Liveblog: Playoff hopes flicker

Bourque

Carey Price’s teammates blocked more shots than he did.

And now the Canadiens play a back-to-back on the road.

The worst power-play in the league was putrid again.

But Rene Bourque won the retribution fight.

1,036 Comments

1. joe-hab-nuno says:

Ian this is for you. I started a job where I drive to Belleville week day. If I remember correctly you’re from there. So if you ever want something from Montreal let me know. I usually make my stop where the chapters is on bell blvd. contact me through my email of you need something.

2. Corson27 says:

If this team was a Horse I would have to shoot it. Too many here still looking through those rose colored glasses.
    This squad is pathetic.

3. Mattyleg says:

(insert player here) is TERRIBLE! Why is he on the ice?!
    I’m tired of saying that (player) is useless at (insert position/special team) and nobody will listen to me!
    (insert useless guarantee/ultimatum/demand here)

Always giggles with you guys.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. habs-fan-84 says:

lol PK is in “do it yourself” mode. At least he got a chance out of it.

5. timothy13 says:

I do not understand why Carey Price is played as often as he is?! With such a terrible GA, L streak, and too cool attitude, give him, er, one, two, three games away from the net. Please. The Habs when Halak was around often played with more confidence and could actually win but then Price would be put in again and the team scored another stinker 60 minutes and lost two points. This season is done and Mr. Molson you appear to not care about this team and allow the GM and coach to run the Habs into the ground with bad decision after bad decision as fans turn off the game and others find better ways to waste their evenings. Sad. Disappointed. Meaningless.

6. Habbu says:

We might get something good for Pleks….he stinks

7. sreuel says:

TSN has shown a list of GM’s who would be considered if they fire PG in the summer and JM is on it as he is still owed $3 million. Also it was said Gill will be dealt at trade deadline

8. topher5468 says:

Someone please remove Pleks head from his arse

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

9. Barts says:

Weber is ABSOLUTE crap. What a waste of a roster spot.

10. smiler2729 says:

Pleks offside…
    yeah, he rocks.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

11. habs-fan-84 says:

I am not one of those ref conspiracy folks, but again, that was yet another bad call.

12. habsfaninboston says:

How is that a penalty?

13. slychard says:

PP, PK takes a shot…ends up on Pluto!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

14. RockinRey says:

Nice backcheck by Pac.

15. hablifting says:

Thank you PG and BG for giving us this joke of a squad. Can’t fault the players they are trying. Fire everyone who was involved with building this team.

16. kmachabs27 says:

THIS TEAM IS GARBAGGEEEE

17. CHicoHab says:

Gomez hasn’t scored since gas was $1.05 a litre!! Why is he out there??

“take your time and hurry up”

18. mb says:

They better score at least one in 6 minutes of PP. If they don’t… Ugh.

19. RockinRey says:

Can you say Anemic?

20. smiler2729 says:

Pleks sucks
    ___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

21. Bertuzzi says:

Habs won’t score. Ho-hum.

22. HabsFanMTL says:

10 dollars say we don’t scare on this PP

23. Kimberly2u says:

They could have a 20 minute power play and still not score

1st PP unit started playing a good game of keep away… from Gomez.

25. Mavid says:

MikeD…+100…no make that +10000

26. WindsorHab-10 says:

Gomez has been our best player tonight.

27. Habbu says:

Remind me again why they didn’t like Halpern.

28. habs-fan-84 says:

Well, I’ll say it:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Mattyleg says:

Good evening everyone.
    You think your evening is going badly watching this?

I left work and walked to McGill Metro station. My metro ride home usually takes 15-20mins. At Berri, they said that something had happened, and everyone had to leave the station.

I walked out into the cold and waited for a bus that came and didn’t stop because it was full. I walked around and waited for busses (all full) for 1.5 hours. Then I went for a beer.

I came out and finally caught a bus, and realized that half of my cards had fallen out of my wallet as I’d got on. I had to walk back to the original stop to fish them out of a snowbank.

I got a $12 taxi home, only to find that I had to move my car for ploughing. The car was frozen in place. I had to dig the car out. It’s now 7:30, and I haven’t eaten since noon. Car finally comes free, re-park it, come inside, and there’s no food.

I order food, have a fight with the g/f, Caps score 3 goals.

How was your evening?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. HabsFanMTL says:

i say give Michel Therrien another chance behind the bench. He gained a lot more experience with the pens………He’s a much better coach today than he was all those years ago as a rookie coach

31. Habbu says:

It looks like every single Hab is playing injured?

32. smiler2729 says:

Price for Giroux, that way we could lose every game 6-5

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

33. The Dude says:

How about Price and P.K. for Ryan Miller and Tyler Myers?

34. CHicoHab says:

A game like this is where you miss a guy like White to come out and ruffle some feathers/ No pulse out there…………..

“take your time and hurry up”

35. manu07 says:

I wish pk could relax a shift. Actually, everyone looks scared to make a mistake tonight. Hesitation all over the ice. I hope if Dreger’s list is accurate Pierre McG gets a shot.

36. lavie says:

My confidence on Price is officially over (nothing to do with tonight’s game). He is by far an average NHL goalie and a handsome young man.

I will change my Avatar soon.

37. RockinRey says:

Ridiculous! The panel has said JM is a possible name bandied about as PG successor. Get serious.

Bring in Pierre McGuire.

38. Habbu says:

Ok so do we let PG hang around to direct the fire sale? No way I say. Let him be the first discard, hire someone new to handle the demolition.

39. smiler2729 says:

Dreger says the GM candidates are:
    JM
    Lise Payette
    The Jimmy Dogs
    the slut I kissed in the Peel Pub on DeMaisonneuve in the summer of ’87

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

40. Mondou6 says:

Well, I’ll never be able to tell my non-existant grandkids that I witnessed the amazing 4 goal 3rd period that propelled us to the Cup, but I’m off to bed.

‘night, fellow masochists.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

All goalies have bad nights. Price actually has fewer than most. I don’t remember the last time he was pulled from a game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• deuce6 says:

He knew what this game meant to us..He didn’t show up when it meant the most..Simple..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

42. ffenliv says:

Half of TSN’s ‘could be’ GM candidates for the Habs, maybe even more than half, makes me want to hurl.

43. montreal ace says:

This is worse then being in a car that wont start, up north in the middle of winter, and nobody around

• HardHabits says:

You’ve got to be joking. I feel like I am basking in the sun on a nice beach with a piña colada in one hand and cerveza in the other with a beautiful dark skinned honey sitting in the folding chair beside me as part of the beautiful vista.

44. lavie says:

Feels like JM’s still on the bench.

45. smiler2729 says:

And Lord Dreger speaks!

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

46. AliHaba says:

Well if the game was over I could understand all the whining but there’s still 20 minutes left.

• Trisomy 21 says:

You must be a new fan.
      Habs might be the worst 3rd period team in the league. And the Habs have gone a week without being shut out. They’re due for another.

• AliHaba says:

I was a fan in ’73 when the Habs came back from a 5-1 deficit to beat the Bruins

• Trisomy 21 says:

Lol yeah when they were a dynasty. I’ve heard many stories about that team. I was a fan in ’08 when they came back from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Rangers. But that team had some swag. These guys look like corpses

• HardHabits says:

Hello. All those players are retired. Get with the program. It’s 2012. This isn’t even the team that came back from 5-0 against the Rangers. Ryder was on that team. We are talking this season. This season’s team has the worst 3rd period record. They have lost 15 games in which they had the lead. That is like 70% of their losses if you include OTL’s.

C’mon. You are the type of fan that get’s suckered by these charlatan owners. I love the Habs. Started watching them in 1973 too. Remember the pocket Rocket hoisting the Cup. I saw Clarke dance around the net as I was (gasp) rooting for the Bruins. I hated Clarke and his wretched Flyers. I remember the Flyers and Sabres skating around the ice trying to clear the fog.

I also remember Robinson smoking Schultz. I was there for the too many men penalty live watching it.

The Habs are not putting together a championship team. They have never tried to build a contender opting rather for a play-off team.

If you believe, “anything can happen once you make the play-offs,” remind me never to respond to you again and please never mention my name or reply to me either.

• Kooch7800 says:

there is some optimism. This game is done

• deuce6 says:

An OT win does crap..We need to score 4 goals on the Caps in one period when we could only muster 14 shots on them…This game was HUGE, but our best players decided not to show up, yet again..Our best forward has been Gomez..Says a lot, eh?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

47. habsolutely416 says:

plekanec and AK floating again. dmen have to learn how to get the point shots through. these guys dont seem to get any second or third chances. no heart at all.

ill be in the slot ;)

48. MacHabFan says:

D-Men lack skating, puck carrying, leading the charge and driving the transition game. Maybe Markov is taking longer to come back because he is being cloned. We can only hope.

We know this year is done.

Look forward to next year and seeing more change for the better and bigger.

49. smiler2729 says:

Hey the TSN panel morons are cutting up Gomez and Price!
    They can’t do that!
    Only we can do that!

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

50. BLACK ICE says:

The vultures are picking apart Price’s carcass tonight. No wonder no player worth his salts would come near Montreal to play for this team.

Trading Carey would be the best thing for him.

51. AnimalMother says:

This is so depressing to watch. I’m not sure I can even complain anymore. I just need to turn this shit off.

52. Habbu says:

It seems like I have been asking myself the same question over and over for the last decade…”Why can’t anyone on this team put the puck in the gd net?”

53. deuce6 says:

This team simply doesn’t want anything to do with playoff hockey..Why not get an early start on golf season?

We don’t win this game in regulation, which is highly unlikely, can we PLEASE start the off season dumping of salaries? Thanks..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

54. habs-fan-84 says:

unbelievable, we score 4 on King Henry (he admittedly had an off game but still) and yet we can’t score on Neuvirth. COME ON!

I can summarize the 1st two periods in two words; Price sucked.

56. RockinRey says:

And the Boos rain down!!!

TSN panel is about discuss possible replacements for PG and dissect first two periods. I am really curious if it is the same retreads as possible PG successor.

57. Adidess says:

Oh God, football season is ending, I hate baseball, the NBA is pretty much unwatchable until the playoffs. What a long season this will be!?
    Maybe this is the year i show my wife I can do something other than sitting on the couch after work. I might even be able to hear what she’s saying. She deserves better…

58. bighabber says:

We obviously have a lot of issues with this team but Subban isn’t one of them.

59. joe-hab-nuno says:

60. Bertuzzi says:

I don’t even want to see Gomez play great hockey now. Where were you when it mattered?

61. Kooch7800 says:

gomez has put in a strong effort so far. More than I can say for half of this team.

62. Propwash says:

So, Price has a bad night, and the wultures swoop.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• HardHabits says:

This has been one long night. Like winter above the Arctic Circle.

• deuce6 says:

He’s had a bad year…He hasn’t lived up to expectations, IMO..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Kooch7800 says:

he was good in the beginning but he also has some pretty pathetic D in front of him.

• habs-fan-84 says:

a bad year lol
        seen the defense in front of him this year?
        *rolls eyes*

tonight, sure Price has NOT been great, I’ll give you that, but at the end of the day Price and Subban (I recognize you didn’t say anything about Subban, speaking more generally here) are the least of our problems!

..hint hint, check the scoreboard.

• deuce6 says:

LOL..Back off, get your own sandwich..I am a big Price fan, but are you gonna sit there and BS your way in telling me he is having a great or even good year? The kid is having a bad season, it happens..I expected him to be up there, in at least, the top 3-5 range in goalie stats..He is middle of the pack..BAD YEAR..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

63. twilighthours says:

The rangers must have had a really off-night on Sunday.

64. Mondou6 says:

If you’re paying big bucks for good seats, how many of these types of games can you possibly sit through?

65. RockinRey says:

Holy *&^5 !!! Still a period to go! This is painful.

66. EricInStL says:

Wife is hogging the TV and watching American Idiot…ooops Idol. So I’am reading the comments, this is way better than watching the game live. I am imagining how bad it really is…

Imagination is a great thing

Might be on to something.

67. CHicoHab says:

why would Cole just shoot it up high to the catching glove?No chance for a rebound with Desharnais right in front of him.

“take your time and hurry up”

68. smiler2729 says:

Bourque’s goalpost?

Cammy would’ve scored that in ’10,
    pulled his groin shooting last year,
    and missed the net this year…

Boring hockey sucks.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

69. slychard says:

Awwww Jezzzz!!!!!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

70. habber86 says:

so that’s what glove saves look like…

71. RetroMikey says:

What’s the difference between a cigarette machine and our Montreal Canadiens?

………………a cigarette machine has players…..ouch that hurts.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

72. immortalhab says:

End the franchise and turn the Forum into a mausoleum for our triumphant history. There is no good memory left for the young and the longer we drag this out, the more it dilutes the team’s grandeur. Start a new franchise. Call it the Mtl Unpredictables.