Liveblog: Devils beat Flyers 3-1, advance to Eastern Conference final

Devils celebrate

Say goodnight, Kate Smith.
God bless parity.

Another top seed is out of the playoffs.

Ilya Kovalchuk, who is having great playoffs, fired a rocket past Ilya Bryzgalov on a New Jersey power play to seal the deal in five games.
With Claude Giroux watching from the stands, Philadelphia couldn’t generate enough offence to beat New Jersey’s rock-solid defensive system.
Bottom line: New Jersey’s best outplayed Philadelphia’s.
Jaromir Jagr was invisible in the series, as were James Van Riemsdyk and Wayne Simmonds.
In the end, the Flyers may have been hurt by their easy conquest of the Penguins.
The Devils had a tough series against Florida, going to OT in the seventh game in the Panthers building.
They were battle-tested, and ready to advance.

BTW, Bryzgalov is signed until 2020.

And Phoenix, his old team, has Mike Smith.

The Flyers join the Bruins, Penguins, Canucks, Blues, Blackhawks, Red Wings and Predators as upset victims.

Here’s a wild stat: the Devils are the highest-scoring regular-season team still alive in the playoffs.

Another one: Only three of 25 highest salaried players are still active in playoffs: Brad Richards, Marion Gaborik and Alexander Ovechkin.

1. temekuhabs says:

Any chance we make a pitch for Zach???

• habstrinifan says:

yep!

• Malreg says:

There will probably be at least 20 teams making a pitch for him.

Speculation is he and Suter will sign with the same team. Apparently they are both very good friends.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Ken Holland couldn’t be happier

• LizardKing12 says:

If Bergevin wanted to get really bold he would dump Gomez in the minors, and find a way to get rid of Kaberle and Bourque. That would free up 14.8 mil which could be given to Suter and Parise. I’m not sure they would go for it but we would have a really solid team.
        Top 6: Top 4 D:
        Pacs DD Cole PK Gorges
        Parise Pleks Gio Markov Suter

2. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Crawford anyone??
    any opinions at all would be greatly appreciated.

• habsfan0 says:

Maybe.

• habstrinifan says:

OK by me.

But I would drive to MTL and sculpt a statue of Marc Bergevin if he manages the triumvirate of Roy/Carbonneau/Robinson…. I could also reserve your spot on the parade route were that to happen. We gonna have a parade one way or another… cause we have the coolest bench/GM or cause we won the Cup.

• LizardKing12 says:

Not a big fan. He’s missed the playoffs 5 years in a row and it isn’t like he had terrible teams. Vancouver was in a bit of turmoil the last year he was there. LA had some talent though with Kopitar, Frolov, Cammy, Visnovsky and Blake and the Stars had Richards, Ribs, Neal, Ericsson, Jamie Benn and Brenden Morrow.

Sure they weren’t powerhouse teams but they were definitely playoff worthy. To me it just seems like he doesn’t get the best out of his players. If he is hired though I will support him until he proves otherwise.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If we’re going to go with middling choices, let’s hire former Montréal greats. Patrick Roy, Jacques Lemaire, Guy Carbonneau, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Kirk Muller, we have a lot of candidates who can fill the roles.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

3. frontenac1 says:

So the foxy lady on CBC says Quenneville staying put.She wouldn’t lie would she?

4. otter649 says:

PJ Stock says he was/is a professional dumper – Depends ?

• Stormin says:

PJ Oops I Crapped my pants Stock, is not professional at anything, including dumping, actually he is probably crap at dumping , hence depends.

5. L Elle says:

I earn .10114562369874112256522222252222% of what Bryz earns.

6. Mattyleg says:

Is it just me, or does anybody else find it a bit icky for a man well into his 70s like Bob Cole to use the word ‘baby’ as often as he does?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Stormin says:

CBC coast to coast coming up, I would love to see this segment with them all talking after hits of helium

8. LizardKing12 says:

It feels like Philly is doomed to never have a good goalie ever again. Bryzgalov was a solid goalie in Phoenix but has been below average all year for the Flyers. Seems like even King Henrik wouldn’t post a SV% above .900 in Philly!

9. Mattyleg says:

Flyers wingers are breaking into the zone acres apart.
    They need to close the gap between them because their passes are too long – easy for Brody to predict, and lots can go wrong in such a long pass.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. otter649 says:

Bryzalgov pulls a (junior) MA Fleury move for a goal……

11. Mattyleg says:

Hilarious. That penalty was for the least offensive thing that the Flyers have done to the rules of hockey this game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Max_a_million says:

Pelle Lindbergh was good yes!

Pelle was a stud, was a shame how that ended. In my opinion the last great Philly goalie, I never thought Hextall was great, but I suppose was effective. (Granted he had that one great Cup run)

13. Mattyleg says:

Can someone translate this for me please?

“1P 7:30 Flyers give up great looks in their zone”
    -Mike Boone

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. kempie says:

Wow. This is gonna get dumb.

15. habsfan0 says:

“Attention Ilya Bryzgalov! Your car’s on fire!”

What a useless piece of crap that guy is.

He has to be the worst long term signing since Yashin.

Rinaldo is out there just looking for headshots.

haha Philly goaltending at its finest!

19. commandant says:

Now that one is Bryzgalov’s fault.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

20. Mattyleg says:

How the flying F&#*% was THAT not an interference penalty?!
    The Devils player wasn’t anywhere near the puck!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. HabsFanMTL says:

hahahahahahaah what a goal!!!!

22. Mattyleg says:

Bettman was NBA Commissioner.
    Of course players are leaving their feet all the time now.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. HabsFanMTL says:

woohoooo go Jersey!

24. commandant says:

Announcer blaming the goalie on a puck that was clearly tipped?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Take that Philly, Go Jersey Go!

26. canada4l says:

Looks like the refs are “letting them play hockey”. I never understood this phrase as hockey has rules and by not inforcing them it no longer is hockey. While they are at letting the Flyers goon it up why not stop calling off sides and icings. They are “letting them play hockey.”

• boing007 says:

It was better than The Chris Lee Show in the first round.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

27. punkster says:

Did I just see two players leave their feet to hit one? With no call?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

28. Max_a_million says:

I love how the Leafs can’t win in this Dudley situation. If he stays they have their enemies head scout in their midst as a spy, and if he goes so goes all of their insight to their enemy.

Love how this one turned. I like that Bergevin, has successful friends looking to follow him! Bodes well for us!

29. ZepFan2 says:

Clean shot? Umm, no, he left his feet.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

30. Mattyleg says:

This is what makes the NHL suck:

Volchenkov drills Schenn with a perfectly legal hit when Schenn had the puck; he gets completely pasted by imbeciles when he no longer has the puck.

How is that legal?

The NHL needs to start enforcing its own rules.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. canada4l says:

So how many games for that charge? He clearly left his feet. Not sure if he hit him in the head.

32. Stormin says:

Volchenkov just joined Schenn, courtesy of Rinaldo

Flyers playing Flyers hockey now, the Philistines must be happy.

34. frontenac1 says:

But Quenneville has got a french name. Maybe he could just fake the lingo a bit.He could get away with it.

35. Mattyleg says:

Is it just me, or has Jagr completely disappeared this series?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Agree 100%, I think the longer sched. compared to KHL and his age is now catching up. He has been wonderful for Philly all year, but seems to me he has run out of steam. (You do realize he will now have 4 point night and make us look like the idiots we are eh Matty?)

• Mattyleg says:

Totally!
        Actually, maybe that’s why I did that.
        Subconscious, you know..?

Yeah, I’m sure it’s the age thing catching up with him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Stormin says:

Schenn got belted back into Monday

What a hit by Volchenkov, would love if we had him and Emelin on our defense.

• Malreg says:

Nice hit, but Volchenkov has been terrible this playoffs. He was on the ice for almost every goal against at one point in the 1st round.

38. frontenac1 says:

Stormin,That’s what she said!

39. Mattyleg says:

My girlfriend made the most insightful observation about the Roy situation the other day.
    I said that I was on the fence about him, and she kind of went quiet, then said:
    “His problem is that he doesn’t listen. You see it in interviews, you see it on TV; he doesn’t listen to anybody. That’s why he and Tremblay had such a bad time together. Tremblay doesn’t listen either. Do you want a coach that isn’t going to listen to his players?”

I thought about that, and she has an amazing point. He is coach, GM, and part owner so that he doesn’t have to listen to anyone but himself.

Do you really think that he’d listen to a rookie GM who’s the same age as him? No, I didn’t think so either. A legend like Lemaire, perhaps. Otherwise, his two Stanley Cup rings are stuck in his ears…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LizardKing12 says:

I’m on the fence about Roy for the same reason. Especially having a rookie GM I don’t think it is the right time for Roy to be named coach of the Canadiens, the risk is just too high IMO. I’m not saying he wouldn’t make a good coach, he might but he might also be a disaster due to his temperament. I’d rather not do the rookie coach thing again, especially not with a rookie GM and coming off the worst Habs season in several decades.

Mr. Boone given your support for the Liverpool squad, I can count on you to support my Bayern Munich squad against Chelsea? Right?

41. L Elle says:

Last year RDS interviewed Quenneville and encouraged him to say something in French.

He couldn’t put two words together. OY!

42. frontenac1 says:

Forget about Patrick Roy,too much of an introvert. Get “Le Tigre and Bluet”behind the bench.Now you’re talkin!

Ron Mclean needs to stop with his pathetic attempts at segways. WTF does Tiger Woods at a golf tournament named Wells Fargo have to do with a hockey game at an arena with the same sponsor.

Gee Ron, perhaps you could pull your head out of that rear area and realize Tiger never plays Quail Hollow well, regardless of the sponsors name.

Sorry, but I am completely done with Mclean. Worse than Cherry IMO.

44. Stormin says:

Quenneville apparently failed his French oral.

45. Stormin says:

AK46 will be playing with the Belarus Mooseheads next year

Watched a clip on TSN regarding man of the hour Quenneville, I don’t know I have a sneaky suspicion that this dog still hunts. I think Bergy has something up his sleeve.

47. frontenac1 says:

Patrick Roy won’t work;too much of an introvert! Get “Le Tigre and Bluet” back of the bench.Now you’re talkin!

Okay just so i don’t sit at the wrong table tonight, we are cheering for Jersey right? (Sits nervously waiting…..)

Edit: I hope I am right, cuz i just got my face painted.

• L Elle says:

A wise man once said…We hate both teams. :)

hmmmm valid point, but my issues with Philadelphia run deeper. Funny though, as a kid my mom used to cheer for the Flyers, and I almost went down that path, thankfully Robert Frost showed me the road not taken in my family and I became a Hab fan.

• L Elle says:

Well at least your Mom was a hockey fan, and didn’t insist you take ballet lessons. LOL

Haha, when the flyers started their brawls she would scream, oh look the boys are dancing again!

And there is a photo my family has, which has never helped me, which you would find very ironic based on your last post! ;-)

• L Elle says:

haha, there’s a picture of you in tights? NO way!!!

worse, not tights, I must now shut up and say no more.

• Habfan10912 says:

What’s you Mom’s number. Will pay top $ for that pic! :)

———————————–

• L Elle says:

Now, we’re all dying of curiosity, but respect your privacy, sort of. ;)

• Mattyleg says:

Ugh. I don’t really care that much anymore.
      I originally wanted Philly to win, but this has turned into so much wishy-washiness, I’ve kind of given up interest.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. otter649 says:

If Martin Lapointe joins The Habs does that mean Montreal will get discounts for ice time at The Martin LaPointe Arena in Lachine/Ville St Pierre…..

50. habsfan0 says:

“Mario Tremblay, on RDS, praises Ilya Kovalchuk: “a good person, easy to coach.”

Mario Tremblay on Patrick Roy:”Not as easy.”

51. frontenac1 says:

Durocher,those pictures are hilarious,but Kane partys like a girl.He needs AK to show him how a Pro gets it done!

52. L Elle says:

All this Quenneville talk. Pretty strong rumours. According to RDS, he’ll be talking to the press in the near future.

“I love Chicago, I ain’t leaving” or “Montreal here I come?”

53. ont fan says:

So Chicago and Vancouver seem to be keeping their coaches. Who’s next up?

54. Habfan10912 says:

Lots of rumors and some made up stuff perhaps going on with the coaching position. I’m thinking MB is keeping the search and interviews close to vest. I wouldn’t be surprised if nothing is heard until the position is filled. I think he’s probably already close. Maybe this week?

———————————–

55. habsfan0 says:

If Flyers’ goalie Ilya Bryzgalov allows a quick goal tonight, it will be interesting to see how the Philadelphia crowd will react to him.

Pat Hickey might want to caution Bryzgalov as to where NOT to park his car if the Flyers are eliminated tonight, particularly if Bryzgalov stinks out the joint.

56. Bripro says:

Wow. What a great day to be in a sulky mood!
    HIO is in snooze mode.
    The playoffs suck!
    The Habs are off somewhere exotic, on vacation, playing golf!
    The playoffs suck!
    The Twitter world is as dead as HIO.
    The playoffs suck!
    My pool selections look like they were audited by a Senate Committee rep.
    And most of all, without our Habs, (did I tell you?….)
    The playoffs suck!

• LNev says:

Good for Kane! Might as well have some fun… he’s just acting like the majority of 23yr olds… gets the press because of his job and the higher moral ground he’s held too (by people who don’t tred close to that ground).

Pretty wild stuff, I managed to see a Moose once playing a course in Manitoba in Riding Mountain National Park, that was pretty cool.

• Habsolutely says:

just wanted you guys to know the dangers I face in pursuing my hobbies.

:lol:

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve got black bears down my way. Heres my rankings from Jim is scared to death to caution.
        1. Gators
        2. Moose
        3. Bears

Time for you two to come down/up here!

———————————–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Gotcha HiB!
        Dangling participle — your sentence has a moose playing golf in Manitoba!
        God curse me for a pathetic old, Habs-not-in-the-playoffs pedant!

• Habfan10912 says:

Holy crap. Time for you to move back north bud. Awesome video.

———————————–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Bears are pretty common on the golf courses in Whistler. Also, two years ago we had a mother bear with a cub that would come graze where the outfield met with the woods. When I played right field I’d always sneak a look over my shoulder to check that she was still at least 50 metres away between every pitch. She never came on the field when we were playing, never paid us no mind though.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

57. Bripro says:

Tony Marinaro…he needs a real job. His function? Going onto Twitter and asking:
    “Would you trade Habs 3rd pick to Philly straight up for Sean Couturier?”

I would ask Couturier and a second rounder….why not?

58. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

1. If we want Dudley and if he has an out clause then we can basically have him whenever we want, Burke has no say at all, he can pound salt for all I care.

59. chanchilla says:

I think the chicago connection will work to our benefit, id love to see bolland in a habs jersey, well, id love to see toews in a habs jersey; but i was trying to be realistic hah

60. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,Dandy! I liked him.He would always leave it all out on the ice!

To the fans of the Chargers of the NFL here is an intriguing article about the team and specifically the tragedies that have befallen members of the 1994 squad.

Markov’s plans for the summer.

• shiram says:

thanx for that, I liked what I read.
      A healthy Markov would be a great piece of next year’s puzzle.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that was encouraging :)

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Agree Shiram and Christopher, still believe people have been unfair in writing this guy off. As for the PK/Markov relationship, I think Markov was just sick and tired of the past two years, we get to see a healthy happy Markov next year me thinks.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if indeed ‘the out’ for Dudley is actionable immediately …the issue becomes a matter of legality vs ethics

…I have no idea whether Dudley, once the Weeds’ season was over, that his contractual obligations were complete, or not

…but, it would be professional suicide to take his inside knowledge of da dasturdly Weeds draft strategy to Montreal, not to say anything about any further civil relationship (an oxy-moron ?) between The Turds, I mean The Weeds, and Nous Sommes

…if Dudley leaves immediately to Our Team, likely it’s on the understanding He, Dudley, will twiddle His thumbs until post-draft

…which seems, wink wink :) , unlikely

…I adore, love Burke in apoplectic-mode …don’t You ? :)

_________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

64. habsnyc says:

Does anyone feel that Mattieu Dandenault would be a good assistant coach? If not in the NHL then at least in the AHL. I thought he was a well liked player with great heart. Remember how he finished a shift with a broken arm?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• secretdragonfly says:

Loved Mathieu when he played for us – player with a lot of heart, very similar to Gorges. Not sure he has any coaching experience but hey, I’d give him a shot. He certainly couldn’t do any worse than Randy L.

In terms of the Lapointe article. How intelligent would it be to saddle a new head coach with two assistants that were not of his choosing?

• commandant says:

Let Cunneyworth be head coach of the Dogs again?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Assuming Mr. Bergevin doesn’t already know who his new coach is though right Steve? Why do I get the impression not only was the Bergevin decision made sooner than we believe but that the Bergie has also already decided on his coach. Just my spidey sense tingling here bud.

• 24 Cups says:

Point well taken. But the only tangible candidates that I can think of are Crawford and Quenneville.

Is anyone afraid that this Chicago connection is going to be a bit like our last Ottawa leadership gang? Is in-breeding really that healthy?

I have wondered that a bit Steve, but I think he is picking the good fruit from Chicago, and one can argue the fruit that got them a Cup.

Not sure we even got the week old fruit from Ottawa, I think what we got was already rotten… That may be too hard on JM but not PG.

66. LNev says:

Pathetic. Bergevin has done less work in the last week then I have. Well, almost…

• Cardiac says:

Too bad he has made more public appearances in the past two weeks than Gauthier did in the past two months.

- Jerry Maguire

• LNev says:

Probably doesn’t even have a chair in his office yet… well, like a new good one. Not some old chair with flakey arm rests, unidentifiable food stains and someone else’s ass-groove.

This franchise is falling apart.

• Rugger says:

Actually he has done a lot – he has:

Avoided trading away any draft picks for immediate help
      Avoided trading any prospects for over the hill Rangers
      Avoided signing anyone to 10 year contracts.

Not bad for one week.

• LNev says:

or has he:

Avoided trading for any draft picks and immediate help
        Avoided trading for prospects from the over the hill ‘SomeOtherTeam’ (oh, i hate those guys sooo much!)
        Avoided singing to anyone about 10 year contracts

see, lazy.

Mike Brophy of Sportsnet with his 2cents on Montreal wanting Dudley.

Thread photo score:

Dave Stubbs 1* – Mike Boone 0

* Even if she has her hands covering her face.

69. commandant says:

If the Devils win this series, they are likely to choose this season as the year they forfeit their first round pick for the Kovalchuk fiasco, moving our second round picks (and later) up 1 spot.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• 24 Cups says:

3rd, 32nd and 52nd(?) sounds good to me.

There’s also a good chance that Calgary and Nashville won’t make the playoffs next year which should help out with the 2nd rounders in 2013.

I also find it hard to believe we can’t get another 1st rounder next year at the deadline when we auction off an asset.

Two firsts and three seconds all in the top 44 for 2013. Me like.

• Cardiac says:

Perhaps we can sign Gaustad over the summer and deal him at the trade deadline next season…

- Jerry Maguire

70. mrhabby says:

i hope this series is over soon. its been hideous. boring compared to the pitt/philly series.

71. pmaraw says:

I still can’t believe we let Zubrus slip away. He was one of my favourite players back in the day. He’s only getting better with age also.

• Cardiac says:

In his best season with the Habs, he scored 42 points. And that was playing top 6 minutes. His highest career totals was when be played along side Ovie in Washington.

The guy was a bust, and to think we traded Dr. Recchi for him.

- Jerry Maguire

72. smiler2729 says:

Hey Boone, great piece on the HNIC intro montages, that was right on, those really get you into it…

There’s something about the marriage of image and music especially when they weren’t created as a collective piece (like those godd***ed music videos) that can really “hit you right square in the forehead” as my good buddy Gonzo used to say on the radio.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

73. First idiot to say FIRST!

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.