Liveblog: Devils beat Flyers 4-1, even series

Clarkson

No Ilya Kovalchuk?
No problem.
New Jersey dominated the home team – the Flyers went 18:30 without a shot on goal in the second period – and got three unanswered third-period goals by Adam Larsson, David Clarkson, Travis Zajac and a 180-foot empty-netter to stun Philadelphia.

•  •  •

P.K. Subban is on his way home from the World Championships.

The Canadiens’ defenceman sustained a “minor” knee injury in an exhibition game against Switzerland.

He will be examined by doctors in Montreal on Wednesday. Initial estimate is two weeks off skates.

Subban, on Twitter, says he’ll be O.K.

•  •  •

There are problems in Nashville.

The Predators have suspended our old friend Andrei Kostitsyn and recent KHL emigré Alexander Radulov for violation of team rules.

The dynamic duo are rumoured to have violated curfew on the eve of Game 3 in Phoenix, which the Predators lost to drop two games down in the series.

Quip of the Day: Apparently “bedcheck” and “backcheck” translate the same in Russian.

Runner-up: Looks like Radulov finally found a way to silence critics who were saying he doesn’t take enough shots.

Nick Kypreos on the Carey Price contract

Paul Holmgren, fearless GM

1. HFX-HabFan says:

I see Boone is following Mirtle on Twitter

Must have been a fluke when that Belgian born Vincent Kompany scored the goal for Man. City over Man. United, why would he give a give a flying rats ass about winning the English Premiere Title. I can’t believe people even cheered when he scored. Why would a Belgian born guy care about winning an English Title.

• Habfan10912 says:

I heard they suspended beer sales in the City for the day. I think the fans were cheering because they would be able to buy beer after the match. :)

———————————–

• Zorro1 says:

Perhaps he was dropped on his head too.

Same side effect,just became a fan of a different sport.

• HabFab says:

Sounds like you may need some more transmission fluid to get that gear changed.

Don’t understand for the life of me how people can actually believe where they are born makes them a superior hockey player when the Stanley Cup is involved. Boggles my mind. As Zorro has pointed out, my being dropped is clearly an issue I need to resolve. :)

• SuperHabFan says:

hahaha yea seriously send that guy back to Belgium

• habs-fan-84 says:

nice try, unfortunately you missed the point.

Yah, went right over my head….

• habs-fan-84 says:

EPL is considered the top league in Europe correct? Are you suggesting Belgian kids don’t grow up watching EPL?

Sounds to me you’re suggesting Belgian’s do not watch or care about EPL…? Perhaps I misunderstood…

Kids in Russia and Sweden know that the NHL is the top Pro Hockey league in the World, heck Vladislav Tretiak in the 70′s admitted he wished he could play for the Habs. My sarcasm regarding the Belgian kid not caring is exactly my point. For you to think that kids in Europe don’t know NHL is the best Pro league in the world is comletely nieve. Kids all through Sweden would watch Salming, Sundin and Forsberg compete in the NHL.

For you to earlier say that people from outside North America don’t want it as much, when they have dedicated themselves to the game so that they can play in the NHL is to me wrong. My opinion, we are entitled to one, I just don’t agree with yours. No hard feelings, just don’t understand.

• habs-fan-84 says:

HB
            Of course I know that European players know that the NHL is the the top league in the world. Again, my point was simply that in GENERAL I believe that players who grew up in NA watching the Stanley Cup playoffs will want “it” just a little more than the average kid growing up in Russia.

I think it’s time to agree to disagree, we’re simply spinning our wheels. At lease we agree on Clarkson.

3. SuperHabFan says:

I cannot even believe what is being said about where people are from. If you have ever played a high level sport of any kind you want to win. If its the Stanley Cup or the Stanley Keg in my backyard you know I’m playing to win. Now people playing like shit is another story. Maybe there just off their game doesn’t mean they don’t want to win. And believe me we can point out just as many Canadians “not playing to win” but we just choose not too… cough Thornton cough cough ahem.. sorry something in my throat. We just pick one or two Russians and decide that all Europeans who weren’t born in North America don’t want to win at the very sport they dedicated their entire lives too…

• commandant says:

Exactly.

A competitive person will give their all, whether its blocking shots to win the local beer league, or doing it in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Its an internal thing… some people are just super competitive and crave winning whenever someone is keeping score.

Others don’t.

And people from all countries fit in both of these categories.

• smiler2729 says:

It’s just a national pride thing, desperately trying to hang on to something deemed true to our national psyche as our collective identity erodes.

It’s the same in America with baseball now, latin players and now Japanese players are coming over and dominating America’s game. Wait ’til Yu Darvish leads the Texas Rangers to a World Series and gets the MVP.

It’d go down as comfortably in the brittle American psyche as a black President…
      _______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

4. Stormin says:

Bryzgalov has decided to play sober again

5. habsfaninboston says:

What’s up with Bryz? He was a sieve in the last series.

6. frontenac1 says:

So, the Ruskies like booze and broads?

7. Kimberly2u says:

Half the time Bob Cole is slurring like he’s drunk. Lol

8. habstrinifan says:

Boone I dont know if the game is boring or the commentary is flat. And just as I say that my man Henrique creates some excitement.

9. Stormin says:

The reverse Don Cherry 7 second delay should be used for Bob Cole.
    His play by play should be live with the game on a 7 second delay

Seems like it is about time we had a new Pro Hockey league open only for people of 3rd generation Canadian status, that way we can finally watch people play with passion.

I am so thankful my family moved to Canada, this country of great understanding. I don’t know where I got my passion for hockey from. Must have been when I was dropped as a child, because obviously i wasn’t born with any passion for hockey.

11. frontenac1 says:

Man, I wouldn’t want tp piss off Trotz. Even without a Fedora ,he looks like he would break your knees and throw a queen of hearts on your crumpled broken body.

12. habs-fan-84 says:

PJ Stock is right, re: kids in North America grow up watching Stanley Cup playoffs. Russians do not. Yes, it really is as simple as that. This is not a bigot comment this is simply a fact of life. Honestly, who do you think wants it more.

Flame away HIO commentriat.

• commandant says:

Yeah that Datsyuk, he disappears in the playoffs… same with Malkin, Pavel Bure, Alex Kovalev, Vlad Konstantinov, Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, and a number of other kids born in Russia.

We should add in the other Euros who didn’t grow up watching the playoffs, guys like Chara, Hasek, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Koivu, Elias, Jagr,

Must be cause they don’t want it enough.

• smiler2729 says:

The high level of compete is there in classy pros like Datsyuk, etc. but I gotta agree the intensity burns a little brighter in North American bred players who are born with this mystical Stanley Cup engrained into their hockey imaginations at the youngest of ages…

Just sayin’

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• commandant says:

Yup, I’ve seen that intensity burn bright in the good Canadian boys like Pierre Turgeon, Dany Heatley, Mike Green, Patrick Marleau, Mike Ribeiro, and numerous others. Their desire come playoff time, and their heart and grit is something to behold, these good Canadian boys.

• smiler2729 says:

Forget the powder puffs that get forechecked into oblivion like those players, the playoffs is where the 3rd and 4th liners shine, it’s where the character of players rises.

_______________________________________
            Calling it like it is:
            Jack Edwards is a clam.
            Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• habs-fan-84 says:

what a lame argument, you’re simply picking the best examples of Russians and the worst examples of Canadians. Again, IMO “on average and in general” you will find North American players will want it more.

• commandant says:

If throughout your life you’ve shown the dedication and drive necessary to become talented enough to make the NHL… you are already outside the “average or general” population to begin with.

• habs-fan-84 says:

lol I`m not talking about the average general population. I`m talking about the average general Russian NHLer.

So if a person grows up not watching NHL playoffs, then moves here and falls in love with league they can’t really be dedicated? I do understand that kids growing up in Canada and parts of the U.S. have the NHL ingrained in their DNA, but any kid who is so passionate about hockey growing up in Europe so as to get them to the NHL also has the ability to care about winning also.

Why is hockey the only sport in the world where entitlement is so prevalent and you have to be from Canada to care about it?

• commandant says:

I think the reason is that kids in Canada grew up watching Don Cherry in the first intermission so thats been put into their heads.

And since he’s around all season and not just the playoffs the bigotry has time to really take hold.

Its all about what you grow up watching, right?

• habs-fan-84 says:

Again, just as you did in the previous thread you are incorrectly labeling me a bigot. I believe that on average and in general your Canadian kids who grow up watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs will simply want “it” more than the average Russian who may grow up watching the Worlds or Olympics etc. If that’s their cup of tea so be it. IMO it’s utter naivety to believe that they’re going to give the same consistent compete level as a couple Canadian kids, but hey what do I know I’m just a bigot.

• boing007 says:

If you repeat any message ad nauseum some people will start to believe it. Why? Because they’re lazy and easily impressed by their peers. Remember ‘Weapons of Mass Destruction? They haven’t found any yet.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Bill says:

You lost me at “PJ Stock is right”: a statement like that can only mean you are wrong.

How many of the last four Conn Smyth trophy winners were Canadian? Answer: one. One was Russian, another Swedish, another American.

Who wants it more? The most competitive players. Has nothing to do with the name of the trophy: has to do with wanting to WIN. And a Malkin or a Zetterberg can want to win as much or more as any Canadian kid. Come on! :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It´s 2.42 am here in central Europe and my favourite team doesn´t even play. Yet I am watching. Would you watch Flyers-Devils till 4 am? No sorry, you´re right, of course only North Americans really care about the Stanley Cup playoffs…

• habs-fan-84 says:

so what.

I have friends who wake up at the earliest of hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch English Premier League. On average and in general however, I believe the most hardcore of fans will be located in England and throughout Europe where Footy thrives. That doesn’t mean there aren’t people over here who still love it though. Again, “on average and in general” is the “thesis” of my post.

13. Stormin says:

Someone should write a book on the after period interviews, it would be one page long , same cliches every interview

Hmm so PJ Stock thinks this is an ancestrol thing. Well damn those idiots for not growing up in Canada and having careers as great as yours PJ you fricking baffoon!

• commandant says:

PJ is just making sure the levels of anti-Russian bigotry remain high despite the fact he isn’t wearing a fancy suit like the normal guy in the first intermission.

• smiler2729 says:

He kind of had a point but he’s still a moron.

To European hockey players, the NHL is where the big money is but in reality the world championships are more important to them than the Stanley Cup.

It’d be the same if we played there, it’d be great and all to be competing for the championship but in our hearts, it wouldn’t be no Stanley freakin’ Cup.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Really Smiler? Do you believe that? Again, I understand Canadian kids have it ingrained in them, but are you telling me Esa Tikanen wasn’t passionate about winning the cup? Unbelievable, how is that in soccer you are allowed to be from outside England and care about the game but hockey is only allowed to be played at a high level by Canadians.

Yes you mentioned Stanley Cup as a differentiation from world Championships, but you know what there a pieces of crap from Canada like Alexander Daigle who only played for money.

My goodness I am so glad Canada is a world leader in human rights, we are so much better than everyone else in hockey.

• smiler2729 says:

I didn’t say the Europeans only come here to play for the money, I said the NHL is where the BIG MONEY in pro hockey is (until the KHL came along).

And yeah there are the Esa Tikkanens and also the Alexandre Daigles of the world.

_______________________________________
          Calling it like it is:
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

15. commandant says:

PJ stock thinks the Devils don’t like their goalie….

Why is this moron still on my tv.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

So couple days ago I pondered whether the reinstitution of Radulov into the lineup, especially as a #1 line player was perhaps a problem. Also mentioned all the other changes they made could have been a problem. Hal Gill I am sure bought into the system right away, he is a pro, afterall he got a mohawk cut to show it!

I have to admit, during the trade deadline, I was guilty of falling into the allure of Radulovs skill set, and hoped that perhaps part of the AK trade involved his rights.

I commend Trotz and Poile for suspending these jackasses. Yes I called them jackasses, because in order to be suspended at this point in the playoffs, they were clearly acting like jackasses.

Karma is a B#tch sometimes, and perhaps Nashville is getting Karma right back in their front teeth. They were guilty of sitting like lapdogs all excited that their saviour who bailed on the team a number of years back was now going to make them a winner.

This is a major setback to that organization, and while I expect the regulars on that team to rally for a game, I believe the longer term impact is already done. And for anyone thinking I am being anti Russian regarding Radulov, I feel the same way towards Eric “Douchebag” Lindros who in a slightly different scenario screwed over an OHL team and an NHL in his attempts for self glorification.

End of day, I have no pity for AK or Radulov, they knew what was at stake when they decided to bust curfew drinking and hanging with women of ill repute until 5am. (I don’t know the facts you say, well I have heard from enough people that have a good idea, that I believe it, I could be wrong, but I’ll go with my gut on this one)

Go Phoenix Go! AK, I guess you didn’t learn a fricking thing in Montreal you thick headed moron. Radulov, good luck banging your stick into into Trotz’s head like you did to your KHL coach, I dare you.

Again, I repeat, I screwed up and actually hoped we had gotten the rights to Radulov in the Ak trade, I no longer feel that way.

Good on ya Poile and Trotz, I hope your team responds, but I still won’t cheer for Nashville, we have their picks, and I want good picks.

• Habfan10912 says:

Feel the same way. You do know whenever AK scores a couple of goals he’ll become another Hab Star the club gave away.
      May I just add one other thing Gerald? We heard how AK along with Gomez, were/are so loved by their teammates. Perhaps they are/were the life of the party.

———————————–

• Zorro1 says:

How do you know they were with women of ill repute at 5am?

Perhaps they were out shopping.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was anticipating Our Habs making a play for Parise and Radulov this summer …so You aren’t the only One here wondering what was I thinking on Radulov Gerald
      …this may influence the draft considerably as well …I would put My money on Edmonton selecting Ryan Murray, Columbus going for Galchenyuk or Forsberg, leaving Us a choice between Yakupov, Grigorenko, Dumba/Forsberg et al

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. Psycho29 says:

What was with the “YES YES YES” yelling on the CBC feed after the commercial? And Bob Cole asking what all the yelling is about???

18. twilighthours says:

CBC is a gong show tonight! Cole: “what’s all this yelling in my…”

19. Stormin says:

slash not, hooking not, penalty i guess so

20. Habs_4_ever says:

“Subban suffered a minor knee injury that would have sidelined him for approximately 2 weeks.”

I wonder if that is the same type of 2 weeks as what Markov was going to miss at the beginning of last season.

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

21. Mavid says:

I love Big Bird..I wish he was behind our bench..and that pink shirt is wonderful

22. Mavid says:

this is..do I dare say…almost exciting

23. twilighthours says:

Was that Boone calling out Gary galley for how he butchers cliches?

24. Kimberly2u says:

Go Flyers

25. Subban injury tonight. OUCH! He is on his way home….damn i was looking forward to seeing him during the tourney. Hope it isn’t too serious….concussion? lower body? How does that effect his ongoing contract discussions that are happening with his agent and Montreal? This injury is enough for him to get the next plane home….it could be serious.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont want to think re contract. i just want him back home, getting healthy and ready for the good times developing in Habs world. I am so freakin’ excited… I really sense Molson/Savard and the others are seriously intent on reclaiming the glory status of this team and are taking charge of every little aspect… in a good decisive and positive mannner.

GO HABS GO!!!

• Psycho29 says:

They said it’s lower body, probably a knee…

• HabFab says:

They are saying knee.

26. commandant says:

John Lu still reporting that PK injury is not serious and is “day to day” but Hockey Canada is sending him home because tourney starts on Friday and they can’t risk that it lingers during this short tourney.

27. slamtherimtim says:

if pierre doesnt get the job i think the canadiens made a mistake keeping around this long , at this point he is the favorite or is there because of the team 990 , so as much as i dont really like him , i have to believe the job is his to lose at this point

28. Psycho29 says:

RDS reporting Subban is heading back to Montreal

• habstrinifan says:

Glad he is if there is even the slightest chance that any further participatio may cause worse injury. And if it indicates an already bad injury then let’s get it looked at PRONTO.

I was looking forward to seeing him in WHC but I am a HABS fan first and foremost. I love the decision.

29. ont fan says:

Just saw an interview with Rad…he’s OK with the suspension..supposedly got reamed after last game for dogging it…Subban out for tournament

30. Marc10 says:

How is Boone going to juggle the live blogging with the inevitable AK-Radu Brokeback Photoshop Montage?

That’s the question we should all be asking?

31. Marc10 says:

Maybe Gauthier was an evil genius after all…

After activating the Pouliot Manchurian Candidate, he’s now deployed AK46 with Sergei as his insurance policy!

That guy was evil! Wow!

32. punkster says:

PK headed home?

Let the panic begin.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

33. frontenac1 says:

Knew my old brain cells were still functioning! Feb 2009,Kostitsyn Bros. And Hammer implicated with Mtl mobster who was “advising on Housing,Women and Vodka.”Police later said no problem there. On Google.I agree Fergy, Gill must be just shakin his head right now!

34. Zorro1 says:

St. Louis Blues: No Halak, no chance.

• smiler2729 says:

Don’t be a Jaroslave, it’s not like Penney Version ’10 led the Habs to the Cup that spring when the horseshoe was wedged in his butt for about 10 games…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Mark C says:

3 goals scored in 2 games, yet the reason the Blues won’t win is because their second best statistical goalie can’t play. Yeah, ok.

• boing007 says:

Which statistics are you talking about? Halak had more wins than Elliott.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

35. ed lopaz says:

I’m going to guess that Nashville will rally together as a team after this incident.

I know I would if I was a player.

If this was the leadership of the team suspended then the team would collapse.

But the team will rally around the coach, and especially around the leadership core of the team.

I would not want to be playing Nashville in the next few days.

• smiler2729 says:

They should get Dwight Yoakam to play on a wing with Travis Tritt centering.

That should make ‘em forget the Russian duo who don’t buy into the Tennessee Trotzky.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

36. That 2nd round pick for Andrei Kostitsyn suddenly holds a lot of value lol

37. habstrinifan says:

Dont know if this news has been posted in this or previous thread. Darren Dreger reporting that we should not expect any GM announcement from Canadiens until one of the owners-partners return from a hockey tournament in Europe… not the Worlds. I think might be his son or daughter involved. Apparently he is set to return this weekend.

Dreger is saying that because it is such a huge announcement everyone would want to be on hand to show solidarity.. or just to be there. Maybe Boone can tell us the name, which I missed.

• HabFab says:

Michael Andlauer, owner of the Hamilton Bull Dogs and part owner of the Montreal Canadiens. One of the committee of 4 doing the GM interviews.

• habstrinifan says:

Thank you HaFab. With this news and release of news that Loiselle and Guigere were interviewed but passed-on… it certainly seems like next week is the week eh. Only sour news today is confirmation of Subban’s injury. But I am so excite dthat people ar eminding the shop and he was ‘ordered’ back home. Some may disagree but I think Subban is big part of any exciting future habs gonna have in next one to two years.

I just don’t think Jersey can dump the Flyers. But this season will be a success for me if someone can. Boston out and Philly out is my 2012 play off run.
    Got to love those L.A. Kings! It just might come down to the Philly’s and the Kings if the Rangers can’t knock them off.

Enjoy the game tonight!

39. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – François Giguère + Claude Loiselle ont reçu des appels du Canadien. Ils ne sont plus dans la course pour le poste de dg.

These two told by Habs they are no longer in the running.

40. AH says:

Just saw on TSN that Francois Giguere is out as a GM candidate, does anyone know any details? Thx.

• smiler2729 says:

He’s too french

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

41. twilighthours says:

I’m so conflicted over this AK affair. On one hand, I’m feeling smug and glad he’s someone else’s problem. On the other, I actually feel sorry for the guy. He just doesn’t get it and never will.

42. Propwash says:

Is this Kostitsyn and Radulov in the room?
    *caution, may be offensive to some viewers, viewer discretion is advised.*

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• ZepFan2 says:

:shock:

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Propwash says:

Couldja imagine though? lol. Ill delete the post if it’s too much…..

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• ZepFan2 says:

Nah, I was just bluffing. :lol:

I was just trying out my shocked look.

Edit: I do agree with the Chernobyl Mother******. He should wash his mask before he puts it on.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

43. H.Upmann says:

One dollar bet there’s drugs & hookers involved in this AK-Radulov suspension.

44. commandant says:

There will be no offer sheet for Carey Price.

If there is no deal, the Habs will take Price to salary arbitration (as we did with Gorges, as Jersey did with Parise, as Nashville did with Weber, etc…) as Price is not a player coming off his ELC. The moment the Habs file for arbitration, the Offer Sheet window closes.

There is more chance that PK Subban is given an offer sheet because he won’t be eligible for arbitration. However the fact remains that GMs have been very reluctant to do that in this CBA, so even then the chances are still very small.

• savethepuck says:

The point of Kypreos’ article is that the new GM has to sign him to a contract that ties him up for his UFA years. If the team takes him to arbitration he can sign a short term deal for his RFA year(s) and then walk for nothing.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

45. shootdapuck says:

AK is a follower not a leader!

One look at Ruadulov’s face in game 2 it was easy to see that he was about to test the teams’ resolve!

Just a poison a talented one but a selfish poison.

Both these two will be riding old aeroflot charters next year, no doubt.

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

46. Ferg says:

The only thing surprising about this story is that Andrei’s little brother wasn’t with him. And how pissed do you suppose Hal Gill is right now? Gill had to watch that stiff float around like an unflushed turd for a couple of years in Montreal, and now he has to watch him pull this crap in Nashville?

• Zorro1 says:

Gill,in all likelihood,expected it.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont think that’s fair to Sergei. It might be better to accalim the fact that Andrei’s little brother wasnt with him and as Pierre McGuire said has turned his ‘life’ arounf after being under the influence of Weber etc in Nashville for the past year.

47. DarthAlexander says:

One thing about McGuire that might be extremely useful is that in his job for the last few years he has seen the entire NHL. He has heard various coaching strategies, seen and heard players, and has seen what’s worked and what hasn’t. This could potentially be one hell of an asset to have. He’s also been scouting (somewhat) all this time when you think about it. He’s probably seen almost every active player in the NHL (give or take) so this *might* make it easier for him to fix the problems we have.

Sucks that we have to keep waiting (regardless of who it will end up being) to find out.

“We only have one person to blame, and that’s each other.” – Berry Beck

48. Mustang says:

Of all of the potential candidates for the position of GM in Montreal, why does Pierre McGuire get so much attention here? Personally I considered him to be one of the possible replacements for Gauthier, nothing less nothing more, but it seems like some people are obsessed with him. WHY?????

• DarthAlexander says:

I think it’s because we don’t have Gauthier or Martin anymore to obsesses over. We need that fix.

“We only have one person to blame, and that’s each other.” – Berry Beck

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Pierre McGuire’s the only know candidate for the job that we enough about to form a strong opinion. When one person post a pro McGuire comment those of us don’t want him reply with a counter argument then it snowballs. (or ping-pongs? spirals maybe?). If someone wrote three paragraphs in praise of Marc Bergevin I wouldn’t reply because I don’t know much about him.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• RGM says:

He’s a very well known commodity thanks to years of national exposure on TSN and on the radio. Of all the candidates–real, rumoured, and otherwise–he is the person that elicits the strongest opinions simply because he has a very lengthy track record that instantly known to people. You don’t need to Google him for his CV like you do with a couple of the other names that are in the running.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

49. Habs_4_ever says:

Any news about P.K.?

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

50. Bigdawg says:

Wow do I ever hope we get a 7M+ offer sheet for price from TO. I think price is an amazing goalie, with franchise potential but even he won’t have a huge impact in TO which needs a lot more than a goalie. That means Two first-round picks (this year and the next year – a very juicy draft year), a second and third in return would be sweeeeeet!!!!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

$7M would entail four first round picks I think.

Will never happen.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nice, but no. The offer sheet would need to come after July 1st, so after this year’s draft. The draft picks would be in the subsequent drafts.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bigdawg says:

sure next year’s 1st and the one after that + 2nd and 3rd would still be awesome…in fact even better now we would land next year’s 1st+2nd+3rd – in a good draft year the GM would have to be daft ;)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I just don’t see losing Carey Price as a positive in any light. We’d be stuck like all the other teams, scrambling to overpay for an Ilya Bryzgalov, or a Jonathan Bernier or Roberto Luongo. We have an amazing asset, a franchise goalie for the next ten years.

The bounty of draft picks would just be a salve for the wound. What if the picks turned out like Andrei Kostitsyn and David Fischer and Eric Chouinard? I’d rather stick with the sure thing.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s the thing. Many posters don’t view Price as even being in consideration of a sure thing. While I myself am trying not to be overly-optimistic, I get the feeling that many would rather not have Price on the team in exchange for a little extra scoring.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I just have realistic expectations. He’s not Patrick Roy, he’s not Ken Dryden, that’s true. He’s never gone on an unbelievable run like Jaroslav Halak, also true.

What he does bring is great size, athleticism, and calm. He has the pedigree, he’s not a flash in the pan, he always had promise and he’s delivering on it. He’s homegrown.

Pretty much every other team in the league regards him with envy. Why don’t we see that?

As far as unreasonable contracts, let’s let negotiations play out. Players today understand the reality of the cap, and that if they take all the money they’ll have a poorer chance of winning. Both parties will come up with a fair figure.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Mad Habber says:

Burke won’t make offer sheets…

• RGM says:

Why would you wish that on him?

And keep in mind, just because a team sends an offer sheet, it means nothing unless the player actually signs it.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

“For a Quebec resident….”

The list dwindles.

52. otter649 says:

I forgot what did Pierre McGuire do when some of his Hartford Whalers team got busted for drinking with an underaged Christopher Pronger in Buffalo – Were there are any suspensions ?

53. frontenac1 says:

I seem to recall something about Ak46 and a few other guys partying with Mobsters and hookers in Mtl.Anybody else recall this?

54. JohnBellyful says:

It pays to have good sources ($60 a month for a feed from Heuters):

MONTREAL – Word that a dark horse has entered the Montreal Canadiens GM sweepstakes has unleashed a torrent of abusive tweets from Boston and environs.
    The Canadiens moved quickly to douse the rumour – “dousing was too good for the twitterers,” a team spokesman said ominously – by issuing a statement saying the team’s search committee “continues to plow a wide field.”
    Speculation is growing that the NHL club may reach outside the sport to find someone to replace Pierre Gauthier.
    “Replacing Gauthier isn’t the problem – I filled in for a few days last week and I’m on the schedule for next Monday – it’s finding someone who knows what he’s doing,” said the team spokesman, who asked not to be identified as he just moved and he would prefer his new neighbours not know what he does for a living until the team starts winning again.
    “Like everybody else, I’ve seen the names tossed around who will be Montreal’s next GM and I el-oh-el – laugh out loud – because the rumours are so far off the mark,” said the red-headed, six-foot-four, one-armed spokesman.
    Pressed for a hint as to who was the unconventional choice the Canadiens were considering, the two-beer-and-it’s-loose-lips spokesman offered a clue: “Conrad Black.”
    Baron Black of Crossharbour, AKA Disgraced Newspaper Baron, is expected to be released this week from a federal correctional complex in Florida after serving 42 months behind bars. He was convicted of one count of obstruction of justice and three counts of fraud in 2007.
    “We’re full of second chances in this business,” said the spokesman before slumping to the floor in an inebriated state.
    Black would be an intriguing choice for the Canadiens as his presence could give the club a gravitas it has lacked since legendary captain Jean Beliveau retired in 1971.
    Le Gros Bile, as Black is affectionately known throughout the civilized world, certainly has demonstrated a capacity for building an empire and dominating an industry, an achievement Montreal would dearly love to see him duplicate in the world of hockey.
    His lack of knowledge about hockey – which is only an assumption at this point – is seen as a deficiency only in the short-term, given the swiftness Black has shown in the past to mastering any subject he thought worthy of attention by his great mind.
    It’s not known if Black speaks French – this reporter was too lazy to find the answer on Google – but that might not be a problem in any event, given the high regard Quebeckers still hold for the former owner of the Sherbrooke Record.
    “He speaks Baroque,” interjected the spokesman as he stumbled off to the washroom.
    If named the GM of the Canadiens, Black would quickly put his stamp on a club in search of an identity. With Black’s history of animosity toward Liberals, grit might still be an issue with the team but it would not lack for aggression and going on the offensive.
    Right wing would likely become a team strength.
    Paradoxically, if there is a downside to Black to assuming the helm, it’s his ability to communicate. He does it too well. Gauthier did it badly and it got him fired.
    Already, members of the sports media are giving voice to a dread of having to cover Black’s press conferences.
    “They’ll go on for hours, and I’ll have to keep flipping through the dictionary on my smartphone trying to keep up,” said one veteran sports writer, before stumbling off to the washroom.

• Un Canadien errant says:

John, tried for fifteen minutes to come up with a witty rejoinder, but words are failing me. So, ah, good one. Props.

Actually, a touch disappointed you didn’t weave in Omar Khadr somehow.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

The sad thing is that many here would rather have Sir Black (did he ever become a knight) than Pierre McGuire.

Just saying…….

• habstrinifan says:

I cant edit for some reason so I guess in the interest of full disclosure I should confess that I have the hots for Barbara Amiel. I have often fanatasized of her playing Emma Peel to my Mr Steed. But back to hockey matters.

55. Exit716 says:

Typical Toronto-centric crap coming from Kypreos. The Habs will sign Price well before July 1. It will be one of the first moves for the new GM.

• commandant says:

I’m still waiting for the offer sheets that were sure to steal Stamkos from the Bolts, and Doughty from the Kings.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t see how Kypreos contradicts that statement. I think he just stated the obvious, I only rolled my eyes at the statement that if Price doesn’t like who the organization chooses then it could affect their chances at retaining him.

Also I think Kypreos does most of his analysis on Western Conference, I don’t think he’s really Toronto-centric. I think some fans need to develop thicker skin, you seem so offended if someone who doesn’t write for the Gazette writes anything about the Habs.

56. commandant says:

I would have to think that whatever AK and Radulov did its something worse than the mere “breaking curfew” to be suspended by the team for a must win game.

Really if they just broke curfew you’d think the team would fine them and be done with it.

So there is something more to the story than what we’ve heard so far (from confirmed sources).

What that is… lots of rumors, little facts.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well commandant, you’re answering your own question. It’s not a mere breaking curfew, as in being five minutes late. These guys completely obliterated the curfew, or broke it so often despite warnings that the coaches had no alternative but to suspend them. If it had been a minor misunderstanding/first offence kind of thing, you’re quite right that the punishment would have fit the crime, maybe a small fine as you suggested.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• commandant says:

I heard the latest incident was also the night before a 5pm game.

Was it just that? Or was there more to it? Alcohol? Hangovers? etc… who knows.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There is no need for more to it. It’s as unacceptable in a sense as if a surgeon did this or a pilot. You need to manage your life so that you can perform when you’re being counted on. You know when you will be required to be sharp and at the top of your game.

When I pulled this crap as a kid, it was all good fun. Sometimes we’d do this for a whole long weekend on a rugby tour, but the important thing is that this was the expected behaviour. I certainly wasn’t breaking team rules when I crawled out of a tent at Saranac Lake with no memory of how I got there, with a sprained ankle on top of things, and no memory of how that occurred either. All the coach said was: “You’re playing anyway.” We didn’t have anyone else that could contribute my brand of inexperienced, brickhanded but physical rugby, apparently. A great tape job and five or six games over two days later, my ankle felt as good as new.

Problem AK has to understand is that he’s being paid far more than the pilot and the surgeon to be a world class athlete, not a functional alcoholic like we were on those weekends.

Of course, he just ensured that he will not be overpaid to a degree that’s out of proportion next season. He’s served as his own compensation limits advocate. He will be providing his own brand of uninspired, underwhelming hockey at a nice discount somewhere else than Nashville or Montreal.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Rugger says:

Saranac is a great tourney to forget how you got there. By the way our Rugby team played a Canadian team last week, the Frederickton Loyalists. They kicked our American behinds 41-20. Good fun though – I am told we won the post game event.

It’s way too early to judge but this situation in Nashville could be the undoing of the franchise. Much worse than the ill-fated Peter Forsberg trade in 2007.

By July 1st, AK46, Radulov, Suter, a 1st rounder, two 2nds and Gaustad could all be gone from the Nashville landscape with Shea Weber sitting at the train station with his bags packed.

What a mess. Poile and Trotz don’t deserve this crap after all the years of hard work they have put into the franchise.

• Say Ash says:

Hal “Mr. T” Gill done, too.

• shiram says:

At least they’ll still have the highest cap hit goalie in the league.

• punkster says:

Not possible 24. Sh*t like this only happens in Montreal. Nowhere else, just Montreal.

It’s a fact ’cause I read it on HI/O.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

One would have to think, given their intelligence and experience, that neither Poile nor Trotz will sit back and watch (as you say) the undoing of the franchise.
      I think that’s a little extreme.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually, I wrote something similar back when they traded for AK, Gill and Gaustad, assuming they wouldn’t be good enough to beat Detroit. It was Forsberg Mk II.

I was wrong, but things are still looking bad. They can still turn it around however. Maybe benching those two will even help, although for a team with a weak offence to bench it’s #1 and #2 scorer is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

They got to the playoffs without those 2 though.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed. But they were fairly securely in 4th place and challenging for first overall at the time of the trade.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

If you believe in those things, word is AK and Radulov are disruptive in the locker room…

• HabFanSince72 says:

Disruptive?

Not cancerous?

Or even pre-cancerous?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

And here is the quote:

“Montreal’s just a different world,” Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. “When we got Sergei, I heard nothing but Sergei — he couldn’t do this, he couldn’t do that. … He’s not going to help you. They’re wrong and we’re right. Sergei was one of the best things. We virtually gave up nothing and got a first-line left winger. Nothing wrong with that.

“He’s a good player. I expect the same from Andrei. What I know is he’s a terrific talent and he can play. We’ll make sure our group is on top of that.”

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

59. Dr.Rex says:

I wonder how many interviews Jacques Martin got? LOL

60. frontenac1 says:

Wasn’t it AK 46 and Hammer who used to party with sketchy people in Mtl?

61. disgustedhabsfan says:

Big Tits is not Russian. He’s from Belarus.

62. mrhabby says:

why do i get the feeling that mcquire will be picked as the next GM…a gut feeling.

• Dr.Rex says:

FOr us McGuire naysayers it will be more of a punch to the gut then a shock. The worst part about it is a year from now everyone will be saying how he was a horrible choice and we will be here discussing the possible candidates for the next GM search. Only problem is those who got snuffed this time wont be as interested next summer.

• D Mex says:

All legitimate concerns. I am among those who view right now as THE opportunity for the Habs to hit the ‘ reload ‘ button and, hopefully, get it right this time.
        I tell myself to have faith in Savard’s process but am unable to view Pierre McGuire as part of anything along those lines, not in a leadership role, and certainly not in the long term.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• VancouverHab says:

Yep — I’ll be physically ill, and then I’ll be clinially depressed.

If the England national team can avoid picking Redknapp and make an intelligent alternative choice for manager, I do hope the Habs can bypass McGuire.

McGuire-Roy = Houle-Trembley.

63. The Cat says:

Teams should tell their russian players that theres vodka inside the whole Cup, maybe then theyd want to win it. I kid I kid. Im part irish so Im allowed to say such things.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember how certain Barry No-Neck Trotz was that he could turn AK around? He gave us a bit of a shot after the trade, suggesting that he would get the best out of AK46 but that the Habs were too rigid or arrogant to properly nurture a talented player.

But don’t worry, he said, I’m Barry Trotz, I get the best out of players.

Schadenfreude tastes good don’t it?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Dr.Rex says:

HE should probably spend more time on cardio then trying to rebuild AK46.

• smiler2729 says:

The guy had a serious neck injury that ended his hockey career…

Just sayin’

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

65. PeterD says:

Kostityin and Radulov…who needs them.
    Bad actors who will be playing in the KHL next season.

I am so fed up with all the hype the moody Russian players get in the NHL…Semin, Ovechkin, Radulov, Kostitsyn, Malkin (when Crosby is on the ice), Kovalchuk, and on and on…).

For me I hope the Habs draft Forsberg out of Sweden this June.

We don’t need a “play when they want” moody Russian draft pick going forward…we need a competetor like Forsberg.

66. Dr.Rex says:

The following is a list of of potential candidates that I TRUST the most managing my beloved habs.

1. Paul Fenton
    2. Marc Bergevin
    3. Doug Wilson
    4. Julien Brisebois
    5. Dale Tallon

784. Earl Jones
    785. Pierre McGuire
    786. CEO of Bre-X

67. D Mex says:

Today’s Bleacher Reports just in : I usually take a quick look before filing and forgetting. Scary article today, tho, has the GM search down to 2 candidates, those being Bergevin and McGuire.

The article suggests Bergevin is not commenting publicly in consideration of the Habs and their process, the sound of which I can relate to.

On the other hand, the mere suggestion that McGuire’s name is still out there at this point in the process is more than bothersome to me. I can’t help but feel that his entire persona is far better suited to a feature role in a kiddy comic strip. Uggh !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Who are the top two scorers for the Nashville Predators in the 2012 playoffs?

1. Alexander Radulov
    2. Andrei Kostitsyn

Also they are both in the black on the plus/minus scale.

I love how everyone assumes that the Russians are to blame here while the sobre-minded Anglo-Saxons David Poile and Barry Trotz are in the right.

Maybe Poile and Trotz are making the mistake.

I just know if Barry Trotz was called – say – Jacques Martin and David Poile was called – Oh I don’t know – Pierre Gauthier, H I/O would have a different view of the situation.

Fine. The Preds will lose and both players will be available cheap.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

It’s a very interesting decision they took, on players they might not even retain, in a crucial time in the playoffs. It says alot about the management’s commitment to the rules.
      It could cost them the series, and if not it could ensure AK and Radulov do not want to re-sign there.

• The Cat says:

You could be right, Id like to know what they did before saying anything. You got to imagine its pretty bad considering Nashville probably want the outside hockey world to know that getting Radulov wasnt a mistake.

• shiram says:

It’s said they were out on the town upt to 5am on a game day.
        The game was at 5pm.

• The Cat says:

Where do these guys get the energy to get drunk til 5am? I pass out at around 9:30 after 4 Heinekens.

• shiram says:

I’m guessing you are not a pro sports athlete?

• The Cat says:

So pro athletes have a high tolerance for booze? Maybe it wasnt just booze…

• D Mex says:

Might be a safe guess, I don’t know.
            What I do know is that the behaviour suggested doesn’t have a professional ring to it – by any stretch …

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• shiram says:

Youth, health and great physical condition can definately help staying up late enjoying the night life, yes.

• D Mex says:

True, but neither did much for Radulov’s prowess on the back check in the first 2 games of the series.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• The Cat says:

Touche!

• Hobie Hansen says:

So when Radulov and Kostitsyn stumble through the hotel lobby drunk at 4AM Polie and Trotz might be the ones to blame? Interesting concept.

• HabFanSince72 says:

None of us know what happened.

You’re assuming the bad Russkies are in the wrong.

They may well be but my point is we don’t know.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think there have been plenty of Canadian hockey players that have stayed out late too.

But these two Russian bastards are guilty as hell no doubt about it!

• JUST ME says:

Don`t know what they did but it must be unacceptable for them to suspend two players and (almost) giving up on the playoffs. Players are nor being paid during playoffs so who are they punishing really ?

Money made during the playoffs is a big big plus for a market like Nashville .For them to make this choice things must be pretty bad.

Did not have a good feeling when they announced that Radulov was joining the team. Nothing againt the guy but he is no messiah. For him to join the club at a crucial time and somehow change the chemestry in the locker room is risky.

As for A.K. just do not know what to say.
          Expect those two guys to move iafter the season is done.

• habsfan0 says:

Does Phoenix have a night life?

69. habfan53 says:

Radulov and AK Somethings NEVER change

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

70. ponyboy says:

My bad, I meant Phoenix. Way too tired and mixed up the series! Yes Phoenix.

71. ponyboy says:

Obviously the nightlife in STL was something to explore. Poor AK, hard to change his ways I guess. I’m thinking Radulov is getting him ready for the KHL. ;)