Liveblog: Happy 2012!

Travis Moen

Nowhere to go but up, right?
Right?
Hey, anyone out there?

That’s 15 blown leads this season.

Brutal … and depressing.

1. TM357 says:

Erik Cole…….is the only real leader on the team……we need more changes and fast!!!

• habsfn4 says:

Sad….we have a team that just doesn’t compete. Not one leader. Cole tries, he’s the only one I see with an effort nite after nite. PK plays immature. Pach and Pleky are busts, no guts. Perhaps the hit on Pach last year has him scared, he plays that way. We have a handful of guys I would keep, otherwise, make deals for the future. Bring Carbo back. Find a real NHL GM, I don’t care what language he speaks

2. LatheDog says:

I found the answer to my own question: Owner Geoff Molson is the president of the Montreal Canadiens since Boivin left. So apparently it is up to him whether Gauthier goes or not. So I guess we have a rookie president too.

3. Roger Rabbit says:

Florida Panther Krys Barch was thrown out of the game because linesman Darren Gibbs heard him use a racial slur against PK Subban.

Dumb move by Krys Barch.

(reported by CBC)

4. krob1000 says:

What is better? To deal first….likely to teams fighting for the lower spots and likely getting better picks…….or waiting until the deadline, risking no deals but possibly creating a bidding war?

5. LatheDog says:

If Boivin is not with the team anymore then who took his spot? Who is the president of this franchise?

• SPATS says:

That would be the poster boy for nepotism gone wrong… Geoff Molson

He really needs to fire himself and get back to counting his inheritance instead of imagining he can handle the job

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

6. chilli says:

I hear Barch went racial on PK and that’s why he got the ejected.

Tre

7. Bozo McBozo says:

Rag on the Gomer all you want, but at least he suited up. You can’t say the same for Markov!

8. rogieshan says:

No point in piling on, so I will say this: In Subban, Emelin and Diaz (along with Tinordi and Beaulieu) we have the building blocks of a strong defense for years to come. Eller is also a keeper upfront.

9. duffy says:

Nice to see one of the future smurfs get player of the game honors for Team Canada tonight.

10. Trade Price and what is this team left with?

The Habs are missing their #1 defence man. 2/3 of their top line line and their enforcer. How many teams would be in it if they were missing such wealth?

• The Dude says:

Dave …yer killing it tonite ,lol But what do I know,I’m a fair weathered Fan which I guess is better than being wrong and Tar and Feathered.

• SPATS says:

Agreed, but we can’t expect any of them back healthy enough to make a difference anytime soon. They might as well stay on the sidelines as this year has become an extended training camp

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

12. Bozo McBozo says:

This team flat out stinks!

13. habsolutely416 says:

looking forward to the trade deadline….

ill be in the slot ;)

14. aj says:

Looking at the Schedule of the Canadiens for January and what I can see are 4 strong teams playing against them at the start.

Jan. 4, Wed – Winnipeg
    Jan. 7, Sat – Tampa Bay
    Jan. 10, Tue – St. Louis
    Jan. 12, Thu – Boston

The funny thing here is this, they have LOTS of time to fix their offence in between games. If Cunneyworth and his posse won’t get the job done, I’m pretty sure those french language protesters who are going to rally at the Bell Centre on the 7th won’t be only complaining about an Anglophone coach but also an Incompetent anglo coach (i’m not saying he is but ppl here find reasons to make him one) who can’t seem to make his team unscrew their heads and step-up to their game against 29 NHL teams.

I guarantee as well here from now on, if this team will loose against the Jets and the Lighting at the start of this Month, FORGET IT!! Don’t waste your time watching games b/c we already know they’re not going to make the playoffs. If they win these 2 games and then the next consecutive ones, they MIGHT still have a chance. But other than that, its WHATEVER!!!

15. habstrinifan says:

I want my Mommy!

16. alfieturcotte says:

How bad is Gauthier? Not only did he waste $6 million on Markov, when it was finally clear to him that Markov was damaged goods, he spent another couple of million on Campolli, followed by $4.5 Million for the most overrated liability out there, Kaberle….So by my math, that makes close to $13 milllion for 3 guys that aren’t or should not be playing…….Good thing he had the smarts to sign Gorges for 3 years.

Fire our Mickey Mouse GM, Fire Gauthier.

• habstrinifan says:

Especially Kaberle!

Look what has happened. Two players.. Gomez and Kaberle.

Most hockey people were aware of the shortcomings of both players and stayed away from them.

Not PG. He made the same mistake TWICE! Assumed huge contracts of ‘washed-up’ or overpaid players. I know BG was GM for Gomez but PG ad a big hand.

Unbelievable really!

• alfieturcotte says:

While I believe that Gomez was 100% Gainey, I just do not understand how Gauthier goes out and trades for Kaberle knowing how hefty a price we have paid for Gomez in terms of salary cap. Inexcusable, and should be fired simply for this move let alone the dozen other flops…..

• aj says:

I wonder how much Gauthier is payed by screwing up this team? You can add up the numbers along with those injured and underachieving players like Gomez and we can have a pretty good idea how much the owner is losing money at this point. Funny thing is, we can’t see Gauthier’s $ salary on Capgeek.com.

17. habs001 says:

I still dont see that much of a difference between this team and the last 2 years…this team played many bad games the last 2 years but won those games…the reality is that the results were better the last two years but the team was not…a lot of posters really over estimate many players on this team..the lack of scoring has existed for over 200 games…

• chilli says:

I completely agree with this post. Our leading scorer last year had 57 points. What did everyone expect in terms of our offense? Our best young guys are Eller, DD, Max, PK, Diaz, Emelin and they are getting a ton of ice time. Next year, they will all be greatly improved.

Whoever is claiming that the team should trade Price knows NOTHING about NHL hockey. He is playing with a terrible D in front of him and we can’t have a team where our goalie has to steal one to get a win (which was pretty much the case last year). Carey is probably the 5th best in the league and that is awesome.

Cole came as advertised. The Markov, Gomez, Gio, Camarro, Kaberle situation sucks – but someone will fix that in the off-season.

The team is actually playing better under new coach – he can’t score for them.

We’re not making the playoffs and it’s all my fault anyway. Before the first game of the season versus the Leafs, I declared “whoever wins this game makes the playoffs, the loser doesn’t” as Toronto and Montreal so rarely make the playoffs the same year.

Will we EVER have a playoffs series against them?

Tre

• aj says:

If we are going to sum up the Canadiens from 2009 to present, basically, they defined themselves as: from good – to bad – to worse. Period.

This bilingual franchise is I think one of the worst or if not THE worst franchise in any of the 4 major sports leagues in North America. Its rank 3rd in Forbes Magazine’s in high value ($445 million) and like the city that’s full of politicians and corruption looming over, this team is like a mirror example of just how crazy a hockey player is willing to stay here and play.

Sadly, this team has a corrupt management and an ill-prepared administration, down all the way to the players themselves. The biggest victim here is the current owner of the Canadiens.

18. Curtis O Habs says:

Way to go Emelin. On a positive note, I can`t remember the last time a Dman landed two solid hits on the same shift. Nice work.

19. vic says:

I Think the team is playing better now than whem JM was in control

• Curtis O Habs says:

4sure.

• JF says:

Yet we were in 9th place when Jacques Martin was fired. Now we’re in 13th. Randy Cunneyworth is 1-6. I don’t think we’re playing better overall. We have some good flashes, but we’re worse defensively, and Price is not playing at the level he needs to be. The Islanders are 3 points behind us with 3 games in hand. They’ll overtake us in the next couple of weeks. Even allowing for loser points, we’re playing at only a little over .333.

20. nova scotia vees says:

So disappointed in RC…I think Gainey is still coaching this team. LeBlanc should have played. And why take Eller off the Cole line? As for Price…always good for a softie. And why pull the goalie with 50 seconds to go and no control? Check the success rate of that dumb strategy…about 5%. Sad state of affairs.

21. habstrinifan says:

Sorry folks but this is WORSE than the LEAFS under Harold Ballard. And I was in Toronto thru all that. Balalrd helpe dthe LAFfs FANS deal with the misery… he was so outrageous and colourful.

We have no comic relief.

The Habs need an enforcer.

23. habstrinifan says:

There really is no point in carrying on AS IS. The players are now STEALING from the fans based on their play. Their game tonight was not at the leel you expect from a team in dire danger of being eliminated from playoff contention by next week.

It is time! Clean House NOW….right down to the Zamboni driver if he/she was in any way connected to the bg/pg/jm/tc/rl/pp/?????? coterie.

24. slapshot777 says:

Bolivian has already left. Last season I believe.

25. mfDx says:

On a different note, a serious question:
    Are players allowed to ditch the helmet and mouthguards for the shootout? Why not? It’s their only opportunity to let their hair flow in the wind. Great photo ops. I just watched another shootout with guys chewing on their mouthguards as they skate in.

Sent from my CHphone

26. LatheDog says:

Shouldn’t a lot of the blame be placed on Pierre Boivin, the president of the Montreal Canadiens? Isn’t he the one that hires the GM’s for this franchise? He is rarely mentioned. Why???? Maybe he should also leave along with Gauthier.

27. Barts says:

Hey Gauthier, why don’t you do everyone a favor in 2012.

28. krob1000 says:

duchene out 4-6 weeks in colorado…..1 point out of a playoff spot…a team that doesn’t pay to the cap….wanna make a deal?

• HardHabits says:

They already gave away their picks for Varlamov.

I hope you are not saying the Habs need to make a move to salvage this season.

The Habs need to make moves to salvage the franchise. First step. Tank.

29. FuzE_gus says:

Well, looks like I’ll have more time this winter to work on my Yahtzee or train my dog to spit tic-tacs…long, cold winter ahead…keep warm boys!

With Regards from FuzE_gus

• realist2012 says:

After watching the last 2 games, it has been interesting. The Canadiens need to play consistent hockey, need to play smart hockey and to be realistic, the chances of making the playoffs are very slim. They should drop this year, get a higher draft pick actually draft someone who can make the NHL already and build from there.

People can blame Price all they want, however, when they are only scoring 1 goal a game its really hard for Price to take blame. The Offence from guys such as Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta (yes i know he’s injured) Cammy, AK46 is not there. We can blame Gauthier, the coaches, the President, however, in the end the players need to be held responsible and Gauthier needs to put his foot down and say play or be traded.

I would send Gomez to Hamilton just because he’s doing nothing (yes i know he’s injured). For this season, all players except Leblanc, Price, Emelin and Diaz should be available for trade if a good offer is made. The Habs need to rebuild and it will take another 3-4 years before they can be Cup Contenders and yes, I know Montreal fans can be ignorant and don’t know Hockey, but they need to accept the fact that the Habs need to rebuild.

Also, we can’t have guys miss on breakaways like Eller did today and Pleks did last game.

If I were Pierre Gauthier, I would make an announcement to the team and state nobody’s job is safe at this point. Trade deadline is March, a lot can be done before then and if Gauthier was smart, go after draft picks and players like Mark Stone, Ryan Strome and Jaden Schwartz who are playing exceptional hockey for Team Canada.

In my opinion, the Habs season is done, I would bring up rookies and make them play and clean up Hamilton and the system and start trading guys like Cammy, Pleks who still have value left in them and can get potentially a good player for now and a draft pick or youngster.

2012 is up we will see if anything good can come from the HABS.

-HABS Fan For Life, but lets be realistic

• aj says:

The thing is, if the Habs are going after young hotshots who are at the WJC like Mark Stone, Ryan Strome, Jaden Schwartz or Jonathan Huberdeau, I don’t think any of their respected NHL teams would make that trade.

Look at Mark Stone, this guy is very good at Center. He’s drafted in Ottawa in 2010, do you think the Sens will make a trade now that they’re seeing his performance (by the way, congrats to Team Canada beating USA 3-2)? I don’t think so!

• habstrinifan says:

I have a feeling that more than half the team would welcome being traded from Mtl. Nevermind the “great place to play” things they say.

There is no life in this franchise at present.

• theox_8 says:

Diaz has impressed but if your putting him in your untouchables , he is pretty much a dime a dozen in the nhl. mab just the same player with more skill

30. jmsheehy19 says:

I’m getting really tired of the officiating. Not blaming the loss on them, we couldn’t score and that’s the main thing.

but the the inconsistency and downright incompetence of the refs is disgraceful.

31. habstrinifan says:

waaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppp!

Sorry for being an IDIOT…. but I dont know how else to react.

32. The Dude says:

Well after 19 years of this bullspit I hope everyone has figured we need A REAL G.M. …………

33. JoeC says:

Woot Price is the reason we suck, the only reason.

Stop blaming 1 player, this team as a whole is a mess…

We need a real defence, Josh Gorges woudl be a third pairing D on ANY team except montreal, and Gill would be bought out or playing in the AHL on any other team

Ya, keep blaming Price, thats it, its ALLLLLLLLLLL his fault, surrreeee

34. Da Hema says:

Geoff Molson has the Midas Touch in reverse. Everything he touches turns to shit.

35. Habtastic says:

Before the game I still had the fight in me, that it wasn’t over, that we could do this. Now I’m just resigned to the fact that we are done. I still want us to win, but we are done barring a miracle and even Markov after the AS break is not near that. Really depressing. The only thing we can now do is cheer for whoever is playing the leafs.

Fwiw I think we have a good team. I can’t explain how they play so badly. Did clemenson have to make one difficult save?

• aj says:

Forget Markov, he’s a Hack! As much as everybody wants him back ASAP, those hopes died down as the season progressed and the year 2011 became so evidently clear that the team can move on without him!

Its a shame Gauthier wasted Molson’s money for signing a liability for 3 years.

36. Sal says:

The ship has gone down, build a new one. Keep the core (is CP still in the core?), dump the rest. Problem is, who wants anybody, not part of the core, big problem…BTW, don’t let PG make another panic move.This is OVER, accept it and move in the right direction. Habs have 5 kids in the WJC, hopefully three can cut it. We’ll be back in contention in a few short years. Cheers Ya’all.

Sal from the Hammer

37. twilighthours says:

As sucky as this team is – and oh boy does it suck – I’m surprised at the short/selective memory from some of you re: plekanec. He’s been our best player for years. Maybe cut him some slack for his bad few weeks?

—————————————————————–

38. CF says:

I guess Pleks is getting no sleep at all,…………….right?
    Glad to see PG travelled with team to take in some sunshine for New Year’s. What a celebration.

PG, before he’s fired, should sign AK, Moen, and Gorges so he can be remembered for something other than addressing none of the teams shortcomings in the summer of 2011, except for Cole. We needed much more.

Gotta say though, if nothing else, it’s nice to see Blunden on the team. He can actually win some battles on the boards, and he doesn’t ever give up. He’s Moen without the goals.

39. wtf

i was under the impression, due to the impressive offensive thrust displayed in Ottawa and Tampa Bay, that we would see more of the same this game against the Panthers. Then we had intensity, drive, the lines seemed to create a stir on all cyclinders…My biggest beef, Why on LeBlanc???? Why no Eller with Cole… previously, the line seemed to click…instead we dress seven defencemen…and only 11 forwards, then put Plekanac on the top line…etc. The result, yet another close loss….our offence was scattered. The team didn’t have consistency. Depressing you bet….

• Sal says:

Good points

Sal from the Hammer

• twilighthours says:

That offensive thrust in Ottawa was Craig Anderson playing poorly.

—————————————————————–

• Mondou6 says:

Good point about LeBlanc…He plays great, then is sat down?

Same as scapegoating Eller and Subban.

Cunneyworth is a lame duck, but he’s coaching like he is a lapdog for Gauthier.

If RC had any balls at all, he would sit Price, Pleckanic, Cammaleri, and other sacred cows who are killing us.

I’m amazed that this guy keeps running out the same boring failures in the lineup every game, even now that he is 1-6 with them. He’s insane.

• Rad says:

One of the reasons Gauthier gave for firing JM was lack of consistency with the lines …. so what does he think now of Randy the Macho Man Cunneyworth, who seems to be suffering from the same disease as his predecessor. And this, after being on record as saying he wanted to keep his new lines together for an extended period to allow them to develop chemistry.

Bad on Randy for not sticking to his plan.

• habstrinifan says:

Agreed. And your word scattered is perfect. They looked scattered.

40. billylove says:

Just a reminder, January 1 is the date when “throw in the towel for the season” becomes official. Prior to January 1, it was technically considered unofficial. So, as the clock clicks down, make up your mind.