Liveblog: Canadiens drop first game of California trip

HondaCenter

AUDIOLouis LeblancTravis MoenJacques MartinSaku KoivuRandy Carlyle

And they looked like crap in losing 4-1 to the 29th team in the NHL.
On to San Jose and L.A.
Looking grim, folks.

1,172 Comments

1. deuce6 says:

This team needs to be gutted from upstairs all the way down to ice level…Trade Cammy/Gionta for whatever you can get..I don’t care, just get the cap space and picks..Either buy Gomez out or bury him in the AHL..Let Cole play out his contract…Change the culture..Team is becoming too passive and complacent..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Sotxhabsfan says:

I agree we need a fire sale. Everything must go! The team has quit on JM, so JM must go, but everyone who has quit on JM needs to go too. I don’t want a team full of quitters being rewarded for quitting.

2. samTHEman says:

Habs need an enforcer

3. kempie says:

I bet Muller speaks French better than Martin coaches.

4. Matt. says:

Don’t worry, the leafs lost as well tonight.
    The difference is they lost to the best team in the NHL while the Habs lost to the worse

5. Marc10 says:

Ouch. I got called for jury duty and had to give it a miss. Glad I did. Guilty!

Paging Jacques Lemaire and Larry…

6. AnimalMother says:

We need some commitment to winning:
    1) fire Martin
    2) send Gomez to minors
    3) hire anyone (I’ll take Maurice, I would)
    4) waive Darche, seriously, waive Darche
    5) sign 3L
    6) get healthy
    7) use Gomez money and find some grinders

7. Dave Stubbs says:

Props to La Presse sports editor Jean-François Bégin, whom I credit with the tweet of the season tonight.

As I watched the Habs go down the toilet, I tweeted a paraphrase of the comment that HAL 9000 made to astronaut Dave Bowman in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey when Bowman was disconnecting the computer: “My mind is going…”

Bégin immediately picked up on the theme, suggesting that had HAL been watching the Habs power play, he’d NOT have been able to utter Bowman’s line spoken as the last words in the film: “My God, it’s full of stars!”

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

8. Mike D says:

I truly feel bad for Gill tonight. Blocking all those shots for a team that showed no desire to win. I sincerely hope Skillzy gives’em all shit in the room tonight.

– Honestly yours

Ticket prices just went up at the Phone Booth.

10. Rickly33 says:

We have better in the minors than pk great trade bait. Listen we have tanordi and Nash in two years, we need to rebuild, I like pk too but you need to stop thinking individuals, there’s issues in that room. I’m just saying.

11. deuce6 says:

How many teams keep their coach after only winning 10 games in 2 months of hockey?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

12. tehmat says:

I posted a solution on craigslist…

Help Wanted: Montreal Canadiens Head Coach

13. anotherhab says:

It’s not all that bad losing to Ducks — hopefully just closer to Martin getting canned!! A couple of more losses on the coast and just maybe it will happen. I’d recomend taking them bowling in San Jose Jacque!

14. samTHEman says:

Solution is rather simple:

1) Assassinate Geoff Molson
    2) Fire Gauthier, Martin
    3) Hire any GM and coach available. Here’s the catch: must have two testicles.
    4) Hire Pearn
    5) Re-fire Pearn
    6) Waive Gomez
    7) Tazer Cammalleri before each game
    8) Repeat

15. AnimalMother says:

Worst performance from a team in the NHL this season.

As previously stated, I concur that Martin MUST GO! This team, in particular Cammalleri, has lost whatever confidence they had, if any at all, in the coaching staff.

Why did we sign Nokia? And please waive the hell outta Darche! That ship has sailed.
    Our fourth line could get pushed around by a peewee team.

Absolutely embarrassing. Please keep losing.

Signed,
    Angry, depressed and upset

16. JayBee says:

We asked 2 failures from the Senators to build/lead our team. What do you expect? It has been said by several people for so long. This team will always be fighting for a spot with the present coach and management. We need a complete change in vision. Gainey, Gauthier, Martin…OUT! One of Cunneyworth/Ladouceur OUT (3 defensive minded coaches behind the bench? LOL)

I’m willing to deal with not making the playoffs if it means this entire team gets an overhaul.

17. montreal ace says:

I dont know why so many posters want this team to tank, seems to me their doing an excellent job.edit lol tanking of course, lol

• Propwash says:

You hit the nail on the head, the tankards should be rejoicing after every loss.

_____________________________
      Being negative has its advantages,
      you’re never disappointed.

• AnimalMother says:

Agreed. Hope they keep it up.

Embarrassing.

• samTHEman says:

Molson is raking in the dough. What’s the problem? Mediocrity at its finest. I’m usually not a pessimist after a loss. I give my team the benefit of the doubt. However tonight, I’ve lost all sense of rationality after this despicable loss. The ducks were lost in their zone in the 1st period. When Gionta is flying in the zone and doing spinoramas, you know something is up. The Ducks were simply absent. The habs took advantage and scored on even strength. All it took was one long shift for the Ducks in our zone to realize how puny and passive their opponents were, and that they could possibly have a 3rd win in 16 games if they tried a little harder. Result: 4-1 Ducks. FML!

18. The Dude says:

Fore…………………………………

19. Propwash says:

Funnyhow HIO gets over 1k hits after a game at 10pm EST, after they lose.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

20. Rickly33 says:

This is from a long time fan and hockey player, I think suban hit his peak, gill has taught him all he can, I think that all we are going to see from ok

21. Curtis O Habs says:

Budaj played well.

22. Hoegarden says:

They lads officially quit on JM tonight. Not one of them deserved to wear that sweater, regardless of system, coach, injuries or whatever. I hope you folks in Montreal let them have it when they return.

23. Lafrich says:

I just realized something. Of course we lost. We are without our number 1 center – Gomez didn’t play.

24. rjonline1 says:

Haha me and some friends got this going – I hope you guys enjoy. Add some! http://www.quickmeme.com/Clueless-Jacques/oldest/?upcoming

25. Rickly33 says:

I hear Bobby Ryan is available

26. Habziefan09 says:

If that was not an example of a team quitting on their coach and management, I have no idea what is. Defense out to lunch, 1 or 2 shots total in the 3rd period against a team that constantly pisses it’s pants when the play a game in November.

WTH is it going to take for Mr Molson to locate his ****ing balls and start firing people. He serves over priced watered down beer, hotdogs I would not pay 50cents for, tickets that are 400% more expensive than ANY arena in the whole US of A.. Not to mention that damn joke of an opening night … no emotion to a song from the “Lost Boys” Sound track. Damn right they are lost.. because no one knows how to steer the Bleeping ship!

SO MR MOLSON, REACH DOWN, FIND THEM.. MAKE SURE THEY ARE STILL THERE AND THEN GIVE US A DAMN TEAM WORTH CHEERING ABOUT RATHER THAN WORRYING ABOUT YOUR DAMN STINKING BOTTOM LINE, YOU CRETIN!

____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

I read your comments folks and it’s music to my ears.

28. Just A Guy says:

If Geoff Molson thought that the habs are going to play themselves out of a playoff spot, losing out on millions of revenue, would he take the hit and fire Martin with his million dollar penalty clause?

Bruce Boudreau just got fired and the only ego he has to really deal with is Subban, who the players take care of really anyway.

Just sayin…

29. durocher says:

3 shots in the third, despite having 2 PPs. 0 for 7 on the PP.

Embarrassing. Unacceptable.

30. szthecatman says:

Brutal… Enough said

31. otter649 says:

#13 & #21 are playing like I thought they may 2 years from now but not now – So in 2 years it is going to be ugly with those two gents……..

32. Rainrocket16 says:

I will be at the Game tomorrow…Is it too late to sell these tickets. What a joke tonight! I know Anaheim needed a win real bad but damn we pretty much handed the W to them… Looks like a long night of drinking…hell a long week!

33. Habies says:

I only followed this game online (ie; reading Boone on this page) here in Yangoon (Burma). Hilary’s here today. at least that is mildly exciting. It’s also World AIDS Day, so I guess that puts things in perspective. Anyway, The game started at 9:30am (great way to start work at the office) and ended now, around noon. Everyone: even just reading it, was painful. It’s infrequent days like these when I’m happy the connection’s too crap and I can’t watch games. My condolences to you all. Reading each update from Boone and your comments of agony and dismissive shame, felt like pulling one vein out of someone’s arm until they die. The only solace I have is that this could very well be a “tell-tale game” for PG and I hope that every minute of that 3rd period was a harrowing bell in his head that these players want to be let free and not locked down into a shackeling system because it just won’t work as they seek consistency. I reckon JM will be toast after the coast…. He’ll come back, be fired. Toast with a tan. Here’s hoping for all those in power across the world to make some good and hopeful decisions over the next few weeks….

Habs just traded Leblanc and a 2nd round pick for Koivu.

35. Propwash says:

I think the team needs to hit up Crescent street, and go batchit crazy……seemed to have paid off a few seasons ago….

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

36. shakey says:

What an absolute horrid, excremental disgrace of a turd of a game, and a team. No effort, no hustle, no power play, no emotion. One of the worst games I have ever seen – with a lead on the road that should be a text book start to a road game. then the power play chances squandered and right down the toilet for the entire team.

I have a long fuse for not speaking about changes needed by this team, but this was the end. Something has to change – what coach do we need to fire or hire to get us a power play? It is an absolute abomination. What players do we need to trade or bench? if they didn’t play tomorrow night, this game deserves a triple bag skate. Even though they do play tomorrow night, they should be made to bag skate when they get back to Montreal if for no other reason than to give the fans some sort of satisfaction.

Trade cammalleri, fire the coach, fire all the coaches! i don’t care – I don’t want to watch another minute of this pathetic excuse for a hockey club in its current form. We soon better be hearing about closed door meetings or something, because this was brutal. I feel sick thinking about it anymore. what a complete travesty.

Awful, horrid, disgusting, shameful, disgraceful, embarrassing.

37. doogie says:

Lifeless! No air in the lungs, no blood in the veins! No heart beating in this chest. Vital signs absent. Very sad.

38. sackabooboo says:

That was embarrassing. I read and hear so much about how close the team is and how much they love playing together and being a Canadien. If any of that is true, then they must not like the coach. It is easy to blame him, but there is no way a team with Pleks, Gionta,Cammalleri, Subban, Price, Kostitsyn, and Cole can be this poor on the PP. NO WAY! The effort tonight was terrible. I will be a Hab fan for life, but they are making it pretty hard. Get rid of Ears McGee and let’s turn this season around.

And we may be the softest team in the NHL.

39. Corson27 says:

Well boys and girls this is not your daddy’s Montreal Canadiens.

………………………………………….
    I am sick and tired of mediocrity

• Billyboy says:

Is there any way that RDS can get copies of games from the 60’s to replace the upcoming canadien’s games?

I would rather watch a hair cut than the garbage I stayed up to
      watch tonight. The Laffs were never that bad. Pathetic!

40. DLS HAB says:

Pathetic. No excuses. Just Pathetic.

41. Chuck says:

Well, it’s safe to say that wasn’t the most thrilling 3 hours of my life.

42. OneTimer says:

did a Hab win a single one-on-one battle tonight?

43. Wnapper says:

Special Teams are killing us! Brutal PP! This team should be ashamed of themselves. I’m disgusted. As a fan since 1961, I’m not sure I can take it much longer. Either get some players who care or fire the entire coaching staff! This is ridiculous watching this poor excuse for a team! Even the Laffs are better! That’s hard to take!

44. Sotxhabsfan says:

What? No Habs in the 3 stars? AN OUTRAGE I TELL YA!
    On a serious note. I know there are injuries and suspensions to key players, but Cammy should be watching the next game from the box.
    I only caught the third period thanks to working late, but I’m going to need a few Jack Daniels to get that debacle out of my head.
    It’s pretty sad when Anaheim announcers are commenting on how bad the Habs look.
    I’m beginning to think we need a mass Pearning. At this point I only want to keep Price, Emelin, and Cole.
    Now for that Jack…..

• Jim Edson says:

I voted for:

NADA
      Nunca
      Niente

The most deserving three!
      ———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

45. RGM says:

This is a squad that looked like it had absolutely no interest in playing a game of hockey tonight. Why is it that a team languishing in 12th place feels that it doesn’t have to show up and put in an effort to overcome a bottom-dweller? Why is there no intensity? Why isn’t there a sense of desperation that season could very well be ending on April 7th? Why? Why? Why?

I stayed up for this crap? Folks, we’ve had enough of a sample size that we can start drawing some conclusions about this squad, and I got news for ya: you may not like what you’re going to see.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

46. TheMock780 says:

Martin cannot be back next season. Gommalleri (not sure who came up with the nickname but it’s a good one) cannot be back next year. Use that 14 million in cap space on players who show up every night.

Markov’s return won’t save this team. Who knows how long it’ll take him to get back to playing the way he can and even if he’s good for one PP goal a game it won’t be enough. My greatest fear though is that his return does do enough for a valiant yet futile run to 9th place that encourages the organization to keep the status-quo

I think the Habs need to dress 8 defense men next game then go bowling. It worked for Carbo.

48. billylove says:

I nominate that one as one of the top ten post lockout stinkers. Pathetic.

49. punkster says:

Bowling.

That’s what they need to do.

Go bowling.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

50. Habbu says:

We have become bottom feeders….never thought I would see the day when the org would let the situation get this bad

Heh… after tonight I bet Bobby Ryan says “if you trade me to Habs I ain’t going”.

52. duffy says:

I hope they lose the next half dozen games so the Molsons will have to make changes.

53. Habsolutely says:

the sad thing is they will probably eke out a win against the Kings or the Sharks and will continue to stumble thru the season. JM will not be let go do to his friendship with PG and Molsons unwillingness to dish out the million dollar bonus PG gave him. This pathetic display is what we will be watching the rest of the season.

54. Feraco says:

Ladies and gentleman, it has been a pleasure, looking forward to brighter days

55. danigord says:

post game….
    JM… I thought we did some things well…. we got into some penalty trouble… we played well enough to win… what else?

56. Corson27 says:

Sharks will eat them alive.

This team needs a culture change as they said when they cleaned out the Leafs a few years back.

57. Frank2468 says:

So did everyone enjoy our puck possession team tonight? I just wasted 2 and half hours of my life on garbage.

• Frank2468 says:

So what is Martin going to say tonight in his post game interview. I feel we had our chances and controlled the puck well and on our 7 power plays, we had at least 1 maybe 2 good scoring chances. We have to be able to capitalize on those situations.

OMFG give me a break

58. onlychineseguy says:

Dear Geoff Molson, I trust that you are an intelligent man, I hope that after watching tonight’s game from your home you will come to the same conclusion as myself and all Habs fans: Gauthier and Martin have to go. We are sick and tired of mediocrity. I bet that yourself and your family did not pay $550 million for the Habs to tolerate absolute garbage like tonight also. I trust that you will do the right thing very soon. Thanks.

59. NorthernHab says:

Did we get a SOG in the third? How many points did Brad March get last night?

60. PeterD says:

Coach, Coach, Coach…Pierre please get the team a Coach.

61. bellcentre hotdog says:

Instead of going bowling, and given they are in Anaheim, maybe JM should take the team on the Pirates of the Carribean.

62. Feraco says:

The worst game I have ever seen by Montreal.

The players have publicly spoken out against Martin’s strategy.

We cant see behind the scenes but looks like this team is just fed up and lost.

Hope they can get that positive energy back, win or lose, but this team is a mess.

Good thing we play tomorrow so we can forget about this one

63. jo_maka says:

I for one am utterly, thoroughly, unapologetically disgusted….
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

64. syrrosis says:

We’ll get those dying ducks next time! We’re saving out best for San Jose. Gio will school big joe.

65. habstrinifan says:

Nite ALL!

66. PeterD says:

Only good thing about tonights game is that I live on the west coast so it’s only 9:20 PM here…I feel bad for all the folks back east that stayed up for this dogs breakfast of a game.

67. ffenliv says:

After this game, I hope all the Bobby Ryan talk goes away. This team is *obviously* more than 1 player away from …. ever winning a game again, and giving up prospects and picks is the last thing this team needs to do.

68. JERM says:

Trades aren’t going to fix this mess!
    Markov coming back isn’t going to fix this mess!
    So do 23 players get fired?
    Does the coach get fired?

I am exasperated. All I know is I am going to bed and I ain’t watching tomorrow’s game. I think I will have better things to do then watch a repeat of this garbage.

69. Lafrich says:

Depressing. And I am an optimist. Ask Timo.

70. P St. Pierre says:

Markov, please.

71. syrrosis says:

Good on hagman. He was the best ex leaf tonight.

Lets hope Kings and Sharks finish them off good.