Liveblog: Canadiens mount comeback, blow lead, lose 5-3

DD

The Canadiens’ league-leading penalty-kill did not have a good night.
Jamie McBain’s PP goal capped a Carolina comeback in the third period.

Big night for Eric Staal: Two goals, including a shortie.

Kirk Muller and Jaro Spacek leave the Bell Centre laughing.

1. podbay says:

Gomez for 7 minutes? The guy’s been playing much better lately, and when he was out there tonight, he was playing hard. That plus AK on the ice for 4 minutes total? Bad decisions all around. Carolina is one of the teams the Habs seem to suck against almost every time.

2. vegas says:

shoot Desharnais, shoot
    2 open opportunities on net and he tries the impossible pass
    Blame Paccioretty on that shorthanded goal, he should have knocked the puck off of Stall way before. Kaberle’s momentum was going the other way
    Ak playing 4 minutes I don’t get it? playing on the forth line I don’t get it. Eller with 2 rookies on his wings on the third line I don’t get it?
    I was at the Bell center and it was an entertaining game, a Win would have been sweet.

Unfortunately I don’t get a few things

3. AnimalMother says:

Please keep losing and start selling.

4. RGM says:

Five in a row would have been nice. Such is life. Start up a new streak against the Bruins. Still lots of time remaining, just a bit less than there was before tonight.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

5. L Elle says:

Does RC have someone talking to him behind the bench,

“WTF Randy, Gomez on the shootout? Gomez on the PP? You’re benching AK in a close game? We need to cover Staal Randy, he’s dangerous out there.”, and other such “advice”.

RC is a good guy, but needs much more experience. sighhhhh, on to the next game.

6. AnimalMother says:

AK must be a goner. 4 mins TOI??? Something is up for sure.

7. AnimalMother says:

Anti, I agreed with u up to the go bruins…u must seriously be pissed.

8. Nina76 says:

WHAT IN THE HE.. ARE WE PLAYING GOMEZ ON SO MANY SHIFTS??????? WE KNOW HE IS NO GOOD. I CANNOT FIGURE OUT RANDY DOING THIS HE KNOWS HOW HE PLAYS. TOLD BY UPPER MANEGMENT I THINK……….NO TEAM IS GOING TO TAKE HIM . ALOT OF SCOUTS THERE TO-NITE BUT I AM SURE THEY WERE NOT INTERESTED IN GOMEZ………DUMB BUNNY WITH A BIG SALARY

9. habsgod says:

i have a feeling that kostitsyn will be traded to the l.a. kings for dustin penner………………..just a gut feeling,nope not but i can see gauhtier getting fleeced again in that trade

10. savethepuck says:

This edition of the Habs is definitely a roller coaster of emotions. When they were losing 2-0, I was pissed. They score 3 goals in the last 9 minutes of the 2nd to go up 3-2 and I’m elated. But in the back of mind, as I am sure was going through other’s minds is that this is the worst Habs team I can remember for holding a 1 goal lead in the 3rd. I have no idea why, but it’s getting too frustrating. I’m not going to jump off the bandwagon because of this 1 loss, I expected Carolina to play well for their coach, but when are the stinkers in the 3rd going to stop for this team. Two points tonight, or even 1, would of been huge with the Leafs idle and Washington losing. Time for another winning streak. Keep the faith.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• habs17 says:

keeping the faith, bro its over we have to move on and have faith for next year or maybe the year after that or maybe the year after that or maybe…………….

I support Scott Gomez

• nunacanadien says:

Price has to go for the Habs to win a cup. Otherwise Price will take all the focus away from the offense. We have to stop thinking Price is the answer when he is not. Price is not the answer, in fact Price is part of the reason why we are here. Price and the team don’t know how to play and win into the 3rd period.

11. The Gonk says:

I hope we offer Campoli an extension. $3.75 for 5 years sounds about right. Thank goodness Kaberle is locked up. But 2015 is coming up fast.

• nunacanadien says:

I disagree on Campoli. There are other players out there with just as many skills, bigger size than Campoli and who can sign here for cheaper. We have to stop trying to fill a mold here. Fast skating small is not going to win a cup. Enough of signing Veterans who get hurt easily like Campoli and who cost us both the cup and the playoffs. We can’t hang onto our rookies, and even when we do, they are too small to really fit anywhere. We have to stop signing small all over. We have to stop our belief that Carey Price is God’s Gift to Hockey. We need to sell the farm to win.

12. 24moreCups says:

Well goodbye Schultz, it would of been nice to see if he can add anything to our team(not just fighting). Maybe Moen is ready to come back.

13. AnimalMother says:

Schultz must have been begging management for a rendezvous at Chez Paree

14. habsgod says:

15. AnimalMother says:

Trade must of been hinging on Gomez getting a PP goal lol. Not likely.

16. Marc10 says:

Too many passengers tonight. Staal wanted it more than the Habs with the exception of Cole. That was the difference.

Congrats to Captain Kirk.

17. twilighthours says:

Guys… Enough with the AKost love. He really is a terrible hockey player. And he has been for about… Oh… Forever. He displays flashes of brilliance and passion a few days every 2 months, then fades into suckitude. Quietest, most ineffectual 20 goal man I can think of. The shift he played that led to first Carolina goal was so so bad. Sign him and deal him. Or deal him. Or whatever.

18. habs17 says:

not blaming D.D but the man needs to shoot more but great game by him
    I support Scott Gomez

19. AnimalMother says:

Schultz sent down WTF?

• habs-fan-84 says:

retarded.

• RGM says:

You don’t call retarded people retards. It’s bad taste. You call your friends retards when they are acting retarding. I don’t know if you are Pierre Gauthier are friends or not, so you decide.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

20. kempie says:

Campoli, Diaz, Weber and Kaberle, oh man Kaberle. These guys really make me miss Paul Mara.

21. punkster says:

Good heavens. Last night it was the Grammys and tonight on here it’s the Oscars. Lots of overacting.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

22. habs17 says:

Why was i actually looking foward to this game, the first time in a while and we lose for the first time this year i jumped up when D.D scored
    I support Scott Gomez

23. SteverenO says:

Hang this loss on the coach.In a flash of brilliance he has now determined that Gomez is a powerplay specialist. In the 3rd period Gomez played a total of 2 minutes and 43 seconds, of which 2 minutes and 20 seconds on the PP.

I know that none of our class a reporters will dare ask the coach to explain what he in heavens name he was thinking by putting Gomez on the PP, so can anyone here try to explain it?

In the second period we scored two powerplay goals in the second period. Desharnias played 2:23 seconds with the man advantage. Gomez did not step on the ice.

In the third period, Gomez played 2.20 seconds on the Power Play, More than Desharnais, who saw only 1 minute 40 with the man advantage.,This is not house league for gods sake! In one instance a Hurricane was injured and there was a lengthy delay.All the player had a chance to catch their breath, but does the coach come back with his number one PP unit? No, it was Gomez`s “turn”.

For whatever reason Gomez and Andre K were pretty much glued to the bench. If they were deemed not worthy of even strength ice time, what did they do to merit PP time. If they were “short” bodies and one of them had to go on the PP, why would Gomez with one goal get the nod ahead of Andre K who has scored 12 goals this year.?

Why not Leblanc?, Eller?, Palushaj?

Randy C, has some good qualities as a coach. I like the way he has changed the “style” and “identity” of the team. Unfortunately he has the same disease as his predecessor, Gomezitis Powerplayitis, It`s a rare virus that compels a coach to continuously put his least effective forward on the PowerPlay.

This madness has become unbearable!

regards,

Steve O.

Steve O.
    Qlik View – Data Discovery.
    Every team needs it- Every coach needs it.
    Every fan needs it!

24. DickandDanny says:

One last time…wtf was kaberle doing on the pp with a 3-2 lead in the 3rd playing opposite Eric Staal. Minor league coaching MISTAKE. Cost us the game and maybe the season. Yes, it was that big a mistake.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• aj says:

I think the way RC’s thinking towards Kaberle is that he’s going to compliment in Markov’s absence. I believe he’s doing the same like what Jacques Martin did in the past. I maybe wrong but I’m seeing that they want him to fill that ala ‘quarterback’ role that Markov use to have.

25. mtlny says:

Enough of you people that think we have a chance…. We need to win about 18 of 25… A .720 winning %

26. AnimalMother says:

I am and have been in support of tanking for months now. I’m not proud of that, but it needs to happen ASAP! The worst thing for this team is another 4 game winning streak. I love them as much as everyone, but they need to hit rock bottom before they build back up. Just pray it’s under a new GM and coach. Seriously pray.

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We have a very decent if not a very good Coach …I would not get rid of Him at this time (I will make a final evaluation of Randy at the end of season)

…We have a very good and exciting Team, the only Players I want out are Campoli and Kaberle …most of the rest I like very much

…What We are missing is a dominating centre …someOne with ice presence, and the goal scoring and play-making knack

…that and a few tweaks, and We got one damn good Team

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

28. nellis13 says:

And why did Palusha (sp?) play the entire game? He was a liability on a line that otherwise was looking good. Randy should have at least tried AK for a shift or two. Eller and LL wanted to play.

• aj says:

Unfortunately, that’s the one weakness RC has that I notice. He seems to not know which players to put at the right moment.

He placed Kaberle for the last 2 PP’s and blew it by giving the Canes some advantage in their PK. Instead of putting AK for the PP, he put Gomez.

29. manu07 says:

Cunny is killing his coaching career playing Gomez. I am honestly thinking he can’t be that stupid and he is being told by PG to play him in some hopes that his value rises. (impossible)

30. twilighthours says:

Jacques,

Unfortunately, staal is not the only player who has made kaberle look bad. There have been many – and far worse – players doing that to him for awhile now.

• aj says:

The sad part to this win is this, the 2 former Habs players left the Bell Centre with smiles in their faces while the 2 current Habs players are leaving tonight with pissed off faces and one of the two is partly to blame for the crap that just happened tonight.

31. Dr.Rex says:

The worst part is as long as Craperle is on this team the third period collapses will continue. Clearly PG and RC are aware of this.

GOmez on teh 4 on 4 in the 2nd was a huge mistake. He was skating circles in the de zone and lead to Diaz taking a penalty which lead to the 2nd goal. ITs the same crap over and over.

32. Hobie Hansen says:

Two mistakes by our defense cost us.

The 4th goal by Carolina was on Gill’s stick with plenty of time to settle the puck down and clear it but his clearing attempt was brutal and the puck stayed in our end for 4 more chances and Carolina finally scores. The man can not clear a puck with all the time in the world, ever.

And yeah, that Kaberle pylon imitation was ugly.

We’re not dead yet. Toronto has a back-to-back starting tomorrow against Calgary and Edmonton and they have to lose both! And Ottawa has to lose tomorrow against Florida as well.

And we’ve got to win a slug-fest in Boston on Wednesday.

We’re not dead yet but back on life support for sure!

33. habs-fan-84 says:

so what happens if they win the next 4? Is everyone back on the band wagon?

34. smiler2729 says:

I dunno but I kinda liked what I saw from Palushaj tonight… just sayin’

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

35. jon514 says:

So when will the AK46 trade be announced? 4:20 ice time. Gomez also had 7:29. There’s no value for Gomez out there, but I’m sure Nashville would love to nab AK. Do the deal and get something back already. This guy will rebound so make sure he plays in the west coast please.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

36. habsgod says:

RANDY DUMMYWORTH! you blow as a coach good riddance we don’t need you and your dumb decisions playing gomez on the second pp unit and you sit kostitsyn man he’s a dumb coach! molson fire gauthier and his puppet dummyworth now and let’s drop into the bottom 5 and get our top 5 pick the seasons over.

37. habsfan0 says:

I think Price is really religious. Not only does he have a cross on his mask,he always seems to be on his knees praying.

38. the jacques says:

According to the HIO experts this is the first time ever eric staal beat a defenceman one on one to score a goal.Kabby is far from the first player staal has made look bad and it will be far from the last one staal does it to. Too bad most of your are not smart enough to know that.

If you smell what the jacques is cooking.

• habs17 says:

Its actually If you smell what the rock is cooking, also HBK is back tonite Every1 watch wwe on rite now

I support Scott Gomez

• Dr.Rex says:

Crappy also passed it to Stall in open ice. DOnt forget that part. Oh and the part where he dove before Stall cut in. That was also classic. Stall would never had made it across teh crease if Crappy stayed on his friggin skates.

39. magictom says:

Ak on the 4th line with Gomez and campoli? Really. 20 goals every year. Maybe if he wasn’t the only guy to have to sit every time he makes a bad play he’d be more of an asset

40. AnimalMother says:

If Gomez has a shred of decency he will retire after this season. We can afford to buy out Kaberle if he can’t be traded. Either that or we “Redden” his ass.

• The Gonk says:

I support the anti-Gomez. The one without press savvy, the piss-pour locker room guy, who gets 90 points a season, who leads by example on the ice, who scores 35 goals, back-checks always, and plays those tough minutes against the other team’s top line. The guy from Antarctica, with a mullet, who hits, takes a beating to go the net and has a negative cap hit of $7.5 million.

Gomez will not be on this team next year.

41. twilighthours says:

My favourite part was when staal walked around kaberle for the goal.

Sweet.

42. habs17 says:

is any1 gonna watch the playoffs this year, i doubt ill watch it, ill be out in the warm weather kicking stones

I support Scott Gomez

43. AnimalMother says:

This team would win more if Gomez and Kaberle vanished. It’s not whining. It is a reality that is hard to accept. They MUST go. And yes…it is Gomez’s fault we suck. He is draining this team of its life force.

• Dr.Rex says:

ITs true, we are better off with fringe NHL;s like St Denis and Enqvist then we are with GOmer and Craperle. Sit em in the box but dont let them continually poinson this team. NOt saying they are a playoff team but its ridiculous that these two bums are playing so bad and continually being put in position to fail.

• piper says:

could someone look after that for us please. just kidding.

• DickandDanny says:

Gomez and kaberle and Cunneyworth sucked tonight. But mostly I blame Randy for the loss, and I’m a big supporter of his, but tonight Kirk out coached him badly. Why tf was kaberle on against staal with a 3-2 3rd period lead? Minor league stuff. BS. Cist us the game F*** am I mad.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

44. ProHabs says:

AK plays 4 minutes, the least on the team. He is not the worst forward on the team.

It is nice to see the team back on track to getting a lottery pick.

45. L Elle says:

You didn’t expect them to win 25 games in a row, did you?

46. novahab says:

I am praying Kaberle is gone tonite, please Lord let PG find some sucker to take him. He a plant for the Leaf to keep us out of the playoffs.

47. The Gonk says:

Gomez will not be on this team next year.

48. habs-fan-84 says:

I see the whiners are back out in full force. Get over it, it was an entertaining game, we lost. The super emotional response of some people around here is simply embarrassing. With statements to the effect of “trade the whole team” or “PG is the worst GM”, I’m sorry but you sound worse than a bunch of teenage girls.

49. Habbu says:

Agree the Habs need a phenom…a game changer….only way you’re getting a player like that is through the draft

50. Bill says:

Losing this game makes no difference at all.

Full Breezer 4 Life

51. Dr.Rex says:

Kaberle is a piece of trash. He is our downfall. HE let his teammates down and the fans. TO see several players on this team lay it all on the line and he just craps the bad. It is pathetic.

GOmez and Kaberle are holding this team back. I guarantee anyone here that if the habs had scratched Gomer and Craperle and put in WHite and Schultz (only 6 defence) we would have won this game. I guarantee that statement. A peice of trash and he still has two more years to play on our team. Shoot me now.

52. AnimalMother says:

Anyone on here or anywhere in north america thinking that the Habs are going to or should make the playoffs is either 12 yrs old, is not in check with reality or needs to join PG in the glue sniffing room. Season is over. Trade trade trade. Then fire PG. Fire RC. Bury Gomez. Next.

• habs17 says:

ya i agree today i was actually looking foward to this game, and i had hopes of competing for a playoff spot, wtf was i thinking i must of been smoking something to think that we are so terrible

I support Scott Gomez

• Dr.Rex says:

I cant believe I actually fell for the hype and got excied for tonights game. My palms were sweaty and for the first time thsi year I screamed with joy when DD scored. I cant beleive I let myself get in such a vulnerable state.

I always disliked Craperle, so I guess its only fitting that he was the one who slapped me back to reality.

• aj says:

Well we’re still Habs fans though, win or lose like most people are saying here. We can be either whiners or die hard fans who will still support them no matter what.

• Lizardking89 says:

Amen to this

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…fail for Nail ? …or blow for Grinko (or whatever the Hell the Big Russian centre is called) ?

…well, despite My encouragement received from the 4 game win streak …this game shows what the difference a Big Elite Centre would make to Our Habs

…the difference, was NOT Kirk Muller or Cam Ward …it was Eric Stahl

…Eric Stahls do not grow in turnip fields to be plucked when You want one …Eric Stahls are Top-5 draft picks

…whatever, like I said winning is like a drug …We want to win NOW ! …very difficult to want Your Team not to win

…but, ….

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• DickandDanny says:

Time to VENT. F*** am I mad. Tonight, Cunneyworth got out coached. Badly. Kaberle matched against Staal in the 3rd period, with a 3-2 lead. I don’t care if it’s the pp, were leading not losing at that point. As for how he played his lines tonight, Randy, c’mon too many guys sitting watching. AK, Gomez, no ice time at all. Pacioretty was done by the end of the game. He had nothing left come the misddle of the third period. You can’t play 2 1/2 lines in the NHL. Thi swas a huge opportunity and an even bigger defeat. Caps lose. We could have gained on them and also been 5 behind the Laffs. What a complete coaching meltdown in the third. Gorges and Plekanec were horrible on the PK tonight. Pleks could not move for two of their pp goals, guessing he was gassed too. Wake up Cunneyworth, tonight you were the difference. And carey, you’ve been great so not much to say other than close the GD five hole, Staal’s game tieing goal was the killer and you should have had that easily. Stack the pads, sprawl out, anything but open the 5 hole.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

54. Steeltown Hab says:

Why was AK46 benched? How does he not get PP time over Gomez. And for the love of God this coaching staff needs to use Eller on the PP, his puck possession skills are way better than Gomez, Plek, Bourque, etc. Kaberle isn’t working on the first unit. Time for Diaz or Weber (when he`s in the lineup) to get a chance. I even truly believe Emelin could fill in very well, better than Kaberle to say the least

55. habsfan0 says:

Gainey at game tonight. Still looking to sign Mats Sundin.

56. Boomer says:

Why was Gomez on every single Powerplay we had??
    Anyone know?… besides the only guy here who “supports Scott Gomez”

• habs17 says:

gomez is not the reason we lost this game

I support Scott Gomez

• Boomer says:

Habs17 i was looking for a rational reason why Gomez was on the pp with one goal this year… and I didnt say he was the reason we lost tonight (althugh now that you mention it…) I’m questioning why more talented and natural goal scorers are on the bench and a guy with 1 goal in the last calendar year is out there, so again… any rational reason why Scott Gomez is on the PP?

• solomio says:

to please Gainey

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

57. ooder says:

kaberle and campoli… ooph that is a disaster waiting to happen

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

58. novahab says:

Well if the NHL had real drug testing the Canes would not even be in this game. Sorry I seen this team play many times this year and they had a magical extra gear tonight. I also blames CC what the hell did you call up White and Schultz for. The Canes were all hype up on god knows what, would have been nice to have a little toughness in the line up. The Habs got pushed around again in their own building. CC is wearing out playing three lines and I think that showed tonight. Markov tape the MF up and get on the ice we need you.

59. matt jordan says:

that game came down to Kaberle’s patented soft play.

Are there any more brutal ex-Leafs available with bloated contracts?

60. habs17 says:

WHY does love hurt so much
    I support Scott Gomez

61. 2shoes says:

Well now we can get back to tanking, this game should take the wind from their sails

62. Habbu says:

Does Molson even watch these games?

63. Chuck says:

Hey, they weren’t going to win ALL of their remaining games. A loss is as good a reason as any to start another 4-game winning streak.

64. HNS says:

At least DC lost.

65. timothy13 says:

I like the headline, Habs mount comeback, blow lead and L. Drag. But the Canes came out firing on all cylinders and wanted the W. Two former Habs had something to prove and they got the two points. Yes, and they leave the Bell Centre with smiles. All is not lost with tonight’s game because Habs are still playing good hockey. The streak was nice while it lasted. This team is building character like they have been doing for many years but revenge is on the minds of former Habs. Former Habs take a bittersweet pill often and the Habs swallow. Not cool. This team still has work to do because the Bruins are next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Habs go!!

66. rogieshan says:

Desharnais will learn next time when to use finesse and when to just get the puck to the net.

I know Cunneyworth is trying to reward Plekanec for his play of late, but the guy rarely wins an important face-off or puck battles along the boards.

• smiler2729 says:

I’ve been bitching about Plekanec for years, NEVER wins faceoffs when he needs to most.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

67. matt jordan says:

why is Kaberle on this team? He’s a Toronto Maple Leaf, its where his heart his. And he won a Cup with the Bruins.

Good trade Gauthier, brilliant.

Here’s a ranking or the NHL’s coach/GM combos:

68. mtlny says:

Come on guys , we will beat the Bruins and get the parade plans back in order

69. Da Hema says:

That was a cheap penalty called against Campoli….

70. AnimalMother says:

This team is the biggest joke in the NHL period!
    Gauthier must have been sniffing glue for 10-20 years of his life in order to go out and actually trade FOR Kaberle. He is the worst defenseman/Signing by PG. RC also needs his credit, great idea to put Gomez out there for the last power play. GENIUS ABSOLUTE GENIUS.

71. duffy says:

Half the players on this team need to be gone next season.

72. Marc10 says:

Well Cunney… explain Gomez.

That makes no sense. You have a lazy power forward in AK sitting on the bench and a useless tiny playmaker in Gomez. Who do you use?

Hmm… Who has scored more goals? Hell, you could substitute AK for any forward. Who do you use?

73. jedimyrmidon says:

Exciting game.

Too bad the Habs blew yet another third period lead. Two PP goal: great! Allowed another shortie: bad. And why did the PK have to fall tonight? Ah well, fits the theme of things going wrong at the wrong time.

74. aj says:

From the start before the game, I already knew this is not going to be good when Cunneyworth decided to scratch White and Schultz.

I’m starting to question Gauthier’s mindset again as to why he traded Spacek for Kaberle. That could’ve been our PP goal if it wasn’t for our ‘brilliant’ GM who did the damage last year.

In my strong opinion, there are only 2 Habs players right now who deserve to be traded, and that is Tomas Kaberle and Chris Campoli. The rest, DON’T TRADE THEM!

75. Habbu says:

Amazing………these third period collapses……..all season long….