Liveblog: Canadiens lose fourth in a row, six of their last seven

Subban

For the 22nd time this season, the Canadiens lost a game in which they’d forged a lead – in this case, 2-0 in the first period.
Florida scored four unanswered goals to get two points they need in the crazy Southeast Division race.
And the Canadiens stay in last place – in the Northeast and the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens had the game’s first eight SoG.

From there it was 32-12.

1. VONLEBARON says:

I said from the start of the season that we would not make the post season with JM as coach with out muller.
    Most of you wont agree with me saying I dont like DD. I said from the start that we wont be sucsessfull with him as our number one.
    why? Our pp was in the top three with plk’s as the number one.DD could not win a face off, to start the pp at the starty of the season.Plk’s lost the job right from the fist game of the season. How do you think he feel’s about that, not to mention darche out there over the other talent on the team. The fact his that with DD as our number one center, as been the worst I have ever seen this team. (20 years) The fact is that DD and Darche gets treated different because they are french, but that brass dont relize how it makes the rest of the team feel.The fact is we have a number one talent in Eller but wont give him the chance. It is said but it his true. We have to deal with no other team as to deal with, the french and english. If that was all put to one side and just play the game, we wound not be last in the east. Molson as sure made is mark on the team since he took over.I don’t care were a player is from, I only care about wins.DD has heart, but put him agains’t Patrice Burgeron, your just not going to win.

• munch17 says:

Are you and I the only ones who think this way? I agree 100%.

• The Gonk says:

I agree. I love DD but he’s a novelty 3rd or 4th liner on a legitimate contender. Mind you, even when we were decent the past 2 seasons we didn’t have a 1st or 2nd line, just 3 decent lines and something of a 4th. This season we’ve had DD’s and sacking Plekanec with a revolving list of wingers. Eller’s has shown flashes, but then he’s been stuck with Kostitsyn. By the way, anyone clambering for trading Plekanec should think really hard about that. 29 other teams would love him.

• Guy-Guy-Guy says:

If Eller was going to be our future we’d know it by now. DD has outperformed him at every level statistically, junior, AHL, NHL…

Eller is going to be a checker in this league. Good skater, lots of heart, but the talent is just not there. He stickhandles well and controls the puck well, just without the vision to be a top center here.

Tyler Seguin he is not…

2. Stev.R says:

If anyone is watching the Oscars and wants to be entertained, I suggest keeping up with Norm Macdonald on twitter.

3. Shane1313 says:

You know as much as people are crapping on the boys these days. I see a lot of passion on this team. A lot of these guys I wouldn’t let go including Plekanec unless its ridiculously good return. I’m glad PK was mad at the end, they’re frustrated like a lot of the fans. Out of all this, I hope we keep have some reason and know that some of these guys should stay on this team. I’ll always support the team, we’re not where we want to be, but we’ll be alright.

• --Habs-- says:

No disrespect but were you born in TO?

• powdered toastmann says:

The issue is not so much the character of some of the members of this team, it’s the total lack of regard for the necessary attributes of a successful team by Mgmnt. It’s the mqmnt team’s blindness/denial of what’s been lacking for years and what is necessary for this team to succeed. I can imagine that this blindness/incompetence has made it difficult to play for this team.

4. Curtis O Habs says:

If we could just win 18 0f 19, we might make the show.

5. The Gonk says:

Another awful game by an awful team. What’s happening to Lars Eller? Are they trying to ruin him? Because if they are they’re doing it in spades. I thought I saw Gainey’s mug flash on my TV during the game. I adore the man. I have a signed jersey from # 23. Hopefully he’ll help in the making of some sound decisions in the next 20 hours. Afterwards however, when this season is over, he and his sidekick Gauthier have to be shown the door. They can leave with some semblance of dignity by setting the table for the future. We need new blood in management and a new coach. Enough already.

• habs_54321 says:

whats gotten me fed up with this management over the years the most is the way they target a player to trade assets for and then find out hes not the player they need and end up dumping him for nothing they traded assets or tanguay (1st & 2nd rd picks) then let him go they trade assets or gomez ( higgins & mcdonaugh = 2 1st rd picks) gomez lays an egg they trade assets for wisniewski & moore (2nds round picks) and dont resign them…

6. habsfaninphx says:

I’d like to see Markov back before end of year just to see if we can depend on him for next season. What are the chances of Gionta and Gomez coming back this year?

7. twilighthours says:

HabinTrini,

Heres why I can’t get behind Pierre McGuire

1) he’s a total buffoon.

2) I want a GM with legitimate cred. A guy who has actually been in the head office a team that has won something. I’m not counting his time with the Pens as anyone could have been behind the bench and won with that team. McGuire, for all his talk, hasn’t done much. I want to pay a ridiculous amount of $$ (hey it’s not mine) for a recent and legitimate winner.

• powdered toastmann says:

Wouldn’t be my first choice either, but would be an infinitely better option than sticking with the 2 disasters we currently have steering this ship.

• otter649 says:

If Pierre McGuire is such NHL ready to be a GM etc how come people he worked for or with in the past have never hired him again. Brian Burke-Paul Holmgrem-Scotty Bowman-Pierre Gauthier scratch Gauthier…….

• habstrinifan says:

Thank you for replying.

Your argument #1 is purely ad-hominem and therefore I wont try to refute.
      Your argument #2 does not take into account the vast knowledge, contacts, and related experience that he has in hockey and atually in other areas of sport-teams which would serve him well.

It would be interesting to see if othe rposters comment re this thread.

• dallyd31 says:

What knowledge ? He is his biggest fan and probably the only person who thinks he is full of knowledge is himself. If he was at all qualified he would have had an NHL offer long ago.

8. I just woke up from a nap. I don’t even bother watching the Montreal Crapsacpades on Ice anymore. This franchise is laughable and Molson laughs all the way to the bank. Bank? Hey, that rhymes with tank for a team that’s just a yank!

9. H.Upmann says:

Hmmm….. not happy to learn bout JM – Muller thing…. gives me more reason to believe that PG was making decisions during the last blow-up and bringing in JM his buddy, turns out JM is a wee bit of a CONTROL FREAK (system and youth handling etc) and was butting heads with PG and Muller. Muller would have been perfect in Hamilton. Too bad. Can’t blame Guy Boucher for jumping at Tampa, why wait for your chance to assist JM?

Anyone know if Larry Robinson speaks French? I don’t think Muller does….. Read on here Dale Tallon speaks French… Ah who cares anyways now, let’s tank this sh¥t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I guess people were secretly praying for a high draft pick in direct opposition to the Fatwa issued by the Montreal Diocese

11. --Habs-- says:

The good news! The countdown to the end of the season and hoping the Habs fall as far as they can. Then the lottery and the Habs can’t loose more than 1 position I believe. Could be a fun June 1 if they don’t trade the first round pick to make some silly move.

12. HabsFansince49 says:

Therein lies the entire problem and Molson won’t fix it. Gainey-Gauthier & Molson at the game. Gainey should be banned and the Ghost fired.

13. Psycho29 says:

Hey check out L’Antichambre soon…..
    They have a feature called “On the road with Mike Ribiero”

Gee I hope I don’t miss THAT!

14. boing007 says:

Send Kaberle to the Blackhawks.

Richard R

15. harrow15 says:

We now have great potential for a top 3 draft pick! We put Markov on the shelf for the rest of the season, and by next season hes back in the mix full healthy. We may even snag another couple draft picks, maybe some 1st or 2nd rounds, which would bolster hamiltons lineup and promote LL in the show.

When you already accept defeat things arent looking terrible for next season. The only thing we take a gamble in is how much better/worse a new GM and or/coach would be should we get rid of RC and PG.

16. montreal ace says:

This team has the tools to turn things around, and I expect a different result next year. There is no point it pointing out anything positive, but we have good pieces in place to move forward.

17. boing007 says:

The JM System ruined Kostitysn. RC claims to be an admirer of JM’s System. Now he’s screwing up all the young players. Eller was doing fine three weeks ago playing center. LeBlanc looked promising as well. What happened? Phooey!

Richard R

18. twilighthours says:

Man I could really go for a smartdog 5 questions right about now

19. habstrinifan says:

I am on the bandwagon.. I dont care who the f*((&*^ cusse sme out! The Piere McGuire bandwagon.

Get Pierre in as GM tonight! Then have him place a call to Larry Robinson.

Pierre will be set for tomorrow. Scoff al you want. Call him a blowhard.. I once thought so too. But he has all the contacts, all the stats, all the comparisons. He knows the GMS and how they think. And while he is pompous and self-important he is not stubborn or vain to the point where he wont seek advice and TAKE advice.

This team needs a GM with huge knowledge and contacts and work habits. One who knows Montreal too. One who knows the importance of this team. Pierre is all that.

There will be no drama that there might be with Roy. There will be a front office taht is n the job 24/7.

Pierre McGuire … and his coach Larry Robinson.

I am on the bandwagon. Never thought I would be but it is the best move. No other bilingual candidate has Pierre’s CV.

Think of it. Pierre will be bringinging insight gained from Scotty Bowman/Patrick/Bob Johnson etc etc. And I know Larry will be brought onboard.

20. --Habs-- says:

Gauthier has offered the NY Rangers AK and the 2012 first round draft pick for Wade Redden. This move is to fill cap space when they demote Gomez to Hamilton

21. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

Where do we start?

1. Kaberle
    2. Markov
    3. Gorges, when he should have signed him in the fall for 3 years at $2.5MM, he waited for his value to increase and signed him mid year instead at $4mm. Love Gorges, but come on -even he knows he got a sweetheart deal.
    4. Bourque — soft, adequate and lengthy contract. Cammy should have generated more in return if he waited a couple of weeks.
    5. Moore
    6. Trades draft picks

Our GM is so bad…..let the season end already and FIRE GAUTHIER.

22. Cal says:

Yet another bad game. Ho-hum.
    3rd worst team in the league and counting.

23. aj says:

If only Molson can put an ad to a Newspaper wanting for a GM and Coach.

24. alwayssunny says:

Seeing Bob’s head on the jumbotron had to be scary for our players. He looked like he was back and he was takin names and some asses are going to be kicked. Instant credibilty. Remember when he took over as coach? the team started winning instantly. Then they lost their last 8 games including a 4 game sweep to the Bruins but these things happen.

25. Marc10 says:

That was painful. Not the weakest team we’ve ever had, but certainly the one with the least heart.

Can’t wait for the great sell off. I hope we get a nice return for our enigmatic Belorussian. Adios Amigo!

26. FuzE_gus says:

Not that we have a leg to stand on bashing the Leafs at this juncture…but…when the Leafs were doing THIS bad they already traded away their #1 pick….If you’re going to miss the playoffs might as well do what the Habs are doing and grab a blue chipper. That’s one piece that has eluded this team for years.

Can you imagine Gauthier actually trading the pick? I would turn over cars in Montreal on principle! ;-)

With Regards from FuzE_gus

27. vander10 says:

Well season done oh well please ease our pain will a quality trade that as a fan deserves some hope not the as is routine. We need action not the Toronto crap if we put anyone on the ice we’ll sell out anyway give us players like cole and George’s please !!!!!!!!! That’s all this fan asks

28. mowen62 says:

Begin with the end in mind.

A saying that I believe is necessary when starting any project. And let’s face it: rebuilding this team is a BIG project. I hope that whoever is hired as GM and coach (hopefully GM is hired first) lays out a vision and an identity for the team. Is the team going to be known as a strong, tough team that is difficult to play against or will it be a team that uses skills and speed? Historically, the Habs were known as a skilled, speedy team and I have no problem continuing in that direction. But the team needs to have those types of players, not a motley crew of sizes and skills. And that I think was the problem with Gainey’s rebuild in 2009. He seemed to get rid of and let go players for the sake of letting players go. And he signed players, I think, without necessarily a vision or identity the team. By all means, be known around the league as a speedy, skilled team but you have to have players who complement that image.

First step: Hire a GM who has a vision for the team.
    Second step: Rebuild the team in that image. Only add personnel that complement the image/vision. Get rid of ones that don’t.

Begin with the end in mind.

• LA Loyalist says:

Amen.

The only points I would expand on are that the ages of our stars match the PK/Price/MaxPax window of prime time and that the mix of wily vets and good rookies is balanced.

That and a Coach who speaks fluent Gaelic and we are GOOD!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“let’s face it”:
      Phrases like “let’s face it”, or “have to admit” are pleas to the reader accept a conclusion notwithstanding the weakness, unsoundness, or complete absence of an argument.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

29. alfieturcotte says:

Perhaps the Habs are cursed by the Bell Center?

30. Trisomy 21 says:

How can they even turn this shizz around over the summer? I have a hard time seeing young guys like DD and Eller pushing themselves to grow their skills or size. Hopefully i’m just being a pessimist.

31. Captain aHab says:

If we can’t get rid of Kaberle, he needs to be the 7th D next year….it’ll be expensive but whatever. Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin…then get two big no-nonsense D-Men to replace Diaz and Weber. No need for them to be all-stars…we need slightly better than Paul Mara.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

• LA Loyalist says:

We need Rick Green and Craig Ludwig. Up front we need Bobby Smith and Brian Skrudland and Guy Carbonneau.

Fire up the cloning machine, people. We have work to do!

32. --Habs-- says:

Rumors: Gauthier will probably trade away the first choice for Knuble

33. Awful display from the Habs. I am trying to rack my brains to see what positive could come out of this version of the Montreal Canadiens.

I would hope Mr Molson, Gauthier and Gainey make one or two major moves by tomorrow – at this point anything would be a improvement.

Its safe to say RC would be gone so why should he care anymore.

On the positive, I found a video that some of you may like, another tribune of Gary Carter….

PS: Any one know what the official elimination percentage is for the Habs

34. Pucknut says:

This league is run by the suits. Bettman is the head of the suits. 80% of the teans are in the U.S. Bettman only uses the Canadian teams’ revenue to subsidize the majority of the weak U.S. markets.

Since he controls every detail of the NHL; from rules to enforcing them, I don’t forsee any Canadian team winning the Cup for some time to come.

When he took over in 1993, his mandate was to sell hockey to the US market. The US concencus was “why bother watching the NHL…the Canadiens always win anyway”

I believe he will do everything in his power to help continue this present trend

• powdered toastmann says:

Vancouver will have something to say about that this year. Fact of the matter is that no team can always overcome poor officiating decisions, however, if a team takes liberties (physically) with another, the victimized team should be able to defend itself and at the same time take whatever action is necessary as a deterrent to further abuse. A team’s pride is at stake, and running to the league or officials with tears in their eyes is not an option. If a team is constructed such that it is unable, or unwilling to defend itself, it should not expect help on every occasion from the league/refs

• Pucknut says:

I aggree that the Habs need to have 1 nuclear deterent(heavyweight). I like John Scott(Chicago) to go along with White (light/middleweight), Moen(middle/heavy)

35. Kimberly2u says:

If I was Cole I’d get the hell out of here but he will not quit on this team as banged up as he is

36. FlyingFrenchie says:

Until we get rid of this owner, nothing is going to change!

37. duffy says:

I imagine Cammaleri is getting quite a laugh about this .

38. Captain aHab says:

Is there any point in bringing back Markov before next season?

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

39. alwayssunny says:

I’ve never been one to criticize our team or staff, but I’ll admit, I did raise an eyebrow when I saw Budaj dressed for arguably our biggest game of the year. So easy to second guess though.

40. BLACK ICE says:

How in the blue hell can anyone fell sorry for these millionares? You think that they are feeling sorry for those poor fans making 30 – 40 k a year?

41. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Next year fellas.

Any consolation in the fact that they had legit chances to win maybe 11 more games then they did, assuming a more seasoned team might would have held on to half of those 22 leads?

______________________________________________________
    Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

42. aj says:

So much for that Florida Sunshine.

Well, let’s brace ourselves for tomorrow.

I believe the ones that are not coming back here in Montreal are:
    Andrei Kostitsyn
    Chris Campoli

43. dre1744 says:

Tanko for Grigorenko!!!!!!

44. disgustedhabsfan says:

Dreadful display. Team should be ashamed. Where’s my brown paper bag?

45. otter649 says:

Leafs now 5 points out from the playoffs…

46. Kimberly2u says:

Is there an Oscar for the worst NHL team?

47. CranbrookEd says:

Certainly too many players without the heart to succeed . . . and even though this observation may not be too popular, I am including Pacioretty who for too many games is a non-entity . . . granted he is not alone, but this guy needs to show more determination . . . he could of at least grabbed someone when Cole was being abused and again when PK was grabbed from behind . . . no he is not alone, but he does float too often . . . have a look at the comments in the blog from today’s game, Pacioretty’s name never appears . . . too many players without desire . . . sums up the season . . .

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

48. RetroMikey says:

dark seasons of gloom and misery are coming folks for our club….better get used to it!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

49. ooder says:

i switched from this trash to sledge hockey.. canada vs usa
    now those guys are beasts! no matter what life dealt them they are out there playing the sport they love
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

50. C-Sword says:

I can’t wait to see Yakupov or Grigorenko in a Habs jersey next season!

51. mrhabby says:

oscars starting soon.

52. Habsbill24 says:

Another pathetic effort. Since they were going to make their big playoff push they have gone 1-6. Molson, Gauthier and Gainey, great job of building a team we can all be proud of. Way to go.
    Thankfully spring training games start March 2nd, so it is on to baseball. Not going to waste anymore time watching this group who are obviously just mailing it in.

53. smiler2729 says:

Boone, why bother with an About Last Night? Give yourself a break and just skip it, that says all there needs to be said about the Habs, this game and the whole season…

We’ll understand.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

54. duffy says:

This team stinks worse than a dozen dead skunks at a garden party.

55. slapshot777 says:

I second that. I think this may be the worst team in Canadiens history. Maybe the Habs want to start a trend of losing now,that they have a rich history of winning. They want to even things out.

Molson, better have a game plan because if not he is going to lose a lot of money in the next few years. Crap teams with no playoffs equals millions of dollars lost. Maybe he is going for revenue sharing. He figures this is the only way to get someone else’s money for a change instead of giving it away.

56. JF says:

This is absolutely the worst Habs team I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I can stand to watch them anymore this season. They literally make me sick.

57. Danno says:

Watching the Habs is like a crap sandwich and every game is another bite

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

58. Kimberly2u says:

Glad to see all the big guys there to see what has become of this team.,.it is beyond sad

59. Pucknut says:

This team needs more guys who hate losing more than counting their money

60. Captain aHab says:

Woah, woah…wait a minute we LOST? How in blazes did that happen?

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

61. 1973Habs says:

I miss the good old days of Jacques Martin

62. bluenosehab says:

Fail for Nail!

63. temekuhabs says:

As everybody seen, the Broons gooned, hacked and slashed their way to the Cup last year, I’m not a big fan of that style (remember Philly of the 70’s and their Cup wins??) in Dryden’s fabulous book, Steve Shutt recounts on how players from other teams were congratulating him for beating Philly to win the Cup. Fearing the League would turn into Slapshot if the Flyers had beaten the Canadiens. Hope it don’t go that way again goon hockey over speed and skill

64. longtimehabsfan says:

In today’s game how do you lose 22 games when you have a lead?

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

• smiler2729 says:

Moo point?

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• longtimehabsfan says:

It’s from a Friends episode. Joey’s moo point. Youtube it. You’ll love it.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

• RGM says:

That’s easy. You deploy the Martin-Cunneyworth System.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

65. Corson27 says:

Let’s see an early cancelation of Rogers rip off package just to watch RDS saves me?

66. Bill says:

Gotta say that I love the Habs, and I actually feel sorry for them. I know it’s stupid to feel sorry for millionaire athletes who likely would be slaving away at jobs like us if they weren’t getting rich playing a kids’ game … but I feel bad anyway.

I think we should all go on twitter and send them positive messages. No use dumping on your team when they are sucking this bad.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Bill I am with you. I do feel for the players. But man oh man management deserves not one iota of sympathy… if they had all acted with the best interests of the club at heart in summer this would not have happened.

• Bill says:

Even them … like, what could they have done? I agreed with signing Markov. Cole was a great pick-up. They could have sent Gomez to Hamilton … but I think they did the honourable thing in giving him one more shot.

Not sure how it could have gone down differently, really.

Full Breezer 4 Life

67. Rainrocket16 says:

Goodbye AK, Goodbye Kaberle, Goodbye Weber! and Good bye Gauthier!!

68. Rainrocket16 says:

worst Habs team of my lifetime!

69. Rad says:

After a game like tonight, how can any NHL player want to put on a Canadiens jersey?

70. smiler2729 says:

Buh-bye AK

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

71. podbay says:

Another loss forthcoming. Have to say I disagree with bringing Patrick Roy back into the Habs’ fold. I don’t think he would bring anything worthwhile to the table, frankly. I think there’s historic bad blood that remains. I hope, if Cunneyworth isn’t kept on, that they go with new, fresh eyes all around, for GM and coach.

• habstrinifan says:

If Cunneyworth is kept on? He has to go to.. it’s beyond him.

• Bill says:

I think Roy would be a disaster. Junior coaches are God to their players. A junior coach deals with amateurs, young kids, and their whole future depends on pleasing him.

Roy is known as a domineering guy, and that act won’t fly with pros. He’d lose the room in a month. I can’t imagine guys like Cole or Gorges taking crap. And what about mild-mannered “everybody chill” Carey Price? How would he get along with his hot-headed, HOF former-goalie coach?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Strummer says:

Roy ultimately could be a good coach.
        He was (is) a no -nonsense guy, willing to drop the gloves for a team mate (Pepe Lemieux) tell an idiotic coach and GM the truth (Corey/Trembley).
        He was the most dominant player at his position for a generation and won 3 Cups 2 Conn Smythes.

How could any NHLer not respect that?

I think he just needs a year or 2 as an assistant first.

Oh- and I think he may speak French

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
        -Dennis Miller

72. Pucknut says:

Atta boy Subban. This team needs a little more fire in its belly

73. Storm Man says:

Love it the DJ rubs it in our face with that song…… Molson sell the team to someone who cares about hockey.

74. Rad says:

Subban for all his faults, has COURAGE. He battles till the bitter end.

75. habstrinifan says:

Poster Rad:
    “FOR THE RECORD: no more goals after Gudbranson’s pasting of Ryan White at the end of the 1st. Not even any real good scoring chances really. 3 shots on goal in the 2nd. Overwhelming dominance in the 3rd, punctuated by a stick in the ribs of Assistant Captain and Hab Leader Erik Cole, doubling him over in pain….followed by a 2nd Panther giving him a shove as Erik skated to the Canadien bench, doubled over in pain.”

Poster Dr Rex:
    This is one reason, clearly not the biggest reason:

Moi: Y es it wa sthe biggest reason. Habs were outplaying and outworking Florida to that point. That sequenced brought Florida to life and we had no aggressive push back… not faulting most of the players.. they just dont have the ammunition.