Liveblog: Canadiens lose fourth in a row, six of their last seven

Subban

For the 22nd time this season, the Canadiens lost a game in which they’d forged a lead – in this case, 2-0 in the first period.
Florida scored four unanswered goals to get two points they need in the crazy Southeast Division race.
And the Canadiens stay in last place – in the Northeast and the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens had the game’s first eight SoG.

From there it was 32-12.

1. Rosieman says:

Krob1000

Pls tell me that in the same post you didn’t call for “hats off ” to “working class hero ” Gomez?

I can’t even think if what to say – stupidiest thing ever ?

2. SherbrookeW says:

The Habs got into this mess by giving up too soon on young players (Grabowski, S. Kost, Lapierre, three that come instantly to mind) and turning to aging “stars”. Gomez, Gionta, Kaberle. This is a guaranteed losing strategy for any organization in any sport. Giving up on young players now — P.K. , Plekanec (not as young but in the peak of his career), yes, even Akost (though his contract probably guarantees his being moved , not to mention Price — is a guaranteed way to ensure that a bad season becomes a horrific decade. Hold on to the kids, draft intelligently, hope that Markov will return — the future might be much brighter much sooner than it seems. “Blow up” the team now, and it won’t.

Habs Since ’68

3. manu07 says:

If plecs is still a hab tomorrow. I really think RC should experiment with him on the first line with cole and max. Put DD on line 2. To see of Plec can get something going with those 2. This season is done anyway. It’s worth a shot going into next year in my opinion.

4. H.Upmann says:

@krob: totally agree! Absolutely Gomez was a huge mistake, but I think PG had a huge hand in that one too….. and Im willing to bet that Bob is willing to come back to bury some
    sh¥yt… of course i screamed my head off during that miraculous run back in 2010- but the truths about it are starting to float to the surface…… on the bright side, tanking affords us a nice pick, and a good dose of humility !

5. manu07 says:

If Habs trade Subban to a contender. I bet he wins a cup.

6. manu07 says:

Report on twitter stating Habs would be willing to move Subban ???????? I really think trading Subban would be a terrible mistake. He so young has already been a great playoff performer. It been a rough year for everyone. I think he of all people need to stay.

• Mad Habber says:

It would be really stupid to trade one of the two defencemen that actually brings stability to the back end, can bring it offensively and lays down hits occasionally. The guys still has heaps of potential. Dealing him because attitude problems would be a mistake as far as I’m concerned.

7. manu07 says:

I’m not upset about cammi leaving. I did like cammi. But he was def. not putting and effort in at all this season. For someone who comes out in September and say he is in the best shape of his life, to come out and act like a baby all season deserved to go. Just I can see how it would serve as a distractions for the team and make things go downhill faster. Just PG should time thing better. Like make him a healthy scratch prior to the game. Rather then shaking things up during the game. Bottom line, I hope to see many of the Bad Apples on this team gone by 3pm tomorrow

• krob1000 says:

I don’t blame him after the story of Martin and his calling him out re the c in the room…that is a disgusting story and one that IMO is at the heart of the issues in Montreal. The team appears from the outside to have a very obvious divide between players and management and is missing the culture of a winning organization. I think things were supposed to and could have improved under Martin as he in theory was a guy who could bring that repsect but he was too hard on the kids and as the story often goes in the NHL could not communicate woth his players…this is where MUller was crucial….all of the guys loved him…and they love Koivu who also was a players captain. Both guys could gain respect from the offensive guys and the grinder crowd…as they both were warriors in both ends of the rink….and effort was never an issue. Gainey IMO also commands respect although he grossly overtated Gomez (oine hell of a mistake but..) althoguh I think Gainey could potentially restore some order and I would not be opposed to a management shuffling that includes the likes for Gainey again, carbo again, Roy, Robinson,etc…..I think they need to bring back guys who command respect and also eptiomize what the organization was supposed to be. I do think however one of the coaches needs to be able to see the offensive side of the game also. I believe Roy appreciates both sides and I also think Robinson and even Gainey do as well….Carbo is a little iffy in this area but has some strengths and things to offer but I just want order restored and leadership to come from the right places…I would be scouring the market for a washed up superstar a la detroit….they may not have much to offer on the ice but those are the guys I want helping grow the team.

8. Bim says:

Get ready people you may well have already seen the habs win their last game this season. They have quit. How do you have 4 shots on goal in the second period with two power plays? Disgusting! Tomorrow should be interesting. No one on this team should be untouchable except Cole, Pacorietty, DD, PK, Gorges,Emelin and Diaz. Unfortunately I do not think Price will sign with Canadiens next year (at least not if he’s in his right mind) or I would consider him untouchable too. The rest of this 4th line team is up for grabs. See you next year…four!

9. Ferg says:

That was hard to watch.
    And my dinner was no better. Time to go drop a Kostitsyn.
    You know… a big, slow, floater.

10. H.Upmann says:

@manu07: JT wrote a great piece a few weeks ago about PG…. Gutless. And I agree with her. He had no qualms about throwing colleagues under the bus…. and trading Cammy mid game? Come on- the guy wasn’t even going to TRY and get hurt around the net. (funny Im typing this as his Adidas commercial is playing…. Wish he tried that hard on the ice lol!!- granted still a playoff hero)…..

11. manu07 says:

I hope we get a high pick and draft a number 1 centre. And right now it looks like the chances are great!

12. manu07 says:

Grabovski… Glad he’s gone. All I have to say about him

13. manu07 says:

I do want to add this. Bourque came into a mess of a team. And as for the rest of the player. I truly believe the coach firings seems not planned and sporadic, cammi traded mid game. Say what you want but those things are distracting for both young players and vets. It’s No excuse but on the other hand I can see why this team has been getting worse and worse.

14. rjcp says:

So, been a passionate fan for 41 years and after investing so much emotional money and energy over time, I have to say this team has totally embarassed me and want 75% of the team gone. I never minded losing if there’s hustle, intensity, pride in the sweater and smarts with and without the puck. To see Gainey and Gauthier during the RDS broadcast, I wanted to scream at how badly they’ve screwed my/our Habs. So glad the deadline is finally here and can see some of these soft, lazy, over-paid bums gone. Only want Price, Emelin, Gorges, Desharnais, Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, White, Leblanc, Plekanec to stay. Seen enough of Subban’s crap, get something back now while you can, in a couple of years you’re going to hear how all his teammates are fed up with his antics. Too bad, guys got a ton of talent, maybe the right coach for him to stay.

15. manu07 says:

I guess AK is gone then. Hopefully the list goes on and on and on!

16. krob1000 says:

The Red Wings…..who the Habs want to emulate…hall of fame tradition in last 10 years
    Yzerman, Shanhan, Hull, Robitaille, Modano, Chelios, Murphy,Coffey, Larionov, Fetisov,Ciccarelli, Owner Mike Ilitch, Jim Develano, Mark Howe…current roster guys likely members….Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg?
    …you wonder why they manage to develop talent from within so well? they did not develop many of the guys on this list but who better to mentor guys and learrn from than these guys??Our vets have cups but none were any more than depth guys or slightly more…tehy are not guys of the Wings ilk…our Glory Days are gone but when guys like Koivu and Kovalev were around…(not hall of fame talents but just a notch below and commanded respect)….things were better….I posted last week that a team whose leaders are their role players will not succeed…and I stand by it 110 percent. Hats off to working class heroes like Gill, Moen, Gionta, Gorges, Cole, Gomez,etc…but they are not going to be the same leadership that even Koivu or even Kovalev in a sense was. I should not lump Cole and Gio in there ….but I still feel they are nowhere near Koivu or Kovalev even as sporadic as even he was…it was still claming I believe for guys to know at any point he could carry them on his shoulders with a ridiculous play.

17. manu07 says:

AK got Benched in the third. Did he make a stupid play?

18. nickster13 says:

So this is still early, but if the habs get 1st-2nd overall, would you guys consider trading down to the 5th pick lets say, but also getting another 1st round pick?

• PureGuava says:

No way!

I think they trade up to 1st or 2nd. This is a once in a lifetime chance to get a potentially elite center. If Edmonton gets one of the top two, they really don’t need a forward. I could see them trading the pick for a Defenseman, and taking anywhere from 3-10 also gets them another great player on the back end.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      – Robert Anton Wilson

• krob1000 says:

I would….any one of Forsberg, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk makes me happy so I would do it. One of them will be there at 5 as Murray or Dumba will go in the top 5….and neither is ideal for the Habs

• Talik Sanis says:

Yes, though if it is first overall, I’d be much more hesitant, as it would be more difficult to pass up on Yakupov than Grigorenko, due simply to my perception of their skill. However, I’d be pleased to move down and draft Galchenyuk in the top five. Due to injury, he will in all likelihood fall from his proper position.

Dumba, Murray, and Forsberg will probably go before Galchenyuk, and I’d be completely fine with that. We’d need to wait a little bit longer for Galchenyuk to make the NHL than we would with Grigorenko, as the former will need time to build up strength and make up for lost development time, but I believe he’ll be worth it. Whoever drafts him will get a steal.

19. Mr_MacDougall says:

I think Pleks will have a HUGE “bounce-back season” next year. It can’t get any tougher, He lost his RW Gionta to injury, and when he wasn’t hurt he was playing while being pretty banged up. Cammy was not willing to play physical and was a disaster. Played with Moen, briefly, who also got injured. Also Darche, Kostitsyn among others.

Next season with a healthy Gionta and Bourque he should be back to 60-70 points and 25G. Cut him some slack, he’ll be back much better next season.

20. SmartDog says:

There are a lot of good, young, and developing players on this team.

But it DESPERATELY needs a culture change, and a GM change so that those players are properly nutured and developed, and surrounded by excellent veteran mentors. Not soft, lazy, or just plain useless veterans who don’t help us win.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

21. manu07 says:

Missed the game tonight. Another loss. Not a bad thing for the purpose of the “Tank”. By reading posts I see campoli was out. Darch was out. Did Ak up his value??

22. ProHabs says:

You gotta love Thomas Kaberle. In a 4-2 game and 2.6 seconds left, he is hustling back as hard as he can to get that last icing at the end of the game. No quit in that guy, plays right up until the game is over.

What ever happened to Markov being out only 3-6 more weeks after that scope in Demeber. He was suppose to be back at the All-Star break.

23. The Gonk says:

Knowing our luck we lose in the lottery. Please Almighty HabGod let us get one of those Russian boys.

• nickster13 says:

No Russians please. No offense, but their track record is not good these days, minus Malkin and Datsyuk. I’ll take Forsberg, since Swedes usually play a smart game and don’t have a reputation for being anything but skilled

24. Trade rumor:

This is only a trade rumor or someone messing with trade scenario’s.

Carey Price to Columbus for Rick Nash.

25. --Habs-- says:

There are no quick fixes here my friends!

26. slapshot777 says:

Markov has to play this season like other posters have said, they need to know where they stand with him. I would say at least the last ten games would at least be a good sample.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree! If he is ready to play you play him and meticulouly manage his TOI. Benefits of playing him are: getting an idea of his total health; getting an idea of what age and time from the game has done to his game; getting an idea of a pairing of Markov/Subban or Markov/Emelin .. the promise and the pitfalls; instilling a new leadership and calming presence to take the team throuh the rest of the season; evaluating what a healthy ful functioning Markov means to how you fill out the rest of yor defense for next season.

27. smiler2729 says:

So if Columbus’ bad luck continues into the lottery and the Habs end up picking 1st, I think I’d rather Mik Grigorenko over Nail Yakupov, he’s bigger and a center… just sayin’

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

28. Pucknut says:

Having DD as our #1 center is like an NBA team having a slick, shifty 6 footer playing center. He may have the heart, skill & desire, but he’s not 7 feet.

29. Kimberly2u says:

I don’t want them to give up either but it must be hard on them every game…we can’t keep leads, can’t win from coming behind and most games can’t score.,,no quick fix and someone nailed it with we have no leadership and we take too many penalties

• zorro says:

When your always chasing, and a step behind the play (not moving your feet) your going to take penalties, some out of frustration, but mostly because your out of position and irresponsible.

30. Shane1313 says:

I hope we keep pushing and try to win every game, there is no pride in giving up games, and they won’t do it. The great thing in 15th place. Is that if we win 16 out of 20 or however many games are left, we’ll still be in last or second last and get a high pick

31. maiolola@comcast.net says:

The Habs will never win another Cup until they change this foolish language policy. If Chiarelli, Burke, Holland, etc were available, the Habs would pass on signing them because they don’t speak French?? Same with Coaches. Haven’t these fools ever heard of translators? Ridiculous!! But I guess when you sell out every game and charge $15 for a beer then there’s no need to worry about stuff like winning. Habs fans need to decide what is most important and vote with their wallets. So far language and mediocrity are acceptable.

Train

• dallyd31 says:

Burke is a good option ? The same guy that hasn’t gotten the Leafs into the playoffs in 3 years and has a worse winning percentage than John Ferguson Jr. ?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I was wondering when someone would blame the Frenchies.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

You do need to worry that you will sell out every game and be able to charge $15 for beer ALONG with stuff like winning. That’s why you do your very best to accomodate the principal language of your province and predominant fan base. It can be done!

32. C-Sword says:

Markov has to play if he’s capable of playing, they did not pay him to stay home. Put him on the PP, make him play 10 mins per match, I don’t care, if he gets injured again, screw him and it’ll be time to move on.

• dallyd31 says:

The fact that he is not playing means that he cannot play. If he could, he would be playing. Do you think he would just stay home and watch TV because he doesn’t feel like playing ?

• C-Sword says:

I’m not saying that he has to come back now, he should return when he’s ready, I just don’t agree with the people who keep saying he should wait until next season to come back to avoid being injured again.

• I am almost certain that we will see Markov play by season end(at least 2-3 games). Habs management needs to know where they stand with him going forward to next season.