Liveblog: Canadiens shut out 3-0 in Buffalo

Hodgson

The Sabres needed the game to stay in the hunt for an eastern Conference playoff spot.
The Canadiens sank deeper into last place.
Eight games to go.
But it will seem like more.

Down 3-0, the Canadiens pulled Carey Price with 3:40 to go.

And Erik Cole promptly took a goaler interference penalty.

It’s been that kind of season.

1. rocnyhabsfan says:

Eller should have the “C” until Gionta comes back

2. D-man says:

where’s the intensity??
    seems like they had alot more energy last game as opposed to this one

3. habsfan1001 says:

Go ahead Boone because i think will to

4. rocnyhabsfan says:

Wow, they don’t even seem to be trying.

5. HNS says:

Habs mailing it in now. They left Price out to dry there.

6. rocnyhabsfan says:

Nice to have Sabres games on MSG here in Rochester, but tough when they can’t beat the Sabres.

7. Habbu says:

How did we get this bad…………..so fast?

8. Mavid says:

sigh…looks like I may owe yet another Timmy’s

9. Bill says:

Campoli + Weber. What can I say.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. Kimberly2u says:

I hate Buffalo

Markov took a pretty good hit there, him getting up from those type of hits will go a long way to helping him recognize he can trust his knee.

12. stephen says:

Re: Bourque

This might be one of his ‘better’ games of late, but his missed chance in the slot embodies precisely what I dislike about his game thus far: he doesn’t seem to do anything with conviction, be it skating, battling, shooting, etc.. Had he really attacked that chance instead of slapping at it, it ends up in the net.

Whether it’s a question of confidence or just plain desire, he leaves me wondering where his fire is and whether we might ever see it.

• Bill says:

It was an exchange of two struggling players who were underachieving and seemingly going through the motions. Calgary got the better player. Montreal got the better contract + prospects. Time will tell. But don’t ever expect much from Bourque, is my guess.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• VancouverHab says:

Fair analysis, but surely we got stiffed on the exchange. Cammi has to fetch WAY more than we got for him (PG traded Cammi in a snit).

Cammi is a very good performer — the type we need.

• Bill says:

Well, I think Cammalleri should’ve gotten more, but he didn’t. I would guess that his one-dimensional play, massive contract, and current struggles were the major factors.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habfan10912 says:

Good points Bill. The Habs need to stop compounding these types or errors by not giving out top six minutes to under performing players. Gomez is a great example of a bad trade made even worse by continuing to give top minutes.

13. petefleet says:

Anyone got an English internet feed for the game?

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

14. Habfan10912 says:

Team has struggled getting Puck and maintaining possession out of their end all year. Stronger more skilled defenseman need to be a priority in off season. Especially if the Habs are going to fly thru next years playoffs.

15. Marc10 says:

Good game. Really it’s the best of both worlds. They’re leading and we’re playing well.

Holy Cow was that Emelin trying to flatten the guy at the blueline?

17. Mavid says:

what a bullet…

18. Bertuzzi says:

Just got home. Did I miss anything interesting? LOL

• punkster says:

Ya, a huge momentum changing fight near the beginning between…oh, never mind…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bill says:

But Gomez has been avenged!!I guess …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

These comments are getting so lame, punkster. Sometimes, there really are momentum changing fights. See Neil last week when habs lost to Ottawa.

• punkster says:

Sometimes, sure, maybe, if they’re not so staged as to be laughable.

I don’t have a huge issue with fighting overall when the fights are in the heat of the moment, maybe retaliation for a cheap shot.

Staged fights are just plain dumb and have no place in sports.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• twilighthours says:

Alright, you’ve stated your position. Repeatedly.

• Ron says:

Again punk that is your opinion and you are welcome to it as anyone is here. I don’t see any problem with that fight tonight myself whether it made any difference or not. I don’t think Twilighthours minded it either. We all have our own opinions.

@Twilight, in fairness Punkster’s position has not been stated restated and stated again, as often as the Tanker’s position, were you opposed to that being stated, restated and stated again?

• Habfan10912 says:

Punkster don’t let the MAN censure you.

• twilighthours says:

Burly, firstly, yes, the lame “let’s suck tonight!” comments are absurd. I think you’ll find true tankists like myself rarely post things tank-related. (before you attack, my avatar is just for fun).

Secondly, I see a difference between posting about tanking and posting about the uselessness of fighting. The good tankists post about how the team isn’t good enough, and want the team to be good in the future. The people who argue against fighting come at it from a place of “it’s useless” when it reality none of us know the dynamic inside a dressing room and know if it is useless or not, if gomez appreciates what staubitz brings, if Neil beating up staubitz has an effect on the outcome. It is – frankly – an ignorant position. We can have our opinions, but we are all ignorant on the matter.

Finally, I’m not even pro fighting. I totally agree with punkster that staged fighting is stupid. However, it’s part of the rules and until it is not I’d rather not have my team get pushed around. I have been on record as saying that I would love the habs to have a Thornton or Neil on the team, just in case.

Good Post Twilight, I understand your position.

• punkster says:

twilight…understand your points…wasn’t intentionally trolling…just don’t like staged fights and trying to make light of it.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• twilighthours says:

I feel you. Peace, brother.

• Bill says:

No, man, they either work or they don’t. Neil won his fight and the Sens won, you say it’s because of the fight. When a guy fights and wins and his team loses, you ignore it. The fights are random and have no impact on the game.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

It is lame as hell. An argument that will never end I guess?

I’ve been watching and used to play hockey for over 30 years and there’s always been fighting. It’s part of the game.

Take it out of the game and you’re taking part of the game away itself.

• twilighthours says:

Haven’t we discussed this before? When NHL players, coaches, and managers all state that a fight can change momentum, are we in a position to disagree?

• Bill says:

Not as long as we keep arguing about it, I guess, haha!

I don’t expect everyone here to agree all the time at any rate :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bill says:

^^Twilight, when the team that wins the fight wins the game consistently, I’ll reconsider my opinion. If fighting is that important, where does it go in the playoffs?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

Bill, I’m not even pro-figt, so I hate being put in the position to defend it. The whole things started from an unprompted trollish comment by punkster (who I don’t consider a troll), and I’m sorta tired of these comments.

19. Propwash says:

Haters gonna hate.
    Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

OK I give up. What the hell…let’s bring in Pat Roy and Pierre “Everybody Loves Him” McGuire next year and have some fun.

McGuire will bring in some of his famous “Monsters” and Roy will throw a tirade behind the bench and force them to hit, injure and pound into submission, every opponent they face.

Heck, it worked for Boston last year and the Rangers are leading the East in points and fighting majors, why not the Canadiens next?

Blunden with a nice big hit. Creates turnover.

22. Mondou6 says:

NHL needs to go to 3 points for a win, it’s crazy that we had no shot at the playoffs even with 20 games left on the schedule.

Not that we deserve to be in the playoffs, but it’s just way to hard to make up ground with all the stupid 2 point/1 point games.

23. habs-fan-84 says:

beautiful D coverage DD

24. HNS says:

Potent power play.

25. JIMVINNY says:

Strong play by DD.

26. punkster says:

The upside of this horror show of a season is just how sweet it will be when they steamroll through the playoffs next year, swatting opponents left and right, setting records on a march to the cup.

Who’s with me, huh? Come on. Who’s with me?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Did Frankie Gagnon (the biggest ditz in sports journalism) bring up the Fischer instead of Giroux pick?

Because I don’t think he ever fails to bring that one up.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

28. Habfan10912 says:

I want 79 to put one in.

29. HNS says:

Price…..Weak…

30. JIMVINNY says:

G*ddam everyone breaking their slumps against the habs.

31. H.Upmann says:

Probably some musical chairs going on soon. Guy Boucher to Mtl, Kirk Muller to Tampa, and RC to Hurricanes? Just guessing

32. The good thing about the season ending on April 7 is that they can all go as a squad and see the centenary big screen re-release of Titanic on April 12!

33. slapshot777 says:

Looks like we got mo going.

34. punkster says:

Was there a point to that fight?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

35. alwayssunny says:

Let’s win this one for Scotty!

Did we win that fight? Want to know if we have momentum now or not.

37. slapshot777 says:

McCommrick was quick to go but Staubitz gave him a couple of lefts and in the end McCommrick was calling for the linesman to step in.

38. ABHabsfan says:

My bro-in-law at the game with my 4 yr old nephew tonight. Kid should be easy to pick out, how many other kids have Campoli jerseys? Only 2 guys wearing that jersey and 1 of ‘em is on the ice!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Great job Staubitz! great to see!

Nice pass by MaxPac

41. Bill says:

28 degrees in New Brunswick today! Holy cow. It’s March. It’s almost as though the earth … were getting warmer or something. Thanks to greenhouse gases I was able to play baseball with my kid before Easter, our traditional start. Thank you Carbon!

42. Bill says:

Sabers really need this: the Habs don’t. These kinda games are completely unpredictable!

43. ogilthorpe says:

Heard that Boucher might get canned…would be a good fit here?????

44. D Mex says:

If Shanahan actually posted the tweet attributed to him by Boone (6:55 pm ET), it is inappropriate and unprofessional IMO. Just sayin’ …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

45. HabFab says:

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!!
    HIO almost silent with only a select few die hards to cheer on the boyz.
    Tankers and halakist may or may not show up depending how the game goes.
    “sigh”

46. Boone – that’s not shanahan. it’s a joke account.

- A

47. HabFab says:

@Boone. Tell Frankie to quit being such a negative nellie!!

Do we see Peter or Carey this evening?

49. HabFanSince72 says:

I wonder if Roger Goodell would like the job of NHL commissioner when he gets fired from the NFL.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

50. Mavid says:

Neil jumped him at the end of a shift..he is a dirty worm, not a good fighter..friday Stabby will be ready for this goof…and he will take him down..

51. Mavid says:

yes Timo…..001% if you really want to know

52. JohnBellyful says:

Consultant: “Okay, guys, you know why I’m here. The league was ticked off with your shenanigans Monday night. What were you thinkin’? You know how the big boys feel about staged fights. It was so obvious from the get-go what was goin’ happen but did you guys care?”
    Torts, DeBo: “He started it!!!”
    Consultant: “I don’t care who started it! You both behaved like buffoons! Do you realize how much harm you bozos have done to the league’s reputation?”
    DeBo: “Are they going to suspend us?”
    Torts: “Are they going to fine us?”
    Consultant: “Haven’t got a clue. Don’t care. I’m here to see it doesn’t happen again.”
    Torts: “Okay, how about this — the next game we play each other, Pete promises not to start his tough guys, I won’t start mine?”
    DeBo: “Great idea, Torts. Problem solved.”
    Consultant: “Idiots! The problem wasn’t the fight, the problem wasn’t the premeditation, the problem was IT LOOKED STAGED. Hey, Betts and the brass, they love the fisticuffs, the knock-’em-down scraps, can’t get enough of them, in fact. You think if they wanted to get rid of fighting, they couldn’t do it by changing the rules and making sure they’re enforced? No, fighting is part of the game. And face facts, most games are the pits these days. But throw in a fight now and then, the crowd goes wild, YouTube views double, and the NHL gets a whole bunch of free publicity. The target audience goes bananas.”
    DeBo: “So you want our teams to fight more?”
    Consultant: “NO!…YES! Just don’t be so obvious about it, LIKE AT THE START OF THE GAME, cuz then the politically correct, never-been-in-a-street-brawl-or-played-industrial-league-hockey crowd comes after us. Sure, concussions are a problem but only for a very small minority of players. You could just as easily get hurt falling off a ladder putting up decorations but do they talk about banning Christmas? So we gotta be smart about it, cuz if we play our cards right, we’ll soon be the only hockey league anywhere in the world that still allows fighting. We’ll have what is a very large market all to ourselves!”
    Torts: “So where do you come in?”
    Consultant: “I prepare story lines that set the stage for ‘spontaneous’ fights ignited in the heat of battle. Every team in the league will have three, four tough guys – one, maybe two in Montreal – who will be sent to acting school in the off-season to learn how to portray the guy who’s been the victim of an on-ice assault, like an elbow to the head, or a knee to the groin. Who’s gonna argue he hasn’t the right to take justice into his own hands right away? Do you think anyone’s gonna say, let Shanny handle the punishment?”
    DeBo: “So is the other guy actually gonna elbow, punch, ram the poor schnook? Why would anyone go along with this? I know these guys aren’t the brightest but still …”
    Consultant: “Because the players will take turns being the villain – and none of them needs acting lessons for that. Besides it’s all gonna be fake anyway. No one’s gonna to get elbowed, or hammered in the head with a shoulder – it will just look that way! The guys will even learn how to do improv. And there will be all kinds of props to make it look hyper-real. False teeth containing capsules of fake blood. Helmets that shatter when hit by a fist. The fans will eat it up!”
    Torts: “This all sounds like World Wrestling!”
    Consultant: “But with one important difference. The outcomes of the games aren’t predetermined. The NHL has integrity.”

53. HabFab says:

Another Hab blog; http://www.yourcanadiens.info/2012/03/your-canadiens-for-march-21-2012.html

- updates on injuries
    - the race to fail
    - prospects report and 3 University grads getting try-outs with the Bulldogs

So… can we still make the playoffs?

55. The_Franchise31 says:

Are problem is not drafting its developing. We either give up to quick or try to make a player in to something he isn’t

56. matt jordan says:

This was on a previous thread, but I thought it was interesting regarding the draft.

According to this study, the Canadiens were the No.1 drafting team in the NHL over the last decade.

• HardHabits says:

That they are near last place speaks volumes about the incompetency of how those draft picks were used.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s becoming apparent to me that the one constant since 2003 is one Robert M Gainey.

Sure Martin was bad with the young players, and Gauthier has made mistakes, but I think the consistent throwing away of young talent has to be on Gainey.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

All one can hope for in this game are a couple of really great staged fights…

So will we see Travis Moen again this year? Starting to wonder whether we see him as a Hab ever again.

• Hobie Hansen says:

We can only hope Burlington that the dream line of Staubitz-White-Moen is ready to roll next October!

LOL, dream line… Would be fun to watch indeed.

• habs-fan-84 says:

damn right!

• piper says:

Fun to watch until they play the tougher teams and get pounded. I’d sill rather have a heavy weight on that line rather than Staubitz.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Staubitz may not be a super-heavyweight but he is a skilled fighter that can easily switch from left to right.

Neil got him last fight he was in but that happens to the best of fighters sometimes. Neil is very adept to fight guys of all sizes and even dropped’em with Chara a few weeks back.

I don’t care if Staubiz is the toughest of them all. I’m just glad we have 3 or 4 guys in the lineup now that would never let something like the beatdown in Boston happen again.

59. krob1000 says:

Hmm…I didn’t realize the Habs had points in their last 6 games…I guess that shows how long ago we were really out of the playoff picture since we are still in the basement…where BTW I hope to end up this year at this stage. My dream scenario…win the lottery then trade down to 5 or 6,get an NHL ready prospect, and another 2nd for next year.

60. punkster says:

“We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game. We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities,” said Goodell, whose league faces more than 20 concussion-related lawsuits brought by hundreds of former players. “No one is above the game or the rules that govern it.”

Thank heaven the NHL has the whole concussion thing under control and teams don’t put bounties on opposing players either. I mean, they wouldn’t would they?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. bellcentre hotdog says:

30 seconds long … enjoy …

62. Captain aHab says:

“Avenge Scott Gomez” lmfao

They’ll probably be buying Myers a round or two after the game.

Come on boys, lose like you mean it…we need to give Edmonton time to catch us…looks like they need it.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

63. JF says:

I want the Habs to win tonight. I’m sick of watching us get the loser point. And a regulation win over Buffalo would be satisfying; they’re a team that always gives us problems. I also want us to beat Florida and Washington, since we haven’t taken a single point from either team this season (in fact, I don’t think we’ve beaten Washington since the playoff run two years ago). With our lack of offensive depth and finish, I have no fear of our moving out of the basement.

64. RockinRey says:

The Habs are firmly ensconced in a state of luminality. It is palpable that this team can hardly wait to get to the end of the season finish line and begin to restructure. Gomez knows he’s gone, several other players have failed to distinguish themselves , while others have had sub par years ( ie Pleks). I really feel for a guy like Cole who signed with them probably thinking they were good for at least a round or two in the playoffs.

That said there is a foundation and there are some buildings blocks. I just hope whomever they bring in can recognize this and stop this bleeding and use the cap and the draft position and free agency a little more effectively. Habs fans deserve so much better.

65. FanCritic says:

Buffalo wins tonight

66. habs001 says:

It seems from many previous post that the habs have a deep prospect pool in d..which is good as not all will make the nhl but since we have a large group of prospects some will make it and may even be impact players…while we dont have goalie prospects it seems that if we sign price , we will have a young goalie for 10 years and seasoned backup goalies are fairly easily available…we do need forward prospects from the draft as it seems right now we really have 2 prospects that may be impact players in the nhl and if they dont become impact players we will continue to have forward issues…

• Bill says:

Beaulieu will make the NHL for sure. Tinordi might, another couple of years down the road. The rest of the guys are your average long-shots, like 90% of drafted players.

That’s not a deep pool. Granted, the forward prospect pool is equally shallow, but with the Habs in the situation they’re in, they need to take the best player available in the draft, and if it’s a D, they can certainly use one.

Full Breezer 4 Life

67. HabsFansince49 says:

I have a bet going with a friend of mine; in fact, it’s been going for 5 years. This year (and last) we bet 8 beers per point in the point difference between the Habs and the Leafs at the end of regular season. Last year I won 88 beers. I only lost once in 5 years but this January I figured I would owe him 200 beers given the way the Leafs were playing and the Habs were not. Tonight we are at 24 beers (I owe him). We can stipulate any kind of beer. My only stipulation: anything but Molson’s. All this to say that the ONLY reason I watch hockey is to see the beer count.

68. Mattyleg says:

Okay Folkies,
    Here is the Third And Final Installment of…

March 1, 2012
    (with apologies to W.H. Auden)

From the wintery dark
    Into the springtime life
    The glum Montrealers come,
    Repeating their morning vow;
    ‘I won’t respond to the trolls,
    I’ll concentrate more on my work,’
    And helpless players wake
    To resume their compulsory game:
    Who can release them now,
    Who can unsign the signed,
    Who can coach Rene Bourque?

All I have is an avatar
    To undo the accepted lie,
    The self-aggrandizing lie in the brain
    Of the know-it-all man-in-the-street
    And the lie of Authority
    Whose building makes Molson Dry:
    That Markov’s forgot how to skate
    And no draftee succeeds alone;
    Fandom allows no choice
    To the citizen or the police;
    We must love the Habs or die.

Defenseless in our zone
    Our powerplay in stupor lies;
    Yet, dotted everywhere,
    Ironic claps and groans
    Flash out whenever posters here
    Exchange their messages:
    May I, composed like them
    Of CH jerseys and of beer,
    Beleaguered by their same
    Negation and despair,
    Show an affirming flame.

***

Hope you liked it!
    I’ll post the whole thing in a few days!

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

69. ABHabsfan says:

I apologise if this has been debated already;
    Did y’all see the suspensions in the NFL for Bounty Gate? Payton 1 year, Loomis (GM)8 games, Asst coach Vitt gets 6 games, Williams (ex D-Coord) suspended indefinitely. Team gets $500K fine and they lose 2 2nd round picks. Goodell didn’t throw the book, he threw the whole library at these guys! ( that was a terrible analogy but whatever) NFL is serious about their product and they don’t fart around. I doubt anyone in the NHL would have the stones to deal with teams and coaches like that.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• JayK-47 says:

CHARA.
      CHARA.
      CHARA annnnnnd the Beeeeee’s
      Ch-Ch-Chara and the B’s.

• Lix says:

You mean like The Rangers and Devils coaches who basically had a pissing match to start the game the other night? The NFL would have dealt with them harshly, until the NHL figures it out that kind of bad joke will continue.

• ABHabsfan says:

exactly.
        Tortarella: “he should just shut-up”
        Good one, Torts.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• HabFanSince72 says:

The NHL put it up on nhl.com. They’re using it to sell the game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

Brees is beside himself, and can’t understand how such a wonderful person as Sean Payton could get the judge and jury thrown at him.
      I guess when you’re on the wrong side of the law, with an enforcer sheriff in town, you pay the price.
      Daddy Campbell certainly wasn’t a qualified sheriff last year.

Bri, in light of how heavy the league came down on the Saints, you should be happy that the league only slapped your Patriots on the wrist for their past transgressions.

I am very happy to see the NFL come down hard on this. Granted, they are the best P.R. machine in pro sports, they know how play things with the media.

70. joeybarrie says:

Saw others doing this so it looked fun..,

• ABHabsfan says:

Was it?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• joeybarrie says:

not really. I’m let down. I’m more inclined to wonder how I feel about this game. I don’t want the Caps to make the playoffs, but I have Carey Price on my fantasy team. This week is playoffs, and first prize is $100. Down to four teams…
        And I hate seeing the Habs lose… But Caps closer to not making it, and the Habs closer to a top 5.
        tough call. Maybe I’ll just enjoy the game and let the chips fall where they may.

• ABHabsfan says:

Always best to be able to cheer for your team to win no matter what. I save the pools and wagering for NFL

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

71. ffenliv says:

I tried to make a deal for Carey earlier in the year (late November), when I thought the Habs would still turn it around.

Thankfully, the other guy wanted way too much. Instead, I traded for Lehtonen, and he has done well for me.

This is the first time in my 10 years of running this pool that I haven’t had at least one Hab on the team.