Liveblog: Canadiens hand Devils first loss

160207390_slide

A note to fans of the liveblog: There have been some problems with the HIO site being a bit slow during games this season due to high traffic. The Gazette and our HIO technical staff are aware of the problem and we’re working on a solution to fix it.

There were 38 seconds left in overtime when Andrei Markov scored on a Canadiens power-play to secure a hard-fought 4-3 win.
The Canadiuens had blown a 3-1 third-period lead.
It was Markov’s fourth goal of the young season.

The Devils came into the Bell Centre as the only undefeated team in the Eastern Conference.

Martin Brodeur had given up only three goals through his first three starts.

BIG win.

What a difference a year makes:

It took the Canadiens 10 starts to secure their third win last season.

1. frontenac1 says:

Eller might be stoned. Trust me, I know what its like…….DD? If Mike puts him in the quiet corner for a few games, then he is the Real Deal.

2. Habilis says:

So Boone, next goal wins unless we score it, right? ;)

3. Rudy says:

Thanks for the link but it doesn’t take me to anything

4. Hamayoune says:

So far, what has Armstrong brought to the Habs lineup?

Not sure I understand the dislike for Armstrong, not just you by the way. He is playing on our 4th line, which has been pretty good every game so far. Not saying he is much more than that, but our line of DD/Cole has been less effective. He is a cheap contract by NHL standards. were getting what we paid for.

• SlovakHab says:

I think Armstrong – White – Moen could be one of the better 4th lines in NHL.

5. Boomer says:

You think this contract year for DD may be affecting his play?

6. Mavid says:

Eagle Beak…LOL

7. Rudy says:

I missed Gally’s goal, any idea where to find it? I have to watch NJ feed

8. Wops says:

WTF is wrong with DD!! Start to skate, move your feett GEeez.

Terrible pass to Markov in the stomach, that leads to a 2-1….

• aj says:

I’m watching the game right now. It seems this team going to have another donut lineup! If the next 2 games we see Galy’s line as well with the white line stepping up, I think DD’s line would have to relegate to the 4th. Hate to see that happening but look at what the result is going on for the last 3 games, no score from this group.

• You gotta like DD’s work, his story, his determination in the face of people who said his size would always keep him out of the league… But he’s just not a 1st line centre on an average team, or even a 2nd line centre on a good one.

• aj says:

I’m not saying I don’t like DD’s work. What I’m saying though is that he and his wingers need to wake up this season. They need to score right now and that’s what the team with is missing.

9. Ice Storm says:

WOW… Time to give the Gally Guns time on the pp…

I think Desharnais may have smoked a Superbowl before the game….

10. Time to line these guys up across from each other and practice passing back and worth and then on the move. Sigh….lockout is no excuse for poor basics….

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

11. Danno says:

Therien calls a time out.

That’s so un-Count like

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. Haberoooo13 says:

DD gets my vote for worst Hab player since start of season…and by a fair amount!

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

13. windycity says:

looks like last year’s PP – that’s not a compliment

14. Boomer says:

With the lockout and us finishing 15th last year the crowd has definately changed. Not as many “Go habs Go” or “Ole ole ole” as there were in the past… Has anyone else noticed this?

• shootdapuck says:

not missing the Ole BS one bit!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

15. windycity says:

what’s Clarkson complaining about – clear interference

Eller shooting that puck at Brodeur on line change created that scoring opportunity, gotta stick it in the corner there.

17. windycity says:

Chico Resch repeating the b.s. about the Canadiens getting to pick the 2 best players in Quebec every year before they went to the draft

18. Danno says:

Price baby!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

19. SouthOttawaHabFan says:

Weber reminds me of Subban except not even close.

at this rate he will be working in the Montreal “construction” industry within a year…….

Huge save by Price

Bourque is hustling and working hard. Hopefully he gets more and more confident with the puck and the goals will come. I like that line alot.

22. Strummer says:

Devils announcers commenting on the maturity of Chucky.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

23. tbonesr says:

I’d rather listen to pj stock has a franco color man than benoit brunet

24. commandant says:

Weber is putting little marks in the shin pads of all the devils defencemen tonight.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

25. Harditya says:

Man Desharnais has been atrocious. He hasn’t scored and neither has Bourque, but at least Rene has the drive. David is just seems to be struggling with everything. Hopefully he can find his game soon, we’ll need his best with MaxPac out.

26. Mavid says:

my poor Boarder Collie is being forced to wear a Sens sweater..she keep coming into the den and staring at me..I am sure she wants me to take it off..do I dare?

27. Habilis says:

We need a PP in the worst way.

28. Wops says:

Weber helps remind us we are missing PK.

29. Ice Storm says:

Pierre Gauthier is in town consulting as to how Habs should have got Eller back in line-up to keep his rep intact… Came up with “fake appendectomy” for MaxPac… Chalk up another brilliant move for PG!

• Strummer says:

You’re not giving Gainey any credit for that trade?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…MSG interview of Giontas’ parents in the stands …They want a tie :)

31. byrneoNL says:

Did Desharnais develop an opiate addiction in the off season? He’s in a fog out there.

32. Stormin says:

Weber reminds me of Gallagher, except Weber is crap

33. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Under JM, kids wouldn’t have got out again after that goal.

34. windycity says:

little gally tried to repay the favor to Gally

35. JayK-47 says:

If this was last year, Colby would be on the 1st line, Kaberle and Bouillon would be running the power play, Gallagher would now be benched, the Habs would be lined up on their blue line repelling wave after wave of Devil forays until they collapsed with exhaustion in the early part of the 3rd turning their 2-1 lead into a solid 4-2 loss.

36. Habbu says:

Weber & Eller look like they both need to get physically stronger….lose too many one on one battles

37. byrneoNL says:

Eller can’t skate for crap. That’s not an NHL stride… :/

38. windycity says:

wow that was some terrible d-zone work

Habs need a good shift or two here

40. Different Habs team on the ice now

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

41. That’s the second time Weber tries to lead the rush — the kid’s really trying to impress, but he’s going to get caught at some point…

42. theox_8 says:

love having prust on the team, but damn he has hands of stone.

43. windycity says:

it’s Gomez’s fault

Crap, good deflection.

45. Propwash says:

That’s a little wonky

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

46. Damn. Let’s get it back boys!

47. THAT’s what I hate! They’re still doing it. Looked like a Canadians penalty, couldn’t clear it and now it’s a tough game again… FFFF

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

48. Boomer says:

Prust got tired there at the end of his shift and didn’t pick up his man

49. windycity says:

to point out the painfully obvious – next goal is HUGE

edit: crap as soon as write that they score :-(

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just watching replay of Gionta’s and Cole’s little tykes in Hab unis and holding the Flags high as Les Boys hit the ice

…caused a murmur in My ticker …wayyy coooll :)

51. windycity says:

nice pass by Pleky, too bad no goal

52. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

\WOOOOWWW GreAT Start!!!

Gallagher\s celebration brought back memories of saku koivu . and damn Galchenyuk is sooo special hes gonna bring the cup to montreal with price.

just sign PK, if theyre serious about winning then show him the money!!!!

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Propwash, Les Canayens, EricMelvin …thanks Guys …very much :)

PS: beautiful play by the ‘Gallys’ for the 2nd goal

…made this older Fan levitate :)

54. Nina76 says:

Going good right now……………..I BELIEVE!!!!!!

55. windycity says:

ok this sucks, watching the Devils feed on CenterIce and they keep showing commercials for a MSG special on Ryan McDonagh. Not what I want to see

56. Stevie.Ray says:

Who score more points? Gally or Gally? Predictions?

57. Stormin says:

The Gally’s new motto
    In God We Prust

58. B says:

Boone gets 2 cookies. I wonder if Gauthier took more than one cookie?

–Go Habs Go!–

59. 16-7 in shots for Montreal! Really hope they keep that up throughout the whole game. You know NJ is coming out hard in the second. If we play 60 minutes we can have this one.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

60. habs913 says:

Nicklas hjarlmasson and patrick sharp for subban, eller and desharnais. What do you think?

61. For all you folks not in front of a TV (or who don’t have RDS), here’s the NJ feed: http://atdhe.so/watch.php?id=578644

62. kempie says:

Watching the Devils’ feed and it’s ALL BRODEUR, ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Edit: And that commercial wher the guy asks if he can put his hockey pants in the “wharsh” is starting to drive me nuts.

And Chico Resch has at least half a dozen pronunciations for Galchenyuk.

63. Habbu says:

PG scouting for Chicago
    Kaberle took a puck in the face at practice yesterday; so Weber in

64. WhatUp says:

Habitant in Surrey – you saying game not on NHL center ice…I have it on – you can always google for streams (some better than others) anywho: Gally to Gally is a symphonie to my ears

65. Boomer says:

Gabriel Dumont won the fastest skater competition at the AHL all-star game

66. habsnyc says:

I few hours ago, I wrote Montreal would win 1-0 or 2-0. I may need to revise that prediction. Either way, so long as Montreal is over .500, PK’s phone is not going to ring off the hook.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

67. Habilis says:

Quick thought: Not to criticize Yakupov or Galchenyuk, because I love the exuberance. But did you notice how Gallagher celebrated his first goal? Turns around, open arms, waiting to hug his teammates.

Yep, he’s Canadian. ;)

68. obrien says:

Worst Hab so far: Weber.

Best Hab: Price making it look easy…

69. Is PG still working for the Habs organization? Is that why he’s in the house? He’s just bad energy. Bergevin should buy him out and put him out to pasture too, as well as JM who is working for the organization as a scout is it?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

70. immortalhab says:

So fun to watch MTL when they dominate. Remember how down our conversations were last year? I’m off the Prozac!!

71. Marc10 says:

Hey, how’s Eller doing? (I’m on kid duty…)

Can’t wait to catch this one when I get home. Glad Gally got his first and happy for Ryan!

• He’s not looking bad — just kind pf invisible out there. Therrien did put him out on the PP, albeit with just 8 seconds left in the 1st, but nothing came of it.

72. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Boone said: “Price quick .. again .. on Zajac in close. He is SO HOT! ”

…Me think Boone is hangin’ with McGuire far too much :)

73. Nice to see Cole a little more alive tonight. Hope he isn’t serious about retiring next year. Love his work ethic, even if he doesn’t score 30 a year. Anyone not playing well tonight, besides Weber, Armstrong?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

The 4th line is playing well, they have a goal, they have had a good forecheck. Armstrong seems to try go glove corner every chance, need to tell the kid behind the glass to take his glove off though.

• Glad to see you excited. It’s been far too long with the disastrous last season and lock-out. This is how I’d like to see the Habs play. Every game. Every period. Boullion has been hustling, but the announcers were on both defenses for being sloppy in the first period with turn-overs.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

74. Habhopeful says:

I am SO impressed with everything about the Habs so far, from coaching, to management, strategies, PK, PP, Even Strength, the way rookies are being handled and the way they are giving everyone a chance (I.E scratching Kaberle to give Weber a Chance) and Price looks like nothing will get by him very easily, so excited!