Liveblog: Canadiens lose 3-1 to Carolina; winless at the Bell Centre in preseason

The Canadiens’ power play, with Andrei Markov running it, went 0-for-8, including a wasted 5-on-3.

Carolina outhit the Canadiens 34-24.

Bournival and Daniel Brière each had six shots on goal.

In addition to their 42 shots on Khudobin, the Canadiens missed the net 17 times and 12 shots were blocked.

Corresponding numbers for Carolina were 27-7-10.

The Canadiens play host to the New Jersey Devils Monday night, by which time the training camp roster should be down to something approximating the lineup we’ll see opening night.

No cuts announed Saturday night, though.

The takeaway is two players who will be hard to cut: Bournival and Jarred Tinordi.

1. Bill says:

I’m officially bored with the pre-season. I can’t believe how long it is.

2. Feraco says:

For what it’s worth I like the build of the team. Going forward a lot of these prospects are respectable players. I’m interested to see Hamilton…they should be improved

3. slapshot777 says:

How many post have we hit tonight, ten!!!!

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

4. Harditya says:

Four posts.. holy..

5. Sportfan says:

I wonder if Bournival will have a spot on team off the bat?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. Bozo McBozo says:

Is it me, or is Price not the power forward we’d hope we drafted?

7. ABHabsfan says:

Habs are doing a good job of making all the other teams think their PP is shite. Good plan, play possum. Good plan

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

8. thebonscott says:

Fournival!!!!!!!!

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

9. durocher says:

Dear Tinordi and Bournival, find apartments in Montreal.
    Sincerely,
    MB

10. Propwash says:

Man, Bournival is getting there eh?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

11. Feraco says:

Price closes the wickets

12. Harditya says:

BOURNIVAL… man this kid is earning a spot. He’s more welcome over Ryan White and Moen anyday..

13. Danno says:

Bournival can’t be ignored

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

14. Propwash says:

Is Halak using someone else’s jersey? ;)

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

15. thebonscott says:

Love it when price stones other teams like this and steals the game…………..oh wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

16. H.Upmann says:

just pot one in at least.. jeez

17. twilighthours says:

I hate myself for writing this (again), but I’d really rather Tinordi be our 6th D than Murray.

18. danhabsfan says:

I realize it’s only a preseason meaningless game, but I don’t sense any desire from this Habs lineup. All I’m already tired of Price bashers on here. No goalie can stop every shot for an entire season… But that seems to be what you want. It’s unrealistic!
    Let’s watch the season play out. We are in a tough Davison/conference, or whatever they call it now. And the Habs did not really improve much, compared to the other teams in the division. It will be a tough season.

19. thebonscott says:

Holy crap I love tinordi

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

20. durocher says:

Textbook hit, beautiful play by Tinordi, maybe the lone brightspot from tonight so far

21. 25Stanleycups says:

Didn’t watch last nights game, nor tonights. Don’t care if its the preseason, or this past postseason, dont care how many regular players are in the lineup, how many power plays we’ve had or given up, or shot advantage or deficit we have.

As long as Carey Price continues to be the number one goalie in Montreal I will have no confidence in any substantial results for this organization. And thats not to say I don’t like him, nor think hes a bad goalie. But this organization reared him incorrectly from the get go, and baring a lobotomy, hes going to be damaged goods in Montreal for the remainder of his term.

Possibly even another Thibault. The expectations being traded for Roy, no one could i’m sure even empathize.

For Carey’s sake, Hab fans sakes, and my sake, hopefully he leaves sooner rather than later.

22. Propwash says:

Tiny layeth the smacketh down!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. Harditya says:

TINORDI! Oh man, him, Subban and Emelin together.. Keep your head up!

24. thebonscott says:

Happy khudobin is no longer a bruin

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

25. durocher says:

When are the next round of cuts scheduled?

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Impact, Als, and barf, da Habs tonight

…I shouldn’t have got up out of bed this morning

27. Propwash says:

Gaah!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

28. Rad says:

OK, I’ve seen enough. Don’t need to watch the 3rd Period after all.

29. durocher says:

Diaz not making a case for himself this preseason, especially if we’re supposed to excuse his soft play because of his offensive abilities.

30. habstrinifan says:

Hope we tape this game. And show it to the veterans in the lineup over and over.

31. Sportfan says:

Good thing its pre season or people might over react….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in defense of Carey; He’s still trying to find His legs post-honeymoon

33. Mavid says:

I guess they did not like the ass kicking they received last night..

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

34. Un Canadien errant says:

I wonder if a guy like P.K. Subban might be of help on the powerplay tonight.

35. haballmylife says:

Think we need another DMan that offers a great point shot. Subban alone isn’t enough if he’s not there some nights

36. SensFanSpezza says:

I heard the Habs signed Briere. When does he get to Montreal?

37. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Here’s a comment… I cannot believe the CBC is shovelling the Leafs game into Montreal,

• JayK-47 says:

Really?

What I would say is: “I cannot believe the CBC continues to shovel Leaf crap into Montreal even though we’ve had to put up with their idiot panel of homers for the last 5 years on top of 30+ years of the King Homer and his chattering ass puppet buddy.”

EDIT: I didn’t mean any of that as a slight against you. I have a sinus cold and hate the CBC.

38. B says:

Tinordi and Pateryn on the ice for all 3 goals against so far.

–Go Habs Go!–

39. H.Upmann says:

Alright drive for 300

40. Nina76 says:

Where are the Habs of last nite,same old same old…………..Where is the super guy Briere????????? Give me PK anytime plus Budaji……..Price has some work to do………..Eller is horrible

41. habstrinifan says:

I disagree with the comments criticising Tinordi’s hit on the 2nd Carolina goal. Tinordi, in my humble opinion, did not ‘take himself’ out of position on the hit. It was a good open ince hit which ‘inapicatated the puck carrier’ and the puck came free and Pateyrn picked it up with lots of time and with ample room. Pateyrn made an error. Unfortunately for him, all eyes were on him.

42. habs1992 says:

Not one player has had a good night tonight, except me. going to get some ladies at the bars, have a good night.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

43. habs001 says:

PK stands out when he plays..Crosby stands out when he plays..Price just looks like the next 15 goalies once you elliminate the top 5 or 6 in the league…Nothing wrong with that but right now that is what Price is…

• Nina76 says:

habs001…I agree with you 100% Price needs lots of grooming

• Harditya says:

He’s not a top 5 goaltender at the moment. Coming from a “Pricebot”. Is that the name of a Price fan? But yeah he’s not even close. I hope, like many other here, that he FINALLY dominates the **** out of the post-season if the Habs do make it. Because I would happily bash any person that comments Price is not elite. While he’s not, there’s no need to debate. He’s 26 now, it’s not about potential anymore, it’s about results.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Exactly. I hate watching Price. I admit that. But I want him to succeed and I want people like me to be proven completely and absolutely wrong. I want the habs goalies to be elite, and Price is that goalie. It’s no use debating it, or bemoaning it.
        The games will be played and we’ll see if the thoroughbred is a champion or a nice guy with skinny ankles.
        There’s no debate, and the attempts are old and tiresome. Words don’t matter in this one – I think all the posters here know what is on the table. It’ll play out on the ice.

Tonight, the guy is practicing in a warm up game that’s somehow on TV.

44. habs-hampton says:

Prediction… tinordi never sees Hamilton again.

45. twilighthours says:

I have vivid memories of that 1995-96 season, specifically when Mario Tremblay was hired. I remember thinking “what? No….”

Turns out I was right on that one.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was more despondent about Réjean Houle being the GM. There was at least the chance that Mario’s NHL experience and passionate approach could work. Réjean’s uninspiring personality was only one problem with his nomination.

46. slapshot777 says:

I guess lining up square for the faceoff is not called anymore. If Stall had anymore of and angle on Pleks he could have lined up next to him. He was almost facing the linseman with the puck was dropped

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

47. savethepuck says:

Price sucks. How come he can’t stop that puck that was going 4 feet wide and went off of Patteryn. He should of been able to see that coming.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

48. habs1992 says:

Im afraid it might be a long year. SIGH……………..

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK!!!!

50. twilighthours says:

The officials are the show tonight.

Somehow, the league actually thinks calling everything now, will change how players play later in the season when nothing is called. Sound logic…….

51. Bill says:

Dude, if I understand your post – and I am not sure I do, because you certainly don’t make that easy – you are saying that Price sucks and we are stupid? I am surprised to hear such sentiments from you.

52. Bozo McBozo says:

Let me get this right. Preseason games, before an 82-game season to eliminate half of the real hockey teams and the Leafs, followed by playoffs that go into June. Forgive me if I don’t give a rat’s ass damn about tonight’s result!

53. durocher says:

Price looking pretty ordinary. I’m looking forward to Fucale being ready for the big show.

54. habstrinifan says:

It’s upsetting a veteran or two has not stamped his mark on this game. This is the sort of game that people who wear the A’s should have gotten more involved.

55. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I guess they asked the guys to set up some penalty kill practice?

Poor Pateryn on that one. Crappy thing to happen when you’re trying to make a team.

56. danhabsfan says:

How did Pateryn play last night? I think based on tonight they will send him down.

57. Rad says:

Link to the game anyone? Just in time for the 3rd Period.

58. Mavid says:

I think we might need a bigger penalty box

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

59. twilighthours says:

Eller with that high-risk pass off the boards, then takes his 2nd minor in 4 minutes. He’s still got some learnin’ to do.

60. I just started watching with about 6 minutes left in the second. Has the reffing been that one-sided all game?

DDonais

Pre Season, everything gets called. I wouldn’t say it has been one sided at all. Problem is the league gets off watching how tight they call pre season, then call the first 20 games fairly tight, then slowly throw the rule book away by playoff time.

• danhabsfan says:

I like the rules being called ALL SEASON LONG. That is why they exist. The changing in calls brings the game down to a joke of a league.

• Yeah I know, right? The bush-league mentality leads people to say they don’t want the refs to decide the game. Last I checked, the game is played according to rules. They should stay the same at the beginning of the season, throughout and then into the playoffs. If you can’t keep up with another team’s speed, then you should get called for hooking/tripping/whatever, or any other legitimate penalty for that matter.

Anyway, as soon as I flipped on the TV, we took, like, four penalties in a row. I guess I just picked the wrong time to start watching.

DDonais

61. The Dude says:

That ‘s the problem with you pricebots..year after year you back an average Goalie and ridicule the realist with statement s that basically state if the D stopped all the incoming chances on Carey then we would see what a Superstar Price is…

62. Bill says:

Playing really careless. What the hell was that. Eller looks terrible tonight.

63. Propwash says:

I guess they’re gonna even out the calls.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Lots of careless plays with the puck by Habs.

65. HabFab says:

Who had the PP there?

66. Mavid says:

nice penalty kill..very nice

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

67. habstrinifan says:

Boone: PP is on the periphery.

led by Briere.. who has tried his hardest to stay away from traffic.

68. savethepuck says:

Great job killing 1:30 of 5 on 3.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

69. durocher says:

Great work on that 5-on-3, with Tinordi doing the “Gill”

70. Sportfan says:

Hab fans boo anything that relates to penalties and non penalties

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mavid says:

no Sens fans boo everything..and constantly complain about the officiating..I guess I thought we were above that..well most of us anyway

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

71. Mavid says:

that was clearly an elbow to the head..I guess the just automatically boo at every call..if Price does not get us out of this he should be gone..

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

72. Propwash says:

Oh hey, let’s spend the rest of the game in the box!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

73. twilighthours says:

This Khudobin also played well against us when he was a Bruin, if memory serves.

74. Bozo McBozo says:

If Reimer were a Colombian soccer player, he’d be in danger of being shot!

• Mark C says:

Speaking of this subject. After a discussion this week with a Brazilian coworker, I am now fearful for Brazilian soccer players if they lose the World Cup…and I thought Habs fans were bad.

• Bozo McBozo says:

On no, you are absolutely spot on! I don’t know what the “drop-dead” date is, but there has been some serious talk about moving the next World Cup to another venue, perhaps the US or Europe. The biggest problem that the team has is that they are an unusually weak side for Brazil.