Liveblog: Tough loss

DDCamm

Your Montreal Canadiens blew a 3-1 lead and lost 4-3.
Marc-André Bergeron and Vincent Lecavalier scored third-period goals, and the Canadiens were beaten for the 14th time in a game they led.
Mathieu Garon was spectacular.
Carey Price wasn’t.

The loss dropped the Canadiuens into 12th place in the Eastern Conference … and Carolina is getting close.

MORNING SKATE AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Hal Gill | Josh Gorges | Raphael Diaz | Martin St. Louis | Mathieu Garon | Tom Pyatt

1. idle says:

Of course if it was the other way around and the Habs scored a goal like that and it was denied because of a quick whistle this place would go flat out bonkers…

2. novahab says:

He blew the whistle because he lost site of the puck . He waved the goal off and then told Toronto a completely different call. He needs to be FIRED!. Molson call that weasel Bettman and tell him this guy is gone.

3. slapshot777 says:

The NHL always finds a way to FU!K over the Canadiens. No matter what the rule says, we will invent something new just to put the screws to them.

I can see them doing that to the
    Leafs what a joke this League is.

4. Les Canayens says:

Yet, Carey Price can freeze that puck for eternity and no whistle will blow.

☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

5. dallyd31 says:

As the commentator said, if the play was at centre ice, and they blew the whistle and then they shot the puck in the net, would that be “continuation of the play” as well and also count ? I guess the whistle has no bearing anymore and doesn’t matter.
    What a farce.

6. idle says:

I agree with most posters here that the call should have been no goal based on the way the league has always called the play dead upon the whistle regardless of whether it was quick or a mistake or not.

Having said that I would much rather them simply get the call right and forget about semantics. It clearly was a good goal and should be called that way. Except of course it should always be called that way, not just this time!

• JIMVINNY says:

but it’s not a good goal. The whistle went. Play is over. NO GOAL.

• idle says:

Take your Habs glasses off for a minute. If it was the Islanders vs San Jose and you were simply a hockey fan with only a casual interest in the game, would you want a goal like that to count?

Second question, if it were the Habs that scored a goal like that and it was called back because of a whistle that quick you would want the refs nutsack for it, wouldn’t you?

7. Trisomy 21 says:

Not sure if the feed I am watching has the capability of slow motion, but is everyone here positive that the whistle went before it crossed?

8. novahab says:

Well its too early to tell yet but I do see some differences. First one is their passsing is improving . The second is maybe there is no JM system. Did all the other NHL coaches know JM system so well and JM complete refusal to change anything hurt the team.

• Strummer says:

Kaberle’s passes are sweet.

I think he’s helped settle down the back end and the outlet/break-out passes are better since he arrived.

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

9. canada4l says:

from NHL.com
    MTL @ TB – 17:38 of the Second PeriodAt 17:38 of the second period in the Canadiens/Lightning game, video review upheld the referee’s call on the ice that Lightning forward JT Wyman’s shot completely crossed the goal line. Good Goal Tampa.

What game were they watching, the ref signalled no goal initially and the puck did not cross the goal line before the whistle. Can we protest this if we lose?

10. That is f’ing BS. IF THAT is a goal then what about this:

HOW DO THE HABS ALLOW THIS CRAP???

• Les Canayens says:

Vintage Chris Lee.

• Muckbringer says:

time to wake up. this is not the glorious game we grew up with. only on the international level!!!for now, cash rules over passion. thats it.

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
      Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
      Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.
      Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
      Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

11. Yet another email to TSN

Just wanted to thank your TSN Canadiens crew for their excellent work in showing the TWO replays on a very controversial goal by TB.

You can at least appear to show you care about your work.

Rod Black and Hockey? Sorry no, that doesn’t work.

Hire Rick Moffat to call the Canadiens games. Every other station/network has their homer personalities, it’s about time Canadiens English fans receive the same. The guy is all Canadiens heart and calls a great game.

OK I’m done now.

Merry Christmas

Shane from Brandon

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

12. twilighthours says:

All we want is consistency – in suspensions and on-ice officiating. We never get it though.

I wonder what Kerry Fraser will have to say about this.

—————————————————————–

13. topher5468 says:

I’d like an explanation on how and why that goal counted. I heard the whistle clearly before it crossed the line, hence the ref with his arms in the air saying play was dead.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

14. Marc10 says:

Hey! Good to see my favorite Franco hater pouring out the love. Keep trolling Hongcouver! ;-)

With Cam waking up (JM’s departure or DD?) can we pull this game out and do we dare dream if crawling into 8th for our annual date with the Bear…?

15. Muckbringer says:

right, so i think my month of silence is over finally. Merry Cristmas all!!
    i have to say that was clearly a good goal. my only question is the refs intent. cause you know, “if the skate was on the other foot”

once again the nhl has no “statute” here.

16. novahab says:

Ref wave off that goal because he lost site of the puck. He can’t change his mind but he can change the call what a joke. Cunneyworth welcome to how the NHL refs screw the Habs 101. This is where the coach needs to do a John Tortorella, No way thats happens if it’s the Rangers.

17. Danno says:

Now I hate that weasel-faced rat (aka Chris Lee) even more

It’s true the intent to blow rule is harsh and unfair but it should be applied consistently if it’s in the rule book NOT just when it screws the Habs.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Muckbringer says:

is he in?http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/RO020545.HTM

Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
      Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.

• Danno says:

Lee is not in this game but we are talking about the scepter of Chris Lee that still haunts us from his intent to blow call which robbed us of a goal against Pittsburgh

Intent to blow:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Muckbringer says:

“intent to blow” nice one! they blow where i live too

Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
          Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.

18. Strummer says:

Two people to stop picking on:

1. AK46

2. Kaberle (mostly gets dissed about the extra 2 years at a reasonable $4.25 per)
    ______________________________________________________
    “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
    -as posted in amusement parks across North America

19. showey47 says:

Did the “intent to blow the whistle” rule suddenly disappear? Price should have had it though.

20. JohnBellyful says:

Wonder if RC will give his pep talk half in English and half in French during the intermission?

21. JIMVINNY says:

That goal was the epitome of a quick whistle. But never, ever, in 20+ years of watching hockey, have I ever seen a goal like that count if the whistle goes before it crosses the line. We have been screwed by that multiple times.

22. Habzfan says:

Rattle Price? C’mon Boone get real.

23. Big Bird says:

Does anyone know how to add a photo to your profile?

24. gumper says:

Forget about intent to blow…these refs just blow.

25. Bill says:

Jesus NHL, get it straight and call it one way or the other, but not either way depending on which way screws the Habs.

All my life I have seen goals not count because of a whistle. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a whistle over-ruled. WTF?

He never even signalled goal!

Full Breezer 4 Life

26. danhabsfan says:

I would like to hear the leagues explanations of that. The whistle went, they seemed to say that was unimportant. Stupid

27. Habsolutely says:

I bet the guy who made that decision works in Toronto, lives in Toronto, and grew up hating the habs.

28. idle says:

I think Subban is thinking too far ahead of himself

• axman88 says:

1st up…the ref had intent to stop play….no goal should hae been allowed…..next…. crosscheck to Leblanc in front of the net…no call….next…hooked right in front of the ref….no call…..all in a span of 2min 22sec!

29. jmsheehy19 says:

that shouldn’t count according to the rules. Whistles aren’t reviewable right? I mean, it SHOULD be, but we’ve been hosed on that call countless times.

30. Mark C says:

How much none of Chris Lee’s crap calls were ever reviewed?

31. JIMVINNY says:

WTF is up with this reffing? Giving out goals that shouldn’t count, and missing trips and crosschecks by the lightning all over the place.

32. I have never seen it called that way, ever. Wow. So they just decided to change the rule mid-game or what?

33. riddler says:

No penalty there?now that blows.

34. scavanau says:

Thanks Toronto

We all know Jacques Martin would have blown his top there, we need a coach like that who reacts!

36. Bertuzzi says:

Price is not comfortable playing with the lead.

37. Mark C says:

NHL rule book: (xii) When the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.

This league is a joke.

38. JasonM says:

Until the play was completed?

How does one Ref use one set of rules and have another use something completely different.

39. slapshot777 says:

What a bullsh!t call.

• petefleet says:

Not just that, it’s the wrong call. The whistle is final on the ice in every other situation like that ever in the history of the NHL.

******************************************
      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

40. twilighthours says:

Just another head scratcher brought to you by the NHL.

—————————————————————–

While obviously a goal, i thought once whistle blows dead nothing they can do about it.

42. riddler says:

Intent to blow?

43. Bill says:

? Excuse me? Are they actually saying the whistle doesn’t matter? Cause that is a NEW ONE BY ME!!!

Assholes.

Full Breezer 4 Life

44. JIMVINNY says:

That’s total BS. The whistle went.

45. Just A Guy says:

Well.. I hate it when they take goals like that against th3e habs, so how can I argue against thins one?

46. RGM says:

Intent to blow, right?
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

47. Danno says:

Remember Chris Lee & intent to blow?

It’s our turn now…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

48. JasonM says:

Just give them the goal.

Price was weak on that one. No need to dwell on that more than we need to.

49. J Dub says:

Obviously a goal

50. JIMVINNY says:

not going to count. Whistle definitely went before it crossed.

Can they video review a quick whistle?

52. Propwash says:

Crud.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

53. showey47 says:

ah crap,please don’t count. We have been hosed by this call enough times,it would be great if one went our way for once.

54. durocher says:

Finally, a call for us

55. Les Canayens says:

Are there enough Habs fans in Tampa to chant “Gaaaarrrroooon, Gaaarrroooon…”?

56. JIMVINNY says:

UM, Moen tripped?

57. int says:

I’m looking forward to hearing all the “die hard Habs fans” comments regarding Cammy after tonight’s game. Let me guess, suddenly he’s gone from being the goat (and they’ll waver from their cries to trade him for a bag of pucks) to being a hero? Cammalleri definitely hasn’t had the best season in the world, but the guy is a competitor who has (in this ‘horrid’ season) had 7G, 13A for 20pts in 33 games before tonight! He’s the kind of guy we need come playoff time, assuming of course we get there! If we don’t though, it won’t be JUST his fault!

58. VancouverHab says:

et pour Kaberle aussi un tres belle jeu dans le dernier but!

Msr. Gauthier est deux pour deux…

59. wild flower says:

What would Habs fans-media be saying if they were playing like Tamps, and…Yzermann was their GM and Boucher was their coach?

60. petefleet says:

So is it being on the third line or being with DD that’s got Cammy going? Really, it doesn’t matter….keep it going Mike.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

61. Kaberle now has 6 points in 9 games with the Habs. Hope he keeps putting up points.

62. slapshot777 says:

What a different hockey team this has become. I know it’s only the second game after the break and only two periods in the second game but this looks like a hungry hard working four line team.

63. J.J. of Turku says:

I guess Nokia’s GWG is on hold… :D

64. Big Bird says:

Not bad Les Boys. Keep going.

65. badbalance says:

What team is that in the white jerseys? I don’t recognize any players…

66. topher5468 says:

DD is all heart. Great work in the corner.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

67. JIMVINNY says:

Cammy’s even playing harder now that he’s scoring again.

68. NickDags says:

Cole on pace for about 35 goals, not bad

Love the fact coach is rolling 4 lines.

70. VancouverHab says:

Tres belle jeu de le ligne ensemble.

71. Sportfan says:

Cole is freaking awesome a great FA signing thats for sure !

72. Habsolutely says:

Downie is such a tool.

73. idle says:

New game plan for this team moving forward:

Let an early goal in

74. Les Canayens says:

The Towers of Power!!

75. JIMVINNY says:

CLEARLY, Cole is nothing without Staal.