The Canadiens look ready for the opener

Montreal Canadiens' Brian Gionta scores a goal on Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Mathieu Garon during the first period of play of their NHL pre-season game at the Colisee in Quebec City

POSTGAME AUDIO from Pat Hickey in QC: Steve Yzerman (between periods) | Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin

PREGAME AUDIO: Tom Pyatt | Guy Boucher | Mike Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin

Unplug the panic button.

Five sleeps till the opener.

Playing without Andrei Markov, Lars Eller, Ryan White and Travis Moen, the Canadiens looked great against a very good team, romping to a 5-1 win.

Carey Price is ready for the regular season.

So is Scott Gomez.

The team looked great in all aspects of the game … including courage, as evidenced by Josh Gorges going after the thug Ryan Malone, who tried to decapitate Chris Campoli

1. petefleet says:

Here’s how I saw it tonight:

1. Gomer is a beast. If he plays like that for the regular season, he’ll lead the team in scoring.
    2. Weber looked really good on the 4th line, the whole line looked good for the most part
    3. Gorges is all guts
    4. Cole scored but he’s not working hard enough, maybe a night on the 3rd line will get him the message
    5. PK is awesome, sweet moves with 30 seconds left
    6. PP looked good
    7. PK looked good
    8. Price looked good for his limited participation
    9. Welcome aboard Diaz, looked great, has the whole preseason. Yemelin who?

******************************************
    I didn’t say you were lying, I said I don’t believe you.

***Habs Forever***

2. AH says:

WHEW! I made it back! Posted my last comment after the Habs got eliminated last year and said I was out until October. Of course I did read all off season and as usual the commentaraiat were in “fine form”. I was hoping for an offseason blockbuster trade of Gomez, but from what I’ve read tonight he looks ready to go this year so that is great. Beaulieu looks like a star in the making. On Gallagher; after finding out about him I’m really pulling for him. I played Rugby with his dad years ago, I can see where he gets his lack of size from as his dad was small, but stocky and fit. I played more Rugby wiith his uncle Kevin who was taller than his dad, but ripped and fit. Sadly, he was killed in a helicopter crash years ago. I’m looking forward to seeing him become a star for the Habs. Well, pre-season ends on a good positive note! GO HABS GO!!!

3. savethepuck says:

I am hoping tonight’s game makes the Doom and Gloom club here feel better.
    How many games do you think Malone will be suspended for? Being unbiased, I think between 2 and 4.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

4. novahab says:

Ok Shanny time to make a point 25 games. He was vulnerable it was clearly a shot to the head with his elbow to injure. Have to shake my head is he just stupid or I believe he was full of steroids and that nakes his dangerous aggressive.

• Marc10 says:

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s the white jersey that makes Malone look much bigger. I guess black was sliming when he was playing for Pitts…

He’s going to get 5 or 6. Like that guy in Detroit. I’d be shocked if he only got 2.

Malone made no effort to avoid what was clearly going to result in a hit to the head on a vulnerable player. He’s that kind of guy. If I’m Boucher, I’d be concerned about losing him for more games later on in the year. You know Malone will be going back for more…

There are a couple of decent players out there in the League that play that way. Orpik and Lucic come to mind… Those guys are quickly going to land in jail on repeat occasions if they don’t adjust their game and their respective teams are going to suffer.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

5. JD_ says:

Shanny’s calculus is fairly naked: You hit the head, you’re gone. No ifs and or buts. He’s clearly workin’ with a carte blanche and will continue to suspend away.

It’s a bit like the post-lockout reffin’ and how it contrasted to the shiz show that was the norm prior to that. Zero tolerance, set the tone, establish a permanent mindset among the players. Full support from the league.

All the discussion about what Malone intended to do is moot. The discussion about Campoli’s positionin’ is also moot. Moot galore. A veritable mootfest. Its impact will be felt in the length of the 99% likely suspension. This isn’t about Malone, it’s about Shanahan’s long-term objectives.

Frankly, if Shan’s gonna start ditherin’ and triangulatin’, it’ll be when the job and its associated pressures start gettin’ to him. Way, way too early for that. Doesn’t even have that red Burkie glow to him yet.

6. kempie says:

Nice game for Gomez. Keep in mind that his actual salary is now $7.5M versus a cap hit of $7.3M. This year is the Gomez equinox, if you will. Next year, his salary is $5.5M. The days are getting shorter from here on. But nice game, really. Timo, I’m looking at you man.

7. Neutral says:

Habs just won big, hope it’s a good sign to come.

8. AK_PK_Usay says:

WOW, Benoit Brunet is such an idiot, I even recall when he said MaxPac hit was a hockey play.

And now he’s like “why are we suspending people now when it was alright before” I did catch BB play, and he was soft… now he’s acting like he was made of stone.

WOW, Now Mario Dumont is saying that if you remove fighting, the game will get more violent..

WHY AM I WATCHING RDS!

9. Un Canadien errant says:

Benoit Brunet is an idiot. He contends that Campoli should have kept his head up. That would have prevented him from being elbowed in the face while being hooked from behind.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

10. The Dude says:

Nice to see a win in good fashion like this but things like one guy chasing the Habs around for 3 periods till someone gets hurt is stupid! Good on Gorges though for late step-up.Now here’s my problem…I’f one man can cause so much havoc what is gonna happen when we play Boston”I know the answer” or Burkes team of Marlies or the Philly flyscats?Moen’s playing like Laroque and White’s a middle weight so if I was Gauthier I’d go get a Hitman who can play the game!Maybe we should of got Kanopka after all?

• Sharks9 says:

Did having goons stop Cooke from hitting Savard? Nope! Shanahan will do more than any good ever could for protecting players.

25 before 14

• The Dude says:

A hitman who can play the game is no goon…Neil,Lucic,Malone,Kanopka can all play hockey,so where’s ours???

• solomio says:

Look…somebody needed to punch Malone’s lights out. He was looking for trouble all night long. He had free reign over the Habs and he actually acted like he knew it. If someone had nailed Malone earlier in the game that head shot may never have happened.Yes Malone can play hockey and he’s a bully.
        And he has to answer to Josh Gorges. Yes so its hard to find a respectable player who’s 6’3 and 220lbs and can throw ‘em good and contribute offensively / defensively. We still need him regardless. Now I’m not talking an idiot goon I’m talking a good hockey player with whom you don’t want to mess and who will smack down trouble before it gets ugly.Like it did tonight for Campoli.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

11. Marc10 says:

Ole! Ole!

Finally. Love the Gomer thus far. 82+ 16 odd more post season outings like that Scotty and all is forgiven.

Malone. What a douche. Shanny?

I hope Campoli is OK. I thought he fit right in. Nice to see Diaz and Spatch play well in support.

My man Darche. I love that guy. Josh, Skillsy, Gio, Colester, Cams… And of course… the best goalie evah! :-)

Cannot wait to see Markov and Eller join in the fun. I guess JM and PG are alright afterall – LOL!

Here we go! That game was just what the doctor ordered. Now let’s paste Burkey’s mob and get the show on the road.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

12. bolder says:

Talk about a goon would not have prevented the cheap shot from Malone is true. However, with Malone on the ice it would have been nice to have the goon charge him and pound his face in instead of Georges get his ass kicked. Same old shit, another season of watching hab players go down without any retribution.

13. Captain aHab says:

Benoit Brunet doing his best to defend the Neanderthals.

14. Everlasting1 says:

We’ll see how Shanahan sizes up on that head shot. Should be a min. 5 game suspension or a potential 10 games. Considering his goon demeanor during the game including his unwarranted beatdown on the undeserved and smaller Gorges, I say a hefty suspension is in order.

——————————————————————-
    When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Propwash says:

Gorges did go after him, Malone is not just going to stand there and be a punching bag, no player would.

• Everlasting1 says:

He wouldn’t be a punching bag, it was no contest. Though good job taking him down.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Billyboy says:

Hey, everlasting 1, enough with the biblical quotes. This is a hockey site not a holy roller site.

• Everlasting1 says:

Yea, I’d look at a 10 gamer on that one.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

15. Big Ted says:

Suspension length-wise, this is worse than MacArthur’s shot so it’ll be more than 2, but not as long as Wisniewski’s 8, since by the record, Malone is not a repeat offender (even though he HAS done this before)… I’ll say it’s something similar to what Smith from Detroit got and say 5-6 games.

• Captain aHab says:

He’ll get 2 because Campoli moved his head into the check.

• Big Ted says:

Chicago’s Smith (who was hit), toe-dragged and put his head down. It didn’t matter. Shanahan’s made it clear the onus is on the guy making the hit. Campoli’s head was down before Malone lined him up AND the initial point of contact was the head. It’s a clear violation and it will likely end up being a suspension similar in length to Detroit’s Smith… 5 games (maybe 6, given that Smith also sat for part of the pre-season and that Malone threw a head shot last year).

• Everlasting1 says:

Moved his head into the check?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

16. Chuck says:

PJ Stock trying to explain away the Malone hit….

17. jimmy shaker says:

Just fininshed watching the game……Malone didn’t do anything dirty! Doesn’t warrent a suspension at all. They have to call the major penalty because it was a hit to the head, but he didn’t target campoli’s head at all to warrent any further action by shanny. malone was going in for a big hit, but when campoli saw the hit coming he lost control of the puck and kind of squatted towards the ice, Malone was committed to the hit which would’ve been right in the crest of campoli, but as soon as campoli ducked, the head became the contact point. These are the grey area’s of this new rule! No suspension! MAB was sweet out there though.

Shaker

• Captain aHab says:

He’ll get 2 games so no biggie.

• Sharks9 says:

It was at least as bad as MacArthurs last night so he’ll DEFINITELY be suspended, as he should be.

25 before 14

• Shane1313 says:

If watch closely he targeted the head. Not saying it was intentional, not saying it was terrible. But guaranteed, that hit will be deemed reckless. He’ll likely get a couple.
      And I have to disagree MAB wasn’t good at all.

• jimmy shaker says:

malone committed to the hit, arms and elbows in, the hit lands to the head after campoli loses the puck and ducks at the last second to avoid the colision. How is malone supposed to stop his momentum and avoid campoli’s head in all of a fraction of a second? MAB was very good in his own zone tonight! Be honest!

Shaker

• TOEmastro says:

see, I was with you until you said “arms and elbows in”, he clearly followed through with his arm after contact. Have you ever played hockey? it’s really tough to hit the head and only the head if you’re aimin’ middle mass. Most guys make a point to not crack the goalie in the face with an elbow when he covers the puck and you skate by but it’s excusable for players? I call BS on that.

Olé, olé, olé oleé

• Chorske says:

Jimmy’s full of it. Replay shows Malone with one arm out, making contact with Campoli’s head. Drives me crazy when the testosterone and WWE crowd come on here and accuse the rest of us of being girls because we just want the fecking game played according to the rules.

• jimmy shaker says:

Ya, his arms came up because he just absorbed some of the hit or impact, also to keep his balance. The hit was not dirty in the least, unfortunate yes, but not dirty. 5 min penalty for sure as the rule states, but no further action from shanny at all. And yes I’ve played hockey, and still do!

Shaker

• Chorske says:

how badly were you dropped on yer damn head when you waz little

JAYSUS MURPHY that check might as well have been on the WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF FROM THE GAME video

• jimmy shaker says:

Easy boss……..let’s just eliminate body checking or any source of contact between the players at all so nobody gets hurt! Pick up your purse on your way out!

Shaker

• Chorske says:

And cue the misogyny anytime someone dares to suggest the gorram rules should be enforced for the good of the game. Maybe reread my post: I do not scorn the rougher aspects of the game, but rather those who make deliberate attempts to injure. And also: jackasses.

• Shane1313 says:

100% agree with you Chorske. Shaker – it was never once mentioned to “get rid of any source to contact”. If you opened your eyes, you’d realize this hit fits the description of a hit that warrants a suspension. The rest is up to Shanny. Nobody ever says take away the physicality, but yet people like you jump on anyone who simply want “dirty” hits out of the game.

• jimmy shaker says:

Although the vocab is cute……..have to disagree on the deliberate attempt to injure. Only he (malone) can know that one. I was ready and willing for shanny to throw the book at him, but upon seeing the replay and calming down……..campoli ducked at the last second, lunged for the puck that he lost upon seeing malone at the last second, and with malone already engaged for the hit, campoli’s head became the point of contact. It’s a bad luck play, but not a dirty hit. Let’s try to be objectionable here!

Shaker

• Chorske says:

I am ALWAYS objectionable.

• jimmy shaker says:

Reply for shane: Warrants a five minute penalty with a review for sure! But nothing further will come of it! Not a dirty hit in my opinion!

Shaker

• HardHabits says:

Shaker. It was a hit to the head. Malone tried to tangle with PK early in the game and took a nice run into Price. He was acting like a roid rager all night.

How much do you want to bet Malone gets a few games suspension and not nothing?

• Naslund26 says:

Totally disagree. Malone knew exactly what he did immediately, as soon as the ref blew the wistle he started to skate towards Campoli to apologize. He frikkn knew

Both Habs games he was out pretending he was king shite, I hope he gets the whole meal deal from Shanny.

Also I hope Campoli is ok, I thought he was fitting in perfect.

PS.MAB wasn’t resigned by many teams for a reason POOR DEFENCE. He coughed up the puck at least twice in the times I noticed him. Great shot on the PP though.

• Shane1313 says:

I understand what you’re saying for sure. I was actually the opposite, at first I just sighed, but as I got a real look, it looked reckless. I think he’ll get 2 likely. It wasn’t excessively dirty, but it looked as though the head was the principal point of contact..and you know what that means.
        Have to agree about MAB, glad he isn’t here. I mean I like him but..

18. Shane1313 says:

Here I am thinking Guy Boucher was the second coming of Christ. Silly me.

19. Annoying fact: Malone has a clean suspension record. 2-4 games max, I’m betting 2.

20. HabFab says:

Dogs beat the baby Sens 4-3.

21. FishOutOfWater says:

i was working and missed the game. what lead to the victory? how did we do it?

Nice game hope campoli is ok. Diaz makes some nice patient plays with the puck.

23. Big Ted says:

Here’s Malone on Pascal Dupuis last year… no suspension, but he’s clearly done this before:

24. Sharks9 says:

Malone has never been suspended before so the suspension won’t that severe. Maybe 5 games?

25 before 14

• Big Ted says:

No prior suspensions, but as I posted above, he threw a head shot last year that many thought should have been a suspension (and which would be under the new rules).

• slapshot777 says:

Maybe Shanahan will use a Colin Campbell excuse that he has a clean record. Malone has never been a clean player in his career and this crap has no place in hockey. It’s time for Shanahan to lay down the law and punish with lengthy suspensions that will hurt in the pocket book as well.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

25. scavanau says:

Does this mean I can take the bag off my head?

26. otter649 says:

Sure The Habs are more pleased to be going to Collingwood Ont. instead of “The Teen Ranch” for their team bonding etc…….

27. Danno says:

And the three stars go to three G’s

1 – Gomez! New & improved
    2 – Gionta
    3 – Gorges

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. HabFab says:

Decisions, decisions…watch Chantal and have to listen to the petit tiger and whatever other blow hards are on ??
    Nah, movie time me thinks.

29. Chorske says:

HAH! Gorges got didn’t just go after Malone. He dropped him and got cut in the process. BOO YAH. THAT is toughness, kids. THAT is the kind of toughness that a team needs. And that is the kind of toughness the Habs already have.

Now: Shanahan needs to do his job. Four games to Malone, minimum.

30. youngwun says:

Id say 2-5 games for malone.

31. GrimJim says:

Were those the same two teams?

32. Mark C says:

Tampa should consider canning their coach after this embarrassing and goon filled “performance”.

33. AK_PK_Usay says:

finally the real deal can begin

34. Let the season begin.

Shanahan. Just do what you have been doing lately.
    Malone deserves it.

Good job team. Great f’ing heart shown by Josh.

35. OneTimer says:

MILF-y Chantal in fine form tonight, my night just got better

36. Chuck says:

Ladies and gentlemen, your Montreal Canadiens.

Looking forward to seeing how Campoli is. Hopefully no concussion.

38. Propwash says:

No PK/Price lo fives?

39. pmaraw says:

that outta get em started on the right foot. hope campoli is ok, didnt see him out there after the headshot.

40. HabsFanMTL says:

i want to know how campoli is !!! i love that guy he’s great with Gorges

41. Chorske says:

MUCH, MUCH beter puck support tonight. Still not 100%, but it’s better than it has been. For the record, I don’t think JMs style is the dreaded “trap”. It’s more of a support system where the puck carrier never has to pass further than 20′ and always has at least two options in terms of people to pass to. And tonight the Habs finally feel like they’re helping each other out like a unit.

Also, I don’t find this kind of hockey boring. I actually think this is quote unquote “proper” hockey.

42. MasterHab says:

Malone has been looking for trouble all night. Unfortunately the Habs do not employ anyone who can deal with his ilk so we were forced to wait until he did something dangerous. If someone had just beaten the crap out of him back in the first when he went after PK he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to take Campoli’s head off.

You can put in any rules you like to deal with players AFTER they commit such offences but if you want to prevent them from happening in the first place you need a measure of deterrance on your roster. Malone did what he did because he could. Gorges stepped up and Malone took him apart.

Get ready for another season of turning the other cheek and having that cheek get slapped too.

43. HabsFanMTL says:

i say we need a couple of Big Goons , i’m plain tired of this crap happening with no back up, white is a middleweight and moen doesn’t always step up

44. otter649 says:

See Weber filling in on defense for Gorges…..

45. riddler says:

That MALONE hit is exactly what the NHL wants out of the game. Let’s see how bad they want it out. To me, the fact that it happened in preseason makes it even more sickening.

46. jbroderi says:

I think one thing the league should do in regards to suspensions is to watch the players behavior for the whole game. How was he playing earlier in the game, etc. Malone was cruising around like a grade A goon all night, so it is hard to cut him any slack with that hit. I’d say 1 to 2 reg. season games for a minimum.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if PG was smart …He will offer Josh a rewritten multi-year contract by Christmas

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

48. JD_ says:

Malone has been in FullDouche™ mode all night. Hope he gets some decent golf in durin’ his four-gamer.

Way to stand up, Josh.

That last goal was just…plain…sad.

Heh.

49. LL says:

Malone was an accident waiting to happen. And his coach, The Great GB kept playing him.

• Nina76 says:

Yes because the coach knew what he was hoping would happen……and it did…………Shanahan go for it, they will learn in time …..I hope this is what we are going to see for the rest of the year,great game ………………I believe!!!!!!

50. Chorske says:

OK, I’m starting to see the Diaz thing. Smooth, unruffled play the point under pressure. Like seeing that.

51. habsfan reduxit says:

… I’m embarrassed to note that Ryan Malone is the son of one of my native sons, Greg Malone, a star at my old high school in Fredericton, and a pro with Pittsburgh. After witnessing Ryan’s display of goonery tonight, I wish he had never learned to skate.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

52. Tony McLean says:

Don’t blame Malone, blame Ghandi Gauthier and Mary Martin.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

53. You could tell right from the first shift than Malone was going to do something stupid tonight.

54. Propwash says:

Pleky going all Koivuesque there.

55. Chorske says:

The best way to punish a team for a horseshit play.

56. YES CAMMY!

F YOU BOLTS. F YOU ALL.

57. otter649 says:

12 noon sunday a phone call to Ryan Malone from Mr Shanahan…….

58. Bill says:

Don’t think Malone meant to do that, but we’ll what Shanaban has to say about it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

59. Chuck says:

Shannahan’s got some extra work on his plate tomorrow morning.

60. LL says:

5 games for the b!tch Malone. Don’t know if he’s a repeat offender, then more.

Boucher has turned into Julien.

61. Chris79 says:

Ryan White sees what’s goin on.. you need not to worry.. RW53 is gonna rearrange Malone’s Face this comin season…

62. SeriousFan09 says:

When did Ryan Malone become such a horrific tool? Off-season training with Milan Lucic and Matt Cooke?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

63. Chorske says:

Over under on the suspension: I say five games.

64. Let’s see how consistent Shanahan is. That f***er doesn’t deserve to play in the regular season. Suspend his a**.

65. AK_PK_Usay says:

GORGES GORGES!!!

WHAT HEART!

66. riddler says:

Malone=coward!

67. OneTimer says:

gorges: heart of a lion

Malone is such a douche bag.

69. JIMVINNY says:

Dirty SOB. He’ll get games for that.

70. McKanadiens says:

Gorges is the captain of my heart.

71. Mark C says:

Thought Stevie Y and Guy The Great didn’t stand for that stuff?

72. Everlasting1 says:

Wow

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

73. PrimeTime says:

Josh the Warrior! That’ll be a couple of games fro Maloney

• HardHabits says:

What he lacked in height he made up for in heart. Nice take down tackle of that idiot Malone.

• slapshot777 says:

Should be more than that, he should get anywhere from 5-10 games. Malone tried to hit Campoli in the head with his elbow. It was deliberate. Malone has been dirty all night and once the game was over he decided to be a bag of monkey shat.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.