Liveblog: Rangers romp to 4-1 win over Canadiens

Gaborik

First vs. Worst
And both teams played true to form.
It took the Canadiens almost 14 minutes to get a shot on goal in the third period.
By Brad Staubitz.
The home team scored twice on the power play.
Rene Bourque, of all people, deprived Henrik Lundqvist of a ninth shutout
And with less than two minutes left, Andrei Markov got hurt.

* Pre-game reading: Who should get Gauthier’s job?

1. The Dude says:

OMG…..one week-ass goal!

The other part of the Gomez deal.

3. FanCritic says:

I don’t care who they bring in for GM or Coach as long as I see the Real Montreal Canadiens back again. sick of watching AAA Hockey at the Bell Centre. sorry this maybe an insult to AAA Hockey.

4. ABHabsfan says:

That friggin’ Boyle is a giant, ain’t he?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

5. Tis Himself says:

Dark day indeed! I never thought I would live to turn down two offers to see the Habs at MSG on a Friday night, the better of which was seven rows from the ice. God, how far has this franchise sunk!

6. shootdapuck says:

A good read is the postmortem of Mcguire’s firing in Hartford.

Arrogance, poor communication, uninformed decisions isn’t that just the Goat all over with more bragging to the media.

McGuire envisions himself as Scotty Bowman and then some which he isn’t in any league.

His hiring by Geoff Molson would highlight a return to the dark ages!

7. HabFanSince72 says:

1P 13:00 Putrid power-play

Now where have I heard that one?

8. Kimberly2u says:

I predict a turd period collapse and another shoot out loss

9. JIMVINNY says:

Switching to RDS. Now TSN says Richards was only defending his goalie.

10. Mondou6 says:

NHL network announcers saying that RC has done a “very good job”, but won’t get the job only because he doesn’t speak French.

Yeah, he’s been coach of the year, leading us to a worse record than JM. I hate how the media pretends that RC is a great coach, but is somehow being unjustly discriminated against. Such BS.

Granted RC was done no favors when he took over, but he’s also done *nothing* to imply that he’s a good NHL coach.

11. JIMVINNY says:

F*cking TSN. Thinks that Calahan getting away with a hook is Selke worthy.

12. HabFab says:

A break down of the success rate for each round of the draft for those so inclined;

13. Kimberly2u says:

Is Kaberle still off trying to lose his baby fat?

14. Maksimir says:

Boone – going to need some rapid play by plays… my 2 yr old daughter is hogging the TV watching the Wiggles!

15. immortalhab says:

Someone help. There are still people defending JM as though he has the right number of chromosomes.

Don’t force me to waste good blog space on the many coaching blunders he made over and over again. Someone earlier compared him to Hitchcock … Maybe they meant Alfred????

Smart Dog would be loving the last few minutes of the RDS broadcast.

17. Mondou6 says:

Bonsoir, mes amis. Comment ça va?

18. nellis13 says:

I love PK, but 2 Subbans in the same dressing room? Half the team would be asking to be traded the next day. Besides, he’s probably too small in the long run.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…excuse if this already posted, …a team by team goalie breakdown by Kevin Weekes, cbc.ca: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/03/goalie-power-rankings-3.html

…Montreal Canadiens; Carey Price & Budaj ranked 14th out of 30 (mid-pack)
    …You may note, the elite teams mostly carry a 1 & 1A goaltender nowadays …if Malcolm Subban available in second round ? …grab Him !

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

…the Montreal Canadiens organization and Our Fans, as a whole need to feel this current cold frigid splash of reality, …this process will, hopefully, give Us a long needed sense of humility, not humiliation …and help to revive and renew Our tattered culture of high hockey ideals, and ultimate success in the near future
    …ride the wave, is all We can do as Fans: …Ownership must make the right choices, persevere, and act not talk

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Isn’t MacQuaid the guy who broke Mason Raymond’s spine?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Vincent Damphousse – a man with absolutely no pro experience in management.

I dig what he says, but give me a break.

I’ve only got 18 years left in terms of the average male life expectancy for a typical Canadian. And I drink like Richard Burton (who is neither Canadian or Irish). I want one more Cup before I go to the Augusta National in the sky.

22. Phil C says:

I feel that the biggest weakest for the Habs this year has been on defense. Looking forward to next season, many have been saying that the Habs are set in their top four with Markov, Subban, Gorges and Emelin and that they need a defensive defenseman to match with a 3rd pairing offensive defenseman (Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, take your pick). My concerns are as follows:

1. Is Emelin really ready to assume a top four role? He has not looked good in recent games and sophomore slumps are common in the second season. He only has 6 points in 64 games, which is not top four to me. I would rather see him protected in a 5/6 role so that he can develop as required.

2. Is Gorges really a top four guy? Don’t get me wrong, I love what he brings to the team, but with only 13 points in 77 games despite logging over 22 mins/game tells me he is more suited to a 4/5 shutdown/penalty kill roll.

If I am right, the Habs really, really need at least one bonafide top-four defenseman in free agency this summer. They might even need two. Help is coming on the farm, but most, if not all the D prospects could use some seasoning in Hamilton.

If they only sign one free agent defenseman, one of Emelin, Diaz, or Kaberle will have to elevate their game if the Habs want to compete next year. If they don’t sign any, get ready for the Nathan McKinnon sweepstakes.

23. nellis13 says:

Wow the dumbest thing Ron Corey did..that’s like picking out the drunkest guy on Crescent street on st patty’s

Re: Jim Nill’s draft record in Detroit. He has done a pretty decent job considering the Wings rarely drafted in the top twenty.

2002 – Hudler, Fleischmann and Flippula
    2003 – Howard, Quincey (no 1st rounder)
    2004 – Franzen (no 1st or 2nd rounder)
    2005 – Kindl, Abdelkader and Helm
    2006 – Emmerton and Matthias (no 1st rounder)
    2007 – Brendan Smith
    2008 – McCollum and Nyquist
    2009 – Tatar (no 1st rounder)
    2010 – Sheehan (hard to say) Jamkrok ((51st) and Pukkinen (111th)
    2011 – Jurco and Ouellet (no first rounder)

Looks good to me considering their draft positions over the years.

The only thing the Habs have done better over the years (comparatively speaking) is grab Subban in the middle of the 2nd round.

• TomNickle says:

Care to point out how many picks he had during that time Steve?

And no impact players since 2004. Great draft record.

By that logic, Trevor Timmins should be our next GM.

• 24 Cups says:

I thought I did point that out. Not to mention that I also pointed out that the Habs have only drafted one impact player during the same time period (in terms of the same draft positioning).

I take the time to check the info and type it out and you come back with a condescending answer. Why should I bother?

• HabFanSince72 says:

As I said before – since 2004 it’s Abdelkader and some nobodies.

Timmins has drafted a whole team’s worth of NHLers in that time.

• 24 Cups says:

The only Hab is Subban (or MaxPac as I just mentioned to Tom. Franzen = MaxPac in my eyes)

This is based on the guidelines of the discussion, of course.

• TomNickle says:

Well you didn’t mention the number of picks Nill’s made and are neglecting to mention that Max Pacioretty was drafted in a similar position to where every Detroit first rounder is.

I didn’t mean it to be condescending but the talk of Jim Nill is beyond annoying at this point. He’s done nothing to elevate himself above the french speaking candidates and to inflate his credentials because he’s a member of the Red Wings is ridiculous.

• 24 Cups says:

OK, we’ll let it go.

BTW, I didn’t include MaxPac because I thought Franzen in the 3rd round was close to being equal.

25. JayK-47 says:

If firing Savard and Demers was the dumbest thing Corey did, than WHO hired Trembley/Houle???

26. TomNickle says:

I’m just gonna go ahead and call my shot now.

Serge Savard and Geoff Molson will hire Denis Savard or Guy Carbonneau.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

A lot of us are worried about these appointments. But think about this.

Whoever we appoint as coach will likely be fired in 2 years (after we’ve been calling for it for months).

Whoever we get as GM will likely be fired in four years (after we’ve been calling for it for months).

It’s not like getting a tattoo or buying a house.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I don’t have a good image in my head reading Benoit Brunet buttering up Savard…. watching TSN not RDS right now

29. HabFanSince72 says:

Lines for next year:

Gionta – Plex – Radulov
    Cole – DD – Max
    Grigorenko – Eller – Moen
    John Scott – Ryan White – Trevor Gillies

30. HabFab says:

I see the following three candidates as the leaders;
    Julien BriseBois – 11 years experience in NHL management including AHL GM, capoligist and assistant NHL GM, lawyer – 35 years old
    Marc Bergevin – 8 years experience as assistant coach, scout and assistant GM, ex NHLer – 47 years old
    Claude Loiselle – 14 years experience as a scout, assistant GM, ex NHLer, got law degree after playing career – 49 years old

• twocents says:

I like your list, but would place Bergevin and Loiselle ahead of Brisebois, he could use more seasoning and I think the other two’s playing career is a plus… just not essential.

• HabFab says:

Not in any order Eric.
        Personally worry BriseBois is too young which is why I researched them. He actually has more upper level NHL management experience then the others. His biggest positive for me though is that everyone talks about how sharp he is.

31. habaholic68NJ says:

Going to. MSG tonight. Should I cheer to win or hope to lose?

32. pmaraw says:

I think Kovalev would make a good coach, he knew when Carbo should call a timeout :o

33. ABHabsfan says:

The solution just came to me between bites of lasagna:
    Geoff Molson agrees to buy 7000 season tickets for Fla games for each of the next 3 years. Tickets are then distributed to Habs season ticket holders who vacation in the Miami area as a thank-you for putting up with crap at home for the past while.
    Fla franchise gets their minimum attendance to guarantee league assistance for the next 3 years,
    Habs get Dale Tallon as GM. ( and if we could somehow get Huberdeau too that would be great. Still working on that one)

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

Now that is thinking outside the box, well done. The only thing I see changing to your plan is Geoff sells the Florida tickets to Hab Fans at a slight 35% markup is all…..Seats also are in a special area where beer sales are slightly inflated.

• ABHabsfan says:

Good idea, make ‘em feel at home!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• tote-road says:

2,500 tickets; Tallon, Huberdeau and Durocher and its a deal.

34. Bob_Sacamano says:

I know “Sturm und Drang”, aber “Stürm”? Das ist mir neu.

35. Houston Habs Fan says:

Not sure if this has been posted before but the next time time someone tells you they want McGuire to GM the Canadiens you should put them in a headlock and force them to read this article about Pierre’s coaching regime in Hartford. He makes Mario look like Toe Blake. Here are a couple of highlights:

“In 15 years of covering the NHL, we had never seen a coach so universally disrespected and disliked within his own organization.”

“In a blistering post-mortem, captain Pat Verbeek called McGuire’s firing the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said other teams mocked their coach. He said his own teammates had no respect for McGuire. He said a number of players wouldn’t have wanted to play in Hartford anymore.”

Read the whole thing here: http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/sports/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

36. Stev.R says:

Montreal misses playoffs for 2nd time in 9 years – Fire coach, Assistant coach, and GM.

Toronto misses playoffs 6 years in a row – GM will definitely be back next season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

With a quick scan of the Leafs’ system, do they have any chance of making the playoffs next season? I don’t think so?

At least the Habs have Price, Subban and the Desharnais line. They also have some good looking prospects in the works.

Toronto has a one-dimensional goal scorer in Kessel and a decent center in Grabovski but is there anything else after that?

Burke is going to have to reshape that roster in order to appease his new coach. The team was built for Ron Wilson’s run and gun offense, not the defensive in your face game which Carlyle coaches.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I really don’t think the City of Toronto could withstand another “reshape” as you put it?

That baby is ready to blow.

• Stev.R says:

Fortunately they are handcuffed with Komisarek, Kessel, Schenn, and Liles’ contract. Can’t bury them all in the minors. And they have another year to pay Tucker a million bucks.

I bet there will be a ton of hype about Toronto going after Parise or Suter, and they won’t get either and they’ll settle for Langkow at 4m and Willie Mitchell for 5m. Then they’ll sign Chris Mason and annoint him the chosen one.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Even if they got Suter or Parise they’d still be a bubble team?

I look for Burke to blow his load in a trade to Columbus.

Kadri, Phaneuf, Kessel, Schenn and 2 or 3 first round picks for Nash and Columbus 1st round pick

• Stev.R says:

I’ve had that gut feeling too that Nash will go to Toronto and they will pay out the ass to get him. Only thing I could see that may prevent it from happening is the only thing of real value in Toronto is their draft picks.

37. jols101 says:

Solution to most of the Habs problems:

In a dark, backroom at an establishment that sells only Molson products, Geoff Molson meets with Dave Tallon and offers to make him the highest paid GM if he resigns as the Florida GM and joins the CH. Only one provision : before resigning from Florida, Tallon must approve a trade that would send Gomez and Kaberle to Florida and Huberdeau to the Habs…

Problems solved…LOL..DO IT

Eric! I have been researching different candidates for fun the last two days. Mike Boone’s evaluation of a few of them was interesting.
    And I have come to the conclusion that Mike’s 1st pick, Julien Brisbois is my pick as well.

He is very well educated and has a fine track record of getting things moving in the right direction rather quickly. Young and dynamic. I did not know anything about him until I started looking at different people. He has a great past work history and a lot of it with the Hab’s. It is going to be very interesting over the next couple of weeks for sure.

39. HabFanSince72 says:

Everyone assumes Jim Nill is going to be a great GM but is there any evidence besides the fact that he is in Detroit?

My dept. once hired a guy who did his Ph.D. with a Nobel laureate. His first ever experiment was published in Nature. Only problem is he was s**t. Never really did anything on his own. Lived off his reputation for 15 years then was kicked upstairs.

Check out the managerial record of one Doug MacLean who was also in the Detroit organization.

Also Jim Nill is in charge of drafting and the Wings’ drafting has been abysmal in the past 6-7 years (I posted all their draft picks once – not going to do it again but it’s basically Justin Abdelkeder and a bunch of career ECHLers).

(That was hyperbole by the way.)

• twocents says:

Essentially the same thing could be said of any of the leading candidates. Not a one of them has a proven record as a successful NHL GM.

• HabFab says:

And how many successful GM’s are there? and how many fit the critique here?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not quite. For every other candidate people provide a list of pros and cons.

For Jim Nill it’s “he works in Detroit”.

• twocents says:

But for all of them you can still say they’ve proven nothing or little as NHL GM’s.

Doug Maclean is no more pertinent than Bob Clarke.

I am not saying Nill is a slam dunk, but many around the game have been saying that he’s ready for his own gig. In the absence of someone available with a winning GM c.v., there’s risk in all of them.

• TomNickle says:

Jim Nill had a miserable tenure in Ottawa and his draft record with Detroit has been pretty embarrassing for the most part.

HF72 is absolutely right on this and we’ve been in agreement about it for quite some time.

Nill is a name the media loves because he works for Detroit. That organization is the model of consistency in how they do business. That doesn’t make Nill an elite talent evaluator or anything else for that matter.

When media pundits are going to predict success for future executive changes, they tend to side with the safest pick, the one most likely to look good later on. How are the Steve Yzerman projections workin out? Stan Bowman?

These are the people after all who dogged Dale Tallon, Bryan Murray and Peter Chiarelli yet praised the acquisitions and previous works of Brian Burke, Mike Gillis, Dean Lombardi and others who have done nothing to prove their metal.

• twocents says:

My point isn’t to get hung up on Nill. I know I don’t know who is best suited of the bunch. The point I am making below is that former player should not be a criteria and that Mcgoo, Damphousse and Roy comprise the worst options out there. Though I will admit Roy has plenty of upside, it’s just the downside could be devastating.

• TomNickle says:

A former player while not essential is a plus in my opinion. Who better to evaluate the needs of a team than somebody who’s been in similar situations and has first hand knowledge of what teams lack in different situations?

Julien Brisebois scares me. The only way I’ll be comfortable with him coming on board is if Trevor Timmins is promoted to Assistant GM.

There are plenty of Assistant GM’s around the NHL and elsewhere with experience in scouting, coaching, managing and playing. In my opinion, the people who have experience in all of those areas and are able to communicate in French and English should be at the top of the list.

• twocents says:

Then where it counts we agree. That’s why Damphousee and McCheese are ridiculous suggestions.

But as far as successful GM’s go, the Stanley Cup is covered in ones who never played an NHL game.

• ABHabsfan says:

Whatdayamean?! Doug MacLean is the greatest coach and GM ever to grace the hockey world! he said so himself so it must be true!
      Did you know he drafted Rick Nash?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

The raffle Draft positions are–

4 teams tied for 27th place 77 points
    26th place Toronto has —–75 points
    27th place Minnesota has–74 points
    28th place Montreal has—-72 points X
    29th place Edmonton has–71 points
    30th place Columbus has–57 points

I sure hope we win each game, but I would not be happy if we are out of the running for a 1st over all pick like every other year!

41. kazmojo says:

Seem to be two schools of thought regarding next year’s team: not much hope at all for a rebound, or just a piece or two away from giving it a real shot. So where’s the truth? Apart from a top-notch coach and GM, how do the Habs break down next year?

Top 6: Really only need a winger, with Desharnais and Plekanec up the middle, and Cole, Pacioretty and Gionta on the wings. Molson needs to eat Gomez’s salary and park it in Hamilton.

Bottom 6: Some question marks, esp if Leblanc and Eller can continue their progress, and if Bourque can stop his regress. So re-signing UFA’s Darche and Moen should be priorities. They make excellent 4th liners alongside White, and decent third liners should the others fail to pick it up. And then hopefully Staubitz or some other willing combatant.

Top 4 D: Gorges, Subban, Markov and Emelin. The first two should be solid for years to come. Markov’s knee seems ok, and hopefully can withstand another campaign. Emelin needs to get back to rock ‘em/sock ‘em hitting, and hopefully Staubitz, White et al can keep the thugs off his back.

Bottom 2 D: Diaz is solid here, but needs a big, physical partner. Kubina?? Whoever it is, he should also serve as insurance should any of the top 4 go down. And Kaberle? His point production certainly wasn’t lacking, but if could play D against 3rd and 4th liners, he could stay. Big “if” and I bet he joins Gomez.

Goalie: Price is a solid top 10 goalie. Won’t steal many games, but won’t lose them either. Maybe not what you’d expect for a #5 pick, but good enough.

If the above is correct, and the Habs pick up a UFA dman like Kubina, then one would hope they’d have a chance to take Filip Forsberg with a top 5 pick. He’s got size, speed and a right handed shot — rare among the Habs’ top 6.

But even if they end up signing a UFA to address that need, let’s hope the new GM realizes that all significant new contracts (except Price’s and Subban’s) shouldn’t extend beyond two years. That’s when Malkin comes on the market, and the Habs should be ready to throw huge money at him.

42. twocents says:

It’s very worrisome how Savard has twice said he likes the idea of a former player and suggests prior experience not being necessary.

You don’t have to go any further than his examples to be worried by his stance. He points to Clarke and himself as support. Well Serge you were both hired nearly 30 years ago and the game/business has changed drastically. You’ll notice he doesn’t mention a current analogue like Mr. Snow on the island.

I think Vinny is the worst candidate out there… after McGoo of course… and Roy the riskiest. I hope he is thinking Bergevin when he speaks these words.

I’d be even happier if he was thinking of Jim Nill, but I don’t think he speaks french and Serge is unequivocal on that.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d have to agree . I personally have no desire to see a former player or anybody who has gone through the ringer in Montreal be hired as the new GM.

• 24 Cups says:

Amen to that, Eric.

I understand that Molson needs someone to help out but the Savard card worries me.

Hab fans are dancing in the streets but I’m keeping my champagne on ice for awhile.

• twocents says:

It’s good to know that the two of you agree. I was wondering if I was alone in this opinion.

I subscribe to thinking that is fairly in line with what Martin said about the current team. I think there is a very good and encouraging core in place. The wrong personality could dismantle things in a big hurry, especially someone whose ego is as big as the team.

And like Hobie alludes to, someone who has lived the drama of the Montreal media as a player, might just pay too much attention to it.

• HabFab says:

Molson is being politically and business smart here. An anglophone owner and a francophone legend doing the process together.

• twocents says:

Sure, but Savard is as outta touch with the current game as can be. There are other Francophones who could be helpful here. Why not reach out to Lemaire? At least he was still working in hockey just last year. I’d bet he’d be open to this type of temporary role.

• HabFab says:

Hate to say this but been in US too long. Don’t get me wrong but unfortunately Quebec is so political. And I’m certain that the choice will be one Molson is not just comfortable with. He isn’t the owner of the Habs because he had excess cash to spare, but a passion for the team and his families history with it. He is embarrassed and taking the team in another direction…his.

• twocents says:

Frank, all that’s fine and dandy… and very heart wrenching.

But, the bottom line is, when a guy is pointing to examples from 30 years ago to prove his point, my point is proven. He is way outta touch, and this search’s time frame doesn’t give him a ton of time to get all caught up.

Let Carriere advice for all I care, just let it be someone who knows more current people than the ones he used to employ.

• HabFab says:

Heart wrenching? LOL! Sorry but didn’t mean to play with your emotions :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Exactly twocents! I would purposely choose a staff of English speaking personnel so they wouldn’t have to speak to the french media ever ;-0.

Maybe pick an all Japanese staff so none of the media would want to talk to them!

• Timo says:

I agree Eric. I never liked the choice of Savard being part of the process to begin with. I am a proponent of let’s not bring the former great a.k.a. old boys club back into this. If you are starting with the clean slate, start with the clean slate. Hard to image Savard wouldn’t be looking after some of his buddies in all of this. I have little faith.

43. HabFab says:

Here is Robert Rice aka the Serious one and his take on the GM candidates;

• habsfaninboston says:

Interesting read. Some candidates I hadn’t heard about. Unfortunately however, Savard may not consider them if they’re not bilingual.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Robert is right on the mark with his picks. I’d like to see a combination of almost any two of his picks. One for their management skills, one for their player evaluation skills. Please no ex-Habs, been there done that, doesn’t work!!

Intrigued to, by B. McKenzie’s idea to test the waters for a guy like Dale Tallon in Florida. The guy has a proven track record, and, speaks French.

In lieu of that Robert’s picks are all quality potential GMs.

• thorandresson says:

btw, has he done any prospect updates lately?

44. The_Franchise31 says:

Just saw Chris Nilan at Canadian tire… Was to nervous to say anything but he said hey how are ya to me lol

• Mattyleg says:

Smooth.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Love him or hate him, Nilan has turned into a pretty decent guy. He has come a long was with his addictions and since he started appearing on the radio a couple years ago.

His talk with Savard on the radio yesterday was pretty touching and you could tell Savard was proud and had a soft spot for in his heart Nilan.

Nilan just shows its never too late too turn the ship around and maybe just maybe there will be a roll, probably minor ;-), in the Canadiens organization for him one day.

• Phil C says:

They should get Nilan to run a fighting camp every year to teach the guys how to sling the knuckles on skates. I’m not saying I want the team to fight all the time, but I would really like to see ALL the Habs players know how to protect themselves and defend themselves in a in a hockey fight, if the situation arises.

• smiler2729 says:

I dunno but I think Chris Nilan would be a decent head coach for the Habs… in a Ted Nolan-Terry Crisp kind of way…

Just sayin’

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

45. P-Habby says:

Just bought my mega-millions lottery ticket. Tomorrow, after I win I’m buying the Islanders and moving them to Quebec City and hiring Patrick Roy as my GM so you can take him off the list… :)

46. Brazhabs says:

I think an immediate solution to the holes we have on D that could really help is to make a serious pitch for Justin Schultz. Big body, rips in the WHL, young and projected to be a solid NHL defender. Basically a steal if we can get him as he is set to become a UFA at seasons end. What do you all think?

47. otter649 says:

If McGuire does not get hired it wouldn’t be from lack of trying from TSN990 w/ Melnick & crew lobbing softball questions on what will you do if you were GM of The Canadiens etc ……..

I find Melnick’s lobbying over the top. I used to quite enjoy his show, but have pretty much stopped listening as a result of this man crush he has on Pierre.

48. Bill says:

HIO Moments: people who seriously argue in favor of hiring a GM whose career they are so familiar with that they don’t even get his name right.

• Chuck says:

It’s the little things that make me smile. :)

___________________________________________________

• smiler2729 says:

I still think Kirk Muller is posting when you post, Bill, freakin’ intimidating.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

49. jo_maka says:

Pierre Lacroix, Dave Tallon, Jim Nill, all solid prospects.

But if they should ever fire Timmins, it should only be done IF they can get Detroit’s amateur scout boss. Man that guy got it. No high picks, all steals, perennial powerhouse. Andersson I believe his name is. Other than that, keep him !

_________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Stev.R says:

I read somewhere that if you analyze Det’s history, they have really only had a handful of good prospects. Unfortunately for everyone else their names were Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Zetterberg. I’m not sure where I read that. Could be wrong.

I’m a bit perplexed by the goaltending choices for the weekend. The Habs start Price in a meaningless game and then use the back-up against a team that is contending for a playoff spot.

Hardly fair to teams such as Florida, Buffalo and Ottawa. All hell would break loose here on HI/O if that happened to the Habs under the same circumstance.

Very good point, hadn’t thought of that. Perhaps our excuse is we have no GM?

• habsfaninboston says:

It’s the tanking philosophy.

• Chuck says:

You play your best against their best. It’s not the Habs fault that Washington has been sucking the hind one.

___________________________________________________

• HabFanSince72 says:

Rangers are fighting with the Pens for #1 which is huge. #1 plays Buffalo and NJ (say). #4 plays Philly and Boston.

51. The Dude says:

I think it’s time to lay-off the Molsons ,eh! They’ve got a lot on their plate right now and they have done what had to be done,Bravo! Let the rebuild of THE GREATEST SPORTS TEAM EVER begin…And with this let us understand The Whole Team will be reevaluated on who will stay and who will go!”I expect too see a team o Giants” Yeah Baby!!!!

52. HabFanSince72 says:

If we’re ranting…

You know what really irks me? People who have to clean every last snow flake off their car before driving off.

There you are waiting to park in their spot, and they take forever cleaning the snow off their car – not just the windshield, but the whole car (or minivan – it’s almost always a minivan). OK the hood I can see. Maybe even the roof. But the doors and side panels? It’s still snowing. I mean, what’s the point?

• Mattyleg says:

In the same vein, what DRIVES ME NUTS is clowns who drive around with snow on the roof of their car!!

My sister was almost killed driving down the 20 towards Ste. Anne-de-Bellevue about 15 years ago because some lazy sonofa—- (bitch) couldn’t be bothered to clean the snow off their car, and the entire thing, with a sheet of ice at its base because of the warm car, lifted off and spun back into my sister’s car. The winshield shattered, blasting glass into her face, and she came this close to going directly into the ditch. She leaned on her horn, but the imbecile in front of her drove blithely away, completely oblivious to his/her close brush with murder.

So it drives me MENTAL whenever I see cars (I’m sorry, but it’s usually women in SUVs or minivans who can’t reach the roof) driving around with snow on their roofs, I honk like mad and try to make them understand.

…and of course it always ends up being me that looks like the nutcase.

PLEASE clean off the roof of your car.

But do it quick, HFS72 is waiting right. behind. you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Phil C says:

They have done studies that show that people actually take longer to vacate a parking space if someone is waiting for them. The theory is that it’s some sort of territorial instinct kicking in.

Does it help if you lay on the horn, roll your window down screaming profanities and flip the bird?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Odd. I definitely hurry up if someone’s waiting.

While I’m here – how about people who double park on St.Laurent? You know buddy if you were that important you’d have a chauffeur.

53. Bill says:

I want a GM with some grit personally. A guy who takes no crap and will clear the crease and send Gomez to the minors. Im talkin’ the minors as in Federal League here. I want a GM who knows the CBA and can roll a copy of it up and stab Chara in the heart with it. A GM who is 6’5″ 250lbs who goes to the net and would never trade for Rene Bourque. I want a GM who can do interviews in French, English, and Latin, who is a capologist with negotiations, a psychologist with the media, and a cardiologist with underperforming 7 million dollar centers. Basically, I want Chuck Norris as GM. Is that too much to ask?

If so, I will settle for any candidate not named McGuire.

54. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s going to be interesting – we’ll get to see if Molson is a man with skills and ideas, or just a trust-fund king who inherited a load of money. It’s going to take brains to get this team out of the March pothole it’s in now.
    Just what we needed, another sub-plot in our soap opera hockey season!

55. punkster says:

March 29, 2012.

Day 1 of the New Habs Dynasty (NHD™).

(there…trademarked and protected)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

56. Da Hema says:

I hope Geoff Molson has learned his lesson — don’t hire vegetarians! They are autocratic, paranoid, and impulsive.

;-)

What do you guys think: Chantal Machabee GM, Jessica Rusnak coach.

58. H.Upmann says:

@mark-ID: not to worry, he’s pretty “good in the room”… He can finally start investing in property around Hamilton.

• kbhab4ever says:

The Habs need to hire a duo or a tio to led OUR the fans HABS. In todays NHL you need a judge of talent{P.McGuire} a CAP guy{J.Brisebois}Would be my choices with a third person with final say .Maybe MacGuire can be that guy that makes the final call BUT the idea kinda scares me. BUT I think with the CAP you cannot just have one person doing it all.The only things the leafs have done RIGTH is that they have a stong support TEAM.

59. mark_ID says:

I love how when Gomez is sent down to the Bulldogs….he will be making more then the whole entire AHL team’s organization.

I’m sure he will make quick friends.

“Step off George”

60. MiltonHab says:

Please stop with the Patrick Roy, JM, Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Guy Carbonneau talk. This is all so old. Lets get into the year 2012 with new blood, new ideas. Stop living in the past. A smart, dynamic, french speaking GM with some jam.

61. H.Upmann says:

Thing about JM: hiring him would send wrong MSG to the youth that had their ice time reduced or nailed to the bench.

• The Cat says:

If JM is hired as GM, I hope many of you will join me in cheering for the Nordiques!

Would be quite something if indeed Bettman is playing the group behind the Nordiques bid and ends up giving the next franchise to a different American city. I don’t say this hoping that is the case, but Bettman would lie to his mother to help his personal agenda I feel.

62. Strummer says:

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch”

Were these words ever so timely in the history of this franchise?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

63. disgustedhabsfan says:

Let’s solidify our draft position. That should be the focus.

———
    Mr. Blutarsky: zero point zero.

64. Mattyleg says:

Wow.
    I’d like to suggest that anyone who hasn’t read Bripro’s rant on the previous thread to go do it.
    It’s inspiring.
    What a vent!
    Whooo! Blow out them spiderwebs and make room for the weekend!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Mat. I’ve been on Day(Night)Quill for 3 days, and no one around here feels sorry for me (I mean no one in my family).
      I realize this isn’t really the forum for it, but I figured if I put a hockey spin to it, I could rant.

65. jon514 says:

Am I the only one who was actually buying what Molson was selling? I mean you know he comes from a long line of very good salesman by the way they sell a whole lot of a pretty poor beer, but man, he seems to really love this team. I like that he said the decision to pull the trigger on Gomez and company (Kab, Bourque) will be left up to the hockey people, but that he’s committing to do what it takes to win. Sounds like the new GM will have a free hand with buyouts right?

• coutNY says:

Would doubt there will be a mass buyout unless it was allowed by CBA changes, as it would count against the cap today. I see move as hampering the new GM too much. Creatively moving them to AHL and paying there salaries there a possibility.

• ABHabsfan says:

I don’t buy what Molson is selling; I buy what Alexander Keith is selling

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I liked his press conference. He seemed sincere & eager to make the right moves as well as restoring pride in the CH.

66. Chuck says:

Hmmm… Habs have a vacancy at GM after firing Gauthier. At the same time, Jim Balsillie retires from RIM. Coincidence?

___________________________________________________

• Bripro says:

RIM is tanking even more than the Habs.

• Chuck says:

The made 4.5billion last quarter, and 18.5billion last fiscal. Now that’s the kind of tank that I could get behind! :)

___________________________________________________

67. Bripro says:

Repost:

I see the leafs are planning for next year.

68. WindsorHab-10 says:

If Jaques Martin gets an interview, I will shoot myself in the heart.

69. Morenz7 says:

Not to dance on the man’s grave, but I’m already enjoying LAG.

70. PeterD says:

A thought on the new GM and the new Coach for that matter…

How about they pick people NOT from other failing franchises like the Leafs, Tampa, etc…
    How about they get people in that have proven track records in this league that have built or helped build winning franchises.

I am so sick of the same old usual recycling of failed personnel…hey that’s how we got Gauthier and Martin in the first place…they sucked in thier previous attempts at leadership but let’s by all means hire them for the key roles with the Habs.

Remember Geoff and Serge, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing with the same people over and over and expecting different results…so how about a completely NEW approach with new and or spreviously successful people.

They may be few and far between but I am sure organizations like Detroit may have some insight for us to consider…

• JIMVINNY says:

Actually, according to some theories in the field of quantum mechanics, an experimenter can influence the results of a test simply by thinking it. Therefore, doing the same thing but expecting a different result could theoretically have that exact effect.

• Bripro says:

The problem is those franchises are not interested in giving up quality talent.

71. Sako99 says:

Anyone else here think bringing Souray in for 6th D, is a good idea. He’ll be the big slapshot on the point we’re looking for and the sweeper infront of price we need. I know hes older now and can’t fight, but i think he brings alot to the club. Also I’m loving this kid, Zach Bogosian from the jets, hes gonna be great.

If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.
    -Muhammad Ali

• mark_ID says:

I could see him definately getting our powerplay back on track.

Everytime our powerplay has been tops in the league….we have had a boomer from the point.

be it: Souray, Streit, Wiz, Schneider

Markov is a huge piece also….but without the bomb from the back end(which can actually hit the net) I don’t see us getting back to being the number 1 PP. Hopefully Subban can consistenly be that person, one day

“Step off George”

• Sako99 says:

Also Halpern will be FA soon and so will Dominic Moore. Just sayin’. It’ll give the new GM a chance to correct the previous ones mistakes.

If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.
      -Muhammad Ali

• ABHabsfan says:

Forget Souray, Garrison from Fla is the guy to chase IMO. He has a absolute BOMB from the point, 16 goals this year. And he is a plus player and he is UFA. Currently makes $675K but the dude is gettin’ PAID next year.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Souray but he isn’t a good fit anymore. He will command huge dollars and is injury prone. He is also a constant candidate for highlight real goals for the other team

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

72. PeterD says:

Questions for the day…well for another day actually…

What will be the first move the New GM makes?
    1) Sign some RFA’s (Price, PK, Eller…)
    2) Deal with the Gomez contract.
    3) Deal with the Kaberle contract.
    4) Pick a high first round pick for the terams future.
    5) Hire a coach.

• mark_ID says:

If I were the new GM to be hired….I wouldn’t accept the job, unless Molson gives me the OK to send Gomez to Hamilton lol

It is so bothersome, thinking that the player making “All star” money on our team….plays on our fourth line, if Molson can’t figure out that…..we are still in big trouble for at least two more years.

“Step off George”

• ABHabsfan says:

Can’t do much with conttracts until the CBA and future salary cap are finished so I will say the draft would be first then hire a coach

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

73. Kooch7800 says:

A buddy of mine just sent this to me and it is pretty interesting:

the Leafs with Burke: In 303 games they’ve had 127 wins, 135 loss & 41 OTL and 0 playoff appearances; with Ferguson Jr.: In 278 games they had 145 wins, 110 losses & 23 T & OTL and 2 playoff appearances.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

74. Max_a_million says:

I am not sure about McGuire. But he is passionate and cares, and that would be a monster improvement.

We should have Patrick for coach no matter who the GM is.

• Captain aHab says:

You just had to say monster didn’t you?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Max_a_million says:

Captain AHab you ‘just get it’, that’s all I need to say

• Captain aHab says:

McGuire and Roy would be fun, even if the results weren’t there. Actually, it might be even more fun if the results aren’t there.

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• GrimJim says:

That would be like watching that Mythbuster test where they drive two 18-wheelers into each other at 60 mph with a car in between them…

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t mind McGuire either. I just hate the way he talks. He tries to go too long without drawing a breath like he’s going for some Guiness world record.

• Ron says:

At least he talks. Thats somethng PG never did even in french. The media would not talk to McGuire after the first week because he would never shut up.

75. ABHabsfan says:

I support your notion, though I cannot support who you support. Though he who you support could support me and all those whom I support without any additional support. So, Dale Tallon, eh? Yeah good idea!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

76. Hobie Hansen says:

An usher from the lower bowl tendered his resignation for personal reasons…

What kind of wedge, Vokey?

78. TomNickle says:

We wouldn’t be trading anyone to get Savard and we wouldn’t be ignoring an obviously better candidate.

He fits Serge’s profile.

79. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m inching in that direction too.

80. Habitant in Surrey says:

…seems We have a quorum :)
    …Patrick with extended Player personnel responsibility + Coach

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

81. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Burke ‘knows’, in His mind, that His ‘survival’ depends on a home-run in the July draft …You can bet Your Teacher’s Pension the Weeds’ fall is scripted …and, I will be pissed if Randy Cunneyworth does not give the Geoffrions, Whites, Staubitz and The Finns on the team top-line minutes
    …this draft is critical to Our future, if Timmins and Our Habs do not screw it up

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

82. Mark C says:

How cares if it was 2o years ago? That was the last time we was working in the NHL. Why is McGuire more knowledgeable than everyone else is? I hear this all the time from his fan club, but where is the proof?

83. JIMVINNY says:

How does riding the coattails of Holland make one the “best for the job”?

84. ffenliv says:

I can spout all sorts of details about the birth, life and death of various famous scientists. It doesn’t mean I know anything about how to use their work.

McGuire can quote player stats all he wants. If he had any ability, someone would have picked him up by now.

McGuire’s ‘knowledge’ is, as far as I can tell, not developed beyond basic memorization.

85. Mark C says:

What a bunch of unsubstantiated rhetoric. If that’s true for McGuire it’s true for any legitimate candidate.

86. ABHabsfan says:

It’s true he knows about every pro player anywhere and most jrs, which makes Macguire a great candidate for pro-scout.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

87. HabFanSince72 says:

He was being polite.

88. Bill says:

As Hab in Burlington said on another thread, I guess that’s why Scotty offered Pierre so many jobs with Detroit and Chicago.

Full Breezer 4 Life

89. habsfaninboston says:

Not!

90. 69HABS says:

There are many HIO members that are WAY smarter than Scotty Bowman you know!

91. punkster says:

Don’t pet them HFS. They tend to follow you home.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

That is the best troll comment I have yet to read on the Internets. New Meme!!! New Meme!!!

93. croozer says:

McGuire is certainly an acquired taste but he does know the current generation of players.
    Useful in an advisory capacity perhaps but I’m not sure I want his finger on the button.

94. stevieray says:

ahh…that makes sense ..!!
    It’s working …

Hilarious.

96. HabFab says:

Beginning to think you are talking to Mr Peanut himself.

97. 69HABS says:

The ones we have R soft as Sh!t …

98. twilighthours says:

So is it Europeans or soft players you hate?

99. 69HABS says:

I don’t hate anyone.
    I just feel that we should take care of our own

100. Duracell3 says:

A. They are soft? Softer than our NA players? Who of our NA players is NOT soft exactly? Pk..sort of …Moen some nights… Staubutiz…and….? Yemelin is twice as physical as any of them.

B. Then 0 anglo players please.

101. Jim Edson says:

Because in riding those coattails he also is running the AHL affiliate, doing player evaluations and scouting.

What does riding a microphone prepare you for?

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

Saint Patrick and Jesus Price?

4 games left

I thought you meant patron saint. LOL

105. Clay says:

You’re cold

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

106. Clay says:

seconded

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

107. Bill says:

Everybody needs to ignore every troll. They need attention to live and without it they will migrate to Reddit.

Full Breezer 4 Life

108. Mr_MacDougall says:

agree, sometimes I have trouble recognizing them.. be helpful if people pointed them out.

Habs17 isn’t even a kid as he suggested IMO, just has “fun” creating aggravation..

Who do you hope the Habs select in their 1st rounder? (assuming it is anybody but Yakopov)

109. Clay says:

Yeah, usually I try to…just concerned with Markov I guess…

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

110. Bill says:

I like Grigorenko, he’s the consensus second-best player available. I am not worried about that single, random TSN article everyone seems to have adopted as gospel.

If they pick third, I say go with Galchenyuk or Forsberg. If they pick 5th, I like Dumba.

You?

Full Breezer 4 Life

111. Phil C says:

I don’t think it was bad. He might have tweaked his left knee, but to looked more like a knee to the thigh to me,so just a bruise. I’ll be surprised if he is hurt.

112. jols101 says:

Not sure Florida will give up a potential super star for an older 2nd line center, a marginal dman and a 2nd rounder who may never become a NHLer..
    Call me crazy but if i am Florida i pass on ur offer

113. Mr_MacDougall says:

not to mention taking on plenty of salary.

Top pick is not in the bag just yet my friend!

115. Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t understand how you can get in Markov’s case but support Gomez. Gomez won’t even be playing half this season. You really are a tool

116. JIMVINNY says:

It’s not because of you saying Markov is done that you’re a troll; it’s that, combined with everything else you say that makes you a troll.

117. jols101 says:

As an english only Habs fan, i feel i am missing out not being able to watch that show. It must be entertaining…

118. naweed235 says:

following the logic of the GM search in MTL, you sir, do not qualify to be a habs fan as an english speaking only citizen!

119. boing007 says:

If you can read French you could push the mute button and read the closed captions.

Richard R

120. Cal says:

If you like to hear a lot of rubbish spewing from a-hole, Anti-Chambre is your show. It’s a complete waste of anyone’s time.

121. stevieray says:

You like Gomez….???….delusional to say the least !!

122. alfieturcotte says:

Hard to argue with Ribeiro — we got Niniima for him. He lasted all of 1 season. Meanwhile, Ribeiro went on to be the #1 center that we continue to covet. Great playmaker, smart, smooth skater, size. Ryder’s talents were wasted — we let him walk and need a goal scorer like him on a N#2 line, with an AK46.

123. Mark C says:

Having one point is all it takes to be the best looking prospect at the WJC? And I thought the other poster was the Gomez fan…

124. Bill says:

I could see both Columbus and Edmonton trading their picks down slightly, but either way I see Yakupov and Grigorenko going 1-2. I will be very surprised if it happens any other way. I think Forsberg would be a great pick: he’s almost a year younger than Yakupov, plays pro, not junior (although not in the Elite league), and is big and skilled. The only question is if Galchenyuk has indeed continued to develop as people thought he would: before his injury it was thought he could rival Yakupov for the #1 pick. But he missed a whole year and I’m nervous about that.

Full Breezer 4 Life

125. alfieturcotte says:

Ribeiro was a good player when he got traded — 60 point man. The fact that Gainey let him walk for nothing is what I am criticizing. He was young and beginning to reach the potential…

AK46 has not had a fair shake in 2 seasons. he flip flopped from first line, to 3rd, to dog house and used as JM/RC whipping boy. He is a decent goal scorer, certainly better than Bourque and any player not on the DD line.

126. boing007 says:

Ribeiro was/still is a very good playmaker.

Richard R

127. Cal says:

AK mailed it in most nights. That’s why he was so frustrating and inconsistent.
    Ribiero, if he had stayed in Montreal, was like Higgins: a night life guy who was half asleep at practice.
    With nothing to do in Dallas, he is concentrating on hockey instead of drinking.

128. boing007 says:

Ribeiro AK Ryder. Sounds pretty good. Too late now.

Richard R

129. Mr_MacDougall says:

Last I checked Malkin was the last Euro to win Playoff MVP.

130. Ehabs9 says:

Galchenkyuk is American, ya his dad is Russian. But he was born and raised in the states, not that worried about him turning out to be a stereotypical Russian.

131. Cal says:

Don’t feed the tool.

132. habsfan0 says:

There’s LOTS to do in Dallas…Cowboys football, visit Dealey Plaza..

133. habaholic68NJ says:

Left with 3 min. Sent above from my iPhone at a bar & grill next to MSG.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html