Liveblog: Another blown lead

Prudential-Center

New Jersey owned the third period, scoring three unanswered goals to win a game the Canadiens had led 3-1.
The loss dropped the Canadiens 12 points out of the final playoff spot.
It just ain’t gonna happen.

Michael Blunden is shown in the pic taking a vicious hit from behind by Elias. Blunden did not return.

MORNING SKATE AUDIO: Louis Leblanc | Randy Cunneyworth | Dainius Zubrus | Peter DeBoer

1. Rainrocket16 says:

Screw it…… Let’s Go GIANTS!!

2. Rickly33 says:

Pleks, suban, campoli, gill, webber, darsh for Crosby make it happen PG I know you look at this lol

3. habs178 says:

Kholdstare I’m totally with you. Through thick and thin dude….

4. mike3131 says:

SELL SELL SELL! TANK TANK TANK!

No but on a serious note, what if we can get another top-10 pick so we can draft Grigorenko AND Galchenyuk?

5. temekuhabs says:

This might be the worst team since the 2000-01 team ( think Juha Lind, Patrick Poulin, Patrick Traverse, Craig Darby.. Ouch )

6. manu07 says:

If I were a Habs team member I would pretend I was hurt. What’s the point of even showing up for these games.

It all started when they got rid off MAB.

8. aj says:

Moen, Campoli, Gill. These are the players possibly for sale. Who wants them on other teams and what do we get in return?

If the Ducks want them, fine. Give us a Corey Perry or a Bobby Ryan. That would boost our lineup for next season.

If the Blackhawks want them, alright. Give us Dave Bolland or Viktor Stalberg.

In any case, before we say bye bye to Gauthier, at least we’ll give him one last opportunity to make some good moves (if they’re going to be good) when this deadline comes. After Feb 27, Molson SHOULD boot him out for good!

• kholdstare says:

Moen, Campoli, Gill for Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan. It is so crazy I cant believe you actually wrote it.

When you were growing up did your parents teach you the value of things? A bag of chips doesnt cost a quarter anymore you know that right.

• scavanau says:

Moen is one of our only performers this season. And isn’t afraid to lay down the law. Prior to Bourque, he was the only one.

• stevieray says:

Moen,Gill and Campoli are the least of our problems…….Look at Philly ..they got rid of Richards and Carter…their 2 BIG guns ..and they are doing just fine …some maybe it would,’t be a bad idea to dangle Price/Subban …..PK to me is a huge distraction to this team …

9. kholdstare says:

Wow lots of jumpers. Yes the team is epically brutal this year, but suffering with them is what makes the moments of victory even sweeter.

If you can just walk away at this point, make sure you dont come back and say “been a habs fan since…” Fair weathered fans are the worst.

10. manu07 says:

The season is over. Get new management and FAIL FOR NAIL.

• aj says:

Just by the performance of this team, Molson I believe is already doing that. I’m not going to say sit back, relax, and enjoy watching our Habs being beaten by every team.

Since their Viewer Satisfaction is basically at an all time low right now. We might as well wait for the chips to fall down and hopefully, a robust and very effective management and coaching staff will be able to be made before the next season starts.

I say to Geoff Molson, let the scouting begin!

11. habs17 says:

as much as its not his fault because no coach could help us randy cunneyworth is not a good coach even though i like the guy
    I support Scott Gomez

12. duffy says:

Cammi was right ,these guys are a bunch of losers.

The refs and the rest of the league are going to make mockery of Habs unless Habs start winning games and become an NHL team again. Until then, anyone will piss on them and they will have bite or push back. Thanks Gainey for creating this disaster and Gauthier kept the torch burning. Losers.

14. Rickly33 says:

Always go Habs, I’m trying to figure out why everyone thinks suban is a superstar, he had a descent hit, “1″ I said it before, I played junior and it I argued with my coach, I would have sat 5…. His ego is bigger than the team, I don’t know why the folks don’t see it… Remember what I’m saying, cause one I’ll say I told you so. I was right on cammi, we have to weed cancer.

15. piper says:

pretty sure it will be done tonight or tomorrow. need to get rid of gauthier and let new gm start the rebuild. he’ll have his work cut out for him with some of those gainey and gauthier contracts.

16. scavanau says:

I’m in this for the beer and chicks.

17. solomio says:

I’m just sick & tired of watching this team losing.And everytime I look up to see them losing I see 2 players, Subban and Price.
    Habs don;t need a super star goaler, they just need a good & consistent goaler and indeed Subban can be replaced by a good / dependable defenceman. Seeing as apparently these 2 guys are viewed as future superstars Habs should be able to get what they need in return as well as replacements for those aforementioned guys.
    It’s a start.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Laramy87 says:

Sure glad you are not the Habs GM

• habs17 says:

yes this guy is right trade Price P.K and Emilin and Pacioretty

I support Scott Gomez

• solomio says:

No I’d be keeping Emelin & Maxpac.

• estranged hab says:

o yeah should we pick up wade redden to? how about resign Kovalev for north of 6 million? yeah buddy! with your plan we would go another 18 atleast years without a playoff performance. ever heard of the sophomore slump? yeah thats what happens to young players. o and should i even mention that the kid is playing top line mins with virtually no support? christ man and trade Price? what are you reading stuff from 3 years ago? the kid was a flipping all star WITH NO DEFENSE SUPPORT. i honestly cant believe i have to explain this stuff to you. ur as smart as a leafs fan

• solomio says:

You’re digging the moron hole you’re in deeper

• estranged hab says:

ok give me 3 good reasons why we should trade our two all star players. for who? how could that make our team any better? o and also all my other comments about trades were all sarcasm…just incase you could tell

18. habs17 says:

WHOOOOOOOOO LAST PLACE IS ALMOST OURS
    I support Scott Gomez

19. Laramy87 says:

Im assuming many of you have not played goalie before. The only goal you can fault price on is the first one.

Second goal – kicked in by Clarkson
    Third goal – deflected last minute by our own d-man.
    4th goal – 1. was a hooking call 2.Kovalchuk mis-fired a shot and deflected to a Praise for a wide open net.

Cannot fault Price, play net guys before you crucify price here.

Chris Lee is the most inept ref in the league. One calls that “high-stick” on Cole, which i have never seen called in my life and Devils score. Then it turns around and non-call on Cole and it ends up in the net.

I know the season is over for the Habs, but if i were Cole or Cunneyworth risk the fine and call out the Refs, it was simply atrocious tonight and led directly to 2 devil goals

20. habsfaninboston says:

Two weekend matinees coming up. I’ll be sure not to make any weekend plans. ;)

21. JF says:

I don’t think I’m going to waste any more time watching the team this season. It is too painful and too infuriating. When Price stands on his head, the rest of the team plays like crap. When they play quite well and actually score a few goals, Price is weak. This was a perfectly winnable game, a game we should have won – at least the tenth this year that we should have won and found a way to lose. It just makes me sick. As for Cunneyworth, the fact that he has been in charge of the powerplay all season is enough to damn him.

22. matt jordan says:

The NYI’s blueline is a combined minus 60, and was assembled on the cheap by a career backup goalie, and yet the Islanders are ahead of the Canadiens in the standings.

Nice blueline PG

23. RetroMikey says:

We need to trade everyone whose willing to give us prospects and draft picks to bring our once proud franchise back to where they should be.
    This club we have is pathetic,,,dark years are coming. I predicted this 2 seasons ago and am standing pat to where this club is heading.
    Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

24. Kimberly2u says:

I have officially watched my last game.,.gonna miss you guys

25. manu07 says:

I think McGuire would do a good job as GM as well. Let’s be honest, can’t be worst then PG. the guy has no clue.

26. Propwash says:

Pretty much sums it all up.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

27. pierre lapuck says:

The absolute worst Habs team in a decade if not more. Very few keepers.

28. MacHabFan says:

The tryouts for next year continue.

We have Cole and a lot of good young players, and our fair share of duds!

I look forward to the trade deadline, more young players next year and a coach with testicular fortitude who believes in playing an aggressive style of game.

Go Habs!

29. HABZ24 says:

how the flyin heck do we always manage to f it up. 5 straight nj goals enough blow up this team

30. Rainrocket16 says:

I was unable to watch the game tonight and something tells me that it was a good thing… Hey at least we scored tonight!

31. RGM says:

I’ve lost count. How many times have they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory this year? Completely pathetic. If they can’t be bothered to show up for 60 minutes, honestly neither can I.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

32. doogie says:

When the Canadiens got shut out of the playoffs in 1970, it was a shock to my youthful existence. All was not right with the world that summer. It was tough to take! So that’s a long time ago!

This is without question, the worst hockey team in Montreal since then or, more likely, in the history of this once proud franchise.

Do these L’Antichambre guys have anything more to say at this point?

* * * * * * *

I keep waiting for Shutt-Lafleur- Lemaire to jump over the boards!

33. Rickly33 says:

No, just pissed off…..I’ll get over it

34. matt jordan says:

I hope for four things to come out of this season:

-Canadiens win the draft lottery (good odds)
    -Pierre Gauthier is removed in every capacity from the Montreal Canadiens organization (only a matter of time)
    -Toronto misses the playoffs (They’re probably going to make it)
    -Boston does not win the Stanley Cup again (Please no, not again)

35. manu07 says:

I strongly believe that if Molson does t make a change before the. Deadline the Habs are screwed for year to come. We need a GM to come in here ASAP and start flipping kaberles contract off and Gomez among others.

36. slapshot777 says:

I don’t know why we pull the goalie. If we can’t score on a powerplay how in the hell would we score with an extra attacker.

The combination of coaching changes and stupid managing has the team confused way beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The coach doesn’t have a system for the players to follow and the GM doesn’t bring in the right players for whatever they are trying to do with this team.

Time to reset, have a game plan sort the keepers and cut bait with the others.

Molson should have a list of GMs and a list of coaches. Get them in place early as possible and form a plan going into the draft.

Then start the new season with some fresh faces and forget this nightmare of a season.

I have always been a firm believer in having a strong tandem in nets. I like Price very much, as I did and still like Halak, but he is being given too many games and too much is being put on his shoulders. 60 games, 65 max. This is just idiotic.

38. piper says:

Keep workin hard boys, we can still make it.
    LOL!!!!!

39. Rickly33 says:

Finally we may get a star, or PG trade that away too, for maybe hemsky lol

40. AH says:

We can wring our hands and gnash our teeth all we want, but at the end of the day, they’re just not a good team.

On to next year.

41. Sal says:

Rickly33. Dude, you skitzo?

42. boing007 says:

Arbitrage pouant!

Richard R

43. canadiens26 says:

I am in no way blaming the refs for this game I am just going to say this. The refs never went over to the bench to explain the non-call on Cole nor did they talk to Randy after the end of the game. They simply ran away. As if a “professional” league has officiating like this. What a joke. Bunch of cowards.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hmmm, up 3-1 …and lose 5-3 …I think The Team should go out after game and order Asian massages …if You are gonna suck during the game, why change anything after the final whistle ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

45. kholdstare says:

What a joke, Randy Cunneyworth deserves to be fired. They were up 2-0 then 3-1, pathetic. Couldnt organize a powerplay, made the same mistakes as on Tuesday, but this time he did call a timeout, wonder if he whiteboarded the cluster f!@k in our own end and the whole kaberle idiocy. But you guys like the fact he got mad at the officials for not calling hold right. Whatever, coach needs to be held accountable at some point and I dont care if he speaks portuguese.

46. realplumpcherry says:

Tied for last place in the east. Can we please finally call it a day and work towards next year? I agree with Mitch Melnick, loose PG now and bring in McGuire to clean up this mess for next season.

47. MacHabFan says:

Cunneyworth had his line-up-blender working tonight.

That was embarrassing.

Price did not look sharp tonight.

Gomez is useless … use Eller more on PP.

I still do not like PK or Diaz.

Wow … and I have tickets for Saturday. I hope for a win.

• aj says:

Do we always have to blame #31 for not being sharp tonight or are the 22 other goofballs not really playing for a win.

Man, I’m seeing this team is even prouder by losing every game.

48. Adidess says:

Know what, winning tonight wouldn’t have changed a thing in the playoff picture, guys. Let’s be realistic. They’re done.
    They scored 3 goals, I saw some good hits, so I have been somewhat entertained.
    Better if management has no excuses for not selling off everybody around 30, except Cole. Take picks, bring kids up from Hamilton, let’s start the quest for good draft picks.
    Je ne suis pas triste ce soir, je suis optimiste pour l’avenir…

49. HabFanSince72 says:

And Tampa ties it late in the 3rd against Winnipeg.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

50. Habbu says:

Shouldn’t the architect of the rebuild be here making decisions re: fire sale?

51. danhabsfan says:

Well… I guess we will have to wait for next year.
    Hopefully there is a new front office with real hockey guys, people who know what they are doing.
    we need a new look, some players have to go, just please don’t get rid of the building blocks.

52. Storm Man says:

Well time to pack and get ready for my flight to Indy to watch the super bowl. This team that molson is running is by far one of the worst in the past 19 years. G. molson here is my middle finger just for you.

53. Tank! Tank! Tank! Tank! Tank! Tank! Tank!
    Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell! Sell!
    Dump ugly contracts! Dump ugly contracts! Dump ugly contracts!

54. gumper says:

What is truly horrifying is thinking about how bad this dog and pony show is gonna get. Still more that thirty games to play, and PG is at the helm with the trade deadline bearing down on us.

55. aj says:

Crap! We can’t protect a lead. What an insult!

56. manu07 says:

Molson better hire a new GM and get this rebuild going. I’m hoping PG is gone as of tomorrow.

57. temekuhabs says:

This season can’t end soon enough.. Time to get rid of guys.. Now I know how Lafff fans feel

58. t1tan5 says:

God this team is painful to watch.

59. PureGuava says:

Cunnyworth wants to talk to Lee….like that will help.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

60. TIED FOR 15TH PLACE

WOOOOOOOOOO

61. habs17 says:

Why is every1 so mad we 1 step closer to last place WHOOOOOOOOOO lets keep losing thank u kaberle pleks and P.K
    I support Scott Gomez

62. Barts says:

Gauthier, you should be f’n ASHAMED of yourself for signing that P.O.S. Kaberle.

63. Old Bald Bird says:

What an awful team. They have no clue.

64. JasonM says:

Story of the season, Habs cannot keep a lead.

Bad asset management and terrible Referees are notable issues as well.

65. RockinRey says:

The only thing to hope for now is a complete tank and for Calgary ( and Cammi) and Toronto to miss the playoffs too!!!

Thos are my wishes!

66. manu07 says:

We are in full Tank mode I see. We uses to be fast an now I think we may be the slowest team in the league. We can’t get to one puck first.

67. SUMO says:

Thank you Kaberle for reminding us what an idiot Gauthier is for trading for your useless, overrated and over-paid ass

68. gumper says:

I’d like to say these guys aren’t on the same page, but these guys can’t even find the page. Beginning to think hiring RC was the first move in the deliberate tank.

69. The Gonk says:

We blow leads. Pretty much all the time. Boone! You can start your About Last Night column now. Everyone will understand.

70. Doooie86 says:

So wait a minute – the Devils quite clearly ice the puck, PK goes back to touch up, and no call – then the Habs dump the puck in from what looks like across the red line, and they call it icing – wow Chris Lee is an absolute piece of shit

71. temekuhabs says:

Kaberle get off the f-in ice!!

72. Mavid says:

FU Timo…loser…go cheer for someone else..bye..

73. JohnBellyful says:

You have got to be kidding. Icing.