Liveblog: Canadiens lose shootout but get a well-deserved point

Perreault

And maybe more.
After battling to 2-2 in regulation, the Canadiens and Caps played through a scoreless overtime period.
On to the shootout.

Hendricks: Goal. He’s 5-for-6

Desharnais: Save

Ovechkin: Save

Pacioretty: Miss

Semin: Goal

1. Bripro says:

Why is Mario Tremblay still on RDS?
    The guy couldn’t coach, and he can do colour commentary even less.
    Since the Habs have pretty much dumped everyone they could this year, it’s RDS’ turn to fire Tremblay….bye bye.

2. shootdapuck says:

How bad is the CBC Laff bias?

The HNIC iPhone app spews out notifications for Laff games only and it cannot be changed only shut off!

Pathetic!

3. It’s about time the Leafs are doing anything. I’m sure old man blowhard is jumping out of his tighty whities. Can’t even watch that fool anymore and the HNIC lapdogs. More fun on RDS.

• gumper says:

My favourite tonight, regarding Montreal’s GM decision, “I don’t know who they’re gonna hire, and I don’t care.”

Incisive commentary from a guy who really knows hockey.

• Puke worthy and tax dollars are going to keep this wretched old bloviater employed. They should dump him first, Mario on RDS at least makes some sense and dresses far better.

4. j0nHABS says:

What was PG thinking signing a guy purely on what his grandfather and great grandfather did. Thank god that PG is gone!

5. Xkhann says:

I’d like for Montreal to offer David Perron an offer sheet in the vicinity of 3.75-4.25/per and PA Parenteau for somewhere around 3.25, Im sure with a top draft pick this year our 1st rounder will be okay to give STL for Perron…is PA unrestricted? Two great young deadly snipers this team – and a certain annoying fanbase (sheesh they’re like bratty younger siblings!) – would absolutely rock with! Let’s do it (soon-to-be) GM!

6. Washington doesn’t seem to want this and their playing to get into the Playoffs. Yup, I agree with Kim, they won’t last long. It’s St. Louis, Vancouver, the Rangers and Pittsburgh. I don’t think Boston will go deep, but they’ll take some players out with their dirt, Chicago won’t go deep, goaltending is off, Ottawa will be fodder, LA or San Jose will be ground meat, Buffalo whine too much and can’t stand-up to tough play. Who’s gonna take it?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

If Bryzgalov is hot I wonder about the Flyers.

• True. ‘Course his foot being fractured is a problem and the Flyers haven’t been able to keep that part of their team solid. If they play the way they have then they’ll be tough and they’ll have to throw the bodies around. The Playoffs are just as much about being physical as skilled. That’s what hurt the Canucks last year and helped the Booins win by laying bodies out all series long.

• Bripro says:

I will venture to guess, the winner of the finals between St Louis and Pittsburg.

Good effort from the boys tonight.

8. club_de_hockey says:

LOL @ Rene Bourque killing the Caps!

Better than killing you softly with his play, eh Booner?

;)

9. j0nHABS says:

Geoffrion sucks!

10. Habbu says:

Agreed I see the AHL in Geoffrion’s future

11. 69HABS says:

Nice way to get a stop in play!

12. The Stig says:

Well, leafs got another one. Don’t like seeing them win, but hey… They’re doing the Habs a favor.

13. slapshot777 says:

@ Habsolutely

+ 1

14. Pucknut says:

A lot less scrums & cross-checking of our players after the play

15. LL missed an open net? Hmmm… hands will get better as he gets more ice.

16. L Elle says:

Emmy making it tough for Ovie. love it.

17. habsfan0 says:

3-1 Laffs. Ruff not amused.

18. Budaj, one more year. Rebounds are big and hands are cement. Why couldn’t we have kept Halak? I like Eller, Auld wasn’t too bad for us last year, this year he sucks for Ottawa, but Budaj? Makes me nervous all the time.

19. Pucknut says:

The Caps tried to intimidate our D (Subban). Then Staubitz roughs up Green just to send the message back. Seems to have worked

20. slapshot777 says:

Nice goal by Pleks, made Hamrlik look really slow there just like going around a pylon.

I see Hendricks didn’t want to fight Staubitz there. I wonder why, a few minutes ago he was fine to go with PK. Gutless, I guess is what Hendricks is. Picks his fights.

• Pucknut says:

He got pasted by Bourque his first game with Habs. He’s a lightweight

• Bill says:

Hendricks shouldn’t have to fight a goon just because he wanted to fight a guy who slashed him.

I mean, there shouldn’t be fighting at all, but I’m trying here.

Hendricks and Subban are about the same size, and both hockey players. Hendricks had reason to be pissed. Why should he fight Staubitz?

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. Bertuzzi says:

Plekanec goes around Hamrlik no less. Circles within circles….

22. Kimberly2u says:

Can’t see the Caps lasting long in the play offs

23. Mark C says:

And some people are still upset that PG didn’t sign Hammer. Blows ones mind.

24. shootdapuck says:

What do you bet Plecks has made the same move on Hamrlik in practice 100 times!

25. Forechecking people. Yes, it’s tiring but it makes it worth while.

26. jo_maka says:

Pleks still got WSH’s number :)
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

27. Phil C says:

That Pleks goal looked like a Cole move.

28. The Stig says:

Sweet!!! Just as I register, Plekanec ties it. What a time for my first post, eh?

29. That’s the Plekanec that we know! Hope he plays like that next year.

30. Mondou6 says:

Seriously? We’re going to get more points now?

We fail at failing.

Woohoo!!! Nice finish by Plex, nice to see.

32. jedimyrmidon says:

Nice goal by Pleks!

33. punkster says:

Hmmm…not too shabby. Some good shifts and we tie it.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

34. Bill says:

Good for you, Pleks!

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. Propwash says:

PLECKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

36. Kimberly2u says:

Et le but

37. punkster says:

Hey, not too bad this period.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

38. Love Cole! Makes things happen!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

I hope people remember in his final year of his contract. Reality is his age will cause him to slow down somewhat by year 4 of this contract. I think he will still be useful and helpful, but will not be quite what we see today. I can only imagine the comments on this site then.

39. Pucknut says:

I hope that Saubitz stays. Hard nosed & decent wheels.

40. L Elle says:

Gotta give the boys credit in the 2nd.

Decimated with injuries. AHL and/or inexperienced players, and they are making it very tough on the Caps.

Or the Caps suck ;)

41. Here’s Staubitz getting rough with Green. Like his being ornery… Trying to get the Caps irritated, may work in our favor, may not…

42. Kimberly2u says:

I luv Staubitz

• Long overdue. Too bad White is out, he could step in for Subban. Everyone wants a piece of him, but they have to catch him first. Just like the after whistle stick in the visor. Are the refs really anti-Montreal or are they just bad for everyone?

43. Adidess says:

PK can’t keep fighting every guy who drops the gloves in front of him. He’s too important a player. Soon every team would use this to get him off the ice.

I like how physical he plays, he’s cut down on the after the whistle stuff, he shouldn’t have to fight every angry sob who engages him.

44. DD missed the net, but RDS is telling us that Montreal is frustrating the Caps in this period.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

45. Subban is a monster. Glad he’s on our team.

46. Propwash says:

Love being randomly logged out.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

47. Sigh! I can’t believe we’re that bad… Even the Islanders handed Pittsburgh their heads two days in a row. Our PK has been sucking, PP has and continues to suck and we aren’t taking any shots. How can we win if we don’t get any shots on goal?

• jo_maka says:

You can’t ?

On the real though, it won’t be too long. Once this season is done, we’re gonna enjoy spring a little differently, summer even more, and next winter is gonna be awesome.

Tanking can’t be advocated as a deliberate strategy. It is, however, a necessary and delightful serendipity. In 2013, Lord Stanley will come home. That’s what I drink to.

Cheers !!!
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

48. Power play goal? What’s that. Looks like they have the PP…

49. Adidess says:

Bill, Subban is not a goon. Get over it!

• Bill says:

Get over what? I’m not exactly the site’s biggest proponent of fighting, btw.

Hendricks isn’t a goon either. But Subban slashed him high, trash-talked him, engaged with him, and then when Hendricks dropped his gloves PK skated away.

That’s Claude Lemieux crap.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• gK_HabsFan says:

No… that’s – I am too important of a player for my team to fight a 3rd/4th line player and sit for 5 minutes.

-GK-

• Bill says:

Sometimes, it’s that with Subban … and I agree when it is that.

But this time, it was more like, I’m gonna slash you, I’m gonna trash you, but I will not fight you. I don’t like it. He doesn’t have to fight. Just don’t slash/trash.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• alwayssunny says:

“He doesn’t have to fight. Just don’t slash/trash.”

Bingo. I’m ok with the trashing actually. But if you wan’t to fool around with your stick and skates and run away every time you are confronted about it, then live with the reputation. I like P.K. he is the whole package talent wise. I like his flamboyance too, a lot of people don’t. I love his open ice hits on anyone, he doesn’t care who it is. Just hope he grows up a little bit and I’m sure he will.

• alwayssunny says:

Claude would go if he had to as for instance when Draper was “waiting for him”. He had quite a few fights. Many were of the “a guy is grabbing me and punching me in the face so I guess I have to” variety, but Claude could go when he had to. But I don’t disagree with you at all. P.K. does a lot of cheap stuff and talks a lot. That’s fine too, but don’t run away every time a guy wants to discuss it. I don’t want him to go with heavyweights. I’d rather he didn’t fight at all really. But if he is going to play the way he does then he is going to have to now and then, or else get perfectly fair comments like yours.

• alwayssunny says:

Jocelyn could really throw them. As poor a positional player as you could find. Had seemingly no interest in the puck. He just ran at people constantly. I’ll never forget a fight he had with poor old Harold Snepsts when Harold was playing out his career. I liked Jocelyn, but I wanted to see Harold kick his ass. But oh boy did Lemieux put a beating on him.

• Bill says:

I guess my most vivid memories of Lemieux fighting are of him turtling. I loved him as a hockey player, I just didn’t like his injury-faking or his passive-resistance during certain fights.

Again, I don’t even think there should be fighting. Subban should have been called for the stickwork, end of story.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• alwayssunny says:

Never got the impression that Claude liked to fight, that’s for sure. he had some famous turtles but he was strong as a horse and he handled himself well on occasion too. He was a character, I always liked him. Stuff like grabbing the opposing goalies’ water bottle and drinking out of it was priceless.

50. Love DD trying to hold onto Brouwer! He looked like a little kid not letting go ’cause he was afraid to get hit!

51. Bill says:

PK’s gonna get slagged for running away from Hendricks there. Probably should be.

Full Breezer 4 Life

52. Kimberly2u says:

Could we get a power play goal?

53. Bill says:

My deepest thanks to whomever suggested that I use the closed captions to help with my difficulties with some of the Quebec accents on RDS. Such a simple solution and what a difference it makes.

I know you might think I’m stupid for not understanding but I speak French with Acadians … it’s not the same thing!

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. habstrinifan says:

We need some excitement. I think Molson should fire someone. This is a weird season. The biggest HABS buzz came when someone was fired.

• So sad. Even the comments are light… not that it matters, but I’m sure we could use the loss for the lottery. Feel bad for guys like King Cole.

55. habstrinifan says:

I have never seen a HABS team play like this. Do you think they are really under orders to TANK.

I mean for that span of time before the last Washington PP no one challenged for the puck.

56. Mondou6 says:

Cherry shakes his fist and yells at those kids to get off his damn lawn: “Back in my day…Why I oughta…zzzzzzzzzzz”

57. Bill says:

Not complaining, but: I am pretty sure the Toronto Marlies get more mentions on HNIC’s Coach’s Corner than every Canadian team not named the Maple Leafs combined. Am I exaggerating? I don’t think so.

Again, I’m not outraged by this, I just can’t believe it gets put on TV. I didn’t watch, I just saw Boone mention that Cherry reviewed the Marlies again.

Full Breezer 4 Life

As frustrating as it may be to the rest of us hockey fans who don’t cheer for the Leafs, it is a reality. The CBC just like TSN and Rogers caters to Toronto. It is a numbers game, despite the Cross Canada funding they receive off our backs.

58. matt jordan says:

Ugh, i now know more about the Marlies than I ever wanted too. Mike Zigomanis… WHO CARES.

I want HNIC to do a Alex Henry feature.

59. Habbu says:

This just in from The Most Interesting Man in the World……”I don’t always watch the Habs; but when I do I get depressed”

60. slapshot777 says:

What a f..cking a$$hole Cherry is. Ron Maclean asked Cherry who he thought would be the next GM of the Habs,and for a self anointed expert on so called hockey matters, his only opinion is he doesn’t care and then continues to rant about his take on being French.

He tries to say that the Habs were stupid to hire RC without checking to see if he spoke French. Cherry got to be the biggest waste of money CBC ever spent on a color guy.

61. AceMagnum says:

It’s time for Cherry to expire

62. sreuel says:

Is this site now the cherry show ? Why bother Boone write what he says. Nothing to do during periods

Tremblay and Brunet been reading my comments.

64. twilighthours says:

It’s a tough call, but I might just head out for a beer and skip the rest of this. I’m sure it will be (craig) riveting, though.

Enjoy your evening, folks.

65. mrhabby says:

Another geezer rant.

McLean bends over to cherry.

66. Marc10 says:

That drive to the net by Patches that led to Cole’s goal is exactly what Bourque should (and could do).

They’re both big bodies with a solid shot who skate fast. Hell, that’s what AK46 should (and could) have done.

The Canadiens are at their best in a fast transition game. You’d think a guy like Bourque would thrive in that environment. Let’s hope that happens next year as we tweak (TM) the roster.

67. Bill says:

Sitting here in the dark, nothing but the TV is on here. Can’t find my remote or my phone and banged my shin on the coffee table.

Earth Hour sucks.

Full Breezer 4 Life

68. tote-road says:

Keeping with the Agnew theme (that’s Spiro, not Gary), the Caps are
    an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as playoff contenders.

69. Barts says:

Put your hand up if you think Markov is 100%. He’s laboring when he skates…what a waste of money.

70. HabFab says:

And the ouck is in the net :)
    Poor Boone even forgot how to spell it, been that long!!

71. ZepFan2 says:

Psst … Mike, it’s 2-1 after one.

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

72. kempie says:

Cole is an absolute beast! 32! Imagine if this was a good team with a good PP, the damage he could do. Pacs has turned into an animal too.

But seriously, here. I’m all for embracing the Tanque, but damn it’s tiring. I’m really quite exhausted with it. We’d better get a top 3 outta this. This game could be 7-0 easily.

siiiiiiiiiigh

73. Hobie Hansen says:

Now that was a nice rush by Pacioretty on the tap in goal by Cole.

To all the posters including Mr. Boone who continue to slag Markov, you do realize he just came back from back to back surgeries and hasn’t really played in two years. It just might take more than 10 games to get back to his top form.

Edit: Sorry just a bit tired of people expcting the Old Markov to be back already!

75. Propwash says:

Well, the way the Habs were playing, they’re fortunate to be down by one.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.