Liveblog: Canadiens are 1-0 with Markov

AndreiMarkov

Andrei Markov is back.
He picked up an assist on P.K. Subban’s power-play goal, and the Canadiens seemed inspired by his return, skating to a 4-1 win.

Nice pivot turn by Markov

2. Bill says:

Really unfortunate sequence for Palushaj there, lol. And Habs under pressure take a penalty.

• neumann103 says:

He tried to make a fancy neutral zone passe instead of just knocking it upo the boards and then spent the next 20 seconds in a series of desperate moves trying to clean up from the turnover.

Up to that point I thought he was actually playing well

“Et le but!”

3. 123456 says:

anyone have a feed for the game?

4. zak says:

Geoffrion is an AHL’er

Hire the best regardless of language

5. zak says:

I wish they would backcheck thru the neutral zone rather than skate backwards thru the neutral zone

Hire the best regardless of language

6. EricInStL says:

Must try to stay awake…..

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Incredible give and go by Aaron Palushaj and Scott Gomez, in that Mr. Gomez actually go-ed to the net.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

8. 123456 says:

online feed for game?

9. H.Upmann says:

Something bout Gomez (and gawd knows I’ve bashed him enough on here): he had a weak shot overall

10. Un Canadien errant says:

I notice that Brad Staubitz wasn’t incapable of avoiding Roberto Luongo on that race for the puck, so we got that going for us as opposed to Milan Lucic and the Bruins.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

11. Bill says:

Wow, it feels GOOD seeing Markov out there. Instant calm on the defence. Love pairing him with Emelin too. Can’t wait for next year! Love our top four D.

12. H.Upmann says:

Wow’!!!! I haven’t been this excited in months!!!!! Even Pleks looks different skating out there!

13. Chuck says:

Welcome back, Markov.

___________________________________________________

14. Stev.R says:

Good shift by Paloosh

15. Mavid says:

wearing my brand new Markov shirt..well I have had it for over a year…so I should say my never worn Markov shirt….GO HABS GO..hearing the chants already..

16. habsfanforever7631 says:

@habs17
    “this is true, but im usually rite and we allowed to have an opinion”
    Are you that cocky? My little bro gets more things rite then you.

17. krob1000 says:

AK from SK…again

18. H.Upmann says:

7 11 is tha place to be

• Strummer says:

I was sure with Markov back it would be 8 10

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

19. Strummer says:

Anyone catch Bob Cole cheering for Kessel in the shootout of the Leaf game?

How pathetic Hockey Night in Toronto.

Time to put this dude to pasture.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. Boomer says:

Well Markov made it through the warmups without injuring himself… so far so good.

I wonder if any former Canucks scored goals today, or do only former habs score goals in this league?

Well it would be great to see a Habs win in Markovs debut!

23. kempie says:

Plex with Cole & Pacioretty? He must feel like he won the lottery.

• Strummer says:

No he had that feeling when he got the $30 million contract.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

24. Marvin says:

You know Mike, there are many of us who follow these blogs who are in Western Canada. Therefore, it’s still an early night for us and coffee is not required.

25. The Gonk says:

There’s Markov! My baby brother is here now with a bottle of Macallan 18. Happy spring forward. Good night everyone. Go Habs.

26. H.Upmann says:

MARKOV!!!!!!!! Awesome

27. jols101 says:

Wow, Claude Giroux…that was a long painfull game to watch but that shoot out move made it all worth while
    Bye the way i think Bob Cole is half blind. He hardly reacted to that goal…time to retire Mr. Cole

28. L Elle says:

The green-eyed monster rears it’s ugly head.

I actually feel sorry for the haters.

29. gmd says:

Ha ha leafs lose. Great goal by CG

30. The Gonk says:

Giroux. Geez that was out of sight. Let’s see Markov on the warm up already.

31. Bill says:

Wow. Anyone see that Giroux shoot-out goal? Sick.

32. Psycho29 says:

What a shootout goal by Giroux….

And the Laffs lose….

33. Stev.R says:

Giroux with a sick Datsyukian move

34. AndyF says:

Great game between Buffalo and Ottawa tonight. Enjoying it a lot!

Fail to Fail for Nail

35. H.Upmann says:

@Stooof: Im completely with you on this. How can any team play for an “interim” coach after the way it went down with PG and JM? Some argue we did better with JM, Im glad that faacker is gone, especially when there’s talk about him chasing Muller out of town. I never liked JM’s hiring to begin with. That to me had PG written all over it…….

• Stooof says:

Yea, that run to the ECF saved him his job. The team was brutal to watch, and even the following year when it was still brutal to watch he kept his job. His use of Gomez last year boggles my mind to this day. I don’t care how much money he is making. The fact he was played despite his production really messed with the team chemistry. When other teams had the big guns out there for the kids to look up to, ours had the gomer.

36. ZepFan2 says:

No wonder we’re losing so much.

On my Bell guide it has the Habs playing Ottawa at 7:00, then Vancouver at 10:00.

I didn’t realise we played double headers.

• punkster says:

Mine too…but it says MLS…not NHL.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

No, I’m talking CBC-Montreal (1030), not TSN.

• punkster says:

Me too, in Montreal, at around 6PM I was having trouble getting CTV and CBC and the on screen guide showed OTT-Mtl MLS on CBC at 6PM. Once the signal came through around 6:30 the on screen guide was back to normal

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

Mine is still showing it and it says NHL Mtl vs Ott at 7.

That’s weird. :lol:

• punkster says:

Weird? Not really. After all, it’s Bell.

But you’re right, my on screen guide says the same thing now.

OK, this is just tooooooo awesome.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

Phew, I thought I was having an acid flashback. :lol:

37. Bill says:

Allan Walsh also representing Radek Faksa and Ryan Murray. So there’s two more guys we don’t want drafted by the Habs.

Full Breezer 4 Life

That is a very good point Bill.

• English is not a Crime says:

Ryan Murphy was a first round draft choice of Carolina last year, he’s not draft eligible. Speak for yourself on Faksa though, rookie of the month just about every month, 6’3, 200+ lb center, breaking the rookie import scoring records. Added another 4 (2 & 2) in tonight’s game. Started the year not even on the radar, busted his butt all year to jump up as high as 4th on the rankings right now, great in his own end as well as in the offensive side of the game, plays the point on the PP because he has a pretty strong shot. Faksa’s exactly what the Habs need. (picture Plekanec with some big size to him)

38. habsfan0 says:

Carey Price looks like a young version of Johnny Cash.

However, Cash was the better goalie.

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Whatcha talking about Boone, coffee and late night? I’m just getting dinner started. You’re hanging with us on the Left Coast, give props to us Westsiders.

westSIDE!!!!

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

40. kempie says:

OMG is it game time yet?

41. AndyF says:

You know, the season’s over and all but … be that as it may, the state of Markov’s knee in the remaining games of the season may very well determine the fate of this entire team for many years to come.

Tonight’s game is *big*.

Fail to Fail for Nail

42. Bill says:

So according to the Globe and Mail, the Leafs are mad at HNIC because Don Cherry said something critical about Burke/Wilson, and the other Canadian teams are mad because HNIC is basically the Leafs Show.

How come no-one is mad that their show sucks so bad? Milbury … Stock … wow.

Get more intelligent commentators like Elliote Friedman. Fewer dumb-ass ex-goons like Stock and Milbury. Maybe a few former players who were actually good at hockey??

• HabsFanMTL says:

i gotta agree! oh and how they let Stock on L’antichambre, even i need a translator to understand Stock when he attemps to speak french and his useless comments , how the hell does this guy get any airtime apart from his playing days??? thank gawd team990 canned him last year what a farken relief he was just as bad on radio!!

• Mr. Biter says:

Poor Cherry. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. Good post Bill.
      BTW tonight we”ll see what happens to Staubitz for next year. If someone takes a cheap shot at Markov, How long will it take him to respond? Immeaditly or the villians next shift.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was born and raised on HNIC but seeing the shape that it is in now is deplorable.

On each show Ron McLean’s jaw is on the floor because of the level of stupidity he must stoop to when dealing with Milbury and Stock.

I cringe when watching HNIC these days because they totally embarrass the entire country, except for Grapes, every time they open their mouths.

• The Gonk says:

I can’t stand the CBC. Milbury is the worse. What does he know but running his mouth, making bad trades, beating up fans and little kids. Then there’s P.J. who can’t make a complete sentence let alone string two thoughts together. The ex-NYI goalie is okay and so is Friedman – his 30 thoughts column is a decent read at times.

• Mr. Biter says:

I also am not a fan of CBC or B Burke but last week was priceless when Mclean was intervieving Burke and every 2nd question Burke was looking skyward rolling his eyes thinking why am I here.
        Great night for Collage Basketball fans if there any on this site. Lots of conference championship games to watch before the Habs game starts.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Les Canayens says:

HNIC is like a bottom feeder team: keep losing good assets and cannot attract other top talents. Even too cheap to keep the iconic theme song.

43. 123456 says:

dont know u guys but i gotta brag a little. my little one (7) plyed in between periods in our local AHL game last night. he played goalie and made a few saves – the crowed cheered – about 5,000 – and he got on the video board. it was awesome!!!!!

future patrick roy i hope!!!!

44. habstrinifan says:

I think Ottawa may surprise in the playoffs. They have home-grown veteran leadership like Phillips, Neil, Andersen who have been there before and players like Spezza who is now comfortable with himself and a great coach and have upgraded their goalkeeping.

45. The Gonk says:

For Un Canadien errant: are you at the game tonight? If not I’m disappointed in you. Or for you/ ;)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Negative, didn’t make it tonight. A ticket didn’t fall into my lap, and I didn’t want to spend the money a scalper would demand.

Weekends are also pretty busy for me in a tourist Mecca, it’s hard to get away. Easier midweek.

I do have some friends over to watch the game, they’re Canucks fans, so it should be fun.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

46. The Gonk says:

Tough game for Andrei to make a return. It will be exciting to see him if he plays. Even if he can do 1/2 of what he was at his peak, that will be be great. One of the best 5 Hab skaters post The Flower.

EDIT: Now reading the conversation below re Markov’s talent compared to recent Habs in the last 25 years. Good points.

• AndyF says:

Curious about your top-5-since-the-Flower, The Gonk. I have 2 top-5 lists. Talent-only and complete.

Talent-only:
      - Richer
      - Larouche
      - Turgeon
      - Cammy
      - AK

Complete:
      - Markov
      - Chelios
      - Kovy
      - Roy
      - PlekyDamphousse

Fail to Fail for Nail

• The Gonk says:

I really like your list and how you made a logical split. I know my dear Guy was forced into retirement in 84 and made an inspired return with the Rangers and the Nordique. But for argument sake let’s take the 1986 Cup year and work forwards. Patrick isn’t included because he’s a goalie and would automatically top the list in IMHO. My talent quotient will be be without your split as I factor in talent and guts:

Chelios
        Carbonneau
        Markov
        Muller
        Richer

But a great topic for speculation and personal bias!

• neumann103 says:

Do you mean ranking them:
        for what they achieved/contributed as Habs?
        or
        based on their career overall but considering the pool of players who played for the Habs at some point post 1984?

The former makes more sense to me but looking at the lists there are inclusions or exclusions that don’t make sense to me one way or the other

“Et le but!”

47. topher5468 says:

AK from SK on the PP, Makes me sick

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Stooof says:

yea pretty much. these two have been victims of JM. shite coaching. I had visions of them being centered on our top line by whoever and leading us to glory. could have had them centered by anyone pretty much on any line and they would have been great. This goal on the pp no less. I would love to see aks pp total time in montreal the last 3 years. ridiculous.

• Bill says:

So predictable really.

I know I have said this way too many times, but still: Kostitsyn is a highly-skilled forward who actually uses his size to hit and make room, and he’s consistently scored 20 goals for the Habs while getting 3rd line minutes and minimal PP time. He was brutally mishandled.

Can the next Habs coach be as smart as Barry Trotz, please??

• Bertuzzi says:

Maybe. AK was always streaky and usually apathetic. Nice to see him doing well, but I doubt it will last.

• habstrinifan says:

As I posted some time last week, AK46 may give us habs fans a great deal of hurting this May/June. I hope the powers that be are learning. He is the most skilled forward we have traded away since John LeClair and may turn out to be as successful. I know we traded Richer etc but we had him for his best years.

Dont get me wrong, moving him became inevitable. But as you point out Bill it’s the why it came to that point that we have to learn from.

• Mark C says:

May turn out to be as successful has John LeClair. What? LeClair had 3 50-goal season and another 2 40-goal seasons. AK’s 27 now, and has never broken 30 goals in season. Where do you come up with these stuff?

• habstrinifan says:

OK statistically it is a wrong comparison because as you point out LeClair was so much younger when he was moved, but it is scarily possible that AK could go on to 3 or 4 of the ‘best’ years of his career.. and that would be a gut punch to habs fans. I think you get my point.

• JF says:

Agreed. He (and Sergei too) should have been on one of our top two lines. We pretty much gave Nashville the brothers K, since our return on the pair of them amounts to one second-round draft pick. In fact, for our three Belorussian players, who would account collectively for between 70 and 80 goals a year, we have that pick and Greg Pateryn.

• Bill says:

We don’t really need 70 more goals, do we? Surely Greg Pateryn can score that many?

Haha, now obviously Grabovski and SK have been replaced, and some of that offence has been recouped. But AK … this is the kind of winger we actually need! It’s almost like Montreal hasn’t been well coached or managed for a long, long time or something.

• JF says:

Almost like? Unfortunately, the Kostitsyn trade is only one instance of chronic mismangement.

• Stooof says:

when you put it that way it is pretty sad.

• Stooof says:

The one thing that irks me most is they pick up a 2nd and conditional 5th for a guy who has put up 20 goals in the last 3 season minus a 59 game season where he potted 15.. and buffalo gets their first round pick for a 3rd line center. Though gaustad has a great faceoff percentage…. guys of the like are always going for 2nd rounders. How do we let our first round pick from a few years ago that was as you said brutally mishandled go for 2nd… its beyond me. At least get a prospect wiht him or something!!!! Going to miss him, and his little bro. they were special. Not only that, all I was hearing is that he is the best team mate.

• Le Jadester says:

Yer the man Bill !
        I couldn’t agree with ya more.
        Funny because I was watchin’ the Preds game as a primer to ours…. and lo and behold…….The K-Bros ripping the wings a new one with an amazing PP goal.

So then my wings buddy texts me right after and goes why did you retards get rid of them and what did you get in return ?

What do you say to that ?

Thanks JM, Thanks Randy, Thanks Goat……you’re all a bunch of effin’ donkeys !

Habs, OLE !

• Stooof says:

Yea. You all remember when they were stuck on a line with the veteran Lang??? that was our best line that year until lang went down. Then they got split up again and well you know the rest. What a joke JM was. I hated watching the habs play under him and was super pissed with the way he treated the youngins. bahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Bill says:

I didn’t like JM either, but have to admit he got better results than RC somehow.

Hoping the next coach has some imagination and faith in talent.

• Le Jadester says:

Yes sir.

I’ve gone on the record here a million times calling JM a stupid coach or just plain stubborn when he didn’t play them together.

But I must say, I did get to see them play the one and only time together in Ottawa, live on Hockey Day in Canada 2 years ago when Cammy got hurt goin’ into the boards. I think JM put them together for one shift and they made an amazing passing play to one another for an attempt on goal……..and what does JM do after that, makes sure they never play together. I guess that’s what 30 years of never winning a cup teaches ya ?

Habs, OLE !

• Stooof says:

RC was handed a team in shambles. They were in a free fall essentially and had no direction. He tried. I havn’t been frustrated watching them though, even when they lose. JM’s game plan was a total bore and it was very plain to see when he was there. I was constantly yelling at the tv. RC has done poorly, sure, but he wasn’t really given a fair shake. JM … just Fing terrible.

Funny you mention that game. I REMEMBER that game, i remember that shift. I was always hoping to see them stuck on the same line so it sticks out in my memory. Funny stuff.

• Mark C says:

Thing is, Trotz isn’t given AK more ice time or more PP time than he got in Montreal. Maybe AK’s just in one of this high effort moods.

48. habstrinifan says:

If Markov and the Canadiens (and yes the Canucks) play as elegantly as Boone introduced the game tonight.. we are in for a treat.

49. habstrinifan says:

Well Well!

One of the iconic pieces of literature in my mahogany panelled library has lost its august place on the “best opening paragraph” shelf.

Move over Charles .. make room for Mike!.

Dickens’ “A tale of Two Cities” must now give way to Boone’s “A Blog of Two Cities”

“It was the best of times it was the worst of times “.. was really superb Mr Dickens but I am sorry Mr Boone has surpassed you.

“They are the easternmost and westernmost teams in our home and native land.

“The teams are named for our great country… Canadiens vs. Canucks…. ”

Wonderfully august Mike. Sheer literary genius.

Beautiful!

50. AndyF says:

Let’s keep in mind that talent-wise, Markov is the best player this team has seen since Guy Lafleur. And it’s a tribute to his dedication to the team that he’s sacrificed his body for the CH.

Recall that Markov’s rehabs — both times — were very very poorly supervised by the Habs. That he still is even on speaking terms with this team is a tribute to the man’s loyalty.

I truly hope his knee problems are behind him, as I think he will go down in history as one the Habs’ greats. Unfortunately, he was unlucky enough to be on crummy Habs teams.

Fail to Fail for Nail

51. H.Upmann says:

Wendel Clarke eh? I can’t believe I’m rooting for the flyers right now, probably because of Giroux. (f— that guy would look GREAT in CH colours, is he UFA soon?) …,want the Leafs to build a lead, then blow it in last three minutes…

52. JIMVINNY says:

Damn I love Calgary weather. Spent 5 hours on the bike today, but My forearms are killing me; the shifting muscles need some work. REALLY nice to see that Calgary still has some drivers who are courteous and aware of motorcycles. On the other hand, there are still some total douchebags that go out of their way to hassle us.

Isn’t it a bit late to be showcasing Markov?

54. Chuck says:

Markov’s return will pay instant dividends Even if he only plays 10 minutes even-strength, it’s 10 minutes that either Campoli or Kaberle won’t be on the ice.

___________________________________________________

55. smiler2729 says:

My sister’s at the Laffs game… she grew up a Habs fan in T.M.R. lovin’ the Big M and the Pocket Rocket (do NOT insert joke here)… and then she moved to T.O. and met Wendel and ever since she’s been a Laffs fan…

Ugh.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

56. Here’s what I hope….
    …Markov comes back, stays healthy and plays good enough so that we can ship him off to Washington and get Hamrlik back.

57. H.Upmann says:

LOL wow wrath of grapes….

58. HabsFanMTL says:

i don’t get it, we stayed pretty competitive last couple of years without markov and without any great replacements apart from the wiz’s slapshot , and this year we sunk to the bottom will markov really make that big of a difference? or was it really wiz who kept us in this last year? and now that wiz is gone our season died?

59. habsfan0 says:

So…the first time Markov goes into a corner with a Canuck on top of him…how many of us will be holding our breaths?

60. ZepFan2 says:

Alfred E. Neuman is sitting behind the laffs bench. :lol:

• habsfan0 says:

Brian Burke: “What,me worry?”

• ZepFan2 says:

Hahaha

Did you see the kid? Spitting image.

• kbhab4ever says:

Habs could draft anywhere from 3rd to 9th.BIG difference in SKILL and NEED. So I worry.I think Edmonton will trade or drop down in draft to get a top young D. Which Habs happen to be well stocked in. SOOO I ask could the Habs get EDMONTON’S # 2 pick ??

• Muckbringer says:

nice thought but who do you think would go?

• Bill says:

IF the Habs had the 4th or 5th pick, it might be possible to trade for Edmonton’s 2nd overall … unless they want another forward. If they want a good D, it might actually be possible to flip them our pick plus Weber/Diaz. Weber would actually look good on that team, could put up serious offence on the powerplay.

• kbhab4ever says:

I hope the return of the great “M” does not lead to a climb in the standings.

61. Mondou6 says:

I don’t see what the point is to bring Markov back. He’s been out for over a year, and we’re out of the playoffs.

Why even risk this? It makes no sense at all.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There comes a point in the rehab process where gym work and physio have done all they can, and at that point you return to duties. If the doctors feel he’s fully ready, and he feels he’s fully ready, nothing is to be gained by keeping him out of action. So back to playing hockey he goes. In the real world, that might be modified duties, and we’ll see if they do so with Andrei by limiting his minutes.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Agree, there is a difference when he spends his summer training instead of rehabbing. I’m sure he wants to train this summer for a change.

• savethepuck says:

It is for Marky’s confidence and the team’s confidence in him going into next year. Would you rather have him go 15 months without playing a game or 22?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• kbhab4ever says:

Habs need to see IF and thats a BIG “IF” he has recovered or not , and is he STILL a top D or not

• Bill says:

Because it’s no more a risk than playing next season. It’s time.

62. Roy93 says:

No don’t agree Bertuzzi, I think we would be fighting for 7-8th spot. Halak probably would have gotten us into the playoffs. Like when he saved Price’s becon 2 years in a row and got us in :) With a probable first round exit LOL.

63. Marc10 says:

I don’t know that you bring Markov back against the best lineup in the League (or thereabouts…). Why not send him to the AHL for re-conditioning for two weeks? That to me would make more sense. That way the kids in Ham benefit from seeing a genuine NHL first liner and you still go with the full tank strategy.

I just don’t understand what the team is trying to accomplish here. Send him to Hamilton for reconditioning. The Flyers did it for Briere…

• HardHabits says:

Because that would be a smart hockey decision and not a good PR one.

• HabsFanMTL says:

2 weeks? how many games left do the habs have left? 15? 16? gawd let the dude play at least that many games for us, 2 weeks in the minors and theres have of the rest of the games remaining

• HardHabits says:

Maybe not two weeks but a few games at least. He hasn’t played any significant hockey in almost two years. Having him play a few games in the minors would allow him to warm up nicely with little pressure other than trying out his new knee in a game time environment.

I agree that two weeks would be excessive. But I still think a few games with Hamilton would be more than prudent.

Last I checked they are allowed to hit in the AHL as well, how is it different?

• HardHabits says:

The difference is that the game is easier at that level. That is why they call it a conditioning stint and allow it after a prolonged injury. It’s like working out with light weights for a few sessions before going to the heavy ones after a long period of inactivity. Given his recent history it serves a purpose.

• Marc10 says:

I wouldn’t want Markov to play a shift until he’s fully ready to play his regular shift. There’s no point in getting back in any event as we’re eliminated.

2 weeks, 3 weeks… Whatever it takes to get him back into full swing. Plus it helps us tank some more… and as we’re eliminated, why shoot yourself in the foot?

• Stooof says:

The guy has been conditioning for a year now. He is probably in better shape than the whole team. At this point we will end up wiht a good pick no matter how we finish.

• ont fan says:

He doesn’t have to play 20 min.

• savethepuck says:

Even if he’s only at 90%, he’s head and shoulders above 67% of our current DMen.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Muckbringer says:

canucks arent about to ruin his career for a point or two against our lowley habs. just glad hes back and killing time with skyrim just aint doing it right now!

64. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

I must stay up till 11pm Atlantic time tonight to watch the return of Markov…….it will make up for the crappy year we have as hab’s fans……..
    ……Go Habs Go…….

65. Shane1313 says:

Markov!!!

66. alfieturcotte says:

Markov’s return is quite timely, just when we are in the hunt……for the cellar.

How Gauthier could have been foolish enough to throw $6MM guaranteed for 3 years, I will never understand.

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

67. Bill says:

People are talking like Markov’s knee is fragile or something: no reason it shouldn’t be just as strong as it was before the injury. That was bad luck shredding it the second time, nothing more, nothing less. A knee that has been properly repaired is as strong as a knee that has never been hurt. Unfortunately for Markov, he’s looking at a lifetime of arthritis and impaired mobility in his senior years, but millions of dollars should ease the pain a bit!

• DorvalTony says:

Dr. Recchi speaks.

mcl-blog.blogspot.com

• savethepuck says:

Well said Bill and you should know by now that too many on here just like to be negative and expect the worse. I haven’t forgotten he was a top 5 or 10 DMan in the NHL before his injury. I call it the Cranky Old Bastard Syndrome.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

And he will be able to afford the best Russian vodka money can buy!

• Dulljerk says:

ZZZZZZZZZZ

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• jols101 says:

Bill, new to this forum and love reading your posts as well as many others, some not so much. No sarcasm intended but how do you know this? Any medical proof or just an opinion? I hope you are right. Ideally, Markov finishes this season but does’nt light it up and ruin all the hard work the Habs have put in to getting a lottery pick. Then next year he becomes the dominant dman we all know he can be. Anyway, is your claim a huntch or do you know of these things for real?

• Un Canadien errant says:

All reports are that the reconstruction itself is sound, the ligament replacement has been successful. What has held Andrei back is pain and stiffness, which they attempted to remedy with the cleanup procedure done in December.

ACL reconstruction is not a slam dunk like removing the tonsils, there’s not a 100% chance he’ll be good as new, but the technique is now well-understood and offers a good chance of success.

Unfortunately, quite a few posters on here think the Andrei Markov setbacks in rehab fit in well with their narrative of negativity and their campaign to get everyone fired. Some others view Bobby Orr as the only example of the outcomes of knee surgery.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• savethepuck says:

People on here don’t realize there have been great advances in medical science since the 70′s.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Bill says:

I asked a doctor, haha. That’s what he told me.

68. Psycho29 says:

Herb Carnegie, who many considered the best hockey player to never play in the National Hockey League, died Friday in Toronto at 92.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Hockey+trailblazer+Herb+Carnegie+dies/6282738/story.html#ixzz1olAzE7Mc

69. Un Canadien errant says:

A game between my hometown team and my adopted hometown(ish), and I’m not conflicted in the least.

Allez, allez, allez
    Allez Montréal!

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Thanks for all the details related to the ACL on previous thread Normand. I was on my ipad and hate typing long messages on it, and got lazy in my explanation, appreciate the details.

CHeers and enjoy the game my friend.

70. L Elle says:

Wow, after all the waiting, Markovs’ return is so anticlimactic.

But I’m planning the parade anyway. ;)

71. Pucknut says:

Staubitz should be ready to disassemble anyone who even breathes on Markov

72. Bertuzzi says:

I’m tired of all these Price bashers. Even if we had kept Halak, it doesn’t necessarily mean that we would be in first place right now.

73. Chuck says:

If Markov plays tonight, it’ll solidify my decision to find tickets for Monday in Buffalo. GO MARKY!!!

___________________________________________________

74. db says:

Go Impact!! I’m still puzzled at the Brian Ching debacle… trading away your first pick in the expansion draft for a conditional 2013 draft pick?

Oh well. Glad that we can let Markov build the confidence at the end of this season… It’ll be good for everyone to know where he stands. This guy was top 5 on D when he got hurt (IMO, I’ve seen him live many times and his composure is contagious… )

75. Greg says:

Wifi is iffy at Rogers Center? C’mon…

• Bill says:

Haha, no surprise at all actually; I bet the cell reception is even worse!

• kempie says:

Don’t underestimate the incompetence of a company that massive. I spent two weeks of last month trying to figure out how a leader in information technology such as Bell could attempt every day to send a text message to a guy in a van without success until the 14th attempt.

76. ZepFan2 says:

I’d take Bill’s advice over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Btw, Brian Wilde just confirmed Markov will be dressed for tonight’s game. :smile:

77. kempie says:

That’s Mister Bill to you son.

78. ont fan says:

Oh 17…sometimes agh

79. Bill says:

Glad I could help, kid. (sarcasm, since you like it made clear)

Ironically (fittingly?) the guy I got this information from is a medical doctor, and his name is actually Bill! What are the odds.

80. boing007 says:

It’s speculation either way you look at it, but I think we would be in a playoff position if Halak were still here.

Richard R

81. Canus says:

or paying some guy who gets paid almost 8 million who does nothing, except make funny jokes on television. But, he’s great in the dressing room.

82. kempie says:

Wow. Respectfully, I disagree. I think it would be close if we’d had a healthy Markov since October.

83. Bill says:

Pfft, why, would he bring Hitchcock with him?

84. Price07 says:

Halak supporters don’t realize that the blues rarely allow more then 20 shots on goal. How many times have you looked at the shot count after blues games, after shutouts? Halak gets shutouts with 15-18 shots. The blues are the number one team in the league, and its not just because they have good goaltending. You think brian elliott is actually as good as his numbers show? The numbers suggest he’s the best (or close to it) in the league. But offer him up to teams and you’ll see they won’t be dumb enough to give half of what they would give for Carey Price.

Guarantee you guys you won’t be seeing Elliott on team Canada next olympics but guess who you will see…

85. ZepFan2 says:

You’re welcome!

86. HabFab says:

You know he sounds and writes suspiciously like HabsGuardian doesn’t he?

87. Shane1313 says:

I was thinking the same thing!

88. ZepFan2 says:

Sure does.

You HIO sleuth you.

90. Bob_Sacamano says:

For once I completely agree with you. I don´t know why some people don´t get it. If he gets injured again, we have to find someone else for next season. I really, really hope his injury troubles are over. For himself, for the team and for all those assholes who predicted otherwise. Especially for the ones who have been insulting him.

91. 123456 says:

agree – JM had limited assets. IMO markov would add at least 30 points and prevent 10 or so goals…. i think that math has the habs in 8th or so.

92. 123456 says:

list of great players since guy please. . . .

93. habstrinifan says:

You forgetting players like Chelios etc??

94. athanor says:

Limited assets, and he frequently made the least of them

95. Bill says:

The only guys I can think of with Markov-level talent who’ve played for the Habs SINCE Guy would be Pierre Turgeon and Alexei Kovalev. But Markov has a totally different “compete level”: his effort matches his talent, which could not always be said for Turgeon and Kovalev.

So the guy’s point is valid.

96. habsfanforever7631 says:

P.K. mite have more talent, but I think us Habs fans have forgottin how good Markov use to play.
    If Markov plays at 80% of what he use to be he will be better then anyone on our D.

97. AndyF says:

+1 :-)

Fail to Fail for Nail

98. 123456 says:

no french – i know a few words but thats it.

99. 24moreCups says:

Good for him, too bad it didn’t work out in Montreal for both of them(SK and AK).

100. Un Canadien errant says:

Not worried. He’ll lose interest soon. Andrei got all the chances he needed, plus a couple dozen more.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

101. Bill says:

If I were the one handing out chances to AK, I would have tried giving him a chance playing top minutes and first-line PP duty. But that’s me.

102. Stooof says:

I would agree with this if he had spent the entire last two seasons on the top two pairings, instead of being shuffled around like a musical chair for every center to sit on. The guy was the goat. This season alone he has spent little stretches playing with pleks, gomez, eller, noki… I mean come on. He should have never left pleks wing, period.

103. Le Jadester says:

I respectfully Disagree with Un Canadien errant’s statement above

Habs, OLE !

104. thorandresson says:

Huh? What does Gainey have to do with it? PG signed him.

Besides, I don’t get the issue, were we supposed to let Markov walk away after being the best player on this team for the past decade? Were we supposed to sign him for 1 year so that we’d have to resign him again this off season?

Seriously, I don’t get what you’re whining about.

105. Mark C says:

That isn’t a fact. They can send Gomez to the AHL and pay $0.00 in cap hit.

106. AndyF says:

Yup, Lats getting lots of good ice time is why Grabovski went nuts on us. Poor kid just couldn’t understand why Tenders got so much ice-time…

Edit: I totally misunderstood your post. Sorry — I’ll just let this stand, as a testament to my own stupidity. :-)

Fail to Fail for Nail

107. JIMVINNY says:

Something tells me Boone didn’t post that because of how hot he thinks Price is.

The fact that you have a problem with it though; That might be an indication of underlying issues…

108. English is not a Crime says:

Breaking News: Shiloh hates Price, got it. That should tide us over for 5 minutes until the next time you announce your hate for him….

109. JIMVINNY says:

I think maybe you’re just taking it a little more seriously than everyone else.

110. Bill says:

Speak for yourself, I’m writing a scholarly essay on Price and his cowboy hat AS WE SPEAK!! :)

111. habsfanforever7631 says:

I don’t get it, 1 second you want him to reinjure himself and the next your sending him wishes?
    If you really mean what you said, I agree with you.
    I want Markov to finish out his contract like the good player he is.
    Then if he still has it in him, to sign and finish in Montreal.
    Cause I remember how good Markov can be, a top 10 Dmen.

Go Habs Go

112. Stev.R says:

He’s awful. Thats why they don’t let him announce Habs games anymore.

113. neumann103 says:

Okay, I considered the Gomez-love to be potentially just an aberration, or an artifact of callow teenaged youth but this means you must be totally insane.

Bob Cole was terrible before he went completely senile about 5 years ago and now he is that much worse.

Now Danny Gallivan, there was a legend.

“Et le but!”

114. habsfanforever7631 says:

How do you know that?
    It’s just like if I say I know that Markov will play really well!
    We don’t know.
    I don’t know that Markov is going to play well, and you don’t know that Markov is going to reinjure himself.

His best before date was long ago. To me his legacy has been tarnished the past 5 years or so.

116. ZepFan2 says:

And you keep whining about trading Pleks. I call it a draw on the whine.

117. ZepFan2 says:

He’s hurt. :razz:

118. Stev.R says:

I think it was just a muscle pull. They said he won’t be out long, but that he would probably miss tonight to rest it.

119. Bill says:

No updates since the other night when Cuneyworth said it was nothing serious. There will be no updates from the Habs, you can bet on that.

120. krob1000 says:

he must think it is pretty cool being on the ice when his team has more guys on the ice then the other team…..I bet he didn’t know they did that anymore in the NHL

121. Bill says:

Kostitsyn on the powerplay you say? Hmm. Hmmmmm.

122. ZepFan2 says:

Sure you are.

“You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

He has looked better on this road trip

125. neumann103 says:

GAAAAAAAAAACCCCK!!!!!

sputters….

“Et le but!”

126. Mr. Biter says:

Glad to see you back habs17.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

127. Mr. Biter says:

Habs17,
    Now you have upset the masses. Danny Gallivan, best hockey announcer of all time. Back to high school for you.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

128. Bill says:

SPoke a little too soon there, haha.

129. Propwash says:

Riiiiiight….

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

130. Stev.R says:

I like it too.

131. Muckbringer says:

im switching to rds for the second. this is terrible.

132. savethepuck says:

Cole I find, is the only CBC announcer that doesn’t shit on the Habs and gives them a little credit. I’ll take his senility over every other CBC guy any day

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

133. Propwash says:

Same here. The Ceeb is just brutal.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

134. smiler2729 says:

Get over it, they’re history and they couldn’t work here, whatever, let’s move on, spilled milk…

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

135. Bertuzzi says:

It was sad to see AK give away the puck every time he touched it.

136. Propwash says:

His knee will be fine.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

137. zak says:

hE NEVER HAD THE SAME LINEMATES FROM GAME TO GAME

Hire the best regardless of language

138. EricInStL says:

Hughson is SOOOOO over rated, it’s scary. He is very bad.

139. JIMVINNY says:

The “I’m a Vancouver homer” channel.

140. smiler2729 says:

He looks like a cartoon…

And Craig Simpson’s hair is freakin’ whacked, is that real??

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

141. zak says:

Wait till we have schultz and staub in the line-up Bring on the Bruins

Hire the best regardless of language

142. jedimyrmidon says:

He hasn’t played 10 games in the past 2 years. Give him a break.

143. Stev.R says:

He hasn’t been awful, but he has been hesitant. A step behind. But that should be expected. This is his first game of the year playing against conditioned players.

144. habs-fan-84 says:

Your comments seemingly get dumber as the night gets older. Anyone who thought he was going to make an immediate impact was kidding themselves. By the time he’s caught up to game speed the season will be over. This is why he had to get his feet wet before the end of this season.

145. shootdapuck says:

Can’t be Webber he hasn’t run away from anyone!

=================================================
    The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

146. Propwash says:

Jeez, at least TRY to feel good for the guy.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

147. joeybarrie says:

kinda like ex habs doing well in the first few games on a new team…

Just ignore it.

149. Habsolutely says:

thats what I do. I ignore all the little trolls here.

150. Propwash says:

Mybad, my trolldar is a bit dysfunctional recently.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

151. Storm Man says:

Nah him and manparts are playing with the Halak dolls tonight.

152. Bill says:

It must be if you’re responding to that guy!

Full Breezer 4 Life

It Bill, guy is far too much credit.

+10

Not really. They got dominated on the shot clock for the first half of the game. Even though the Habs had some scoring chances Price stole the show up to that point. A late 2nd and early 3rd is what changed it and the 2nd goal was as soft as they come.

Then again the Habs haven’t had many good games this season so that isn’t so hard to beat. ;-)

156. Chuck says:

Habs.

___________________________________________________

157. Shane1313 says:

Im gonna say it again, you seem like a really cool guy.

158. habs-fan-84 says:

Yes, he deserves more than half a season. The last thing this group of players needs is a new coach come September, sigh, I shudder at the thought.

159. jedimyrmidon says:

I think he brings the right approach to being more of a player’s coach, but this team needs adopt a system that allows for more puck carrying and such rather than enforcing automatic dump-and-chase, which is detrimental to players who do have puck handling skills and such (their skills will atrophy after a time if not used or used sparingly). I’m not convinced RC knows another system since I think he was more of a grinder himself as a player.

Though I do like the PK of this team, and I don’t want to see them lose this aspect of their game.

160. howtathor says:

The masks are auctioned off for Hockey Fights Cancer. His main mask is the rodeo theme.

161. durocher says:

Agreed — we need him, or a player like him, on our 4th line, no disrespect to Moen, Darche, or Blunden. Staubitz has played his role very well.

162. Bill says:

It is though. Lots of times you see a fight, guy wins, his team loses. And just as often, it happens the other way. Remember there was a study a few years back that found fights had no measurable impact on wins/losses in games …

163. EricInStL says:

Thats how I saw it.

164. jedimyrmidon says:

I agree that the energy he brings has been overlooked by management. If only we could get a guy who could score a bit more. But a 4th line with a guy like Staubitz, White and Darche should be quite effective.

In all this, I don’t think Darche should be overlooked. He is good defensively and is good on the PK with Pleks. So he brings the “hockey play” elements. White will become a mix of both a guy who can drop the gloves and play physical while still being able to contribute to team play. Staubitz is weighted much more heavily towards the fighting aspect.

165. Stev.R says:

See, I always imagined than he was interim headcoach just because they wanted to be able to have a good look at the coaches that were available before they made their decision. I kind of figured it was likely Cunneyworth would just return to assistant coach at the end of the year.

166. smiler2729 says:

Dunno yet.

I hit 16/16 on NFL about 4 years ago but so did 1,100 others so we each got $376.

My sis hit on hockey and got $16,000 three years ago.

Looking at the previous cards, they were taking home $20,000+.

To my wife: this oughta shut you up for a while lol

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

167. smiler2729 says:

They were busy watching Halak warming the end of the bench vs. Columbus as Brian freakin’ Elliot, All-Star turned aside 12 or so shots on the Center Ice package.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

168. Bill says:

Halak would have had a shut-out!

(*If Hitchcock were the Habs’ coach)

169. Stev.R says:

Or if Gionta hadn’t gotten hurt.
    Or if we didn’t give up third period leads.
    Or if Kostitsyn put up 20.

170. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, the classic 12 save shutout…

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

171. showey47 says:

The 2007/2008 habs leading the eastern conference in points with tom the bomb as their enforcer proves it.

172. otter649 says:

Explain The PK which Pleks is a big part of……

173. Clutch10 says:

Nah what he said about PK it hurts him to say anything good.

174. habstrinifan says:

Yeah bu I wanna knock the Leafs outta the playoffs last game we play them and still draft before them! Would be sweet!

175. habstrinifan says:

I watched the game thinking Pleks is no DD….. amazing, wouldnt you say, the reversal.

Chubbing up for sure but he’s got some weird cosmetic changes going on that isn’t make-up related.

177. Cal says:

Hey, Mr. Markov-will-last-three-shifts. Not gone?

178. habsfanforever7631 says:

Yeah remember you “know” that Markov will get injured in his first shift? And that your always rite?

179. Chuck says:

Somebody should tell him that he’s not supposed to actually eat the food while he’s filming those McDonald’s commercials.

___________________________________________________

180. habs-fan-84 says:

You can be sure he’s going to come out hard as ever next year.

181. habsfanforever7631 says:

Why would you think something like that!
    Why do you want him to get injured.

182. otter649 says:

Coaches decide what players will do…..

183. Lix says:

Yeah the pay him 5.75 to play with Moen, AK(invisible46) all year. How the poor guy is going to pot 50+ points again is amazing.

184. athanor says:

And while doing what otter649 and Lix said, he is still second in assists and sixth in goals.

185. Stev.R says:

Emelin married with two kids

186. habsfanforever7631 says:

Their keepers for other reasons also, lol.
    But yeah you got a point, I also think that their really smart and they wouldn’t do stuf flike that.

187. habsfanforever7631 says:

Is Price married or not, but I think he’s been with his girlfriend for a long time. So they’ll probably get married if their not.

188. habs1966 says:

Here = Hamilton

189. slychard says:

God (if there is one) I HOPE NOT!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

Gomez will have a map of Hamilton with an arrow and You are Here written on.

191. 24moreCups says:

Maybe he’s paying them to say that to get people thinking like that.

192. Duracell3 says:

11 points, -8, $7 million US.

Useful player.

You sir are a smart man.

193. athanor says:

The comment about the chirping aside, he said he loved the way P.K. played tonight, in fact practically raved about him. How does that make him a douche?

194. habsfanforever7631 says:

Serious?

195. habsfanforever7631 says:

Isn’t he going out with Angela Weber?

Where does that put Gomez? Hamilton I guess.

197. Stev.R says:

Top 5 in my opinion

198. slychard says:

There are a few other interesting sleepers in the system, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz, Bennett, Pateryn, Nash…all intriguing prospects on D…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

199. slychard says:

Pics on the internet, sure, I can probably get some of you on there…(studying, I hope)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

200. Stev.R says:

where? I remember seeing the ones with him, D’ags, and Higgins. Thats why they were traded.

201. mb says:

Oh good. So now this site is “Habs gossip Inside Out”.

202. Stev.R says:

Yup, I’m happy about that. I was worried he was all alone in Canada.

203. ZepFan2 says:

Even when we win we need somebody to scapegoat. It’s pathetic.

204. habs1966 says:

Unfortunately that’s only wishful thinking.

205. Lizardking89 says:

Minors

206. Stev.R says:

Hanging in the rafters where it should be.

In all honesty, I really like Gomez. He’s a good person and contrary to popular belief he hasn’t been that bad this year despite what the numbers say. He does get caught floating sometime but he is also one of our best neutral zone guys, and is pretty steady in our end for the most part. The only problem is, that he needs to play with linemates with talent and have good chemistry with him (which there are few in the league because Gomez is so outside of the box). If he doesn’t have that then he isn’t getting points. And If he isn’t getting points then his salary cap is hurting the team. We need that money to sign Price, Subban, Eller, Geoffrion, Moen, Emelin and Diaz. Not to mention Pacioretty and Desharnais next season.

I like him but it’s the $$$ that is the problem.

207. athanor says:

Good points, but there is no frigging shot clock in hockey. That’s a basketball term, as is the ‘final four’ (though less so) that announcers so love.

208. Stev.R says:

I’m certain a weaker team that needs to hit the cap floor and doesn’t have a guy that can fit into the second line center role would pickup Gomez for a season or two.

209. habsfanforever7631 says:

We need a shut down dmen with them.

210. Bill says:

You’re right about him being a nice guy and a good team guy. But keep it real, he’s been terrible this season.

211. habsfanforever7631 says:

Umm, bro the clocks moved ahead an hour.
    Some people already changed their time, don’t forget to change yours!

212. Stev.R says:

Are you invited?

213. slychard says:

It’s Grigorenko, and his stock is falling by the minute.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

214. GrimJim says:

He’s officiating…

215. ZepFan2 says:

He’ll be stalking it. Wait for the pictures.

216. jedimyrmidon says:

It would indeed. Hope they still get it. Though tonight’s win was nice.

217. Duracell3 says:

Gomez is barely a 3rd line centre on the worst team in the league. He should defiantly get top 6 minutes. lol.