Liveblog: Canadiens rally late but lose road trip opener 5-4

Iginla scores

Make that six losses in a row in Calgary.
The Canadiens have not won here since January, 2002.
They did make it interesting, rallying from a 5-2 deficit to turn the game into a nail-biter.
But in the end, it was another L in the season from Hell.

1. showey47 says:

ah man,the shit show that is the 11-12 season can’t end soon enough.

2. ThirtyThree says:

It sucks and tough to accept, but once you do, you’ll be okay with the HABS loosing. No playoffs, so might as well get the highest pick possible.

As for “cleaning house,” it should happen soon after the season ends. Before then, there’s no reason to complain.

As for complaining about Price, it doesn’t make much sense. Even if you dislike him for whatever reason, it seems obvious that he is not the main problem with this team.

3. gmd says:

yay wings! oh oops

4. sp00k says:

oh my, steady on there habs fans…

5. Bill says:

Hahaha!

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. Frank2468 says:

Boone give it up fast forward to the end of the third period Habs lose again. So what else is new, this way you can get to bed early and be refreshed for tomorrow’s coaching explaination as to what happened and what postives we can take out of last nights game! LOL

7. Duracell3 says:

mmm… bad team remains bad.

8. CHicoHab says:

I rest my case…………..

“take your time and hurry up”

9. Habbu says:

I’m pretending that I don’t care but I am really throwing up inside

• Frank2468 says:

I know what you mean Habbu I try not to care either and think of the draft, but every goal is a kick you know where. I know the Habs are 28th but for god sakes they don’t have to be 30th to get in to the frigin lottery, could someone please tell them that for christ sakes???????

10. Rob D says:

I thnk it’s hard to fathom things about anyone at this point in the year. They are playing out the string, they got one coach fired and are playing for the proverbial dead duck and for a GM who is also toast. The shakeup is coming and they all know it. Some people would say all the more reason to play hard to show them what you have for next year. But I really believe this team is broken and leaderless at this point (Gionta, Gill were lynchpins). I am not giving them a full pass but I don’t think we should say, dump Eller because he’s totally flustered and frustrated. He’s a good young talent and part of the future. And next year, the future arrives with a young team who will be starting over, hopefully with actual NHL talent this time.

11. RockinRey says:

And the blogger bails the game is so bad!

12. sp00k says:

Gotta love 72. Even on the pk he gives 100%.

13. nova scotia vees says:

Please, please, please….let Price sign with some other team. I despise his goal-tending. Let’s Iginla walk-out and doesn’t even TRY to poke check…then goes wandering out of position as Iginla scores again….A great goalie keeps his team in the game. I don’t believe that most of his teammates love him, no matter what Gomez says. Maybe he loves him because they both suck.

14. kerrgte says:

I pity poor Boone having to watch and report on this ‘dreck on ice’.

I can barely tune in for 5 minutes of the disgraceful performance of this rag-tag team. It must be particularly painful for some of the talented players having to be humiliated like this.

So many changes are needed thruout. A management clean-out; a major contracts review and buyouts; where to start.

A very poor management did this to a legendary franchise.

15. Habbu says:

Josh is pissed; Carey is pissed; I’m pissed; we’re all pissed

16. stevieray says:

…rock bottom . Just disgusting !

17. Frank2468 says:

Don’t know about the rest of you but I turned this crap off. This team isn’t good for anyone’s Karma or Chi. They just suck the entire energy and life out of a fan. Why wait for the end of the season, clean house now!? Please hire a new GM for god sakes I don’t think PG should be and I hope he doesn’t have a hand in the picking of the Habs draft choice in June. This organization needs a major cleaning from GM to scouts to coaching staff and dead weight players. I don’t think Molson would hold on to skunkie beer so why hold on to a skunkie team and management? God now I really understand what Laffs fans go through. I understand the makers of Zolft Prozac and Cymbalta are leaf fans and they have a great customer base for their product in Ontario.

18. Habbu says:

PG will be gone within 48 hours of the end of this miserable season.

19. Un Canadien errant says:

If a genie appeared and offered three wishes to us, in the form of former Canadiens at the height of their powers, would we wish for Ken Dryden, or would we feel that Carey Price is not a problem but a strength on the team, and would we ask for Guy Lafleur, Jean Béliveau and Larry Robinson? Because those are the holes on the team that need improvement?

Carey is not the problem with this team. Talent and depth at forward and defence is.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

20. nickster13 says:

The Season is a wash everyone! Don’t take players performances so seriously. Players are dejected, have nothing to play for and are just tired of the circus. Don’t blame Price or Eller or Subban if they look weak, they are young and talented and care more than the older paycheck guys, and have done their part this year and are tired. Its a wash! Just ride it out…

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

21. slapshot777 says:

Been reading a lot of posts in here and this is what I don’t understand. I read where we should just unload everyone and go for high picks and good young talent.

We are bitching now about how bad we are and so you would be willing to have three to five more years of the same. Then these same people say hire a real good experienced GM.

Again these are the same people who will then come out with a brain cramp and also want a French speaking coach and GM.

So, anyone care to clarify for me as to what we actually want. Is it a suck fest we want or is it a real GM and coach or a French speaking figure head at these same positions and continue on down the road of mediocre

22. Propwash says:

People here can blame Price all they want, it amounts to a hill of beans. The real issue is the D corps can’t get it done. No goalie in this league would have any chance of success behind those guys.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

So Ovi gave the linesman a shove tonight, frustrated ya think?

24. EricInStL says:

Way to go Columbus, 3 in a row…. Win Win Win….

25. habstrinifan says:

I gotta hit the sack.. this is two teams seeing who can out-tank the other without their coaches knowing.

26. ProHabs says:

No kidding. After Eller got that 4 goal game, I thougth that was his breakout. Seems to have been his breakdown.

Just got in and didn’t see the first 2 periods. How does Markov look out there.

27. Habbu says:

Lars Eller has really regressed over this last month. I thought he was really coming on; but alas now appears to be playing really stupid like.

28. manu07 says:

Price and Subban for Zach Parise. And Roy comes out of retirement to play goalie….

29. Bill says:

Two kinds of HIO dumbasses:

1) Guys who blame Price for every goal, even when the team is being outshot 2-1 and pucks are bouncing off his D-men’s legs

2) Guys who wring their hands over how upset Price must be to be on a bad team and say that he should demand a trade, because he is clearly too good for this team.

I mean, there are other kinds, but those are the main ones tonight!

Full Breezer 4 Life

30. habs17 says:

if we suck, we suck, if we draft first, we draft first, if we can pick Yukapov, we’ll pick Yukapv and well make the playoffs next year

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• nickster13 says:

If you can suck, you can suck
      If you can’t skate, you can’t skate
      If you can lose, you can lose
      If you can’t score, you can’t score
      Let’s stop this prejudice against Habs losing, It will bring us a good draft pick.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

31. danhabsfan says:

Amazing how easy it is to blame Price… without holding the D accountable and the fact that this offense is horrible.
    Price has been the bright spot of this team along with about 6 other players… the rest of this team needs a re-haul.

32. Xkhann says:

I think if I heard this right a few days ago….2nd worst team in Oilers have best Powerplay and 3rd worst team a la Us are best Penaltykill…is special teams play no longer relevant, is just an added boost? Especially last springs champs’ poor PP?

33. Habbu says:

I wish Celine would buy the Habs.

34. roman62 says:

Looks like Price doesn’t give a ‘puck’ anymore… He’s plain horrible… What do you expect from a team managed by the Three Stooges and coached by Dumb and Dumber….

35. Un Canadien errant says:

For all you Eastern seaboard dwellers, tonight will serve as demonstration of what Jarome Iginla has been doing his whole career. Or maybe it’s just that the Canadiens’ defence isn’t so dogged these last few games for some reason.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

36. slapshot777 says:

Looking for any one particular player to pin this season on would have a hate for that player. This has been a collective team cluster f..k.

If PG comes back next year, Molson needs to stripped,tarred and feathered and made to run through the streets on Montreal.

37. CHicoHab says:

We don’t score enough I admit..buy in my opinion the jury is still out on Price……cant see him ever getting any better or any worse. it is what it is.

“take your time and hurry up”

38. habs001 says:

Good chance oilers and canucks hit 7 goals vs habs..it will be very ugly the next two games…

39. manu07 says:

I heard today while watchig NFL network that Manning may be going to Miami, Washington or Arizona.

40. jedimyrmidon says:

The D is just lazing around out there. Sure, Price kind of over-skated, but he doesn’t do that often. Iginla pretty much had the whole back of the rink to himself.

41. EricInStL says:

Hey Mike can you inform us on the gas prices in Calgary ?

42. jedimyrmidon says:

Facepalm… Oh well. Doesn’t matter much.

43. manu07 says:

Honestly, if I were Price I would ask for a trade. Maybe that’s why no deal has been signed. Who wants to be on a rebuilding team. He may be better off going to a team that is playoff bound

• duffy says:

In case you have not heard the trade deadline has come and gone. Price is not going anywere.

• Desi says:

Watching the Habs give up 18 shots in the first period to mighty Calgary and play even worse in the 2nd period, I have to wonder: When does this team really have a chance to become relevant again?

Next year? 2014? 2015?

Nothing I see on the ice at ANY position leads me to believe that the Habs have anywhere near the parts they need to be competitive. Sure, we have a half-decent goalie. A couple decent forwards. One or two decent d-men. But no stars. Not a one. And no real signs of any players with the potential to become stars.

So the question is: what good does it do to pay a lot of $$ to keep ANYONE over the next couple years?

Should we not just trade our better older players — like Pleks, Cole, Gionta and if we can, Markov — while we can get good young talent or high draft picks for them?

Should we not trade Price, rather than pay him a fortune, while his value is still high? If we don’t, we’ll be paying beaucoup bucks over the next couple years to have him backstop a team that is going to continue to give up 18 shots a period! Why would he want that? Why would WE want that?

We know we’re going to be stuck paying money to Gomez and Kaberle for a while. Why should we pretend that we can put together a winning team with them — and other useless dolts like Bourque — gobbling up our resources? Those bozos will help us get to the cap floor, but when their untradable contracts are up — blow ‘em up!

If I were M. Molson, I would hold the biggest fire sale you’ve ever seen this summer, scoop up the AHL’s most promising young players, and OWN the first round of the draft. Get the No. 1 pick. The No. 2 pick. The No. 3 pick. And let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Keep a couple under-25 players (as long as their contracts are cheap!) — Max-Pac, Subban, Emelin, Eller, White, maybe Desharnais. But hire a good GM, ditch the rest of this group of bums, and start a REAL rebuilding.

I’m sick and tired of watching this pathetic excuse for a hockey team keep trying to stop their ship from sinking by patching up the leaky hull with mediocre veterans that no other team wants. Trade anybody that’s tradable, and let a real rebuilding begin. I’d rather root for a bunch of young guys who’ll play with fire in their hearts, guys who have at least some future potential, than continue to root for this toxic troupe of lazy losers.

Enough is enough. It’s fire sale time. I’ll bring the blowtorch, Mr. Molson.

• danhabsfan says:

Some ideas I like… others I don’t.
        There are some good players her (few) and they are the only good ones. The best ideas is changing the management team and getting a proven NHL coach who has won. Who cares if he doesn’t speak English or French… can he win?

44. RockinRey says:

What a soft soft team. They need a couple of D studs and a big centerman in the off season.

45. Bertuzzi says:

I’m not gonna pin this season on any one player, but Price is always good for one or two softies.

46. habs17 says:

Habs should Sign Peyton Manning to be our goalie

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

47. JIMVINNY says:

What I want to know is why he’s still playing so much. Budaj should be playing every third game.

48. alwayssunny says:

One banana, two banana, three banana four.

okay, so I think I will read about our 5-4 win in the shootout tomorrow.

50. CHicoHab says:

Price looked like the girl in the Exorcist on that one……….

“take your time and hurry up”

51. mb says:

Meh. Nice cover on Iginla.

52. manu07 says:

Oh wow, now instead of 5.5. I say 5million!

53. habsfaninboston says:

Price out of position on that one.
    Edit: Off Gorges’ leg.

54. CHicoHab says:

thx eller

“take your time and hurry up”

55. JIMVINNY says:

What a dive by Smith. he felt Eller touch him, and just fell over.

56. danhabsfan says:

Stupid move by Eller

That was a fast makeup call.

58. habs001 says:

Has anyone seen any offensive abilities from blake g in any game so far….if nokia makes this team than 100s of players from pro leagues in europe can make this team…

59. habsfan0 says:

Celine Dion confirmed as new owner of Schwartz’s.

Phew.

“My Smoked Meat Sandwich will Go On.”

60. kholdstare says:

That last sequence with gorges icing it was as bad a play as I have ever seen. The coach should be going Nuclear.

61. JayK-47 says:

If teams could decline penalties, they would if it kept Kaberle on the ice.
    [reworded]

62. Habbu says:

Pleks is history once Gallagher is here

63. szthecatman says:

Kaberle is sooooooooo SOFT! How was this guy ever considered good? I know hes an offensive d-man and all but hes terrible in our zone and he has NO shot! Maybe he should grow back the unibrow… Maybe that would bring him back to his good ol’ days?

64. manu07 says:

Any news on if Habs still have an offer on the table for Price at 7 million? I hope that amount is dropping daily! I like Price, but It would be a giant error to sign him to 7 million or a long term deal. I say 5.5 for 6 years max and even that is pushing it.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d like to see one more 4-6 year contract around 4.5-6 per. The he will still be in his prime when that deal expires, and can “Hit a Homerun” with his next deal.

65. zorro says:

What kind of a poll question is that? Have you heard Burke lately? Or the recent signing?

66. Ghosts of the Forum says:

@habspespective – they know how to spell his name though. Despite the language divide.

I am liking that 2nd round pick we got from Calgary next season more and more.

68. durocher says:

Pleks for Huberdeau. Discuss.

69. JIMVINNY says:

There were 8 flames on the ice there. If JM were coaching the flames, that gets called for sure.

70. danhabsfan says:

The Boys need to earn anymore goals… no more gifts from Kipper

71. ffenliv says:

I’m usually quite pro-referee, but what the hell has to happen for DD to get a call down there?

72. Adidess says:

On the bright side, the rock-solid PK didn’t allow any shots (green font)

73. habbernack says:

too deep in the blue

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

74. Bill says: