Liveblog: Canadiens hand Devils first loss

160207390_slide

A note to fans of the liveblog: There have been some problems with the HIO site being a bit slow during games this season due to high traffic. The Gazette and our HIO technical staff are aware of the problem and we’re working on a solution to fix it.

There were 38 seconds left in overtime when Andrei Markov scored on a Canadiens power-play to secure a hard-fought 4-3 win.
The Canadiuens had blown a 3-1 third-period lead.
It was Markov’s fourth goal of the young season.

The Devils came into the Bell Centre as the only undefeated team in the Eastern Conference.

Martin Brodeur had given up only three goals through his first three starts.

BIG win.

What a difference a year makes:

It took the Canadiens 10 starts to secure their third win last season.

1. Danno says:

The Mighty one!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. Propwash says:

MIGHTY WHITEY!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

3. Harditya says:

RYAN WHITEEEE WOOOOOOOOOO

4. Habilis says:

WHITE!!! ON BRODEUR!

Awesome.

5. ZepFan2 says:

Est le BUUUUT!!!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

Ryan WHite going to the net, wonderful to see!

Eller taking the faceoff instead of DD?

okay he did in the offensive zone.

8. Mavid says:

I prefer TSN simply because I can understand more..and McGuire is gone..but I do love it when they hollare LE BUIT!!!!!!!!!! nobody does it better..

9. Mavid says:

I read about an Interview with Glen (the character) and indeed they are going to kill off more of them..a new bunch joined at the prison..so maybe it may be some of them I hope so, I like all the characters that are left..I was not sorry to see Lori die she was a pain in the ass..disliked her alot..too bad they had her son shoot her..that was sad for sure…time for Hockey now!!! GO HABS GOOOOOO

I hope the crowd gives PG a warm greeting. :)

11. Kimberly2u says:

I don’t speak French either but love RDS

12. dhenry1234 says:

Am I the only one that prefers the RDS feed and doesn’t speak a word of French? :P

13. The Jackal says:

Speaking of great shows, check out Homeland, it’s pretty good and fast-paced.
    _________________________
    “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

14. jols101 says:

Wow, did not realize the Devils dominated the Habs that badly at home over the last 5 years. Great info Boone. Habs are going to change all that tonight. Go Habs Go!!!!

Feel like I am at a TV Guide chat room! :)

16. frozengolf says:

I have an RCA dish, does anyone know if the game is being broadcast in english and where I can find it?

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

17. Sehs says:

I take offense to Liverpool being compared to the Leafs! We’ve at least got a Champions League trophy from ’05!

18. J.J. of Turku says:

Hmm…

Time to switch to Hockey Streams…

Go Habs, Go!

Bazinga!

19. Mavid says:

There is only 3 seasons of the walking dead , and it stopped halfway to start again Feb 10th…I have never watched Breaking Bad but I hear it is good..we watched Season 1 and 2 on Netflix..then some nice fellow at work gave me a DVD with the half of Season three…

• ooder says:

breaking bad is sick… couldn’t get into the walking dead, saw 2 episodes and was bored to death.
      other great show is suits…awesome!
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Stevie.Ray says:

I watched a season and a half of Breaking Bad. It’s an alright show but except more the two main characters, everyone else is unbearable. That’s why I stopped watching.

• frozengolf says:

Breaking bad is as good of a television show I’ve ever seen. Season five was the best season of any t.v. show, and I’m a big Soprano’s fan. My favorite shows ever are Soprano’s, The Wire and Breaking Bad. All terrific shows.

_________________________________________________________

• punkster says:

Now try Banshee…just watched the first two episodes and if they can keep up the weird it will be good.

***FREE PK!!!***

20. Mavid says:

ooooh I LOVE the walking dead..only 2 more weeks till it starts again!..not sure if you noticed but you see Daryl in one of the previews so he gets out somehow..I should hope so one of the best Characters in the show..do only real women watch the walking dead, like real men?

Somebody in the upper seats chuck Boone a hotdog, can’t have him waste away on us!

22. frontenac1 says:

Anybody seen the starting lines yet? Is Sweet Hands in?

23. J.J. of Turku says:

” The flag skaters tonight are the sons of Brian Gionta and Erik Cole”

When and how??? Are they married?

Bazinga!

24. MacHabFan says:

Eller-DD-Cole line should be interesting.

Enough about PK … I think he is done as a Hab.

Go Habs!

25. HabFanSince72 says:

I still believe that the Subban issue is nothing more than the normal process of two parties slowly moving toward one another to arrive at an agreement.

Subban rationally wants to maximize his salary. The Habs rationally want to minimize their outlay and more importantly cap hit.

Furthermore, the new CBA skews Subban’s actual value. What the CBA essentially means is that the value of a hockey player under the age of 26 is half of the value of a player who has reached UFA status. So Subban values himself by looking at his contributions to the club. The Habs value him at half that, as per the (unfair but agreed upon) collective bargaining agreement.

But now I’m worried that Ed, Tom and Commandant are right to be worried. What if Therrien wasn’t just making TV soundbites last year when he attacked Subban at every opportunity on l’antichambre? What if Habs’ senior management are just as foolish and conservative when it comes to brash young players as their forebears were in dealing with Chelios and Roy?

In 2007 Trevor Timmins drafted three defencemen: Subban, McDonagh and Weber (a steal in the 3rd round), )along with Max Pacioretty). It looks like all three of those d-men might have successful careers somewhere else.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

26. BK says:

where can i watch previous episodes of 24 ch?

Time for changes

27. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Last years habs not only ruined my dinners but brought it up into the back of my mouth on numerous occasion. Get well soon Max.

28. GuyDoon says:

You don’t watch tv? Is “bazinga” a Lap expression? :)

29. habsfan0 says:

I wonder what PK’s reaction,sitting at home,is to Andrei Markov’s fast start?

• The Jackal says:

He is probably stoked for Markov and happy that the team is off to a good start.

_________________________

30. bel33 says:

Sorry for asking in case anyone has already… or if we’re not supposed to. Is the NHL network showing the game tonight?
    I don’t have RDS this winter… :(

Or if someone could let me know a good streaming site to try… I’d really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

31. frontenac1 says:

What the fu*k is Downtown Abbey?

32. Danno says:

We regret to inform our viewers that Mr. Carson is sidelined for tonight’s episode of Downton Abbey as he had the misfortune of being struck in the face by a platter of petit fours. In his place the young footman James “Jimmy” Kent will replace Mr. Carson as butler for tonight’s event.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

33. Sportfan says:

That Picture scares me haha

GO HABS GO Bring on the heat!

Having switched from Sabres game to the golf, I think if Phil would work on his putting game some more, he wouldnt have to worry about the Govt picking on him with higher tax rates, as he would more than enough to supplement those higher rates with a few putts made. Poor guy may have to move away from California…

35. Chuck says:

The HI/O site is a little slow? That’s like saying that the Laffs goaltending is slightly sub-par.
    ___________________________________________________

36. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a question for discussion:
    Are the Devils weaker than last season?
    Are they the Red Wings of the East, in that they’ve lost veteran leadership and point-production and not replaced it with much?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CanadienBoy says:

Never mind the Ranger is the team to beat they just sign Arnott they got to be one of the bigger team and talented

• Habilis says:

They are weaker up front without Parise, no doubt. However, since Marty seems to be aging in reverse, I’d say they’re in decent shape.

I would have assumed they would be worse, but their record so far indicates otherwise. This will be the first game I watch them play. All I know is I wish David Clarkson was on our team.

• New says:

I don’t think so. Their system is pretty good. I think Kovalchuk is warmed up for a quick start and when Henrique gets back they’ll be solid all year. Unfortunately Brodeur will be older and slower but just plain smarter. Steady goaltending will do it all the time.

37. Haberoooo13 says:

Any word on the lines tonight…apologies if already posted.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

38. GuyDoon says:

I have two daughters who are crazy about Downton Abbey. I bought the DVD set on a pre-release, for christmas. The box set was at my door on the morning of the NA release. Impressive service by BBC Canada. Anyway, we watched the entire season already. Anyone looking for a spoiler? There’s some doozies! hehehe.

39. frontenac1 says:

@strummer. Erskine was born in Kingston and lives here in the Off Season. Yeah,we consider him a Homeboy that plays elsewhere. Saludos amigo!

40. rhino514 says:

Wow, 11.5 million in cap space which is being wasted by two players, with Kabs out.
    Even with PK out he still sits. That says alot about what Therrien thinks of that signing.
    Sincerely hope Weber does well. You have to figure this is one of his last chances, maybe the last chance, if there is a resolution with you know who. I think he will be playing his heart out tonight.

• Mr. Biter says:

Maybe your on to something here. prehaps MT does not think as highly of PK as PK thinks of himself. Might have nothing to do with $$$$. If that’s the case we may not see PK in a Habs jersey again. Just hope we get a fair exchange.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• 24moreCups says:

Maybe they’re trying to showcase Weber, so other teams can get a look at him for a trade or something. I remember reading some where there were two teams rumored to be interested in him.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Hobie Hansen’s 2013/14 Canadiens:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    David Clarkson ($3.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
    Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($1.000m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
    Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
    Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) / PK Subban ($4.000m)
    Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) /

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($6.500m)
    Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS
    Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
    Tom Kaberle ($0.000m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,323,333; BONUSES: $2,697,500
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,674,167

42. Danno says:

Who would be the PK of Downton Abbey?

Perhaps the rebellious Irish chauffeur Tom Branson who caused quite a stir when he married Lord and Lady Grantham’s daughter Sybil?

Does Tom Branson not know it is unwise to cross certain boundaries of society?

Quite frankly, he’s gotten too big for his britches.

It’s people like Tom Branson that cause unrest.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• neumann103 says:

But is he hated in the abbey (room)?

“Et le but!”

• Danno says:

He is considered to be a rogue by many – especially Lord Grantham who strongly disapproves of his son-in-law’s rebellious behaviour. Yet even Lord Grantham grudgingly admits that Tom Branson possesses a certain undeniable charm. He wants the best for his daughter of course and hopes that the wild-eyed radical will one day become a better person.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Was Kaberle ever made a healthy scratch last season by the Habs? I honestly don’t recall, but like this decision to give Weber a chance to show himself.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hadn’t heard that Weber was playing, but if he is, my guess is it’s to showcase him in the hopes of a trade. Lots of team need dmen, doesn’t look like Weber is fitting in to the Habs’ plans. Doubt we’d get much for him, but still no point in having him on the roster if he isn’t going to play.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Edit that, just saw John Lu’s tweet. Kaberle is out because of that puck to the face in practice, not as a healthy scratch.

44. Mr. Biter says:

I am in need of advise from fellow bloggers. I have a difficult situtation. Free cocktails at hotel from 5:30-7:30 or go watch the game and pay for and have less cocktails at bar? Advise needed.
    And game starts at 5:00 in Chicago.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

Go drink free cocktails and convince the bartender that the residents of St. Boniface at your hotel (assuming in Wpg) would prefer to watch the Habs game on RDS. :)

• Mr. Biter says:

No sitting in Embassy Suites in Chicago and their TV package sucks. Shoeless Joe’s Bar has DTV so game is on there. At home I’d have it on MSG.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

Greet the bartender with a Bonjour, tell them you are a scout from Montreal in Chicago for the weekend and would appreciate being able to watch your team play. ;-)

• Mattyleg says:

Ehhhh, those ‘free’ drinks are always watered down.
            You’d probably get drunker on the equivalent amount of beer.

Last thing they’d want to do is have a completely hammered clientele at 7:30 in the evening scaring away customers and chundering on the carpets…

See the game!

*edit* this shouldn’t have been a reply to Burly!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Bring a canteen or thermos and fill it with drinks at 530. Then at 6 go watch the game with your free drinks in hand. CHeers.

———————————–

45. jols101 says:

Sniper John Erskine floats a wrister from the blue line past Miller.

Washington 2 – Buffalo 1. 2nd period.

46. frontenac1 says:

Homeboy Erskine with the go ahead goal ! Atta Boy Johnny!!! Could have had him off waivers last week. Too bad he’s too big,tough and slow for the Habs.

• Strummer says:

Your Homeboy ?
      Erskine grew up and played his minor hockey in Ajax.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

47. habsfan0 says:

“The Gazette and our HIO technical staff are aware of the problem and we’re working on a solution to fix it.”

Hire more hamsters!

Martin F. Brodeur has been lights out against Montreal throughout his entire career. His career record against the Habs is 43-18 with a 93.1% save percentage, a 1.79 goals against average and nine shutouts. Brodeur’s lifetime stats at Bell Centre are 19-8-1, a 94.4% save percentage, a goals against average of 1.53 and five shutouts. Not to mention that he’s off to a great start this season despite being 40.5 years old (3-0/.958/0.98/1).

Interesting note concerning two Devil hopefuls. Rookie Stefan Matteau has played in all three NJ games this year despite being just 18 years old. He went 29th overall in last summer’s entry draft. Rumour has it that he might even play on the top line today with Zajac and Kovalchuk for today’s game.

At the other end of the bench is Adam Larsson, who went 4th overall in the ’11 draft. Larsson has been a healthy scratch for all of Jersey’s games so far as Peter DeBoer goes with the experience of Salvador, Greene, Fayne, Tallinder, Zidlicky and Volchenkov. You have to wonder if NJ is wasting the first two years of this gifted player’s entry level contract.

How important is Kovalchuk in terms of the New Jeresy offence? So far this year he has averaged 26 minutes a game. He played over 30 minutes on Friday night when he scored the overtime winner. The best Hab forward comes in at around 18.

• The Jackal says:

Now this is the kind of comment I’m used to reading from you.
      Big test tonight, I hope we can keep on rolling.

_________________________

• neumann103 says:

I have larsson and PK in one of my pools. The one where I am stacked in goal and up fronnt but weak on D.

Killing me.

“Et le but!”

49. Say Ash says:

Given how Marty F. generally plays us at the Bell Centre, Downtown Abbey might be a better choice.

50. Steeltown Hab says:

Typical MTL has to do things the wrong way 5 times before doing it right once. Put Eller at center and Galchenyuk on the W, why is life so hard?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

51. slapshot777 says:

They are saying that Pacs will be out 2-3 weeks, yet last night on CBC and TSN they were saying 4-5 weeks. What is usually the case

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Strummer says:

Are the CBC and TSN hockey people qualified to offer an opinion?

Maybe consult with an expert -Ask Dr. Recchi.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Stevie.Ray says:

Personally when mine ruptured I was in the hospital for a week, lost twenty lbs, and was told to stay out of action for a month. It took me about two months before I was 100%.

If it didn’t rupture it will be 1-2 weeks to recover from the surgery, and probably 1 or 2 weeks before he can start taking contact

• dhenry1234 says:

He’ll be back in 2 weeks. He’s a strong guy, just remember his concussion and how quickly he bounced back from that. Also my dad had the same thing happen to him years ago and he was off work for only two weeks. There were even complications and Pops was good to go in no time at all. If he could do it, a trained athlete will be able to do it.

52. Say Ash says:

Did Emmy injure his cheek again in Russia or is he just going with a full cage from here on in?

53. Ron says:

Lavoie: Weber in Kabs out Kabs is a healthy scratch. Ok from the puck to face.

Nice to hear, happy for Weber to get a chance. Also believe in 5 on 5 he provides better option than Kaberle. Hopefully he plays well and isn’t too nervous or over anxious to prove himself.

Thanks for the info ROn.

• commandant says:

Hopefully he’ll play on the Right side and not the left, cause being on the wrong side will hurt his performance IMO.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ooder says:

that drove me freaking crazy when JM insisted on putting Spacek on the wrong side which basically forced him to make really quick plays on the backhand.
          then again this is the caoch who saw no value in o’byrne and even put him on the 4th line for a game
          ——————
          The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Steeltown Hab says:

Best news I’ve heard all week.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan10912 says:

A performance based decision? Good for MT.

———————————–

• commandant says:

I think it was because Kaberle got hit in the face with a puck at practice yesterday.

As for performance, its important to note that in well over 30 minutes of ice time… Kaberle has not yet been on the ice for a goal against this season.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

54. F50Marco says:

Some good points as to why Subban isn’t going to be traded.

55. habsnyc says:

Tickets to see the Habs play in Newark are only $20 each on stubhub. I think Montreal should win this game easily. The Devils are an aging team and if Markov controls Kovalchuk, I do not think they can do any damage. I think Price can get a shut out win, 1-0 or 2-0. I hope Eller has a great game.

The big tests this season come against the Bruins, Rangers, Flyers and Penguins. I am not sure what to believe about the PK Subban contract talks. My guess is the argument is over duration. Once Subban is willing to accept a bridge contract, Montreal will up their offer on a two year deal. But until they agree on duration, Montreal has no reason to raise their dollar offer. I have no problem with Montreal remaining intransigent on duration.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• commandant says:

Stubbs reported yesterday that Subban said he would take a 2 year deal, but he wants fair value to do so.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Is this what you are referencing, or did Dave Stubbs actually say PK’s camp would indeed definitively accept 2 year deal as you are stating as fact.

Habs @PKSubban1 wants what he believes he’s worth, preferably BUT NOT NECESSARILY tied to long-term contract

56. Stormin says:

This Sunday Habs Vs NJ, Next Sunday , Habs & the Super Bowl, could be trouble for some unproductive Monday’s,,,,

Work is the curse of the drinking class

57. DMAN says:

Just a thought: If the Habs don’t outscore the Devils then we won’t win this game.

58. Hobie Hansen says:

The NJ Devils are a team that have been among the league’s best for almost 20 years now, pretty remarkable.

Last year, I figured they were done early on in the season and had the feeling Brodeur might be trying to hang on too long. I would have never figured them to make the it to finals in a million years.

They got that no name defense of theirs playing like the old Devils defense when Daneyko and Stevens were there. And Brodeur is still an ABOVE average goaltender.

One of today’s articles mentioned that tonight’s game will be a good test for the Habs because the Devils are a big and strong club. I didn’t remember the Devils being overly large and physical but was surprised too see I was wrong after looking at their roster. 90% of their roster is between 6′ and 6’5″ tall.

Anyway, should be a difficult test for the Habs and will be a good measuring stick as to what type of team we have here.

Interesting how since the prior lockout, teams are slowly getting back to getting bigger. Size is becoming a priority for most GM’s it seems again. Granted there are many more athletes now playing hockey whom combine size with skill.

59. Hali_Hab says:

Does anyone know where I could watch last nights episode of CH24?

60. kmachabs27 says:

Carey ****ing Price. Bye

61. Thought Subban was spending the weekend at home?

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

62. frankcasting says:

eller for pac makes the most sense, good kickstart for 81, leave the other lines intact. this is an early litmus test; diablos 2012 stanley j. cup finalists, eh?

Loving the Habs since 1965

63. Ncognito says:

Anyone have a link to live streaming for tonight’s game? I’m stuck at the office until at least 9:30 with no cable or sat feed. English feed is preferred! Thanks!

64. Izzy says:

fearles prediction time……habs 5, little satans 2. Markov scores one and assists on another. Gallagher scores.

next day, we find out that MB is actively shopping Subban.

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

65. Mattyleg says:

You know, until Friday, when I spotted the book of the series in Chapters, I thought this series was called “Downtown Abbey”.

Kind of like a religious ‘The Wire’: Gritty urban realism surrounding a church in the city’s core.

Man, I’m outta the loop.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• geo_habsgo says:

I watched this show one night with my mother to make her happy. Imagine my horror when I found my eyes glued to the tv and getting all invested in the characters. At least I still have hockey to make me feel like a man.

66. calvee123 says:

Well here we go, the up hill climb. I hope that the Canadiens can come out hard and get an early goal, making the crowd wild. Also. Price needs to come up with a better performance than Brodeur. Cary needs to be better than his opposite, and this should be do able.

67. Willy the bum says:

Long time posting!

Hope this coming match will be a good one; we’ll know how good the Habs will play in the first of many challenges this season.

68. kempie says:

From the previous thread (why am I always the last to post before a new thread?):

Recipe for disaster:

1 part Martin Brodeur at the Bell Centre
    1 part no Subban
    1 part no Pacioretty
    Add 2 convincing wins in a row and…

69. Da Hema says:

Boone’s photoshop skills are improving….

70. Bash says:

Now the line juggling…

Chuck with DD and Cole?? Would that out Cole on his off wing? Too many minutes for Chuck?

Gallager with DD and Cole? Too small with DD?

Eller in Pacs place…simple change.

It will be fun watching the kids tonight!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

71. Kevy says:

ehhh first
    oooh missed it by that much

72. Propwash says:

Should be a good test for the team seeing that the Devils are riding high.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

73. Hobie Hansen says:

74. Da Hema says:

I am conflicted about the Devils. On the one hand, I admire their competitiveness. On the other, they suck the very life and soul out of hockey.

75. Mr. Biter says:

Was Cherry on earlier today and you all watched and listened to him?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

76. Mr. Biter says:

The only time the CBC is on at my house is if the habs are playing.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

77. Habfan10912 says:

Hey! Leave my afternoon nap out of it. :)

———————————–

78. Mr. Biter says:

WTF is “Downtown Abby”?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

I echo what Mr. Biter is asking!

80. ZepFan2 says:

Downtown Abby is the local hooker.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

81. Mr. Biter says:

She seems to be well known to many posters on the site however sounds kinda long in the tooth.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

82. HabFab says:

Obviously a show that REAL MEN don’t watch ;)

I thought I read that the puck in face was deemed not serious and that he is indeed a healthy scratch. I am now off to do my homework as you have me wondering. Thanks :)

84. jedimyrmidon says:

I think someone below said that he’s fine (well, as fine as one can be) after getting hit in the face by the puck. So, in that sense, he’s healthy.

85. Mr. Biter says:

I know but the words Free and Unlimited for 2 hours allways appeal to me.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

86. Hobie Hansen says:

Yes but the Sharks are paying Gomez less than a million bucks. Nobody will take Kaberle for $4.5 million.

87. neumann103 says:

There was a team willing to take a chance omn Gomez for $700k. No one would have taken a chancr on Gomez for a cap hit of $7.3m.
    Kaberle would be trade able a year from now when his contract is nearly up and someone is looking for a PP specialist for a playoff run. But no one is likely to take that Contract on now.

“Et le but!”

88. rhino514 says:

They took Gomez for 700,000. Whoever picks up Kaberle would have to dish out over 4 million.
    Unless he plays most of the season and produces at least 25 points, ain´t gonn happen.

89. GuyDoon says:

I got totally caught into the show too. Did you read this article?

90. J.J. of Turku says:

I envy you for having sparetime to watch TV. :D
    When I’m not working or watching hockey, I sleep or try to please my wife :D . I just bought playoff-season ticket for our second highest league team called TuTo. Btw they have a player from Montréal, Derek Famulare. Fast, big and angry.

No work early tomorrow. Only thing to do is to get my car to service at 11.30. Literally Hockey Night!

I’m waiting for a good game.

Bazinga!

91. GuyDoon says:

My comment disappeared??
    So you don’t watch tv hey?
    Is “Bazinga” an old Lap expression?

92. citizenSanto says:

lol, Bazinga!

93. J.J. of Turku says:

Hahaa!

Ouch! OK, I watch tv, at the springtime. :D

Bazinga!

94. Chuck says:

You don’t like porn?

___________________________________________________

95. J.J. of Turku says:

And Spongebob!

Bazinga!

96. Habilis says:

Best. Show. On TV right now.

Edit: Actually, tied with Breaking Bad. ;)

97. J.J. of Turku says:

How many seasons of The Walking Dead have you guys seen? We have only three. 4th should begin feb. the 17th. I liked the Wire and The Boardwalk Empire too.

Bazinga!

98. Habilis says:

Same here, cept it starts back up one week earlier for us.

99. Habilis says:

Breaking Bad IS awesome, and there’s only 5 seasons (final one upcoming in the summer) which makes it a little easier to catch up on. Trust me on this, watch it.

I’ve heard good things about Dexter as well but also haven’t seen any, catching up now seems like alot of “work”. Maybe once hockey’s done.

100. Habilis says:

I think he’s from another planet. One where everyone has ridiculous reflexes and stops aging at 30.

101. dhenry1234 says:

Yeah it’s always been French feed for me most of my life. My dad always said that whenever we watch a game in English, it’s a guaranteed loss. I guess I have learned some things though. I knew the French version of our National Anthem before I knew it in English lmao.

Exaggerating a little bit of course.

102. SouthOttawaHabFan says:

no, please, God nooooo!!!!!

103. HabFab says:

See you using my line earlier…should have TradeMark it ;)

104. Stormin says:

Yakupov just slid by my house

Edmonton will only need 1 zamboni instead of 2 at that rate.

106. Danno says:

Sucking and getting paid for it.

There’s a word for that.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

LOL, happy shopping for a new one bud.

108. JayK-47 says:

So I’m not the only one who feels that way every time that name is spoken?

109. Muckbringer says:

I always thought he looked like the brother from xmas vacation:

Conan: Almost 20 years of pitiless cumber! No rest, no sleep like other men. And yet the spring wind blows, Subotai. Have you ever felt such a wind?
    Subotai: They blow where I live too. In the north of every man’s heart.
    Conan: It’s never too late, Subotai.
    Subotai: No. It would only lead me back here another day. In even worse company.
    Conan: For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

110. Harditya says:

Agreed. RDS anyday.

111. Mondou6 says:

I’m watching the MSG feed, and it’s fine. They are just calling a normal game.

The only really horrible announcers are Bruins and Penguins. Everyone else is ok.

112. Harditya says:

Yeah those 2 calls were legitimate.

113. commandant says:

thanks, I missed one of the two.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

114. I absolutely LOVED seeing Therrien slapping Gallagher on the shoulder with a big grin on his face after Gallys goal. Can’t imagine JM doing that.

115. windycity says:

pretty much. at least they stopped talking about the Gionta brothers for a minute. Nice story but give it a rest already

116. habfan01 says:

me too- almost makes ya want to barf

117. windycity says:

yeah the Cube was solid

118. zorro says:

PK who? Frankie plays the body better than anyone else.

119. windycity says:

@Habsolutely – blow me. And not all are homers, tool

120. habsoul says:

Really—and the Devils announcers aren’t that bad. They were praising Galchenyuk all night long. They fussed a bit about Markov’s game winner but not a big deal. Non-issue.

“When you are the Canadiens, you cannot make excuses.”
    — Henri Richard, on what it meant to be a Montreal Canadian

121. windycity says:

Oh sorry I got your panties in a bunch. Take your meds and run along, tool

122. habsguy says:

There should be an age limit here, seems the children are here tonight. Pretty sad when someone comments on something and if others dont like it, they resort to name calling and swearing. Does your mother know you’re still up?

123. Strummer says:

you’re a class act

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

124. windycity says:

@Habsolutely – Hey Mr. Internet Tough Guy – take your meds, really. They might help you.

125. BK says:

laughable comment. PK is a beast

Time for changes

Nevermind…..

127. windycity says:

Well now he’s adapting to a new system so might be that partly. He has a good skill set, I wouldn’t give up on him yet but worrisome that he’s not progressing. He seems to panic when he does get the puck, complete contrast to Chucky

128. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Well, I guess I can be overstating my case, but there is just not any reason (statistically based) to think he is top tier offensively. He can wow the crowd going end to end, but I’ve never seen it end up in a goal. Not once. And rarely a legit scoring chance. Usually just results in the puck going the other way. That aside, his offense is no better than, and I would say inferior to, Diaz’s.

129. Ron says:

Blunden was already brought up again. He is in the pressbox.

130. Da Hema says:

I think you are pretty close to the matter Funky. Subban was a leader in ice-time, plus-minus, and did help the powerplay. While critics called his play “disappointing” last year, I disagreed and saw a commitment to defence that will make him a valuable defenceman now and in the future. He brings sufficient offensive skills — although he needs to work on his shot accuracy as you note — to make him one of the league’s up-and-coming defenceman. I hope he remains in Montreal. This team can’t keep giving away defenceman like McDonagh.

131. twilighthours says:

There is a strong argument based on alternative measures of success. Eyes on the prize makes the argument, and convincingly too. If you can stand to read the articles and comments (sometimes a struggle), you might learn something.

Comparisons to Diaz are, frankly, ridiculous. Diaz can do only a fraction of what subban can do. Just look at one of the many pK highlight videos and ask if Diaz could ever do those things.

132. TomThompson says:

What sort of stats are you looking at, or are you just trolling? He’s played huge minutes ever since he came up to the club, against extremely good competition (typically their top lines), and put up decent points.

If you look at his advanced stats, he is easily in the top 30 defensemen- an elite talent. Defense also tend to mature into better players rather slowly, so if you measure him against young defense (I believe HEOTP uses defense drafted since 2007?), he is in the top 5. Near guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Duncan Keith, Brian Campbell. Not to mention he’s had to deal with a ridiculous amount of crap- people questioning his character, attitude, etc thanks to to the nature of hockey coverage in Canada.

Even putting aside this, he is easily a top 2 dman on the current roster who can eat minutes, draws a ton of penalties, improves possession numbers significantly, and improves the play of everyone on the ice. You don’t pay this sort of player $3 million- whatever the prestige of the club in question. If Bergevin hasn’t offered $4.5-$5million they are idiots.

I sound like a Subban nut. I’m just sick of people throwing BS about his lack of production or capabilities or other shit we can’t measure like ‘character’ or him being a ‘dressing room cancer.’ IF we lose Subban, and the price is less than 2 firsts I will be pretty disgusted with the organization. It’s great to see Markov playing so well a short time into the season but if history is any guide he WILL get injured. Lowering his TOI with an elite defenseman like Subban would help to some extent in preventing this. He would also draw the attention of forwards hoping to take runs at our D and injure Markov, and I’m far more confident in Subban’s youth and physicality than Markov’s.

133. lavie says:

Subban needs to cool him down and be realistic to negotiate with MB. A deal is not difficult.

134. shootdapuck says:

But at what expense ?

A cap that drops 10 mill next year will handcuff the development started this year if they add another 5 mill per deal!

Not to forget setting a nasty precedent!

Is PK more important than Price, Gorges and Pacioretti the bridge deal was good enough for them!

He could have signed before the lockout but rolled the dice and lost!

A pay raise from 890k to 2.5 mill aint bad!

Remember Bergevin will not accomodate “me” players!

If he sits this year he gains nothing, no closer to arbitration or UFA status!

Time to pull on the “big boy pants” PK!

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

135. ed lopaz says:

I agree with you James. Like you, I hope we get him signed.

136. Whatever says:

Bourque can shoot, he just can’t aim. Unless he is aiming 5 feet away from the net in which I stand corrected.

137. CanadienBoy says:

playing for him like the clip where is slapping Gallager after is goal

138. Andy and the habs says:

I agree with 2 things, Subban signing for good price around 2.5 and 3mn…and your picture