Eight in a row for the Bolts

RolosonMay14

Lightning goalie Dwayne Roloson. Phil Carpenter, The Gazette

The Boston Bruins have lost home-ice advantage.
But that’s  happened before this spring, right?

Tampa Bay scored three times in 85 seconds to take a first-period lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

And the one and only MAB blasted the third-period power-play goal that killed all hopes of a Boston comeback.

Tampa Bay is undefeated with Bergeron in the lineup during the playoffs.

Dwayne Roloson has won eight consecutive playoff games – first 41-year-old goaltender to do so since Jacques Plante in 1969.

And the Bruins end a 5-2 game two men short for trying to goon Victor Hedman.

As my man Dave Stubbs Tweeted: Horton & Lucic vs Hedman & Moore. Boychuk & Campbell vs Spacek & Pyatt. Crap now, crap then

Classy team.

And just like they were against the Canadiens, Bruins hopeless on the PP: 0-for-4.

1. Keith says:

MAB,MAB,MAB World!!!

2. _Habsoloutly_ says:

hahahahahhahaha. MAB!!!!

3. Propwash says:

MAB!!!!

4. Chorske says:

Boychuk is an eejit. And RDS guys think Vinny should get a penalty for… for what?

5. JayBee says:

Man, if the lighting win the cup….the city of Montreal might just explode. We’ll be hearing about Boucher all summer.

• That’s ok, at least he’ll have earned it. I mean if he wins the cup in his first pro year he deserves to be talked about.

• HardHabits says:

We’ll be hearing about how we should have kept him instead of Martin.

• Who cares? We’ve been hearing it all year, nothing new.

• Chorske says:

And we would have been wrong.

We already had Carbo on salary, and JM signed long term. You’re going to fire JM, have TWO ex coaches on the payroll, and hand the most high-pressure job in the NHL to a guy with no NHL experience– not even as an assistant?

Not to take anything away from Boucher, but he has been parachuted into a situation where he has killer firepower in Vinny, st louis, stamkos, hedman etc, in a place where there is ZERO hockey pressure. He gets props as a motivator and for getting his guys ready for the playoffs. But he knew enough to turn down the Columbus opportunity (a thankless job) to take this one. Smart guy indeed.

• JayBee says:

You can spin it all you want. Gainey has made some big blunders. I won’t blame him with the Boucher thing…but if he signs Lemaire…then Boucher is our head coach this season. The fact that Gauthier was named the GM without even talking to Yzerman (who would have taken the job) is a little disappointing but expected from management who makes mistake after mistake.

• Mike Boone says:

Absolutely right

Mike Boone
            Hockey Inside/Out blogger
            Gazette City columnist
            mboone@montrealgazette.com

• habstrinifan says:

Well get ready for it.. especially from team 990 Melnick LOL. And you know something.. there should be a post-discussion cause there were numerous signs that HABS needed to make some bold and imgainative adjustments to keep Boucher.

We cant keep dismissing every bad or non-decision from the HABS as ‘luck of the draw’ or inevitable.

• Chorske says:

I don’t get this we-let-Boucher-go horseshite. The Habs organization handpicked this guy, groomed him, gave him his shot. They already had a coach signed to a long term contract with the big team, who had just brought the team to the third round. Boucher got an offer, the Habs did the classy thing and did not stand in his way. He had made the most of his opportunity. I fail to see how this detracts from the Habs. If anything, it proves that they groom excellent people within the organization.

• habstrinifan says:

You say the habs organization ‘hand picked and groomed this guy’.

If the entire hockey world was lauding this guy who was in your organization whom you handpicked, wouldnt it have been in the organizations long term interest to ensure that Boucher stayed in Montreal…. one way or another. There were many alternatives to letting him go.

“They already had a coach signed to a long term contract with the big team, who had just brought the team to the third round”.

Any true evaluation of that season and how we squeaked into the playoffs, while giving some credit to JM, would show that it was a once-in-a-lifetime goaltending performance which was mainly responsible for the playoff run.

It is the same false satisfaction I am hearing from so many fans who seem gaudy that we took Boston to 7 games this year as they deem it a successful year. Goody Goody! We made the pundits who predicted we would be dismantled by Bruins eat crow. Now we can sit back and watch the for another year.

When all is said and done, this team results wise, regressed. And everyone seems happy.

Realistically this season was marked by many long losing streaks which the coach could never bring to a halt. In fact the losses in game 3,4 and 5 were just another losing streak that matched the pattern of the entire season.

When you take into account the on-ice play during the past two years, the mediocre history of JM re big games and big success, and the consensus that developed around the league re Boucher’s coaching upside… Bocher’s loss should have been avoided.

• Chorske says:

Wow, where to begin? How many factual inaccuracies can one person correct on six glasses of wine and with a cranky 10 month old cutting teeth randomly hitting keys?

The ONLY alternative to letting him go was to block other teams from discussing things with him- which simply does not happen on ANY team at this level, because none of the teams want to be pegged as roadblocks. We have a head coach in JM, a great assistant in Muller.

As for regression, I’m calling balls to that. Our record was better this year than last year, despite losing almost all of our defensive corps and a key budding power forward. We positively coasted into the playoffs.

I think you meant “giddy”.

As for JMs record in big games, as far as I am concerned anyone who was paying attention will agree that JM outcoached Julien by a light year. It wasn’t even close. But too many injuries are too many injuries. PLEASE. Look at all the guys getting bits sewn back on in the off season, Eller being the most recent. Picture the whole Habs team, healthy, playing those Boston chumps. NO WAY that series goes FIVE games even. Pff.

Call me an apologist or a polyanna if you will. But I think that anyone who thinks Boucher would have done better under the same circumstances is on CRACK.

6. Propwash says:

Bob Cole sounds kinda upset that Boston can’t get anything going.

7. Roloson is a better goaltender than Thomas.

The way to defend/attack against the flying T is to use the flying X.

In layman’s terms, the way to defend/attack against the 1-3-1 is to use the 2-1-2.

Think about it!

9. Chorske says:

I wish Andrei Kostitsyn was more like Marty St Louis.

10. habstrinifan says:

I dont think enough has been made of Vincent Lecavalier’s ‘transformation’ under Boucher/Yzerman. This reminds me of Yzerman’s transformation under Bowman.

One reason why I picked Tampa as cup winners.

11. Propwash says:

Good things happen when a team wins the faceoffs, Habs definitely need to address this for next season.

12. Chorske says:

The Boston crowd is only loud when they are winning. Right now, it sounds like Wednesday night in Atlanta in there.

13. habstrinifan says:

Dont see Boucher doing the JM lockdown Boone. He tried that in last year’s AHL playoffs game 7 and blew the game. I followed the play by play of that game and even the announcer remarked on it.

14. Exit716 says:

More Twitter fun..This from Mitch Melnick…

HunterZThompson Mitch Melnick
    Brad Marchand is a much bigger douche than PK Subban.

Geez, Mitch…You’re implying PK is a douche?

15. HotHabs says:

Milbury, rare as it is, made a valid point about not playing Datsyuk in the final minute

16. Am I seeing things or did Mike Milbury just try to tell Mike Babcock how to coach?

17. HotHabs says:

Apparently Recchi has his own connections in the medical field, especially neurology!

18. Ayan_SB says:

I’m guessing Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont won’t be writing another indignant column about the Boston Bruins diving, the same way he wrote about PK Subban and the Habs.

19. HotHabs says:

3 biggest ” tools” in the Boston toolbox? Anyone?

20. Everlasting1 says:

When is the league going to make adjustments to the skate blades to prevent stick blades from inadvertently getting lodged in them?

——————————————————————-
    Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

21. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Linesman and the Refs giving Bawston all the breaks. Sound familiar? Bush league NHL at work.

22. Guys, listen, the mighty Boston Bruins do NOT dive, ok? Only dirty, little despicable hockey teams like our Habs do things like that. The Bruins play the right way all the time and never break the rules or cross the line. They’re god’s team don’tcha know?

23. Exit716 says:

I’ve had a big crush on that Asian lady behind the Bruins bench for years…It makes looking at Claude Julien barely tolerable….

24. Exit716 says:

Wow. Now after seeing Marchand smash his stick like an idiot, I see why he hates PK. PK must taunt him with big words….that he can’t understand. I hope Marchand knows enough to pay his cable bill on time.

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Lucic and Kaberle utterly useless so far in the post-season.

26. Exit716 says:

Geez, Recchi is going bald. I wonder if Dr. Mulder can recommend a good hair transplant surgeon for him?

27. HotHabs says:

Lucic is such a tool. Love it!!!

28. habstrinifan says:

Best MAB has looked in any game I have seen him. What’s up?

29. Gindan69 says:

I’ll give him a 9.5 on that dive

30. Exit716 says:

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

31. Propwash says:

Downie robbed!

32. habstrinifan says:

Just joined in. Still in sourpuss habs fan frame of mind but the hockey is good.

33. arcosenate says:

you can see boston misses bergeron pretty bad, faceoffs have been weak for them. and now a penalty on one. maybe the habs should get a faceoff guy for next season, haven’t had one since yanic perreault.

34. Mullie01 says:

I can’t get enough of the Cam Neely PO’ed shots. It’s the “little” things I guess…

35. Propwash says:

Lol, good on Malone for trying to bail out Brewer.

36. Exit716 says:

@Boone…They’re facing an opponent that plays a similar style to Montreal’s. Tampa has more depth, three lines going and are healthy. The only question mark they have is the geezer in net.

37. Exit716 says:

Must be a stiff breeze in the Gahden tonight….
    Bruins falling left, right and centre at the slightest hint of contact.

38. LL says:

All this would be a lot more fun if the Habs were playing. sighh

39. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I wonder if Jack Edwards is saying anything about that massive dive by Boston?

40. Keith says:

Downie can’t help being what he is.

41. Gindan69 says:

Guess we will be hearing plenty of whining about diving from Boston tomorrow.

42. And the refs blow an icing call to favour the Bruins, how surprising.

43. Chorske says:

Boston D is so disorganized. I can’t believe these chumps swept Philly. Or rather, I can’t believe those chumps in Philly got swept by these clods.

44. JD_ says:

Poor Bob.

A likely paltry Canadian audience tonight and a game almost over in the first.

Broonz finally score and he goes full-out Count Floyd desperately tryin’ to pump up another upcomin’ dud on Monster Chiller Horror Theater.

“Stay tuned, folks! Aaaaaaooooooooooooo!!!”

45. HabFarmer says:

Hey Exit716, I don’t think that’s a Pit Bull, it’s a Bull Terrier. I think there’s a difference.

46. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m not even watching NESN, and I can hear Edwards screaming, “DIVER, Diver, the Boston Tea Party, Diver!” lol

47. Exit716 says:

Bury one here boys.

48. Thenumber11 says:

Reading a bunch of TB articles today, watching the game… A thought reoccurred to me (I chuckled at the thought around trade deadline) that it would be scary/entertaining/slightly awesome if Brad Richards goes back to Tampa Bay. With only 11 players under contract for next year and 22.8M in capspace… and Richards likely to make no more than his current contract on a yearly basis, he can fit for sure. Stamkos, Bergenheim, Brewer, and maybe Gagne are their biggest U/RFAs to fit into their payroll.
    He wont be coming to MTL, so TB sounds like a nice place to me for Richards. :P

49. pmaraw says:

someone needs to break marchands nose already

50. Toe Blake says:

Sir Alex Ferguson is the closest thing to me since me!!!

51. Toe Blake says:

Is Manchester United great or what? One game against Barcelona for all the marbles in Europe. I can’t wait!

52. Exit716 says:

Is that Mad Dog Vachon on the Lightning bench?

53. Chorske says:

This would be far more interesting if it were Habs vs Bolts. *sigh*

54. Toe Blake says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Brian Kilrea used to wear a leather jacket behind the bench like Bep Guidolin.

55. pmaraw says:

oh my, just found out about the boogey man, rest in peace derek, and best wishes to your family

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

I shake my head in disbelief that we let Dominic Moore go. (as well as Guy Boucher)

57. Exit716 says:

Cherry trying to pretend that he is somehow connected to the Mississauga St. Mikes.

58. Exit716 says:

When Ontario decided to ban Pitbulls where was Don Cherry?
    On the sidelines, keeping his overpaid yap shut. Mind you, he shows a pitbull lunging at people during his opening segment…What a clown.

59. Everlasting1 says:

Good period of hockey. This’ll be a great series. I can get behind this southern version of the Habs.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

60. Toe Blake says:

@Boone: They should have asked Cherry to add 1+3+1. It was his downfall!

61. Exit716 says:

“Sensational”
    That was a cruddy goal by Roloson.

62. NLhabsfan says:

I watch RDS even though I can’t understand French:)

63. Exit716 says:

Tough day so far for PK haters…
    Mike Richards had his cable cut off for not paying the bills….
    Tim “Floppy” Thomas gets scorched for three goals in the first period.

64. NLhabsfan says:

Turning over to another channel can’t watch Cherry

65. Toe Blake says:

Would a Bolts/Canucks final be the longest distance over which the Cup has been contested?

• HabsFanInTampa says:

I think the longest, distance wise, was Montreal vs Kings in ’93

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Mapquest.com states Vancouver to Tampa is 3240.46 miles
      Montreal to Los Angeles is 2851.48 miles.
      So yes, I believe it would be the farthest distance for a cup final if it were to become Tampa vs. Canucks.

66. arcosenate says:

T Bay has been pretty sketchy in their own end but they’re doing fine in the bruins end!

67. Keith says:

CBC definitely gooin fans.

68. smiler2729 says:

Reality check #1… oh yeah, Dwayne Roloson ain’t Carey Price.

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

69. HabsFanInTampa says:

MAB is such a liability on defence.

Bob Cole was sounding all depressed and then woke up with that Boston goal. Is it any clearer which team he cheers for.

Tyler Seguin. *sigh* Why can’t the Habs have one of those?

• smiler2729 says:

Leave Bob alone, I like him, and truth be told, he doesn’t know who the hell he’s rooting for cuz he doesn’t really know who the hell is out there…

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

71. zozotheclown says:

Dammit, now we have a game. I’m going to go ahead and blame MAB, he wasn’t the D that got dangled, but he was on the ice lol.

Leaf fans can enjoy that goal!

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

73. Toe Blake says:

Seguin denuded the Bolts d-man on that play. Good on him.