Liveblog: Canadiens beat Islanders 5-3

AK46

The Canadiens blew a two-goal lead … again.
But Petteri Nokelainen, of all people, beat Al Montoya with one the Islanders’ goalie should have stopped.
Hal Gill added an empty-netter.

1,031 Comments

1. marykate30 says:

Hopefully we won’t get any crappy calls against us in this game. Go Isles…

2. The Juice says:

Still no regulation losses in December…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

3. BCG says:

Yet another game where Cammy is invisible.

It’s time Boone and the Gazette media start ratcheting up the heat on this no show. I’ve heard enough about Gomez, P.K., Gill, Darche and Kaberle

4. geo_habsgo says:

I think Subban played a better game than some of you are letting on. Sure he screwed up on the first goal and had a mean turnover in the third, those are really bad. However, he makes mistakes its what you expect from a defensemen whose 22. He made some great plays out there and played the most minutes of any other defensemen and for the most part you didnt notice him out there which is a good sign.

Also he had some dangerous shots tonight. I think he’s going to get his offensive swag back with Kaberle on the PP.

Also Eller showed some creativity, intensity, and potential tonight. If he can tap into that every night he’s got a bright, bright future in the NHL.

• Bill says:

It’s a rare player who doesn’t make a couple of mistakes each game, especially when they’re playing the kind of minutes PK plays, and at his age? People who slam him – as opposed to an objective critique – are just clueless.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Da Hema says:

Bill: I am not certain to whom you refer as “slamming” Subban, but I have made some critical comments about his play of late. His play has become increasingly erratic. Subban is doing well for a 22 year-old defenceman, but I am beginning to think he may need to sit a game to gain some perspective. The coaching staff did that with him last year, and Subban came back and played better. Either that or Martin should reduce his ice time because Subban looks overwhelmed right now. I don’t believe my comments are “slamming” Subban.

5. magictom says:

As with price, the Habs are trying to change the way pk plays the game and that’s odd since we drafted them because we liked what we saw. Refine and polish their game but don’t ask stallions to trot

• LA Loyalist says:

Amen. Even Larry Robinson was not Larry Robinson out of the gate. He was carefully groomed and nurtured both in Nova Scotia and in the Big House until he became himself.

I would not let Jacques Martin coach my 8 year old kid. How’s that for definitive? :-)

6. kakey says:

@Habsolutely

I think they deleted our posts, so I’ll explain to you here again. For the last time I was not insulting you by calling you a troll, I was referring to THOSE SILICON VALLEY PATENT TROLLS, because I find it brilliant that you guys added the ™, as a joke, after some of Jacques Martin’s defensive strategies he uses to protect (sometimes unsuccessfully) 3rd period leads. Maybe it was too cerebral for a hockey forum, so I’ll keep it simple, just like PK after his spinoramas caused some turnovers.

Lets just make peace.

7. magictom says:

One of the major contributors to our success on the pk is gill. We can’t underestimate that coupled with our pathetic pp

• Nojo says:

while most folk love skillsie’s character he is mostly a liability on defence. its time for Mtl to outgrow him. Great guy is Gill but restricting the development of Emelin for a team that has no aspirations of Stanley Cup glory.

You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt

• Hab-Q says:

Skillsie-Dimish-ie

______________________________________________________
        “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

8. saskhabfan says:

Happy we won but JM’s 3rd period sit back on a lead style nearly cost us again. Emelin should also not be sitting at all. The guy has more nasty in him then the rest of our defence combined. None of the others play a physical game which is why the opposition gain our blue line with ease.

• LA Loyalist says:

Martin secretly wants to coach girls’ hockey. Problem is they are too tough for him, so he sticks with the softest team in history and runs his crappy 3rd period prevent defense turtle drill.

Beating the Islanders should be pro forma, not cause for opening Champagne.

• Just A Guy says:

Lets see.. Emelin 79 hits

Georges 46
      Pk 38
      Diaz 21
      Gill 21
      Kaberle 9
      others 2

79 vs 139

most of the guys have 31 games versus Emelin’s 22

So.. I think you might be spot on there, Emelin really does have twice the nasty then the rest of the D combined.

9. boonie says:

There have been hockey trades as long as there has been hockey. Guess that makes “wh@ring” the sport’s oldest obsession…

Edit: sorry that was meant as a reply to a quickly deleted comment from the everlasting1 -his post didn’t live up to it owner’s name

10. That got scary at the end. It took a lot to beat the mighty Isles at home. But in the end we’re 2-0 in the Kaberlera.

11. Mats26 says:

First regulation win this year when allowing 3+ goals – second overall. I feel bad for Price. Tough to always allow 2 or less…

12. boonie says:

At what point do the Caps start disassembling and trade talent like semin and backstrom for character; and how do we get in on it?

• Da Hema says:

I am a little confused by your post. If, as you suggest, Washington should dump their toxic waste like Semin and Backstrom, why in the world would you want Montreal to be their dump site?

• LA Loyalist says:

Semin and Backstrom are on a skill level that our forwards, excepting Cammi when the spirit moves him, can only dream of.

Of course getting that skill to function is a challenge for a coach, can you reasonably imagine that JM would have any idea what to do with offensive skill like that?

If we had a new, creative, coach, then we could discuss, but Martin with those guys? Train wreck.

• Da Hema says:

Alexei Kovalev also had high skill levels, but that doesn’t mean it would be good for the team to have him. All I have heard out of Washington is that they have major problems in their dressing room, and Semin is apparently a part of that problem. At any rate, neither Semin nor Backstrom will be Habs any time soon, so this is all moot.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have Alexander Semin in my HabsInsideOut Memorial hockey pool, and I drafted him pretty high but he’s messing the bed. I’m tempted to drop him, but I’m afraid he’ll shape up and catch fire. I can totally sympathize with what the Capitals coaches are going through.

Maybe I should seek out Dale Hunter and consult with him. Of course, I’d be tempted to take a sock full of nickels with me and get some street justice for all the butt-ends and elbows and spears and slashes he dished out as a Nordique. And I’d want to inflict more damage once he was down to extract a pound of flesh for the dirty hit on Pierre Turgeon.

So maybe I don’t sympathize with the Capitals coaches after all.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Absolutely look how JM has screwed up Cole! Hmm wait a second?

• boonie says:

Getting top tier talent takes luck + (a) a lottery pick, (b) a big time trade and/or (c) UFAs willing to come to Montreal. We never seem to be in the running for any of the these.

So, I’m hoping we can pick up on greatly talented player on the Relative Cheap surround him with our character guys and add the talent that I’d love to see here.

• Da Hema says:

Erik Cole was an UFA.

• Hab-Q says:

Cole was not an “A” list free agent. And we had to over-pay.

Like when BG signed Gio, Cammy and Spatch

______________________________________________________
            “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

13. kakey says:

I find it brilliant that you guys added the ™ after the usual JM patented defensive strategies, especially during a lead in the 3rd, so the idea to connect this to THOSE SILICON VALLEY PATENT TROLLS, but NOT YOU THE TROLL, came to mind. Maybe it was a bit too cerebral for a hockey forum. I’ll try to keep it simple, just like PK after a turnover from a bad spinorama.

14. SLYDER says:

last 6 games – 9 points

not bad right?

those three lost points were shootout losses

three shootout losses in which the habs blew leads

one of those leads was 3-0 AT HOME

hate to be the debbie downer but that is BRUTAL …. and it looked like it was going to happen again tonight

15. nejad123 says:

hey guess what…………..we’re in 8th place hahahaha

I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
    Muhammad Ali

• nunacanadien says:

That’s all the Molsons want. 8th place. They only want the first round gate proceeds from a playoff. The Molsons never ever have wanted a cup. All they care about is concert gate proceeds. Hockey will never be their priority and we’ll always have to contend with watching talent like PK Subban and Alexei Emelin wasted in Montreal…..

16. otter649 says:

Islanders spread out their goal scoring – Getting one goal each against each of The Habs three defensive pairs………

This team needs some healthy forwards back. We have a couple playing right now that seem to need a rest.

One doesn’t get the impression this team is ready to give us any easy victories yet, but we did get the win. Considering how we have struggled most against supposed weak teams, this was a very good result for the team.

Good to see PK get up from the dirty hit, Glad to see Cole is okay.

Want to see Emelin back in, but we won, so enjoy the Lafleur dogs Alexei…

• Stev.R says:

Still haven’t lost in regulation in december?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m worried about Moen more Gerald …can’t afford to lose what little ‘truculence’ We do have

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• LA Loyalist says:

Good point. We generally load the diaper against weaker teams.

Why that is I have no freaking idea.

• nunacanadien says:

That sends a nasty message to Jacques Martin. We’ll continue to watch as the other teams hit our talented players and knock them off their game once Martin has figured a way to reduce the impact of Emelin. The same way JM did not like Subban’s style either. Before Jacques Martin Subban was a flashy exciting player. Under Jacques Martin we have seen the talent of PK Subban wasted. You could see Cole struggling with Jacque’s five on five style. Clearly we need to send a message as fans we are not going to put up with watching Subban and Cole get massacred like that without any retribution.

19. HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

Well its a win…Eller,AK,Cole,DD,Max all had very solid games!…Hey another point for Kabs!!! Subban needs to sit next game, he is absolutely lost out there, as is Cammalleri….A Krushin Russian hit would of been a nice sight tonight as well…Diaz is very soft out there and would benefit greatly being in Hamilton for a year or so

• magictom says:

New to the site. First of all, yemelin sits? We’ve been looking for someone to install fear to opposition forwards and when we find him we sit him so that Diaz , who is inferior defensively, can contribute offensively, which is why campoli was hired. ????? Are you guys tired of the Habs defending leads by giving up shots like we did to the Canucks. Is that working. An observation. Plecky is always criticized in the French media as il fauteuils donner plus. Really? Again our leading scorer. 25 in 32. Pk stalwart. He doesn’t do enuff?

Magictom

20. Dulljerk says:

I agree, that “OLE” crap is sooooo old and tired. Not to mention embarassing.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

21. Sharks9 says:

Beaulieu and Bournival have both scored in the WJ exhibition game tonight. Hopefully that helps them make the team!

25 before 14

• 24moreCups says:

And Gallagher was a scratch for tonight’s game, hope the 3 of them make the team.

• Sharks9 says:

Yea apparently the scratch means he’s guaranteed to make it which is good news. I would love to have all 3 of them make it because I don’t really watch junior hockey so it would be nice to see our prospects in action.

25 before 14

22. Da Hema says:

Whatever. What are the Islanders going to do about it?

23. Hab-Q says:

Undefeated in the Tomas ka-BEAR-la- era

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

• nunacanadien says:

I recall we were saying the same thing about being undefeated in the five on five formation era of Martin….but alas we watched as the Bruins decimated Martin’s rigid style of play.

24. kakey says:

I remember Don Cherry calling Cole out for taunting Doug Gilmore, who was playing for the Habs, after he scored a goal. Yes we need someone like that, “avec du chien”.

25. Jim Edson says:

Try being a Gwai Lo in China for 10 years!

I don’t mean the tourist zones of Beijing and Shanghai either!

There’s two sides to every coin!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

26. habsperspective says:

Cant depend on anyone helping out along the way. Ottawa wins in Buffalo in OT. Toronto the same. Jersey even gets the SO win over Miami. Still stuck out of the playoffs. Philly, Jersey, Boston, Chicago, and Winnipeg next.

27. Sotxhabsfan says:

Thank goodness! A regulation win!
    Didn’t think PK had a great game, I wonder what’s up with him. Could it be injury or just too much thinking and not playing?
    Campoli probably won’t really look good for a couple of games, he’s been out for a while.
    Emelin needs to be in against the Flyers.
    Kaberle with 3 points so far. Nice! I’d like to see him shoot a few times on the PP or people will just know he’s going to pass after all those fakes.
    Hey Boone: We have enough trouble scoring goals. At least credit the ones we get!