Liveblog: Tough loss

DDCamm

Your Montreal Canadiens blew a 3-1 lead and lost 4-3.
Marc-André Bergeron and Vincent Lecavalier scored third-period goals, and the Canadiens were beaten for the 14th time in a game they led.
Mathieu Garon was spectacular.
Carey Price wasn’t.

The loss dropped the Canadiuens into 12th place in the Eastern Conference … and Carolina is getting close.

MORNING SKATE AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Hal Gill | Josh Gorges | Raphael Diaz | Martin St. Louis | Mathieu Garon | Tom Pyatt

1. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Not upset about this loss at all. I much prefer seeing them go down while trying to win rather than clinging desperately to a lead and struggling not to lose. They played with heart and spark and speed. I love the changes Randy C has made, and the players seem to relish the loosening of the reins. If we can tighten up in our own end a bit, and Carey can manage to stay focused for a full 60 minutes, then we’ll be a tough team to play against.

Bravo Habs!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

2. Bill says:

Lecavalier first star LOL only on RDS, you provincial goddamn morons.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Les Canayens says:

If RDS broadcasts every Tampa games, with the way the team goes with all the (overpaid) home talents and Boucher as coach? They’ll blast them faster and longer because they’re one of their own.

☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

3. Mondou6 says:

“Garon has been great”…Really? Or is it more that we have no goal scorers?

4. bellcentre hotdog says:

Garon was great.
    Carey was not.
    End of story.

5. sims says:

thanks refs. next time take me out to dinner first
    cartman says it best:

6. SlovakHab says:

Ah and Toronto gets a point.
    Worst season I can remember – we are worse than Bruins AND Leafs!

7. Big Bird says:

Couple of cents from the peanut gallery:

(1) We have a foundation to build on – with Price in nets, Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Beaulieu, Diaz, Tinordi and then LeBlanc, Bournival, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller up front.

(2) Get rid of Pierre Gauthier and bring back Andre Savard as General Manager. Savard did a better job than Gainey and Gauthier. He knows how to draft properly, trade and develop young talent. Gauthier is operating scared and making decisions to save his job.

(3) Once you have a good general manager in place, get rid of the veterans by or before the trade deadline for picks and prospects and clear salary cap space if you can get any takers for Gomez, Gill, Kaberle, Gionta and Camalleri. They are good players but our team needs a complete overhaul. I don’t mention Markov as I feel he won’t play hockey again.

(4) Then get a a good coach who can work with young talent. Bring Larry Robinson in as a coach or assistant coach but our defencemen need a steady hand and Randy Ladouceur is not it. I can’t evaluate Cunneyworth as he doesn’t have much to work with and hasn’t coached enough. Sadly, I don’t think he’ll be around next year.

(5) I’m tired of the team making the playoffs but the skin of their team and sitting in mediocrity. Time to blow up the team and wait 5 years.

Although the team lost – it was nice watching and blogging a game with everyone here. It’s been too long. :)

• habs-fan-84 says:

This Andre Savard nonsense has to stop; immediately.

• Bill says:

1) Price has been pretty damn average, Subban has struggled, and Gorges is extremely overrated. Pacioretty has been hot and cold. As for the rest, they are unproven to say the least.

2) You base this rave review of Andre Savard on what? Drafting Plekanec? Because he didn’t do much else.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Big Bird says:

(1) If we didn’t have Price in nets I suspect our performance would be a lot worse this year. Subban will rebound as he’s young and the same for Pacioretty and Eller. The rest are unproven but there is a core to build around.

(2) I think Andre Savard was a good GM and he drafted some other good players such as Komisarek, Higgins and Halak. The players didn’t turn out great later but were promising the beginning. He also made trades such as Zednik, Bullis and 1st R (Perezhogin) to Washington for Linden and Zubrus. But if you have another suggestion for GM – I’d love to hear it.

• Bill says:

Well, if you’re going in for retreads, even Gainey was better than Savard. I mean, compliments to Savard for the Zednik deal – kidding, it wasn’t that great – but he didn’t do much in his limited time.

I’d stick with PG. He’s been on the job for even less time than Savard had, and made a couple of good trades and a really good signing.

If I have to nominate someone else, I nominate Claude Loiselle.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

I love how in one paragraph you praise the foundation which was built by both BG and PG and then in the very next paragraph you propose getting rid of the very same people who laid that foundation. Hilarious.

• Big Bird says:

You want to keep Pierre Gauthier? I’d rather get rid of him and keep Trevor Timmins who drafted all of the pieces of that foundation. But I suspect we’ll agree to disagree mon ami.

8. topher5468 says:

Bad efin loss, no excuses for blowing a 3-1 lead, after that BS 2 nd goal all downhill from there

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

9. Bill says:

Outshot TB 34-22 on the road … got three goals. They didn’t get outplayed, I wouldn’t say, but that’s a hard two points to lose.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. rogieshan says:

Plekanec shouldn’t be taking must-win faceoffs for this team.

Not one of Eller’s better games.

Wyman’s goal was soft.

Emelin is fun to watch.

11. duffy says:

Price needs to take full blame for this loss, with a 3-1 lead he let’s in three softies.

12. JF says:

We may as well give up any idea of making the playoffs. I think that’s about 15 leads we’ve blown this season. We’re now in 13th place and still falling.

13. Danno says:

Scoring just as time ran out is just adding insult to injury

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. SlovakHab says:

Cool. Nice game, boys.

All I know is that a good team like Boston or Chicago would have won 6-2, with their backup in nets.

We are extremely far from being an elite team. Season over. Get rid of overpaid veterans, draft early and often in 2012.

15. Propwash says:

Suivant next.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

16. danhabsfan says:

Do you realize that most teams start their back-up goalies, and still beat the Habs… we need scorers

17. JohnBellyful says:

Exciting finish … but still a huge disappointment.
    Even more disappointing than the knitted socks with connecting string I got for Christmas.

18. idle says:

What the hell happened at the very end there??

19. HFX-HabFan says:

No doubt we will hear about all the “superior” francophone talent down in Tampa for the next month.

20. JIMVINNY says:

SO sick of the BS. Yeah, the team on the ice had to blow it, but it doesn’t happen if the NHL doesn’t gift two goals to the lightning.

21. durocher says:

Well, they didn’t give up, and they didn’t suck. I guess that’s an improvement.

22. JasonM says:

That 2nd goal changed the momentum completely.

23. Danno says:

That one hurt

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

24. Mondou6 says:

We stink.

Not the players’ fault, they just aren’t good enough. Not the coach’s fault either.

Who’s responsible for getting the players? Oh yeah, the GM.

25. Trisomy 21 says:

Typical. Can’t hold onto a lead, can’t score on their best opportunities especially when it counts. And my hopes for Gallagher are becoming grim, I think he has skill but his size prevents him from being effective against stronger opponents than what’s in the WHL

26. Bill says:

Can’t win faceoffs/battles

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. Mavid says:

wonder if the guy in the detroit jersey knows he is at a TB Habs game

second place is just the first loser

28. Rad says:

That play is exactly why Pleks is not a great player. Just a good 2-way center, but he’s not clutch.

29. Bill says:

Could’ve been …

Full Breezer 4 Life

30. habstrinifan says:

Please let’s stop blaming individuals. I dont think any player committed a real stupid play tonight. This type of game shows what the team is missing. A line that can go out and grind momentum away from the other team.

31. Bertuzzi says:

How come the coach isn’t changing the lines?

32. SlovakHab says:

well they’re just not that good.. Let’s call this season over and get some picks at the deadline..

33. showey47 says:

Well,here is our chance.

34. Bill says:

I’ll settle for a shot.

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. durocher says:

There’s the PP — refs had no chance to deny us that one

Here we go!

37. JIMVINNY says:

Cole tripped AGAIN.

Whatever. Tampa was never going to lose this game. NHL has made that clear.

38. Toe Blake says:

Great game. Keep up the good work. Man it is sad to say that in the world of professional hockey, except for subsidizing other franchises, the Montreal Canadiens have in fact become irrelevant.

39. Habsbill24 says:

This loss is on Carey. Three weak goals. Plus Ex Hab gets tying goal. Ex Hab Moore and Wyman assist on winning goal. ex Hab Wyman gets critical late 2nd period goal. Ex Hab Garon stones Habs and is winning goalie.

40. kmachabs27 says:

whos the 10 sittin behind cunneyworth

41. danhabsfan says:

Who are the refs tonight??

42. Exit716 says:

Oh, if I’m Molson, I phone up RDS and tell them to screw off with the Quebecois love for the Lightning too.

43. Rad says:

Habs reject J.T. Wyman gets 2 points against us.

44. Bill says:

DIAZ … horrible

Full Breezer 4 Life

45. Big Bird says:

I understand people are upset with Price tonight but he can’t dance on his head every single night. The team in front of him isn’t very good.

46. twilighthours says:

Emelin is bright spot.

—————————————————————–

47. Toe Blake says:

Although I can’t be sure, I think this team would suck in Greek and Latin?

48. nova scotia vees says:

So Price lets the 2nd goal dribble through…then is on his knees as a shot goes over his shoulder from the point…then drops a shot from the corner out of his glove and right in front of the crease for goal 4….Tampa 20 shots and 4 goals. And yet…Rod Black and Boone and others RAVE about his goal-tending. Every decent save is “brilliant”…Pa-leese

49. habsperspective says:

If theres good news to be had, hopefully, come next year, at some point.

PG, will be gone. Hopefully.

After the way he canned JM, I lost what little respect I had left of him.

13th place wont feel very good tomorrow.

50. WindsorHab-10 says:

That ugly second goal Price let in at the end of the second is a momentum changing goal. Great goalie but man when he gives up crap, he really gives it up. Hopefully the team will bail his ass out.

• Exit716 says:

I hope he leaves the team, actually. Why play for a directionless organization and a fan base that is unrelenting and loves career minor leaguers.
      If I’m Price this summer I tell my agent to seek offer sheets and tell Molson and the Canadiens to go screw themselves.

51. Toe Blake says:

I could coach this team and they would lose. Why? Because they suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

52. Bill says:

Lots of time to pop one, but they haven’t even threatened!

Full Breezer 4 Life

53. durocher says:

Another beauty by Emelin. My man crush on him is official.

54. JIMVINNY says:

What about the slash?

55. Habfan10912 says:

When this team gets average goaltending they are a lottery team. Weak defense. Small forwards. Poor on faceoffs. No grit. Overpaid no show veterans including the captain. Good bye PG.

• Habsolutely says:

the captain scored 29 goals last season and 28 the season before. was he a no show then? You’re clueless.

• idle says:

Don’t you know that the answer every time a player is struggling is to ship his ass out of town

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe I am but my team lost a game tonight that a good team would have won and we have a gazillion dollars in cap space contributing nothing. And they are for the most part, untradable.
        No need to insult just because you disagree. Disagree, state your case and move on. Have a good evening.

56. AH says:

aah…the Habs we all know and love are back…up 3-1, down 4-3 and reeling…..sigh

57. Toe Blake says:

Hip, hip, hooray! They are finally going to tank! Tonight will be a turning point on the road to redemption. They suck beyond all belief, even their own!

58. Danno says:

Well it sure does not help that Tampa has the NHL War Room giving them two gifts tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• idle says:

How about Price stops that shot and removes the ‘war room’ from the equation? Quit using the Refs as an excuse for poor play.

• Danno says:

I agree Price should have stopped them but what about the rule book applying equally to all teams including the Habs?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

59. danhabsfan says:

This one is on the boys not the Ref’s. They had a 3-2 lead going onto this period, and have fallen apart…. again

60. idle says:

At least there is something this team is the best in the league at. Choking

61. Big Bird says:

Keep playing even when whistle blows Les Boys. Different set of rules for you. All starting with the BS goal that let Tampa back in the game.

62. Toe Blake says:

Before recent changes, the LA Dodgers had better management!

63. gumper says:

Why the hell can’t Price track the puck in the crease? Are these guys playing drunk?

64. thirdstone says:

Can’t exclude Price from fault if this ends in a loss…

65. durocher says:

Gill getting on all 4’s is just embarrassing

66. Mondou6 says:

News flash…Our team is 100% mediocre. This game is pretty much just like every other game you see.

67. doogie says:

Gill to anybody for a 95th round pick! Rather see Campoli than this stiff. Or, more logically, St. Denis rather than Gill.

* * * * * * *

I keep waiting for Shutt-Lafleur- Lemaire to jump over the boards!

68. LTHF says:

The great Hal gill doing it again. On the ice for last two goals, out of position as usual. Suppose to be playing on the left side, yet on the 3rd goal over on the right boards.

69. The Dude says:

WTF is the problem here …Lightning have no D and Garon in net and we’re losing in the 3rd?Tank is on………….When is Gomez back?

70. Chuck says:

Yikes! Cole owes ‘em for that one.

71. Muckbringer says:

as long as i come here we suck…im out, and wont come once when were up. later and happy new year all!!!