Liveblog: A 4-1 loss, and last-place Canadiens move on to Florida

MathieuPerreault
POSTGAME AUDIO: Carey Price | Rene Bourque

The Canadiens ride their black cloud south to the Sunshine Stae.
At least they finally scored a goal against Washington, breaking a dry spell of 260:14 stretching back to last season.
The Capitals broke the game open with two goals in 16 seconds during the second period.

1,343 Comments

1. Danno says:

Bourque is mixing it up a bit.

Instead of hitting the crossbar he’s hitting the post now.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. Storm Man says:

Boone is telling good jokes now……. Habs score? not tonight

3. Clay says:

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

4. boing007 says:

Price should have stayed on the bench tonight. His workload is too heavy.

Richard R

5. habs17 says:

the habs are so bad, they thought the first to 1 wins

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

6. boing007 says:

Dump and chase, dump and chase.
    As Bob McCown said on Primetime this afternoon ‘what happened to stand up goaltenders?’

Richard R

7. The Dude says:

We need 4 goals from G-Love…

8. showey47 says:

This is almost as bad as the time the wife and i were going to bed and she said she would “set my clock”.I thought she said something else.Needless to say i went to bed disappointed.True story.

9. Storm Man says:

Thanks Geoff…… I have both middle fingers for you

10. habsfan0 says:

Buffalo Bills..sell out every game for years..haven’t made playoffs since ’99

Toronto Maple Leafs..sell out every game for years..haven’t made playoffs in 7 years..

Montreal Canadiens..sell out every game for years….

11. Rob D says:

Not to be too obtuse..but you guys actually WATCH these Habs every game? You’re better men than I! LOL..

I check in with them once every coupla weeks. Not worth the energy to keep up religiously with their every misstep and rare victory.

If they do everything right in the off-season..they are still 2-3 years away MINIMUM from being any kind of legit contender. And they haven’t done MOST things right the last decade. Hard to be optimistic when the problem stems from horrid management at every level. That’s the hardest thing to overcome.

Why PG hasn’t been fired already..before the trade deadline,,is a complete mystery. You’re letting a dead duck GM make decisions that will affect this team after he is fired? That’s classic Leaf-level dumb ass thinking right there. They remind me of Ballard era Leafs so much and I can’t think of a worse simile.

12. kerrgte says:

Memo to Pierre Gauthier:

You’re fired.

Termination package: a one way bus ticket to Gauche Vegan, Que plus a $2.00 voucher for a pair of ear muffs.

13. Clay says:

The worst moment for any atheist is when he feels grateful for something and has no-one to thank.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

14. Strummer says:

All I can say to Geoff Molson is-

“I’ll have a Labatt Blue please!”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

15. habs17 says:

The habs are so bad they thought they lost before the game started

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

16. HabFab says:

And to add insult to injury, Aebischer is shutting out the Bulldogs through 35 minutes at the Bell Centre.

17. Habsbill24 says:

The three Amigos, Theodore, Ribeiro and Dagenais were run out of town for embarrassing the team. Shouldn’t Gauthier et al be sent to the darkest corner of the earth for doing far worse by destroying 100 years of history and turning the team into a buffoon show? The man is an out of touch clown.

18. duffy says:

Lets hope many of these players never return to the Bell Centre dressing room again come Monday.

19. The remainder of the season is going to be painful. I suggest that none of us watch.

20. Strummer says:

2 good things will come from this result-

1. Habs get a better draft pick

2. Caps push the Leafs further out of the playoffs.

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

• aj says:

1. The Habs will get a 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick in the 1st round. Bye Bye Grigorenko, congrats to Edmonton.

2. By the looks of things, the Laffs might still yet make it. Washington will try to push but if Toronto gets a win or 2, they might put the Panthers out of the 8th spot.

21. l_mint says:

No wonder Cammalleri said this is a loser team, so glad he chosed to leave

22. ont fan says:

We seem to think we have a lock on bad GM’s. Wait till after the trade deadline. There will probably a bunch of them out there and maybe we will get a chance at them. I mean come on, 5 mil for a 5 goal guy.

23. l_mint says:

No wonder Cammalleri said this is a loser team, they lost before the game start

24. Captain aHab says:

If the Habs were a race horse, the handlers would be revving up the meat grinders right now.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

25. habsfaninkw says:

Time to blow this team up. Sadly, I don’t think there are any bombs like Tsar Boomba (57 megatons) left in the US or Russian arsenals. Cause that’s what it’s gonna take.

26. RGM says:

Do the Habs actually have 19 shots? Because…when?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

27. habs17 says:

“Shut up, just Shut up “You Had me at hello, you had me at Hello”

wow im in tears rite now, what a line that is

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

28. Clay says:

The trouble with political jokes is they usually get elected.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

29. aj says:

I’m hoping that after Monday, Geoff Molson should go in front of the public and announce the new GM of the Montréal Canadiens. If not after Monday, then this April will do.

My patience with this useless GM has cost the reputation of this team and this city. He must NOT come back. Also, he can bring his pal, Bob Gainey, with him.

30. FlyingFrenchie says:

Imagine people paying money to watch this…
    Getting a root canal with a drunken dentist IS A FAR BETTER
    option.

31. habsfan0 says:

I wonder what Cunneyworth is saying to his players in dressing room to inspire them for 3rd period?

32. JF says:

I can’t stand watching the Habs anymore. This team is absolutely gutless. I’m going to watch the Leafs instead. At least they play hard even when they’re terrible. In fact, I hope they make the playoffs.

33. NCRhabsfan says:

DisGUSTing!

Pleks is wearing his “please, please trade me” face. Do you think he’s even worked up a sweat?

34. VancouverHab says:

Okay, fun’s over. Can we have George Gillette back now, please?

35. Kooch7800 says:

I am starting to think we should be last place in the east. Wow, the defensive mistakes and really nothing on the offensive front

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

36. Clay says:

I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

37. arcosenate says:

I think the Habs have officially resorted to playing what will henceforth be known as “The Yakupov System”.

38. BKAK72 says:

Why do the HABS offer second line (at best) players first class contracts? Surely this roster is playing right into its potential i.e. dead last…however, the payroll is top quartile. Makes little sense to me.

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

39. FlyingFrenchie says:

Buy out Kaberle?
    Just give him a suitcase of money and hope he runs away.

40. Barts says:

In my 37 yrs of watching the Habs, this is without doubt, the worst team I have ever seen. Aside from a couple of individuals, they really are pathetic. No one can score, no one can complete a pass, no one hits. How the current management has survived this long is a testament to the lack of conviction from the Molson family. Congratulations Geoff, the greatest franchise in hockey is now a league wide joke.

41. SteverenO says:

Oy Vey!

I finally know what it means.

Steve O.
    l

42. FlyingFrenchie says:

Our only chance is distraction of the goalie with a topless stripper.

On second thought/
    That won’t work…We’ve only had 2 scoring chances.

43. Kimberly2u says:

Done watching,..had enough

44. Clay says:

A couple are lying in bed. The woman says, “I am going to make you the happiest man in the world”
    The man says, “I’ll miss you.”

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

45. Habsbill24 says:

Another gutless performance. The season has been over since about Christmas. We have one first liner: Max. One second liner: Cole. And a bunch of third liners or worse. Budaj should play every other game for the rest of the way. Forget Markov, he is finished. Fire PG before the lights are turned off after the last game Aptil 7th. We can all take six months off from hockey and just maybe by October the bad taste this season has left in all of our mouths will be gone.

46. SmartDog says:

Watching a documentary about Nostradamus.

Woah. What’s up with all this December 21, 2012 stuff?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

47. durocher says:

Embarrassing has been used to describe the Habs’ previous losses, and yet the team manages to find a new level of embarrassing play. Are there degrees of embarrassment? Yes, there are, and our 2011-12 Habs prove there are.

Someone asked me when I recommended that we buy-out Kaberle, “is he that bad?” Yes, just look at the first goal. Even if Price should have had it, Kaberle should have been prepared to play the puck in case it went to him. Instead, his stick was up, and he was not prepared. He has no compete level, and he cannot rely on his diminishing skill set to get him by. The meager PP shows just this.

I am hoping PG is active during the next few days — AK46, Moen, Campoli, and Nokia should go. Even Pleks should be on the block (for Nash? Dustin Brown?). This off-season, Gomez and Kaberle should be bought out or traded.

I have reason for optimism, with Price, Subban, Gorges, the DD line, LL, Eller, Geoffrion, and further down the road Boulieau, Tinordi, and Gallagher. But for now, it is very frustrating to watch this team and to comprehend what BG/PG did to our beloved franchise.

48. aj says:

I’m imagining right now Geoff Molson watching his team go to the gutter and getting pissed off due to the stupidity of the GM’s that f****d up this team for the past 19 years and running (Houle, Andre Savard, Gainey, and Gauthier).

I can’t blame Chris Nilan ranted and blasting out yesterday on Team990 FM about how heartless these players are. I don’t agree with him because he generalized the whole team about being heartless. What I could see is that some players don’t give a damn about playing this game with a very prestigious sports organization.

Nilan was right though about the current players, who, don’t even know that when they put that CH jersey, they disregard the history and the prestige that this club made. What the players care about is money.

• mb says:

I’m imagining right now Geoff Molson is not watching the game and could care less of what happened to the team for the last few years, since in the past few years he couldn’t make any profit with this team and its products.

• aj says:

Probably he will watch only a few minutes then after that, turn off the TV and just drink some Wine. Check his Iphone probably and think of ways on who he’s going to sell this team.

49. Clay says:

He said – Since I first laid eyes on you, I’ve wanted to make love to you really badly.
    She said – Well, you succeeded.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

50. alwayssunny says:

Little bit of immaturity there from P.K. maybe not the best time to take a penalty. But it’s to be expected from Subban, he will grow up.

51. Mondou6 says:

Not that it matters, but these refs are ridiculous.

They are letting “physical” stuff go all over the ice, and then calling bizarre tacky little calls at random.

52. habs17 says:

WOW that was a brutal call absoluley BRUTAL
    ttp://www.scottygomezfoundation.com/
    President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

53. HabFab says:

94-95′ was the last time we were this bad and the season was cancelled due to a lock out (to prevent such a calamity)

Before that, the first half of World War II when we “tanked” legitimately and with honour.

What a sad sad statement!!

54. habsfaninboston says:

Unbelievable.

55. JayK-47 says:

Cable went out here.

THANK GAWD.

56. topher5468 says:

I think i’ll watch Islander/Ranger game, This game is as unwatchable as the upcoming PP

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

57. Danno says:

Why wasn’t that a penalty shot?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

58. habsfan0 says:

“AK46 utterly invisible again”

He’s saving himself for his new team.

59. MannyR says:

It’s so sad when all i wish for is a goal.

60. Eaglefly says:

Why in God’s name would any GM want to trade with the Canadiens ? Not 1 player is remotely showing he is worth a trade !

61. SteverenO says:

Never thought I`d say I miss Hal Gill……… for his offense. Most of you were worried that our PK would fall apart…..
    Have we scored a goal yet since we traded him?

Steve O.

62. 123456 says:

as much as i want to complain about the terrible defensive play so far. . . . .

i see no goals……. goals, goals, where art thou?

63. Captain aHab says:

My bucket list for the rest of this game includes a single item: i want to see Emelin or Subban hit the tar out of someone.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

64. Stop blocking the posts of those that say they stink!

65. Clay says:

Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are a lot more willing to die.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

66. BKAK72 says:

I am not happy, nor disappointed.

Better to lose w/out a point and be a spoiler for the LEAFS.

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

67. Bill says:

Price-boys bitching about everyone dissing Price or “booing goalies out of town” … PLEASE. Price does not get booed. 90% of fans recognize he’s doing a decent job under terrible circumstances. You’re crying over nothing and the whininess is disgusting.

Full Breezer 4 Life

68. Mondou6 says:

I really do not want to see Markov attempt to come back this year. What is the purpose of that? So he can have another setback in a meaningless game?

The season is over, and he’s been having problems for 2years now. Take the extra 7-8 months off and come back for next season, when we’ll hopefully have a fresh start.

• nick says:

I say let him practice with the team for the rest of the season, but no games until next year. That’ll give him some exercise and allow him to get back into the swing of things.

• Bill says:

Obviously he’s not coming back unless he’s 100%, and if he’s 100%, there’s no reason not to play.

He could hurt his knee getting out of his limo at Whole Foods.

And it’s Markov, so he probably will :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habsperspective says:

OMG, Markov is never coming back, this is all an act. Hes done for good. Typical management saving face. Like they would ever admit the truth, and do the right thing.

Mark-ov my words, the first game back hell be out with a mysterious testicular injury. Just so they can blame it on something else.

Or, hell be taken off IR at 1pm Monday traded to the Leafs for Komisarek, and play till hes 50 while collecting more Stanley Cups, then Beliveau.

69. nick says:

Time to start cheering for Columbus! Go Blue Jackets!

70. habs17 says:

just to let every1 know price did win a playoff series, as a 20 old we beat boston in 7 games and then lost to philly, But Price has won a playoff series

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

71. SteverenO says:

@ shiloh, were doing just fine without the help of the zebras.

Steve O.
    Qlik View – Data Discovery.
    Every team needs it- Every coach needs it.
    Every fan needs it!

72. Clutch10 says:

Anything good on tv right now?

73. nick says:

MTL is going on what, their 11th game this season without scoring a goal? They have 13 where they only scored 1…

That’s 24 games where they have 1 or fewer goals… That… is piss poor horrible hockey even by PeeWee standards.

74. Clay says:

I have a stepladder. It’s a very nice stepladder but it’s sad that I never knew my real ladder.

__________________________