Liveblog: Devils win 4-2, Flyers on the brink

Brodeur

Dainius Zubrus scored twice, including the winner and an empty-netter.
Martin Brodeur wons on his 40th birthday … and gets an assist on Zubrus’s second goal.
The Devils had a 32-12 shot advantage through 40 minutes.
Their ferocious forecheck is killing the Flyers.

•  •  •

Goodbye, Blues.

Wow! The Kings have eliminated the top two seeds in the Western Conference.

And you have to like their chances against either Nashville or Phoenix.

1. aj says:

Interesting topic right now. So, Bergevin got an administrative job partly due to Quennville.

I’m having a feeling that Dregger from TSN is right from what he said about the New GM. Marc Bergevin is going to hire the ppl ‘he knows’ best.

so the possible lineup running the show for the players next season are:

GM – Marc Bergevin
    Assis. GM – Mike Dudley
    Head Coach – Joel Quenneville (possible)

• Ali says:

JQ better brush up on his french, i met him a few years ago along with some others of the Hawks management staff before we hired Jacques Martin and I asked if Joel would want to job and they all laughed and said he didnt speak french, but that Dale Talon did.

• aj says:

Bergevin be extra careful on this one. The last thing Montreal and its fans need right now is another ‘language controversy’ regarding whether the head coach speaks french or not.

I’m sick and tired of it! Also, the Habs don’t need another Pierre Gauthier scenario looming at their backs with this.

• cojohnso80 says:

Who the heck is “Mike” Dudley and why do you want him to be A/GM?

2. L Elle says:

Hard to tell which team has the edge here.

The goaltending in this series is less than good. As much as I love Marty (I know, Hab fans aren’t supposed to), he needs to either retire or accept a secondary role. And Bryz…what a dumb contract, so far anyway.

• Habfan10912 says:

Goaltending aside, it looks like Team Canada (Devils) vs Team Bermuda (Flyers) . Team Bermuda needs to start winning some battles or ole Marry can get himself a chair and sit and enjoy the 3rd.

———————————–

3. chelseafan says:

If Torres got 25- Giroux should get at least 2!

4. Chuck says:

Headshot, no doubt. Where do they get a 2 minute high sticking penalty from that?!

___________________________________________________

5. Stormin says:

New jersey is doing to Giroux , what the Flyers did to Crosby,, ie getting them off their game,,, or as Gary Galley would say they are playing out of their pinwheel

6. HabFanSince72 says:

How can that be 2 min?

If its a legal hit it’s no penalty. If it’s illegal it’s a direct hit to the head from the blind side. Can’t be two minutes. Either 5 and a gam or no pen.

Bush league.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• twilighthours says:

Is there a 2 min head hit penalty? I believe there is

• Chuck says:

Unless, of course, you instead call a non-existing high stick because you don’t have the balls to make the right call against their best player.

___________________________________________________

7. aj says:

Giroux used his shoulder to hit the head as his principal point of contact – possible additional discipline from Shanny I think.

8. frontenac1 says:

Giroulx just smoked Zubrus!Ouch!

9. twilighthours says:

Alrighty, giroux fanboys, how do you defend that?

10. shootdapuck says:

Pinwheels from a pinhead!

What a pair of losers Cole and Galley!

The two Stooges!

11. twilighthours says:

Not worth the $148,583,965,821.00 contract but man is kovalchuk a player

12. durocher says:

Zubrus wide open, another missed check by the Flyers

13. frontenac1 says:

Zubrus! Nice work

14. JayBee says:

Philly’s done. Series over. Rebuild the D in the offseason.

15. issie74 says:

OMG! Zach Parisse is the hardest working player on the ice,he never takes a shift off.An honest hockey player.

NorthTOHab

16. Stormin says:

This game is so good , I have not even noticed if Bob (I know my Name) Cole is having a non dementia night

17. habstrinifan says:

So does anyone else have to fight the urge to simply type Marc when posting on Bergevin. It’s like he’s family already.

18. Stormin says:

Desperate hockey, compete time , love this hockey

19. joshbenn says:

Loving how the kings are playing but don’t you think that their future isn’t that bright considering all the assets they’ve given up to acquire richards,carter and penner?

• JayBee says:

Brown, Carter and Richards are not old either. They’re all 27. Doughty is in his early 20’s and Quick is 26. They’re doing alright.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Kings were a top 3 rated team in org strenght just a year ago, and after moving assets to become a cup contender, they still rate #5 by Hockeys’ Future. Looks to me they might contend for some time..

20. Mavid says:

is any one else’s feed on CBC doing some trippy stuff..or am i having a flashback

21. Mavid says:

Gary loves his pinwheels…goof

22. Wakeham321 says:

Cherry showing Bruins clips even though they’re playing golf! I guess it’s Leafs tomorrow night.

23. habstrinifan says:

Just wondering.. not looking to start any argument here. But the fact that Dudley seems eager to jump ship from Toronto where he would be much more likely to ‘advance’ in his career… does it mean that he is such good friend with Bergevin or he is ‘fed’ up or disillusioned with Burke…. or both.

Looks like agreat hire based on all reports re Dudley’s ability and the working relationship between him and Bergevin.

• habsfan0 says:

I’m assuming that the Habs received permission from the Leafs to speak with Dudley, otherwise, they’d be charged with tampering,no?

• habstrinifan says:

Since there is no question of compensation there may not be rules re tampering. It seems that there is only the matter of teh employee’s contract and professional courtesy. I looked on internet but saw no definitive answer.

Of course the employee himself would be legally bound to his contract term unless there is an out clause.

• joshbenn says:

In toronto he’s only a director of player personel i think. toronto has alot of assistant general managers so he wouldn’t have much room to advance. Here he’s a guarenteed assistant general manager and will have some role of scouting and developping talent. Him knowing Bergevin from their time in Chicago is just extra

• Habfan10912 says:

Fair question habsintrin. I wonder if this would be a significant promotion with addition salary?

———————————–

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s generally accepted that at 63 Mr. Dudley is on the downslope of his career, so he’s not really looking for career advancement right now, but rather the right situation. He might feel Montréal is a better opportunity, might have a better comfort level working with his protégé Marc Bergevin.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

I hadn’t realized he was that old. You are absolutely right.. at that age being in an environment with his obvious friend Bergevin may be easier and nicer than hanging around Burke.

24. Stormin says:

Gary Galley ,,,, it’s not really in his pinwheel, what the hell ???

25. durocher says:

Nice job by Fayne

26. frontenac1 says:

Was Cherry drunk? He kept fading in and out of thought progessions.Poor bugger.

27. durocher says:

So LeBrun writes favorably about the Kings AFTER they’ve gone 8-1 in the playoffs and knocked off the top two seeds in their conference? That is some bold reporting. Yes, the Kings are doing great and it seems they will do well this playoffs. Write about something less obvious and use your position to give us insight on things we don’t know.

28. JayBee says:

Wouldn’t be a Coach’s Corner without Don slandering Russians.

29. aj says:

from the way cherry is dressed on camera, he makes me sleepy! dude just can’t stop yappin’ and yappin’!

don’t know why HNIC is wasting money having him….:(

30. punkster says:

You know, with a jacket like that I could invite him over to my place, dig a hole in the front garden, plant my own personal “Cherry” tree, and watch the neighbourhood dogs line up to pee on him.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

31. L Elle says:

Somewhere, someplace, someone is missing a tacky bedspread.

Don Cherry made a suit out of it.

32. commandant says:

Memo to Don Cherry… the Bruins lost because they played like the Bruins. The Kings won cause they played like the Kings.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

33. Stormin says:

Cherry is wearing my shower curtains

34. Mattyleg says:

Heya gang,
    Holy predictions, Batman!
    I called the Blues to win it all!
    I’m glad I didn’t put my money where my mouth is…

Pullin’ for the Kings now. I really liked them too, but given the statistics about 8th-place teams winning the Stanley Cup, I wrote them off IMMEDIATELY. Just getting into the playoffs isn’t nearly enough to win the Cup. ;) Ohh… this is nice…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Mavid says:

i am sure i saw Santa behind the Flyer’s bench

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Guys, guys, let’s back off the talk of Rick Dudley covertly feeding the Canadiens info on the Leafs’ scouting results, or on whether he can leave without Brian Burke’s consent and basically dare him to sue. All this is unreasonable.

These guys operate in a climate of gentlemen’s agreements. They have some professional ethics. If that’s the way it plays out, that Mr. Dudley can’t join the Canadiens until after the draft, that’s completely sensible, and he will apply himself and do the best he can for the Leafs until he takes on his new responsibilities with his new team.

We’ve all given our resignation notice to a workplace before and had to fulfill our obligations for a while, and I’m sure we all did our best until the date of resignation. There’s no need to imagine black ops and James Bond scenarios in the case of the Rick Dudley hire.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

37. durocher says:

JVR missed his check on that Zidlicky goal

38. frontenac1 says:

Tie Game ! Zid! Man the Devils have been all over the Flyers.

• aj says:

looks like the Flyers have their work got cut out due to the Devils. I give credit w/ their system of playing hockey and coach Peter Deboer is doing a good job making this team stick with it.

39. Propwash says:

Todd making his case for the Habs to hire Lemaire. Doesn’t he want to retire?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

40. Stormin says:

What a feed to Sykora, I think by Zidlicky

41. frontenac1 says:

Sykora ! 2-1

42. frontenac1 says:

Wow! Talbot had rockets on! 2-0

43. ProHabs says:

Boone being a tad hard on the legendary Bob Cole these days.

• neumann103 says:

Huh? Bob Cole was terrible before he went senile, and now that he is about 6 or 7 years past that point he is just an atrocious distraction.

The criticism of Cole is factual. Just retire already. The CBC canned talent like Chris Cuthbert and held on to Cole? Give me a break.

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Time to retire the legend. Past time actually.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

44. nickster13 says:

Who wants to bet that if Dudley is hired, the TSN headline will be “Dudley do-right”. Just my prediction. Thoughts on the infamously corny headlines?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

45. frontenac1 says:

Flyers draw first blood!

46. ProHabs says:

One thing that was very clear after watching the St. Louis – LA game this afternoon is that if the Habs had to play 1 of those teams in 4 straight games, the Habs would be so beat down that they would be screaming for mercy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Would not have been pretty that’s for sure. But those days will soon be gone. WeHabs are on the way back!

———————————–

47. Habfan10912 says:

What happend to the Flyers. They don’t look like they’re ready to play tonight. Completely off their game.

———————————–

48. Propwash says:

Was it something I said???

Gotta love those random logouts.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

49. aj says:

Take a look at this guys, looks like the Canadians and the Americans would have to Keep their heads Up at the World Championships:

Just saw this report at Yahoo Sports Canada. Good thing though, Sheriff Shanny is not doing IIHF work.

NHL influence on headshots, don’t you just love it?

• Habfan10912 says:

Probably just moved up on The Bruin draft board. Thanks for sharing AJ.

———————————–

• aj says:

no problem. say, how come horton is not playing? even lucic is not there…???

team Canada needs these douches to do some damage out there.

• Habfan10912 says:

Not sure about Lucy, maybe serving a prison sentence of some type. :) Horton still dealing with injury.

———————————–

• nickster13 says:

Probably breaking up the catfight between his exhaust for brains girlfriend and Corey Schneider’s squeeze.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

50. mrhabby says:

Just to be clear if Rick Dudley leaves to join Bergevin..there are no penalties or legal action against the habs. this was outlawed in the last cba. teams can ask permission and take managers/execs from other teams.

ps..dudley has an out in his contract.

Go N.J. Go !

52. Boomer says:

For anyone interested, hockey’s future has a cool article for every team in the nhl called “the prospects awards” here’s the link for our boys.

cheers

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can’t express adequately the optimism I feel with the Bergevin decision as Our new GM …He is a Montrealaise ‘coming Home’ …and, He is saying all the right things, so far

…but, I also see people here talking Hartley, Quenneville, Crawford, Vigneault, for Coach

…the sole ‘raison’ many of Us, speaking, at least, for Myself, are Montreal Canadiens’ Fans are Our memories of the Glory Years …for example, it was Bob Gainey, love Him or hate Him, that brought Myself back from the verge of indifference to My Habs’ Fandom

…so many years preoccupied living in other parts of the World and Canada, plus almost 20 years of Habs’ suckitude will do that to a once passionate Habs’ Fan

…Gainey, and then Carbo, were My wake-up calls that re-energized My Fandom …notwithstanding Their end-results

…through the years, I had seen Gainey, Lemaire and Lapointe go off to Minnesota/Dallas, Fergie to the Jets as a Manager, Big Bird to the Kings/Devils, Riseborough to the Flames, Lafleur to the hated Nordiques and hapless Rangers, …even earlier, I had painfully watched Doug Harvey traded to the Rangers, …and most painfully of all, My ultimate boyhood Hero Jacques Plante to the Gawdforesaken Weeds and other teams

…I had been a blind addicted Fan of the Montreal Canadiens since I can remember having memory …because, no doubt, I was born a Montrealer …and the unmatched joy the Team provided My identity by being ‘a winner’ in style as well as substance during the first 30 plus years of My Life

…but it was when the ‘winning’ became much less frequent and then inexistent, that I began asking Myself what was really at ‘the core’ of My Fandom ? …was it ‘the Team’ …or, it’s Players ?

…Which/Whom did I Love more ? …Which/Whom, inflamed My passion more, as a Fan ?

…difficult question to answer, I found …but I finally came to the conclusion I would have never had had the obsession with this Team if it had not the wonderfully unique Players it had had through those Glory Years

…ok, I realize there are so-called Habs’ Fans out there that sees it differently than I, …Crawford or Quenneville could walk in here and You will not miss a beat

…call Me crazy if You may, but I would rather ‘lose’ with a bench of Roy, Carbo and Big Bird …than ‘win’ with a Crawford, Quenneville or whomever

…for Me, it’s essential Our links with Our past Heroes be essentially a continuum to keep this fan’s level of Habs’ Fandom

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• nickster13 says:

Heroes arent born, they are made! So if a guy can bring us wins and a cup, or memories, then they can be a hero too. Gotta move on from the old boys club and focus on winning again,

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• habstrinifan says:

Good point. And non ex-habs like MARC Bergevin can add to our lore as he seems to already have and become one of the team heroes. I read your post after I ‘submitted’ mine and you make a good point.

• nickster13 says:

Ya, like who are these Pollock and Toe Blake guys, they were just average joe hockey players until they became heroes.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Propwash says:

Agreed, get the best staff available, and start making the Habs a force to be reckoned with again.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• habstrinifan says:

Hi Habitant in Surrey! Writing to you from your neck of the woods.. well pretty close to it maybe. I am in Vanc. in the Pte Gray neighbourhood visiting my dear daughter.

Your memories go much futher back than mine but we share the same basis for our love for he team. The players.. they played the game in a very special way. I fully understand your excitement at seeing our heroes return.

You wont have to ‘lose’ with a bench of Roy, Carbonneau and Robinson. It would be an amazing coaching triumvirate. Hope it happens. I wouldnt have the same optimism for Roy, alone of the three, behind the bench. But would feel ok too if Carbonneau and Robinson were teamed together.

Out of the other candidates I like Hartley, then Quenville, then Crawford. I dont have much faith in Vigneault taking our team beyong a ‘good’ regular season so I would be somewhat worried if he got the call.

54. Stormin says:

I posted this on earlier thread this morning my about last night ode to Booner’s year long recaps,,,, well enjoy this or maybe not

About Last Night

Apperently Alexander Semin makes some girls Yakupov and so the they would much rather just give you A Ron Tugnutt or preferably Hakan Loob your Mike Peca with a Roman Hamrlik and then have you Nail Yakupov there Randy Cunneyworth or in some cases their Darren Puppa

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

Larry Brooks, New York Post: ” No matter where you sit in the spectrum of sports in New York and New Jersey, there never before was anyone like Mariano Rivera and there never will be.

Same holds true for Martin Brodeur, who celebrates his 40th birthday today with a Game 4 assignment in nets against the Flyers, and who walked through our door to stay two years before The Great Rivera.

No goaltender in the NHL plays remotely the way Brodeur does, none ever will again, and no goaltender in the world comes close to having as much fun plying his trade.

Way back when, it was Brodeur against Ron Hextall in the playoffs. Now, Brodeur against Ilya Bryzgalov (or Sergei Bobrovsky). Always, Brodeur for the Devils.

And because we were reminded a few days ago that we never know how or when it’s going to end, this is the time to acknowledge the magnificent fortune we have had in these parts to have been able to watch The Great Brodeur for 18 seasons. ”

_________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

56. HabsFanMTL says:

anyone notice on TSN tonight the basketball game, the play by play guy sounds eerily like our own John Bartlett , its on right now on TSN

57. punkster says:

Mike, that “stool sample” joke doesn’t hold a candle to his “puppies” reference the other night to Andi.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

58. Stormin says:

Quick question , is it just me or are John Tortorella’s dealings with the media getting a little on the schtick side and very tiresome.

• habstrinifan says:

Yep! And it may be indicative of a lack of focus or answers in re-awakening something which is missing from the Ranger’s play. I got the same vibes from the ‘smart alecky’ answers of Vigneault during the Vanc. L.A series. As is he knows something is not right in his team’s effort and he cant find the answer.

59. Ncognito says:

Wasn’t there something about McDonagh not signing with Montreal therefore they had to trade him or lose him? Could be thinking of another deal.

60. punkster says:

Hey, PJ lookin’ real PJ-ish tonight. Another free matching shirt and tie bundle with every suit at Moore’s this weekend?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. HFX-HabFan says:

I posted this previously this aft on the other thread, but I’m tossing out a few names for the coaching pool- not including anyone like Vigneault or other currently-employed-by-NHL-teams coaches:

Marc Crawford- his first two stops he had success, but his two most recent (LA and DAL) were less than stellar. I’m not convinced he’s the guy.

Patrick Roy- his track record speaks for itself, but we have no idea how that will translate as a coach at the NHL level. Ego issues aside, my gut tells me that now is not the time for us to hire Roy as the bench boss.

Denis Savard- still employed by Chicago, but Bergevin could convince him to come “home” to Montreal. He could become the local-boy-makes-good story without risking tarnishing his legacy as a Habs player (as we all know he was past his prime by the time he became a Hab, and if he has success as our coach, maybe the Wickenheiser grumblers can finally be silenced).

Gerard Gallant- head coach of the Saint John Sea Dogs, a team looking to become the first team in history to repeat as Memorial Cup champs after the previous champs had repeated themselves- Windsor (how often does this happen in sports? I don’t think that has happened in baseball or football since the ’70s, hockey since the Oilers in the ’80s, and basketball probably the Bulls after the Rockets or Pistons). Not sure how Gallant’s French is, but he’s obviously familiar with Nathan Beaulieu, and can clearly get the most out of talented youngsters.

Pascal Vincent- currently an assistant for Winnipeg I believe. He was an up-and-comer in the Q a few years back.

Benoit Groulx- still coaching in the Q with Gatineau last time I checked, but I always thought he had NHL potential.

Craig Ramsay- I thought he did a great job in his one year in Atlanta before getting shafted by the Winnipeg ownership group. Maybe he’s better as an assistant coach, and I have no idea what his French is like, but he could be an intriguing candidate.

Other names that you’d like to see in the mix? Sutter? Hartley (his Swiss club doesn’t plan to let him leave his contract)? MacTavish? Anyone else?

• Ncognito says:

Gerard Gallant grew up one street over from our place in Summerside and we still chat when he’s home. He does not speak French except for a few words he learned during his QMJHL days.

62. jols101 says:

The only advantage for the Habs if Dudley comes over as assistant GM before the draft is knowing who Burkie is high on and then avoiding that player like the plague…if Burke loves a prospect, he will have BUST written all over him….

• HFX-HabFan says:

Cup Final bed-soiling aside, those Sedin guys have forged a decent career.

• New says:

The advantage to the Habs would be clear. Bergevin could say “Hmmm…Timmins says one thing…Hey Rick…what would Burkey do?…Ok then we’ll do the opposite and go with Timmins. Whew, confirmation!”

More likely nothing to do with the draft and either A) Burke staging street theatre to later campaign for compensation for executives or B) Burke and Dudley have a few trade senarios worked out and he doesn’t want that out before UFA day, 1 Jul.

63. Chuck says:

So what’s this rumour I hear that the Stanley Cup engravers ceased their work the moment that Halak was injured?

___________________________________________________

• Clay says:

Chuck, when did you become a troll?

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Chuck says:

Sarcasm, Clay. Just poking fun at what seems to be a popular theme around some of these parts.

___________________________________________________

64. Captain aHab says:

I’m sure Burke is sweating profusely right now and has an untied tie and rolled up sleeves. What a warrior!!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

65. HabFab says:

Just so this doesn’t get confusing for some. Bergervin was not involved in the amateur scouting with the Hawks while Dudley was with the Leafs so he is involved in their Draft preparation.

66. frontenac1 says:

So,what’s the book on Dudley?

67. habsfan0 says:

Brian Burke prefers Dudley to make his move to Habs AFTER the draft.

Would the Leafs have legal recourse should Dudley make his move prior to that?

• Mr. Biter says:

Would make sense as Dudley would know what Burke’s plans are for the draft. Can see the logic there.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• habsfan0 says:

I understand that, but would the Leafs have grounds for legal action should Dudley join the Habs before the draft?

If Dudley doesn’t join the Habs until after the draft, he’ll essentially be in no man’s land during the draft,as he certainly won’t be sitting at the Leafs’ table given his imminent departure.

• Captain aHab says:

I find this funny as hell…there’s something called a phone and something else called email. Dudley could basically give the Habs Torrona’s entire draft plan without ever setting foot outside of the GTA. What’s the point in keeping him there?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Mr. Biter says:

Yes Captain he could but in this internet world if even a sniff came out all hell would break out. With hackers, disgruntled office employees (probably more than few in the Habs organization who really hated the goat or a few who liked him) it would some how come out. As a sea faring man you must know that “loose lips Sink Ships”.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Stev.R says:

Why do you assume there were office employees that hated Gauthier?

• Captain aHab says:

Well I was going to say that too.

—————-
            Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Clay says:

Because they love cookies?

__________________________
            ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Mr. Biter says:

If he treated the office staff like the coaching staff & players I don’t sense the love for PG.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Captain aHab says:

But it would come out whether the guy was in Montreal already and did it or whether he were still in Torrona and did it.

It makes no sense to keep him there. To me, stating you want to keep him there tells me that you don’t trust him. If you don’t trust him to “do the right thing” if he goes to Montreal, how are you going to trust him to “do the right thing” when doing the wrong thing is as easy as picking up the phone?

What are they going to do, lock him up in a cell until the draft?

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• habsfan0 says:

Well, they do sequester juries while they are deliberating their verdict.

Perhaps Dudley can be sequestered during the draft in some way, shape, or form, although not sure how that would work.

• otter649 says:

NHL contracts usually expire June 30 but Dudley being with The Leafs less than one year would break it also Dudley may have signed for more than one year on his original contract……

68. The Dude says:

Goes to show you all L.A.’s bigger team is the better team..4-0 series! Size rules come play-offs,no place for smurfs!

69. naweed235 says:

bottom line is Halak’s injury cost the Blues a cup

• habsfan0 says:

Undoubtedly. Just not sure if it was a Stanley Cup.

• ZepFan2 says:

So let me get this straight. When it comes to Halak and the Blues, injuries count. When it comes to Habs, not so much?

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• JayBee says:

Really? I think even with Halak in goal the Blues would have lost. Maybe not swept. But they would have lost. They couldn’t score!

• Rob D says:

Blues looked..forgive me for the cliche…..soft. The Kings battered them into submission. Reminded me of the Habs getting owned by the Flyers after their two glorious wins against the Caps and Penguins.

LA is a big, talented team that hits and hits and hits..with good to great goaltending. Going to be hard to beat since they let a lot more go in the playoffs. Maul away, boys.

• JayBee says:

Maybe not soft (at least they didn’t turtle). They just got outmuscled by a better team who seemed to want it more.

• Mr. Biter says:

But wearn’t the Blues supposed to be a big tough team before the playoffs started?
            Just checked both teams roster. Kings have 6 guys under 6″ tall (5 listed at5’11) Blues have 7 guys under 6′ tall. Not much difference in size.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Rob D says:

That’s perhaps a more elegant way of putting it….Blues did compete but just looked resigned to their fate by the 3rd period of most of the games.

Blues are young and will no doubt learn from it. Davidson and Co. have done a great job with that organization who now join the ranks of the respectable after years of drift.

I look at the Kings and marvel at the change they have gone through since the coaching change. It kinda shows you that a coach does matter a lot in most cases. I am on pins and needles waiting for OUR GM’s decision but I feel confident it will be a considered one. Adding Dudley (if it happens) is one very smart and bold move right off the bat.

• New says:

Yeah once again Halak wasn’t there when the chips were down.

• habstrinifan says:

Not really fair. However some do say that his lack of size means he cannot play as many games as a #1 prospect without injury.

Still we cant blame him for be injured.

70. @AWalsh

If my boy had a spine the Blues would have won

Never gets Old.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

71. mrhabby says:

Rick Dudley to be named Ass’t General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens. Brian Burke says there working through the issues.

72. commandant says:

And the 8th place kings take out the Blues.

Now if the Coyotes can finish off the Preds, things will be looking good for the 2nd round draft pick.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• habsfan0 says:

As expected, Elliott came back down to earth with a thud.

Turning point of the series was when Halak got injured.

• Mr. Biter says:

So Halak and Elliott in St Louis next year or does one get moved and which one?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• habsfan0 says:

St. Louis would get a nice return for either goalie, although Elliott won’t ever have a regular season like he did this year.

• Mr. Biter says:

Just saying if Blues do trade Halak would that not say something about him being a back up and not able to carry a team to the cup. Just a question nothing anti Halak. They could keep both as their combined salary hit is roughly $5.5M.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

73. JayBee says:

Well, well, well…looks like Gauthier’s fingerprints were all over the Gomez deal as I expected. And to think I got banned from HFBoards for calling for Gauthier’s head. He’s an incompetent bafoon.

“Why did Habs trade McDonagh to N. Y.?

There’s been much talk in Montreal of beefing up the Canadiens pro-scouting department now that Marc Bergevin has arrived as the ever-smiling general manager.

Despite the dour Pierre Gauthier, the former GM, nobody can say Montreal’s amateur scouts have failed in their duties in the last few years.

The 2007 draft brought the Habs Ryan McDonagh, Max Pacioretty and P.K. Subban in the first 43 picks. How is that for a trifecta?

Oh yeah, McDonagh isn’t in Montreal anymore. He played 53 minutes for the New York Rangers in that triple overtime game against the Washington Capitals on Wednesday. Seeing McDonagh take that wallop from Matt Hendricks, the one that almost ripped his head from his shoulders, then see him play another 30 or so shifts as if the hit were, as the Monty Python actors used to say is “just a flesh wound,” is to see a true warrior in action.

The trade of McDonagh to the Rangers to get Scott Gomez came on Bob Gainey’s watch when he was the GM. This should tarnish Gainey’s reputation for knowing who can play in the NHL and who can’t, but several sources say Gauthier’s fingerprints were really all over this one.

“Bob’s daughter had died (swept overboard at sea while working on a training ship) before this and he was letting Pierre (his confidant) do a lot of the work. Pierre didn’t like McDonagh, for some reason. Saw him play in the world juniors and didn’t like him. The scouts loved McDonagh, though. When he was traded, they couldn’t believe it,” said a source close to the scene.

“At least make up your mind on McDonagh after he’s played a few seasons.”

Instead, McDonagh was dealt on June 30, 2009 while he was still attending the University of Wisconsin, after he had finished his junior year there. He had just turned 20.

“The scouts didn’t think he was going to put up a lot of points, but he was big (213 pounds) and he competed,” said the source.

How would he look as Subban’s safety blanket in Montreal today? McDonagh, Subban, Josh Gorges and a healthy Andrei Markov on defence? Pretty good.

McDonagh for Gomez, who might well be buried in the minors next season so the Habs can save his $7.35 million US salary-cap hit, has to go down as one of the most one-sided trades in the last few years.

Bergevin, while too nice of a guy to shovel dirt on his predecessors, is probably grinding his teeth over that one.

Gomez has gone from 59 points to 38 points to 11 points in his three years in Montreal. He won two Stanley Cup rings in New Jersey and has 99 points in 140 career playoff games, but he looks done. How can that be? He’s only 32. Ray Whitney of the Phoenix Coyotes turn 40 on Tuesday. Teemu Selanne of the Anaheim Ducks turns 42 in July.”

• Mr. Biter says:

Thank you for this insight about the goats hockey knowledge. If this is true BG probably stopped being the real GM after the death of his daughter and became an “Advisor” before he really stepped down. Habs kept him as an advisor for his loyalty to the team. After he did step down and became an “Advisor” did he ever address the Media or for that fact anyone?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• ooder says:

Pierre Gauthier is a laughable “hockey man”, a really big joke

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Fab K says:

You want a one sided trade? how about Craig Rivet for Josh Georges and a first rounder (Max Pacioretty!!!). Hey, you win some, you lose some…

74. Captain aHab says:

I would actually like for both of these teams to eliminate one another and for the final to be Wash-Rags….I hate both the Debils and Flyers just as much.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

75. Kimberly2u says: