Liveblog: Canadiens lose shootout but get a well-deserved point

Perreault

And maybe more.
After battling to 2-2 in regulation, the Canadiens and Caps played through a scoreless overtime period.
On to the shootout.

Hendricks: Goal. He’s 5-for-6

Desharnais: Save

Ovechkin: Save

Pacioretty: Miss

Semin: Goal

1. boing007 says:

Boone: Ryan White and Tomas Kaberle have the flu.

Does that qualify as an upper body injury?

Richard R

2. Mike D says:

Hoping you guys can help me out:

I don’t watch L’antichambre because a) I don’t parlez vous fluently enough, and b) my impression is that they are mostly a bunch of bitter, blowhard, out-of-work coaches with a constant axe to grind and some political agendas.

I know Vinny D frequents the show quite a bit, and if I remember correctly, he bitches about Subban a lot and has even advocated trading him.

Is this true?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• alwayssunny says:

“b) my impression is that they are mostly a bunch of bitter, blowhard, out-of-work coaches with a constant axe to grind and some political agendas”

haha so true. Why wouldn’t anyone get that impression?

• boing007 says:

You could try pressing the mute button and activating the closed captions. That might help. It helped Bill.

Richard R

• Un Canadien errant says:

No, he didn’t ‘advocate’ trading him. Nobody did. Nobody actively wanted to get rid of him. It was discussed that maybe we should trade him, to get something big in return, since we have no other trading chips. Vincent might have been one of those guys. But nobody was advocating getting rid of him, like happened with Scott Gomez and Andrei Kostitsyn and other targets of frustration.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• foghorn11 says:

ithout a doubt a bob hartly paddy roy combination with assistant gm to handle cap issues continue molson boycott till habs prevail

t lett

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if the stars are aligned :), Radulov = Free Agent; Zach Parise = Free Agent; + Galchenyuk
    …yum yum ! :)

First: Galchenyuk, Radulov, Parise
    Second: DD, Cole, Patches
    Third: Pleks, LL, Eller (Moen)
    Fourth: White, Blunden, Moen (Staubitz)

…how do THOSE rock Your socks ??? :)

Edit: hmmm …mea culpa, one little-bitty ‘oversight’ …gionta ? hmmm, I say sheepishly :)
    _________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!

• Mike D says:

No interest in Radulov. He’s made it quite clear that money is his #1 priority.

Parise I like a lot. He’s an exceptional talent but will cost somewhere in the 8mil range and while I’m not a “Size-ist”, he’d be another smaller forward on a team that already has Gio and DD in their top 6.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m hoping Zach will come much more reasonably than $ 8 mil (I would not pay Him more than $ 7 mil) …and ‘hoping’ :) He may like the idea of joining His fellow Yanks of Cole, Gionta and Patches

• Mike D says:

Unfortunately I think it will take a lot more than hope for the premier (and only) true offensive talent in this year’s UFA pool to come to a team that not only finished last in the east, but had a classless mockery of a season, and a city that’s mired in language and political issues which impact the hockey team, in the province/state with the highest taxes in the league.

It’s nice to dream though :-)

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Zach is son of J-P Parise …I’m only speculating out of My rear-end at the moment and ‘hoping’ like You say …’hoping’ He is a Hab Fan at heart, and maybe, We have no idea, but maybe intrigued about playing with 3 other above-average Americans like Cole, Patches & Gionta

…also, I believe other players coming on the market in the summer are smart enough to see that things will dramatically different with change of GM and Coaches

…anyhow, this is ‘the time’ to be opptimistic :)

• Cal says:

I especially hate his blade twirling crap after he scores.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Cal, mon ami, ALL I want is SOMEONE to score !!! …don’t give a Flyin’ Frig WHAT ??? He does with His stick after doing so :)

4. Dulljerk says:

Nice to see the Habs didn’t mail one in (like a lot of so-called fans on this site would like). Good effort, and glad to see Markov play well.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I said below My choice, if We had the third choice behind Columbus and Edmonton, would be Galchenyuk
    …yet :) , My choice for Head Coach is Roy (Robinson and Carbonneau as assts., or Hal Gill in lieu of Robinson, depending on availabilities) …GM = Brisebois because We will need a cap-genius to deal with anchor contracts over next couple years, and Trevor Timmons as asst GM
    …though My draft selection would be Galchenyuk, if My choice of Roy as Coach is realized, it would be interesting whether Patrick will ‘insist’ on Grigorenko

• HabFab says:

I’m waiting to be surprised, pleasantly I hope ;)

• Bripro says:

I agree with every single selection of yours except one.
      Roy. I don’t want to see him as coach. Don’t get me wrong, he’s multi-talented, but he’s too volatile.
      He and Subban will blow. He and Price will probably disagree.
      And since the general impression is that he would like direct access to young Mr. Molson, they that wouldn’t bode well for Brisebois.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think We underestimate Roy as far as personal skills with His Players …I have read good things on Patrick’s teaching and motivation skills
        …Patrick is ‘excitable’ though, and another good reason not to give GM to Pierre McGuire …Pierre + Patrick would be too hyper, and at some point would explode over who is top media dog

• yehaken says:

I find the characterisation of BriseBois as a cap genius to be hilarious. Anyone with the technological prowess to, say, post on this site could, if it was one’s job, come up with a spreadsheet to figure out cap impacts. Basic–and I’m talking Grade 7 basic–math is what you need.

The sad reality is that in the NHL, they haven’t yet realised that for a GM, a college degree and/or business experience is much more relevant than a glorious NHL career. BriseBois has that experience, but why not evaluate him against others who are actually qualified instead of calling him a genius just because he didn’t leave highschool at age 14 to play junior?

My

6. Mike D says:

Minny gets the win and the 2 points. Habs now have a 3 point buffer on 3rd last. Now we just have to hope Edmonton can go on a little run to end the season and hope we finish 29th.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

7. Bripro says:

Off topic for an instant.
    The Impact played a great first half today, but N.Y.’s Thierry Henry is one hell of a player. He has 8 of their team’s 10 goals.
    And in an interview, he gave full credit for Montreal’s effort, and should have been leading 3-1 at the half instead of 2-2.
    With the ref’s screw up, they lost 5-2.

• PrashadHabs says:

Yea, that missed ref call got them frusterated. They should have been up 2-1 and not tied 2-2. For a new team, their effort was just thrown away because of one bad call that changed the entire outlook of the game.

• alwayssunny says:

Thierry will never be a friend of Irish football fans, that’s for sure. What an exciting player though, glad to see him in MLS. A shame he will be remembered by many for a bad goal, and to his credit I dont think he ever said it was a good goal. What are you supposed to do as a player, overrule the referee and argue that it wasnt a goal? Reminds me of the Habs, if it wasn’t for the poor officiating…

8. naweed235 says:

anybody knows an old gypsy lady I could get in touch with regarding the draft lottery? I got the chicken blood and everything…
    lol but jokes aside, I have a good feeling about that lottery… After a miserable season like this, you gotta think that we deserve to get the 1st overall…

• Mike D says:

Don’t know about that. Edmonton doesn’t even deserve to have an NHL franchise but they’ve gotten the 1st overall pick the last two years running.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

9. boing007 says:

Mr. Boone,
    You forgot to set your computer clock one hour forward.

Richard R

10. Bripro says:

OK so Tremblay was babbling during the intermissions on RDS and now he’s babbling on L’Antichambre. What a buffoon! He’s a one-trick pony.

• Mike D says:

I’d love to see Tremblay as coach if Roy becomes GM. Salivating at the thought of Roy going up to Geoff Molson halfway through the first period of the first game of the season and telling Geoff that Mario has coached his last game as a Montreal Canadien.

Tremblay is a douche extraodinaire.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Bripro says:

I don’t mean to take away his days as a player.
        I liked him, he was gritty, and hated to lose.
        But my opinion of him changed on that dark day, when Roy walked right by him to tell Corey “bye bye”.
        You could see how Tremblay’s ego was front and centre.
        He was a terrible coach, and he’s a terrible analyst.
        He should retire and let us remember him for how he played.

11. Bill H says:

Go Minnie! 2 points for Minnie.

Hey, if we pick third in the draft, who should we pick?

Alex Galchenyuk or Mikhail Grigorenko?

• Mark C says:

Galchenyuk.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…yup, if # 3 …Galchenyuk

• Bill H says:

That’s the way I am leaning too. But since he has been out all season, it kinda depends how he does in the playoffs.

I’d be nervous about picking another lazy Russian. At least his initials won’t be AK.

• Mike D says:

Galchenyuk is of Russian heritage, but was born in the US.
          Also…not all Russians are lazy. There’s plenty of lazy Canadians and Americans too.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Clay says:

seriously – enough with the racism. Branding a whole nation as ‘lazy’ is reprehensible.

__________________________
          ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

Thanks Clay, saved me from writing the same thing.

• Bill H says:

Easy there Clay. Perhaps my wording was not the best. I’d gladly take Ovechkin or Malkin. I was referring to our recent experiences with Kovalev and Kostitsyn x 2(and I know Kostitsyn is not Russian, but he is from that part of the world). We’ve had our fair share of (Bela)Russians with lots of talent that couldn’t their act together.

Apologies if I offended.

• Bripro says:

Grabovsky, Malahov…

• boing007 says:

It’s not Racism, it’s CherrySpeak.

Richard R

• athanor says:

And there you touched on one of my peeves. AK is not 4 goals and 5 assists (plus a game-winning shootout goal) in 14 games with Nashville.

That puts him up to 33 points this season, and that would put him sixth in scoring on the Habs, tied for fourth in goal scoring. Of course he would not have got the ice time in Montreal.

Man, that bugs me.

• He’s had a little bit of motivation since leaving Mtl. Let’s see if it lasts; we all know he went through stretches where he put up a few points, then disappeared. You can’t use 14 games as a meaningful measuring stick of the success or failure of the move.

DDonais

• Mark C says:

Anyone who returns within a season from ACL surgery isn’t lazy.

• Mike D says:

I’d say Grigorenko if he’s still available. EDM needs D but there’s no guarantee they’ll pass over a good forward to draft for organizational needs. We can hope though!

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Bill H says:

Off the charts talent with questionable desire. Yikes. Its a gamble.

Wasn’t Pouliot third pick?

• Mike D says:

I had that concern after reading that one scouting report too, but have read a few other scouting reports and responses to that one report where his work ethic isn’t a concern at all.

I have faith that Timmins will make the right call.

Pouliot was 4th overall I believe. Jack Johnson was 3rd.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Yakupov. Not injured, strong forward, ready to go.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Mike D says:

I doubt he’ll be available at 3rd overall. He’s been the consensus #1 pick for well over a year on every list I’ve read….even before last year’s draft. Much like how Nathan MacKinnon is looking right now for next year’s draft.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

Minnie ties it in 3rd.

EDIT: Wow. Nashville down 4-0 to Chicago just tied it. It’s now 4-4.

• Bill says:

Frig.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I am sure it was just an oversight on your part, but St. Louis was also down 3-0, they pulled a goalie who gave up 3 and are now back in the game 3-2 against those power house BlueJackets.

• HardHabits says:

3-1 when they yanked Halak. It’s 4-2 now. Who would have thunk that the best team in the league could lose a game or that the worst team in the league could win one, especially when playing each other.

Good news is I bet big time on Columbus tonight. :-D

13. Bripro says:

To sum it up, the team played a solid effort, and the top players showed up. Then answer me this.
    Does RC have something against Pleks?
    He scored a bute tonight, and doesn’t get to participate in the shoot-out.
    And let’s be honest, Max is a great player, but he’s not a deeker,
    and as such shouldn’t be in the shoot-out.
    But RC could have rewarded Pleks by making him not only participate, but go first.

14. Bill H says:

Leafs got 2 points tonight. Minnesota is down one goal in the third. I want a top 3 pick.

15. novahab says:

Lets clear something up PG was not fired he quit. He was told Roy will be coaching and he will have full say on all personal. PG could not agree and niether could Gainey and they both resigned. Now Savard is looking for a smart cap man that can handle the contracts and the day to day of running the team. Roy will have full say on all players if not he will not come. I said this 1 month ago wll before Bob Mackenzie said it on the TSN panel. If you don’t belive me then you might Bob he has a pretty good record But I announce it first. Just as I announce when Markov was coming back.

• Bill says:

You and a million other people announced Roy would be coach. We’ll see if you and a million other people are right. Or wrong. Could you and a million other people give me some tips on lottery numbers?

Full Breezer 4 Life

I just hope his shoulder is okay, most people would seperate it with that kind of self pats on the back.

• ZepFan2 says:

What? I thought it was McGuire by a country mile?! :wink:

———————————————————————-
        “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• Bripro says:

I’d help you out there Bill, but since I intend on winning the big one, I’ll have to pass. Sorry.

As for nova’s commentary, as soon as I started to read it, a serious draft came rushing through here. I wonder how many mirrors he has.

• novahab says:

Here is your tip on the lottery now listen closely because I don’t think snarts is your strong suit. If you buy a ticket you will lose your money that’s a fact. I told everyone on here when Markov was coming back two weeks before the hack did. Now I am telling you Roy is the coach unless they do something stupid like not giving him control of personal. I don’t think that going to happen. Now when you see Roy at the draft table think about my good advise to you about buying lottery tickets.

THere is something ironic about you questioning someone else’s “Snarts”. :)

• Bripro says:

I second that :D !

• novahab says:

Wow you got me, what a come back. My god your a frigging Genius.That is something someone with a IQ of 79 would say to Einstien after he explained the theory of realitivity or you could just be a American GOP lol.

Come on Nova, you have to admit it is funny. I am not trying to be a prick about it, it is just funny.

• ZepFan2 says:

What are “snarts”? Are they sneaky farts?

———————————————————————-
          “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• Bill says:

I have often pondered on this very matter, and I believe it is indubitably so that my chief flaw is indeed a lack of snarts. If only I had a staff, some personal, as it were, to offer me good advise. I don’t think that going to happen though.

Again, if Roy is named coach, as is certainly within the realm of possibility, you are just one in a throng of about a million who will have predicted it. Are you seriously acting like you are the only one saying it will happen?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• novahab says:

I just told yes, did I not. Roy is the next coach of the Montreal Canadiens. Then agian who am I just a guy with very little snarts lol.

• Old Bald Bird says:

When you pat yourself on the back like that, what hurts more, your shoulder or your elbow? You have quite an Ego, for no good reason it would seem.

• alwayssunny says:

WTF are you talking about? He was fired.

16. HabsBeen says:

Was there any doubt?

With no natural goal scorers on this team, it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Habs will lose in a shootout. They just don’t have a natural goal scorer on this team. Last one being Kovalev. Kostitsyn came close.

Canada crowns Stirling-Rawdon with the title of Kraft Hockeyville 2012
    By Kraft Canada: Kraft Hockeyville
    Published: Saturday, Mar. 31, 2012 – 7:55 am

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/31/4380854/canada-crowns-stirling-rawdon.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

18. Nina76 says:

They say that Gainey left because Gauthier was fired, not so ……Ganiey left because he knew that whoever the new Coach & GM will be he would not be able to control the new staff like he did Gauthier……….yes he was a good player I watched him play in 1935 .A player he is a GM NOT!!!This is my opion he is still thinking way back when he was playing. Things have changed let’s get on with the new

10 minutes north of Belleville is Sterling. Now hockeyville!!!

The buzzer has sounded, the votes are in and the news is official – Stirling-Rawdon is Kraft Hockeyville 2012. After weeks of determined campaigning, culminating with a national vote to select the winner, Stirling-Rawdon has earned the title of Canada’s most passionate hockey community

Votes
    Ontario Stirling-Rawdon, Ontario Stirling District Recreation Centre 3,986,769
    Pacific West Kelowna, British Columbia Royal LePage Place 2,789,594
    Quebec Amos, Quebec Complexe Sportif De Amos 2,207,511
    Atlantic Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Mariners Centre 1,655,475
    West Duck Lake, Saskatchewan Beardy’s Memorial Arena 903,260

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I would pull for West Duck Lake
      …WDL at a disadvantage of small population …but its communities like WDL that more need Krafts’ dollars, than affluent ones like S-R Ian

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

I am sure the locations that win have nothing to do with being near a population base that would purchase more Kraft products. ;-)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…based on votes Gerald, whether they buy Krafts’ products or not
          …how can a small reserve compete ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

I am cynical of how the voting process works, and even if it is based on votes, doesn’t that still just reward the community with the largest Population base which is interested?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that’s what I’m saying Gerald …I am sure WDL needs help and encouragement for their hockey programs and facilities more than S-R
            …WDL may have as much hockey passion in it’s small community, but there is no realistic way to compete in Hockeyville because of a remote small out-of-the-mainstream population
            …just Me, but would be a more ‘feel-good’ if WDL won :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

I am in complete agreement with you Chris. Dundas won it a few years back, nice town between Burlington and Hamilton. They did a wonderful job refurbishing the arena. But again, it was essentially a GTA community.

• Ian Cobb says:

Always the business man Gerald!!

• Ian Cobb says:

Chris–I am the only one around here that is fluent and affluent my friend!
        (affluent ones like S-R Ian )

20. habsfan0 says:

With tonight’s loss to the Laffs, Buffalo sports fans are turning their attention to the start of the Bills season…which starts at about the same time as hockey training camp.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…any good fights ?

22. Phil C says:

The Rangers have to be praying for the Caps instead of the Sabres.

23. Bripro says:

Francois Gagnon’s on AntiChambre.
    Time to go plant myself in front of the TV.
    Good game, didn’t collect too many points.
    Laffs gained one on us.
    Now, if only the Oilers could win a couple.

24. naweed235 says:

I think finding players that can score during shoot outs should be just as important of a priority as any going into next season! How many S.O losses do they have this season? I’m sure those extra points would be the difference between the basement and a playoff spot if not very close!

25. novahab says:

Washington can blame Hendrick for this being turned into a game. The Habs were prepared to go quietly in this one. Then the idoit tried to take Pleks head of with a cheap elbow. Even the refs decided to call some on the Caps and they didn’t want to. Good for the Habs they show some stuff tonight. They will need to bring that to camp if they want to play next year Roy is not taking any free riders.

26. matt jordan says:

Nearly clinched the 15th spot in the east!
    C’mon Habs you can do it!

I can’t believe Gauthier got fired after putting together this group.

You gotta hand it to them. They wont give up being mediocre without a fight.

Mike McPhee on the CBC right now, no more mustache?

29. Boone, close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades. Eller had a wide open net, but he’ll get those as he improves.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

30. Stev.R says:

Stamkos going to finish with the fewest amount of assists since his rookie year. Rough season for him

31. Mark C says:

For the love of Galchenyuk, thank goodness the Habs didn’t get the extra point.

32. ZepFan2 says:

I guess Pleks scoring that beauty goal disqualifies him from being in the shoot out.

Bye-bye Cunneyworth!

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just got home …have I missed anything ? :)

34. Kimberly2u says:

We are Doomed if little David doesn’t score in a shoot out

35. Habbu says:

It’s getting to the point that teams need to recruit a shootout specialist.

36. Sportfan says:

Right now in the next three games if we lose one more and the leafs get at least 1 more point we will be last place and won’t be able to pass the leafs. Which means we can end the season with a win against the Leafs and still have a better chance at a top 3 pick

The Winnipeg Jets playoff hopes are mathematically over. Too bad.

38. danhabsfan says:

Decent effort… terrible ShootOut again

39. JIMVINNY says:

That’s right, Dale. You just got outplayed for the majority of the game by a 15th place team. You know damn well that you are lucky to get two points.

40. Mondou6 says:

The Caps should raise a banner for each regular season win, since they’ll never win the Cup.

41. Bill says:

Wow, Price sucks in the shoot-out … oh wait, wrong night.

Full Breezer 4 Life

42. jedimyrmidon says:

They gotta stop using Max Pac in shootouts… or maybe they don’t really want to win… Ah well…

43. Clay says:

I hate that we got a point out of that, despite kind of enjoying the game…

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

44. disgustedhabsfan says:

Tanks a lot.

How many times in the shootout have we had a gooseegg? Amazing how poorly our shooters have been in the Gimmick.

46. L Elle says:

They need to practice The Gimmick over the summer.

Oh well, they made it exciting.

47. shootdapuck says:

Cunnywoth’s shoot out choices ever an adventure!

48. Propwash says:

Oh well, pretty good game nonetheless.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

49. Boy do we suck in shootouts…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

50. JIMVINNY says:

Budaj didn’t bite on the usual Hendricks fake, but couldn’t stop the actual shot.

51. L Elle says:

DD didn’t score – DOOOOOOMED again

52. How’d that go in. Budaj followed him and the five hole.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

53. slapshot777 says:

No matter what the outcome tonight the Habs played a spirited game after getting in late for this game. They played better tonight than last night.

54. Mondou6 says:

Why does every game we play end up in The Gimmick lately?