Liveblog: Devils edge Kings 3-1, series goes back to Jersey

KingFan

After almost 48 scoreless minutes, Patrik Elias and Drew Doughty scored goals 62 seconds apart.
The game seemed headed for the third OT of the series when Adam Henrique converted a saucer pass from David Clarkson and beating Jonathan Quick on his blocker side.
So we’ll have hockey on June 9: Game 5 in Newark on Saturday night.

Much-maligned Ilya Kovalchuk added an empty-netter.

Three times the Kings have been up 3-0 in these playoffs.

Three times they’ve failed to seal the deal.

Credit the Devils: They didn’t roll over.

And they had a 43-33 hit advantage.

If they win back in Jersey …

Brian Gionta on Twitter: Yessssssss!! Still alive

•  •  •

Michel Therrien has sacked the Randys, Cunneyworth and Ladouceur. But not goaltending coach Pierre Groulx … at least not yet.

And the Canadiens have hired Martin Lapointe to work in player development.

Statement from Therrien:

“Following my appointment as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, I made the decision of bringing together a new coaching staff. Out of respect for Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur, I felt it was important that I notify them immediately in order for them to start looking for other opportunities without further delay. On behalf of the organization, I would like to thank both of them for their valuable contribution to the team and wish them the very best for the future.”

• Pre-game reading: Mike Spry’s brilliant takedown of HNIC

Interesting bouncing objects behind the bench.

2. Habsolutely says:

whoa, check out the tank top behind DeBoer!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Screengrab please.

———————————
      In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

3. Exit716 says:

Mr. Boone, Bill Cowher is the father-in-law of Kings winger Kevin Westgarth, of Amherstburg, Ontario. Once upon a time, when I was more than a cranky basement internet critic, I covered Westgarth when he played high school hockey. Great kid. Shame he won’t get his name on the Cup, having only played 25 games for the Kings. Shame that CBC couldn’t be bothered to take the time to make the connection. Westgarth went to Princeton on a scholarship. He might be a good addition to the Habs as well.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Westgarth’s only skill is getting his face pummeled to a bloody mess.

Entertaining, for sure, but not what we need.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. Kimberly2u says:

Is last years American Idol the only person in LA that can sing that anthem??

5. Habsolutely says:

“Just once could they honour a teacher or nurse instead of a soldier?”

My wife would kiss you if she saw that.

6. Habsolutely says:

Jersey looks like they mean business. Should be a dandy game.

7. Habsolutely says:

Don with another Jackson Pollack special jacket. I think his tailor hates him.

8. RGM says:

Ron MacLean just compared Drew Doughty to Kyle Wellwood. I am at a loss for words.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

9. frontenac1 says:

Oh No! I just remembered, PJ Stock played for Mike in 2000! The Horror! The Horror!!

10. RC-51 says:

What’s up with Kristo? There was a lot of hype when drafted and the WJC, but ever since he is barely mentioned when discussing our prospects. Is he playing his last year in ND this year and/or in Hamilton once his school year is over?

• Ali says:

he went back to Notre Dame for his last year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

University of North Dakota.

———————————

• HabFab says:

Just posted a picture of him he tweeted today down below. He is working his summer job as a landscaper and looks buff.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Correct me if I’m wrong people, but I thought the NCAA forbids full scholarship athletes from holding part-time jobs?

———————————

• Un Canadien errant says:

Student-athletes at work: NCAA work rule will be ‘difficult to monitor.’ – National Collegiate Athletic Association
        by Craig T. Greenlee , June 16, 2007

In a surprise development at its annual convention, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) approved new legislation allowing athletes to work part-time jobs during the school year.

The new rule, which governs Division I schools and takes effect in August offers a mixed bag. Most folk agree that athletes deserve the opportunity to work and earn their own money — just like other students. But college athletic officials fear that monitoring jobs is sure to create monumental headaches for every athletic department.

Full athletic scholarships pay for tuition, books, plus room and board, but not other costs. Under the new rule, athletes’ earnings may not exceed what their school calculates as “incidental expenses” for the academic year, which range from $1,200 to $2.500.

Proponents of the change argued that in an age when many major colleges are making money hand over fist in football and basketball, it’s only reasonable that the athletes who play the games have the opportunity to earn some cash to go on a date, put gas in their car, or buy a burger and some fries.

The reason for the old ruling — which prohibited scholarship athletes from working except during the summer and approved school breaks — was to limit the potential for booster-related wrongdoing where boosters pay athletes for non-existent or dubious jobs.

———————————

11. Habsolutely says:

“I’m not sure who PJ Stock’s agent is, but he must have photos of CBC execs doing untoward things to livestock.”

One of the best lines I’ve read in awhile.

12. habstrinifan says:

Boone:Bert Raymond says Randy Ladouceur did a good job but may be too outspoken behind the bench for Therrien.

Please Boone enough of Raymond.

13. Habsrule1 says:

Did everyone hear Patrick Roy’s press conference? I suppose he could have been lying, but he sure did not sound like someone that needed to have his say on every decision that the GM made. He will be a great coach in the NHL one day, whether he goes through the AHL or not.

Go Habs Go!!

14. Hali_Hab says:

That Mike Spry article in regards to the demise of HNIC is brilliant!
    It will be better when its gone, Its a shame what the CBC and its inability to adapt has done to the once proud Canadian Institution.

Thanks for the link Boone

• HabFanSince72 says:

CBC Radio Two is equally lame.

It used to be so good.

Now I listen to NPR.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It all stems from the anchor that is Don Cherry. HNIC is trapped by its own success and doesn’t have the vision and guts to shake hands with him and Bob Cole and forge a new path. There is lots of talent in the country, and HNIC is letting TSN grab all of it.

———————————

15. boing007 says:

BR is full of BS.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

16. Strummer says:

In a nod to a possible sweep tonight reminds me of blues legend Robert Johnson and “Dust My Broom”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

17. HabFab says:

Does Mr Boone have new glasses for the SCF’s?

The better to blog you with my little peps…

18. HabFab says:

Picture of Kristo (green) at his summer job…looks pretty buff.

19. Bun E. Laroque says:

I was dead set against Therrien but now that I’ve had a couple of days to think about it I’m feeling that it could possibly work out. Hiring a coach with no NHL experience and/or no ability to speak French would just not work in Montreal. That leaves a short list. Thinking of the other candidates objectively, I really don’t think any of them( Hartley, Crawford, Roy et al) would have been better than Therrien. It would have been nice to see a new face in there but perhaps Therrien ‘s familiarity with the job will benefit him. If you could go back ten years and fix something that didn’t work out at the time, you would definitely draw on the mistakes you made the first time around.
    Lots of negative response on here but I am choosing to stay positive and retain my enthusiasm for the new regime!

• Strummer says:

He’s no better/worse than the others in an un-inspiring mix of candidates

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. Hali_Hab says:

Man the traffic on this site increases x 10.. when something goes down. Comments from every one and their dog who thinks they know how to run the team. Its hard to come on here and be a habs fan at times like these .. it’s all bitch..bitch..whine .. whine.

Holy crap people strap on a set! Most of you sound pathetic. like spoiled rich kids. Not to mention some of your rants make me question not just your hockey IQ but your IQ as a whole.

21. FanCritic says:

Now that Therrien cleaned house MB needs to deal with players now and get rid of the overpaid deadwood. start by creating a winning attitude. bring in players who are willing to do what it takes to win example the LA Kings….

22. MiltonHab says:

The Therrien hiring is a done deal. Bergevin gets a mulligan and lets move forward. What happens next is what is important. MT bitching about last years Habs on L’Antichambre…Now he has to put his money where his mouth was. Get it Done!

23. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m currently on a Via Rail train pulling out of Bonaventure station, and, on the next track, headed into Montreal, is a train called “Tank train”.

I googled a picture of it:

An omen?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

24. frontenac1 says:

I know its “business”and not personal,but I hope Geoff gives Cunney a bonus and or Job somewhere because he took bullets for the organization like a soldier. He did it with class and courage.He really is a stand up guy! Good Luck Randy!

25. zedder81 says:

Enough of the language debate. When Calgary, Edmonton, The Peg or Toronto hire a coach and GM that can’t speak English than we will know that we were wrong. It would never happen in those markets for the same reason we need a Francophone or bi-lingual coach for the habs. And this is coming from an anglo living in Hamilton.

In my life the Habs have won 8 Stanley Cups and the Leafs 0. How can you put a value on that?

• Dulljerk says:

With this line-up: french, english or swahili wouldn’t make a difference. Unless Michel Therrien can strap on a pair of skates and recreate Jean Beliveau, this team ain’t goin nowhere.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• commandant says:

If its just about language I agree….

but for maggots like Raymond, who make it about being “pure laine” instead of just being able to speak french its an issue.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s a weak argument. No team can hire a coach that does not speak English, including Montreal because English is the language of the NHL.
      If a very good coach who did not speak French would have been available, the Habs would have made a mistake by not hiring him. My signature applies most strongly to fans in Montreal.

Go Habs Go!!

26. Ozmodiar says:

Lost in the coaching kerfuffle is the fact that Ryan Murray met with Timmins and Bergevin in Brossard yesterday morning.

27. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Maybe is missed it, but in all the excitement of hearing about the CunneySack, i never read anyone make even one of the obviously required wisecracks about the Depends commercial on the right of the screen. PJ STOCK is the spokesman for adult diapers… come on Timo, say something about it…please

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Anyone else feel Tom Renney got royally screwed?

Tambellini and Lowe very clearly and deliberately set out to finish last, and assembled the team to do so.

Now Tambellini gets a contract extension and Renney gets the boot after two years?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Ali says:

Lowe was brutal as a GM, and Tambellini is doing no better. Quinn for a year, now Renney. Seems like having a ECHL defense put together by your NHL GM is grounds for not being good enough to coach the Oilers.

• D Mex says:

Tambellini is a smoothy who slid into Edmonton following a stint as A/GM in Vancouver, where I have yet to see anyone associated with the Canucks, whether players, coaches or management, come away with muck of any kind stuck to them for long, if at all.
        So far, he has been able to preserve that same ‘ clean ‘ image in Edmonton despite a pair of 1st overall draft picks and a couple of brutal seasons. That may start to change this time next year, but Tambellini strikes me as a guy who would probably land on his feet regardless – Long Island comes to mind …
        As for Lowe, he manages to ride the same kind of wave in Edmonton that so many former Habs have gotten good mileage out of in Montréal.
        Which leaves the Oilers looking for a fall guy if or when they trip over themselves, again, in 2012-13. Might be interesting to see where Cunneyworth re-surfaces as he knows the drill and seems to have a decent tolerance level for nonsense.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• zedder81 says:

The only thing that is for certain if you are a coach in the NHL, is that you will be fired at some point.

• Ozmodiar says:

I think you’re giving Tambellini and Lowe too much credit.

29. jedimyrmidon says:

I have to admit that I wasn’t exactly thrilled that they hired Michel Therrien as the new head coach, but the deep level of disappointment of some folks not only on a hockey level, but a political level (i.e. language) is rather surprising.

I’m of the mind that some are in fact disappointed that they hired a francophone coach in the very same way that certain Quebecois would be disappointed/embittered by an anglophone coach being hired. It’s as if they were clinging to the hope that the Canadiens would simply ignore the language issue that is inherent to Quebec.

As someone pointed out before, I don’t feel as if Bergevin looked over a clearly better candidate in favour of Therrien. Sure, Crawford seems like he could have been a good choice, but I, unlike management, did not extensively interview the candidates and Crawford does not strike me as a leaps-and-bounds better candidate.

• Ali says:

Exactly. Who else was that much better? Hartley is the only one who might have been but he clearly preferred to work with Jay Feaster who he has a prior relationship with. Quenneville chose to stay in Chicago, Mike Babcock is maybe the only anglo they could’ve taken and he isn’t going anywhere, neither is Guy Boucher or Claude Julien. Nobody else really out there. And he wasn’t going to go the rookie route for his first coach.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

Excellent post!

Go Habs Go

30. piper says:

I actually like the hiring of Therrien. He has some fire and emotion in him and maybe some of it will rub off on the players. We were lacking that the last couple of years.

• Dulljerk says:

The only thing that can fix this team is to move half of them.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• jon514 says:

Who would you move?

• Dulljerk says:

MIKE BLUNDEN, RENE BOURQUE, MATHIEU DARCHE, SCOTT GOMEZ, TRAVIS MOEN, PETTERI NOKELAINEN, RYAN WHITE, BRAD STAUBITZ, YANNICK WEBER, TOMAS KABERLE, CHRIS CAMPOLI . Thats 11 players to start. I would also entertain talk on any other player on this team, bar none. None of them are indispensible. All it takes is the right offer. Even Gretzky got traded.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Not Staubitz! He actually has wheels and some hands as well as size and grit. We need him on a fourth line. We still need at least 8 players, so there is plenty of work to do without doing a complete rebuild.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Dulljerk says:

I like Brad Staubitz, I watched his whole junior career in the OHL, but moves must be made!

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• I get saying bye bye to Cunny (could have been good in Hamilton) but why Ladouc? Just because he was part of the dysfunctional last couple of years? I mean Perry was a strong asst. and he was let go as a message and here Montreal goes filling up the ranks of good candidates for other teams to hire. I don’t get it. Send them all on their way and hire new ones? The only one I want out there is Big Bird and with MT there, it’s a hope in hell because he is a control freak. My heart can’t take much more of this even with the spirited Doug Gilmour article offered up to give the fans some hope…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• piper says:

I don’t think you’d have a problem moving White for decent return but we need what he brings. The rest will bring little to no return. Moen I’d try to resign.

31. Habsolutely says:

So since MB is into 2nd chances, does that mean he’s gonna give Gomer another chance to play top six minutes on the Habs? Because if he does, I can guarantee you right now, it will be viewed as a mistake throughout the hockey world.

• Ali says:

did he hire Rejean Houle to guide him? Did he bring back Mario Tremblay? Did he hire Patrick Roy? Did he bring back Jacques Martin?

Did he hire Scott Mellanby? Rick Dudley? Did he keep Trevor Timmins?

• Habsolutely says:

Off your meds?

• Ali says:

The first group would be all your second chances. Did he do that? He’s doing what he thinks is best. He hired the best people in his opinion. Wait till you have some results before you judge.

• Habsolutely says:

How did I judge anything? I simply asked a question. Sorry if I touched a nerve.

• Ali says:

Not you, i was reading all the lunacy regarding Therrien and you just happened to be the first post worth responding to. Sorry for the tone.

To more directly answer your point, I’d be shocked if Gomez was back. I’m pretty confident that being free to put him in the minors is one of the things any GM candidate would have insisted on, and Geoff Molson made it clear he’d eat salary.

• Habsolutely says:

I hope you’re right. I want to see what Bergevin can do with the cap space free’d up. Hopefully he can do some wheelin & dealin and get the habs goin in a good direction.

• BobDobbs says:

Who say’s he’s into second chances? You have a single occurrence, not even a coincidence let alone a pattern.

32. punkster says:

Reasonable move by Bergevin yesterday and certainly not unexpected…unless you spend your days under a rock or never read/hear/watch the news. When in Rome and all that.

Understandable moves by Therrien today. He has to build from the ground up. As I pointed out yesterday, during the presser he said… “I’m taking over a team that finished last in the Eastern Conference,” he said. “We’re going to go step by step, and we’re going to get better and better.”

This is not the end of the changes MB and MT will implement. Some we’ll like, some we won’t. But the status quo ended up in last place.

Sam Cooke wrote it, Seal has a great recording of it:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

33. 69HABS says:

MT will be tuned out by Dec ….

Move the Bulldogs to QC. Give Roy the HC job for a couple of yrs then bring him up to Montreal for the HC job!

34. PrimeTime says:

I would like to know how many non-Franco candidates were interviewed for the HC job? Then I’ll believe language wasnt the # 1 qualification and the “best man available” got the position.

• ZepFan2 says:

I don’t know about coaches, but I do know they interviewed Jim Nill for GM. Doesn’t seem like it had anything to do with the lingo he spoke.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• nickster13 says:

Even if they were, you know they never had a chance. As various posters said, Crawford waa never gonna be hired, he was just strung along to make it look exhaustive and impartial. Politics before hockey

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• zedder81 says:

What non-Francophone should of been hired. Out of our pool of 5 possible coaches, 2 are now in the NHL. So, the crop wasn’t that bad. The reality is that it is all about the players. Was Glen Sather a genius, or did he just have 7 hall of famers on his team. Bowman is a demigod, but never won anything outside of Montreal (stacked team) and Detroit (pretty stacked too). You guys put too much stock in the coach. At least MT has personality. Press conferences will be 100 times more interesting.

• Un Canadien errant says:

PrimeTime, don’t be deliberately obtuse. It was stated quite clearly by Geoff Molson after the Randy Cunneyworth furore that speaking French would be an important consideration in the hire of the next coach. Much the same refrain for the GM hire, with Serge Savard being more categoric. So don’t ask a question you already know the answer to.

But please, go ahead and provide a list of names of coaches vastly more qualified than those interviewed who were denied an opportunity because they didn’t speak French.

———————————

35. Dulljerk says:

Sorry boys and girls. The problem here is not with the coach, the problem here is with the players. They simply aren’t very good. Their record shows that. I will judge Marc Bergevin by what players he brings in and what players he ships out. This team is a bunch of losers, plain and simple. No one should be secure in their position. A loser is a loser.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

I know hockey is a dirty business, and I know the coach has to look after what he deems fit for his now and new responsibilities.
    But it would have been nice to send the two Randy’s back to Hamilton where they were successful if they wanted.

I sure wish Mr. Cunnyworth the very best, and thanks for keeping the boat professional at all times. He is and was a class act in a near impossible situation for him. He will be a successful hockey man for some fortunate organization, Good Luck Randy!!!

• GrimJim says:

I understand that, Ian but then the Habs would be creating the same situation but this time for Clemont Joduin. Bump the Randys down to Hamilton and Joduin gets fired for no reason. No matter what happens someone is getting a raw deal.

• Strummer says:

Hopefully there’s a job as an assstant with another NHL club.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

37. Ali says:

Welcome to Montreal Marc Bergevin! Hero to zero before he even has made one trade, draft pick, or player move.

38. Mavid says:

i checked my answering machine and there was no messages from the team asking me who I thought should be our next coach so I guess I will have to live with it..

39. ont fan says:

P. Roy seemed quite humble in thanking the Habs for considering him for the coaching job. Saying, maybe he had a future in the NHL as a coach. The interviewing process had been very thorough in every aspect of the job.

40. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Let’s all be honest with each other: Bertrand Raymond is the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, MB just happens to be the one talking to the press.

No fact is truer then that one

41. dorvalhabsfan says:

Come one guys… you are all so paranoid its pathetic… Hiring Therrien is Ability first language second… REGARDLESS of who the best coach was, I would be shocked if Bergevin said “ya i knew (Insert anglo coach here) would have been a better fit but Michel spoke french….” or “Ya i was watching RDS and they said Michel was a candidate and i thought boy that would just be a great idea” Bergevin made these decisions with the best in mind for our habs…

i mean after montreal he is going to want another job right? and if all the anglo paranoia was true (he only hired for language he listened to RDS blah blah blah) he will be out of a job for a long time..

Get a grip and realize he did what was best for himself (which in reality IS what is best for the team)… this isnt some conspiracy by the PQ…

Go Habs Go

• VancouverHab says:

Therrien is the worst Habs coach of the past twenty years, except for Cunny’s short stint. There is no upside here: none. The absolute best case is that he is fired within two years, and we will still have wasted those years and probably caused Subban to leave (he won’t last more than two years under Therrien), and our new GM is now revealed as limited, dull, and narrow.

• ont fan says:

Come on now, you couldn’t have liked Mario.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

I would wait to see what he actually does with these players before declaring them ruined… nobody has left yet so looking into a crystal ball of negatives doesnt really leave much room for anything else…
        i hope he has grown since pittsburgh and you know what? maybe he had some really great ideas in the interviews we havent thought of…

i look at therrien and see plenty of pros and cons, and i would prefer to focus on the pros as opposed to thinking of. all i hear of the complainers is “omg one guy said this” and other rumors which have not been substantiated as far as im concerned,

wait and see, and you will see this year will be night and day compared to last year..

btw Therrien wasnt my first choice but that doesnt make it the wrong choice

Go Habs Go

• habstrinifan says:

Unfair!

42. Habsolutely says:

Facts are facts. The habs hired Cunneyworth as interim coach. INTERIM COACH, they made it clear at the hiring. And yet hiring an english interim coach just wasn’t good enough for some of the language nazi’s, so they went crazy and went on attack. Molson then capitulated and apologized for hiring an english interim coach, and promised the next coach would be a franco. I’m sorry if the truth hurts some of you, but that’s the way it went down. So don’t try to tell me that the fans and the media don’t have any sway with Mr. Molson, when we have a shining example that just occurred. If you want to live in a fantasy world go ahead, but don’t expect the rest of us to live in your fantasy world.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

regardless of how media reacted to RC a french speaking coach was going to be hired in the offseason… apologising was just appeasement to the fan base… communiaction with fans can be very useful while in the middle of unpopular changes

Go Habs Go

• Strummer says:

Cunneyworth was a JM hire/underling.
      It is customary for head coaches to hire their own staff.

End of.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• BobDobbs says:

And what leverage, pray tell, did the media have over Mr. Bergevin in order to persuade him?

43. PrimeTime says:

So does MB now work towards acquiring French players to appease the Separatists?

44. JUST ME says:

The firing of the Randys was to be expected i guess cause even though they were candidates for Hamilton, i guess that there will be changes there too and that once again even if we were all asking for changes in player`s development some posters here will come and complain about the new staff added there as they do now for the big team for wich they wanted a clean up that was made…Try to understand …

45. BobDobbs says:

I hear lots of people saying that the Francophone media are calling the shots and / or that Bergevin is actually one of them and that this is unacceptable. But I don’t precisely understand the problem that’s being asserted: Are you saying the Francophone media is stupid in the area of hockey and that their advice is bad? I actually think they’re pretty decent, it’s the Ontario hockey media that I don’t trust. Furthermore, I don’t see how the media could significantly influence important decisions like the hiring of a coach. So what’s the deal?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Bertrand Raymond isn’t giving hockey advice.

How is “Therrien speaks better French than Marc Crawford” hockey advice?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• BobDobbs says:

Bertrand Raymond is one person. Also, there are people in the Anglophone media talking about language politics as well, saying that the coach shouldn’t have to speak French. (Should the coach have to speak English?)

• habsfan0 says:

I take it then, you would be against the hiring of a mute.

• VancouverHab says:

Then read Francois Gagnon, or any at La Presse. They are culture first, hockey a distant second. Look: I think the Habs coach should speak French, but not if that means that head and shoulder better coaches are available and Anglo.

Therrien was easily hands down the worst choice available: Roy (not my choice) exciting at least and likely to be bold. Crawford sane and sensible.

This is not as bad as, but reminiscent of, the Houle-Trembley disaster.

• olematelot says:

Isn’t Crawford the one who left Gretzky on the bench for the shootout at the 96 Olympics. Hardly
            sane or sensible

• Strummer says:

You’re putting way too much emphasis on a shoot-out deployment that happened in 1998.
            He wasn’t the only NHL coach behind that bench. And it wasn’t the Gretzky of the 1980′s.

You make a mountain out of a molehill

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• olematelot says:

“Mountain out of a molehill”, he didn’t use the greatest player of all time in a situation made for him. Says a lot about his decision making abilities.

• JUST ME says:

Let`s assume it was true. Can we say that the Habs did not have their glorious years without the french players ? A fact is a fact.
      What i agree with though is that the french media should be given some limits as far as second guessing and assuming that they are more important than they really are and acting as if they were owners of a private enterprise.

Some individuals still think as if they were in the 70`s. Québec has changed , Québec has evolved and they did not. We still hear about the Pollock era imagine !

46. Mattyleg says:

Hiring Therrien wasn’t anything to do with the French (which means ‘from France’ btw) media. It’s about hiring the best man.
    Bergevin figured that Therrien was the best man.
    Whether you, humble poster, agree or not makes no difference in the real world where real decisions are made.
    We can second-guess all we like, but pointing xenophobic fingers is pretty poor showing.
    Especially for Habs fans.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Rugger says:

Well said.

• CalgaryHab says:

I want/will support this hiring because I’ve got no choice – but best man for the job? I’m not sure if the 29 other teams had coaching vacanices would even consider Therrien. I HOPE and trust MB and gang is much more enlightened than habsland.

• Chris says:

Well, 25 other teams have had vacancies since Therrien was let go by the Penguins and as far as I can tell he was only interviewed by Minnesota (hired Therrien’s former assistant, Mike Yeo) and New Jersey (who ultimately went with Peter DeBoer).

So he would be considered by some teams, primarily ones that preach tight defensive hockey. But he’s certainly not been a top candidate on most GM’s speed dial. :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t think the Raymond quote I posted on the other thread is xenophobic?

You don’t think Michel Bergeron saying he would have preferred “un gars d’chez nous” in reference to Montrealer Scott Mellanby is ethnocentric to say the least?

(BTW, French doesn’t only mean “from France”.)

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habsfan0 says:

How do you differentiate senility from xenophobia or ethnocentricity?

• jon514 says:

I am a Montrealer. I was born in an anglophone family. That being said, I have no problem with Quebec born players, coaches, managers, scouts and owners be they french or english. In fact I think the Canadiens would still be the power house they once were if we had a bunch more “gars de chez nous” in the organization. There’s nothing wrong with supporting homegrown talent at any level of industry, business, sport… on the contrary, that’s how you get to be the best at something, by convincing the youth to take pride in doing it better than the previous generation.

• habstrinifan says:

I am 100% percent in support of the STIPULATION that the coach of the Montreal Canadiens must be able to speak French.

And Marc Bergevin so much as said that in his description of the particulars of the market.

So “french” was indeed and correctly so should have been a factor.

Just as “french” was indeed and correctly so was a factor in the search for Bergevin himself.

So dont be disingenuous. Go back and read Bergevin’s answers to some of the questions. He is being honest about the fact that the bilingual requirement limited the field.

The question is Did Bergevin hire the best man who filled the criteria of being being able to speak French and being able to coach.

It is an honest question being asked now. The stench that has detracted from a reasonably good debate is the stench cast by Bertrand Raymond’s bigotry and the worry, even if it is unfounded, that Bergevin caved to the pressure of people like Raymond in maybe passing up Crawford because he was not Quebecois enough.

Personally.. I am still worried about the choice. Because I think Crawford was a more ‘complete’ coach. But note I said ‘think’. So I was ready to accept Therrien. Until he reinforced his history of putting his players under the bus by doing it even before he meets the team when he questions their commitment and work ethic in his remarks. Go back and listen to his interviews, especially the short one given to the Melnick show on TSN990.

And I hate the ugliness that Bertrand Raymond has caused to hang over the entire situation. I had hoped that someone like Serge Savard would have come out and decried Raymond’s remarks publicly and thus made Bergevin’s choice an unassailable one in that respect.

But please do not come on and post that the ability to speak French was not a major consideration. It was. And it should have been.

To hide behind your pretense shows as much maturity on the subject as Bertrand Raymond’s diatribe.

With all due respects!

• Gerry H says:

I’m with you, Matt. Bergevin, who was a hero to almost all before this hire, made a call that he knew would be very unpopular with some and fairly popular with others. The folks who thought him a breath of fresh air and hockey genius just a few days ago, now think he’s an insipid chump dancing to Bert Raymond’s tune. Anyone could see that coming, but only a confident decision-maker would forge ahead nonetheless.

Good sign, if you ask me.

47. Sir.Plekers says:

k,lemme get this straight you know you have a bad GM when within the first 2 months you have way to many WTF? moments
    1:Trying to be funny at the GM press conference 2: Hiring a Leaf as a Asst GM 3: K whos Scot Mellanby 4: EVEN CONSIDERING TALKING TO MICHEL TERRIEN 5:Not Hiring Bob Hartley 6.HIRING MICHEL TERRIEN…………………. Cunney would have been a great asst :’( and i bet he will trade the most underated player in the NHL Tomas Plekanec like the rumurs have said!I DONT CARE IF THEY SPEAK FRENCH EITHER!

• kbhab4ever says:

I think that P Kane will be a HAB.Chi- town are done with his drinking and bad press.Plek’s = Kane

• LizardKing12 says:

So instead of displaying his sense of humor he should’ve been stern and boring like Pierre Gauthier? Rick Dudley is a very well respected manager in the NHL, he has been a GM for a few teams and is regarded as one of the league’s top talent evaluators. It isn’t like he has been a part of that leafs disaster for years, it was his first year on the job. Scott Mellanby is a montreal born hockey player who had a long successful career and was a real character guy, team captain, he was the assistant coach in St-Louis the last two years and was a consultant to Mike Gillis in Vancouver.

I am not a fan of the Michel Therrien hiring but that doesn’t suddenly make Bergevin a terrible GM. All his other moves have been solid, you’re the only person I’ve seen classify those moves as WTF.

• Cardiac says:

1. Since when is having a sense of humor a crime?
      2. If you are going to refer to Rick Dudley as simply “A Leaf”, you need to do some research kid…
      3. Scott Mellanby, he played over 20 years in the league and was a key asset and leader with the Panthers, Blues and Thrashers:
      4. Why not?
      5. How is it Bergevin’s fault that Hartley chose another team. It’s like blaming a GM when your dream UFA doesn’t sign with your favorite team.
      6. Cunneyworth was a lame duck coach and his skills were limited.

- Jerry Maguire

• olematelot says:

Maybe you should do some research on what Mellanby and Dudley have done before you question who they are.

48. steadyjake says:

Has there been any talk about Larry Robinson as asst for d-men? I know he didnt want HC job but tapping out the d pairs and mentoring pk and that emelin who i love would be cool no? And his ego would likely not allow it but would Roy be a decent asst. Both need to return home in some way.

• kbhab4ever says:

I bet Therrien will be the best thing for SUBBAN.I also like the fact that he noyiced that the HABS were not in shape last year because of all the 3rd period folds .This years training camp will be more of a bootcamp then a county club and then you will see who the real men are and the wimps are .THIS NEW HABS TEAM WILL BE MORE LIKE ”PITBULL THERRIEN ” AND GRINDERS LIKE BER AND DUD.ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

• GrimJim says:

Robinson is busy tonight. Try back tomorrow…

49. commandant says:

Is there any confirmation of the reports of Lapointe taking over development?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

50. aj says:

Its pretty obvious that this move, the firing of Cunneyworth and Ladouceur, will eventually happen.

The problem here in this organization is basically fire the scapegoat.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them both getting better in their coaching careers outside the Montreal Canadiens. After all, this club is pretty much sachurated with too much ambiguity and slander when it comes down to administrative and coaching affairs.

Good luck with them both and thanks for taking the time (and the pain) of handling the circus here in Montreal.

51. jols101 says:

I guess the only way things will change in MTL is for the players to revolt. It will continue to be French first, Winning second until players stand up and say this is rediculous, get me the hell out of here. I would love to read an article in a few days saying Price, PK and Patches agents all call Begevin asking to be traded. Why any player would want to play in Montreal after hiring a guy like Therrien is beyond me. Obviously, the hire was to appease the French media and winning is not a priority in Montreal. Until this French first ideology is returned to the politicians of Quebec were it belongs and away from hockey winning another Stanley Cup will be a pipe dream. There is too much parity in the League right now making it almost immposible to win a cup with a fair playing field. Having this French first anchor pulling this team to the bottom will ensure many tough years ahead and Players and Free Agents understand this better then most. Therrien would have never gotten another NHL job ever, but because he was the French medias choice and the Habs organization is run by a gutless GM and Owner, this once proud Franchise has been reduced to the laughing stock of the League…

• aj says:

I would not be surprised as well that Bergevin and company will turn this club as an “Exclusive” french-only club.

If that happens, I can’t wait for Price, Subban, and Pacioretty to leave this place.

How do you say Dudley and Mellanby in french?

• Habfan10912 says:

People are really angry. I feel uncomfortable here of late. Sure hope the mood changes before the summit.

———————————–

• smiler2729 says:

We’ve been fed a load of crap for quite a long while now.

True, cheers Habsfan10912
            _______________________________________
            Calling it like it is:
            Jack Edwards is a clam.
            Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
            Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Smiler I think I share the frustration and your post are not the ones making me uncomfortable. Being critical of ones team and being angry are different. Hang in there the best you can. I’ll see you st the summit and the first ones on me. Cheers.

———————————–

• JUST ME says:

Although i agree that the language issue has nothing to do with sports, i strongly suggest that you take your pills and start questionning yourself about the necessity to check the content of your toothpaste tube every morning.

There is no need to think that Napoleon is needed here for a revolution . Hockey players go where the money is. Montreal is the best place to be if you are a hockey player. But this comes with a price , to be under lots of pressures that have nothing really to do with hockey. Being a god,a rock star is unique to Montreal but ask any star and they all will tell you they all have their burden to carry.

Anyway after two wins you will have forgotten everything. Seen that, been there,done that.

• kbhab4ever says:

The French thing is over blown. The HABS always TRY to pick the best player no matter his last name. The difference was and should be is that they load up on Q players in the later rounds.Even Savard did this.The french thing was always about the coach and to a lesser the players because the coach was the one that spoke EVERY day to the PRESS. “IF THE TEAM WINS WHO CARES` JUST WIN BABY, JUST WIN

• Mattyleg says:

This has to be the worst, most unenlightened post I’ve read on here in a long time.

Congratulations! You’ve brought being a Habs fan to an all-new low!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Don’t know about that but its an example of peoples anger. Glad you haven’t joined them Matty.

———————————–

• Mattyleg says:

I would understand this kind of idiocy if we had passed on a really good coach… but this kind of reaction for missing out on… Crawford? Roy?
          …really?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. smiler2729 says:

So I slept on it like everybody else… and this still blows.

I’m most disappointed in Marc Bergevin and to an extent Rick Dudley. Letting the francomedia dictate the head coach is just brutal.

The fuzzy feeling that came with the Bergy hiring and then Dudley and Mellanby has instantly evaporated with the return of the chain smoking Pepsi lovin’ poutine smile of Mike Therrien, an RDS Antichambre moron who thought he knew better than everybody else last season as he and the other dillweeds there openly mocked everything Canadiens – how dare they? That’s our job here.

In fact we should coach this team…

Seriously, I don’t like Therrien as coach and I dislike him even more for canning Merci Beaucoup Cunneyworth who I think will be picked up and become another “head coach that got away and excelled elsewhere”.

Peut etre c’est parce que le club de hockey Canadien vraiement n’a pas de temps pour nous…

Whatever, man, a draft I should be psyched about is probably going to be another letdown, the July 1st UFA frenzy will probably also be disappointing for us and there’s a great big lockout coming in the fall so it is what it is, no matter what they sell us, the mighty historic fabled Montreal Canadiens are nothing but a badly run hockey team no better than the Columbus Blue Jackets…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• CalgaryHab says:

All the good will that has built up in the last 2 months left with one fell swoop! RC to be treated the way he has been by the organization and french media to be exited by the likes of MT is dispicable.

• kbhab4ever says:

I think that the FIRST words out of his mouth about the HABS was it was a honor and that the team will bring INTENSITY AND DISCIPLINE AND PRIDE AND STUCTURE.What is wrong with that?The HABS need teamTHINK,They could of used that last year The Count WOULD NOT NOR RC.COULD There will be no talking back next yr.on the bench.

• smiler2729 says:

Don’t fall for any of that press conference propaganda, Count JM spewed the same kind of optimistic crap that they think we all need to hear.

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

53. Gumper Knows Best says:

Since RDS decided on the head coach, why stop now.

They should chooses the assistants with a televised show called
    Idol des Canadiens.

The anti chambre guys can ask the questions then the people call in to vote.
    If you want Mario Tremblay 1-800-DIS-ASTER
    iF you want Chris Nilan…….1-800-KNU-CKLES
    If you want Gerard Gallant…1-800-LAN-GLAIS

54. Hoegarden says:

Anyone from the Ottawa gang left ?

55. sampson12 says:

This year, in Ottawa, at all-star weekend, I had the pleasure of sneaking into the VIP party and doing some serious partying with my idols. It was a mission that I completed.

If I took one good thing from the conversations I had (more or less just listened in on), it was Aaron Ward and Carey Price talking about how great of a coach and a mentor Randy Ladouceur is.

I’m disappointed that he is gone.

(For the record, Aaron Ward may have been the drunkest guy there other than Dion Phaneuf. The guy’s an animal.)

56. habsfan0 says:

I’m sure Therrien has a few people in mind for his assistant coaching positions, and has probably already discussed this with Bergevin during the interview process.

57. punkster says:

Come on folks, the other thread is almost at 2000 posts.

Do your part…get over there and say something.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

58. Sir.Plekers says:

BERRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGEVIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN SUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKS!

59. Dryden_29 says:

Randy Cunneyworth et Randy Ladouceur sont relevés de leurs fonctionsu Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur are fired.

Sooo… Mario Trembley for the assistant coach? I mean since we are going back in time and all.

• jon514 says:

I think it should be a rotating panel of AC guys!

• Ton says:

i think mario would make a fabulous head coach……..note i did not capitalize mario for it irks old bald guy old fart whatever his name is if don’t get your grammar right.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ton, not to pile on here, but presentation matters. Content is key, but it has to be readable for it to matter. If I have to stop and interpret what someone wrote, try to guess what they’re trying to say, then the post isn’t expressing their view properly.

A clumsy analogy I use is of the chef who puts out great food, but on filmy plates and on a greasy table with stained napkins. The presentation detracts from the main course, and makes you question the chef’s professionalism.

I’m not saying your post was that bad, didn’t see the original one anyway, but I support what ODB, er, OBB is telling you.

———————————

61. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

after much reflection……………………………

The one thing about Therrien that I have to admit I like is his passion and emotional involvement behind the bench. I am pretty sure we will get tougher next season, and I LOVED the throat slashing gesture made after McLaren almost killed Zedenik.

I still think he is a washed up loser hired only to appease the Saugenay scum who populate the RDS website, and that Crawford was the best option by a mile, but at least he is not a soft robot like JM.

• smiler2729 says:

So true.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

62. HabFanSince72 says:

How many more cronies does Bergevin have?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

63. Kooch7800 says:

@ Shiram,

Sorry man it cut us off so I couldn’t reply down below.

In his first season with the club in 2010–11, Cunneyworth led the Bulldogs to a 44–27–2–7 record, getting 97 points and first place in the North Division. In the post-season, he led the club to series victories over the Oklahoma City Barons and Manitoba Moose before losing to the Houston Aeros in the Western Conference finals – from Wiki

RC was pretty damn good when left on his own and that Dogs team wasn’t that great either. In saying that they were better than last years dogs team by a long shot.

I think he will be a good coach when given a chance. Everything from the handling of the players to the coaches last year was really handled poorly by the management of the habs. Hope that changes

• shiram says:

So he got 20 points less than his predecessor in Hamilton, I know AHL roster are very fluid, but still.

Heh I wanted to like him as a HC, really, but I could not. He was so very bland.

• Kooch7800 says:

the year before they had a much better roster though. I feel bad for AHL coaches. Look at the bulldogs last year, the majority of the team was playing up in the NHL cause of injuries.

Anyway yes, he was kind of bland but I think he will do well somewhere but it wasn’t with the habs. I miss Muller

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

64. LizardKing12 says:

After all the excitement of the first round and many people claiming these playoffs to be the most exciting ever the rest of the series did not live up to the hype. I hope the kings get this over with tonight because honestly the playoffs have been a bore from the second round on with only a few bright spots. Maybe once the playoffs end we will start to see some resignings and possibly some trades.

65. jon514 says:

I would’ve kept Cunney as an assistant just to coach DD – Patches – Cole. Kinda sucks for him.
    BONNE CHANCE RANDY!

66. shiram says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL

Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur relieved of their duties as assistant coaches. Details to follow.

• shiram says:

Do any of those 2 get a job in the NHL faster than JM?

• mdp2011 says:

I think they might resurface somewhere in the NHL or AHL, but neither of them really impressed me. Hated the way Ladouceur handled Subban.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I doubt Cunneyworth will get a NHL job soon. He did not impress, and he didn’t have the gumption to stand up for himself. Just did what he was told.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they both knew it was coming. Cunneyworth was treated like a piece of garbage by the habs organization. For a classy organization that was handled pretty poorly

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

Cunney was given a great chance, to be the Head coach in the NHL, but yeah he was not treated too fairly.
        Then again, they gave him the spot in Hamilton over Muller…

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think he was truely given a fair chance in the NHL. he was handed a team headed on the hardest road trip of the season and wasn’t really allowed to implement too much and also tossed under the bus to boot.

He was a good coach in the AHL I thought. Muller should have been the next head coach of the Canadiens plain and simple but the language thing counted him out even though he is a great hockey mind and is loved by the players.

It is underrated what happened to the habs PP when muller left and even the team in general. Carolina is the better for it

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

I would not be hard on Cunneyworth, except he really affected the team’s overal record negatively, I’m sure his hands were tied on some matter, but still the record speaks for itself.
            He just does not seem like a good coach to me.

• jon514 says:

+100. We look so bad here. I wish him well. Maybe Muller will hire him as an ‘A’?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

hmmmmm…………………..

What now for Cunny, and who replaces them?

• JUST ME says:

Sad for the Randys. Wrong place at the wrong time. Got to enjoy R.C. for what it was worth. I guess if you choose to turn the page ,some will have to pay for it as in any business…

• LizardKing12 says:

I wish Cunneyworth the best of luck. He was thrown under the bus here immediately after being hired. Although being given an opportunity to be a head coach in the NHL is never bad Cunny probably couldn’t have fallen into a worse situation. To his credit he handled it with a great deal of poise and class. I hope he gets another chance to be a head coach in the NHL eventually.

That being said these firings are not surprising at all. Head coaches like to bring in their own guys. Some talk of Desjardins as a potential assistant and I really hope that isn’t true. Desjardins was a good dman but he has no coaching experience at any level. I would like someone with experience and a proven track record with young players to help develop PK, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis because they have the potential to make up one of the best defensive units in the NHL.

67. mdp2011 says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL

68. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

new saying that we should ALL adopt: WWCHD?

(what would Crawford have done?)

69. shiram says:

Get it over with!

70. JUST ME says:

Tought it would be easy for the Kings but not that much!
    Let`s end the suffering tonight .
    Devils will not come back from a 0-3 lead for the Kings. Even if they do win tonight, i think it is pretty obvious who deserves the cup.
    And then, let`s deal with the serious things in MTL .!

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Too soon!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

72. JohnBellyful says:

Hey, what’s going on here, we haven’t finished talking about Therrien.

Edit: Spry does an excellent job describing the steady decline of a once-great institution.

73. Habsolutely says:

LA took him 11th.

74. showey47 says:

I’m sure he would have thrived under JM,lol. I seriously couldn’t post that without laughing.

75. Habsolutely says:

I think Crosby, Johnson, Price, and Kopitar were the best picks in that draft. In that order.

76. Habsolutely says:

true, also James Neal and Vlasic deserve a mention from the 2nd round.

77. otter649 says:

Jonathan Quick was a 3rd round pick in the 2005 draft & making a name for himself this season……

78. Un Canadien errant says:

Whether he was fired or not, he would have still been paid, as his contract stipulates. The same with Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin, both are still drawing their salaries.

———————————