Liveblog: Canadiens complete season’s dominance of Ottawa

MaxCole

If the Canadiens played 82 games against the Senators …
Even 20 would have helped.
An easy win that was settled early with Erik Cole’s hat trick inside of six minutes.
That’s 30 for the Canadiens’ most consistent player.

1. kempie says:

What’s wrong with Cole? 20 minutes and nothing to show for it. Hope he can shake it off & wake up for the 3rd.

2. Vid says:

It seems for every Habs player that does well, another goes to crap (even if they have played well before). Imagine if Gionta wasn’t injured and Cammalleri was playing just as well as his first habs season. With Pacioretty & Cole the habs would’ve potentially had four 30 goal scorers on this team and a couple of 20 goal scorers with a better Pleks and A. Kosts. Defense would still be suspect but imagine the results if the Habs could have more than one line scoring for even half the season.

3. topher5468 says:

Can someone get Potvin a box of tissues please, I can’t take it anymore

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• habs-hampton says:

I find him hilarious when the Sens are losing, but just plain obnoxious when they’re winning.
      I think he wants to convene a grand jury to find out why that Alfie high-stick goal was disallowed!

• Rob D says:

EVery bit as bad as a colour guy as he was good as a great NHL D-man….sheesh..and he’s further infecting Dean Brown into this endless whining about every call syndrome..It’s tiring just listening to them

• HabFab says:

Had a lot of respect for him as a player but he is in Edwards league in the booth.

Is Bourque french for Gomez?

5. JIMVINNY says:

Spezza is really lucky Emelin can’t fight.

6. L Elle says:

Sucker punch by Spezza…this game stinks

7. L Elle says:

Double roughing? LOL

Did he say f@#$k twice?

8. JIMVINNY says:

Turris starts some crap he can’t finish, abd Blunden gets the extra two? WTF?

9. Kimberly2u says:

Just wait til IQ of a toad head Neil gets out of the box

10. Bill says:

Does Ryan White – take away all the hockey skills now – remind anyone else of Bobby Clarke?

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. twilighthours says:

When your schedule has teams playing 3 times in 10 days, this is what you get.

12. Bill says:

Does anyone really think that if the Habs fight Neil and Konopka in the third it will stop them from running at the Habs?

Clue: Staubitz and White fought Konopka and Neil tonight, and the Sens are still running the Habs. Do with this clue what you will.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

I guess it would be better for them to take it and skate off the ice with their tales between their legs.

• Bill says:

I assume you mean “tails”. I also assume you are being sarcastic. You could, on the other hand, try answering the question.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

yes I do mean tails.

You want me to answer a loaded question? Your question is veiled and everyone knows it. You don’t like fighting, I get it.

• Bill says:

The question is not “veiled” at all. It’s right out there.

It’s not just that I don’t “like” fighting (which I don’t outside of armed combat for geopolitical purposes), I am questioning how useful it is as a hockey strategy. I am looking for a response to that. If the Habs have already fought the Sens’ goons (after the score was out of reach), and they are STILL running the Habs, what has the fighting accomplished?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

@Bill
            IMO fighting acts as an outlet. I would argue there is no sport (stick and ball) as intense as hockey (yes, not even rugby). Without the emotional outlet that fighting provides I argue there would be more retaliatory/revenge hits from behind, vicious two hand slashes, stealth elbows to the head etc. Notice how when Bourque was forced into fighting in the game against the Caps. (his second or third game in a Habs uni) after the fight it was done (the Caps’ required vengeance over the Bourque/Backstrom hit); Bourque was required to answer the bell, he did, and the Washington Capital/Bourque chapter was put to rest.

To answer your question specifically, what has the fighting in this game accomplished? Well, if it wasn’t White or Staubitz I would argue Konopka or Neil would be taking their frustrations out on Subban, Price, Patch etc. I’d rather have White and Staubitz take care of that nonsense than the aforementioned.

• Bill says:

Ok, still don’t agree, but I understand where you’re coming from. I don’t think there is any way to establish what you’re arguing though. The Sens have been after our skilled players all night regardless.

But I appreciate the response.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

@Bill
            cheers, I suppose a “agree to disagree” is in order.

I don’t see Staubitz fighting again tonight, seems to me he is still favouring his hand.

In games like this with Ottawa doing what they’re doing, the team will have to stand up for itself at some point, the league endorses this type of defense mechanism. We have guys paid to do that now Bill, whether we like it or not.

• Bill says:

Staubitz is fighting basically every second game, which is a pace that is not sustainable. Most NHL goons go about every four games or so. He’s fighting for a job somewhere next year, and I get that, but it’s too bad that his job is even a job. He’s trying to do too much right now.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

So if the sens are going to run the habs either way, maybe a little pushback is good,no?

• Talik Sanis says:

Obviously it means that we need an enforcer who is an even less effective hockey player than Staubitz.

• Mondou6 says:

A better question is if we didn’t have Staubitz or White on our roster, who would Neil and Konopka be gooning? Subban? Max?

That’s what was happening earlier in the year.

• Bill says:

Neil and Konopka are gooning everyone. Konopka ran Price. He doesn’t seem to mind if he has to fight someone about it, y’know?

Who on Detroit is fighting these guys?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

Who on Vancouver pushed back against Boston last year in the finals?

There are lots of ways to win. Detroit does it one way. I wish our team was like Detroit. Until it is, and until we stop getting gooned, at least we aren’t rolling over.

Small victories.

Jersey Toronto tied at 3 in third period.

14. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Leblanc & Eller should be getting more ice time

15. shootdapuck says:

Best defenders in Ottawa’s zone are the two linesmen!

16. Mondou6 says:

I can’t believe how bad our offense is this year, and yet we have two 30 goal scorers. Crazy.

If someone told me last year that we’d have two 30 goals scorers this year, I would have guessed Cammalieri and someone else, and I’d assume we had a good offense, and were in the playoffs.

17. habbernack says:

I like the “truculent line ” of White at center and Staubitz and Blunden on the wings.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

18. Bill says:

REPOST

@Habitant in Surrey

Okay I read your response. Here is my response to your response.

1) My name is actually Bill. You don’t have to refer to me as ‘Bill’ The inverted commas make me feel less real, and it gives me anxiety.

2) To the main part, I didn’t intend my comment as a “swipe” at you or anything. I like your comments and enjoy our exchanges. It was late when I read the post, and I was responding to the idea that someone criticized Timmins for being American when he is not, and blaming the Habs’ draft record on that. If I misunderstood you on that, I apologize, and it’s my bad.

3) If your main point was that the Habs don’t scout Quebec adequately, that’s different. But I disagree anyway. I’m sure the Habs have as many Q scouts as any other team (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

5) I hope this addresses your concerns! Again, if you felt my post was some kind of insult in your direction, that was certainly not my intent, and I would go further to say I would never mean to insult anyone on this site (except for that ONE guy I once called an idiot, but he really was), especially a regular and good poster like yourself.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Full Breezer 4 Life

19. RGM says:

Zack Smith is 6’2″, 212lbs. Real tough guy to go after Desharnais like that.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

20. EricInStL says:

Jeez sometimes Pierre Houde is such a pvssy He keeps bitching about scrums after the whistle. It’s like he never saw that, ever….

He should watch hockey games from the 70s….

21. L Elle says:

This after-whistle “hugging” is killing the game.

Great hustle by Paloosh there.

23. HabFab says:

Saint John and Shawinigan reeving it up tonight in their march to the Memorial Cup.

24. shootdapuck says:

Ottawa is targeting anyone less than 5’9″.

25. podbay says:

.: Wondering why Ottawa decided to play a goon game tonight. What a pathetic performance. And targeting Markov is the lowest of lows.

26. Castor says:

White-Moen-Blunden/Staubitz 4th line next year. Habs don’t take no more crap

Emelin on that last flurry in front of Price, just bulldozed right through the Senator player and took the puck. We so badly need 1-2 more of him.

28. Stu says:

Agreed on the Malone statement. Thinking the same thing earlier

29. Gerry H says:

Two thoughts:

1) That Markov setup for Campoli is why we won’t have the 30th ranked PP in the league next year.

2) I don’t think I’ve seen a single big Emelin hit since Malone went all psycho-b@tch on him.

30. Stu says:

I don’t wanna see Markov out there tonight the way this is going. Maybe some PP or if it gets close again

31. 69HABS says:

Habs stalled @ 4

Boone the PP needs a better Stream!

33. BrianSkrudland says:

Anyone else enjoying the random audio of players yapping back and forth on TSN?

I love that stuff!

34. shootdapuck says:

Was that not contact on Price.

These two ref have lost control.

35. Mondou6 says:

Now the OTT announcers are bitching AGAIN that White refused to fight their heavyweight goons Neil and Konopka.

These guys are only better than Jack Edwards.

36. Kimberly2u says:

Dont ruin your beautiful hair Ryan…lol

37. Bill says:

@Habitant in Surrey

Okay I read your response. Here is my response to your response.

1) My name is actually Bill. You don’t have to refer to me as ‘Bill’ :) The inverted commas make me feel less real, and it gives me anxiety.

4) If I object to anything in your post, it is that you state that others can misquote, but I should not be allowed to “get away with it”. Hahaha, why shouldn’t I be allowed to get away with it when everyone else does?? And furthermore, I didn’t QUOTE you, much less misquote you! :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

38. matt jordan says:

LOL Love the poll, and its results

39. 69HABS says:

Why can’t Molson hire some hot chicks to clear the ice during Tv time outs?

40. habstrinifan says:

Time for Boone’s infamous line.. “Next goal wins” or is it a more tepid “Next goal is big”?

41. Mondou6 says:

I’m stuck watching the Ottawa feed, it’s brutal.

Couple of relentless shills crying over every call on Ottawa and badmouthing every MTL does.

Even if I was a fan of OTT, I couldn’t stand to listen to these two idiots.

• scrowe21 says:

Same. It is unbelievable. Non stop whining.

• Rob D says:

Many OTTAWA fans would agree with you. Potvin sucks crap…period and Dean has decided whining over EVERY call against the Sens will curry him favour and get him a job with that organization. The call isn’t coming and he’s getting desparate since the CBC regards him as a last resort call for play by play duties.

42. Trisomy 21 says:

Wow, I wondered if Cole broke a record for the fastest hat trick – not even close.
    21 seconds by Bill Mosienko. WTF

43. habstrinifan says:

Just as I was typing they called it off… Phew!

44. ffenliv says:

Well, I think we’re even now in the ‘could have been called good goals’ category.

45. shootdapuck says:

The stink of panic is again palpable!

46. habstrinifan says:

NO Goal! Esy call!

47. Captain aHab says:

Wanna bt that one will count?

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

48. twilighthours says:

Anyone else getting the “synthetic ice rink endorsed by Georges Laraque” ad on the page?

Synthetic ice, synthetic player.

It appears a top notch Nascar Pit Crew team may have done repairs to the Tank.

50. Habfan10912 says:

Could the Habs blow this?

51. 69HABS says:

Well it’s a goal then!

52. 69HABS says:

Markov is horrible tonight!

53. habstrinifan says:

Is it ok to say hope we WIN and (gasp gasp gasp LAFFS win( choke choke ).

U know the TANK thing and all!

54. JIMVINNY says:

according to nhl.com game report, 10 minute misconducts to foligno and subban, 5 to white, 5+2 to neil.

edit – 10 more to neil.

55. immortalhab says:

All Neal wants from Whitey is his two front teeth . . . his two front teeth . . .

Not sure what the consequence is for a Sen pushing an official. I lost my chart … I know for a Hab it’s a season suspension … and a Bruin it’s a bottle of wine from the league commissioner.

56. Sal from the Hammer says:

Next year I want a coach that yells at the lousy reffing in this league, like 90% of other coaches…Betwee JM and RC, these crappy refs get away with murder!!! Yelling at refs works….

57. habstrinifan says:

We still have Blunden.. time for him to step up in the toughness dept. It’s gonna get rough.. cant leave it all to White. And you know Subban is a marked man!

58. Captain aHab says:

Toss Neil, Knopka, Staubitz and White and the game will be a lot tamer afterwards.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

59. Roy93 says:

Who wants to bet the Habs blow a 4-1 lead. 2 more periods to go, you know it’s coming.

60. ogilthorpe says:

Staubitz and White……. Can’t wait to play Boston next year……….

61. boing007 says:

Neil’s out for five. That’s good.

Richard R

62. Mark C says:

Chris Neil is a human garbage can.

63. habstrinifan says:

Gonna be a rough 2nd period. Is Staubitz gone for the game?

64. Miltie01 says:

Neil should get tossed for that

65. JIMVINNY says:

If Neil isn’t out of the game for that, I’m going to scream.

66. 69HABS says:

Take off your own helmet Neal, you ugly Ape!

4-1 after 1 period, the worst lead in hockey?

68. habs-fan-84 says:

oh ya, the next 2 periods are going to be fun :)

69. Habsolutely says:

This game could get nasty.

70. Captain aHab says:

If they manage to lose this game, they’ll REALLY deserve that lottery pick.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

71. L Elle says:

Neilanderthal

72. boing007 says:

Bourque did nothing to stop that goal. Zero.

Richard R

73. 69HABS says:

The Classic Montreal D again!

74. ogilthorpe says:

If you saw Bishop, he was shaking HIS head which means HE thought it was in but apparently Toronto thought otherwise……