Liveblog: The Claude Giroux Show

Claude_Giroux_11-07-2010

The NHL’s best francophone leads Philadelphia to a 3-1 win over the team no longer known as the Flying Frenchmen.

1. DickandDanny says:

Ok, so after 45 years of watching and cheering this once great team, I think I reached a new moment in my Habs history books. I don’t care anymore. Yup, I’ve had enough. This is a complete first for me, but let me explain. This team is completely uninspiring. I can’t find one good reason, one engaging thing about this team that gets my blood flowing or my heart pounding. Nothing. This team is completely devoid of leadership, excitement, pasion, toughness, it’s like eating oatmeal with nothing on it. It’s just there. Totally bland. So, what do we do to change it? Here are my thoughts, and why. We have several very high priced players who are supposed to electrify us with their goal scoring prowess, ie Mike Cammaleri, 6 million, Brian Gionta, 5 million, Scott Gomez, 7 million (aghhh). What are these guys giving us? Pretty much nothing, especially Gomez who I need not comment further on. Cammaleri? If I said he reminded me of a kid in Pee Wee skating around with one stick in his hand looking inthe stands to find his parents, would this be an accurate description. And what of Gionta? Sorry, Brian I like you the best of the three amigos, but let’s face it your no Beliveau, or Cournoyer for that matter. Your in over your head my friend (no pun intended. So, Mr Gautier if you stil have a job come post Black Friday, which it truly was if you are a Habs fan, you better get busy. Trades are in order. First on the agenda, Eric staal, who I am sure can be had for Cammaleri and Subban. Yup Subban, this guy is as good as he is going to get and he is a distraction, and a liability on some nights. Next, Kovalchuk. Gomex and Gionta need to go home to Jersey, so throw in our first rounder and those two and suddenly we have a team with Staal and Kovalchuk, some bona fide scoring and size. There, not go get er done. Your welcome.

\”A cannoting blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• Barts says:

I couldn’t agree more. I grew up going to the Forum, I’ve been a Habs fan for 35yrs, but I’ve given up. There’s no excitement, no team toughness, nobody to light a spark under the team. They are so vanilla, it makes me sick. Frederic St. Denis on the 4th line???? F right off. It’s bad enough Palushaj is there. Energy line my arse, they are just a waste of time, with the minimal ice time they get. No one is afraid of the Habs, NO ONE. And they know how to beat our D, just put some physical pressure on them, forecheck hard, and they’ll cave. You think it’s bad now? Wait til the playoffs; but then, we’ve all seen that movie before. Sorry Pierre Gauthier, but you’ve had your chance. Get the f**k out please. And as much as it pains me to say it, take Bob Gainey with you.

• Michael says:

Yeah, good idea. Trade four players and fire the GM after every loss. Then you can bitch about Eric Staal’s slump (10 points in 23 games, -16) and Kovalchuk’s total underperformance (11 points – tied with Cammalleri and trailing Cole, Desharnais, Gionta, Pacioretty and Plekanec). He only makes $6 million this year, but don’t worry, next year it kicks up to $11 million so it’ll give you plenty to whine about. It’s amazing that you complain about the salaries and production of Gionta and Cammalleri then suggest we replace them with two more expensive players having less productive seasons.

Totally idiotic suggestion.

• Habs rule says:

I,m with Michael. What you said is just crazy, fix one headache by getting a migraine! And trade Subban?? Really?? Then spend the next 12 or 13 years regretting it. Would love to see Staal, but not at the cost of Subban.

• Chris F says:

I agree with how you feel. I wouldn├Ęt necessarily try these trades, but you absolutely right about the feeling. There is no spark, no excitement, nobody to bring you out of your seats. Too plain, too easy to play against. And our record reflects it.
      I don’t want kovalchuk, but your on to something here. We may need a redo. I’ve been saying Cammy for Bourque, and let Gomez play in the minors and do whatever it takes to land Shae Weber.
      We’ve had to play against our rivals for years with Chara standing back there, lets even it up. Do whatever you have to to make a pitch. Take Gomez’s money and go after Weber, it would change the face of the franchise. Price, Subban, Weber, Patches, Cole, White, re-sign AK, Trade Gio next year for some young guns, do it right.
      The problem is, does PG strike you as someone who could convince Shea Weber to come play in Montreal? NOT A CHANCE. So Molson has some work to do. Turn this mediocrity around.
      You can build around Shae Weber for the next 10 years. Period.

2. chinahab says:

I guess I was deluded in the offseason. I saw a strong defense corps, three strong lines and a good fourth. But all this was predicated on staying healthy and everyone playing up to their capabilities, which never happens anywhere in real life. So when we had to ice an AHL defense, lost a few key forwards and had several others (not just Gomez, which was expected, but especially also Cammarelli), the team fell to .500. That’s where we are and I think it’s too late in the season to expect a turnaround. It could happen and I hope it does but it would be a mini-miracle.
    It’s really sad but I don’t agree with the people who say you have to tank. Yes, that’s one way but you didn’t need to tank to pick Giroux or any number of decent 1st rounders. Smart drafting and trading is also an option, I hope…

3. Everlasting1 says:

Anyone feeling nostalgic? I’m selling my dvd boxset – Montreal Canadiens:10 Most Memorable Games. $20 as is. Postage and handling fee not included.
    Have to come clean, they are ripped copies.

——————————————————————-
    Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

4. Mavid says:

I did not need it explained to me.. and i am a she…not a he…

second place is just the first loser

5. Neutral says:

I heard somewhere that Cammalleri has played at center – if that’s so and someone can verify such – how about 2 lines like this

1st – Max-Pac Pleks AK
    2nd – Cole Cammy Gionta

the remaining forwards should be with the Bull Dogs – how can you expect 6 forwards to carry a team for 82 games and be in a playoff position – no wonder we’re gone in the 1st round.

6. smiler2729 says:

Win some, lose some… 500 team, sigh, when are the Habs gonna get their game breaker, their Giroux?

7. Flobomb12 says:

Gotta love seeing the best french-canadian in the league hammer the Habs… Must agree with all the people talking about how when we win “one” game everything is great, when we lose “one” everything is crap. It’s like listening to a guy with Short-term memory loss, or long-term depending how you look at it. This team is NOT good. It’s not shit poor, but it is average at best and has been that way for soo many years now that I’m not even sure why it’s a debate anymore. Great goaltending (Roy, Theo(for a bit), Price) have masked what has clearly been a mess for a while. Think about it this way; Your Montreal Canadians have not had a true “star” forward in what? 20 years? They have had some solid forwards.. but real stars…nope. They have in net(Roy and now Price) but nothing at forward… really!! There are people on here wishing for AK to come back as some sort of fix, that’s what it has come to…wow. No other team in the league would even want this guy on their team and he is our answer.. might tell us all we need to know. I just pray that I see a Crosby, Giroux, Nugent-Hopkins, Stamkos etc type player come MTL’s way before I die… I’m only 29.. but I still have my doubts!

• AH says:

Great comment and so true, especially your point about AK being some sort of fix, LOL, it wasn’t long ago everyone wanted him traded due to his consistent lack of consistency. Yes, a lot of posters on here could save themselves a lot of grief if they would just realize that this team is a mediocre average team at best right now. Enjoy what you can out of the wins but expect more losses than wins.

I just went over the new fangled advanced stats scoring system and it turns out the Habs were actually the better team today.

Also it’s pretty obvious that Philly lost the Carter and Richards trades and not really an elite team. That they are in the top tier of the league is an illusion. According to Fenwick, PDO and Corsi the Flyers are actually in 13th place.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Advanced stats aren’t terrible HH.

Issue is Berkshire uses them to try and argue a point not a single analyst will argue, that Gomez will get better and start contributing in a Top-6 capacity. Statistics can not explain everything and Gomez is creating a statistical anomaly, his puck posession stats say he ought to be more valuable (because people who hold the puck that often usually can create offence) but Gomez can not.

If for a decade, teams with a certain Fenwick grade are the ones that make the playoffs it’s as valid as arguing that teams essentially must carry a positive GF/GA differential to make it in, another statistic that is pretty much an absolute.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

9. Dust says:

I really think the fact that the habs don’t have a fourth line that goes out there and grinds and makes big hits to sway momentum really hurts this team. They seem to be lacking in energy. Such a frustrating team to watch.

10. Mavid says:

i don’t know what happened to this site..it used to be excellent..a great place to talk hockey with the smartest fans in hockey..now its mostly bashing and hating…I am disappointed too that we have lost too many games, and that some nights it seems as though the team has taken the night off…but honestly…its gone way over the top…I love my team..and would never stoop to the level some on here do..I hope it goes back to the way it was, were we can talk about wins and loss’s with some class and dignity..

second place is just the first loser

• HardHabits says:

The Habs need to tank. Get used to it. But first a real purge is needed. Sadly it wont happen with Geoff Molson as the owner. It’s hereditary. The Molsons are partially responsible for this team being the POS it is today.

The Habs are just an investment for Molson. They could care less about the fans or the Cup. Make the play-offs to keep the regular season tickets sold and the merchandise flying off the shelves. Get a few play-off games for some extra gravy.

F*ck*n’ charlatans and snake oil salesmen.

• New says:

I am not sure anything happened to the site. In fact the “site” may have gotten better. I do believe that years of expressing hope and frustration with the situation has an effect. Folks begin to recognize others are fed up, and realize that they are as well. I have a hunch that fan interest runs on a bell curve and the crest will indicate a rapid diminishment of both interest and sales. Is this year the crest? I myself think the crest is past and the angst you read is reflecting the sense that it is over.

11. fun police says:

again, when Moen and Darche are your third line wingers, its tough to complain about lack of offence. those two on the fourth gives us a good 4th line.

12. Say Ash says:

David Fischer’s got 3 goals and 6 assists through 12 games with the Florida Everblades. He’s gonna light it up again in Kalamazoo tonight.

13. New says:

Ok. The Habs played a 13-10 team. The Habs are 10-13. The Flyers are a better team. Right now there are 20 better teams.Oddly, subtract Gomer’s salary from the payroll and the Habs are 20-21st in the league in money spent as well.

After 18 years we should get used to it. There will be hype, and positive spins, and the team will be in it all the way until…until we all wake up and realize they were out of it in October and never got a sniff after that.

And nope, Gomez wasn’t at fault but the 7 million dollar hole he leaves in the lineup against cap teams may well be a major cause of the current situation.

14. ont fan says:

so the new coach should be Cunnyworth..thot he was running the powerplay…always funny listennig to you guys..fire the coach but no realistic coach around…maybe Gomez..what do you think

15. fun police says:

this has to be only the 3rd or 4th game all year that we haven’t outplayed the other team. if we had any kind of consistent offence we would be deadly. with all of the pp chance we had early, the game should have been put out of reach. Montreal seems like the place where goal scorers come to die. our “system” preaches defence first and then all of a sudden, with the flick of a switch, the players are supposed to be able to score when needed.
    i think we need a coaching change. JM did what was needed, which was to restore some credibility that was lost when cargo was coaching.

16. Chris F says:

Just watched the Martin press conference. He stated the team had a good first period. In the second the PP could not garner the momentum, and Philly took it.
    That was his explanation. Philly took momentum.
    His body language mirrored the effort of the team. Zero energy, zero.
    As long as we have a fourth line consisting of an AHL D man, we are in big trouble. Not to say this loss is on St. Denis, because it’s not. But it speaks volumes about the team.
    I just don’t believe we’ll ever be healthy, completely. With AK, Markov, and White, this is a different team. Spacek and Campoli could help.
    But……the team looked lost in Philly, maybe the early game, being up early for the parade, too much turkey, who knows, but it was embarassing after the first.
    I don’t think PG can do anything right now, I doubt any GM will work with him to help fix the problems.
    He didn’t go out and get a big D with a shot.
    He didn’t go out and get a punishing fourth line guy.
    He simply didn’t address the teams needs. I will give him the Cole signing, given the guy is our best player.
    Price cares, Gorges cares, I like Weber.
    What the eff is wrong with PK. He must be hurt, and the booing may be getting to him. He’s still young.
    Why do you think PK get’s booed in Philly? Carolina? NY? Hmmmmm.

17. Bripro says:

I like Ian’s idea.
    Push to have Muller brought back.

The Habs are History.

HRH

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, if We beat Pittsburgh tomorrow 5-0 …will We be back to organizing the parade ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

20. HNS says:

No wonder people here are so pessimistic here. This fu*&in team is pathetic.

21. jimmyb001 says:

Ok so let’s face it everyone, Martin is the guy to go. Anyone that cannot see that is blind. His handling of Gomez, Eller and other rookies is not working. In fact go back to his Ottawa and Florida days what has he REALLY won ? Let Cunneyworth run the show. As far as PG is concerned he should be second in line.

Given the situation in the East this team will not make the playoffs.

billy jackson

22. Muckbringer says:

i hear boston is recruiting fans

23. habstrinifan says:

I learnt a new term yesterday. Neural plasticity! The hockey played by this team under this coach resembles the substance expunged ONLY by an act of ANAL PLASTICITY.

24. adamkennelly says:

beat by a much better team….here’s a novel idea – put pressure on our crap D and they will fail…aggressive pursuit of the point guys on our PP and we have no one who can do anything down low…..if not for Price they would have scored 6 or 7…I hate Darche..I hate having some crap D-man on our 4th line and I hate the fact that our Fs look like kids against men…..

25. AceMagnum says:

Fire Geoff Molson!!

“Horton Hears a Boo”
    -Mike Boone April 2011

26. JayK-47 says:

Last few minutes of the 3rd, DD is behind the net, Cole and Patches stay near the boards. I think: “Okaaaaay?”

A few seconds later, Patches has the puck on the side boards, DD stays behind the net and Cole stays at the far boards. Now I make a stinkface.

Are the Habs verboten from going near the blue ice? What the eff?