Winless!

TomasPlekanec

Fire the coach!

Trade that lousy goalie!!

Fuhgedaboudit!!!

Erik Cole put the  6-3 loss in perspective, pointing out “we were working out the kinks … it’s been a while.”

“It’s the preseason,” Cole added, “but we gotta work. We have to do better things, up the tempo, up the physicality.”

Jacques Martin had praise for Alexei Yemelin, Raphael Diaz and Jarred Tinordi, who, the coach said, “got stronger as the game went on. He’s a big kid who uses his reach.”

Negatives?

Martin said the penalty kill needed work, after ceding two goals to Dallas.

Martin said the line of Tomas Plekanec, Michael Cammalleri and Erik Cole were “not at their best”, noting the trio were outplayed on several shifts by Mike Ribeiro’s line.

“We weren’t on the puck enough, especially early the game,” Martin said. “We gave them a lot of their goals.”

Martin also faulted poor backtracking by his forwards, which resulted in Stars being left along in front of Carey Price and Nathan Lawson.

“There were a lot of mistakes,” Martin said. “But this is a learning curve.”

STATS that jump out:

Raphael Diaz had four shots on goal to lead the Canadiens but was minus-3

Mike Blunden had six hits

Yannick Weber played 25:54; none of his five shots were on net

Tomas Plekanec was 6-14 on faceoffs, Brian Willsie 2-7, Andreas Engqvist 0-5

Alexei Yemelin had five hits, but the only memorable one was on Francis Wathier

Carey Price gave up 4 goals on 13 shots

Michael Ryder had four hits

Hal Gill played only 14:55, low on the D corps

Dany Masse, Alain Berger and Ian Schultz were the only Canadiens who played less than 10 minutes

Yemelin, really? I thought he was inadequate at best. Whatevs. What a freaking boring game.

Hard Hab Hits™

Tonight’s game was about:

a) seeing if there was chemistry between Cole-Plex-Cammy;

I didn’t see much of it. I am thinking Plex should be what he is, a poor man’s Datsyuk. Let him be a defensive centre and put AK on his side. If Cole is to play with him it’d be a new role for which IMHHO would mean less points production. Habs need a power forward #1 centre for Cole. However, the Habs have options and that line could click. But it didn’t much tonight.

b) seeing where the D was with Yemelin, Weber, Diaz and Tinordi;

Yemelin skated well and looked good. Made some crisp passes. Weber too. Diaz not so much. Tinordi will make the NHL guaranteed but give him time to develop properly. He held his own out there and never looked out of place. Gill on the other hand…

c) seeing if Carey Price would be in form;

I am chill.

d) seeing who among the slotted regulars would live up to the billing;

Desharnais looks like he better watch his back because I sense a Trotter galloping fast to catch up on him.

e) seeing who among the other Hamilton bound players had a shot;

apart from Trotter not much. Although, apart from his appearances in the face-off circle I liked Engqvist. Habs need a face-off coach. Palushaj looks like he’s a career AHLer.

3. Neutral says:

I’m waiting for when the real Habs take to the ice, let the kids have fun and learn from the pro’s, other than looking at our future this don’t mean anything. JM will sort it out, gotta have faith.

4. scrowe21 says:

• Raphael Diaz had four shots on goal to lead the Canadiens but was minus-3

2 of that minus 3 I blame on Woywitka and Price.. There was that one goal where Diaz got caught out of position and couldn’t block the pass. Overall a good performance by Diaz.

• Tomas Plekanec was 6-14 on faceoffs, Brian Willsie 2-7, Andreas Engqvist 0-5

^ Thats brutal. When Pleks gets thrown out of a face off, it must count as a loss? Seems like he got thrown out everytime.. They need improvement in faceoffs, big time.

5. wow, first pre-season game and all the usual trolls and dimwits are out in full force. gotta love HIO

I am not surprised by the half assed effort tonight. The Habs? No. The HIO commentariat!!

The only two D that have a shot at this roster is #8 Woywitka and 74 Yemelin. Dias will be a star for Hamilton this year.

Up front, I did not see a new top 12 player that will make the roster, except for Cole of coarse. Hamilton will be a team to reckon with in the AHL this year.

Disappointed in Price’s effort tonight. Along with a few other vets that are just pacing themselves. Plekanec can not win a face off yet, and he gets thrown out 50%. I know it is early and just pond hockey right now, BUT

Lets see what the next group can do tomorrow night. See ya here!

8. Jdub1985 says:

LOL … deja vu, wasn’t it exactly the same last year, Price debuts the preseason with a stinker … and he told the fans to chill.

Only Montreal can rally 3 goals and give you hope only to lose anyway, professional heartbreakers ;)

9. Everlasting1 says:

Needless to say, Price was brutal.

Solid performance by Blues’ Madd Dagger tonight with a goal, 4 shots, and one of his patented breakaways. Backes and Langenbrunner each with a pair of helpers, and G Brian Elliot earning a splendid 9.55 sv% throughout.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• DEANDALLEY says:

So, what’s your point on Price?

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

• Everlasting1 says:

He had a bad game in pre-season?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Jdub1985 says:

Here we go … say Price and bad in the same sentence on this blog and off with your head … even if its the truth. Look forward to some fresh squeezed Koolaid

• Everlasting1 says:

Spiked for some.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• SeriousFan09 says:

If he wasn’t a hopeless Halak fan that came up just to spew nonsense he wouldn’t get this much flak, but he is, so he does.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Everlasting1 says:

I’ve always stated to go with the hot goalie. I have a team mentality. I get flak as a non Habs fan here, many take exception. The world keeps on spinnin’..

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• SeriousFan09 says:

Apparently still needs to be said:

Price completely outplayed Halak last year.
      No one here but you cares about the Blues.
      You know a game is meaningless if Brian Elliott has a .955%

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• saskhabfan says:

On the bright side for the blues,they might have finally found themselves a real #1 goalie in elliot. If this keeps up halak will have his agent making trade demands through the media again.

• Everlasting1 says:

Outplayed? I didn’t see it that way.
        Chill Serious1.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• SeriousFan09 says:

More wins, shutouts, better save and GAA numbers, carried his team more effectively and stood up to the workload of a No. 1 goalie.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Everlasting1 says:

I won’t be lured to a goalie debate in pre-season, nor re-hash last year. You’ve heard my take on it and ones’ pov.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• OneTimer says:

I call BS on that. You came here EXACTLY to rehash a (one YEAR old) goalie debate, just like you do every time. Now don’t just fade back into the shadows like you usually do, answer SF09’s arguments like a big boy.

Come on! You can do it! (just like encouraging a baby’s first steps) :)

• Everlasting1 says:

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

10. DEANDALLEY says:

Price did get an Assist right?

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

11. scrowe21 says:

Woywitka was incredibly bad except for that one shot.

Yemelin and Diaz look very promising.

We took Tinordi in the first round because of his size, but he’s really not even that big.. NO way he is 6’7. I don’t see him turning out to be anything better than a smaller faster Ryan O’Byrne.

AK was great.. wish we locked him up long term, hes a goner this year.

Pleks gets thrown out of EVERY face off.

Lol Price.

Berger was a let down..

Blah.. looking forward to Gallagher,Avtsin and Beaulieu.

12. Gerry H says:

There were two guys to watch tonight. The only two likely additions to the roster. Cole was as advertised. He used his speed. He used his body. He showed some very cool puck sense, with lots of nice little touch passes. And he potted one. What more could we ask? (OK, the chemistry with Plekanec and Cammalleri is a work in progress.)

Yemelin looks to me like he is going to be a third pair starter. Despite a few nervous looking fumbles, I thought he looked far more effective as a puck handler and mover than advertised. And he delivered the much-anticipated hit at the end of the game.

So far, so good.

13. ooder says:

only thing that kind of annoys me is that Pleks doesn’t seem to have improved on face offs… like at all
    went 4 – 10 in the first period

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

14. jo_maka says:

Our swiss knives were sharp, I still want to see more from Berger though. Palushaj might have missed a nice opportunity.

Can’t believe they’re already throwin AK under the bus on RDS. They even found a way to say Gorges scored for some reason……

15. habpunk says:

well after 1 preseason game, I’m worried about our D.
    if Markov doesn’t play much, habs D is actually worse than last year.
    Diaz and Yemelin= not aa good as Hamrlik and Wisznewski.
    we still need more toughness, and need another center who can win faceoffs.

16. kempie says:

So, I guess it’s Gallagher, Beaulieu, Bournival & Nattinen tomorrow with Patches, Gorges & Gio? That should be fun.

17. Talik Sanis says:

Yemelin was even more impressive than I thought he would be. Positioning issues plague his game, but that was to be expected. Heck, I thought it would take him forty games to take a top four spot; after tonight, I’m optimistic that it will take far less time for him to move up.

After seeing him in the KHL for about ten games, I though that his puck handling skills and outlet passes were very weak, but he looked like a competent two-way defenceman tonight; I hope that he keeps it up.

Diaz looked poor. I didn’t expect much, and he didn’t provide much. To me, he looked small every shift. Good with the puck; atrocious without it.

Andrei Kostitsyn was “on” again tonight. If he keeps playing like this, he’ll force Martin to put him into the top six. I hope that his demotion last year prodded him in the right direction.

Glad that’s over with. I am still reeling from the $4.25 hot dogs.

19. homerbowen says:

Saw little from the Habs that excited me. Same old, same old.

20. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Not much of a game, but interesting for the young guys. Diaz has potential, and I liked both Emelin and Yemilin (the twins).
    Lots of nerves though – I think it’ll be interesting to see a few more of these expensive practices.

21. slychard says:

Spur of the moment crash…spur of the moment. But we not be a bruins site so I should be safeo

22. kempie says:

Was it just me or did Woywitka get like a TON of TOI tonight?

23. SeriousFan09 says:

- Tinordi showing some growth over last year, but the OHL is still the place for him.
    – Trotter clearly grew with a year from the KHL.
    – Palushaj, kid seems to be afraid of contact, one thing if you’re losing your battles, he is avoiding them.
    – Yemelin’s an NHL-ready defencemen in this man’s opinion.
    – Diaz will need to hang around in the Hammer for a bit.
    – Extremely pleased Cole blends with Cammalleri and Plekanec, whether we want to admit or not we need that line to work out if we want a strong season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

24. AK_PK_Usay says:

Pretty entertaining game, the youngsters held their own, Diaz, Yemelin and Tinordi and Webber. No8 was kinda awfull in his own zone and Gill was asleep.

Price played well, the D had 0 cohesion during that 1st period. Of course Im sure there are plenty of people that hit that panic button so hard its filing for assault.

Have to say, besides the 4 regulars, Plek, AK, Cole and Cammy, none of the forwards looked too great. Looking forward to seeing galagher.

25. Muckbringer says:

grats to the stars first road sellout win! when the league retracts, well take ryder league min
    … if hell detail careys whip once a week.
    enjoy for now dallas.

(do you think they here me?)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
    — John Quincy Adams

26. scrowe21 says:

2P 11:00 Cammalleri’s been good
    by mboone 10:42 PM

No, he was invisible. Except for one play where he broke up a pass.. thats it.

27. Preseason reminds me why I don’t pay for preseason.

28. DEANDALLEY says:

AND I waited 145 LONG days for tonight …. LOL

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

29. durocher says:

Heroes: AK46, Yemelin, Diaz, Weber, Cole, Woywitka
    Zeroes: Gill, Tinordi, Blunden, Berger, Masse, Engvist

30. jo_maka says:

Ok, minus 3 for Diaz but the kid is good. Stash him with the Dogs, show him around after trade deadline after we bundle a meh D for a big fish.

31. Ribeiro looks so friggin’ proud of his skinny assed, diving self.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

32. DEANDALLEY says:

The Habs 3 goals were great goals. The Stars 6 – not so great … LOL

It is all for nothing if we don’t win the Stanley Cup!

33. slychard says:

Habsolutely absolutely. We be quite hab friendly. You call me.305 432-1449

34. punkster says:

About time for the Pelican to comment in 5-4-3-2…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Pelicans says:

After that count down why not….. Price su…… No, you will all cry then puke. Have a great night on your ‘bird’ shaped pillows.

Halak, White and Muller for life!

35. Definitely need Paul Guastad.

36. durocher says:

Diaz got caught out of position, Cole mailed in the backcheck

37. SKHab says:

How can goals against still be so painful, even in the preseason games?

38. Muckbringer says:

well we played there best, aint shook
    — John Quincy Adams

Is there a stat for centre’s most often thrown out of the face of circle, have to believe Plex is up there

40. jo_maka says:

I’d like to see Diaz paired with Yemelin. Gill is still asleep

41. Chorske says:

K boys, I need to be up before 6 tomorrow. I think this is it for me. GHG, and see you tomorrow for the postmortem. Gnight y’all.

42. jo_maka says:

Yemmy’s hello world ?

43. JasonM says:

There’s the hit.

44. jo_maka says:

Diaz is a slick fox. This kid is good !:)

45. carolinahab says:

Signing in from Hollywood Florida. Just moved here from Carolina. Will I be able to pick up Center Ice on cable in south Florida? Anyone see a scumbag wearing a Canadiens jersey signed by Muller and Dryden it belongs to me stolen from my car during game 1 against Boston last year. Bless Muller for agreeing to sign a new jersey for me.

Kick Bruin butt his year boys!!!

46. Chorske says:

Is it fatigue? I’m seeing a lot of Sergeiesque cherrypicking attempts- none of which are working. Are we about to see JM pull out the infamous WTFAREYOUDOINGOVERTHERETHISISNOTOURSYSTEM!! ?

47. slychard says:

My friend already bought tics for panther hab game this season. I get chills everytime I go there hearing the crowd sing along louder to the Canadian anthem to the US. Quite moving. A panthers game is a home away from home

48. Muckbringer says:

we aint done by damn sight. we have the advantage of momentum when we get one, even if there is only 2bucks left

49. Propwash says:

Woywitka has quite a shot

50. the Jets game is pretty entertaining….

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

51. Chorske says:

I’m trying to decide if Weber is turning over the puck a lot because he is making risky plays, or if it’s just a side effect of all the ice time he’s getting. But it seems to me I am hearing Weber and revirement together a lot tonight.

52. ABHabsfan says:

OK who’s #80?

53. Muckbringer says:

calls have really been in our favor tonight. maybe because they know there will be no SUBBANG!!

— John Quincy Adams

54. Un Canadien errant says:

I write this during the midpoint of the second period, as both teams are warming up their backup goaltenders.

The Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole line is dominant, but so is the Ryder-Ribeiro-Morrow line. It’s not hard to see that there is still quite a jump between Junior Major and AHL players and established NHL’ers.

All the players that we fall in love with during the summer and early training camp and hope they can be a pleasant surprise during the season (Brock Trotter, Mike Blunden, Alain Berger) are all showing a need for seasoning in the minors. Aaron Palushaj isn’t remarkable. Jared Tinordi is as advertised, a safe keep-it-simple defenceman.

Andrei Kostistsyn’s eruption in the second period will not serve to sate the appetite of Canadiens’s fans. If anything, it will only increase the pressure on him to maintain that superior level of performance.

Ian Schultz’s fight with Mr. Wathier is the kind of nonsense that could easily be eliminated from the game of hockey.

Yanick Weber and Raphael Diaz are an intriguing defence pairing, like candy for hypoglycemic Montreal fans. Weber is creative but can make mistakes, but has shown the mobility to minimize the damage when he goofs.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

55. OneTimer says:

First Chantal spotting of the season!

56. Kinda thought I woulda seen Yemelin try to demolish someone by now but overall I like his game so far. Smart player.

57. LL says:

All that’s missing tonight is the Price-goes-down-too-early speech, everything else is covered.

58. Chorske says:

I like how the RDS guys aren’t total homers. They give props to the Stars players when it is due.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I stopped watching hockey in English years ago. The francophone guys have their moments, but over-all, the quality of their work is worlds ahead of their anglo counterparts.

59. CharlieHodgeFan says:

This is actually a tough town to be a troll in. Which bridge is safe to live under?

60. slychard says:

Chorske I’m in key west… The end of it all.lol. Hey Boone didn’t you call me out last week for calling a poster an imbecile? You still be the best in my book but… No double standards…OK?

61. Chorske says:

Holy crap re: TOI for Weber. That is the biggest vote of confidence JM ever gives. He ain’t cuddly, he ain’t your buddy, but by GAWD he’ll play you to the bone if you follow his system.

62. habsfan0 says:

One good thing about preseason. I couldn’t give a rat’s derriere if Price allowed (another) OT goal tonight.

63. Muckbringer says:

why the hell not skilzy?

— John Quincy Adams

64. savethepuck says:

Guys you have to stop replying to the troll. Attention seeking internet trolls are looking for replies so they can feel they are noticed. The guy types the stupidest thing I read all day and gets 100 replies. Intelligent comments get ignored. Ignore the trolls, after a few unanswerde comments, they go away and we don’t have to scroll thru their crap to read something interesting.

65. OneTimer says:

Why is that clown Brunet hating on Weber? I thought he’s been good tonight.

66. Propwash says:

Slap Shot is on TSN

67. ABHabsfan says:

Quite the competition coming for the one available d spot. Gotta like the size of Woywitka. Diaz and Yemilin are also playing well for their first time in the NHL. Really like the speed of Trotter as well.

68. aversglay says:

Okay, we should start booing Price in the pre-season. After all, it worked last year, right?

69. Chris Higgins says:

Nothin’ better than a little preseason dildonica!

70. HabsFanMTL says:

anyone else like this Bartlett guy?

71. RDS’s intermissions make me happy there’s a radio option. Brunet? GTFO.

72. slychard says:

Living in Florida and working late I’ve watched hab games on my iPhone. Tonight? Total scrap. Most useless app ever. Justintv is the biggest scrap fraud ever. Why can I not win the lotto and leave this sunny state!!!! God please, help me back to Quebec and poutine central. Egad

73. Pelicans says:

Price not only has no pride but seeing how he shows no emotion, ever, ever, he should go play for Toronto where hockey hasn’t mattered for over 40 yes. Even Lawson gave a guy a slash in the crease.

Halak, White and Muller for life!

74. Muckbringer says:

why do i feel like we have more in the tank?

75. ooder says:

Fortunus… best last name of the night

——————