

I actually agree with Milbury, he is barking about how bad that call was on Malkin’s little push, to important a game for the Refs to get this involved

27. TomNickle says:

I really love Aaron Ward as an analyst.

Didn’t like him as a player. But he’s concise, insightful and funny with TSN.

He also tweeted last night that Martin Brodeur recorded his 11th playoff point which was one more than he(Ward) recorded in his career.

Funny guy.

• Mike Boone says:

He’s bright. He was great with the media when he played.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• twilighthours says:

He was an honest player. We hated him because the habs played against him so much.

• TomNickle says:

Meh. I don’t judge players that way. Something I’ve never admitted here is that Patrice Bergeron is probably my favourite NHL player(Likely a tie between him and Toews).

I tend to dislike teams or players based on who they are rather than how good they are or how much of a pain in the butt they happen to be to the Habs.

• Stormin says:

TN you can not go wrong with those two choices Bergeron and Toews wow great to start a team with those two studs.

• twilighthours says:

So then what did he do as a player to make you hate him?

• TomNickle says:

He had his share of hits that were questionable and was quite often late getting to scrums but eager when guys had their backs turned.

• Stormin says:

That was an awesome tweet and your right Tom, Ward is a pretty interesting analyst

• habsfan0 says:

He’s also bilingual having been interviewed on RDS in French.

28. Bill says:

So Roy says the Habs thing isn’t happening, per TSN.

Some had posted here that it was a done deal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stormin says:

I dont even see him being interviewed, I think it would be way to explosive a hiring and the Habs do not need that. We could use good solid coaching background offering up some solid stability preferably with some NHL experience. Vancouver may have a say in our next coach.

• EricInStL says:

A couple of sites I go to that are very reliable for habs stuff said it was up to Roy that ther job was his.

Their info was always spot on. We’ll see.

29. Bill says:

This series absolutely sucks. Just crap pond hockey, steady stream to the penalty box, total boneheaded playing. The coaches must be losing their minds. I mean, after all the PP goals Philly has scored, a superstar, high hockey-IQ guy like Malkin takes a stupid-ass penalty like that right after tying the game? Unbelievable.

Fleury is going to wind up like Denis Lemieux.

Full Breezer 4 Life

30. Habsolutely says:

How many ex-habs does Nashville have? Boullion, AK, SK, Gill. Am I missing anyone?

31. kempie says:

Only 4 goals in 20 minutes?

B O R I N G !

32. Habsolutely says:

Pen’s are really diggin themselves a hole here.

33. frontenac1 says:

Strummer, Stormin is correct.Born and weanned in Kingston, grew up in Ajax,played for the Quinte Hawks down the road in beautiful Prince Edward County. Used to work out in same gym in Kingston in the off season.We still consider him our boy . Honest ,salt of the earth type guy you would go into any battle with.

• Stormin says:

Prince Edward County, The Sandbanks Lake on the Mountain anyone looking for some nice and not too far summer getaways can not beat the beauty of that area. Short Drive from Kingston and Port Hope about 3-3.5 hours from Montreal.

34. Habsolutely says:

stupid penalty Malkin

35. Stormin says:

Watching these playoffs , i can see quite a few goaltenders making there way up to the stage to receive NHL sweaters this summer in Pittsburgh.

36. Toe Blake says:

It’s kinda pathetic in the afterlife that Fred Shero has some skin in the playoffs and I got jack!

37. kempie says:

MAF awesome as usual.

38. TomNickle says:

Just for fun.

Defensemen taken in the top 3 of the NHL draft since the lockout.

Erik Gudbransson, Victor Hedman, Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, Erik Johnson and Jack Johnson.

Forwards taken in the top 3 during the same time.

Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Patrick Kane, Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, James Van Riemsdyk, Kyle Turris, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Gabriel Landeskog, Jonathan Huberdeau and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

I would consider the best defenseman to be Doughty, the worst to be Zach Bogosian and the middle of the pack guy to be Victor Hedman. In a weak draft I assume nothing better than Hedman to be fair.

At forward the best is obviously Crosby and the worst is probably Turris. You’re looking at middle of the pack types like Toews or Duchene.

I’ll take my chances with the forward. The one positive in all of this is that there probably hasn’t been a bust. Turris would be the closest thing to it. Every one of these players is excellent and would be a great addition to the Habs organization.

For the doom and gloomers out there Turris was a tier 2 player who Gretzky fell in love with. Turris never should have been taken in the top 3 or even top 5 of his draft.

• twilighthours says:

This makes me feel a bit better. And if toews is middle of the pack, then i would be thrilled to get mediocre.

• TomNickle says:

By middle of the pack I meant somewhere between worst and best.
        Didn’t mean to call Toews mediocre. There isn’t a player in the league I’d rather have on my team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting, thanks for framing the discussion.

If there was a clear-cut ‘man playing against boys’ type like Erik Gudbranson, I’d consider that a good option, but none of the defencemen seem to be clearly better than anyone else you can get at #10.

I’ll defer to our scouting staff, they get to meet these kids in person and talk to their parents and see them play in person, talk to the coaches, but I hope we land some skill at forward rather than another defenceman.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

39. Kimberly2u says:

Luv Giroux….he showed those pens fans

40. Bill says:

Re: Tinordi making Habs next season.
    I’ll wager.
    If he does, I’ll buy you a beer. If he doesn’t, you buy me one.
    At the summit obv.
    Takers?

Full Breezer 4 Life

41. kempie says:

Wow. I’m forced to watch an NBC feed and I’d forgotten just how annoying McGuire is AT ALL TIMES. So if, by some miracle, he does get a job in the NHL, then he’ll GTFO my tv right?

• Bill says:

If he becomes GM of the Habs he’ll GTFO your TV and right TF into your daily newsfeed. So let’s hope not.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• kempie says:

Ughn. Make him stop.

And I didn’t say with Montreal. Surely teams are lining up to hire this encyclopedia of useless hockey minutiae.

• Habsolutely says:

Well according to Marinaro Pierre McGuire is one of the four remaining candidates for Habs’ GM .

• TomNickle says:

McGuire and Geoff Molson are friends. Stranger things have happened.

McGuire’s candidacy to me has been like a really bad song. The more I hear it, it starts to grow on me.

Thankfully I haven’t heard it enough to push toward enjoying it yet.

• otter649 says:

Interesting Mariono’s inside scoops dried up after Cammy left town……

• TomNickle says:

I don’t know about Cammalleri giving info to Marinaro but he definitely gave information to Dave Pagnotta at thefourthperiod.

42. twilighthours says:

How about Z konopka? This site was divided on him last summer, and there was some pretty strong vitriol about why the habs shouldn’t get him. Well he is getting 12 minutes, is plus 1, and has been great so far for Ottawa in the playoffs.

• Bill says:

Haha, not touching this one!

Full Breezer 4 Life

Were you anti-Konopka?

• Bill says:

I was agnostic on Konopka, but anti Konopka-debate! It was ugly last summer.

EDIT: To clarify, I liked his faceoff numbers, but didn’t agree that he was the solution to our toughness problems. I wasn’t one of the ones dying to have him signed.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

I had no opinion at all. Didn’t know enough about him. He probably would have done a better job than enqvist, or whoever finished the year as out 4th line C. Seriously, I can’t even remember who our centre was. That’s how I’ve blocked this season from my mind.

43. Habsolutely says:

how bizarre would it be if this game ended up being a 1-0 game? ;-)

44. Kimberly2u says:

I wonder how many goals will be scored tonight?

45. frontenac1 says:

Cheer up Zep! 420,Vodka and Lime,Playoff Hockey;Life is Good!

46. win4ce says:

Gill’s hurt not a healthy scratch

47. twilighthours says:

Boone, Crawford hasn’t been too bad, but the 2 OT goals he allowed were softies.

48. krulmadden says:

Here I am in Hull, at Le Bistro, getting liquefied for the start of the Flyers/ Pens game. Since Giroux is an ex-Olympiques, he’s a god. Same with Brière as he’s from this area

49. frontenac1 says:

I hear ya,Stormin. Erskine has 1 year left at $1.5 mill. Maybe we could trade some Swiss Cheese for some Good Old Kingston Grit!

• Stormin says:

In a second swiss cheese for a former top defenseman in OHL and a another Kingston boy (6’4 225 plus hard to call boy) on the habs

• Strummer says:

I thought Erskine grew up in Ajax?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Stormin says:

Born in Kingston did play his Midget AAA hockey in Ajax/Pickering not sure if he grew up their though

50. pmaraw says:

help me stuff the ballot box please

vote for nhl13 cover player

51. LA Loyalist says:

Check out weasel boy’s (Gary Bettnoirman) comments on TSN about the suspensions so far in the playoffs and what a great job his buddy Shanny is doing.

I would have posted it sooner, but I had to go and puke first.

52. Greg says:

I think this draft is a crapshoot. Outside of Yakupov (and I’m not entirely sold on him) it’s a real coin-toss. Maybe Gringorenko will be another Sergei Samsonov. Maybe not. Maybe Filip Forsberg ends up like Peter Forsberg. Maybe not. This draft, like all drafts, will look obvious in hindsight, but I think it’s a really tough call this year.

That’s why the scouts earn the big bucks I guess right? In Trevor Timmins we trust.

• twilighthours says:

If there are question marks around the forwards, then take Murray. I’ll disagree with Ol’ Nickle. Take the best player available. Get stacked on D. Trade a one of these D for a stud frward. It can happen (see goligoski for Neal).

• LA Loyalist says:

… nice. And you know what? A Murray can never hold the KHL to your head, either. I’m no Don Cherry fan, but a good Canadian boy on the back end… it would give us the room to deal for a known quantity up front with a better sense of fitting him in to complement the other forwards.

• Greg says:

The knock on Murray is that he’s not awesome at anything, just good at everything. What about Dumba? He’s supposed to be blue-chip.

• Bill says:

Murray is generally ranked higher than Dumba, and actually he’s supposed to be pretty awesome at everything!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TomNickle says:

Off hand Brad, can you think of a trade where an elite prospect on defense was moved for a package that included a better forward?

The only one that I can think of is Brent Burns which saw Minnesota get Devon Setoguchi and Charlie Coyle. That deal is still a crap shoot though because Coyle while highly impressive is still a prospect.

I honestly can’t recall a trade where an excellent prospect on defense landed the other team a better player at any position. The defense position while tremendously important is much easier to fill than the forward position.

• Greg says:

I disagree. It may be that you can’t recall a trade like that because clubs rarely trade excellent defensemen or defensive prospects.
            And because this just came to me, David Rundblad for Kyle Turris.

• twilighthours says:

Since we are talking about players that won’t be top liners for a while anyway, why does it have to be a project? In a couple years, it could be beaulieu that gets dealt after he’s already had some time in the show.

I’ve stayed away from the discussion of prospects but man this isn’t an easy choice.

• TomNickle says:

And with Runblad the Senators had to include a 2nd round pick.

Also a bad trade(I know it’s irrelevant) because Turris demanded a trade and wanted out.

For all of Turris’ accolades, which are few he actually hasn’t shown much promise at all. #3 overall pick that Gretzky of all people made who only has 75 points in close to 200 games.

I don’t know that I’d be calling the Senators a winner in that trade.

• Ozmodiar says:

Goligoski for Neal/Niskanen? Not really a prospect, but neither is Burns.

Oh, and how about Ryan McDonagh?! (snicker)

• TomNickle says:

Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen definitely qualifies.

• Mark C says:

History shows that drafting D’s in the top-3 or top-5 is risky. The bust rate has been much higher for D’s.

• Greg says:

I think likely drafting D in general is more risky. The position is harder to project than forwards or goalies. So much of playing D is poise, and more than that, poise under NHL pressure. Very difficult for scouts to project something like that.

• TomNickle says:

Because defenseman that can wow you enough to use a pick on them that high have usually reached their potential already.

And the time honoured philosophy that defense can be taught(which it can) and offensive creativity can’t.

• twilighthours says:

I’m feeling like grigorenko or galchenyuk could be busts, too.

Good thing it’s not my decision. I’ll just bitch about it for 10 wyears if it is a bad one.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t have a problem with Murray. I have issues with using that high of a pick on a defenseman who isn’t ready to step in from day one and on top of that develop into one of the game’s elite.

With all of that said. If I had the 5th pick of the draft and Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Malcolm Subban were gone I’d take him(Murray).

53. habstrinifan says:

I used the word KARMA in a post. I honestly believe that HABS are in for some serious good Karma. The world is taking on a beautiful red hue. The CH moon is in its ascendancy.

54. frontenac1 says:

Hey Stormin.Did you see Erskine”s first game back since Feb last night? Played well! I really liked the look he gave Thornton when he chirpped him. (Up 2 to 1 ,8min left and it was like “I will destroy you when I want”)Man,I would love to see him in Habs jersey next year!

• Stormin says:

Just having him on the ice makes Washington better, sorry to say Boston has changed the game, every team needs to have some serious toughness on their club to compete.

That would have been a hell of a go two big boys, Thorton did not seem to be to excitred about going with Erskine, Erskine still has another year left on his contract but he would be the type of tough Dman 6’4 with size we could use definetely would love to have him on our team.

• Greg says:

You’re not wrong. I am intrigued, however, at how good Boston is going to be when Tim Thomas retires, or inevitably begins a downward spiral toward the end of his career.

• Stormin says:

Or runs for office for the tea party, man is he one strange dude. i would assume if Tukka gets healthy, Boston would have to look at saying goodbye in the off season to the distraction known as Tim Thomas, who also threw his teammates under the bus after their loss last night.

55. Habsolutely says:

I think it’s fair to say that whoever gets the Habs GM position is gonna be under some serious scrutiny. Where he lives, the food he eats, does he speak french. This guy is gonna be under an electron microscope.

56. Mike D says:

Saw a few comments about Tinordi possibly joining the Habs next year and a few other posters getting excited about it.

Not to be a buzz kill, but I highly doubt he’ll be ready for NHL action next year. He will need at least 1 full year in Hamilton before making the jump properly. He’s a good player with a lot of potential, but he won’t be ready for NHL action next year.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• twilighthours says:

If subban did, ten tinordi certainly does.

• GrimJim says:

Subban didn’t. PK played 77 games with Ham in 2009-10. He played 2 regular season games with Mtl in Feb that year, then 7 playoff games called up 26 April. He made the HAbs permanently for the start of 2010-11

• habstrinifan says:

The expectations of a defenseman like Subban and one like Tinordi are different. Subban’s game is more comprehensive and complex. Tinordi’s is simple..stay at home and clear the front of the net. An easier development curve to risk in the NHL.

It was interesting to hear Sergio Momesso on it being a reasonably good decision to accelerate Tinordi’s career because of his size.

• twilighthours says:

I hope I’m wrong (see below, it happens all the time), but as far as I can tell, tinordi will never be as good as subban in any aspect besides being big, so I don’t see how tinordi can skip the development that pK required.

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry Twilight but I think you are mis-reading me. TiNordi wont be as good as Subban… I agree. But that’s just it. He doesnt have to be. All he has to be is a meaner, little bit more mobile, more physical Hal Gill clone.

Comparing Subban and Tinordi where did that come from. Totally not applicable

• twilighthours says:

Someone suggested that tinordi could skip the A and come to the show next year. I suggested that since subban couldn’t, tinordi won’t be able to.

• Stormin says:

Physically he is ready and will only get stronger, the biggest adjustment will be the speed and being able to make NHL D_man decisions, Would love to see a Hal Gill or Larry Robinson get their mitts on him for some serious tutoring. I would rather see Tinordi in uniform than Weber or Diaz, we may be able to give him some time in AHL depending on who we sign as UFA’s,

• Mark C says:

It’s crazy talk, no need to rush the kid. Oh well, some people think that a guy who’s been a TV talking head for the better part of a decade would make a great GM.

• habstrinifan says:

Some people thought a player-agent with absolutely no front office experience would be a GREAT GM candidate …until even he looked in the mirror and karma saved us.

• GrimJim says:

“a player-agent with absolutely no front office experience ” like Mike Gillis?

• Mark C says:

Mike Gillis seems to be doing at least OK. A player agent at least has a high level of management skill, player and front office connections, understanding of CBA and cap, and negotiation skills.

I would contend he looked in his wallet, and not the mirror.

• LA Loyalist says:

Thank you! The LAST thing we need is kids being rushed up to the big team… and 2 points about Tinordi in particular – the large body can take longer to mature, and playing D generally takes longer to learn.

Larry Robinson is the classic example of bringing a guy up carefully. The first thing the new regime has to do, before they even ask where the whizzer is, is to learn from the mistakes of the previous GM.

Luckily, HIO is here, and more than willing to help out.

• Old Bald Bird says:

We mustn’t rush the kids. Every other team can have them come up and star but not the exalted Habs. Nosiree.

• Bill says:

You must be joking. Who was the last prospect the Habs DIDN’T rush?

Price, Subban, Leblanc, Pacioretty, Latendresse … all these guys made the Habs way too quickly and could have used more development time.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Old Bald Bird says:

The only one of that lot who hasn’t done well is Lats. It drives me crazy that other teams can have youthful stars except us. On some level, we are doing something wrong.

57. frontenac1 says:

PG! The guy NEVERED played or coached hockey. “Nuff said.

• twilighthours says:

Agreed! This is why I’m concerned for the potential hiring of brisebois.

• Stormin says:

I only see Brisebois as an assistant and i can not see him making that lateral move again.

58. habstrinifan says:

Cana nyone confirm reports re AK46 complaining about his ‘ice time’ in Nashville now?

59. Stormin says:

Let the fun begin Friday night playoff hockey all over North America With NHL playoffs on TV

Thank God for unlimited bandwidth Streaming Junior Hockey on Multiple montors.
    QMJHL
    St John (Nathan Beaulieu) vs Chicoutimi ( Charles Hudon)

Halifax (Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathon Drouin) vs Rimouski (Francis Beauvillier)

USHL Dubuque (Mike Matheson & Zemgus Zirgensons) vs Indianna (Robbie Baillargeon)

Later tonight Tri City with Patrick Holland.

Jarred Tinordi and London won last night over Kitchener 3-2 in Overtime, Tinordi may make the Habs next year at 6″7 and A very physical shut down D- Man ( who drops the gloves for his team-mates when needed) will be hard pressed to send him down if he has a great camp.

• habstrinifan says:

I love your report on Tinordi. It would solve one of our needs if he can and does make it and gives us 10 to 15 mins per game early on.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought you weren’t commenting?

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

Not on Tinordi… only on that other thing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I see. You’re not no-commenting on Jared Tinordi. But yes you have no comment on… what exactly?

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• twilighthours says:

I think it’s don cherry, but can’t be sure.

• GrimJim says:

I think its McGuire, or maybe discipline, or maybe 420 (which is also a class of sailing boat)
            Maybe trini should comment on what subject (s)he is no-commenting on so we can stop commenting on what… oh forget it.

• habstrinifan says:

Come on guys … read between the lines man. It’s a slam dunk what I aint commenting on.

Hey this is all fun.. stuff. Makes up for the habs on the sidelines.

• Stormin says:

Tinordi is certainly ready for the NHL physically, would be nice to have Larry Robinson on the coaching staff working with him.

• habstrinifan says:

Are you sure you are not doing a Vulcan mind meld of my thoughts. I have repeatedly posted my wish that Larry come on board. I even suggested a scenario where a certain person being hired for GM would raise the chances of Larry… oh wait… no comment.

• habstrinifan says:

I wrote a lengthy post saying same and citing Momesso as someone who thinks as you do.

60. Un Canadien errant says:

Some of the harshest criticism on Brendan Shanahan’s performance as VP of Player Safety.

We often question or deride each others’ credentials as a poster based on a position taken in the past which proved to be wrong. So we often take a moment to present our bona fides when discussing issues or presenting an opinion, ie: “I hated the Gomez (Chelios, Roy, LeClair-Desjardins, …) trade from the moment it was announced.”

“I can’t believe the Canadiens drafted Fischer (Chouinard, Kostitsyn,…), I knew at the time they should instead have drafted ….”

“I loved the Erik Cole (Alexei Emelin, Jeff Halpern, …) signing from day one.”

Well, in this case, I need to come out and admit that I had full confidence in Brendan Shanahan when he was appointed. I snorted at others who pointed out, presciently, the he himself was a borderline thug who was suspended multiple times. I figured his track record on the competition committee ensured he would be a breath of fresh air, and that he couldn’t possibly be worse than the fatally-biased and under-equipped Colin Campbell. Right?

Well I admit now that I was wrong, and the naysayers were right. The naysayers were right when I and a few others got all excited in the pre-season when he doled out ‘record’ suspensions, and they cautioned us to wait until a ‘star’ had to account for an act of violence, and to wait until the games mattered. You were right, crusty curmudgeons and cynics. I was naive, I bought the Big Lie, I drank the Kool-Aid. It is business as usual. Jeremy Jacobs, Colin Campbell and Don Cherry are still steering the ship.

Mea maxima culpa.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

I’ll disclose:

I liked the Gomez deal. Liked the cammalleri signing. Was indifferent about the gionta signing. Was unsure of the halak deal. Liked letting hamrlik walk. Felt unsure about the Markov deal. Loved the cole signing. Liked the Martin firing. Hated the kaberle trade. Loved the bourque deal. was unsure of of Gauthier firing.

In retrospect:

So wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Still unsure. Right. Now sure: I don’t like it. Right. Who knows? Right. Probably wrong. Now sure: Gauthier is an idiot.

• LA Loyalist says:

Maybe we need a blanket disclaimer, like the legal in car ads, at the bottom each post, setting our our history of positions on say, the top 10 topics of the current season, so we instantly know if we’re dealing with a PriceBot or Scott Gomez’s cousin.

I’m only sort of kidding.

I’ll throw in the biggest mea culpa of all: I practically cried the day Bob Gainey was hired as GM. If that call can be wrong, then anything can be wrong.

• twilighthours says:

Everyone in habville celebrated that night. No shame in being wrong on that one.

I loved it so much that I’m still not ready to say gainey was a mistake. Hurts too much.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was so confident that the ship was in good hands when Bob Gainey was the Captain and Guy Carbonneau was the Second Officer. I thought we were out of the wilderness. Doubt crept in when Mr. Carbonneau was fired, and with the signings of Roman Hamrlik and Jaro Spacek. Nothing against these gentlemen personally, but I didn’t understand giving boatloads of cash to other teams’ rejects and mercenaries. I didn’t get how they fit in to the organization.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

That

61. habstrinifan says:

No comments until I comment on what I risk not comment for fear that such comments would draw unfriendly comments from some of the commentariat who sees the over-the-top commentary style of someone who is paid to comment as irrefutable proof of his incompetence.

All I say is what I have been saying so many times this year… the ability of ‘reading between the lines’ is a valuable asset to cultivate.

End of my no comment.

62. Habber61 says:

For me, its basically a toss up between Galchenyuk or Murray. When you get chance at a guy like A. Gally, who is being compare to the like of Johnny T or Hossa, you draft the guy. With the draft being weak, I wouldnt rush him to crack the lineup next season. Let the dude develop and dominate another year and bring him for the 2013 season. I dont see anybody capable of cracking a lineup unless your name is Yakupov, maybe Murray.

Same goes for Ryan Murray. A kid thats being compared to S.Niedermayer. You can never have too many D. By the time Marky’s contract is up, he most likely will be expandable with Ryan Murray already being projected to compete for a spot next year.

I was wanting Grigs since the season ended, but lately he has been raising too many red flags. Take the safe person but get the most bang for your buck.

• TomNickle says:

Top 3-5 picks shouldn’t be used on defensemen unless you are 100% certain that they will be elite, hall of fame calibre players. Better to take a risk on a potentially elite forward with one of those picks than to go with the “safe” defenseman.

Edit: Would you rather have Teemu Selanne or Scott Niedermeyer?

That’s essentially what it boils down to.

• HabFab says:

Tom, off subject but noticed you have been opposed to some names for GM. Who are on your short list?

Sorry for the delay.

I like some off the board candidates. Denis Savard and Bobby Smith specifically.

I would like very much for Molson and Savard to pry Tallon out of Florida also.

My list of five would be Tallon, Savard, Smith, Carbonneau and Carrierre.

• Ozmodiar says:

Bobby Smith!!

Love the excitement.

• HabFab says:

In your comment below about drafting a forward or defenseman for potential upside. Well that is my thinking about a GM, want someone young, outside and extremely smart…going for a home run or at least another Sam ;) There are 3 or 4 that meet this and since Geoff won’t give me a vote, await like all the others.

• smiler2729 says:

I’m with ya on that.

Drafting Ryan Murray would make up for giving away Ryan McDonagh.

And Galyenchuk seems like the best bet over the Russian wildcards of Yak & Grinks.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

• habstrinifan says:

Markov’s contract may outlast Markov’s knees. Just saying.

• Ozmodiar says:

Comparisons are always being tossed around. They seem to vary to the point where they aren’t very useful.

Grigo’s been compared to Malkin, Thornton, V Kozlov, Spezza, Yashin.

In Gally’s case, he’s also been compared to Dave Bolland.

• TomNickle says:

There is a common thread with those players however. They’re all very good in tight quarters and had elite vision on the ice with the exception of Kozlov. Grigorenko is dangerous with the puck from anywhere whether it be making a fantastic play to get time and space, make a pass or get a quality shot away.

63. habsfan0 says:

Today is 420 day…aka marijuana day.

How did this day get its start?

Probably has NOTHING to do with the fact that this day is also the anniversary of the birth of the biggest mass murderer in history.

64. HabsFansince49 says:

Class act on Geoff Molson’s part – sending Cammalleri his jersey and as if we needed to be reminded, Gauthier was bad, real bad! He is an ideal actor for a villain in a Superman movie. Let’s hope a new day dawns.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Already classiness is returning to our beloved franchise.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Molson does seem to get it.

Why wasn’t the media telling us these stories about Mr. Gauthier’s meanness, and how he was detested by his players? I was prepared to give him enough rope, and I felt comfortable once he made the Kaberle trade that he had to be replaced, but felt all-in-all that he wasn’t horrible, just unpopular. Only now are we getting a full picture of who the man is, and he certainly doesn’t fit the profile of who I would want steering the ship.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

The media did report that the PG went into the room to address the players and the players LAUGHED…I repeat LAUGHED at him.

I never repeated it here cause I had no proof and the ‘source’ would have raised immediate knee-jerk unpleasantness from many here.

• LA Loyalist says:

I got yelled at here for posting the story about PG wanting $1200 jersey (since of course vindicated) and I couldn’t reveal my source for fear of never getting a nugget again. I think if you put a full disclaimer of the circumstances we can decide for ourselves. We’re not idiots… well some of us aren’t :-)

65. HabFab says:

Girl guide cookies are so yummy!!
    Bet the potheads would love to have some :D

66. Habsolutely says:

Boone’s taking time from his 420 festivities to do a liveblog? Always the consummate professional.

67. TomNickle says:

Just posted on the other thread that Dave Reid(GM of the Peterborough Petes) said during the 2nd intermission that Filip Forsberg will be the second overall pick of the draft.

He knows Scott Howson very well and isn’t the type to set up smoke screens for people.

Looks like we’ll be taking one of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko or Murray and I for one couldn’t be happier.

• Dr.Rex says:

the last two mock drafts I have seen have Grigs at #14 and #17 respectively. Taking him would be like the Kings taking Tomas Hickey at #4 a few years back.

• TomNickle says:

That is as big of an exaggeration as I’ve seen regarding a prospect. Have any links to these mock drafts?

Grigorenko falling to the 6th overall pick would be shocking.

Grigorenko has elite talent and has proven it on the ice with elite offensive production.

*********Still waiting on these alleged mock drafts that have Grigorenko going #14 and #17 doctor***********************************************

• GrimJim says:

NHL.com has mock drafts by three scouts with Grigs going either second or third

• TomNickle says:

Yeah I know. I’m referring to alleged mock drafts that have Grigorenko going #14 and #17.

I’d like a bit of whatever the person who did them was on.

• Stormin says:

I have not been A big proponent of Drafting Grigorenko. That said I have not seen any mock drafts from scouts that have him going that low, His size and ability will keep him a very high pick, his performance of late may turn out to be attributed to a nagging foot injury which playing through aggravated other issues.

On another note all these NHL scout mock drafts out there, unfortunately most of them have local Pointe Claire prospect Mike Matheson going late in the first round, was hoping he might be availabe when the Habs pick at #33, does not look good, from what I am hearing, he is high on Chicago, Boston , St Louis and Pittsburgh wish list. Another local talent lost to the Bruins or Pens, Damn. and he will be a steal as A late first rounder or early second round pick.

• TomNickle says:

You may not like Grigorenko Stormin. But Malkin disappears for stretches too. It also hasn’t been speculation that Grigorenko’s been dealing with injury, it’s fact.

Skill wins out. Hard working teams without skill finish at the bottom consistently. Leafs are a great example. Do Joey Crabb, Darryl Boyce, Colby Armstrong, Mike Komisarek and their like players work hard? Sure they do. But that hard work doesn’t get them anything at the end of the day other than pride because they don’t have the skill as a team to be successful long term.

I’ll take a lazy Grigorenko instead of a hard working Forsberg as I’ve said many times. We have hard workers. Time to add an elite talent and hope that our leadership group can make him into a hard working, elite skilled player.

• jon514 says:

That stuff is nonsense perpetuated by TSN. The difference between what most people project and Craig Button projects is thew difference between night and day.

If you believe TSN McGuire is a good candidate for habs GM. Also I have some land down in Florida I’d like to sell you….

• Un Canadien errant says:

The only mock draft I’ve seen where Mikhail Grigorenko is slated that low is Craig Button’s. He seems pretty down on him, which is fair, it’s not wrong, but it’s not consensus either.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

68. Greg says:

Can you guys believe this?! Gauthier wanted Cammy to PAY for the last jersey he wore in Montreal. What an ass.

• Dr.Rex says:

But Goats looks like such a nice and gentle man.

• Stormin says:

I have been telling this story to anyone who cared too listen, A little bird told me about this happening right after the Boston game. All I could say was f…….. unbelievable, PG was absolutely hated by the team and obviously the one cookie media.

• jon514 says:

AHAHAHAHHA! CookieMonster strikes again!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

NHL teams can’t buy their players a doughnut without violating the CBA.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Timo says:

Well… i’d rather Cammi gave some of his salary back. No way he was scoring worth 5 mil / year.

Right now, Mike Smith and Pekka Rinne are the best players in the NHL (with apologies to Claude Giroux).

Go Preds Go!

70. Psycho29 says:

Tony Marinaro announces at Noon that Pierre McGuire is one of the four remaining candidates for Habs’ GM……

Now Canadiens’ fans are rioting in downtown Montreal.

:-)

• HabFab says:

Sad to see this, was involved in the mid 70’s myself. Got turned off by the radicalism and was able along with fellow reps, to get my school mates to withdraw from the protests and confrontations at that time.

71. Dr.Rex says:

So I hadnt heard a peep regarding Pierre McGuire during the GM search then I stumbled across an article on teh CJAD website saying McGuire and Brisebois have survived first cuts. IS this true? Can anyone touch on this or is it just BS.