Liveblog: Not dead!

EllerKomisarek

Your Montreal Canadiens took three of four points in a back-to-back on the road.
And they hurt the Leafs.

Lovely!

1. nova scotia vees says:

Beating the Leafs makes it all right in my world. Good night for Price. More of those please…and if anyone bitches about P.K. tonight, then they should take a hard look at themselves to see what is really motivating their dislike of him. I remember another young defenseman that was just as cocky and even worse, was crazier off the ice…His name was Chris Chelios and we dumped him. What did he play something like 20 more seasons?

• CanadienBoy says:

Well said afther some force experience playing again all the top line of every team PK will become the new Norris winner on the Habs unless some idiot trade him

• habs001 says:

if we get number 25 in the next 5 years pk will be one of the most important players for that team…

• cupdelusions says:

Typical racist francophone rant against a black guy.Living here in backwardsland,these anitchambre pundits are truly ignorant.I would not be surprised if our management(???),a term I use lossely- traded Subban-Hey they traded Halak didnt they.
      What I found amazing is that the Leafs looked dead tonight.No jump at all.Are you sure that Jacques Martin wasnt coaching the Leafs.BORING! BORING!BORING!
      Ok I was wrong…Price didn’t let in the first 2 goals as per usual;but he did look pathetic on the breakaway vs the leaf goalie who stoned Lars from Mars.
      The odds of making the playoffs are still low….

A canonnanding drive!!

2. twocents says:

The highlight of the night for me was listening to the idiotic Glenn Healey ripping on the Habs for their poor draft performance in 2004. He pointed out that the Habs only graduated three players, Emelin, Grabavski and Streit that year.

Behold the loafs picks that year: Justin Pogge, Roman Kukumberg, Dmitry Vorobiev, Robbie Earl, Maxim Semenov, Jan Steber, Pierce Norton.

Not to mention he missed Chipchura. Who is at least a marginal Nhler. More than can be said of any of the loaf’s picks.

• BramptonHab says:

I agree…he’s an idiot and an embarrassment to the CBC. I caught the same thing as you did. I’m wondering if while he was saying this he started to realize what he was saying didn’t make much sense but he couldn’t back out of it. Doh!!!

• Mike D says:

Totally agree with this and thought the exact same thing to myself when I heard it.

Graduating 3 legit, quality NHLers, not to mention a fringe player (Chipchura), isn’t that bad considering the team had no 2nd round pick and two 9th rounders (one of which was Streit).

– Honestly yours

3. manu07 says:

Healy is a moron.

4. otter649 says:

Why did Healy count Leaf passes on their PP & not on The Habs
    PP maybe it is to prove a point but what point ?

5. manu07 says:

Bourque should be on the PP and stand in front of the net the whole time.

• WestHab says:

The goal by RB was very typical of the goals he scored for the Flames. Of course the CBC crew never gave him any credit mentioing it was a lucky bounce more than once. You need very good hand to eye coordination to swat the puck like that.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

6. LL says:

Questions for RC:

When you have a guy like Bourque who is not afraid to get beaten up in front of the opponents’ net, and has scored 27 goals the last 2 seasons, why don’t you use him on the PP?

Why is Gomez on the PP?

7. manu07 says:

Markov is never coming back. I’m convinced. He will practice and after 4 days the water in the knee will return. I’m pretty sure he’s done.

8. outsider89 says:

If Subban was White, French Quebec and was named Gaston- Pierre Tremblay, there would only be talk about the potential of this young 2nd year player who is suffering the growing pains of being thrust into the #1 defence spot on the most demanding team! after mario tremblays stint in MTL as coach, he should never even try to form an opinion!

9. saskhabfan says:

Gee, no retromikey,manapart or dorvaltony in the room after a win. But are here as soon as the buzzer goes after a loss.

10. manu07 says:

I was hoping Gomez was being shopped for a lot longer then the past few weeks…he’s gotta go, sooner rather then later!

11. rogieshan says:

Happy to see a victory, but our power play is still miserable.

Cole continues to be a monster.

12. manu07 says:

I live in The GTA. I hate the leafs more then anything. I won’t even go to Habs leads games in the ACC anymore. All suits eating sushi in the first two levels. It’s a Joke. I would rather drive 6 hours an book a room a Novatel then go to the ACC

• neumann103 says:

Three out of the last four seasons I have bought tickets to all Habs games in Buffalo.

I occasionally go to Leaf games but not in the last couple of years. It is too depressing to be 4 minutes into the second period and seeing the platinums empty.

An acquaintance has season tickets 6 rows up directly behind the visitor’s net. I have bought seats off him 4 or 5 times. People in nearby seats show up mid way through the 1st period and leave before the end of the 2nd. Disgraceful.

If i go to the ACC now, I will only sit in the cheap seats.
      If you go and sit up in the nosebleeds, they are filled with real fans who believe in their team after decades of relentless failure. God bless ‘em.

“Et le but!”

13. The Jackal says:

Even in Toronto, there are Habs fans everywhere. In Montreal you’ll be hard pressed to find a leafs fan… Go Habs Go!

Cole for Captain,
    while Gionta gone.

• citizenSanto says:

Cole would certainly be worthy Ian.

• Mike D says:

Cole has become one of my favourite Habs and it didn’t take long. When I heard about him flying LL’s parents down to Cali for his first NHL game I was very impressed.

Love that thing he does when he gives the boys a drink too. Seems like a well-liked and respected guy by the team from what I can see from my fan chair.

That was an EXCELLENT signing by PG!

I watched the game on CBC tonight (I like to laugh at the laff-centric commentary when I can) and they did a feature on PK during the 3-hour glass repair which showed Cole doing some sort of pre-game fist-bump ritual as he walked through the guys lined up along the side of the tunnel. You can see Cole already has a big leadership role on the team. Well deserved as he always busts his ass every shift.

– Honestly yours

15. Sharks9 says:

Apparently Gauthier is at the Colorado/LA game now.

25 before 14

16. Sharks9 says:

How are the commentators on HNIC allowed to refer to the Leafs as “our team”? What a joke.

25 before 14

• matt jordan says:

Jim Hughson can get bent.
      It blows my mind that Mike Milbury is on the Hotstove. He makes the rest of the panel look worse.
      Glenn Healy was the most impartial of the HNIC crew. And he was fair.

Where was Bob Cole, he still easily HNIC’s best.

• zorro says:

“Surely that’s gotta be it”

• Jim Edson says:

Boob Cole was bungling the Winnipeg – Florida game!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• cupdelusions says:

The laffs(I mean Leafs) are “our team”.They are in Canada.We are in backwardsland- aka”Quebec”.

A canonnanding drive!!

• outsider89 says:

Because they are a joke, CBC, TSN, RSN are all based out of Toronto, and think that is the only team that matters. This is evident in everything they do. Bernard “Boom Boom” Geoffrion DIES on the day his number gets retired, Gets a no show on CBC. But we get Tie Domi’s 1000th game ceremony! MTL falling apart, OTT surprising people, WIN doing better than expected, CGY, struggling, EDM facing injuries, VAN facing a goaltending Controvery, No we have to hear about a leaf liking justin beiber or Browns Mustach! It just sucks!

17. joshua94k says:

For those who doubt the Canadiens. Shame on you.

The Canadiens don’t tank. They don’t give up. They never have.

They are going to make the play-offs. There are a lot of games left to be played. New Jersey, Toronto, Florida, Pittsburgh etc. are not very strong teams.

You can’t dismiss a team with warriors such as Gorges, Price, Plekanec, Subban, Cole, Darche, Gill, Paccioretty, Desharnais, etc.

Next issue, Sportsnet should have the headline, “The Toronto Maple Leafs, a Canadian tragedy”.

• zorro says:

Yes, lets not forget Ryan White returns to the line up for a little energy. Should be an interesting finish to “our” season.
      Maple Leaf franchice was always a tragedy.

• matt jordan says:

Pittsburgh is not a very strong team?!
      You must have missed last night when they beat the Canadiens.

And we whine about injuries and Ryan White and Markov and how amazing our team would be… Pittsburgh is missing the best player in the world, and Jordan Staal. They kept their heads afloat without their best defenseman, Kris Letang.

If the Penguins had good health this season they’d be in first place this season, and Crosby would be leading the league in points. But they don’t and as it is they’re a solid playoff team.

18. Adidess says:

No reason for the guys in L’Antichambre to spend the first 15 mns of their show on Subban tonight. They’re talking about last night for Crass sake!
    Looks like they were ready to pounce on their ‘souffre-douleur’ and despite the fact that tonight’s game didn’t play into their theme, they went full steam ahead anyway.
    Subban is 22, he had a decent game tonight. He’s not a bad kid. Different person, different personality, and yes he’s not from a typical Don Cherry-approved family from Saskatchewan. So different culture there.
    The kid will learn he has to fit in. He probably likes/watches other sports where there is room for all sorts of personalities. He’ll realize hockey is not a sport that allows behaviors/styles that deviate from the norm.

• cupdelusions says:

The odds of making the playoffs are still low….

A canonnanding drive!!

• Habtastic says:

They lovvvve to run with narratives. Gomez has either run dry or they realized that people see he’s playing well. They started the “PK is an immature cancer” thing a couple of games ago and they’re not ready to give up on it. They are just as bad as all the windbags at CBC. Did they not see that PK had a very good game tonight in a…cough cough…WIN?

How many times did they have that conversation with Cunney and Gomez on repeat? 8 or 9? Seriously just f off and let us enjoy a win against the leafs and quit whining about one of our future stars. Just shut it. Where does Bergy get the balls to assume his opinions have any worth (on any given night)? I want to punch Langdeau’s smug face so hard every time he says something incendiary. PJ can sometimes be the voice of reason. That says a lot.
      ————–
      The Drive for 25

19. JUST ME says:

Ah well ! I suppose we should be happy with the 3 points out of 4 but the 4th one added to all the other ones we did not get makes the difference between being in the race and being where we are.

Strangely no ambiance tonight at the ACC. I guess all the habs fans had nothing to cheer about .

Overall a good effort. Even though i am kind of subdued and not overly enthousiastic i guess those two points could make a difference if if if,,,

20. hansolo says:

I like that in the photo above, Eller and AK tower over the Leafs (the smurf narrative gets tiresome with repetition) and that Eller is laughing. Does AK ever laugh?

21. Mr_MacDougall says:

Name a 7 million dollar line in the NHL better then Patch (1.625), Cole (4.5), and DD (0.85)…..

22. otter649 says:

Healy what a joke going on about Reimer’s injury against The Habs blah blah blah how bad it was but when it happened he said Reimer was trying to do a sell job/faking the hit by Gionta
    to draw a larger pentalty…..

23. FlyingFrenchie says:

Question: What are the qualifications to be hired for Hockey Night In Canada?

Answer: Idiot, Numbskull, Blowhard, Twit, Excuse maker, In total denial, Biased, Boring, Wagon jumper, Leaf Fan,

24. MICP says:

any links for the oilers and flames tonight? Thank you

25. idle says:

Except I promise you coaches don’t give a (deleted) how much a player gets paid when it comes to assessing their on ice play. Maybe in the long term, but not game by game.

———————————–
    MusicCavity.com

26. Captain aHab says:

They’re managing to turn a Habs win into a PK bitchfest on AC.

27. otter649 says:

Quite The CBC f in Maple Leaf Love Fest tonight……

• Strummer says:

It’s basically a Leafs infomercial.
      All the fawning over Gustavvsen – Healy calls him the Monster all night.
      80% of the commentary on HNIC was Leaf-centric

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

28. Sharks9 says:

As a Habs fan in the GTA, I could not be happier.

I don’t care where the Habs finish anymore, if the Leafs don’t make the playoffs than this year has been a success.

25 before 14

• Strummer says:

As another Habs fan in the GTA I look forward to not having to look at the stupid Leaf car flags when they finish 9th

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

• habs-fan-84 says:

Habs fan in Markham here. All my immediate as well as extended family are Leaf fans. Yes, it feels good to spoil their party. I do care where we finish, but if we aren’t going to make the playoffs, nothing would please me more than to see the Leafs finish out of the playoffs…..again.

29. Strummer says:

Three things that went well tonite that haven’t recently:

1. C. Price
    2. S. Gomez
    3. We held an effin’ lead!

Edit: honourable mention to P. Subban who had his feces together tonite.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

• naweed235 says:

Price did not have to make any big saves except that break away right after our goal… oh wait he didn’t …
      Gomez is sure starting to take more shots…

• olematelot says:

your Price hatred is getting old

• Habtastic says:

yes, yes he did. He boxed out Lupul twice, made several saves on Kessel and Kadri, was great on the PK and at the end of the game. When he makes the saves they’re not “big saves” are they? He made way more big saves than Halak did in that much heralded performance not too long ago.

————–
        The Drive for 25

30. Habby says:

But this game isn’t even the craziest part of tonight. The Red Wings went to a shoot out against the Blue Jackets. Man, Detroit’s got something going on.

The drive for 25 is alive!

• powdered toastmann says:

No doubt…the Wings are one special team. It’s actually amazing…everyone knows they’re good…they prepare/gear up for them and still the Wings win. (like the proverbial freight train approaching from a distance…you see them coming with lotsa time to get psyched up but they still roll over you. Year after year we hear: Oh, they’re getting too old, too beat up, losing too many good players etc…and they just keep rolling on.

31. topher5468 says:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20563737,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines”It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

32. GUNKA DIN says:

That Gomez is on a tear! Points in two games in a row.

see my blog at http://noroomatthedump.blogspot.com/

• idle says:

Cool blog GUNKA DIN. You are pretty handy with the wood working. I like these kind of do it yourself projects, except for the fact that I have zero skill with tools. I mean have you ever seen Homer Simpson with a hammer. That’s pretty much me.

However, let me know if you ever do any Halloween projects. I might take a crack at them.

33. mb says:

Nice win, especially against the Leafs!

34. doogie says:

Tell me again why the Leafs dumped Versteeg?

* * * * * * *

I keep waiting for Shutt-Lafleur- Lemaire to jump over the boards!

• hansolo says:

Because Burke is a blowhard?

• ffenliv says:

He was also dumped by Chicago and Philly … and the Leafs might have the steal of the last 10 seasons in Lupul, courtesy a Brian Burke deal.

People just don’t like him because he’s a media whore. We dislike PG for, among other reasons, his refusal to speak to the media. I’d kill for a GM like Burke who actually talks like he cares, and doesn’t hide from the press.

My response to that is kessel for sequin, doug Hamilton and a 2nd round pick whose name escapes me

• Mad Habber says:

Knight

but he followed with:
            Kaberle for Colborne and 1st..
            Lombardi and Franson for Slaney and Lebda

I hate the Leafs, and don’t particularly care for Burke’s attitude but he hasn’t done to badly with the Leafs.

• powdered toastmann says:

Agree…as much of a loud mouth as he can be, I would take Burke over our lame duck any day.

Not enough truculence too much speed

• Strummer says:

he gave all his draft picks away in earlier deals and Philly offered a 1st rounder for Versteeg

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

• otter649 says:

Victor Stalberg would look pretty good in a Leafs Sweator since he plays on the first line for the Hawks usually…..

35. SKHab says:

How will all the Toronto sports networks spin that loss? HaHa

Go Habs Go

36. idle says:

LOL, my dad who is a life long Leaf fan just messaged me “Terrible game. Leafs only slightly worse than the Habs. Both teams should be ashamed of their play”.

My response:

‘I don’t know what the hell you are talking about. That’s as good as it gets for the Habs!!’

———————————–
    MusicCavity.com

37. slapshot777 says:

Great team game especially after playing last night then having to fly in right after the game. Price played a good game. Now if the Habs could only get the PP going.

38. OneTimer says:

Attaboy Carey, nice win. Go Habs go!

39. hansolo says:

Mr Boone, didn’t you take off the tuque about 3 min into the first? Can you really say it was the tuque? Maybe, it was RC’s brilliant line matching…wait, I guess it WAS the tuque. You’ll have to wear it always from now on.

40. Bripro says:

Not a convincing win, but 2 points none the less.
    One big positive…Price was solid.
    I haven’t seen that in a few games at least. Good sign.

41. NLhabsfan says:

CBC is sickening now with such pro Laffs comments

• Bripro says:

CBC should qualify who they use.
      Did you see Milbury talk about Ference having “got his stick caught in a rutt” to excuse his game misconduct.
      What a moron!

• ABHabsfan says:

Do you think those 2 wear Leaf jerseys while they do the game? Holy crap I thought it was Leafs TV for a while then I realized that it is my tax dollars going to pay those homers. Healy said something positive about CP in the 3rd but other than that it was like they were humping Burke’s leg the entire broadcast.
      Other than the penalty in the first, PK played a strong game. No “messing the bed” as I heard another revered poster mention. One that stands out; Kessel at full speed and a step on PK on the off-wing and he regains his angle cuts him off and never turns. Not much if you don’t know but how many other d-men in the league could have done that? Maybe 5? Credit where it’s due.

42. LL says:

I’m especially happy for my fellow Hab fans in the GTA. :)

43. Mr. Boone, keep wearing that lucky tuque until the Habs lose one!

44. NLhabsfan says:

Gee that was a FAST switch…in coverage.

• Habtastic says:

hehe, true. If the outcome had been the opposite, they would have canceled the west coast telecast and just interviewed each player about their opinions about Miley Cyrus

————–
      The Drive for 25

45. saskhabfan says:

carey can win the odd game when the team scores more then 0 goals for him.

46. idle says:

BTW, how about this for a solution to the ‘pro Leafs’ broadcasts. When two Canadian teams play, CBC, TSN etc. call the game from the perspective of the home team.

———————————–
    MusicCavity.com

47. English is not a Crime says:

CBC studios overflowing with tears as they all cry themselves to sleep now.

48. PrimeTime says:

Mini Yay!

49. Stu says:

Gill’s earning his money in the last 10min. Or earning a trade?

50. Propwash says:

There ya go.
    The world hasn’t ended yet.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

51. punkster says:

Cole giving everyone a drink of water on the bench. Awesome.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Good on the Habs winning Saturday night against the Leafs on the coast to coast CBC feed.

53. NLhabsfan says:

Some of my buddies are in for it tomorrow.. Major bragging rights.

54. habsfaninboston says:

Gill almost with the empty netter.

55. idle says:

Give it to GOMEZ for empty netter

———————————–
    MusicCavity.com

56. Mad Habber says:

Gill trying to put even more pressure on Gomez…

57. 123456 says:

was that the first time a TO player was tossed from faceoff? ? ?

58. saskhabfan says:

Don’t know if that would have counted.Looks like kessel had swatted it with his glove towards the net.

59. daveho29 says:

Like to see Price score :)

60. Stu says:

Pk’s taking the team out on the town after.

61. NLhabsfan says:

No goal but the guys are getting excited now on CBC

62. HFX-HabFan says:

Price for the empty-netter?

63. idle says:

Wooohooo. Beat the damn Leafs…

———————————–
    MusicCavity.com

64. Habbu says:

Gomez empty netter to get his confidence back

65. temekuhabs says:

Kaberle!!! Must think he still plays for the Laffs!! He’s brutal

66. 123456 says:

ok penalty to take – although nice dive on it

67. saskhabfan says:

LMAO,what a freaking dive.

68. habsfaninboston says:

Not so fast Boone.

69. scavanau says:

Its time to shine

70. doogie says:

Gomez – empty netter!!!!

* * * * * * *

I keep waiting for Shutt-Lafleur- Lemaire to jump over the boards!

Glen Healy is correct. Price is playing a very good game tonight.

72. RGM says:

Can they actually hold on to a 2-goal lead?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

73. 123456 says:

wow eller speed

74. hansolo says:

What, penalty AGAINST the Leafs?