Liveblog: Playoff hopes flicker

Bourque

Carey Price’s teammates blocked more shots than he did.

And now the Canadiens play a back-to-back on the road.

The worst power-play in the league was putrid again.

But Rene Bourque won the retribution fight.

1,036 Comments

1. homerbowen says:

Not too many Habs with skill set to score goals. This has been a decade old problem. Time for management to focus on future and move some players for prospects and/or high picks (if that’s possible). Of course closer to the trade deadline would make good sense. On defense move Gill, Kaberle and Weber. Forwards move Gomez (laugh), Darche and Nokie. These 6 must go in some shape or form.

2. naweed235 says:

well… 3 goals on 10 shots – We can pin this one on Price… Gomez the best forward on the ice… FML

3. topher5468 says:

On a positive note, Gomez playing well again. Go figure,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

4. HabsFanMTL says:

too bad they fired JM before they got Bourque, JM would have got this team better prepared for the caps. he always did

5. Gomez looking like our best forward right now lol

6. habsfan0 says:

If Carey Price doesn’t show up for the 3rd period, can we assume that PG has traded him for Jaroslav Halak?

7. JF says:

Every time we play one good game, I delude myself for a while that we’re going to turn things around and start winning. Then the next game totally sucks. I’ve had it for tonight.

8. CanadienBoy says:

AK make it hard to keep him ,got out muscle on that second goal lack drive G M should check for what he could fetch never know no more Russians please…

9. Mondou6 says:

This roster is so bad that JM’s mind-numbing system actually improved their chances.

Now that they are unleashed, they’ve gone from mediocre to just plain bad.

• Michelob says:

It’s not the players, it’s the team. All you have to do is watch the Leafs to see the difference. Say what you want about them, and I am not a fan, but year in and year out for as long as I can remember now, win or lose, the Leafs have played like they mean it and have often delivered an entertaining spectacle, even if you are only watching to see them lose. Montreal, on the other hand, year in and year out, deliver ineffectual play, a lack of commitment, no heart. Early this season, there were signs of intensity, even when they lost. This goes back way before Gainey. It’s pretty sad.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Leafs? Really?

They’re one of only two teams not to have made the playoffs since the lockout.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

10. The Dude says:

Through all this rot ,I smell a comeback! Sorry,it was my wet runners burning up on the baseboard heater….

11. slychard says:

One goal! Only one goal in this period! the game is theirs!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

12. HabsFanMTL says:

personally i like pleks as a 2 way player. but he sure as hell likes to dump the puck off to nobody a lot in the offensive zone, Wish he were more like DD and held on to the puck and skated with it and made some plays

13. sreuel says:

Need to clean house and start young big and no how to score goals

14. gumper says:

Oh, and by the way, the strategy of “Just go to the net and shoot the puck.” doesn’t seem to be working to jolt the PP to life Randy. Got any other ideas, but it really looks like nobody has any ideas what to do out there. Embarrassing.

15. montreal ace says:

Hell I feel like an idiot thinking we would win and play well

16. RiverviewCanadien says:

G-Love making all the great shots for the Habs.

Caps have a better goalie tonight.

17. gumper says:

Okay, that’s the last time this year I take one good game to be a sign of something with this team. Wake me up if they ever string together 3 Ws.

18. RockinRey says:

Lets not kid ourself this team is not very good. Sure they rise up and play over their heads from time to time. I have seen enough. Sell off Gill, Gomez, Gio , Weber, Campoli, and Moen if the price is right and restock.

People say Habs fans would never tolerate a rebuild but scratching and clawing every freakin year to make the playoffs is exhausting.

Habs have 9 shots on net! Disgusting!

• HardHabits says:

Habs fans want a rebuild. I live in Montreal. People know what is up. It’s only a few people, like that one poster who re-sell Habs memorabilia, that want the Habs to put everything into making the play-offs as the last seed.

19. topher5468 says:

It’s like we only win when the opposing goalie has a bad game, This is gonna get ugly. I wonder when Price is gonna go to desperation mode

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Silver lining: this hurts the Leafs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

21. twilighthours says:

Dear optimists: wake up.

22. RiverviewCanadien says:

If for no other reason than shaking the team up.

PULL PRICE!

23. temekuhabs says:

Actually, there is nothing in the rules about “blood” just injury,

• ffenliv says:

Heh, had no idea. Apologies for my earlier remark being wrong then. Of course, for the last goodness-knows how many years, blood = 4 minutes every time.

This was NOT a situation of the league screwing the team, the refs screwing the team, or the team (laughably) ‘never catching a break’.

24. RetroMikey says:

We are a team which has big troubles for seasons to come.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

25. RJ says:

I guess Budaj did not play well enough against the Rangers to earn a back to back start.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

26. HabsFanMTL says:

i’m not a JM fan never was, but JM knew how to coach this team against the Caps

27. smiler2729 says:

Ovenchicken is such a blowhard, Habs are pulling their mid-week disappearing act, who gets traded Friday between periods?

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

28. RockinRey says:

Pull Price and get him some rest!

29. Danno says:

Goodnight Irene.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Stick a fork in this season.

31. Kimberly2u says:

Game over…Put in Budaj

32. HabsFanMTL says:

Ty Darche, trade this guy!!!!

33. temekuhabs says:

Turn out the lights..

34. ffenliv says:

Of course, the Caps may score while I’m typing this, but if the Habs could do ANYTHING else as well as they run the PK, they’d have a playoff spot all sewn up already.

35. temekuhabs says:

So, a 4min PP, and the guy he skewered is out there??

The more Price is given a free ride by management the more his team mates will loathe him.

37. HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

So depressing to see this team go from Dominating the Rangers to this pathetic display…Cammi was right…F’n losers….

38. Ferg says:

What’s going on with Price and the fancy stickhandling every time he touches the puck. Daddy buy him a new goalie stick? Drives me crazy when goalies don’t just stop the puck. They feel the need to dick around with it and Price is one of the worst for that.

39. The Dude says:

5 hole goal cumming up!

40. Doooie86 says:

Can ‘t wait till Whitie is back and Darche moves to the pressbox, or, hopefully is put on waivers

41. Hali_Hab says:

Hey Boone post the attendance when they announce it! I am curios

42. Our attack is plain horrible.. sigh

43. Trisomy 21 says:

4 minute PK, I’m out.
    I didn’t see the replay but I bet he bit his lip!

44. mb says:

Did we trade a post-hitter for a post-hitter?

45. temekuhabs says:

Man, Kaberle is soft

46. slychard says:

wow bourque!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

At least the draft picture is getting brighter. One can only dream.

I can see it now. Trade deadline. Habs in 13th place in the East. PG makes some blockbuster trade. Whoever goes the other way goes on to win the Cup. The Habs finish 10th in the East.

FML

48. Mondou6 says:

You know the game is a snoozer when the HIO server doesn’t crash at least once.

49. Kimberly2u says:

Omg they still aren’t moving their feet..they look like the tired team that was up all night instead if being off for days

50. JasonM says:

Why does this smell like shutout?

51. The Dude says:

Where is our Superstar Blunden?

52. martin says:

Looking for a live stream? Anybody

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Benoit Brunet is spot on.

He says that when the Habs have won recently it’s been because the other team wasn’t ready. But when the other team comes to play we have no chance.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

54. Trisomy 21 says:

ZOMG PP THANK GOD

55. solomio says:

This game so far is on Carey.Despite the fact we had 2 PP opportunities without scoring neither of those 2 Caps goals should’ve beaten Carey. I just heard Brunet on RDS blaming Kots for that second goal. No way. That was a softie by Carey, on his knees for no reason.
    I still feel Habs can come back and win this game but Carey’s got to get into this game.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

56. billylove says:

Doesn’t look like Carey is in “playoff mode.”

57. immortalhab says:

Thank God Gomez is on the Powerplay again. I was really worried that not putting the most unproductive player in the world on the Pp was going to ruin our chances.

58. ed lopaz says:

Price is too deep in his crease.

He is dropping immediately to his knees on every shot.

If Caps score again, Price might be pulled tonight.

He just doesn’t have it tonight.

Again.

59. smiler2729 says:

Wednesday blahs all over the ice

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

60. Trisomy 21 says:

Habs are being scouted by 10 teams. We aren’t going to score any deals by how the team’s playing tonight. Nobody has really wowwed me, I doubt the scouts will report there’s any must haves on the team

61. OneTimer says:

Chill people, it’s only 2-0. I have a feeling the Habs will wake up.

62. AH says:

How many times does this bloody team win a game, get a couple days off, and then come out and suck???? What do they do in practices, anything????

63. habs-fan-84 says:

the comments here are hilarious… in the saddest kind of way

64. Adidess says:

Not a shock that it might take a team a few minutes to get going against a quality opponent. To allow 2 softies like that is deflating and make things that much harder.
    I like Price, but he has to fight harder. Needed to save at least one of those. Have seen him make saves 3 times tougher.
    Hope the team has a good comeback in them, if not it’s season over…

65. immortalhab says:

Don Cherry is a great role model for kids. It reminds me of the dad who called his kids sissies because they wore helmets on their dirt bikes. It reminds me of the guys on my street who have no testicles so they jack up their trucks and put bad boy logos in the back windshield.
    I hear the Bruins don’t wear seatbelts in planes. Cherry must really think theyre men.

66. habs001 says:

kabarle has looked bad on the pp…but diaz and weber are no solution either..maybe they would be good in the swiss league

67. WVHabsfan says:

These soft goals are killing us. We do not have enough fire power to start most games down by a goal or so on a regular basis. Quality goals are one thing, but not some of that ones that Carey has been giving up.

“And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”–Matthew 24:14

68. slamtherimtim says:

tsn is so GHETTO

69. CP needs to better if the Habs have any chance of making the playoffs. He hasn’t shown up and the next goal against its over. I’m done for tonight and going to bed for an early rise for work at 5 am. Hope to wake up with a better feeling than I feel right now.

• Billyboy says:

Maybe if Martin and his replacement would have figured out by now that Gomez is useless in all respects and using him on the PP is just idiotic. Also, the only time there is any action in the Washigton end
      is when the Eller line is out there. After almost 4 months of going with basicly with the same unproductive players why not try the Eller line. Eller is fast fast and a good puck carrier.

70. slychard says:

RDS. Hilarious. Brunet ready to throw talent like PK under the bus. Relax dude. Let him develop and mature. 2 more years before throwing any towel toward talents the likes of PK.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

71. habs001 says:

price has been good this year but not great…we have not given up that many shots and we have not given up more great scoring chances than most teams in the league…price has not stood out from at least another 20 starters …if you have centre ice and watch more than the habs you would see that most teams give up the same scoring chances as the habs do…price has not been spectacular like last year…

72. topher5468 says:

I’m a fan first, so i root for the guy wearing the sweater, but man, every shot I cringe thinking its gonna be a goal, I don’t get how Price can be so good but let in goals like that 2nd goal, awful.

This just in, Kaberle SUCKS, I don’t understand what all the fuss was about this guy, Nothing about him stands out as above average.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• gumper says:

Forget about trying to stir up some kind of goalie controversy, and just look at reality. I mean, Budaj was excellent against the Rangers. Not only did he look sharp, but he was moving like greased lightening and tracking the puck almost perfectly. Same can’t be said for Carey lately. Give the kid a rest, and see if Peter can string together two or three wins to get the team going. I get the feeling that Habs coaches are under direct instruction from above to play Carey at all costs. Just don’t see the sense of not going with a well-rested Budaj after Sundays’ performance.

• Dulljerk says:

It’s called not being mentally prepared for this game. Probably caused by a hangover. Or worse.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

73. stevieray says:

I’m gettin’ all rilled up partner ….2 goals ( soft…) goals…10 million a year ???…all star goalie …???..not likely …
    Price knows how important tonites game is ..he just seems to contantly let in a early goal and we end up with a uphill battle …
    What’s your thoughts !!!

74. gumper says:

For me, this is the season defining game tonight. Don’t want to be overly dramatic, but this is the team we have to catch. Six points back and you’re back in the race. Ten points back fgettaboutit. The time to make the move is right now, against the Caps.

75. lavie says:

Pierre Gauthier traded the wrong goalie!