Liveblog: The CH juggernaut

159992766_slide

After a scoreless first period, the Canadiens blew a tight game open with two goals in 57 seconds .
With the Canadiens enjoying a two-man advantage, Tomas Plekanec opened the scoring on a nice pass by Andrei Markov.
Then, still on the PP, Markov converted a Max Pacioretty feed to make it 2-0.
Most dangerous lead in hockey?
Not tonight.
Great work by Rene Bourque produced a goal for linemate Brian Gionta.
Then with less than two minutes left in the period, Josh Gorges, of all people, blew one past Michal Neuvirth, who was being screened by the giant body of David Desharnais.

Raphael Diaz continued his fine play with two assists.

For the second straight game, Max Pacioretty had a couple helpers.

1. Strummer says:

Adam Oates dressed like a funeral director

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

2. Mavid says:

ziggy ziggy hoy hoy

3. Strummer says:

Centre Ice has the TSN broadcast which would normally be blacked out in the GTA

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

4. Stevie.Ray says:

Tonight I continue my research of other teams announcers by listening to the Washington broadcast. I always expect there to be some hometown bias, but the fairest I’ve heard is the Tampa announcers. The FLA announcers were ok. The play-by-play guy was good, and the color commenter was ok except when he got angry then he would suddenly become the Queen of Hearts: “Off with their heads”.

Okay Markov, continue where you left off!

6. Strummer says:

Maiden live-blog for my new TV. Five-year-old Panasonic died in December.by Mike Boone 1/25/2013 12:04:09 AM 7:04 PM

My 2 year old samsung is crapping-out.
    Don’t make ‘em like they used to

“It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

7. Propwash says:

Boone, would you ever consider doing your blog tour again? Blogging at a fellow HIOer’s house?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

8. Danno says:

Boone, your TV is tax-deductible as it is a business expense

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. Blondie says:

Looks like the hamsters are coughing up blood already.

10. Strummer says:

Q. What does the HIO server have in common with the Hamilton Bulldogs?

A. They’re both trying to upgrade from Commodores

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

11. MrNax says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the Habs have 11mil in cap space for next year, as of now. Should the buy Kaberle out, they’ll have 15 million with 10 guys to sign.
    They’ll likely try to keep Desharnais for ~3.5 mil. That leaves say 4.5 mil for Subban.

So they gotta sign 8 guys for 7 million…. That’s trouble.

Thoughts?

• Strummer says:

Kab has only 1 year @$4.25 should be able to trade him at the deadline.

Question- Are teams now able to keep parts of contracts and cap space in trades now?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jols101 says:

You are right, even with trading or buying out Kaberle, they are still in big trouble. They will have to unload one of the 5 million dollar cap hits up front at the trade deadline or in the summer -Gio or Pleks.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

That’s Gainey and Gauthier economics for you MB will have his work cut out for him.

• SlovakHab says:

omg, DD for 3.5M is a joke.
      sorry to his fans, but to me he isn’t worth having on the team. we are fine with Plekanec, Galchenyuk & Eller. DD can’t defend, skate fast or hit.

12. Phil C says:

I was at the Tampa-Washington home opener on Saturday. I wish I had a better scouting report, but by my third $13 tallboy, my observations were pretty much limited to “You suck Ovechkin!!” But what I did notice:

– The Ward-Hendricks-Chimera line gave the Bolts a lot of trouble. They will test the Habs D on the forecheck and Hendrick won everything in the faceoff circle. I’m not sure this will be a good matchup for the Gally line, but we’ll see;

– Ovechkin played the point on the PP, but I didn’t think he was that strong back there. Maybe a SH goal for Pleks tonight?

– Ovechkin destroyed a couple of guys with big hits, he is bigger than I thought. Otherwise, his line did nothing. I read that he is slowly adjusting to RW after playing mostly LW in his career;

– I didn’t think the Capitals are that strong on D, so hopefully the Habs can generate some offense.

13. Propwash says:

Mickey Ribs kinda reminds me of Zach Laflamme from Goon.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

14. sreuel says:

Flyers Hartnell out 4 weeks broken foot

15. habsfan0 says:

Will Beyonce be lip synching the national anthem at tonight’s game?

16. For all you folks not in front of a TV at the moment: http://atdhe.so/watch.php?id=573537.

17. Propwash says:

Price and Gorges are going to be at the auto show this Saturday for autograph sessions, I’m bringing my sons Habs t-shirt for them to sign. Granted, he can never wear the thing again.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

18. cojohnso80 says:

Here’s a tantalizing thought,,,,,how could we look in 8 years (not considering future drafts as we will be drafting very low ;) ,,and considering prospect development max achievement) This roster doesnt look too bad

Patches Galchenyuk Kristo
    Hudon Eller Collberg
    Bozon Leblanc Gallagher
    Geoffrion/Vail Bournival Pribyl

Subban Tinordi
    Beaulieu Emilin
    Thrower Ellis
    Dietz

Price

19. L Elle says:

BGally, the smiling bandit. Love that kid. He’s looking forward, and finds it fun he’ll be up against Ovie.

20. FlyAngler says:

P K is a great talent to be sure but he still has quite a way to go before people claim that he is the Habs best defenseman. That status still belongs to Andrei Markov who proved the other night that when he is healthy, he is the Habs go to guy on the back end . P K is partially proven but needs to continue to develop both on and off the ice. Those claiming that he is already the Habs’ best player or Dman need to lay off the Jamaica Gold.

21. Danno says:

HIO server holding out for more pay or maybe a trade:

Not Found

The requested URL /boone/liveblog-canadiens-at-washington/comment-page-2 was not found on this server.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. Propwash says:

I kinda miss Hammer.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. habsfan0 says:

If Habs skaters are as fast as HIO server tonight,they don’t stand a chance.

24. stevieboy says:

Gifted journalist, Stubbs, allowing the reader to form his/her own opinion. Gotta tell you tho that at work, everyone was with Bergevin on this one, we all read it and all hear PK’s points, but he comes across as a bit out of touch. Hes up a tree and I hope he quickly gets a ladder to come down.

Stevie

25. ZepFan2 says:

Let the lagging commence.

Sigh

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

26. ZepFan2 says:

Let the lagging commence.

ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

Sigh

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

27. Danno says:

Le 5 a 7’s Andre Roy is like a French Adam Sandler

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. cojohnso80 says:

Sebastian Collberg has caught fire in the Eliteserien. It looks like he is finally getting some top 6 minutes in Frolunda.

29. cojohnso80 says:

30. Harditya says:

The last thing you guys should do is trust what Tsn/L’Antichambre is speculating. Subban’s not going anywhere. He’ll be a Hab for a long time.

• SlovakHab says:

Could live with that.
      But – if we got a player of Tavares calibre back, I’d wish PK all the best elsewhere :)

• K-hab25 says:

Somebody last night actually said he would turn down Tavares and Neiderider for PK. I literally couldn’t believe he was serious. A point per game, young, #1 center and a prospect is not enough for a 35 point defenseman. LMFAO

31. habstrinifan says:

Habilis posts:
    ” Abe Hefter @hefteronthehabs
    As per @JFChaumont : Don Meehan says PK Subban has told him to try to resolve this quickly with #HABS. #Contract”

Thanks Habils… I do believe this recent development, for as you say Chaumont is a credible journalist.

So you know me. I have to read between the LINES. I mean it’s so apparent eh. Meehan (on his own) cant ‘resolve this quickly’ unless one of two things happens:

Resolution #1… good for HABS (in my humble opinion): Meehan drops his demands to where MB can say YES!
    P.K signs and it’s all resolved save for the necessary dressing room stuff which would have to be done if they are smart.

Resolution #2…(good for P.K and HIO hits). News of an offer sheet suddenly comes to life and things get interesting.

Why else would Meehan be putting this ‘directive’ from P.K out. In resolution #1 it makes it look as if P.K stepped in and ‘ordered’ Meehan to be ‘more reasonable’.. and P.K’s image is rehabilitated some. Clever cover by the agent… which he is paid big bucks for.

In resolution #2 it looks as if Meehan is laying the groundwork for accepting an ‘offer’ which they had avoided before. Again clever move by the agent when the sh##@ hits the fan if this is the case.

You gotta read between the lines folks.

Edit: The Flyers legal dept has just ordered in Domino’s.. as per my Pizza inside guy “Salami Head”.

32. ed lopaz says:

re: the boys from Antichambre crapping on Subban

what a surprise!

since when is Antichambre used as a credible source for anything?

I will say this about the Antichambre boys. They have Michel Therrien’s interests (and by extension Marc Bergevin’s) at the top of their list of priorities, no matter what file they are discussing.

Bergevin went out and hired virtually every Francophone ex hab that was unemployed, and Therrien is ofcourse an Antichambre alumni.

Chasing Subban out of town is the stupidest, most ignorant, worst hockey move this town has seen since the Patrick Roy debacle.

Write it down: at least 5, maybe as many as 10 teams are interested in signing Subban long term for 5-6 million per year.

Bergevin is simply not offering a competitive offer. The market for Subban is red hot and the Habs are not prepared to adjust their strategy to meet the competition.

• morivera says:

L’Antichambre craps on everything, just as Therrien did last year. PK won’t sign at 2 to 3 million per year. If Bergevin doesn’t change, PK is gone. A dumb move I think. C’mon guys, you paid Gomez 7 mil last year and also to buy him out. Can’t we give 5 mil a year to our best D-man?

• Propwash says:

These guys are paid to s**t all over the team, I’d take their opinions with a grain of salt.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• HabFanSince72 says:

If anything those guys are fans of the team first and journalists second. They shit all over it a lot less than the H I/O commentariat.

But Ed is right that they will not criticize Therrien and Bergevin for some time. However, and you can take this to the bank, they WILL criticize them at some point.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

I agree with your theory that eventually they will see it in their interests to turn even on therrien and bergevin.

But that will be at least 2 maybe 3 years from now.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

They’ll turn on MT an MB as fast as we will… and if they do it faster… well they expect better and so should we for what the tickets cost

Go Habs Go

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ed – I’m not sure they are thinking in those terms. Those guys are first and foremost overemotional Canadiens fans (even Bergeron). They also – to be fair – know a bit about the game (except for PJ Stock of course).

They had no problem criticizing Carbo and Jacques Martin.

They are as bipolar as most of us (not me of course): their mood fluctuates with the latest result.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HardHabits says:

You are attempting to present personal opinion as fact. Nothing new here with you in that regard.

The RDS crew are pundits. No different than Mackenzie or the other shills at Toronto Sports Network. The difference here is that at RDS they actually have ex-hockey players and coaches of note as talking heads.

Nobody knows what Bergevin is offering and up to date no team has spoken out in favour of signing Subban. No offer sheets have been presented and if they have they have been kept secret.

Nobody is chasing Subban out of town. He is being held up to a standard that he is not living up to. It’s called being a team player. From my perspective and based upon Subbans own words, right now he is tying to get signed by Team Subban and not by Team Canadiens.

• ed lopaz says:

Bob Mackenzie is probably the most respected hockey guy on TV

The Antichambre jokers don’t even belong in the same conversation with Mackenzie.

Is this one of your joke posts, or are you to be taken seriously here??

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Subban’s “own words” as directed by Meehan and filtered through the media. It’s not idle chit-chat, with Stubbs or anyone. It’s strategic and it’s wheels within wheels.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully Bouillon does this to Ovechkin again tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7HcZYp12s

33. dorvalhabsfan says:

PK for James Neal, Make it Happen, or PK Subban for Niederreider+High end draft pick
    Then we go to Dallas, and trades our 2nd rounder+Hudon for Jamie Oleksiak, and because we live in NHL 2013 Realism, it’ll go down,…. It’s nice to dream isn’t it..

But in seriousness, lock him up long term for 4 mill… maybe 4.5 mill tops… he will be solid… He has intangibles that are hard to find… most notably his ability/willingess to actually play in MTL… It’s hard to find people like that, so if it was for the money soley, i would imagine he’d be pushing for a contract that will run out at the same time he’s UFA eligible..
    Go Habs Go

• piper says:

anything under 5m long term wont get it done IMO

• dorvalhabsfan says:

yeah well.. theres no history of being worth 5 million…. This isn’t Toronto where you pay Finger 5 million…. if he wants more dollars in the end he should be financially responsible and take the 2 years… if he wants the long term you lose on dollars… thats how it works it’s a business… You can’t have your cake and eat it too

Go Habs Go

• piper says:

I don’t compare him to Finger. And you actually have to pay more to buy UFA years. Thats how the hockey business works.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

Its not a skill comparison but a contract comparison… Finger did nothing to prove he is worth 5 mill.. and neither did PK… its that black and white

Go Habs Go

• piper says:

bottom line is….he’s arguably their best d-man and should be paid accordingly. Id hate to see him go just to set an example for the league and the new cba.

34. Bets comment on the P.K. situation yet, down below from Danno:

“I’m on nobody’s side because we have no facts to accuse anybody with.”

Why don’t we believe the hockey decisions to the people paid to make them, and celebrate the fact that we may well have the best four lines we’ve had in years. D, maybe not so much.

• bwoar says:

So, we shouldn’t post then, unless we’re paid to make hockey decisions?

“thoroughbred”

• Erm, that’s not what I wrote at all. My point is that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to take sides when we don’t know what either side wants.

• Bill J says:

Possible he was referring to the current poll on this site? Which doesn’t give the option of “not on anyone’s side, because we don’t have the facts”

When I saw the poll (which I didn’t vote on) I wondered where option C was too.

35. topher5468 says:

Honestly don’t know if this was discussed, but I’m wondering if Hamr is in for Wash, if their will be any bad blood between him and Cole.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

36. frontenac1 says:

At the Saloon watching the tube and Crazy Lou Lamorello is staring right at me. It is very disturbing. Its time for the hard stuff ,amigos.Its a couple of hours till the puck drops.Some young lad is talking about something called “spice” .Anybody heard about it?

37. CCL says:

Team with less penalties Best Goal tending will win tonight. Hoping for Habs

Listening to Antichambre talking about PK Subban and one thing is for sure, Andrew Berskshire won’t make the show not just because he can’t speak French.

PK Subban should take 3-4 million per year for 2 years soon now or he’s played his last game as a Hab.

The way things look I think PK will not play another game this season and will be traded some time around the draft.

PK is not considered a team player by the alumni.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

The alumni doesn’t know squat. Trading this kid will be a colossal disaster because we won’t get fair market value.

• ZepFan2 says:

Yeah because MB is a Quebecer. He couldn’t possibly make a good trade.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Not for fair market value he won’t The confidence I had in Bergevin has been blown after this fiasco.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

That`s not nice. Knowing that, Bergevin will be unable to sleep at night. How can he negotiate with no sleep?

• Vinny Red says:

I don’t think he meant it as a knock against MB, but more as a reflection of what you get for “hold outs”. When is the last time you saw an RFA hold out, get traded and the team trading him actually get good value? It’s rare that it happens

• ZepFan2 says:

Oh yes he did.

“colossal disaster because we won’t get fair market value.”

“The confidence I had in Bergevin has been blown after this fiasco.”

And there’s his post below that will make you dumber if you read it.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Mr. Biter says:

MB still holds all the cards. If someone makes an outragious offer the Habs can match it or recieve companisation. Bruins did really good with the Kessel deal.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• habsnyc says:

PK’s public statement reinforce the notion that he is not a team player. His stats support this thesis. Consider that PK ranked 7th among defesemen in shots on goal taken and yet scored only two even strength goals last season. I would argue that he took too many shots, causing turnovers and preventing the forwards from leading the offense. I would suggest that at times, PK tries to do too much on the ice and the team suffers for it.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

39. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Game Night!. Am I’m the only one Hammered in here?

40. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Deliberate pot-stirring here – but for those who want the habs to give PK 6 million as an offensive defenceman – he was 297th in the league for goals and 190th for points last season. Yeah, he has potential, but is not fair to ask what he has actually proven so far?
    A bridge contract seems sensible, and then, if he proves himself, he can get the outrageous bucks. A couple of million a year for a potential top defenceman on a weak club is pretty good.
    Our teams have been mediocre so long we get overly excited about solid players.

• rjonline1 says:

wheres he rank in relation to defensemen. Thats what matters.

• habsnyc says:

among defensemen PK ranked:
      28th points
      34th goals
      47th +/-
      1st PIM
      18th time on ice/game
      7th total shots taken

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Chuck says:

Add those numbers up and divide by 6, and you get an average ranking in those categories of 22.5. Thus, he should be the 22nd-highest paid d-man in the league. Get Meehan on the phone!

___________________________________________________

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I get the feeling that if PK wasn’t a black kid from TO but a French kid from Quebec he would have gotten his money by now. Playing hard ball with PK now will bite us in the ass when he becomes a UFA. If Bergevin wants doesn’t think he’s a star in the making he might as well trade him now.

• HardHabits says:

Nice way to wrap up racism and prejudice in one fell swoop. I don’t see PK taking French lessons either.

• ZepFan2 says:

Wow, now Quebecers are racist because PK isn’t signed yet.

This post is completely stupid and I’m now dumber for reading it.

Good day, Sir!!

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Subban see’s that he was a 1-2 pairing defenseman last year, used in every situation and against the other teams best players, and wants to be compensated as such – he has a point. MB see’s that Subban was only in those situations because they had no one else to do it – he wouldn’t have been there if there was a better option – he also has a point. Hence, we are sitting and waiting.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Oh, and I’m with Zep

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m with Zep too.
            There’s a dancing elephant in the room. It is the potential that people questioning Subban’s approach could be racist, and the potential people who support his demands could be racist about “The French”. It’s the perfect Anglo-Quebec contradiction – you know – we’re not racist but every last one of them is, even if they don’t know it or show it.
            And so we cycle around the net, waiting for the guy to sign so we can see what he develops into.
            I look forward to seeing him play so we can divide into camps and squabble about on ice stuff and locker room urban legends.

• ZepFan2 says:

A Quebecer and a Winnipeger agreeing. See, there’s still hope. :smile:

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• ooder says:

no but RDS would love him way more that’s for sure lol

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• piper says:

some see potential…. some don’t

41. Bun E. Laroque says:

Ribeiro is a bitch. Glad he is not on our team..

42. Habilis says:

Word on the street (aka twitter) is that PK has asked Meehan to find a solution quickly.

Is this good or bad for those of us who want PK to remain a Hab? I can’t decide.

• byrneoNL says:

Habilis: Link the tweet? Who was source?

• Habilis says:

Abe Hefter @hefteronthehabs

Chaumont is the Habs beat writer for Journal de Montreal.

• New says:

So we’re looking at April?

• byrneoNL says:

Thanks. PK probably said that months ago tho :p . Or, perhaps, PK has been convinced to sign now for lower than market value, get himself to UFA (25) and then put the Habs through hell that July.. MB obviously thinks PK is worth a lot less than many “experts”. I know we need to be tight after the Gomez fiasco. But I do think this team is better with PK than without. And Subban is much higher on our depth chart (and sells more jerseys than Del Zotto ). I think PK is probably asking for around 5mil (speculatiing) and MTL is probably offering 2.5-3mil.

But I mean you know, shit or get off the pot. That goes for both of them. All this inaction is just building resentment for both sides with fans.

• Danno says:

Pure speculation but it’s going to be about $4 to $4.5M for two years or nothing at all.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

Assuming it’s a solution involving playing with the Habs, that’s a good thing.

If it’s a solution to not playing, then that’s not so good.

43. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

And if you didn’t think that other teams’ fans vacillate from euphoria to loathing, check out the Washington Post forum after two losses, new coach, new system …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

Lupul, Downie, Smith and Hartnell suffer major injuries.

Is losing Lupul for the year enough to kill Toronto’s faint hopes of a playoff spot?

• Cardiac says:

It ain’t going help them… JVR is going to have to stay as consistant as last night.

– Jerry Maguire

• Whatever says:

Bettman declaring the lockout is over was enough to kill Toronto’s playoffs.

• nunacanadien says:

That’s the thing, we see teams pay big bucks for the Lupuls only to watch them get hurt. I wonder if it would be wise for the habs to continue on their merry way and fluke out a cup when really they were just going for last place like last year. In fact Gainey/Gauthier and now Bergevin that has been the plan all this tiime, to draft for first picks and build the team. Oh wait how many picks have we traded away?

• jmsheehy19 says:

Which Smith? Brendon?

EDIT: and I never like to see a guy injured, but woooo man do I not care for Downie and Hartnell

The view from the other side.

I’m a bit worried about tonight. Washington has owned us the past few years, we only scored three goals against them last season, Ovechkin is overdue and Neuvirth beat us his last three games out. And the Capitals are winless which should mean they are ready to break out soon.

• Chuck says:

We got the Clemmenson jinx off out back last game; maybe we’re ready for another tonight.

___________________________________________________

46. Hockey Bob says:

Nice to see smart people picking MB in the poll, PK can’t hold the Canadiens hostage this team is bigger than his ego.

• piper says:

I’m on MBs side but I think he’s in a loose/loose situation. Either he gives him a long term deal which I hope he does or he looses the second highly skilled d-man for the habs in the last few years.

• Danno says:

I’m on nobody’s side because we have no facts to accuse anybody with

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Completely off topic, the NBA New Orleans Hornet, have just switched their name (Team was originally named Hornets when the franchise started in Charlotte), they will now be known as the Pelicans.

Not sure they improved it much.

48. piper says:

I don’t think Colton Orr is getting the credit he deserves for the Leaf’s recent success. Those guys are all playing a lot bigger knowing he’s got their back.

49. Rugger says:

Really “tired” of hearing about how the Panthers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. It was only the 3rd game of the season, how fatigued could they possibly be. Maybe Florida just sucks.

50. commandant says:

I’m still upset at Sam Pollock that he didn’t trade Ken Dryden in 1973 when Dryden held out a season for fair market value.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ZepFan2 says:

I get what you’re saying. Except Dryden won the Stanley cup and the Vezina the year before. Slight difference between the two, imo.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• commandant says:

And that makes Dryden’s fair market value higher than Subbans (relatively speaking taking into account financial climate of the time).

Doesn’t change the fact that both have a right to be paid fair market value for what they bring to the team in their era.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cardiac says:

Yes… actually it does. He won two Cups, Vezina, Conn Symthe, and the Calder… not to mention an all-star. Pollock was notorious for low-balling players.

Subban played 30 minutes a game and finished +9 on a mediocre, injury ridden team. Never a finalist for an NHL award and not yet an all-star. Yet he (or his agent) wants the same dollars as those who have achieved the accolades. Just because you are a top 2 defenseman does not guarantee you Webber/Doughty/Suter money.

– Jerry Maguire

• commandant says:

That means that

1) Dryden’s fair market value was to be paid as one of the top goalies in the NHL.

2) Subban’s fair market value is to be paid as a 2nd tier defencemen just below the elites you mentioned.

It merely sets their value…. it doesn’t change the principle that a player has a right to hold out for what is fair, when he is NOT under contract.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cardiac says:

Don’t get me wrong… I agree that MB shouldn’t trade Subban and Subban has every right to sit if he wants.

But let’s face it, Dryden had a lot less to prove than Subban. Subban has “potential” and unfortunately “potential” does not pay the bills or get the job done.

Furthermore, if MB gives up the big bucks long term and Subban becomes the star we all hope him to be, then we continue to cheer his name and MB looks like a genius. If he fizzles out after a season, he becomes the new Gomez and fans will be screaming for MB’s head.

– Jerry Maguire

• commandant says:

Sure Dryden had less to prove.

Thats why Dryden’s worth was Elite Goalie and Subban’s is 2nd-tier very good defenceman.

But this isn’t a discussion of worth, its a discussion of the principal of the thing. And the principal is holding out for FMV.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ZepFan2 says:

I still believe Dryden had a better bargaining chip than PK has now.

When you are winning championships and you’re a very important part of that (the Habs lost in the first round during Dryden’s hiatus), you’re in a better position to make demands. PK’s not quite there yet, again imo.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Cardiac says:

Agreed! That you for better articulating my point.

– Jerry Maguire

• piper says:

Dryden had a great playoff in 71 but after that he was just a part of an extraordinary team.

• shiram says:

Is Subban working on his law degree?

• Price07 says:

Ya ummm Dryden>Subban both in what he did before he held out AND in character. If it were up to you you’d probably give any guy with skill a contract. What happened to Dany Heatley? Eventually his bad attitude affected his career. To think that he went from the best (or one of) goal scorer to an decent goal scorer.

• commandant says:

Subban’s never killed anyone, and never held out while under contract. The Heatley comparison is hogwash.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Price07 says:

I’m not talking about Heatley’s attitude off the ice. I’m talking about it on the ice. And I’m not saying Subban is as bad as him. But I am saying that you don’t just pay for talent, you pay for the whole player. If a great player ruins team chemistry, you ain’t going anywhere.

• commandant says:

And what evidence is there other than conjecture and unnamed sources that PK is ruining chemistry.

If PK is so brash, and can’t control himself, and is such a ****** or whatever, why in all his media appearances has he never shown that side… why is he always a fun loving, funny guy when we see him?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• christophor says:

The issue is whether what Subban is actually asking for fair market value, as he claims. But instead, you’re just assuming an answer to that question (i.e. the real question): what Subban’s asking for is of course fair, and Bergevin knows what’s fair and is refusing to give it. I don’t see your argument for this, just like I didn’t see your argument for most (but not all) of your lockout opinions

I personally think Subban’s value is quite high. Most think it’s lower than I do. Also, I’m hoping for a long term contract. This means I probably agree with Subban, though we don’t know what he’s asking.

Point is, you’re continuing to spout out the same nonsense you were on and on about during the lockout. It’s impossible for you to conceive of an employee being to any extent wrong in a dispute. That’s clouded your judgment so much that you’re actually missing the issue by just assuming that what Subban is asking for is fair. I guess your proof is that he says so. Bottom line: you trust Subban’s words more than Bergevin’s, and that’s because you’re viewing this through your opaque owner-laborer lenses.

• commandant says:

Fair Market Value is what a player is worth…. at no time did I suggest a number that PK is holding out for, or what he is worth. Heck all we have are media reports and inuendo as to what the offers are.

If we take the rumors of 2.5-3 million and 5.5-6.0 million at face value then yes, Bergevins offer is too low, and Subban’s is too high, and they are both to blame.

But that wasn’t the point of my post.

The point was, there are a number of people jumping to conclusions that PK is greedy, not a team player, and should be traded immediately. I was countering those sentiments.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

In my industry FMV is what you can make someone pay and have them believe it was a good deal. Seems both sides here have their own definition.

• New says:

I agree with you. The value of Subban is what someone will pay today not what Subban wants. Say someone wants to pay Subban 6 million a year. Pop over to capgeek and pick a team. Philly: Grioux and Couterier. Florida: Gudbranson and Bergenheim . No, of course not. Nor would it be Souray and Koivu.

Subban is popular, outgoing, and played 24 minutes a game last season on a team that finished last in the East. PK was 28th amongst league DMen in scoring (22 in powerplay – Kaberle was higher by the by, and 71st in shooting %).

What is the league value right now of a DMan who is popular, but whose team lost big time with him playing a lot and who can’t score on his 205 shots that hit the net – imagine how many hit friends or the mesh instead – and is about to enter his fourth year of league play?

About 2.7 million.

• The Jackal says:

Thank you Commandant.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Blondie says:

lol – How could that idea have gone wrong?

• Cardiac says:

I bet it wasn’t Molson they were drinking… where’s nuna when you need him?

– Jerry Maguire

• Chuck says:

If it wasn’t for the saltpeter in the beer, it would have succeeded marvelously.

___________________________________________________

51. Rudy says:

First game Bourque play here since he hit Backstrum (he was still suspended when mtl was here after the trade). He will be targetted from the drop of the puck

52. commandant says:

Tidbits from around the league for the start of the season

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

53. Steeltown Hab says:

If 67-51-72 continue to not put it together, will this line be broken up?

Any chance 51s weak play could bring 81 into the lineup? As far I’m concerned they both need to prove themselves. Ideally we have a top 9 that can all score. Aside from Pleks that second line didn’t get much going either.

Pac – Plek – Gio
    DD – Eller – Cole
    Prust/Bourque – Galch – Gall
    Moen – White- Bourque/Prust

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Blondie says:

Bourque on the fourth?? The guy has played well the last two games, that’s nuts!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

If Desharnais plays like he did on tuesday (worst Hab in that game I think) it would definitely make sense to give Eller a chance between Pacioretty and Cole. I highly doubt that Therrien will do it though.

Bourque really deserves to play with Pleks for now. He´s been a pleasant surprise so far.

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t think the 1st line will be split up unless they play badly for 4 games in a row.

In actual fact, they all played pretty well against the Panthers and I expect them to get even better.

Go Habs Go!!

• piper says:

I thought they would have switched DD for Eller after the last game.

I fully expect a Staged fight to start the game. Erik Cole vs Roman Hamrlik.

55. mark-ID says:

I thought Boone retired? What’s going on here?

56. Sakus Evil Twin says:

You know what I’d like to see tonight?
    Some swagger.
    Yup. Swagger.

I want to see that 4th line stare down ANYONE who looks at them oddly.

I want to see Rene Bourqe crash that net with every pound he has

I want to see Cole Des and Patches skate rings around them.

I want to see Gally score off Chucky

I want to see the puck cross the blue line on a stick

I want to see Ovi implode when he doesn’t have room to look over his shoulder.

But mostly I want to see swagger.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

57. Mattyleg says:

Hey Boone, let’s talk about PK Subban, and the details surrounding his contract talks!

What do you think?

__ Amazing idea

__ Really amazing idea

(tick one box only pls!)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. Chuck says:

The real question about tonight’s game is how long after puck drop the HI/O server will fry like an egg on a sidewalk in a New Mexico heatwave.

___________________________________________________

59. shiram says:

Will be interesting to see how the team works without having the benefit of the last change, DD’s line which have not started as strong as we would like will be put a stronger test tonight too!
    Here’s hoping they respond in kind and give us a great game!

60. Bill says:

Not optimistic about the Habs’ chances against an embarrassed Capitals team playing its home opener. (EDIT: it’s not the home opener … thanks a lot Boone, lol). I was happy as anyone to watch the Florida game, but we all know it was the Panthers’ third in four nights and that they were missing four players from an already mediocre roster. That said, it was encouraging to see the Habs dominate a game they should have dominated.

This will be a tougher test. The Caps have two good scoring lines who will give our Subban-deficient D-corps fits.

On the other hand, the Capitals have an even less-impressive collection of D-men, so it might be chance for the DD line to get untracked.

I’ll take Price over Holtby or Neuvirth, especially the way he’s been playing. Bad as the Panthers were, they got some good chances that could have made the game a lot closer without stellar net-minding.

Prediction: Capitals 3-Habs 2, after the Caps outshoot the Habs 42-24. Ribeiro with the winner.

Full Breezer 4 Life/I Want to Make PK Subban a Better Person

61. Strummer says:

If the Caps play in the Verizon Centre and the Habs play in the Bell Centre, shouldn’t mobile phone service cost less?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

62. Thomas Le Fan says:

Capitol of the “free” world? My dollars were worth more than the US peso this morning. O Canada! Go Habs!

63. Habsrule1 says:

Ok, let’s not talk about that guy who the Habs are low-balling.

We all love our team…let’s just discuss the win tonight!

Go Habs Go!!

64. habs-fan-84 says:

GO HABS GO!

Mr. Boone, didn’t the Jets already spoil the Caps home opener, first time 10 years they lost it.

(I only know this, because my mother in Winnipeg calls me every night the Jets play to ask if I am watching!)

66. Dr.Rex says:

IF Pierre peanuts McGuire had gotten the job in March, here is what tonight’s lineup would look like.

Pacioretty Desharnais Crabb
    Moen Lecavalier Artuykin
    Blunden Nokelainen Begin
    Schultz Fata Esposito

Gorges Subban
    Emelin Woywitka
    Parent Krajicek

Luongo
    Budaj

• Habsrule1 says:

What an idiotic post.

Not insulting you, just your post.

One thing you got right is that PK would be signed, which makes me lean towards him over Bergevin right now.

Go Habs Go!!

• Dr.Rex says:

Price was dealt in the Lecavalier trade while Pleks and Cole went for Luuuuuu.

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually, pretty good trades. As long as PK is on the team, we should be fine. He is bigger than the team, after all.

Go Habs Go!!

• nunacanadien says:

No it would be:

Crosby LeCav Stlouis
      Khadri Iginla Yakupov
      Pacioretty Ryder Esposito

Charra Subban
      Komisarek Gill
      Neidereitter Karjicek

Luongo
      Halak

Cause hey the new CBA and board of govs would give McGuire the ability to quash all Gilette/Gauthier contracts……

• Luke says:

Theodore
      Garon

67. j2w4habs25 says:

GOHABSGO!

Carey Price #31

68. Strummer says:

While the anthem-singer be lip-syncing?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

69. Danno says:

A must-win four-pointer game.

Oh wait… They all are.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

70. Propwash says:

Should be a good test for the team tonight.

GO HABS GO!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

71. krob1000 says:

new thread eh? so what do guys think will happen with PK?

• Propwash says:

The penalty kill did well last game, hopefully it carries over for this one…

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Blondie says:

Hope the PP success continues as well.

:) Great response by the way.

• nunacanadien says:

You have a bunch of upset Caps who are gonna want to make sure we can get Seth Jones…..yes, the habs need to lose and lose, so we can trade away Seth Jones after we buy him out, yes the CBA and the board of govs will allow Molson to throw his money away…..hey Geoff Molson, there’s a taxi driver who is stuck with a Bell Mobility cellphone contract that he wants you to buy out…..

• Habfan10912 says:

This is not the Panthers power play, prop. We need to avoid the sin bin.

———————————–

72. Cal says:

A win tonight on the road would be a very good thing.

• nunacanadien says:

But then how we be able to squander our rookie pool and most of all chasing after Seth Jones since Molson showed he didn’t have it in him to get Yakupov.

• Habitforming says:

Thank our lucky stars for that. Yakupov reminds me of Pavel Brendl for some reason.

I think in 3-5 years the Oilers and Jackets will regret not taking alex 1st or 2nd OA

73. ed lopaz says:

its 3:00 game day – time for Boone

74. Dr.Rex says:

Im eating lots of organic food this afternoon so it doesn’t burn as bad this time.

75. nunacanadien says:

Just wait til Gomez scores the game winner and helps us to get Seth Jones….when we play the Sharks towards the end of the season.

76. Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice! Laughed aloud!

77. ratboy1968 says:

We don’t play San Jose this year, unless we’re now in the same conference as the Sharks….

78. New says:

I will put money on that not happening if you like.

79. New says:

Awh crud…maybe he has a few bucks he would have put up.

80. jmsheehy19 says:

Fed? no. But they’ve eaten. They… had no other choice.

If ratboy doesn’t post above you, you were in for 1 big payday! Think of the odds you could have given nuna.

82. ZepFan2 says:

First off, I’m an Anglophone in Quebec and I’m on MB’s side.

Secondly and with no disrespect intended, I care nothing about your disdain for my opinion.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

83. HabFanSince72 says:

“My first thought is a French thing”

You call that a thought?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

84. SlovakHab says:

I am a Slovak living in Australia, having a Japanese lunch today. And I am on MB’s side. :D
    So nope, it’s not a French thing

Being #1 D on the worst team, with their other best D injured shouldn’t warrant you a 6M per year. Also, I like the way MB is responsible about the salary cap for the next season.

Funny how media and fans don’t make the same noise about Jamie Benn.

85. jrshabs1 says:

Hopefully we are all above a simple sh$%t disturber like jcc. I’m an Anglo and I love my Habs…it’s a hockey thing. Why aren’t the mod’s jumping on this guy and pulling his shirt over his head and feeding him his dinner?

Go Habs Go!!

86. Cardiac says:

It’s very similar to how they chose to develop Seguin. It’s easier to showcase a young talent when you surround him with decent teammates. Also, I wouldn’t worry about the boys in Hamilton. Some develop quicker than others. Beaulieu and Tinordi are only 20… I wouldn’t push the panic button too quickly.

– Jerry Maguire

87. piper says:

Hamilton was a fairly high pick wasn’t he?

88. commandant says:

Dougie was drafted well above any of the D in Hamilton right now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

89. jedimyrmidon says:

On the contrary, playing with Chara probably makes it easier for him as he’s shielded by a perennial Norris candidate instead of being left out there to dry as he would be if he were on the Habs.

90. jmsheehy19 says:

You realize Hamilton was considered top 5 or so among D prospects right?

I’m stoked about our guys, but none was supposed to be as good as Hamilton.

This is like wondering why Seguin is doing so well but Leblanc is still developing in Hamilton.

91. shiram says:

I think I’ll be saying it all season long!

92. piper says:

I agree, but I know Bergevin just wants to do whats right for his boss and get the be deal possible. If I was GM i’d offer him 5m per for max term and go no higher than 6.

93. commandant says:

Did you really miss the dripping sarcasm of that post? Really?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

94. HabFanSince72 says:

Jamie Benn doesn’t play baseball, basketball or football.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

95. piper says:

Yea. If Gainey could have fleeced Burke, Habs would have Hamilton.

96. Vinny Red says:

Oh can I play? I’m a red headed Italian (figure that one out!), family from montreal, living in Moncton, tri-lingual (french, english, gibberish) and I’ll be having Chinois for supper (due to arrive slightly after puck drop!!). I support both, and that’s why I want a bridge deal of some sort. PK has played #1 or #2 minutes in his 2 years (albeit due to injury), he improved A LOT in his 2nd year (didn’t score as much yes, but the whole team didn’t score as much, more importantly his +/- improved substantially) I see where PK is coming from, but at the same time i see where MB is coming from. They both have valid arguments, that’s why I think a bridge deal of 1 or 2 years is the way to go (3.5-4 / year) then give him his 5.5-6 (tops, barring Norris nominations, which I doubt is coming in the next couple of years). Plus his off ice issues need to be taken into consideration as well. And by that I’m talking about his charity work, hospital visits, etc….He’s a great ambassador for the CH

97. Izzy says:

Im a transplanted montrealer living in New Brunswick and had a steak for lunch that I had to pry from the bbq with a crowbar and an ice pick……who agrees with MB.

Nobody is bigger than the team …..(see pacioretty, Price, hell…even Roy)

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

98. jmsheehy19 says:

More like a fleeting firing of electrons. Racist electrons.

99. Danno says:

Jagermeister

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

100. jols101 says:

I think it is because of that metal plate in his face.

101. Habfan10912 says:

He got hit on the nose in a KHL game and they were concerned about damaging his plate. I think I saw somewhere that it can come off soon.

———————————–

102. Barts says:

He took an elbow in the KHL, it’ll stay on for a bit longer.

103. Hoegaarden says:

P.Houde just commented that Emmy was the recipient of a high stick during his stint in the KHL earlier this year.

104. JF says:

Pierre Houde said it was because he got a stick in the face in a game in the KHL.

105. Habfan10912 says:

This is all I could find. I’ll try to look for the article that spoke of the incident. I think it was a shot in practice.

106. Mattyleg says:

Brilliant!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

107. L Elle says:

Welcome to the other side…almost. :)

108. Mattyleg says:

Was juuuuuuust thinking the same thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

109. habsfan0 says:

Where does that leave PK?

110. SteverenO says:

Good thing that Price is playing well and the habs are winning…Halak already has two shutouts. (But of course that’s cuz he has a better team in front of him.

regards,

Steve O.

111. Propwash says:

81 saves for Price vs 35 for Halak thus far.

____________________